• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

User Blogs is the cesspool of SmashBoards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Link to original post: [drupal=1930]User Blogs is the cesspool of SmashBoards.[/drupal]

This board was originally created for members to be able to express themselves by writing about their opinions and experiences, and for other people to be able to comment on them. It started out fine. There were some good threads, and it sparked intelligent debate, in some cases.

Look at it, now.

Topics are frequently being derailed by off-beat posts and trolling. Instead of being about reacting to the original post in the blog and debating it, it's about flaming and completely irrelevant side conversation.

This needs to stop.

People need to start realizing what this board's purpose is. It's not your playground, it's your muse. Vent, ponder, debate, analyze, rant and rave. It's not here for your nonsensical spam, or your desire to attack someone. It's here for you, and you are ruining it. Don't bring down the board for the rest of us just because you need something to do. Want to troll? Go to 4chan. Want side conversation? Go to the Pool Room. It's that simple.

Stop attacking people because you don't like the content of their posts.

Stop posting one-liners and pictures as genuine responses.

Stop talking about Mexicans in a thread about a rent dispute.

Someone's blog should be respected. They put effort into writing it, and you should do the same in your responses. Stay on-topic, ignore stupid posts. Don't like the blog? Don't respond. You already wasted enough of your time on it.

I'm sick of seeing User Blogs degenerate into spam and flaming. This place needs an overhaul. I just hope it comes sooner rather than later.

If you're going to respond to this thread, do it in a serious, on-topic manner. Don't troll.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Add In: Stop making every thread about homosexuality.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I agree with this blog.

Also:

This, this, and more this. It stopped being funny about two months ago. Now you're just being posers.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Is this supposed to be the User Blogs Suggestions/Feedback thread?

I'd just appreciate it if posts weren't composed of one liners like "i no right?" or anything near that. The day Jam comes from work tired as **** and starts banning people left and right, I'm gonna lawl.

Enjoy your cool infraction too, Bobson.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I APOLOGIZE.

I wasn't the only one doing it, but I've done it nonetheless, so I'm sorry.

I guess that's all I have to say, other than that hopefully, User Blogs can become something better.​

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Enjoy your cool infraction too, Bobson.
Unless Jam comes back from work in the next 10 minutes and says he gave you permission, consider this your only warning: Do not infract people outside of your room without permission from that room's mod. This is what Smods+ are for.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Actually, this Forum of all places should probably get another mod or two, or maybe be tighter on the rules; if off-topic spam/flaming/trolling is recognized, the user should get infracted (or at least warned), and if they do it again, they should get room banned, or something.

Sorry if I'm a bit out of line here.

bobson

Smash Lord
This crap is exactly what he's talking about.
What, really? And here I thought he was talking about an entirely different kind of crap.

User Blogs has been a spam room from day one. It's what happens when you invite a bunch of people to talk about whatever pointless garbage is on their mind with barely any restrictions on what's too pointless or not. In general, you can post anything you want, so long as you string it out by rambling about your life or whatever so it appears to be a post with some type of merit.

...but who's to say that's a bad thing? Isn't that what blogs are for? If you decide that a thread asking what the OP should have for lunch is bad, what about the other thread where the OP is asking whether he should get a Wii or a 360? If you decide that getting into an off-topic argument is bad, what happens to the thread where the OP is participating in the off-topic argument? What about the "friendly flaming arena?"

Drawing lines of what's "acceptable" or not on this type of forum must be done very carefully, or you'll ruin it for what it is.

You want insightful debates and good posts? Make 'em. There's obviously still room for that in this board; just take a look at some of the "good" threads. But don't get offended if other people don't want to participate.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This. Just because there are people here who aren't against homosexuality doesn't mean that they legitimately care that you're gay. I have gay friends from all over the world but what I don't understand is why gay Americans and Canadians are usually so "loud" about theirs. For example, I hardly bring up my vampirism. Why? Because I know that most people legitmately don't care and I don't want that to be their focus if they don't know me too well. There's definately more to me than my belief system. /end rant

Also, I'm getting sick of the threads where people are whining about the dumbest stuff. For example, the latest thread that Memphischains wrote is no doubt a knee jerk reaction thread to what somebody said to earlier today. If the point of the topic was to be philosophical about it, he would have elaborated and possibly have posted theories onto why he believes but no, of course not, it's just QQ sOmEoNe HuRt MaH fEeLiNgS. The topic that Karina posted the other day and, Serris, the topic you posted were legitmate complaints that weren't just rants or "I hate everyone" topics.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Drawing lines of what's "acceptable" or not on this type of forum must be done very carefully, or you'll ruin it for what it is.
Wouldn't posting forced memes be an example of crossing that line though?

