• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long did it take you to master the CG combo's?

Kain6th

Smash Ace
I'm just learning now, man they're hard to get right. I'm just struggling with the forward throw combo. The back one feels near impossible. So how long did it take you guys? Was there something about it you weren't getting before you mastered it, that when you finally got it you did?

I bet it feels pretty awesome when you pull it off. I'd think people would give you respect for doing it.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Q&A -_-
Anyway it took me about an hour to get the timing and a week to perfect it
just practice on a heavyweight like bowser and it'll be allright

X-FACTOR

Smash Journeyman
It took me a while. Although I was persitant and finally got it. I remember I was so determined to learn them I stayed up all night one time and eventually got the hang of it. I didn't master it, I just got the hang of it. As the months passed by the diffrent grabs stacked up on eachother to where I'm really persitant now.

Just take your time, learn each grab and it will eventually all build up on itself. :)

Kage Me

Smash Ace
I still can't do it consistently on some characters. Judging from videos, though, everybody messes them up at least once a match so I don't feel that bad about it.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
In total, it probably took me about 10-20 hours total to get consistent with their chain grabs, though I don't concentrate on them much. I just learned the Fthrow chain grab and Bthrow chain grab originally, since it's possible to chain grab everyone with those.

There're important chain grabs that I haven't learned until recently simply because I don't use them all that much (I didn't learn the Bthrow > Dthrow chain grab until HOBO 15, in the middle of a tourny match against a Lucas).

Also, most people don't respect Ice Climber users that can consistantly chain grab, it's more of "wow you suck, play with skill" without actually trying it themselves, but that's what happens when you play ICs ^^

(I think there's only one person who's ever respected me for being good at chain grabbing, who didn't also main or alt ICs. Personally I don't think it matters though, if you play to win.)

TheStig

Smash Lord
i first learned how to dthrow- f-throw which took about a week or 2 then it took me a month to figure out how to cg light characters

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
i can cg light characters and heavies with hobbling, but i have trouble with the middle weight characters
heavies i hobble
middles i b-throw -> f-throw
lights i b-throw -> d-throw

meepxzero

Smash Master
Couple of months... you learn it the best under tourney settings.

if your trying to learn fthrow cg id give up on that one. I found it to be the most unreliable cg because if your nervous ull end up dashing instead of walking forward to grab.

nasir123

Smash Ace
well it took me a while but trust me man fer heave waits use 2cg's and then b-throw footstool ice block reset and then repeat it is the most easy thing or just d- throw f-throw and repeat and fer light waits just do a simple b-throw d-throw but make it fast fer mashers like NIKOK

YUNq PHR3$H

Smash Journeyman
Also, most people don't respect Ice Climber users that can consistantly chain grab, it's more of "wow you suck, play with skill" without actually trying it themselves, but that's what happens when you play ICs ^^
That is exactly true:laugh:
Deadasss that is like teh most
''Truest'' thing Ive heard so far on ic boards
"wow you suck, play with skill"
People say that ALL THE TIME when i cg them && pwn em
Smh i get tired of people saying that when they get grabbed
&& Most of the people use mk so whats the problem:ohwell:
Meh.. well back to the topic:)
It took me quite ah while to learn how to cg
I kept on giving up but then i kept trying
Like a couple weeks kin' do it if your presistant enough
It also depends on the type of character so juss keep
On trying till' u get it:chuckle:
BTW:: if u get tired of learning cg's
USE HOBBLING O.O
I do ah big assortment of cg's
Like b-throw to b-throw,d-throw,f-throw,b-throw
:chuckle:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i still have not mastered em

but i usually go for the easiest stuff

bthrow dthrow on light chars
hobble heavies

for mid weight ehhh i suck at cging them

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Lmao @ the lack of IC mains in the room XD. Took me 10 hours total to get it down give or take about 5-3. I keep practicing them tho to find ways to make them faster/easier. Once you can do the bthrow chain with dash grab input, then you are pretty much set. Ignore fthrow chain, its not that useful unless u wanna move ur opponent to the ledge for a spike and doing so is ALWAYS gonna be somewhat difficult past the 4th or 5th throw.

Corrupted Mind

Smash Cadet
Couple of months... you learn it the best under tourney settings.

if your trying to learn fthrow cg id give up on that one. I found it to be the most unreliable cg because if your nervous ull end up dashing instead of walking forward to grab.
If this is true, than what would you recommend for heavier characters? Sorry if its a noob question.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
It took me like weeks to practice the basic throws after seeing a video, mostly b-throw and f-throw. (Didn't know d-throw until I was told) At first, I was able to chaingrab by putting 0.5 ratio against my friends online, and they called it a "glitch." xD I do practice in training mode often too, but I wanted an online chaingrab experience. After learning the basic CGs, I started practicing the advanced chaingrabs; it took months to practice a bunch of 'em, and I was able to do most of them. ^^;

I don't even know how many hours, weeks, or months I practiced the grabs, so I can't tell specifically.

lain

Smash Master
It took me months, realistically, to get these cg's down consistently.

Everyone saying they "perfected" it in a week or a month or w/e is lying. You don't get that kind of consistency and ability to perform under pressure (in tournament) to 0-death in a short amount of time. You just don't.

In fact, this title is misleading. Meep and I are probably one of the only people who do it near 100%.

Not that people can't do it well. It's just I've never been proven wrong on that.

