• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dthrow Chaingrab

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I've been looking around the Wario boards about this cg and it seems like some of you, if not all of you, don't think it's a true cg. Well, it is!

Here's the cg list.
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=12813

Those numbers should be correct except Wolf's is about 59% - 200%, not whatever is listed. Also DK can be cg'd from 0%-145%, but he can jump out between 100%-110%.

For this cg to work you must buffer the turn around and the grab during the buffer frames. This is not easy to do. Simply holding back and grabbing will not work! You have to flick the stick in that direction then press and release Z during the last 10 frames of the dthrow. Kinda like doing reverse B's. The last 10 frames starts right about after Wario clenches his fists.

I have a replay of me doing 60%-death on Wolf if anyone wants to see what the cg exactly looks like. I just need someone to record it for me.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
KPrime knows his ****, just keep working on it. You have a 10 frame window to do both the quick flick of the stick + grab (like reversing a bite), I'll need to get on it myself.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
We have a CG on Captain Falcon? O.o, Interesting. Well, I think I might be able to definitely say the matchup vs Falco is 60:40 in Wario's favor or even 65:35 with this info.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I on the other hand, love chaingrabs.

There is no pleasure greater then having my Bowser *** chaingrabed for 100%.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I found dthrow chain grab by myself (I tried to do a chain grab because it is so similar to King Dedede's chain grab, only that Wario needs to turn 180 degrees). I believe he can also use a wall to chain grab if he faces away from the wall.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Thanks a lot. I've been wondering about the exact numbers for too long.

This'll make me much more confident against Kismet's Falco from now on.

nothing.

Smash Rookie
its easier if you just hold the direction you need to face and let go of it right when you press z

also you can chaingrab wolf at a very low % once you get one down throw to get it stale.

PowaStar

Smash Apprentice
K Prime this is a wonderful find!

I can help you get it recorded as long as its under 3 minutes each so we can do a 3 minute video on each character do you have Wi-Fi?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
............................... I wish Cg's did not exist.
:laugh:
I on the other hand, love chaingrabs.

There is no pleasure greater then having my Bowser *** chaingrabed for 100%.
Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?

For those who are still having trouble, try doing a half circle back on the control stick after you grab them. If you do it right you should dthrow and turn around so that you're ready for the regrab.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
No muro...which percent do i start the cg at....he can seem to still shield at 52...idk i must be doing it wrong or something.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
For Falco, you can start from 52%-73% with a fresh dthrow. If it's not working then you are not buffering your grabs.

nothing.

Smash Rookie
>Fiction
if the down throw is stale, you can still shield and get out at 52%~about 80% depending on how stale it is.
so if you're going to practice, training mode would be a better choice then the actual game mode.

also because of this, you would want to pummel as much as you can before the finishing throw so you can have a possible chaingrab for the next stock.

Muro

Smash Lord
so if it goes right you are supposed to input the flick controll stick and grab and only a split second before wario releases the guy right? a video would help a lot :/

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
wow, i actually didn't realize how easy buffer chaingrabs were until kprime/px explained the critical motions of the buffer grab. The thing i didn't understand before (which wasn't made clear ANYWHERE else i've read on buffer chaingrabs) was that you have to release the z button before the grab animation is done, other wise you'll just shield i think. Also if you need to do a turn around grab, yes, flicking the stick before you push z works well, just as mentioned above for turnaround b moves.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
What kind of chain throws does he have with his back facing the wall?
I by no means recommend standing next to a wall against Dedede, but I've done it on him.

So, think there are more?

drunk3ng0ldfish

Smash Cadet
so why is it this chaingrab works even though some of the characters land before wario can pull out a shield?
doesn't the shield come out on frame 1 :/

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
wario doesn't pull out a shield for the buffer chaingrab, he instantly turns around grabbing, usually before falco/wolf land etc

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
I've actually done this chaingrab before back like a month ago vs hyro in friendlies (he was wolf I was wario) I'm guessing since it was wifi I had enough time to buffer the chain grabs, so I'm guessing the timing is strict.

But what I want to know is if the chain grab timing varies from characters?

drunk3ng0ldfish

Smash Cadet
i know he doesn't pull out the shield.
i mean when you hold shield after dthrowing, the shiled comes out after some characters (which are supposedly chaingrabbable) land, which indicate, to me at least, that a buffered turnaround grab would be escapable. and i'm confused as to why the cg still works on them. the only reason i can think of is that the shield does not come out on frame one, perhaps the animation before the actual sphere of shield comes out accounts for the success of a buffered turnaround grab.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
all of these chaingrabs work. I just learned them XD. I can make a video if u guys want

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
instructions:
please read the whole post!

[separate from actual technique]
1.dthrow opponent
2.hold shield so that it comes out on earliest frame

Do this a few times so that you see how fast your shield comes out during the throw. To actually buffer a reverse grab, you will need to do it in the last 10 frames (6th of a second) before your shield comes out. Its nasty hard till I teach you some tricks on how to do it XD

Actual Steps
1. dthrow opponent
2. HOLD back on the control stick (i just roll it back after the dthrow, you dont have to do this very speedily since the dthrow animation is pretty long lol).
3. as falco (the hardest one so just work with me here XD) comes into the buffer zone, RELEASE the back that you were holding on the control stick and press the grab button within a short amount of time.
4. AFter waiting a split second (Feels like online latency sorta) wario will turn around and grab the opponent again.

Troubleshooting
Scenario 1: your shield comes up
-This means that you press the grab button too late
Scenario2: Wario turns around without grabbing
-This means that you released back on the control stick at the right time but you pressed the grab button before the buffer frames were active.
Scenario3: Wario grabs behind him, but falco has time to roll away
-Either you are starting too early....(53 is the earliest)....or you are not correctly buffering a grab. Instead you may be buffering just the turnaround then then initiating a grab on one of the opening frames after the dthrow, allowing falco those few pesky frames he needs to get away.

Tips for testing
-This is best to first test in training mode. It works from around 55-84 (i dont remember the exact percentage). If you want the falco to try to get out, put him on lvl 9 and set him to attack. he should b easy to grab haha.
-When testing it in regular mode, I find it easiest to set the handicap for falco at 50 percent. I go to FD, run up and grab falco. Grab attack him twice, and he will break out exactly at 53 percent. Grab him again and begin cging.

Learning the timing
So far I have seen three different ways to easily time the buffer besides just getting it in muscle memory.

-You can watch warios hands. As his fists get smaller and he gets up should be the correct window for a buffer.
-You can watch the opponent. As falco is about 15-20 degrees in relation to the ground (just above it) is about the buffer range. Hes still in his un-DIable animation thing.
-The michael haye method: he apparently listens for the sounds that the throw makes and bases his buffer timing off of that. I can't do this method but it might work for other people.

Hope I helped guys XD.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
What kind of chain throws does he have with his back facing the wall?
I by no means recommend standing next to a wall against Dedede, but I've done it on him.

So, think there are more?
By wall chain grab with Wario I mean like when I use dthrow wall chain grab the opponent bounced into Wario's grab range even when Wario is not pivoting.

Other Wario dthrow related question. Can D3 escape from it? I saw a video of a doubles tourney where I saw a Wario dthrow chain grabbed the King at about 60% but I don't remember the video.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Other Wario dthrow related question. Can D3 escape from it? I saw a video of a doubles tourney where I saw a Wario dthrow chain grabbed the King at about 60% but I don't remember the video.
Find that video or ill come to your house and shoot u lol.

EDIT: that sounds rly violent >_<. Just find it haha.

Top Bottom