The rest of you're statement I can understand, but don't expect a non-negative response when you post a pointless one-line comment. Just saying.

Chaco

Never Logs In
What, really? And here I thought he was talking about an entirely different kind of crap.

User Blogs has been a spam room from day one. It's what happens when you invite a bunch of people to talk about whatever pointless garbage is on their mind with barely any restrictions on what's too pointless or not. In general, you can post anything you want, so long as you string it out by rambling about your life or whatever so it appears to be a post with some type of merit.

...but who's to say that's a bad thing? Isn't that what blogs are for? If you decide that a thread asking what the OP should have for lunch is bad, what about the other thread where the OP is asking whether he should get a Wii or a 360? If you decide that getting into an off-topic argument is bad, what happens to the thread where the OP is participating in the off-topic argument? What about the "friendly flaming arena?"

You want insightful debates and good posts? Make 'em. There's obviously still room for that in this board; just take a look at some of the "good" threads. But don't get offended if other people don't want to participate.
Who wants debates to begin with?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Make a blog about how black people are scum of the Earth and deserve to die, see how long that lasts.

*siiiiiigh*
Perhaps I should have worded that better....

I mean, if you're just making a blog about some little thing that happened (like fatmanonice said some people were doing), is it really that bad?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
what about the other thread where the OP is asking whether he should get a Wii or a 360? What about the "friendly flaming arena?"
The Light House. Debating "what to buy" should be done there, and I'm pretty sure there are threads for it. As for the Friendly Flaming Arena, it was meant to keep it contained. Even that got out of hand. Your best option is to go to 4chan.

There's a clear difference between "what it is" and "what it was meant to be." That was my reason for posting this blog in the first place.

If you decide that getting into an off-topic argument is bad, what happens to the thread where the OP is participating in the off-topic argument?
Then the original poster is a moron and everyone should be infracted for perpetuating spam. There are things called "Global Rules," and they're there for a reason.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Perhaps I should have worded that better....

I mean, if you're just making a blog about some little thing that happened (like fatmanonice said some people were doing), is it really that bad?
He posted one very vague line essentially insulting us, I would call it really dumb and stupid, which I guess equals bad.

bobson

Smash Lord
There's a clear difference between "what it is" and "what it was meant to be." That was my reason for posting this blog in the first place.
What was it "meant to be," then? As far as my understanding, it was to be what the users made of it. And this is what we made of it, like it or not.

Then the original poster is a moron and everyone should be infracted for perpetuating spam. There are things called "Global Rules," and they're there for a reason.
Oh, so everyone should be infracted for getting into a debate about social and economic issues in a thread that started with the OP *****ing about his girlfriend?
Rules are twisted very easily. There are plenty of cases in which a thread has gone off-topic for the better.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Yeah I'm sorry for posting "cool story bro" and "this blog is bad and you should feel really bad about it here's why _____" on like every blog here.

It's fun. It's fun to do bad thangs, it's fun to do bad thangs, etc. etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmo0VdPpkDA

But anyways, I'll try to make my posts here less spammy.

I apologize for pretty much all spam here except for the bad language blog, because that was completely necessary in my mind.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235093

There's that thread if you'd like to witness the amazingness of some great spammers and trolls all in one place.

R.I.P. Voom.

Chaco

Never Logs In
What was it "meant to be," then? As far as my understanding, it was to be what the users made of it. And this is what we made of it, like it or not.

Oh, so everyone should be infracted for getting into a debate about social and economic issues in a thread that started with the OP *****ing about his girlfriend?
Rules are twisted very easily. There are plenty of cases in which a thread has gone off-topic for the better.
That can be easily changed mind you. So don't think it can't.

