• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ART with your POWER!!! #1 (RESULTS ARE UP!)

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I guess it doesn't. Though it would be kind of cheap to say "This is the everyday life of *insert something super rare and exciting*" because then you could literally draw/paint anything you want. It's a fine line and if you think you're crossing the border it would be best to ask for our approval on the topic first :)
I agree. I think there are some clever ways to do it I would find acceptable, but it couldn't be super out there.

Niiro

Smash Ace
rawr. i'm probably gonna do this, cuz i won't be moving around for awhile lol. <3 this idea.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I guess it doesn't. Though it would be kind of cheap to say "This is the everyday life of *insert something super rare and exciting*" because then you could literally draw/paint anything you want. It's a fine line and if you think you're crossing the border it would be best to ask for our approval on the topic first :)
So just to clarify. We could do something like they everyday site of an ant, like if there are ants in your backyard. Take a picture or draw/paint something near the nest that the ants would probably see every time they come out of the nest. Or would this be crossing the line?

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I would consider that acceptable since it's your backyard and you can go out any day and watch them. yeah, it's close, but it's ok in my book.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would agree, if you physically can go out and see this thing, then I think that's automatically fine. If you want to do it from the perspective of an ant, I think that'd be interesting too.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Agreed. Was actually the type of example I was thinking of, but I didn't want to spoil anyone's ideas by saying it meself =3

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
How do you guys feel about abstract art? I have an idea, but then again, I wouldn't want the judges or other contestants to think that it took me five minutes, or that their five year-old could do the same thing. I realize it's very subjective, but I wouldn't want to submit a piece that could be construed in that manner.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Well that's another reason having descriptions are good. Also, most people on SWF couldn't even dream of doing Picasso's abstract art. Abstract doesn't necessarily mean a lack of skill.

Less than two weeks, guys!

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
It's all up to you. Rothko was a great artist, even though so many critic's questioned the little skill it took to physically make the painting. But yes, descriptions of your thought process and what you were trying to do would contribute greatly to our understanding of an abstract piece. If you were to do it, I'd recommend adding a description with the steps.

On a side note, I was asked about works that border on surrealism. if you are doing a surreal piece, obviously it won't look 'everyday'. However, the subject of the piece that more so has to be 'everyday' than the actual paint/strokes. Like above, it would be best to add descriptions of the process and final product to better our understanding.

Chaco

Never Logs In
How do you feel about surrealism with this prompt?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Wow, I totally didn't even see that. That's scary bad vision.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Phew! OK, I finally have a progress picture.

It still needs a background and colors of course, but I figured I'd post this for starters. Still rough around the edges...

There's a homeless woman that frequents the area near our local Publix shopping center. It gave me the idea of making the homeless as my subject for 'everyday life'... So, yeah, this is what I have so far...

Just ordinary graphite... 4B drawing pencil if it matters.

Uh... I think that's everything I was supposed to include. I just hope I have enough time to finish the final product...:dizzy:

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Then could I do something like from a video game or something? Like a day in the life of Kirby?

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
i havent come up with an idea yet, but what about animating it? Not an actual video, but making a 3-d render of a scene?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Alright here's my stab at this titled: 21 Objects From My Table.

I see and carry and play with this stuff everyday. Effectively, my daily life has compiled upon itself into the above image - all from the table to the side of my bed. It's the books I'm reading, the games I'm playing, the utensils I use. None of this was specially collected from anywhere: I simply cleared a space for my scanner and started photographing anything at arms length. This is my "every day".

My "proof":

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
My favorite game ever. <3

I just used this random scanner my mom brought home. I'm heartbroken I don't have a real camera anymore.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Here's my submission. I shall call it: Blindsided.

I attempted to encapsulate a sense of everyday life with this picture. It's little surprises. Being caught off guard. You never know what life is going to throw at you everyday, and that's what I wanted to show.

Materials: white sketchbook paper, HB sketching pencil, coloured pencils, and fine tip inking pen.

Work-in-Progress #1: Sketch.

Work-in-Progress #2: Before colour!

