• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I hella like how Tomacawk took G regs subtle sarcasm as a factual statement that required a rebuttal.

@Jona, Im sure uve seen every combo that falcon has ever done so you must be the number one combo critic.

@also average players dont do advanced combos. they do average ones and thats why they are average[among other things]

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Were you at event 52? If so, did I meet you?

Who is "also" Star? Cause he probably is average if he does average combos.
lol ****. yea that guys a noob lol.

Either that was directed at jona still or someone else who said avg players can do any falcon combos. I have already forgotten.

Milos

Smash Lord
i think he's asking whether falcon can be grabbed if the forward b is light shielded.

in which case the answer is no for most characters, except MAYBE Marth, everyone else slides too much

noodles

Smash Champion
I think it's the opposite, when the shield gets smaller it lets Falcon get closer to be grabbed.
this is what i meant thanks
i think he's asking whether falcon can be grabbed if the forward b is light shielded.

in which case the answer is no for most characters, except MAYBE Marth, everyone else slides too much
good to know too though

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
I hella like how Tomacawk took G regs subtle sarcasm as a factual statement that required a rebuttal.

@Jona, Im sure uve seen every combo that falcon has ever done so you must be the number one combo critic.

@also average players dont do advanced combos. they do average ones and thats why they are average[among other things]
definitely not true

if whether your an average or advanced player was determined by combos i would be pro.

its all about mindgames

and yea im sure ive seen 99% of everything falcon can do, you can only do so much with a certain amount of moves

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
Ja is correct. Let's say you see a raptor boost coming and regular DI away in case it hits you but you also shield. When it hits you, your shield will slide away from falcon making it so you can't grab him. if you're DIing into him, you can grab him. if you don't DI i'm not really sure, probably can grab him.

tubes

Smash Ace
there have been a couple instances on dreamland where the wind allowed me to just grab falcon out of the side b before he could hit me with it. Can't remember if the wind was blowing with or against the side b though.

Also: If I wanna jump up to the platform above me and platform dash off of it is it faster to use double jump or does it not matter?

Cups

Smash Ace
by the look of e52 i'd say bigd mains ganon b/c it's so sexy

bigd signed my controller, let the jealousy begin

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
definitely not true

if whether your an average or advanced player was determined by combos i would be pro.

its all about mindgames

and yea im sure ive seen 99% of everything falcon can do, you can only do so much with a certain amount of moves
Your skill determines the combos and mindgames you have etc.

your combos dont determine your skill.

avg players have avg skill and do avg combos and have avg mindgames. Thats why they are u, err I mean average lol.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
skill =/= mindgames

skill in this game = tech skill

mindgames and techskill are 2 separate things

being able to read an opponent is also seperate from mindgames and techskill, that comes differently.

you only need tech skill and i few good reads to pull of an above average combo.

it has nothing to do with whether your bad or good at this game.

i can upload a few videos of me from a year ago when i wasnt even good at this game pulling off some pretty good combos.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
skill =/= mindgames

mindgames and techskill are 2 separate things

being able to read an opponent is also seperate from mindgames and techskill, that comes differently.
Wow, this is one of the most ******** things I have read and I have read alot of posts including some of the other ones you posted. It is not a skill to read an opponent and what is mindgames if it doesn't involve somewhat reading your opponent? >_> <_<

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
your kinda right because a person that doesnt play smash but is pretty smart and can follow patterns could probably predict where someone would tech after watching them for a little bit. but they still dont have any skill, thats why i say skill=/= mindgames

but tech chasing is tech chasing

its kinda like... the us goverment. like the government is the whole thing but the president is on his own, his own figure. but he is still part of the government.

get it? i cant find a good way to say it but.. tech chasing is part of mindgames thats right, but its such a big part of it, it could be seperate.

just the way ive come to understand it

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
im pretty sure thats sarcasm

i dont know maannn

i know what im talking about but i just cant write it down

like i can play the drums but i cant teach

i try, i try

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I get what Jona is saying, actually.

I always understood Mindgames to be the ability to not only read but more to force reactions and put them in positions they don't want. Baiting reactions so you can punish and stuff. Where as tech chasing is really just reading, and that's it. Tech Chases are a form of mind games, it's on thing that falls in that category but kinda sits on it's own at the same time.

