• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ike Video Critique Thread

Palpi

Smash Hero
Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbf3OhR40LQ&feature=channel_page&fmt=18
Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCypYeIIJJg&feature=channel&fmt=18

I'm in dire need of assistence, well dire is too strong of a word. Point is that I need advice/pointers to improve my gameplay. Perhaps suggestions as to what to include or take out from my gameplay.
Way too much rolling. Rolling can be decent used sparingly and if you are lucario, but against a quick aerial character like marth you will continue to get punished. @Gimp by QD. When you are that close to the edge there is no point to risk a gimp. Get back to the edge and use aether. You ran into so many grabs, not even shield grabs a lot were from your SHAD'ing too much. Also, when your opponent is on the ledge don't charge a dsmash (worst smash by far), wait for the marth to ledge hop and air dodge then get ready to punish that.

-Stop rolling and dodging air or ground (air dodge attacks that you know are coming not right into marths good grab range). Use nair combos more. (Nair > bair, nair jab combo) also when you grab him in mid percent (20-80%)bthrow - > dashattack will work. The marth was baiting your approach, try it the other way around with some retreating fairs.

metroid1117

Smash Master
_Sync_ Match 1

0:10 - You kept up your spacing with NAirs pretty well until here; you should try to avoid situations like these when you're in their air right over an enemy's shield. I know that you understand the concept of spacing from the beginning of the match, but I'm confused as to why you just jumped and came down; you were begging for a Dancing Blade out of shield, which would probably hit even if you airdodged.
0:12 - You DI'd the FSmash pretty poorly; you were DI'ing away to escape the FThrow chaingrab, but you should be expecting an FSmash to end it. The tipper is also pretty easy to SDI because of it's long hitlag, so just be more aware of that in the future. You never want to get offstage against a Marth, they will make you pay dearly if they know how to edgeguard you properly.
0:29 - You seem to be holding down the A button to perform your jab combos; there's nothing really wrong with that, but at low %s you should be focusing on building up any damage you can. Jab -> jab combo is a very easy way to get that extra damage in and is practically a guaranteed combo, so you should consider implementing that in your game.
0:38 - BThrow -> dash attack is more guaranteed to connect than BThrow -> NAir; it was probably the better choice in that scenario.
1:12 - It was a good opportunity to go for the dash attack after the BThrow, but you didn't take it.
1:15 - DI'ing the Dancing Blade hits upward would've saved you.
1:30 - You had liked to side-step his attacks earlier, so this time he read you and waited for it.
1:39 - You messed up your spacing on NAir again; rather than following through with your offensive when you saw your opponent coming in, you should've backed off by jumping around him instead of trying to hit him anyway.
1:53 - Another time when spacing went bad; again, instead of coming to the ground, try jumping over him.
2:06 - You had some weird uses for QD on this stock; it shouldn't be used very often at all, since it's very easily punished (especially against Marth, he has a lot of attacks that are fast and have long range that can interrupt QD pretty easily).
2:13 - When opponents recover back to the stage, they have two main ways to avoid from being edgeguarded: use an attack to ward off the opponent, or get around the opponent for a safer return (ie. stalling, airdodging, etc.). Playing patiently by staying just outside their range beats out both; if you just jump off the stage at an opponent but stay outside their range, you can watch for their reaction and respond appropriately. If they airdodge and are beneath you, it's a free DAir; if they attack it's a free BAir (assuming you kept your spacing), etc. Against Marth, you want to edgeguard him more patiently than others, since his speed and range allow him to ward you off more easily than other characters and because his recovery is very easily punished; trying to go straight for the kill/hit doesn't work well against him in particular.
2:22 - Playing patiently relates to here as well; you edgehogged him way too early. While you weren't really punished for the mistake, it could've cost you more if he hadn't been caught by the Aetherspike.
2:31 - Here, jab -> jab combo would've been a better option than just jab comboing.
2:37 - Yay, jab -> jab combo.
2:45 - Yay, BThrow -> dash attack.
2:56 - Sidestepping seemed to work earlier, but this time he caught on and waited. He also read your roll.
3:06 - DSmash?
3:46 - QD was a bad choice here, it could've been easily blocked and he might not have been knocked back far enough to make you safe.
4:01 - Bad DI here.

