• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's the point?

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Link to original post: [drupal=1549]What's the point?[/drupal]

I've been a big Sonic/Mario (Nintendo) fan since I was small. I've loved the Smash Bros. series to pieces and really enjoy playing Brawl.

Joining SWF has opened my eyes on how to play the game better, taught me stuff and allowed me to considerably improve my skill. I've made quite a few friends as such and in general had fun on the site. Whilst I believe there are always things still to learn, I consider myself a perfectly capable and able player and I'm always wanting to play and improve. I'm also pretty competitive when it comes to this game so I love to have a challenge and SWF has been a place that's allowed me to find people with skill to play against. Competitive Smash is something I've always wanted to do which is why I'm always trying to improve myself.

But recently, I can't help but ask myself this burning question.

What's the point?

I only get to play a select few people offline and only 1 or 2 of them are actually any good. If I ever did manage to escape my hectic and busy life, I could try and play Smash competitivly but 1. I have an irrational fear of going to Smash Bros. tournies due to fear of being ridiculed and 2. I live in the UK. Even if I could play Smash competitivly, it wouldn't really be noticable or stand out even if I was any good since it's mainly the US where competitive Smash Bros. stuff matters to people.

It seems bizzare that I chase this hobby of becoming a skilled, well respected (I guess pro) smasher when it looks pretty darn futile of actually getting anywhere near that level. I guess there's always the few people I play offline and the option of online but they both have their problems. And that's not going to really get me anywhere higher than where I am today.

And yet I still play the game, practice new AT's, try and find new things, learn match ups etc etc.

Perhaps hopefully one day I'll get over my fear of going to tournies or be able to visit the US and get closer to this idea of mine but...until then, I'll just throw Turnips at you because I know full well you can't powershield them online

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Take it from your fellow Englishman.

You do it because you love it.

Also it's because SWF is the best forum on the interwebs.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully you can get the chance to play competitive someday;)
I don`t really mind doing online, it is still awesome,
and I would go to tournaments, but I don`t have a car and I don`t think
there are any in my area.

UncleSam

Smash Master
Also it's because SWF is the best forum on the interwebs.
If this doesn't help you I don't know what will,
I don't have to worry much since I live in NJ which is liek Brawl central, and I constantly play MK mains:urg:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Rick, nobody is going to ridicule you unless you come in with a Wiimote, and trying to get people to play FFAs with items on.

If you try your best, you can't go wrong.

@#$% I got instant recognition back when I just started to go to in-person tourneys and being able to give people a run for their money or even outright beat with Sonic, let alone doing it when I didn't feel like playing with the Gamecube controller.

Really you have nothing to worry about.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
but I don`t have a car and I don`t think
there are any in my area.
There are no cars in my area either.

Rick, nobody is going to ridicule you unless you come in with a Wiimote, and trying to get people to play FFAs with items on.

If you try your best, you can't go wrong.

@#$% I got instant recognition back when I just started to go to in-person tourneys and being able to give people a run for their money or even outright beat with Sonic, let alone doing it when I didn't feel like playing with the Gamecube controller.

Really you have nothing to worry about.
Yeah...I've never seen anybody ridiculed at a tournament. If someone ridiculed someone else, everyone around would (or should) turn and glare at the person who did the ridiculing.

And if you're using a character other than one of the ones that commonly wins tourneys, you'll get auto-respect. This respect turns into fear if you can manage to beat top players, otherwise they'll just think you're a cool person.

Basically: if you play a top tier and you're pretty good, most people will be at least a little afraid of you.
if you play a rare character and you're bad, you'll at least get some respect.
if you play a rare character and you're really good, people will fear and respect you ^_^

Flawless Fan

Smash Hero
I have an irrational fear of going to Smash Bros. tournies due to fear of being ridiculed
That's kind of how I felt before going to C4. The fact that I'm a girl didn't help, just meant that I'd probably be one of few there. I just kept telling myself that if I went, I'd meet a bunch of nice people. Which didn't end up happening because I'm really shy around people I don't know. The one guy I DID make friends with is only because my friend I brought picked a random person and told him to play friendlies with me.