Also, actually the OP kind of is what starts the thread and it should stick to the OP. Running off of topic and making it to where the OPer doesn't even check the thread is just horrible.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
It was meant for people to express themselves, but repetitive topics, trolling, and off-topic posts are still against the rules.

Yes, because the rule still exists. Whether it be a productive off-topic discussion or not, it's still off-topic.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
If only there was a board dedicated to general discussion that frowned upon getting off-topic and having threads full of one-liners and spam. Blogs are supposed to be about reflection/rants and really personal things anyway.

And as for people being spammy or jerks, I mean...this is the internet.
Yeah, you can discourage it to a certain level, but bottom line is some people are always going to be that way. That's not to say it's not worth it trying to discourage it and keep the rooms "clean," just simply that some people just want to be like that and will until they're room banned.
A few people think -these- rules are too strict.

At least this room doesn't have post count.
*shrug*

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Who wants debates to begin with?
*raises hands*

Well, more or less intelligent conversation but if a debate breaks out from it then I'm all for it. One of the biggest things that annoys me about forums is when everyone agrees or disagrees with the OP simply because of their rank/join date/post count. In my eyes, debates show that some thinking is going on that and that people aren't afraid of scorn simply because their opinion differs even if it's only a little bit. In the end, I believe both of these are the signs of a healthy forum.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Some blogs are very deserving of 'cool story bro' or 'This blog is bad'. If you do not believe this, you are a very lame person. Now what happened in other blogs like Serris' is in fact, not surprising. You stated you hate humanity, that's opening the door to SOOOOOOOOOOOO much ****. If you had just posted a blog without making such a statement, I can guarantee faaaaaaaaar less **** would've happened.

(And far less lulz)

bobson

Smash Lord
Also, actually the OP kind of is what starts the thread and it should stick to the OP. Running off of topic and making it to where the OPer doesn't even check the thread is just horrible.
In that particular scenario, the OP was participating in the off-topic debate.

It was meant for people to express themselves, but repetitive topics, trolling, and off-topic posts are still against the rules.
What's repetitive topics? What's trolling? If I start a thread that says "Final Fantasy sucks," am I trolling, despite the fact that I genuinely believe that? Shouldn't I be allowed to express my dislike of Final Fantasy with my blog? What if I string it out to include a bunch of arguments (valid and invalid) as to why Final Fantasy sucks?

Yes, because the rule still exists. Whether it be a productive off-topic discussion or not, it's still off-topic.
Well **** the rule, then. Any rule that prohibits productive discussion is a bad rule.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
If only there was a board dedicated to general discussion that frowned upon getting off-topic and having threads full of one-liners and spam. Blogs are supposed to be about reflection/rants and really personal things anyway.

And as for people being spammy or jerks, I mean...this is the internet.
Yeah, you can discourage it to a certain level, but bottom line is some people are always going to be that way. That's not to say it's not worth it trying to discourage it and keep the rooms "clean," just simply that some people just want to be like that and will until they're room banned.
A few people think -these- rules are too strict.

At least this room doesn't have post count.
*shrug*
This is certainly true. I just find it irritating that it seems like User Blogs is exempt from the rules, especially with the trolls roaming about.

If this room had post count, some people would be up there with you.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
cool story bro
Anyone who replies with this one-liner to a blog REALLY ought to get a 1-week (or longer) ban from the User Blogs.

You clearly have not been here since day one and stuck with it, or you would've known that it temporarily stopped being a spam room. It hasn't ALWAYS been a spam room.

And it isn't "what happens". If people didn't find it amusing to spam and not care for any intelligence on the forum, it wouldn't have to be a spam forum.
Then again, asking for that is like asking for pigs to fly, apparently.

...but who's to say that's a bad thing? Isn't that what blogs are for? If you decide that a thread asking what the OP should have for lunch is bad, what about the other thread where the OP is asking whether he should get a Wii or a 360?
They're both bad because asking what you should have for lunch is inconsequential, and there's a sticky in the Light House for asking for game/console purchasing advice?

When we had rules I don't think it was ruined.

