• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda SWF: Project Zelda

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Guys, do you want some concept designs for new or redesigned weapons and such? I don't think anyone's really talked about new items.

Also I noticed that all the countries or sections of Hyrule (eg darunia, hyrule castle, etc...) all have the same icon. I can get some of those running based on previous sages and temple iconography.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Guys, do you want some concept designs for new or redesigned weapons and such? I don't think anyone's really talked about new items.

Also I noticed that all the countries or sections of Hyrule (eg darunia, hyrule castle, etc...) all have the same icon. I can get some of those running based on previous sages and temple iconography.
Should I just delete that map or what? I wrote distinctly that it was from an old project and was not entirely relevant to this. Only one of those cities is official: Hyrule City.

For the record, I'm splitting the other three countries into four main locations each in the OP.

Mewter

Smash Master
Okay, I completed my idea of a new region. Sorry for the paint-like effect it has. I created it completely in GIMP this time, and I guess I kind of like the effect:

The region is a mostly marsh-like region with scattered forests. The farther South you go, the more tropical it is...
The white dots are cities/villages, and I have a version without them.
So, what do you think?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I'm not feeling the thief. Meaning, I don't see any substance in him right now. I'm also not feeling the CEO (which is a stab at myself, because I too had that idea). Power-hungry CEO's are to be expected. Since we're involving three other countries, perhaps we should base a lot of the game around them also (meaning the antagonist), which means that we can cut some areas from Hyrule and focus on areas from these. Hyrule is no longer an isolated country - it has become part of a larger view of the world. Hence, many of the important aspects that have originated from Hyrule in the past now may originate from anywhere.
That sounds cool, I guess. Power-hungry CEO's ARE a little cliched, so that probably wouldn't be the best idea.

Also, what if the Fierce Deity character was explored more in the project? It's a REALLY random thought I just had, I just thought it would be interesting to learn more about him.

EDIT: I like the map, Mewter! :bee:

Spire

III
BRoomer
Okay, I completed my idea of a new region. Sorry for the paint-like effect it has. I created it completely in GIMP this time, and I guess I kind of like the effect:

The region is a mostly marsh-like region with scattered forests. The farther South you go, the more tropical it is...
The white dots are cities/villages, and I have a version without them.
So, what do you think?
This is what I like to see :lick:

Keep in mind, Hyrule is still going to be the largest nation.

Labrynna + Holodrum = size of Hyrule
Cobble = half of Hyrule
5th Country = half of Hyrule

PLEASE READ
For anyone that misread, we are making ONE new country. Not ONE per person, but ONE for this entire project.

Mewter

Smash Master

Cobble = half of Hyrule

PLEASE READ
For anyone that misread, we are making ONE new country. Not ONE per person, but ONE for this entire project.
The only part that really counts is the part within the mountain, on the city side. Oh wait! I'll reupload a version with fog-of-war in order to hide the unnecessary areas.

I can't wait for Zaneeba's map. I bet it's going to be good. :)

toon_marth

Smash Ace

Cobble = half of Hyrule

PLEASE READ
So do we all submit something and then take a vote?

Spire

III
BRoomer
The only part that really counts is the part within the mountain, on the city side. Oh wait! I'll reupload a version with fog-of-war in order to hide the unnecessary areas.

I can't wait for Zaneeba's map. I bet it's going to be good. :)
If you add on a savannah region to your map, then you have both mine, and zaneeba's approval.

As long as we can name it "Oasidjali" (pronounced "wah-see-jah-lee"), an old name by the native witches which means "Deadlands". I'd like this land to be much more primitive than the other four countries. Think Louisiana meets Africa.
Go ahead.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
That sounds like the best way to do it, yeah.

Also...

what if the Fierce Deity character was explored more in the project? It's a REALLY random thought I just had, I just thought it would be interesting to learn more about him.
I know it hasn't been long since I posted the idea, but there have already been a few posts after it, and sometimes my posts have a habit of being buried without having been replied to. :laugh:

Mewter

Smash Master
Okay, I updated the map with a savanna in one of the places farthest from the water and next to the large canyon:

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
alright, bar the occasional touch up as i go on from here, i think he's pretty much done. I might add spikes to his armor, though, that hone in on you when fired.

I'm not particularly attached to this sketch, so if anyone wants to improve something, let me know.

it'll probably be finished finished tomorrow. im kinda beat.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Holy mackerel! I love it SH :) While I can't see myself finishing the room and Link, I may find room in my time to work on the beast if I find anything worth doing (looks complete to me).

It's basically our futuristic equivalent to Volvagia minus the fire affinity. I will update the link in the OP to this sketch.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Here are some poe characters I've drawn. I drew them in photoshop which is ALOT easier to draw in than my other program. I dont know how to color in photoshop though, so I left them uncolored.

This is the Poe trio (Real name pending), three musical poes who travel from graveyard to graveyard entertaining the dead.

The guy who shamefully looks alot like one of the Composer Brothers from OoT is the leader of the Trio. He composes the music, writes the music, and sometimes plays a wonderful lute! The only problem: He is very grumpy most of the time. This puts alot of stress on the other band members.

The little sad one plays the flute. He's very good at it, but for some reason hates playing it. He would gladly leave the trio... if he had anything better to do. But since he doesnt, he stays. Nothing makes him more sad than to see the composer grumpy, which means he's sad most of the time.

The man in the hat with the beard thing is the drummer. He beats that drum like a red-headed stepchild! He's the least emotional poe in the trio... but maybe thats because he's stupid.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
i wouldnt mind seeing poes flying around in black and white just like these drawings. They're awesome. You have quite the knack for expressions. I'm quite jealous : )

Scott!