And that fear of being ridiculed? I kind of had that too but got over it after Ally swiftly three-stocked me twice in a row. For all my other pool matches, a small swarm formed and most were laughing at how bad I did.

I now have the goal of being known in the MW as "that one chick who fails at tourneys"

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
And that fear of being ridiculed? I kind of had that too but got over it after Ally swiftly three-stocked me twice in a row. For all my other pool matches, a small swarm formed and most were laughing at how bad I did.

I now have the goal of being known in the MW as "that one chick who fails at tourneys"
At least you take it in stride. I haven't learned to do that yet. And here I am harboring that fear in FRIENDLIES! :urg:

It's... sorta why I don't play. I know when I'm not wanted. And I know NOW that the competitive community in my own area does not want me to be there.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
The one guy I DID make friends with is only because my friend I brought picked a random person and told him to play friendlies with me.
that's me XD

For the record, I was trying to figure out a way to talk to you girls. I was honestly wondering why you were all sitting there at the "girls tables" and not playing or anything. I just couldn't think of something good to say.

I was honestly considering walking up and saying "Excuse me, but I couldn't help noticing that you are females..." as a conversation starter, but your bold friend made it so I didn't have to lol.

And I'm sure Ally's three-stocked plenty of people who aren't "casual players" so don't worry about it.

At least you take it in stride. I haven't learned to do that yet. And here I am harboring that fear in FRIENDLIES! :urg:

It's... sorta why I don't play. I know when I'm not wanted. And I know NOW that the competitive community in my own area does not want me to be there.
Stop being emo!

If you aren't good, the best way to get better is to play better people. I feel kinda guilty when I beat people who aren't good, but I try to tell them what they're doing right/wrong without sounding too arrogant.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Don't be afraid of going to tournaments man, the people there are really cool, unless they beat you in the first round of your first tournament, and then they're Asdioh. I joke, I joke, but really... he did that.

But seriously man, I was scrub city at my first tournament, and then I went to my second and I improved a TON! I went from scrub to a good player, which was too good. (And now quite a few people know me.)

But don't go to your first tournament, give up, play the character that destroyed you in the few games you actually played, and don't go to tournaments anymore. In that case, I'd have to call you Trip. (I don't think he realized that it happens when you play Anther at your first tourney... lol)

Flawless Fan

Smash Hero
Could be because I'm a casual player and don't really care if I do bad. I'm used to losing. *coughser'sfaultcough*

For the record, I was trying to figure out a way to talk to you girls. I was honestly wondering why you were all sitting there at the "girls tables" and not playing or anything. I just couldn't think of something good to say.
Ashley demanded we sit there so she wouldn't feel as out of place. And both of us would rather talk to girls that we don't know than talk to (nerdy) guys we don't know. Plus I'm too timid to talk to guys if I don't know them >.>

I was honestly considering walking up and saying "Excuse me, but I couldn't help noticing that you are females..." as a conversation starter, but your bold friend made it so I didn't have to lol.
The only reason Ashley said anything was because I kept complaining that I had nothing to do and that I wanted to play friendlies.

(I don't think he realized that it happens when you play Anther at your first tourney... lol)
I played Ally at my first tourney, lol. IIRC Ally and Anther took first and second in singles.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Fear of being ridiculed? Allow me to give a life message:

An individual is always going to be teased and made fun of because of the things that they may do differently from others. People are always quick to judge those who try to make a change. But change is what makes the world a more convenient place, even though it lacks perfection.

The idea is to prove people wrong. You can't let the words of a lowlife change your mind.

Now on to the actual topic:

Rick, you contribute so much to this site as a knowledgeable and resourceful Peach player. So what if you can't apply your own wisdom at tourneys? You are bringing back to a large, worldwide online community. I hardly even know you and I've noticed this. You were a regular in leechaolan's welcome thread; you aren't just any person.

