• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ike Video Critique Thread

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Whats sad about not wanting to downloading a video to critique? Don't take it personal CK, we wouldn't download most any persons videos. Just put it on a streaming site and we'll happily do it. But if we don't, don't ***** about it.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Belgian ROFLs. We were happier for a month or two there. We had a delightful absence of that one silly kid who always made one-line, pointless posts (and even longer pointless posts, which held even greater annoyance)... I can't recall who that was, though....

Ryko, Niddo.. do you guys remember? Does anyone remember who that kid was?
I could have sworn it started with a "c"....a "k" somewhere as well. Dumb kid never learned anything.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
metaike, the video link is shortened the wrong way (with ... being part of the link)

I hope to upload some nonwifi matches that I lose now that I can bring my wii places and save replays over 3 minutes.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I IMed you about it but the only problem against bored was getting punished for attempting to punish dodges that didnt happen. That's a fault of wifi, not you.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Guys, I don't find a point in holding a grudge against Comboking forever; yes, he does post unnecessary stuff, but there's no reason to make fun of him whenever he posts without saying what he's doing wrong.

Comboking, I'll be willing to critique any of your matches if you send them to me; just make sure that (1) you were actually trying, (2) your opponent was around or above your level, (3) it was in real life, and (4) you lose the match [conditions 3 and 4 are optional but preferred]. Record and upload a different match other than the one you posted; admittedly, I didn't watch it, but if you were just messing around with your 10-year old brother, then I doubt there's much to critique in the first place.

metaike, I'll be writing a critique for your video shortly.

EDIT: Done with match 1.

Match 1 (Battlefield)
0:09 - Why did you back off after the FThrow? You could've tried pressing your advantage, no matter how short-lived, rather than giving up on the chance completely.
0:15 - This was probably a Wi-Fi mistake, but in general you never want to land on the stage with Aether; from how it looked in the video he wouldn't have had a chance to edgehog you, so you should've went for the edge to prevent the massive landing lag.
0:21 - Lol, nice job dragging him down. I haven't tried it out myself and it would be even harder to do it on Wi-fi, but in case you didn't know, you can tech the throw if they try stagespiking you out of a cargo.
0:28 - Your opponent's invincibility was just about over and you decided to drop down while they were charging a Giant Punch; rather than letting them go unpunished, you could've double-jumped and UAir'd after their invincibility was done. The UAir is excellent at punishing people on platforms and he was charging, so it would've had a high chance of hitting.
0:32 - If you were trying to jab -> DTilt, then you were way too far from the edge of the stage for it to work; if you were trying to jab -> DSmash, then it was probably just a Wi-fi error; if you just messed up in your jab canceling, it was probably also just a Wi-fi error. Even so, if it was jab -> DTilt, just make sure that you know it's not very guaranteed to work; your opponent can break out of it quite easily if they DI/jump properly.
0:46 - Probably just a Wi-fi error, but you should at least do something after QD'ing; jabbing or shielding are probably the best actions. Shielding will allow you to both block an attack and go for a grab if they shield, while jabbing is likely to beat out any attack they use or catch them off guard.
1:03 - Don't use QD as an attack when your opponent has that low %; even if it did hit, DK is a heavy character and he might've been able to punish you during the massive ending lag.
1:09 - Ike's ideal position is when his opponent is laying on a platform and you're below them; in this position, you can either use UAir, USmash, or BAir. Rather than going for FAir, you could've just dashed under the center of the platform and just charge an USmash; it can hit the entire platform of Battlefield, so it is a very deadly attack in this position. You also might've been able to use FSmash, since DK has such a large hurtbox (aka very big).
1:11 - I suppose it's just personal preference, but I would've gone for a BThrow -> dash attack rather than just FThrowing and trying to bait your opponent; FThrow has much less "combability" than BThrow.
1:33 - No shield grab?
1:46 - Try not to land on the stage...