:colorful:

meepxzero

Smash Master
If this is true, than what would you recommend for heavier characters? Sorry if its a noob question.
alternating dthrows. You literally just have to time the first grab but after that you can judge when to regrab when you walk past whoever is dthrowing. I hope that made sense but ive found that the most effective for heavies/mid weights.

and what lain said youve only perfected it when you can do it a 100% in tourney games. I remember me and lain were ashamed at how unconsistent hylian was XD, but then again at cot4 he pretty much quit ic. But he made it seem like he never messed up.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
i can do it about 60-80% offline. maybe just 40-60% if there are just heavy/midweights and about 80-99% when they´re just lightweights =)

and meep and lain... should go double ic´s in teams and cg synchronously

SkylerSilver

Smash Journeyman
It took me a month. Including the breaks. Because my finger kept hurting me while pressing the Z button >_> and I almost mastered them. ^_^

Teh Future

Smash Master
thinkaman plays her :)

lol the trick is the walk forward enough with popo when you dthrow that way the input for the bthrow works more consistently.

And holy ****. Tournament settings **** up everything. so much. And Im not even talking about local tournaments or anything. When you are sitting next to 1337 *** players for the first time you are going to **** up.

I thought I had CGs down well. Then I played people who are better than me at "Kahoka me your Moves" and looked like a scrub. Since then Ive been practicing every day but I think the only way to get good at them consistently is NOT to get it down in practice mode.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
It took me months, realistically, to get these cg's down consistently.

Everyone saying they "perfected" it in a week or a month or w/e is lying. You don't get that kind of consistency and ability to perform under pressure (in tournament) to 0-death in a short amount of time. You just don't.

In fact, this title is misleading. Meep and I are probably one of the only people who do it near 100%.

Not that people can't do it well. It's just I've never been proven wrong on that.

:colorful:
Well that kinda puts me at ease a little know it took you 'months.' :laugh:

But seriously though you make it look so easy in that video i posted.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
If I had the time to practice them, I would be doing them faster than I am now (takes me well over half a second to wait for Nana to reposition herself because I haven't gotten used to holding the grab button longer for her to powershield). Unfortunately, I haven't so I wouldn't know what it is like to speed grab perfectly like how some do. ( I too have issues against Jigglypuff. That thing just ruins everything...)

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
It took me about a month and a half to be able to do them somewhat consistently. Then again though, during those months all I really did while playing Brawl was practice them.

Vlade

Social Outcast
It's way harder to chaingrab well in tournament.

I still haven't mastered them because I panic a bit when I hear my opponent mashing his controller >_>

Kain6th

Smash Ace
It's way harder to chaingrab well in tournament.

I still haven't mastered them because I panic a bit when I hear my opponent mashing his controller >_>
I know that would freak me out a bit too cuz you're thinking, ' oh crap I gotta go quicker or else he may somehow escape.'

Btw I think I have the Back to Forward CG down pretty well especially on Mario and Luigi. Now im gonna try to do it to some random noob on wifi. I think ill only be able to do it if i get in a taunt party and just do it on a serious person if there is one. The input lag will probably be annoying but might be manageable.

shadownoss45

Smash Cadet
um.. when people say it takes them about a week i think theyd mean on heavy characters or something cuz it took me only a little while to be able to chain grab donkey kong consistantly but i cant chain grab light weights yet.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Lets see

10 mins for down throw to fair

6 months pass by without me learning much

I tell holy to come over.
He chokes and doesnt show up.
I tell him to come over another day.
**** happens and he cant go.
I tell him to come over one last time and if he doesnt come il learn how to cg his rob 0 to death.
His bus pass expired that day and he couldnt take the bus.

The next day i knew how to cg every char 0 to death.

In total, 1 day and 10 minutes, witha 6 months interval in between.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
it takes months to cg CONSISTENTLY every character in the game from zero to death fast enough. everyone who says anything else just can´t do the cg´s consistently.

Fhd

Smash Rookie
noones got them perfect i think, everyone messes up. Iv been practicing since around april

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I still can't do them consistently. I've been practicing in my spare time for about a month. I've got Dthrow down but not Fthrow and Bthrow CGs. My friend says Fthrow is easier, but I don't get how it is.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Its been about three months, and i can do fthrow chains consistently, and bthrow -> f/dthrow chains somewhat less consistently lol

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
About...4 months I'd say? I've been practicing ever since they were discovered. I can do pretty much every CG on every character (Not Bthrow>Bthrow on heavies though D: ) But offline I can do it really consistently. But either way my IC's don't really focus on CGs.

Fhd

Smash Rookie
offline is much easier when cging then online, faster, less lag, and just overall easier

Shadowblazen

Smash Cadet
It's taken me 2 months to get to where I am now with the chain grabs. This is what I found is simplest for me: B-throw > D-throw on light and middle weights, B-throw > dash grab > F-throw on heavyweights. But D-throw > F-throw on heavyweights is something I'm starting to like a bit more now. I'm trying to work on my F-throw and B-throw chains so that I can chain grab on platforms. And that's where I'm at now. Oh, and hobbling I can do, but I don't really like it. Also, I was really happy when I learned you can use C-stick + Z to charge an up smash for the kill. Before that I would always use Analog Up + A and that would lead to epic fail whenever Nana accidently did an U-throw. Now, no more epic fail (at least with that issue).

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I just suck at consistently cg-ing with the ics. I can desynch fairly well and do other things with them, but I can't time the regrab at all. Can anyone help me? If so, I've got a solid secondary.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
collectively... maybe about 3 or 4 hours practice-wise

cg lights and hobble heavies

this stuff is soooo easy compared to a lot of the melee ic's desynch combos i made up

Top Bottom