General comments: There were some times when DI'ing better would've saved you a lot of trouble; whenever you leave yourself open or expect a hit, start DI'ing upwards so that even if you miss the SDI, you are still DI'ing in the proper direction. There were several times where you messed up your spacing and ended up on top of your opponent's shield; that's always a bad position for Ike to be, you should try avoiding that by using your second jump (and airdodge, if your opponent starts chasing you with UAirs). You know how to jab cancel, but you don't apply it very much; jab -> jab combo is a near-guaranteed hit, and jab -> grab works very well (not as reliable as jab -> jab combo, but it still works); utilize it more so that you can mix up your game and keep your opponent guessing which way to DI (up to avoid the final hit of the jab combo or away to escape the jab cancels). Marth is very hard to fight against because you keep having to figure out ways to get around Dancing Blade and FAir; there were times when sidestepping worked, but after he started expecting it you didn't really switch your tactics. Overall, you have a good grasp of the basics; just play with more thought (playing more patiently, more jab cancels, realize when you're being read, etc.) and you'll be fine.

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
Thank you Palpi and metroid1117. I know that I excessively rolldodge, it's a bad habit that I'm still working on; in fact, I even scolded myself from time to time (considered putting a smiley here but they just don't work for me).

Patience is a new virtue that I need to grasp. I'm far too impulsive and rash when it comes to making a choice on the spot, but taking time to think things through does make sense.

metroid1117

Smash Master
(I know that your Ike is awesome already, so you can take some of these comments with a grain of salt.)

Ryko vs Shinbowser 1

0:11 - You competed the full jab combo instead of jab canceling; I'm thinking that you messed up the jab cancel on the second hit, which explains for the pause between the second and final hit.
0:20 - I think a NAir would've been a better option than DAir here; even if DK was below you, DAir would've just hit him into the ground and, since it has massive landing lag, would not have allowed you to follow up with much. NAir, on the other hand, would've popped him up pretty nicely for some potential ground/air stalking.
0:23 - You messed up your spacing and got a BAir in the face for it.
0:37 - It was unlikely that the DK would go under you; a RAR BAir would've been the expected response rather than rolling backward, but both options would beat out your DAir. From his spacing, he was expecting you to try and come down with a FAir like you did previously in the match.
0:56 - DK is a heavy character; rather than just doing a jab combo with no jab cancels, I think a jab -> jab combo for extra damage would've been the better option.
1:14 - Even though you probably would've died from the BAir even if you DI'd properly, that was still surprisingly poor DI; after he didn't react to the airdodge, it should've been an alarm to get ready to DI.
1:39 - Short-hopping an airdodge may have worked before, but this time he expected it and BAir'd you for it.
1:46 - DTilt? I'm assuming that you messed up.
1:56 - From how he recovered earlier, I don't think you should've attempted to spike him; both times
he was expecting the attempt, so he up+B'd and went for the stage as fast as he could.
2:17 - This time you expected him to up+B asap but he changed his recovery lol...
2:36 - The NAir at his back was iffy to me, I think he would've been able to get off a BAir OoS if he reacted fast enough.
2:42 - Lylat and Counter screwed you over.
2:51 - Another time when jab -> jab combo would've been a better option.
2:59 - He was expecting you to spot-dodge the supposedly-incoming jab/DTilt
3:33 - Again, he expected you to spot-dodge, but it turns out that releasing the Giant Punch late also covered your option of trying to rush him upon landing.

General comments: You played around with spot-dodging and rolling around your opponent's tilts, but eventually they caught on to your style and punished you for it. There were times when I thought you should've jab -> jab combo'd instead of just jab comboing for extra damage and you sometimes messed up your spacing, but other than that I think you played well; you did a good job of landing those BAirs out of nowhere.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKZnof_ZPws&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPU2l6b4yRc&feature=channel

Don't worry about Link's suicides. The guy received the superlative for most suicidal Sonic. And I totally made him do it on his last stock, match 2. (It looked like he would have lived if I tried to recover.)