General comments: I can't really say whether these were Wi-Fi errors or not, but there were times when you did weird things like miss chances to punish (like a missed shield grab or retreating after an FThrow) or put yourself in a bad position (like landing on the stage with Aether). There are also things that you should've done which are difficult to do over Wi-fi like BAir out of shield (0:32, 0:59, etc.) and tech the cargo stagespike. However, you need to recognize when you have an opportunity to punish your opponent and what to do in that situation; when your opponent was on the platforms above you (0:28 and 1:09), you had a golden opportunity to hit him with an UAir or USmash, which are excellent platform punishers. You should also try using BAir; I don't think I saw a single BAir during that match. Although it has a (relatively) small hitbox compared to Ike's other moves, it's his fastest aerial and one of his most useful kill moves. It can also auto-cancel from a short-hop when done properly, so it can zone out people very well in conjunction with turn-around jabs. You should also try incorporating NAir more in your game; against a large and heavy character like DK, it can set up for some easy jab combos at low %s. While it lacks the range of FAir, it's short landing lag still makes it useful for zoning out opponents, again when used with jabs.

Also, I guess it's personal preference, but I suggest that you use more BThrow; FThrow has more ending lag than BThrow and doesn't knock your opponents as far. Because of this, BThrow can combo into a C-sticked dash attack at certain %s.

I may watch the second match later. However, good job with the match, considering it was Wi-fi.

metaike

Smash Cadet
Guys, I don't find a point in holding a grudge against Comboking forever; yes, he does post unnecessary stuff, but there's no reason to make fun of him whenever he posts without saying what he's doing wrong.

Comboking, I'll be willing to critique any of your matches if you send them to me; just make sure that (1) you were actually trying, (2) your opponent was around or above your level, (3) it was in real life, and (4) you lose the match [conditions 3 and 4 are optional but preferred]. Record and upload a different match other than the one you posted; admittedly, I didn't watch it, but if you were just messing around with your 10-year old brother, then I doubt there's much to critique in the first place.

ok thanks :D

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
If Comboking makes more real posts (and fewer annoying posts), I will gladly put an end to my begrudging attitude towards him. That's why I bash him so hard half the time he makes a post that perhaps shouldn't have been made.

My first post insulting him today (er, yesterday) was because he flat out insulted the Ike boards. And even if it didn't insult you, he certainly had a caustic tone, and I could tell it was intended to be abrasive. But he wouldn't see the fact that it was his fault that his video wouldn't be critiqued. There's a better plan of action than calling the Ike boards sad and saying it's no wonder why new people never make any posts (which on its own isn't even true).

Comboking: I think this may be the first time I've addressed you without the intent of insulting you. For the degree of truth in that statement, I sincerely apologize. Upload a video of a real game (not messing around with a 10-year-old brother) on a streaming site like YouTube. We'll critique it and won't chew you up and spit you out for it.
Just honestly, try to refrain from one line posts if they're not actually helpful. And if you do make a one-line post, try to fill it in with justification for that post. Or come up with something either thought-provoking or helpful to go along with it. Of course, there are plenty of pointless things that I put in my posts.. but for most of them, I may be answering a question as well, or (more often than not) asking a question.

TL;DR: I understand what Metroid is saying. And I'd be happy to stop taking stabs every day at CK. But I also do want CK to post smarter, thereby bringing some legitimacy to himself in the forum, so I'll never again feel that urge to bash him.
(Sorry for spamming the critique thread with all this.)

EDIT: I'm with Kimchi.. I still think this should be stickied as well.

metaike

Smash Cadet

EDIT: Done with match 1.

