• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I agree that the Sheik/Falcon matchup is extremely momentum-based, and I also agree that it just takes a trick or two to land that first hit on Sheik. I have trouble with some of these, though, for example the immediate raptor boost after a tech. G-Reg in particular is great at escaping Sheik's tech chases and reversing momentum this way. Is it just a matter of practicing the timing through repetition?

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i mean, the sheik can get you with something on every option, so you just gotta mix up your choices. i played with tope a lot so yea i got lots of practice.

Cia

das kwl
falcons worst matchups by far are fox/falco. good falcons can **** fox/falcos if they are experienced and can finish combos, but in terms of the games physics, fox/falco just has nearly infinite options when it comes to comboing falcon to death, . spiking shining and aerial priority can overwhelm falcon's defense to a degree. grab combos rely on tech chasing (if they DI correctly), so you really have to focus and finish combos to have a chance at winning. they are the only thing close enough to be called a counter, IMO, although they really arent if you are just good.

sheik can be bad if she is camping really hard, smart shieks can really limit falcons approach, but all it takes is a simple trick or two to land a couple hits and a grab, and then the **** can ensue from there. grab combos and ledge games on sheik absolutely destroy her, just gotta get that opening.

just dont go off the stage or get hit in the air against marth. once you do that, just grab and ****.

does anyone really have trouble vs peach still??!?!? should be a no brainer.

dair and bair ICs. all match. dont land close to them, just driveby bairs and dairs.

any other matchup should be disgusting **** with just simple grab/dair/uair to knee combos. you should probably win just solely kneeing all match.
^ Best post thus far. listen to g-reg

Scar

#HarveyDent
g-reg is right

matchups i still hate:
fox
falco
sheik
marth
peach
dittos
jigglypuff
ICs
low tiers

edit: also g-reg have you read the OP of this thread b/c i just re-read it and it a) is brilliant and b) was made as sort of an homage to you

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
falcons worst matchups by far are fox/falco. good falcons can **** fox/falcos if they are experienced and can finish combos, but in terms of the games physics, fox/falco just has nearly infinite options when it comes to comboing falcon to death, . spiking shining and aerial priority can overwhelm falcon's defense to a degree. grab combos rely on tech chasing (if they DI correctly), so you really have to focus and finish combos to have a chance at winning. they are the only thing close enough to be called a counter, IMO, although they really arent if you are just good.

sheik can be bad if she is camping really hard, smart shieks can really limit falcons approach, but all it takes is a simple trick or two to land a couple hits and a grab, and then the **** can ensue from there. grab combos and ledge games on sheik absolutely destroy her, just gotta get that opening.

just dont go off the stage or get hit in the air against marth. once you do that, just grab and ****.

does anyone really have trouble vs peach still??!?!? should be a no brainer.

dair and bair ICs. all match. dont land close to them, just driveby bairs and dairs.

any other matchup should be disgusting **** with just simple grab/dair/uair to knee combos. you should probably win just solely kneeing all match.
Can I subscribe to your posts?

g-regulate

Smash Hero
people just say that because falcon is super easy to juggle/combo, and can be pretty easy to edgeguard. none of them can really compare to falcons offensive output, though.

i forgot about jiggs!! dont be aggressive vs good jiggs. bide your time and beat him at his own spacing games. uair if he floats too high/much, and grab at any good opportunity. dthrow/stomp knee is your best friend.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
people just say that because falcon is super easy to juggle/combo, and can be pretty easy to edgeguard. none of them can really compare to falcons offensive output, though.
yea, I think people get this opinion from ****** crappy Falcons. everyone has good combos on Falcon cause he's a fast faller and everyone ***** his recovery because it blows, but once you play a Falcon with a head on their shoulders, you just get your **** packed in with low tiers as every stock ends in a demoralizing death combo that your ****ty character could do absolutely nothing about...

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Hi Scar, Greg, Big D, and any other falcon player whos better than me and may take pity on me and bless me with their knowledge.

Need advice about facing a luigi. This guy and I go about 50/50 i have more tech skill than he does but i just dont know what alot.

the only things i know to do are slow fall my stomps to avoid the spotdodge and upair, but i never seem to find a great time to upair.

edit

and btw will a big name Falcon player please message PEEF/Rich Wheeler and tell him that falco is a bad matchup for falcon, he doesnt think its a bad matchup.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
uair them after theyre above you, so after you land those stomps or you can throw to uairs

you gotta space your uairs somewhat cause luigis nair is really good, its an unusual thing to do but youll be able to do it if you think about it

jump out and stomp him occasionally for a crowd pleasing/effective edgeguard, he'll meteor cancel with up b and go straight up then die

falco is hard for falcon but until falcos get really good at consistent spacing etc. they'll die to knees at like 45% when you just throw them out, until relatively recently he was my favorite to fight between fox sheik and falco. but yeah falco definitely has the advantage

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Luigi is a ****ing monster.

REally what you need to watch out for his is double (if Ka triple) aerials. Because he can sh an attack make sure he lands b4 u go for the grab.

to **** luigi you need to bait grabs and down throw followed by uairs. Its a little bit harder to finish with the knee because luigi recovers from hitstun very quickly so knee when ur sure it will hit.

Hes a floaty so same rules apply but just be careful of his offense and ground speed. Watch out for jab to grab and WD downsmash.

Other than that you need to stay low to the ground and space nairs and get grabs off. Stomp to knee at mid to lower percents and stomp to uair at higher ones. Try to get him off the stage and backair his luigi missile when he attempts to come back.