Some good stuff, some dumb stuff- either guaranteed to make you lol or facepalm. Let me know what you guys think.

(This includes both constructive criticism AND reinforcing compliments, if applicable, please. I know some things I do wrong, and I want to know all of them, but I also want to know if there's anything you guys like in there.)

Palpi

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKZnof_ZPws&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPU2l6b4yRc&feature=channel

Don't worry about Link's suicides. The guy received the superlative for most suicidal Sonic. And I totally made him do it on his last stock, match 2. (It looked like he would have lived if I tried to recover.)

Some good stuff, some dumb stuff- either guaranteed to make you lol or facepalm. Let me know what you guys think.
That Link doesn't really like winning does he? lol :)

You tried to jab, jab - > grab like 3 times. The link obviously was trying to jump out of it so jab jab dash grab would have worked.

Stop using down air while you are coming down, air dodge then start jabbing. Dair didn't work in the 8 or so times you tried it.

Downthrow doesn't set up anything that can't be shielded or air dodged. At low percents when bthrow or fthrow to dash attack doesn't work, do one and space fairs until it would work. Ike is very easily punished if he hit a shield with any of his attack so against a more formidable opponent your matches would've been tougher.

Finally.. Walks into fsmashes and SD'd...not bad at all, just work on your spacing and try to get his "Throw -> insert attack here" down. dthrow to aether doesn't work if the concept of DI is grasped. Just try to buffer out those bad habits. You defintely have the basics down, just spacing and intelligent playing is key. Good stuff bret :)

Palpi

Smash Hero
I watched the first video.

Your spacing with your fairs was very off. Something that comes with experience, just work on those retreating fairs, especially against a gannondorf. He can't force you to approach, so bait his and punished with a retreating fair.

Your jab cancelling was very slow and you didn't do anything with it. Jab to grab works sometimes if close enough. If your opponent doesn't jump jab jab -> dash grab works.

Pretty much you just spammed fair and your opponent let you hit him. Fair shield = shield grabbed punishment. You obviously controlled the match, but it could have been worse. Try to incorporate nair into your arsenal. Nair can lead to jab combo, bair and w/e your hear desires.

2nd match. Same thing, way too much fair that wasn't shield or punished at all. Also incorporating grabs into your game is great aswell. Ike's grab game is very good. You can fthrow to dash attack and bthrow to dash attack around 20-80% on most characters (i think.)

Pretty much add some nair and some grab game and practice your jab cancelling. Good matches.

Practice spacing those fairs since you use them so often :)

*sorry for double post

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Can someone please brawl me and record so I can be critqued.
Judging from what I've gotten from playing you, all I have to say is you seriously need improvement in overall spacing, speed, reading the opponent, and not being way too simplistic. You know it's bad when the opponent has an easy time reading you, and everything you do is seen coming 5 seconds before it happens.

Palpi

Smash Hero
More like more people upload videos :)

Though wifi is a terrible example of skill it does show if you are doing stuff horribly wrong or not. It is hard to powershield and buffering with lag is hard and gets me killed all the time with metaknight. (Tornado and i get out of it then start drilling to my death without even presing it sigh..)

Comboking just play some random people near you on wifi so there is less lag.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
From a thread that should be locked now. It's my pal's Ike. I know it will hurt to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKaabkHJ4OA

He's much better with Marth, but likes playing Ike too. It didn't go that well against me.

What can he work on?
blarg ike vs sonic matches lol
hard to watch x_x
looks like he just picked up ike

needs better spacing with nairs and fairs,and better approaches

approaching with a dash doesn't work most of the time
learn to jab cancel and if you don't know what it is, it's jabbing then crouching down quickly right after,then jab again

it helps in getting in easier kills and overall rack up more damaga

umm pretty general overview :p
im sure someone else here can do a better job

ggs

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
From a thread that should be locked now. It's my pal's Ike. I know it will hurt to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKaabkHJ4OA

He's much better with Marth, but likes playing Ike too. It didn't go that well against me.