Match 1 (Battlefield)
0:09 - Why did you back off after the FThrow? You could've tried pressing your advantage, no matter how short-lived, rather than giving up on the chance completely.
0:15 - This was probably a Wi-Fi mistake, but in general you never want to land on the stage with Aether; from how it looked in the video he wouldn't have had a chance to edgehog you, so you should've went for the edge to prevent the massive landing lag.
0:21 - Lol, nice job dragging him down. I haven't tried it out myself and it would be even harder to do it on Wi-fi, but in case you didn't know, you can tech the throw if they try stagespiking you out of a cargo.
0:28 - Your opponent's invincibility was just about over and you decided to drop down while they were charging a Giant Punch; rather than letting them go unpunished, you could've double-jumped and UAir'd after their invincibility was done. The UAir is excellent at punishing people on platforms and he was charging, so it would've had a high chance of hitting.
0:32 - If you were trying to jab -> DTilt, then you were way too far from the edge of the stage for it to work; if you were trying to jab -> DSmash, then it was probably just a Wi-fi error; if you just messed up in your jab canceling, it was probably also just a Wi-fi error. Even so, if it was jab -> DTilt, just make sure that you know it's not very guaranteed to work; your opponent can break out of it quite easily if they DI/jump properly.
0:46 - Probably just a Wi-fi error, but you should at least do something after QD'ing; jabbing or shielding are probably the best actions. Shielding will allow you to both block an attack and go for a grab if they shield, while jabbing is likely to beat out any attack they use or catch them off guard.
1:03 - Don't use QD as an attack when your opponent has that low %; even if it did hit, DK is a heavy character and he might've been able to punish you during the massive ending lag.
1:09 - Ike's ideal position is when his opponent is laying on a platform and you're below them; in this position, you can either use UAir, USmash, or BAir. Rather than going for FAir, you could've just dashed under the center of the platform and just charge an USmash; it can hit the entire platform of Battlefield, so it is a very deadly attack in this position. You also might've been able to use FSmash, since DK has such a large hurtbox (aka very big).
1:11 - I suppose it's just personal preference, but I would've gone for a BThrow -> dash attack rather than just FThrowing and trying to bait your opponent; FThrow has much less "combability" than BThrow.
1:33 - No shield grab?
1:46 - Try not to land on the stage...

General comments: I can't really say whether these were Wi-Fi errors or not, but there were times when you did weird things like miss chances to punish (like a missed shield grab or retreating after an FThrow) or put yourself in a bad position (like landing on the stage with Aether). There are also things that you should've done which are difficult to do over Wi-fi like BAir out of shield (0:32, 0:59, etc.) and tech the cargo stagespike. However, you need to recognize when you have an opportunity to punish your opponent and what to do in that situation; when your opponent was on the platforms above you (0:28 and 1:09), you had a golden opportunity to hit him with an UAir or USmash, which are excellent platform punishers. You should also try using BAir; I don't think I saw a single BAir during that match. Although it has a (relatively) small hitbox compared to Ike's other moves, it's his fastest aerial and one of his most useful kill moves. It can also auto-cancel from a short-hop when done properly, so it can zone out people very well in conjunction with turn-around jabs. You should also try incorporating NAir more in your game; against a large and heavy character like DK, it can set up for some easy jab combos at low %s. While it lacks the range of FAir, it's short landing lag still makes it useful for zoning out opponents, again when used with jabs.

Also, I guess it's personal preference, but I suggest that you use more BThrow; FThrow has more ending lag than BThrow and doesn't knock your opponents as far. Because of this, BThrow can combo into a C-sticked dash attack at certain %s.

I may watch the second match later. However, good job with the match, considering it was Wi-fi.
thanks i'll improve and not play on wi fi ever again execpt for my ike ditto team

theeboredone

Smash Legend
thanks i'll improve and not play on wi fi ever again execpt for my ike ditto team
Uh, that wasn't Metroid's point. If you truly have no one to practice around, or you don't have a mode of transportation to get you to smashfests or tournies, then wifi is ok. It will at least help you build experience in character match ups if anything.

metaike

Smash Cadet
Uh, that wasn't Metroid's point. If you truly have no one to practice around, or you don't have a mode of transportation to get you to smashfests or tournies, then wifi is ok. It will at least help you build experience in character match ups if anything.
i know that but i have transportation and so i think i should go to offline tourneys/smashfests instead of play wifi. Not only that but my wifi didn't work for a long time so i played offline for a long time then when i went back to wifi then i was like this sucks. So yeah offline is better if you can go to it which is what i'm going to do execpt for my ike ditto team on allisbrawl and gamebattles :).

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Well, I finally got a video of me playing put up....and it's me getting 3 stocked by Espy. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP-QQVfI3FA

I normally do a bit better against Espy and take off at least one stock, so this isn't me when I'm at my best, but it's better then a wifi video (sadly). Go ahead and tell me all of my lovely mistakes/goof ups/dumb things I did. ^_^

metroid1117

Smash Master
Well, I finally got a video of me playing put up....and it's me getting 3 stocked by Espy. lol

I normally do a bit better against Espy and take off at least one stock, so this isn't me when I'm at my best, but it's better then a wifi video (sadly). Go ahead and tell me all of my lovely mistakes/goof ups/dumb things I did. ^_^

DANG... that was a pretty disgusting Sonic indeed.

