• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

TresChikon

Smash Lord
@ KAOSTAR

I see, so high hitlag time gives you a good deal of time to Smash DI, essentially saving your life, but requires much more precise timing.

Also, that was some really cool info on untechable moves, though teching a cape would be hilariously broken.

Thanks so much for the help!

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
@ KAOSTAR

I see, so high hitlag time gives you a good deal of time to Smash DI, essentially saving your life, but requires much more precise timing.

Also, that was some really cool info on untechable moves, though teching a cape would be hilariously broken.

Thanks so much for the help!
Pretty much. Higher amounts of hitlag are harder to tech instantly but easier to survive from because you have more time to smash DI. its pretty much you gotta do it within |20-hitlag|=time frame to hit R or L for an instatech

and ur welcome

DrewB008

Smash Lord
not bad at all peef, youre pretty consistent with your combos and have a good jiano style going

you throw out grabs pretty frequently, it was working in that match but it wont all the time. try wd out of shield to grab to punish marths fsmash when hes too far away to just knee

not much else that i see that you wont get with just more experience and practice, good stuff

Scar

#HarveyDent
peef/rich weeler is a jerk if he thinks falcon falco is even or not in falco's favor. it's blatantly bad for falcon

vs luigi advice

first of all you really can't combo him unless you're as fast as possible, which you probably aren't if i haven't heard of you. if you want to do something special, tighten up your aerial speed, in other words make sure your nairs are coming out as soon as you leave the ground and make sure you're fastfalling as soon as you can while still hitting with the second part of the nair. this part is difficult and it'll take a lot of dedication on your part to figure it out.

so now if you can't combo luigi, keep that in mind because you don't want to eat nairs bc they lead to dsmash/usmash/grabs which combo hard

realize that both of luigi's good grabs (uthrow and dthrow) send you behind him, so DI in front is bad b/c you go straight up, DI behind him so that you get as far away as possible and keep him guessing with your techs.

dthrow him almost all the time, uthrow i don't think ever combos on luigi. dthrow nair is great if they DI away, otherwise dthrow uair and run away, don't try to keep him up b/c you probably can't

also **** him when he's offstage, his recovery is pretty garbage so take advantage of that. CF has one of the longest rolls off of the ledge in the game, and at >100% his roll edgehogs for like at least a full second. bait them into prematurely upBing and edgehog them if they don't know the matchup

DON'T GET COIN SPIKED

PEEF!

Smash Hero
peef/rich weeler is a jerk if he thinks falcon falco is even or not in falco's favor. it's blatantly bad for falcon
Huh? I think Falco is Falcon's second worst matchup, only behind Fox.....I never said otherwise... If Reneblade told you that he is just fishing for an argument. Don't worry =]

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
I have a question about surviving a dropzone knee.

Usually when I go for one, it connects and kills the stupid spacie, but I don't survive nearly enough. Is there a way to survive doing a dropzone? Because it seems totally random to me.

No, I'm not fastfalling my knees. lol.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
you just get used to doing it as soon as you run off and jumping as soon as the lag wears off

i used to die all the time but now i almost never do

but yoshis story you can still die pretty easily

linksta888

Smash Apprentice
Two questions, I can't ever get my gentlemans out without going into the rapid punches, i've tried tapping A twice quickly, pausing and then tpping A again, and I have also tried hitting a twice and then a and z on the knee but the jabs keep coming out after wards. Am I making some foolish mistake that is stopping me from doing gentlemans?

Also, Scar, in your combo videos IKM1 and 2 you did a move where you started at the ledge of Yoshi's Story, scarjumped and then after the jump you used your double jump towards that stage and then kneed. Do you fall from the ledge by quickly tapping at the c-stick or do I just need to practice more without using the c-stick to fall? Because I can't seem to drop and immediately DI from the ledge unless I drop with the c-stick, and sometimes when I drop witht he c-stick I hold it out too long and I accidentally use an attack, which ends out with me killing myself. This question also applies to normal scarjumps into multiple wall jumps and knees.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
1. You need to tap A twice, pause, and then HOLD A for the gentleman.

2. If I remember correctly, Scar uses the C stick to let go of the ledge, DIs toward the ledge with the control stick until CF is "hugging Yoshi's story," and then presses away on the control stick while using to C stick to Knee. He does not use his second jump.

linksta888

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I wasn't talking about normal scar jumps into knees, I was talking about when Scardrops from the ledge, then hugs the wall and jumps off, then quickly uses his double jump to get onto the stage and knees whoever's on the stage.

But thanks, you solved my problem, and also, has anyone had major pain in their arm (like around your veins at your wrist) after practicing moonwalks for a long time while trying your hardest every moonwalk?

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Ahh, I've seen that.

Yeah, I have had wrist pain. Not from moon walking, but Fox stuff. Just take a break.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
What's the best way to learn how to ledge cancel Falcon's upB?

I mean, I can tell when my aerials will ledge cancel, but I'm having a hard time with his upB.

Would it be best to find a spot where I can just DI straight towards the stage to ledge cancel, or manipulate my DI whilst falling to get it?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
What's the best way to learn how to ledge cancel Falcon's upB?

I mean, I can tell when my aerials will ledge cancel, but I'm having a hard time with his upB.

Would it be best to find a spot where I can just DI straight towards the stage to ledge cancel, or manipulate my DI whilst falling to get it?
Ive found it easier to do it while DIing back but thats just getting the spot right and completely unimportant.

To practice you can go to stadium and do it on the two platforms there from the standing position. Dreamland seems to have enough space to try it from the ledge and try to cancel on the platforms.

just know that its farther then you think. You have a set height and momentum is low, so you are falling off the edge from the momentum of your DI alone. Try to land as far on the edge as you can and you should actually just fall off. ie ledgecancel
Lol. Funny vid. Thanks. Walltech> WARLOCK PUNCH!
I think that was actually gimpyfish lol. I kno he uploaded the original so it prob was him.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
1. You need to tap A twice, pause, and then HOLD A for the gentleman.

2. If I remember correctly, Scar uses the C stick to let go of the ledge, DIs toward the ledge with the control stick until CF is "hugging Yoshi's story," and then presses away on the control stick while using to C stick to Knee. He does not use his second jump.
No need for a pause.

Tap A (fully release the button)
Tap A again (fully release the button)
Hold A and then cancel it with anything (like a dash)

That's the best way to do the gentleman.

You could also do A -> A -> A+Z
Or just time it.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
No need for a pause.

Or just time it.
Yeah theres tons of ways to get it down, it's just as good to just go 1-2-3 with the same timing for each tap, holding helps, but isn't necessary.

Alukard

Smash Hero
No need for a pause.

Or just time it.
i can do gentleman to light shield like 99% of the time ... its the dash out **** one that gets me ... i get nervous when i think about trying it lolol

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
i can do gentleman to light shield like 99% of the time ... its the dash out **** one that gets me ... i get nervous when i think about trying it lolol
yea it used to get to me too when im trying to go fast

all you gotta do is gentleman, if you can get that down 100% ur good

then just hold the a button and dash away it feels weird cuz you dont usually hold anything while your dash dancing or w/e but its pretty easy

Top Bottom