Competition is one thing, but it doesn't have to be top priority. Just keep researching and contributing and absolutely nothing will go to waste.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I suppose I would be in the same situation as you Rick, minus living in the UK. It doesn't help that if I did go to a tourny in my area, it would be Ann Arbor...and, yeah. It's wierd how some smashers would love to be where I live, while I just answer random questions that people bring up on here. :laugh: Oh well, I like to believe that I'm just not cut out for that kinda stuff, although I desperately wish I could.

But yeah, just follow your heartz' advice!

Rizul

Smash Cadet
Maybe we are all a bit scared from the big world. But as soon as you step inside the hall and see all the excited players you know you got nothing to worry about.

Hopefully I did not break your spirit yesterday Rick and that you still enjoy playing with me over wifi.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Aww thankyou Heartz ^^" And nah Rizul, I've been thinking this for a long time now

I should have made it a bit clearer...I'm not scared of meeting people or scared of people in the tournaments laughing at me (well, a bit I guess). It's mainly the reactions I might get from my friends and family

I don't want to sound like I'm disrespecting everyone here but...the idea of playing a game competitivly that's got characters like Super Mario in it...well, I can imagine that to people like my parents and friends who don't even have a Wii let alone Smash Bros, the idea is beyond ridiculous. I'm worried of how people I know would view me doing this hobby. It's not exactly the coolest thing in the world in most people's eyes. I have no idea how things work in the US but over here, I imagine it would sound pretty silly to most people

I do know one person who unbelievably had considered going to a tourney maybe once but thought he wasn't good enough. Maybe when exams are over I can try and persuade him to go with me some I'm not a loner xD

Fun fact: It took me over half an hour to originally post this blog because I kept trying to post it via New Post and it kept telling me I wasn't allowed to D: Silly me

chandy

Smash Journeyman
It's the same for me... live in england... my parents would laugh if I asked to go to a video game tourney... But I play smash coz it's my most favourite game which I have played since I was really small :3

Rizul

Smash Cadet
And your parents are probably right Rick. It remains to do for fun right? You can't really make your living out of it. In my eyes it is basicly a hobby like any other hobby. You are going to hate yourself if you screw up your school. Or did I get your message wrong?

Also your parents can't choose for you what you enjoy. Myself I don't like any forms of birthdays or funerals, so I never visit them. In the end they had to respect my choice because it is not like I hate them or something. Ok maybe bad example but I think you know what I mean.

Sorry if I got your message wrong but I just try to help one of my best wifi friends.

Just finish up your exams first Rick so the stress of that cools a bit off :).

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Why are you worried about how other people will react?

If they're really your friends/family that actually love/care about you, they will understand (or learn to deal with it) and they will stick by your choice. Some of them might talk you out of it but otherwise people who are true to this statement won't go any further than trying to discourage you (because let's face it, if a friend starts doing drugs, you can't tell them how to live life but you can try to persuade them to change, but if they don't want to... then might be time to make some new friends..).

Be a man... or a hedgehog... or some princess... d'oh screw it just go to tourneys if it would make you happy, I'm sure that's what people want from you. (but yeah, go be a hedgehog.)

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Rick you should set up a tourney! It isn't ridiculed in the slightest (well... depends on the area I suppose)... you might be pleasantly surprised at the reaction you get from people when you take them to a tourney 'environment' involving smash. And usually it's not just smash, but there are other events going on - iirc Trocadero could be a great venue to bag as they house the lot - tekken, street fighter etc etc... fighting games are part of a very competitive genre, whatever the characters imo.

I'm starting to run more serious weeklies in Brighton now, and I'm getting in touch with people to start organising bigger events. It's a slow burner... but I can see it developing. Perhaps you should look into starting your own scene... if not, then I know of some London brawl events happening every month.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I meant go play a hedgehog/Sonic in the game. -_-

You know what, do whatever would make you happy at a tournament, be it tier-w*****g MK or Falcon Punching your way to dead-last.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It's really not THAT big of a deal.

People travel distances to go to parties and get trashed, how is playing video games worse or more embarassing than THAT?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Seems I'm more than a little late here :/

Your friends show ridicule you if there your friends imo. Just think of it as a hobby that you enjoy. I know my advice is useless :/

Top Bottom