What can he work on?
Okay, what I'm getting:

-He's throwing WAY too many random attacks out. Especially against Sonic, you should not attack unless you know it will be beneficial in some way. And it's also best to know what attacks will put him in what situation immediately after. Meaning what has more lag, what can set up into what... etc.
-He needs to grab shielded enemies, not throw Fsmashes into them.
-Jabjabjabjabjab. Learn jab canceling. All you do is jab and then crouch. Easy as pie; you can do it.
-Stop landing with Dair. It has been a problem of mine, too. And it's a big problem-- it works a smaalllllll amount of the time.
-ALL 3 DEATHS were because of a lack of knowledge of Ike's recovery, and there was another near death because of the same thing. If you play Ike, you HAVE to be able to recover. Learn everything about Aether and QuickDraw.
-Speaking of QuickDraw. Don't.
-Also speaking of QuickDraw. Seriously, don't. Spacing tool against enemies without projectiles. SOMEtimes to mix up recovery in order to NOT be hit (this takes time and experimenting to learn). But do not consider it in your repertoire of common attaks. Ever.

He's just got to take some time (and it does take a bit) to better learn the basics of the game. From there, he should work on spacing, reading opponents well, and mixing up approaches (which is key to Ike's game). I myself need to better mix my approaches.

(To the Ike: ) I would like to see videos of future improvement. You had the first right idea of sending a video to be critiqued. And I can tell you now that it's the best way to get better. Keep it up. Ike is tough to learn, but to get good with him is a gratifying feeling. If you feel like you're improving, send another video in the future, and we can critique again, perhaps in more specific detail.

Rudementry

Smash Journeyman
Dang combo king you got some pretty sweet follow ups and set ups there. Definately showing improvement. Heck I'd maybe say you're almost as good as Slappy.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol alright,well i was kind of wondering since the last post was from weeks ago o_o
ok so a friend was kind enough to post these in high qualities lol^_^

Ike(Penta) vs ROB(kiz) match 1

penta(ike) vs wolfy(zelda) 2

oh and i'm already aware that i didn't do much jab canceling in both of these matches:p

thanks in advance

edit: i changed the first vid to an old vid i forgot that i had put up
quality isn't as great but i it's a better match IMO

ty again

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
I'll leave to long analysis to metroid lol

Just a few small points.
1. You attempted Jab->Grab a bit much and when you actually caught her, you pummeled too much. Try hitting once then throwing them.
2. Moar bair.
3. You got lucky with that Fsmash in the second match ~1:22. (nice end to that match btw)
4. As you already said, more jab cancelling.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I'll leave to long analysis to metriod lol

Just a few small points.
1. You attempted Jab->Grab a bit much and when you actually caught her, you pummeled too much. Try hitting once then throwing them.
2. Moar bair.
3. You got lucky with that Fsmash in the second match ~1:22. (nice end to that match btw)
4. As you already said, more jab cancelling.
lol >.<
i do jab into grabs alot you're right,i actually do it too much now:(,need to stop that
and yea,i need to include some jab canceling in it,just that everytime i jab once,i feel like grabbing instead:p.

i loved the ending on the second vid too,thanks:)

Palpi

Smash Hero
Space fair mores rather than whiffing the dair every time. Your opponents pretty much let you do what ever you wanted without getting punished like whiffing dairs off stage and excessive rolling.

WOW MARAUDER GET A DIFFERENT AVATAR!

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'll watch the first match and critique on it later; I'll edit this post when I do. Must finish homework first...

EDIT: Yay, done with Econ homework. Stupid AP test is on Thursday...

Is this Wi-fi? It says in the description that it's from a forum, so... but yeah, watching the video now. I'm going to assume that it's a Wi-fi battle though.

