• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ike Video Critique Thread

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
I'll do the first match since thats the only one I've watched so far.

Learn to powershield the arrows. You were walking into them like Superman. If you can't PS them, try properly timed spot dodges. Don't just spam them. You will get punished. Or, you can try to SHAD your way through them. But be smart.

Also, I noticed you were going for alot of Uairs. Nice idea, but when you opponent reads them, try mixing it up. Like empty hops to scare them. Bait the air dodge, then slap them with a bair. Just try mixing it up more.

When recovering against Pit, delay your second jump as long as possible. They ALWAYS abuse their multiple jumps in hopes of gimping us. If you save your second jump, you'll have a better chance of recovering after their barrage of aerials.

Most importantly, play with 3 stocks lol.

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
I'll do the first match since thats the only one I've watched so far.

Learn to powershield the arrows. You were walking into them like Superman. If you can't PS them, try properly timed spot dodges. Don't just spam them. You will get punished. Or, you can try to SHAD your way through them. But be smart.

Also, I noticed you were going for alot of Uairs. Nice idea, but when you opponent reads them, try mixing it up. Like empty hops to scare them. Bait the air dodge, then slap them with a bair. Just try mixing it up more.

When recovering against Pit, delay your second jump as long as possible. They ALWAYS abuse their multiple jumps in hopes of gimping us. If you save your second jump, you'll have a better chance of recovering after their barrage of aerials.

Most importantly, play with 3 stocks lol.
Way to not steal my friends comment about Superman.lol In the second video, I do better.

3stocks = no replays and my capture card doesn't work on the TV we played on.D:

Thanks, I'll try implementing those in my future matches.:lick:

Is it true that Pit can out platform abuse Ike?:confused: I had an extremely hard time trying to make use of Battlefield against him.D: Maybe Meta Knight spoiled me.XD

metroid1117

Smash Master
Darkwater's 2nd match

0:11 - You were too intimidated by the arrow spam and missed your chance to punish him. Instead of jumping at 0:09, you could've tried coming down with a NAir or FAir.
0:12 - I personally think that going for a jab combo would've been a better option; BThrow is great for starting edgeguards, but when your opponent is at such a low % I think you should be focused on getting on some damage - a jab combo is a free 17% without jab canceling, whereas a BThrow is only a measly 6%.
0:14 - Random jab combo is random? Probably just a mistake.
0:18 - FTilt? Probably just an accident, but even so, you should know that it's very slow and shouldn't be used in close quarters like that.
0:20 - Again, I think a jab combo would've been better than a shieldgrab.
0:26 - Stalking people as they come to the ground (aka groundstalking) is a very effective tactic to get off some damage; you can either rush in with a charged USmash to bait (and punish) an airdodge or play it safe by running in with a shield, then dropping it to either grab or jab them. Because Ike takes a big step during his dash attack, you can also use that to catch people off-guard from afar. Never, however, just let people get to the ground without pressuring them in some way. At 0:27, you dash attacked, but you should've done it as he landed on the ground, not after he landed.
0:31 - As a general rule, you shouldn't complete the jab combo if you don't hit with the first or second hit; the third hit is much laggier than the rest and therefore more easily punished. Just by watching up to this point, however, you should be able to tell that your opponent plays very campy; he likes to put himself at a safe distance to bait you with arrows, then attacks on his own terms. Rolling seems to be his favorite option, so instead of trying for a jab you could've gone for an USmash to punish his roll.
0:37 - Again, try reading the rolls; every time you get close when he spams, he rolls behind you.
0:50 - Counter generally isn't a good option; at that instance, it would've done 10%, whereas FAir (which is safer) would've done more than that.
1:01 - DSmash is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad move, even when charged for that long. You could've tried for a walk-off DAir or DTilt since he didn't up+B, but never go for the DSmash when edgeguarding.
1:05 - BAir out of shield (OoS) would've been a better option here than going for the grab.
1:09 - Very nice DTilt; you read his airdodge and punished him for it.
1:13 - Don't use the jab combo when he's that far out of range, let alone continue it.
1:20 - Again, I personally think jabbing would've been a better option than grabbing.
1:38 - Your opponent had airdodged when you used USmash next to him before, so you should've read that he would do it again.
1:43 - Jab -> DTilt isn't very reliable in terms of frame data. If you were going for jab -> DSmash, just be aware that it isn't very good for anything except popping up your opponent and getting some damage in.
1:47 - Another airdodge.
1:51 - This time, your opponent realized you were waiting for the DTilt and instead decided to glide attack you.
1:56 - By now, you should've realized that whenever you come from below, your opponent likes to airdodge.
1:59 - No Counter :(. 10-frame start-up is pretty slow.

General comments: I didn't really comment on the last stock because the problems were pretty much the same as the beginning of the match. Your opponent played very campy, but you never really read his rolls or punished his airdodges; try playing more patiently and predict what he will do next. You should also refrain from completing the jab combo when the first few hits miss; it caused you to take some damage that could've been avoided. Interestingly, you grab too much; for you, it seems as though grabbing is the only way to punish out of shield. You can also BAir out of shield or drop your shield and jab, which does more damage than just grabbing. You should also try to implement jab canceling more; the jab combo does a hefty amount of damage, but you can also jab -> jab combo to do even more. Jab -> jab cancel -> grab is also a good option (but not as reliable as jab -> jab), as well as jab -> UTilt or even jab -> BAir. When your opponent is off the stage, jab -> DTilt may also work depending on how floaty they are.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Senior Critic Palpi reporting for duty... LAWLAWLALWALWL

I will critique more when I have the time. Still...no play-by-play, i still adamently hate that. :)

Following people now has a name? (@groundstalking?)

metroid1117

Smash Master
Following people now has a name? (@groundstalking?)
I don't know... I've always called it that :ohwell:. It seems like a better term for "following an aerial opponent," much like "spacing" is a better term for "positioning yourself so you have a good chance of hitting an opponent while keeping yourself safe in case you miss".