0:14 - I've never tried it before personally, but apparently you can tech Sonic's DThrow during it's animation; I can't find the thread, but someone posted it in either the General or Tactical Brawl Discussion forums and other people were raving about how Sonic's tech chasing game was gone. But yeah, try learning the timing to tech that; apparently you can get a free jab/grab if you do it properly.
0:18 - You probably knew he was going for the spring gimp and underestimated how fast it would come out. Even so, it's generally best to play it safe and airdodge through the attack rather than beat it out with Aether; at that height, you can still recover fairly safely. Just be prepared to Aether/tech if they predict the airdodge and go for a stagespike with BAir or some other attack.
0:22 - It doesn't matter much, but when you have invincibility, you want to be able to use as much of it as possible; rather than just dropping through the platform, you should've fastfalled to get more time to regain the momentum. If you were using that time to reflect or think about the match, then you should do it while on the re-spawn platform rather than during your invincibility time.
0:24 - DTilt when he was above you? You probably just messed up.
0:28 - FTilt? You really shouldn't use it when your opponent is that close.
0:32 - DSmash is fast, but not that fast. You shouldn't use it after a jab combo anyway; you should use it in conjunction with a jab cancel.
0:39 - You had airdodged after his attacks earlier in the match; in this little excerpt, he read your airdodges and punished with FAir. In the last one, he purposely went under you with a shield so that you'd be forced to either attack his shield and get shieldgrabbed, airdodge out of habit and get grabbed, or try getting onto the edge and leave yourself vulnerable. You should've double jumped to get away from him when he went under you.
0:43 - Last time you recovered, you went for the stage and he was damaged; this time, he read that you would go for the stage and airdodged so that he can punish you.
0:55 - He didn't BAir you because he was waiting for the airdodge and ate an Eruption instead. You were smart not to airdodge, but you should've chosen a faster move like UAir; even if done as soon as possible, I doubt that Eruption's SAF would activate fast enough to avoid Sonic's UThrow -> BAir/UAir setup.
1:19 - I hope you didn't want to Eruption or QD; both would be poor choices compared to a fastfalled BAir or jab.
1:20 - He read your airdodge; this time, he was so sure that he didn't even shield in case you attacked. The next time he threw you, you were smart and jumped to escape him.
1:25 - UTilt is a tad slow for my taste; it might've worked if Sonic's NAir didn't have such a weird hitbox, but even so, I think shielding the NAir and then jabbing out of shield would've been the safer option.
1:27 - You could've jumped earlier than you did; the hitstun even after stagespikes is deceptively short.

General comments: Your use of some attacks are sometimes unneeded; there were times when attacks clearly wouldn't hit or would be risky to try, but you went for them anyway and got punished most of the time. Don't throw out random attacks; stick to safe moves and use them when they have a high chance of hitting. This might have been because of match anxiety; try to keep focused and don't get frustrated, it's not over until it's over. You also were too predictable with your airdodging; you caught on after a while, but you should've caught on earlier when he FAir'd you across the stage.

Even so, Espy is obviously a very skilled player; you could've been messing up more than usual because you were intimidated or frustrated by the way the match was going. If possible, try getting a more even match so we can more accurately see where you are in terms of skill.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
DANG... that was a pretty disgusting Sonic indeed.

0:14 - I've never tried it before personally, but apparently you can tech Sonic's DThrow during it's animation; I can't find the thread, but someone posted it in either the General or Tactical Brawl Discussion forums and other people were raving about how Sonic's tech chasing game was gone. But yeah, try learning the timing to tech that; apparently you can get a free jab/grab if you do it properly.
Yes. It's really easy to tech Sonic's Dthrow (shield after he throws and before you land). Practice it for seriously 2 minutes and you'll have the timing down.
0:18 - You probably knew he was going for the spring gimp and underestimated how fast it would come out. Even so, it's generally best to play it safe and airdodge through the attack rather than beat it out with Aether; at that height, you can still recover fairly safely. Just be prepared to Aether/tech if they predict the airdodge and go for a stagespike with BAir or some other attack.
Spring gimping. You get used to it and it stops happening after a while. You just get a better feel for it. I eat the spring with super armor on occasion.. just mix up recovery against Sonic so he has a harder time gimping you.