0:14 - DAir is not too good of a combo breaker, especially against a fast move like ROB's UAir at that distance. If you were sent higher up and more on top of him then it would be good, but at that range and angle you probably should've jumped away and airdodged.
0:27 - DSmash? I'm guessing you were trying to dash attack or something.
0:37 - He had used the get-up attack last time, and I think you were expecting it but dodged too early. If you weren't though, you should generally stay farther away from the edge at a FAir's length; you can cover many of their options just with FAir and USmash at that position.
0:41 - DSmash? Jab would've set up for more, in my opinion.
0:51 - Walk-off FAir is a very risky option; if your opponent was quick enough, he might've been able to edgehog you, since it's very difficult to make it back without the edge.
0:59 - Instead of jumping up from the edge, you probably should've gone for the edgehop DAir; even if you miss and he grabs the edge, you'd be able to Aether from below the stage after his invincibility ends.
1:13 - You ended up lucking out and hitting with BAir while he went down so he didn't DI it properly, but another alternative would've been to Aether him out of his up+B for damage; he can't airdodge unless he attacks, so it's a fairly safe option, especially against a big opponent like ROB.
1:38 - It's the second time you missed a BThrow -> dash attack and did an FTilt instead; it could be just Wi-Fi lag, but I just wanted to point that out. (I don't know what's the point of this comment lol.)
1:43 - Walk-off DAir might have worked, but you could've dropped down and BAir'd him for the stagespike instead of just letting him come up.
1:47 - You tend to only use Counter when you're coming down and jumping towards your opponent; I don't know if your opponent read that and attacked you before you could Counter, but just be aware of that.
2:05 - Again, DAir's hitbox is very limited in terms of horizontal range, so it's not a good combo breaker when your opponent's off to the side.
2:14 - It's hard to do over Wi-Fi, but you can actually DI out of ROB's DSmash just by holding up when you get hit. Straight up, it'll get you away from the last hit.
2:22 - BAir? I'm guessing that was just a mistake.
2:?? - 2:37 - That was some nice jab work, but keep in mind that if your opponent is good at DI'ing and buffering rolls, there's nothing much that's guaranteed from jab besides jab -> jab combo and jab -> grab; jab -> kick -> grab is not a true combo, as you saw when he escaped from it by rolling away (I think? I'm recalling it from memory, but I know he broke out). FThrow -> dash attack is not a true combo as well; it may work sometimes, but if your opponent is buffering a shield it will not work.

Overall, I was quite impressed; it seems like you've gotten a lot better at incorporating jabs into your game and pressing your opponent. You have the habit of using Counter only when you're falling down to the opponent and you always jump into them before it, so you might want to keep that in mind. This is good for Wi-fi, but keep in mind that long jab cancel "combos" don't work very well offline; just make sure you don't get into the habit of doing long chains. Other than that, good job.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I'll watch the second one then. I actually have a good amount of Zelda experience. Will edit this post with things you did wrong. I probably won't be putting down much "good job at this time", and just general good things. Ike's simple enough I can do that. XD

Video 2:

0:07 - Too many pummels. Ike's pummel is slow, I think about 1 every 20% damage the opponent had prior is a safe bet, and none before 10% damage.
0:09 - I'll assume the Dtilt was a mistake, but it costed you.
0:13 - bad fair spacing. It got the job done but you didn't retreat enough.
0:17 - Aether onstage can work against a few types of recovery, Zelda ain't one of them.
0:26 - Why did you go for a dash grab there? A standing grab is faster and safer.
0:31 - Not sure what you were trying to do there, running against the stage edge...
0:36 - Not a good time to try a surprise Eruption, and it's wasn't a very high reward at that low of %
0:46 - Can't really fault you for that QD. Against Din's Fire is one of the few times I would think QD > Aether.
0:55 - Ftilts while standing in one place doesn't help. >_>
1:00 - I didn't even know it was possible to hit someone with Fair like that. As in, with Ike's arms. WAY too close.
1:02 - Bad Fair spacing again.
1:25 - You got WAY too lucky there with the Fsmash. Seriously, I wish I could do that. >_<

Amazingly good ending string there to end it. I'll be honest and say that the Zelda wasn't that good however. She didn't try to use Dsmash to send you into your dead zone, random Up B on stage, didn't aim for the ledge with Up B, not enough Din Fire from long range, etc.

Palpi

Smash Hero
If you wan't to surprise people with eruption jab -> SH eruption if they are egressive you will get super armor.

Legitimately you can retreating wave bounce eruption. I killed people 4 times at Apex with it. It is epic.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I'll watch the first match and critique on it later; I'll edit this post when I do. Must finish homework first...