Hell, if you told people to use common sense (although you might need to teach a class in it first since most people lack that) and not post things here that could go in other forums, you'd basically have it all covered pretty nicely.

If they don't want to participate, they shouldn't spam up the thread either. That's Serris's point.

Wait, are there rules as to what your blog can and can't be about?
Barely.

There are certain no-no topics, and certain clearly spam topics, but for the most part you can do anything.

"The Don'ts of Blogging" died long ago.

What's repetitive topics? What's trolling? If I start a thread that says "Final Fantasy sucks," am I trolling, despite the fact that I genuinely believe that? Shouldn't I be allowed to express my dislike of Final Fantasy with my blog? What if I string it out to include a bunch of arguments (valid and invalid) as to why Final Fantasy sucks?
Basically, you just said "If I use this forum as it should legitimately be used with my personal opinions and do something which is not trolling, am I trolling?"

The Urban Dictionary said:
Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet, generally on message boards.
If you're saying it to express the fact that you dislike Final Fantasy, it's not trolling.

Unless you do it specifically because you just want to annoy people, you aren't trolling.

Thank god for no post count, at least.

Blahblahwutever

Smash Journeyman
I ALSO APPOLIGIZE

I hereby declare, on this july 8th of 2009, I will start to try my best to stop doing those things.

sorry.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
I still think that blogs shouldn't be auto-made into threads and put into a forum.
They should just be like every other website where you go to someone's profile and can see their blogs.
Personally I think that's the main problem, but whatevz.

D

Deleted member

Ha! I knew this day would come. I knew eventually with lack of rules and structure, this room would turn into a giant spamfest with a side of flamewar. We need to bring back Firus's "The Dont's of Blogging" and use that as rules. I'm sick of all the stupid, spammy, and misplaced blogs. Guys, if we're gonna save this place, we gotta do something!

finalark

SNORLAX
What's repetitive topics?
Whenever there are multiple topics all about the same exact thing, only worded different.

What's trolling?
The good definition: Trolling is whenever someone comes into a debate and simply forces his opinion on everyone else. Rather than do what a good debater does (give-and-take) he aggressively bashes everyone who even slightly disagrees with him, without even taking their thoughts on the mater into consideration.

The idiot definition: Whenever someone who disagrees with to popular opinion expresses his/her thoughts.

If I start a thread that says "Final Fantasy sucks," am I trolling, despite the fact that I genuinely believe that?
Definition 1: No.

Definition 2: Yes.

Shouldn't I be allowed to express my dislike of Final Fantasy with my blog?
Yes.

What if I string it out to include a bunch of arguments (valid and invalid) as to why Final Fantasy sucks?
Then you have your proof to back up your claims. Although the fanboys will still misinterpret it so that way they can try and bash you more.

Okay, as for the topic itself:

The opening is right. And we seriously need to get Firus' "Dos and Donts of blogging" back up for the sake of having stable guidelines again.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Ha! I knew this day would come. I knew eventually with lack of rules and structure, this room would turn into a giant spamfest with a side of flamewar. We need to bring back Firus's "The Dont's of Blogging" and use that as rules. I'm sick of all the stupid, spammy, and misplaced blogs. Guys, if we're gonna save this place, we gotta do something!
THIS.

There should be a thread and/or social group based around how you could improve User Blogs.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
THIS.

There should be a thread and/or social group based around how you could improve User Blogs.
There is one, but it's invite-only.

Before we even consider new ideas on how to improve this place, we need established rules, and a massive crackdown on all the spam posts.

M.K

Level 55
This all started when Kirby King decided that this room is "free-for-all, post anything, express your own stupid opinion". That invited the spam. This room didn't use to be like this.
"The Don'ts of Blogging" really needs to be brought back.

Also, veteran members, stop acting so god **** childish and immature. You have been here long enough to set an example, and making stupid blogs/immature posts/spam/flaming and trolling posts makes you look even stupider than we all look on a daily basis.
Also, it doesn't help that every locked off-topic thread on every other board is directed to User Blogs!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=240342
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=240109
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238078

Saying that is like saying "User Blogs = Place your crap and bounce"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom