• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Mokumo

Smash Ace
thanks for the advice a few pages back about counterpicking peach. so ghey lol yoshis story is definately a bad idea unless you're scar.

im trying to think of another question...

what do you think about when you're BEING tech chased? i heard that a lot of falcon mains don't like falcon dittos that much, but i love them because of all the tech chase ****. when im being thrown around i think about how i DI and how i tech. even people that are good have a tendency to tech in the same direction that they DI on an up throw. at least until they catch on. I was playing some really good falcon in teams at fight night in GU on tuesday and i thought i was so smart when i DIed away and teched in because he stomped waaayyy on the other side of the stage where i would have been if i teched left.

then i triple stomp -> kneed him.

Scar

#HarveyDent
****ing marth1

So Scar
I want to do OK in genesis, but I know I have no hope anyway. With the knowledge that my falcon isn't great, just good, should I play him?
if you're more comfortable with other characters then sure

if you want falcon to be your main play him, ESPECIALLY if you think you're going to still be playing Melee by Pound4 and you want to have a sick captain falcon

ways to get better include working on your basic tech skill (turn around timings, gentleman, aerial timings), watching videos, and playing new and different people i.e. playing tournament sets at genesis

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
****ing marth1

if you're more comfortable with other characters then sure

if you want falcon to be your main play him, ESPECIALLY if you think you're going to still be playing Melee by Pound4 and you want to have a sick captain falcon

ways to get better include working on your basic tech skill (turn around timings, gentleman, aerial timings), watching videos, and playing new and different people i.e. playing tournament sets at genesis
My tech skill is good, my mindgames are great, and my tech chasing is spot on. And I can pivot like a mofo. I just feel like my cfal can't deal with other top tiers that well, save spacies and cfal himself. I mean, there are things I still have to work on, but I'm fine with the progress I've made and consider him one of my good characters.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
wait what?
falcon ***** marth,and if youre good vs spacies all thats left is sheik which is a dum match up
not that bad, but still bad

just switch for sheik if you cant handle it

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
I picked up sheik this morning lol. I really need to practice the hell out of her, but if all else fails I'll go peach and bust out my crazy fc nair shieldbreakers.

And Falcon does not have an advantage vs marth, and I consider myself a tech chaser more than a comboer. And isn't falcon a sheik counter?

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
looooool you are obviously new to falcon

welcome

sheik counters falcon

falcon doesnt exactly counter marth, but its in his favor 55-45

learn to combo

Cia

das kwl
no.. seriously. a lot of falcon players need to stop feeling sorry for themselves. he's a GOOD character. (or at the very least a good contender)

let's talk a little about the match up.

- Sheik can tech chase Falcon pretty badly. He can do the same to her.
- Sheik can combo Falcon to Hell. He can do it too, but BETTER!
- Sheik edge guards Falcon like a Beast. He can do the same. Take ledge > Dair > Fair. Anyone?
- Both Characters have nice platform control
- Falcon Can short hop the length of EVERYONE's tech roll. so EVERYONE can be tech chased with Dair..
- Sheik's gay needle's often force Falcon to approach.
- Sheik's better grab makes it so that she has a high probability of getting first grab.

----

believe me, i know this match up from both sides. and the minute ONE side gains momentum, the other gets *****.

While slightly in Sheik's favor, i believe this match up is closer to even than being a counter. and i'm sure quite a few others (who ignore character bias) will feel the same way.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
lol i never feel sorry for myself for playing falcon
he *****

you forgot to add sheik can crouch cancel dsmash alot of stupid things
falcons tech roll takes 4 hours so hes easier to tech chase
and sheik has the better platform control because of needle canceling or w/e its called

her tilts **** falcons approach
um she can gimp him pretty easy if your smart, for falcon to gimp sheik its much harder
her edgeguard vs falcon is waaay easier like tilt fair or just dsmash

the only thing i think falcon has going for him is the up throw knee at like 70 or something

the rest is a pain in the butt
but its doable

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol vanz is entitled to his opinion but the fact that literally everyone else (besides sheik players who feel sorry for themselves) disagrees makes me say FALSE

matchups that i hate:
fox
falco
sheik
peach
marth
jiggs
dittos
ICs
low tiers

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I picked up sheik this morning lol. I really need to practice the hell out of her, but if all else fails I'll go peach and bust out my crazy fc nair shieldbreakers.

And Falcon does not have an advantage vs marth, and I consider myself a tech chaser more than a comboer. And isn't falcon a sheik counter?
Please refrain from trolling the falcon boards.

Sheik is gayyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

@jona-I think platform control is controlling your opponent when they are on the platform by hitting them from underneath or as they tech. Its not a king of the hill where sheik can needle cancel to keep you from getting up there.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
wow..

I read your post and i agree with some of what you say. But that statement there is just.. =/ i'm going to stop here.
i dont see why
the only ease at mind you got is that if you get a grab in a good position were up throw will work will probably kill the sheik. other then that to get to the 70% sucks

sometimes you can get lucky and do the chaingrabs that shouldnt work.

if you dont get ftilted while your trying to dair you can start up good combo

the up throw knee is the only thing that doesnt have a "if" or luck involved in it. its guaranteed. nothing else is.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
scar u should make a poll to see who people think is the worst matchup for falcon and we can discuss it and ish

Scar

#HarveyDent
ya i hate vs zelda

also i hate vs mario and vs doc if it's boss b/c he's the best mario/doc in the world

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
no.. seriously. a lot of falcon players need to stop feeling sorry for themselves. he's a GOOD character. (or at the very least a good contender)

let's talk a little about the match up.

- Sheik can tech chase Falcon pretty badly. He can do the same to her.
- Sheik can combo Falcon to Hell. He can do it too, but BETTER!
- Sheik edge guards Falcon like a Beast. He can do the same. Take ledge > Dair > Fair. Anyone?
- Both Characters have nice platform control
- Falcon Can short hop the length of EVERYONE's tech roll. so EVERYONE can be tech chased with Dair..
- Sheik's gay needle's often force Falcon to approach.
- Sheik's better grab makes it so that she has a high probability of getting first grab.

----

believe me, i know this match up from both sides. and the minute ONE side gains momentum, the other gets *****.

While slightly in Sheik's favor, i believe this match up is closer to even than being a counter. and i'm sure quite a few others (who ignore character bias) will feel the same way.
She basically does everything better. Tech chasing check. Better tech roll check. More priority check. Better gimp options check. A better recovery for not being gimped. Check. Better platform control. Check. Easier to come by combos IE not hard to setup and very consistent. Check.

Falcon can do some better damage at times, is faster so he can sorta weave in and out, can edge guard her ok as long as he gets the easy knee of ledge and she dies, and has a better move to end combos with when it connects. But and all and all, she is just a better character by a noticeable amount. There is something to complain about.

Also, Falcons, play me. I want the challenges.

Edit: No low tier matchup johns guys.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
falcons worst matchups by far are fox/falco. good falcons can **** fox/falcos if they are experienced and can finish combos, but in terms of the games physics, fox/falco just has nearly infinite options when it comes to comboing falcon to death, . spiking shining and aerial priority can overwhelm falcon's defense to a degree. grab combos rely on tech chasing (if they DI correctly), so you really have to focus and finish combos to have a chance at winning. they are the only thing close enough to be called a counter, IMO, although they really arent if you are just good.

sheik can be bad if she is camping really hard, smart shieks can really limit falcons approach, but all it takes is a simple trick or two to land a couple hits and a grab, and then the **** can ensue from there. grab combos and ledge games on sheik absolutely destroy her, just gotta get that opening.

just dont go off the stage or get hit in the air against marth. once you do that, just grab and ****.

does anyone really have trouble vs peach still??!?!? should be a no brainer.

dair and bair ICs. all match. dont land close to them, just driveby bairs and dairs.

any other matchup should be disgusting **** with just simple grab/dair/uair to knee combos. you should probably win just solely kneeing all match.

Top Bottom