Palpi

Smash Hero
Nice matches Charby!

Match 1 -

Watch out for your spot-dodging especially against Lucarios lingering hit-boxes. They will hit you anyway.

There was multiple instances where you continued to the third hit of a jab combo, when the Lucario player was no where near you. This can and will get you punished.

Good usage of your b-air even the OoS ones that didn't hit seemed effective in scaring your opponent.

(Tell your Lucario friend to stop doing Fair Dair so much and incorporate nair into his game for maximum comboage.)

You would have had a lot harder of a match if the Lucario used his abilities to punish Ike faults like recovering so that instantly made the match-up easier for you.

*For horizontal momentum cancelling you should air-dodge then jump, not uair or bair because they lag too much. DI up any attack that can kill you so you won't be forced to use a quick draw to recover and probably die.

Against Wario Jab1->Jab2 > dash grab only works if your opponent doesnt DI up and/or jump so that is why you got punished at 1:22.

Work on punishing the few moves Wario uses that can be punished like dsmash.

Use more air-release stuff on Wario instead of wasting a grab with a fthrow.

-Senior Critic Palpi

metroid1117

Smash Master
Putting up another video for critique even though the ending was gay :/.
Frigate is gay
It's going to be inaccurate to critique an online video, but you know that already lol.

0:39 - USmash would've been better than FTilt here; FTilt would've only hit if he dropped down, but USmash would've had a chance to hit him even if he stayed on the platform.
0:49 - I'm pretty sure that if it weren't for Wi-Fi lag, you would've BAir'd him instead of jumping over and going for the FAir.
0:59 - Wow that was silly, I thought you had him there -_-.
1:13 - It's not like your options were too good at that moment, but he read your airdodge; you started airdodging into him before like at 1:01 and 1:03, so he baited it with his shield this time.
2:35 - It was smart to DAir here; you figured out that he was reading your airdodges, so you changed up your tactics.

HOLY **** that was a stupid ending lol.

I don't think there's too much to say here; it was a very close game at the very end, it would've been interesting to see who would've won without that last mishap. You had some good reads like running under him with that USmash for the kill on his first stock (1:29), but other times you either got put into horrible positions (like when you were just forced to come up with Aether on your 2nd stock) or were read (like those airdodges in the beginning). You played solidly though, there's nothing that I can really nit-pick on. Good match.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504

theeboredone

Smash Legend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDBxnFh4AbM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DaDHimm2aA

^^^ Two vids of me to critique, whichever one you want to (or both). They're a little outdated, only about a week and a half, so my play style hasn't changed too much since then. I'll add some newer vids that are also not WiFi pretty soon, I just got impatient and decided to give you guys something to critique me on, lol.
The moment I saw TL kill himself cause he thought he would connect with d-air, I quit watching.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Yeah.. I'm just never putting up a Wifi video for critique. It's nothing like the real deal at all. My advice to you, Nysyarc, is to wait until you've got videos of offline games.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I believe that Charby's texture hack for Ike was a hybrid of the Kingdom Hearts design of Cloud Strife, and the Advent Children design. Up close without pausing it doesn't really make you think of Cloud, but from afar...you get the feeling, yeah.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Yeah.. I'm just never putting up a Wifi video for critique. It's nothing like the real deal at all. My advice to you, Nysyarc, is to wait until you've got videos of offline games.
lol not everyone on wifi suicides themselves xD
but that TL thing was hilarious lol

i'll play ya Nysyarc if you need better opponents lol ;_;
i always see you in the OTL section :p

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Actually the TL was pretty good, that SD was just one of his more aggressive moments, and he plays all 35 characters so you can't blame him for not doing exceptionally well at one >.<

And yah WiFi is all I have except my brother and a few local tournament junkies, most of whom aren't very good... besides, I'm not gonna be going to many live tourneys, not where I live, but I am going to be doing a lot of online ones. The only real big difference on WiFi is that jab canceling is null.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
actually jab canceling seems to work better on wifi lol

unless the lag is really heavy,then i can understand
it's harder to do lol

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yah well, jab canceling itself isn't too much harder, but what I mean is like, Ike's jab game in general. Buffering things like jab -> Bair is more or less impossible on WiFi. If I try to input the buttons as fast as offline, I end up doing a backwards dash attack or something O.o

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol x_X
you could at least say something

i preferred the battlefield one :p

didn't play so well in the FD vid._.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
1:38, seems like I'm the only ******** Ike player who can't land an F-Smash in that situation.

Also, I'm gonna just go out of my way and say that you two bring a shame to the tan Ike color outfit...I am permanently switching to textures only.

As far as comments go...

at 1:38, ComboKing, DI Up please...you could have lived.

Penta, at the 1:38 area, CK reversed aether and you tried to spike him via D-Air. Just use D-Tilt.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I don't enjoy critiquing matches where the player who wants critiquing wins. When you lose you obviously either got out played or made a lot of mistakes and that is what I like helping with.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
1:38, seems like I'm the only ******** Ike player who can't land an F-Smash in that situation.

Also, I'm gonna just go out of my way and say that you two bring a shame to the tan Ike color outfit...I am permanently switching to textures only.

As far as comments go...

at 1:38, ComboKing, DI Up please...you could have lived.

Penta, at the 1:38 area, CK reversed aether and you tried to spike him via D-Air. Just use D-Tilt.
thanks but i didn't ask for any commentary about myself
and im aware of how bad that match looks,no need to remind me lol >.>

Top Bottom