What I said might be more confusing than what Jona said ignore me. I'm not even really a melee player. :p

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Techchasing is not mindgames it's reaction time.. at high level anyways because people are going to rising attack, roll left, right, get up in place. At the frame you see the guy move you react for a techchase, and this is possible, Darkrain does it a lot.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I just feel that first you get a feel for your character. Then the game. Then a better feel with your character based on what you now know about the game.

Mindgames come from exp and conscious thought and for jona youtube lol.[not even sayin its a bad place to get em from]

Tech skill comes from dexterity and practice.

Tech reading and chasing comes from exp and guessing. Also can be forced by metagame which comes from exp.

On a pure offensive outlook, you need tech skill to do avg combos. These are usually guaranteed. Such as stomp to knee. It takes a lot more to have prolonged combos and ones that are more situational or reaction based.

There is alot of things that go into being good but as far as combos, any decent player can stomp to knee, . but everyone cant stomp to stomp to first hit nair reset grab dthrow techchase raptorboost knee.

for the most part you get better and your limitations become less on what you can do opening up more options for combos and better reads and decisions.

*Im tired [john]and this could all be some bull**** lol*

NES n00b

Smash Master
your kinda right because a person that doesnt play smash but is pretty smart and can follow patterns could probably predict where someone would tech after watching them for a little bit. but they still dont have any skill, thats why i say skill=/= mindgames

but tech chasing is tech chasing

its kinda like... the us goverment. like the government is the whole thing but the president is on his own, his own figure. but he is still part of the government.

get it? i cant find a good way to say it but.. tech chasing is part of mindgames thats right, but its such a big part of it, it could be seperate.

just the way ive come to understand it
Which is it? Tech skill or tech chasing. Those are two completely different things. :ohwell:

Being able to read and force reactions from an opponent is still a skill, too.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
I get what Jona is saying, actually.

I always understood Mindgames to be the ability to not only read but more to force reactions and put them in positions they don't want. Baiting reactions so you can punish and stuff. Where as tech chasing is really just reading, and that's it. Tech Chases are a form of mind games, it's on thing that falls in that category but kinda sits on it's own at the same time.

What I said might be more confusing than what Jona said ignore me. I'm not even really a melee player. :p
this exactly

Techchasing is not mindgames it's reaction time.. at high level anyways because people are going to rising attack, roll left, right, get up in place. At the frame you see the guy move you react for a techchase, and this is possible, Darkrain does it a lot.
tech chasing can be mindgames because you can force someone to go where you want them to. like how marth can back throw to the edge and if the person rolls back to them they get grabbed again, if the tech in place they get grabbed again and if they dont tech they get a dtilt. thats a forced situation where you have them trapped. they have to get hit by something.

I just feel that first you get a feel for your character. Then the game. Then a better feel with your character based on what you now know about the game.

Mindgames come from exp and conscious thought and for jona youtube lol.[not even sayin its a bad place to get em from]

Tech skill comes from dexterity and practice.

Tech reading and chasing comes from exp and guessing. Also can be forced by metagame which comes from exp.

On a pure offensive outlook, you need tech skill to do avg combos. These are usually guaranteed. Such as stomp to knee. It takes a lot more to have prolonged combos and ones that are more situational or reaction based.

There is alot of things that go into being good but as far as combos, any decent player can stomp to knee, . but everyone cant stomp to stomp to first hit nair reset grab dthrow techchase raptorboost knee.

for the most part you get better and your limitations become less on what you can do opening up more options for combos and better reads and decisions.

*Im tired [john]and this could all be some bull**** lol*
i understand what you mean. but i know that i have done some ridiculous combos and i have barely any experience. what your saying might be true but im sure some people are exceptions, i know im one of them.

Which is it? Tech skill or tech chasing. Those are two completely different things. :ohwell:

Being able to read and force reactions from an opponent is still a skill, too.
i dont understand what you asking about techskill or tech chasing.
i was talking about both.

that techskill is separate from mindgames and tech chasing, although tech chasing can be a form of mindgames.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I don't know why you guys give Jona so much ****. Almost everything he says makes sense (including the tech skill, mindgames, and tech chasing stuff) he just talks really big game while knowing that he isn't on a top level, and everything he says should be interpreted as just how he talks. He doesn't disrespect people, he just uses different lingo that can be interpreted as being an *******, but he doesn't (as far as I can tell) actually mean to be an *******. Just chill out yall.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
haha thanks, you understand me i guess

talking trash is all i know how to do, even when i lose

i would give you pound but your mad far

my grandpops lives in chicago tho

also the way i talk comes from being newyorican

most of us act exactly the same

anyone rican here knows what im sayin, but were like a super minority

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I don't know why you guys give Jona so much ****. Almost everything he says makes sense (including the tech skill, mindgames, and tech chasing stuff) he just talks really big game while knowing that he isn't on a top level, and everything he says should be interpreted as just how he talks. He doesn't disrespect people, he just uses different lingo that can be interpreted as being an *******, but he doesn't (as far as I can tell) actually mean to be an *******. Just chill out yall.
Im not giving him ****. We are having a discussion. I talk mad **** too son, just not on the boards lol. But in person just to hype of the game.

Also jona talks **** a bit so he gets a bit back. I dont think there were ever anyhard feelings. so chill the **** out cawk lol
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@jona But I mean exp can be anything. Some ppl catch on fast, otherdont. Some ppl practice, some ppl study, some ppl watch youtube. Some ppl play with good ppl.

There is a forced progression and a natural one. The forced path is faster but you hit more walls along the way. maybe u just naturaly progress fast.

I played m2 for about a year and progressed decently but it wasnt until I picked up marth did I break some walls. Then moonwalking and falco increased my tech a bit.

So now I know about smash so I can force myself to practice things or whatever.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Dear BigD,

Often when i find myself playing Falcon, people charge in with an attack and it usually scares me to the point of running off the ledge. The questions I'm asking is, when i raptor boost from off the stage to "jordan" cancel on the stage, should I usmash immediately? Or should i run past them and bair to pivot turn knee? Thanks for your time!

-Concerned in Chicago

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
i dont think that tomacawks post was directed at you but like mad people on smashboards that hate lol

i should make a list haha

but yea there were no hard feelings, i never get hard feelings from the boards, its so much fun

i never played anyone good until a year after coming on smashboards... i used level 9's and youtube

it helped a bit because i remember when i first played my boy max, the first person i played, the last combo i did was a 0-death on his doc...he had controller johns but still, it was sick, especially cuz i never did anything like that to a person.. i still have the video...good times

NES n00b

Smash Master
When someone says that mindgames is not a skill, then it is either bad semantics or really bad understanding of anything. Either way it should be pointed out.

soap

Smash Hero
Dear BigD,

Often when i find myself playing Falcon, people charge in with an attack and it usually scares me to the point of running off the ledge. The questions I'm asking is, when i raptor boost from off the stage to "jordan" cancel on the stage, should I usmash immediately? Or should i run past them and bair to pivot turn knee? Thanks for your time!

-Concerned in Chicago
what r u talking about?

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
When someone says that mindgames is not a skill, then it is either bad semantics or really bad understanding of anything. Either way it should be pointed out.
im not understanding bad, you are

i said in melee skill is understood as techskill, well to me atleast

you dont say "oh man he skilled me so bad" you say he mindgamed me.

thats what i was trying to say anyways, i think you misunderstood

i never said mindgames is not a skill

Lol. I practice on level 3's cuz supposedly they have the most realistic DI.

Zdsfsd whatever lol. Jordan cancel lol?
i cant even practice anymore..

and incase your being serious

like michael jordan, side b looks like a dunk when it hits, but you can cancel it on yoshis side and move from there

NES n00b

Smash Master
skill =/= mindgames

This is where I got the misunderstanding from. Skill is a very broad term, it doesn't just imply tech skill. Of course I would misunderstand if you say the above quote.

Also, when most people say "He is skilled," it means he has an overall skill that is relatively impressive not exactly his tech skill. If I want to say he has tech skill specifically, I would say he has tech skill not just say skill.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I heard you dont have a game anymore or something.

But I just thought it was funny. I assumed it was the raptor boost but thought u meant just a ledge cancel and not referring to the specific edge of yoshis story.

@jona. Skill is the term you are looking for. Tech skill is precision in the button presses that you do. A common misconception is that flashyness=techskill. But for the most part its consistency. It also has a direct influence on your game speed. Mindgames are how u use those button presses to force your opponent into doing what you want or to confuse them.

You would just say that person was way better than me unless it was a specific thing that messed u up. They had too much tech skill and played to fast or they didnt leave enough room for error. They are too consistent. Or u can get mindgamed lol.

Top Bottom