EDIT: Yay, done with Econ homework. Stupid AP test is on Thursday...

Is this Wi-fi? It says in the description that it's from a forum, so... but yeah, watching the video now. I'm going to assume that it's a Wi-fi battle though.

0:14 - DAir is not too good of a combo breaker, especially against a fast move like ROB's UAir at that distance. If you were sent higher up and more on top of him then it would be good, but at that range and angle you probably should've jumped away and airdodged.
0:27 - DSmash? I'm guessing you were trying to dash attack or something.
0:37 - He had used the get-up attack last time, and I think you were expecting it but dodged too early. If you weren't though, you should generally stay farther away from the edge at a FAir's length; you can cover many of their options just with FAir and USmash at that position.
0:41 - DSmash? Jab would've set up for more, in my opinion.
0:51 - Walk-off FAir is a very risky option; if your opponent was quick enough, he might've been able to edgehog you, since it's very difficult to make it back without the edge.
0:59 - Instead of jumping up from the edge, you probably should've gone for the edgehop DAir; even if you miss and he grabs the edge, you'd be able to Aether from below the stage after his invincibility ends.
1:13 - You ended up lucking out and hitting with BAir while he went down so he didn't DI it properly, but another alternative would've been to Aether him out of his up+B for damage; he can't airdodge unless he attacks, so it's a fairly safe option, especially against a big opponent like ROB.
1:38 - It's the second time you missed a BThrow -> dash attack and did an FTilt instead; it could be just Wi-Fi lag, but I just wanted to point that out. (I don't know what's the point of this comment lol.)
1:43 - Walk-off DAir might have worked, but you could've dropped down and BAir'd him for the stagespike instead of just letting him come up.
1:47 - You tend to only use Counter when you're coming down and jumping towards your opponent; I don't know if your opponent read that and attacked you before you could Counter, but just be aware of that.
2:05 - Again, DAir's hitbox is very limited in terms of horizontal range, so it's not a good combo breaker when your opponent's off to the side.
2:14 - It's hard to do over Wi-Fi, but you can actually DI out of ROB's DSmash just by holding up when you get hit. Straight up, it'll get you away from the last hit.
2:22 - BAir? I'm guessing that was just a mistake.
2:?? - 2:37 - That was some nice jab work, but keep in mind that if your opponent is good at DI'ing and buffering rolls, there's nothing much that's guaranteed from jab besides jab -> jab combo and jab -> grab; jab -> kick -> grab is not a true combo, as you saw when he escaped from it by rolling away (I think? I'm recalling it from memory, but I know he broke out). FThrow -> dash attack is not a true combo as well; it may work sometimes, but if your opponent is buffering a shield it will not work.

Overall, I was quite impressed; it seems like you've gotten a lot better at incorporating jabs into your game and pressing your opponent. You have the habit of using Counter only when you're falling down to the opponent and you always jump into them before it, so you might want to keep that in mind. This is good for Wi-fi, but keep in mind that long jab cancel "combos" don't work very well offline; just make sure you don't get into the habit of doing long chains. Other than that, good job.
yea it was wifi xD,most of my replays are wifi unless i specify it was a tourney match or something. The bthrow into dtilt was the lag mostly(not johning,the lag doesn't show in replays lol). The random dtilts and such are also due to lag o.O. I need to stop doing dair everytime i'm sent vertically up you're right xD. Same for counter,i don't think it's bad but i make it predictable at times,you were able to notice my bad habit of using counter as i come down lol. As for the walk off fairs,it's what a commonly do and i'll work on my offstage dairs and walk off bairs as other options

Overall thanks for the comments
Yea i have gotten used to throwing in a few jab combos in my play as you said but i have noticed it doesn't really work in offline play,people eventually DI' out of it as you said or shield in time so i try to avoid going for too many jabs.Characters like ROB or DK are always best for jabs though, i'm sure you already know this:p.Thanks again,i will consider what you said about dairs and bairs:)

I'll watch the second one then. I actually have a good amount of Zelda experience. Will edit this post with things you did wrong. I probably won't be putting down much "good job at this time", and just general good things. Ike's simple enough I can do that. XD