General comments: Your use of some attacks are sometimes unneeded; there were times when attacks clearly wouldn't hit or would be risky to try, but you went for them anyway and got punished most of the time. Don't throw out random attacks; stick to safe moves and use them when they have a high chance of hitting. This might have been because of match anxiety; try to keep focused and don't get frustrated, it's not over until it's over. You also were too predictable with your airdodging; you caught on after a while, but you should've caught on earlier when he FAir'd you across the stage.
This is good advice especially against Sonic. Random attacks = punish EVERY TIME. Even retreating Fairs are risky in this match-up.

Even so, Espy is obviously a very skilled player.
True that. I'm used to playing against a Sonic, and, though I did bring him to last stock I think each time, I didn't beat him in any of the 4 or 5 friendlies I played with him.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ya, the Dtilt + Dsmash were mess ups in my jab canceling.

Like I've said before, my reaction time is really bad, and I'm predictable. I'm trying to shake that stuff off, but that was one of my worse matches. Lets put it this way: my Falcon lasted longer against his Sonic that day then my Ike. >_>

I'll try to get a better video, but it's kinda hard: Espy is the only one who goes to the monthlies and can record matches afterwards if they were saved. And obviously, he plays on his Wii a lot.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Here's one for critique. It's the only match of me at SWAT that got recorded and didn't somehow screw up. (Which is a shame, because I had a SMEXY kill in another one).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaopBRkUJes&feature=related

Yes, that's Infinity. His Kirby is better than that video suggests. It was a 5:00AM friendly and we hadn't had any sleep that night yet. He went to sleep about 20 minutes after this and 2-stocked me in tourney later that day.
Regardless of the time of the match, I think this is pretty representative of my play, so I'm putting it up for critique. Have at it.

BTW, at 1:20.. it was meant to be a dash attack.
And I also finally experienced Kirby's grab combos in this match. Those aren't fun, LOL.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'll try to get a better video, but it's kinda hard: Espy is the only one who goes to the monthlies and can record matches afterwards if they were saved. And obviously, he plays on his Wii a lot.
In this case, try bringing an SD card and play 2-stock matches with people so that you can save the 3-min replay; either that, or try to find a Wii that has the infinite replay hack and just save replays that way.

@Brett - I'll be watching your match later, I have to do some stuff now; I'll edit this post later.

EDIT: Okay, done.

vs. Infinity (Kirby)

0:08 - DAir isn't a very safe approach or ward against enemies below you; while it has good vertical range, it has horrid horizontal range and has a lot of landing lag if you don't auto-cancel it.
0:16 - Infinity is a great player and Kirby is a floaty character; that means that he'll be able to SDI out of your jab combo pretty consistently. You should try conditioning him into thinking that you'll always do the jab combo (since it's the safest and most reliable option), then try reading his DI and punish accordingly rather than going off for fancy stuff at the beginning of the match.
0:42 - Kirby's BAir is VERY good; you want to be much more aware of your FAir spacing in this match-up, since a missed FAir means a BAir in the face or a grab.
1:16 - This time he read your QD recovery; you had been using it too much. Kirby's FSmash sticks out for an unusually long time as well, so trying to sweetspot might not have helped either.
1:19 - You should fastfall in order to abuse the invincibility and regain your momentum rather than squandering it.
1:33 - Again, you shouldn't underestimate your opponent's ability to DI out of the jab combo; you should stick to jab -> jab combo if you're not sure.
1:41 - UAir or USmash would've worked better, since Final Cutter is surprisingly annoying to hit head-on.
2:00 - Going to the edge and camping out for a bit would've been a safer option, in my opinion; he has invincibility, so it's not like you'll be able to damage him.
2:23 - Again, it's not safe to go at an opponent with invincibility.
2:39 - C-stick wasn't set to Attack?
3:06 - Kirby has surprisingly good aerial drift; you already tried the FSmash earlier in the match, so you should've known that it wouldn't have worked now. FSmash's payoff is also quite low when your opponent is at 9%.