Just be patient and wait for opportunity. Luigi seems to have different timings than other matchups. He leaves openings like anyone else but if u dont kno the luigi u will miss them. Dash dance and shield all of the aerials and punish after the barrage.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Hello again. Lol I know I posted a few videos a few weeks ago but I have some more. My Cf versus my bro's marth. He actually does the ken combo and recovery and annoying stuff like that so its challenging at times. Anyways please rate my falcon again. I have gotten somewhat better I think. Lol I was complaining about how hard it is to shuffle the nairs but i do it easily now! Uairs.. ugh not so much. anyways just rate him. please. This time they are just 2 sets and are shorter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckSpFcMsah0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxfEXBZDbCE

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
Luigi is my least favorite matchup in the game. His nair comes out in 2 frames, does 15 damage, pops you straight up, and has priority over every move ever. It's the win button. It comes down to how many nairs you can throw out, and then combo into knee. Dthrow is your friend.

@Cfal: Uhh, don't side b as much, really. I can't think of much else. Most of the problems in your playstyle will be smoothed over by experience.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
thanks guys, and yeah big d i do sometimes do that flashy stomp while hes charging his missile, and your right he meteor cancels it but luigis up+b is straight up so he dies!

g-regulate

Smash Hero
mario and luigi THINK they have really good priority. falcon's priority actually beats theirs with some spacing.

fun trick on luigi's that just spam nair to get out of combos: stand just under then and charge fsmash/dsmash, let them fall into it. works great with fox uthrow, just charge usmash and let them fall in lol.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
mario and luigi THINK they have really good priority. falcon's priority actually beats theirs with some spacing.
semantics again...

you're not actually beating their priority if it requires spacing, instead, you're outspacing them, they're different things.

but of course you're right, the key to making Mario bros look stupid with Falcon is to just space your **** and there's nothing they can do about the fact that your aerials have about three times the range of theirs.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Falcon is ridiculously easy to edge guard, but his wall hugging abilities make wall teching stuff like Marth's f smash and fox d smash easy, but how do u tech something that takes a long time like Pikachu's F smash or ganon's stomp?

Milos

Smash Lord
Falcon is ridiculously easy to edge guard, but his wall hugging abilities make wall teching stuff like Marth's f smash and fox d smash easy, but how do u tech something that takes a long time like Pikachu's F smash or ganon's stomp?
what i do is i press L/R before i get hit, and then use the OD hitlag to smashDI into the ledge

it works most of the time, it's a fairly large window if you concentrate.

shiz told me this is the best way to tech marth's counter with spacies as well

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
what i do is i press L/R before i get hit, and then use the OD hitlag to smashDI into the ledge

it works most of the time, it's a fairly large window if you concentrate.

shiz told me this is the best way to tech marth's counter with spacies as well
for the most part thats the only way to tech anything instantly. You cant tech during hitlag or activate a tech by hitting l or R. You have to hit it b4 within 20 frames i think. u cant tech for the next 40 frames from hitting l or R if u miss the tech.

just knowing that should help with timing. Also you have to smash Di into the stage and auto smash DI is the frame when you tech. You cant tech during smash DI only autosmash(last frame of hitstun)

Milos

Smash Lord
butttttt

my point still stands :)

thanks for the clarification. i love taking advantage of the good ol' 40 frame rule, mad useful for jab reset mindgames bahahaha

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Peach is supposed to be a no brainer?

I guess I have no idea how to handle this matchup. I camp like crazy dash dancing and jumping around trying to bait them to do something, and it sometimes works but other times I just get smacked and repeatedly banged around the stage until I'm on like 90% or lost a stock. So frustrating.

Any tips to handling this matchup? This matchup and jiggs are the last matchups i need to know before I can safely say that I am CAPABLE of winning most matchups.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
for the most part thats the only way to tech anything instantly. You cant tech during hitlag or activate a tech by hitting l or R. You have to hit it b4 within 20 frames i think. u cant tech for the next 40 frames from hitting l or R if u miss the tech.

just knowing that should help with timing. Also you have to smash Di into the stage and auto smash DI is the frame when you tech. You cant tech during smash DI only autosmash(last frame of hitstun)
so what if the hit lasts more than 20 frames? or is there no hit that lags that long?

Zephyr

Smash Lord
There's no hit that lags that long. The closest attack I can think of is Samus' charge shot, and I don't think it hits the 20 frame mark.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
so what if the hit lasts more than 20 frames? or is there no hit that lags that long?
Then it would literally be untechable not from properties of the move but simple from frame data and there being a lack of a possibility. This will not happen. The more hit lag a move has the more inputs of smash DI u can enter to influence your trajectory.

1 frame of hitlag allows for 1 input of smash DI and you get one ASDI input the frame after hitlag.

BUT I believe Samus's charge shot has the highest amount of hit lag lasting 18 frames.(might be 16). Which would give allow you 19 inputs of DI.

Some untechable moves I can think of off the top that arent status changing moves or count as throws (disable, confusion, sing, cape) are m2s downsmash, fsmash and foxs dair. Those cannot be teched instantly or double stick teched but can be teched upon landing. You cannot ledge tech foxs dair tho while m2s smashes can be.
butttttt

my point still stands :)

thanks for the clarification. i love taking advantage of the good ol' 40 frame rule, mad useful for jab reset mindgames bahahaha
Yea, I wasnt refuting what u were saying only trying to add some valueable info to the discussion. Alot of ppl miss techs and dont know why. Once I learned this it helped me tech much more often, and gave me knowledge to double stick tech without it being an accident.

Top Bottom