Video 2:

0:07 - Too many pummels. Ike's pummel is slow, I think about 1 every 20% damage the opponent had prior is a safe bet, and none before 10% damage.
0:09 - I'll assume the Dtilt was a mistake, but it costed you.
0:13 - bad fair spacing. It got the job done but you didn't retreat enough.
0:17 - Aether onstage can work against a few types of recovery, Zelda ain't one of them.
0:26 - Why did you go for a dash grab there? A standing grab is faster and safer.
0:31 - Not sure what you were trying to do there, running against the stage edge...
0:36 - Not a good time to try a surprise Eruption, and it's wasn't a very high reward at that low of %
0:46 - Can't really fault you for that QD. Against Din's Fire is one of the few times I would think QD > Aether.
0:55 - Ftilts while standing in one place doesn't help. >_>
1:00 - I didn't even know it was possible to hit someone with Fair like that. As in, with Ike's arms. WAY too close.
1:02 - Bad Fair spacing again.
1:25 - You got WAY too lucky there with the Fsmash. Seriously, I wish I could do that. >_<

Amazingly good ending string there to end it. I'll be honest and say that the Zelda wasn't that good however. She didn't try to use Dsmash to send you into your dead zone, random Up B on stage, didn't aim for the ledge with Up B, not enough Din Fire from long range, etc.
yea the dtilts were a mistake as always

Thanks,yea i also did notice how my fair game was lacking in that game:(
usually i pummel too much and they end up escaping but my usual intention is to pummel and throw.Unless it's a character i can pummel,jab, and pummel again,like oli lol. Haha yea,i don't usually do random ftilts but i almost never use it so that's why i was spamming it lol.I 'm still working on how to use ftilt still. Same for eruption:(,i really need to work on that,every time i use it i end up failing lo

Reasons i aether'd alot in this match because i know how my opponent plays,he's an old friend of mine lol. Also the reason why that last combo worked:p

anyway thanks to you too:)

Overall i still need work on when to use dairs,work on more offstage options,definitely work on ftilts and eruption. hmm well i'll post another vid in about another month or so and see how i do lol xD

thanks everyone:D

fraudster111

Smash Apprentice
The link to Bang's first match is broken, by the way >.>. Just as a suggestion for the structure of the OP, you should make it so that the name of the critic is the link to the critique by putting the name of the critique between the "url=as;lkjslfkjs" and "/url" (open/closed quotation marks = open/closed brackets) to save some space.

1st match (vs. Bionic's Ganondorf):