General comments - You messed up your spacing at times; Kirby has a great BAir and is deceptively fast and mobile, so you'll have to play it safer than usual with your FAirs. You should not go towards an opponent with invincibility; it may seem "cheap", but it's best to play it safe and camp out at the edge for a while. You should work on your DI; at a moment like 3:20, where it was clear that you would be BAir'd, you failed to DI on instinct and didn't DI at all. Speaking of DI, it's also possible to SDI the UAir during Kirby's throw combos and then jump and airdodge to safety; just mash up+away when you expect him to UAir.

You should also try positioning yourself for opportunities to BAir more often; it's Ike's only aerial that can match Kirby's BAir in speed, so retreating short-hopped BAirs can be quite useful to ward off an approaching Kirby.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
In this case, try bringing an SD card and play 2-stock matches with people so that you can save the 3-min replay; either that, or try to find a Wii that has the infinite replay hack and just save replays that way.

@Brett - I'll be watching your match later, I have to do some stuff now; I'll edit this post later.
I have SD card, but now way to get it onto a computer. No video camera + no SD card reader + no job.

Haven't I been thought this before? :confused:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Well, you can always just buy EasyCAP +splitters for ~$20, Nidtendo.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I wouldn't care.
LOL, that could be taken two different ways.
I think he's saying that if you need that stuff, don't hesitate to get it.

I would rather see you at FS, but if you really feel like you should get that stuff instead, well, that's your decision. Not that of the Texas Ikes.

EDIT: Okay, done.

vs. Infinity (Kirby)

0:08 - DAir isn't a very safe approach or ward against enemies below you; while it has good vertical range, it has horrid horizontal range and has a lot of landing lag if you don't auto-cancel it.
0:16 - Infinity is a great player and Kirby is a floaty character; that means that he'll be able to SDI out of your jab combo pretty consistently. You should try conditioning him into thinking that you'll always do the jab combo (since it's the safest and most reliable option), then try reading his DI and punish accordingly rather than going off for fancy stuff at the beginning of the match.
0:42 - Kirby's BAir is VERY good; you want to be much more aware of your FAir spacing in this match-up, since a missed FAir means a BAir in the face or a grab.
1:16 - This time he read your QD recovery; you had been using it too much. Kirby's FSmash sticks out for an unusually long time as well, so trying to sweetspot might not have helped either.
1:19 - You should fastfall in order to abuse the invincibility and regain your momentum rather than squandering it.
1:33 - Again, you shouldn't underestimate your opponent's ability to DI out of the jab combo; you should stick to jab -> jab combo if you're not sure.
1:41 - UAir or USmash would've worked better, since Final Cutter is surprisingly annoying to hit head-on.
2:00 - Going to the edge and camping out for a bit would've been a safer option, in my opinion; he has invincibility, so it's not like you'll be able to damage him.
2:23 - Again, it's not safe to go at an opponent with invincibility.
2:39 - C-stick wasn't set to Attack?
3:06 - Kirby has surprisingly good aerial drift; you already tried the FSmash earlier in the match, so you should've known that it wouldn't have worked now. FSmash's payoff is also quite low when your opponent is at 9%.

General comments - You messed up your spacing at times; Kirby has a great BAir and is deceptively fast and mobile, so you'll have to play it safer than usual with your FAirs. You should not go towards an opponent with invincibility; it may seem "cheap", but it's best to play it safe and camp out at the edge for a while. You should work on your DI; at a moment like 3:20, where it was clear that you would be BAir'd, you failed to DI on instinct and didn't DI at all. Speaking of DI, it's also possible to SDI the UAir during Kirby's throw combos and then jump and airdodge to safety; just mash up+away when you expect him to UAir.

You should also try positioning yourself for opportunities to BAir more often; it's Ike's only aerial that can match Kirby's BAir in speed, so retreating short-hopped BAirs can be quite useful to ward off an approaching Kirby.
I think that beginning Dair was.. just me not quite thinking yet.. I just about slapped myself when I did that.