Spire

III
BRoomer
Klaus Nomi

Klaus Nomi

With this painting, I wanted to truly capture Klaus Nomi and the strenuous process he would put himself through in different forms every day of his life. He had to be seen in public dressed obscurely, and while he assumed many looks, this was his most [in]famous - the look that carried him to stardom on stage as a performance artist. But, Klaus suffered strongly from solemnity, and the reluctance to assume a normal lifestyle led him deeper into this persona. He wanted to be seen beyond this cosmetic disguise by his friends and peers, but could not come to terms with himself even. He fell further into his lonely life, relying heavily on his stage act to keep him going, but even more heavily on the highly abstracted and worn obsession with his spacey "Nomi" cult, which the outfit seen above entirely personifies.

Klaus wanted nothing more than love in life, but as his ego grew, it became more and more difficult for him to turn to those who truly cared about him, eventually cutting off many important people to the success of his career as a means of finding oneness with himself. This unfortunately did not work, as he lost beloved friends due to this alienating mindset, and soon after developed a quickly growing case of the "gay cancer", which later came to be known as AIDS. Nomi died a lesser man than he began as.

With this painting, I aimed to capture this struggle with himself; this ongoing solemnity. I wanted to depict Nomi sitting in the dark makeup room reminiscent of the low-quality venues he'd play at, simply looking upon himself and his life. As seen by Nomi in the foreground, he is apparently looking at himself in the mirror, but upon recognizing the direction of his eyes, he's actually not looking at himself. He can't look at himself; he can only look to space, the beyond, and a fantasy life that this guise might take him to, to escape the inadequacies in life that he is bound to. Perhaps it is safe to say that Klaus was just not meant for the world, or inversely, the world was not ready for Klaus.

WIP Photo I
WIP Photo II

Also, sorry about the poor quality image; my camera sucks, so if I can borrow a better camera, I'll upload a new image. Thanks!

With this post, my glorious 2,500th post, I'm now a Smash Master. Bonjovi!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
As I've already said on AIM, the piece is awesome my man. Though, I still think I prefer Humpty, this definitely is it's closest rival.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Hmmm...

Is "Art" even a verb?

Anyway, I probably won't get around to submitting an entry this contest, but if I ever participate, I'll probably just go with photography. I'm too lazy (and a bad artist) to draw anything. :p

Any possibility that this'll eventually be seperated into its own forum like WWYP?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Great piece, Spire. I'm jealous. :p
Well thanks :)
Hmmm...

Is "Art" even a verb?

Anyway, I probably won't get around to submitting an entry this contest, but if I ever participate, I'll probably just go with photography. I'm too lazy (and a bad artist) to draw anything. :p

Any possibility that this'll eventually be seperated into its own forum like WWYP?
Let's try it out as a verb. "Hey mang, why don't you go art that wall?"

In bent English, sure, but proper, I'm thinking no.

This might get its own forum if enough AWYPs are done in the future. But aside from that, please submit something, I'd love to see what you could do with this prompt :)

Clownbot

Smash Lord
"Hey mang, why don't you go art that wall?"
Sigged. :)

Like I said, I probably won't get around to it this contest (the deadline's just a couple of days away, right?), but I'm REALLY hoping to submit an entry for a future one. Almost as much as I want a custom title. And a paintbrush icon. And a new car. Well, not really on that last one.

Until next time, AWYP.

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
D: Why am I JUST finding this awesomeness? The deadline's tomorrow and I have two other projects underway! XD

AH WELL. I'll catch the next one. :D

Also, hello art peoples~

Frown

poekmon
I made a panorama. I call it... "My daily view". Yeah, that'll do.

http://wimg.co.uk/912.jpg

The picture is HUGE, I didn't want to put tags around it.

Basically, it's my favourite vista from my daily jogging route. I wanted to add something else, and I thought my little sister would be good. I meet her every day.

Anyway, I finding a way to make a panorama was a pain in the butt. In the end, I had to borrow my cousin's computer with Photoshop to make it. Also, it took me half an hour to find an image server that could handle this size.

Edit: I just remembered that part about taking another picture to prove I made it. I'll have it tomorrow.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
It's... pretty simple, but it's alright.

Probably better than anything I could do. :p

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Here is my entry:

Journey

And my proof is here.

Each tatter and mark on the shoe represents the different things the wearer of the shoe has been through, like the shoelace that’s torn in half, the gaping hole in the side. Scattered around the shoe is the dirt carried with it, the ground it has tread.

All of this is laid out on a pile of papers; the paper of society, how work-based everyday life is. Everyday life is carried with the shoe and the experiences it’s had, but ultimately the background of the picture, the way society is controls it, affects the everyday life greatly.

Top Bottom