0:06 - QD as an attack has its uses, but not at 0%; it's massive cool-down time and minuscule knockback+hitstun will get you punished quite badly, even if you hit with it. At that range and %, it would've been better for you to go for the jab or grab.
0:10 - When using FAir, you want to abuse it's massive hitbox as much as possible by hitting your opponent with the tip of the sword; you don't have to (and shouldn't) jump into your opponent to score a hit.
0:15 - Again, QD is a bad attack to just throw out a low %s. It would've been better to go for the FAir or maybe NAir.
0:16 - As a general rule of thumb, you want to shut out your opponents with Ike's range while keeping them within range of your own attacks (spacing). Rather than moving into your opponent with NAir, you should've moved back from them. This would've put you in the position to follow-up the NAir with a short-hopped BAir.
0:20 - Counter worked the first time, but he was too far to hit with any aerial attacks; at that distance, the only moves he would be able to use are probably his down+B (which is weak) or side+B. Side+B, his best option in that scenario, cannot be Counter'd.
0:23 - Your spacing on the FAir wasn't too good; you should short-hop the FAir and try to hit your opponent with the tip of your attack.
0:25 - QD worked this time, but you're lucky that your opponent didn't just shield and punish you. You should only use it in a safe opportunity where your opponent cannot punish you and if you have no better options.
0:26 + 0:28 - There we go; this is where you should be hitting your FAirs.
0:32 - Nice use of QD; rather than connecting with it, you used it to get around and BAir him.
0:37 - DTilt in general is not a good edgeguarding move; you should've just edgehogged him rather than go for the spike, since they'll just auto-sweetspot. You could've also tried a walk-off DAir, but it would've been overkill and riskier than the edgehog.
0:40 - Rather than just staying on the edge, you should've tried to punish your opponent during his landing lag; Aether, FAir, DAir, or NAir would've been great options.
0:41 - Why did you FAir when your opponent was below and behind you? If it was a messed up edgehop, then that's understandable, but you should've done it earlier.
0:48 - Rather than QD, you should've abused your invinicbility frames and try running up with an USmash or using a dash attack.
0:50 - Instead of going fancy with the BAir, it would've been easier to just punish him with an USmash, which has a considerably bigger hitbox.
0:52 - You shouldn't have BAir'd when your opponent rolled away from you, nor should you have drifted towards your opponent when you saw that you missed.
1:02 - Why did you Counter after your opponent attacked?
1:05 - Instead of FAir'ing when your opponent was right next to you, you should've tried to go for the NAir, which can also set up for other attacks at that low %.
1:07 - Again, you should use QD.
1:09 - If you want to hit an opponent on the ground, you should short-hop FAir rather than use it from a double-jump.
1:11 - At that %, it would've been better to try and rack up damage with jabs instead of an FTilt.
1:13 - Rather than using DAir, which has very limited horizontal range, you should used an USmash to cover most of his options with its enormous hitbox.
1:15 - At close range, it's much better to jab than to FTilt.
1:20 - It was risky to Aether at that distance from the stage and right after he had grabbed onto the edge; don't be tempted into hitting auto-sweetspoters with Aether, wait for their invincibility to end before using Aether.
1:23 - QD worked, but short-hopping a FAir would've been a better option.
1:26 - You landed a NAir, but you should've tried to follow up from it earlier than waiting for a bit.
1:27 - Try not to drift towards opponents when you miss an attack.
1:30 - At that distance, he was too far to hit you with any aerial except maybe FAir; Counter was a bad choice, especially since you used it after he charged the FSmash (which had no way of hitting you).
1:31 - You weren't punished for it, but you shouldn't have moved towards your opponent after you missed the BAir.
1:32 - You shouldn't finish the jab combo when your second hit doesn't connect and when your opponent is behind you; you should've gone for the turn-around jab or grab.
1:35 - You probably should've gone for the grab or jab at that distance, rather than running for a bit.
1:37 - Counter would've worked if he UAir'd, but in general you're using it too much; a smarter opponent would've waited for you to Counter, then nail you with a Smash attack.
1:40 - You could've punished him with a FAir instead of just standing there. Shielding doesn't block the side+B, either.
1:42 - When your opponent is directly on top of you, you should just shield; even if he doesn't hit your shield, you can just grab him.
1:50 - Nice DAir spike.
1:55 - At 0%, you should be focusing on racking up damage; NAir is better for that than FAir, since it sets up nicely for a jab or grab.
1:57 - Your opponent didn't punish for it, but you shouldn't have moved into him after the BAir.
2:00 - Why QD? It would've sent your opponent up and you were close enough to just run to the edge.

General comments: You should work on your spacing more, focusing on hitting your opponent with the tip of your attacks. You should also use QD and Counter much less, since both moves are easily punishable and not very good anyway. You should use jabs MUCH more; it's Ike's fastest move, racks up some easy damage, and sets up for grabs and even BAirs. Be sure to use more jab cancels (press down after a single jab) to be able to follow up with other attacks. You should also use more grabs; DThrow puts people in the air and sets up for ground stalking while BThrow -> dash attack can combo.
I wanna see ur replays cuz u give such detailed analytical reports on a game that i wanna see if u play as clean

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I wanna see ur replays cuz u give such detailed analytical reports on a game that i wanna see if u play as clean
No one can play perfect. He is just pointing out flaws that the person can improve on. -_-. He's being nice and actually giving a full, constructive criticism.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
You can get the same thing from the summary as the second by second critique...
Second by second is better. You can see EXACTLY what he's talking about. Lets say you made roughly the same mistake twice. Second by second can show the little variations in each mistake, while a general summery wouldn't.

Top Bottom