About the jabs. I could definitely see that it was easy for him to get out, but I had no clue how to follow up when he did. I meant to Utilt once in there, but accidentally kept the combo going instead. Any examples of how to read and react to that?

I'll keep in mind that thing about getting close to opponents with invincibility.. paid for it the second time there, eh? v_v

About the suicide.. yes, my C-stick was set to attack... apparently I just went stupid.

Thanks a lot for the critique. I know a lot of the things I do wrong, but getting help like this truly makes me think consciously about those things... as well as flaws I didn't previously know about.

metroid1117

Smash Master
About the jabs. I could definitely see that it was easy for him to get out, but I had no clue how to follow up when he did. I meant to Utilt once in there, but accidentally kept the combo going instead. Any examples of how to read and react to that?
Hmm... If I were you, I'd just play it safe and stick to jab -> jab combo for the free damage but mix it up later on (like mid-game or something). This way, your opponent (in this case, Infinity's Kirby) would be conditioned to either DI up+away or just away. If you notice them DI'ing up+away, you can try setting up for a combat walk just by hitting A, since he or she will try and SDI out of the second hit (which is good for you). If you notice them jumping out after they SDI your jab combos, you can try jab -> BAir as well.

@Kimchi: Update the OP, the last time you edited was almost a month ago x_x.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Meh. I don't care anymore.

WIFI LOLS

Me vs bored http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ytGw8O-9y4
Me vs MK user named hinkage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgw7v3jl1jg

These are the ones where I lose so I obviously screw up quite a bit in them =)
For you against hinkage's MK, I'm going to provide a general critique.
You used Nair pretty smartly mostly and you followed up most of them very nicely. However, I think you used it a bit too much throughout the game up to the point where hinkage saw it coming and punished you accordingly for it. Just don't let it get predictable, especially against a MK. At times like 0:44, you threw out aerials pretty haphazardly, though for a player of your caliber, I think you knew that it wouldn't hit. I'm going to assume it was Wi-Fi button lag that contributed to some of your brash aerial mistakes throughout the game. 1:59-2:00, Eruption is cool XD. Also, I liked some of your punishes against hinkage if he used Tornado too much, but you definitely could have used your shield more wisely when hinkage was using Mach Tornado at times. Overall, I think you did pretty well this match despite the fact that you lost. You just got a little bit predictable with using Nair too much. Also, 0:59 to 1:06 was the gayest crap ever lmao.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Thanks for your unbiased opinions kimchi. For some reason against MK, I feel that if I try to space fairs, I'll get punished, so I use nair a whole lot because I just "feel" safer, whether that feeling is actually the truth or not. Hinkage is an alright player, but he still has a ways to go and a lot more to learn about his character and some of the intricacies of the game in general. Offline, I know I definitely jump a lot more though XD Final D still remains one of my weakest stages because I'm so predictable unless I have stage obstacles or platforms to use. You should've seen me play a DDD at FD. So full of lolz.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So, I got a video against one of the best Wi-Fi players, Master Raven!
Critique please!
Just gonna toss out some basic things that I saw.

First off, Raven is good at P-Shielding, especially on wifi >_>...

2nd, one crucial error I saw was when you both went got hit by a grenade at 3:15, you B-aired. I think you shoulda known that because you have more dmg and weigh less, you were gonna stay behind him. You should have just airdodged.

3rd. At the end, when he was trying to recover, you had it. I think you made a fault in trying to d-air after he C4'ed himself. I think a B-air would have connected. Or, you should have timed your initial d-air better before he C4'ed himself.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Just gonna toss out some basic things that I saw.

First off, Raven is good at P-Shielding, especially on wifi >_>...

2nd, one crucial error I saw was when you both went got hit by a grenade at 3:15, you B-aired. I think you shoulda known that because you have more dmg and weigh less, you were gonna stay behind him. You should have just airdodged.

3rd. At the end, when he was trying to recover, you had it. I think you made a fault in trying to d-air after he C4'ed himself. I think a B-air would have connected. Or, you should have timed your initial d-air better before he C4'ed himself.
Eh, I expected Raven to C4 towards me to wall tech so I just Daired in place.

Top Bottom