Smash Lord
That's very cool looking. I haven't followed the whole thread, though I intend to go back and catch up, but it looks to have a twilight-ish feel to it. I like it better without spikes though, I think. Now, time to read up.

Edit: I meant the dragon, but the same goes for the poes. They're very cool too.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
It's a bizarre mix between all the zelda games it seems. The dragon SH made is very TP, while i have been sticking to the OoT roots as close as possible.

Spire: Thank ye kindly, pilgrim! You may need to fix that quote because it messed up a bit.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's just the way I draw I guess. This is the first time ever doing a digital drawing. It's quite... different.

Guys I REALLY want a game where you travel back through all the past zelda games and secretly aid those Links in defeating ganondorf or whoever, and then you find out that you are actually the alternate version of OoT Link who didn't just disappear from the adult timeline, but got moved forward in time and needs to go back because Ganondorf finally kills the Link of future hyrule and that's why your name is really "Link" and "Hero of Time".

I know it will never happen and if it dead it would be quite the cliche cheese ball, but it's nice to dream.

Spire

III
BRoomer
It's a bizarre mix between all the zelda games it seems. The dragon SH made is very TP, while i have been sticking to the OoT roots as close as possible.

Spire: Thank ye kindly, pilgrim! You may need to fix that quote because it messed up a bit.
I feel as if my work best represents the concept art for ALttP and OoT, but the concept art alone, not the content within the games. The drawing for The Errant was inspired entirely by the Zelda Wii concept art.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I think I've read most/all of this, and I don't think anyone else is considering this yet, so I figured I'd mention it and my intentions. I've been pondering possibilities for a future-Labrynna. That almost fascinates me more than future-Hyrule, just because we've seen it in two time periods already, and how it changes and develops. I've got a few ideas that I might flesh out a bit. Looking at Mewter's map, I'm thinking of placing it to the north of that hook-shaped peninsula and the river delta, on another peninsula that juts out, with Crescent Island fitting in there somewhere. It's very open though, because if we're operating out of the child timeline, then according to our timeline, the events of OoA never happened. I'll need to refresh myself on exactly what events happened there, and how Link influenced them. I'm planning on assuming everything before the game happens the same, and it's only when Link doesn't arrive that things diverge there. Any input is of course welcome.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think I've read most/all of this, and I don't think anyone else is considering this yet, so I figured I'd mention it and my intentions. I've been pondering possibilities for a future-Labrynna. That almost fascinates me more than future-Hyrule, just because we've seen it in two time periods already, and how it changes and develops. I've got a few ideas that I might flesh out a bit. Looking at Mewter's map, I'm thinking of placing it to the north of that hook-shaped peninsula and the river delta, on another peninsula that juts out, with Crescent Island fitting in there somewhere. It's very open though, because if we're operating out of the child timeline, then according to our timeline, the events of OoA never happened. I'll need to refresh myself on exactly what events happened there, and how Link influenced them. I'm planning on assuming everything before the game happens the same, and it's only when Link doesn't arrive that things diverge there. Any input is of course welcome.
And the same goes for Holodrum. However, I don't think Onox and Veran would have ever been sent there, because there was no motive to resurrect Ganon. I would love help in these fields, because they are pretty touchy. Glad you're tasking yourself with it.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Good point about Veran (and Onox). So, if Veran never went to Labrynna, then she never possessed Nayru, or Ambi. Where does that leave us? Time to ponder things out.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Regarding the Countries

ATTENTION!

So we don't overload ourselves, let's limit our worldly focus to Hyrule, Labrynna, and Holodrum, ONLY, rather than the extensive Cobble and 5th Country (which as of right now, is the one Mewter designed). Hyrule should still get priority unless you've an excessive knowledge (and new ideas) of/for Labrynna or Holodrum.

Once we make much progress with these three, perhaps we will move on, but it can be very heavy to task ourselves with not just four, but five different worlds.

Thank you.

EDIT: These show potential relations between Holodrum, Labrynna, and Hyrule:

Scott!

Smash Lord
Labrynna

So, here's the beginning of what Labrynna could be. I don't want to discuss how it relates to Hyrule or Holdrum until they're more set in stone. All I know is that the geography of Labrynna requires southern ocean access. With that said, here I go.

Labrynna: A small, peaceful, coastal nation. It has three major cities, Lynna City, the capital, Symmetry City, and Talusia. Zora Village, while a large center for the Zora, is not bound to Labrynna in any sense, but rather is independent. The same goes for the Gorons of the Rolling Ridge Mountains.

Due to its isolated location trapped between the ocean, the Talus Peaks, and the Rolling Ridge Mountains, Labrynna hasn't had to worry much about the danger of invasion. Thus, it became a very strongly independent nation, but also an open-minded one where thought flourished.

This isolation also insulated Labrynna from the technological rise of Hyrule, to some extent, and thus from the subsequent collapse. While it has seen better days, Labrynna shows far fewer signs of hardship due to never having relied as much as Hyrule on technology.

Lynna City
: The largest city in Labrynna, Lynna City began to boom once its sailors learned how to navigate the perilous Sea of Storms and the Zora Seas. It opened up nautical trade lines with its neighbors in Hyrule, Holodrum, Cobble?, and 5th-land-ia?, and really began to thrive. Its skyline is dominated by its iconic landmark, Ambi Tower. The residents of Lynna City are so fond of their tower that they passed a law prohibiting the construction of buildings taller than it.[1]

The city is fairly progressive in its attitude. It is home to the prestigious Lynna University, which attracted many foreign students back in the high times of Hyrule. Now, it is somewhat diminished in size, but not in prestige. It still attracts the brightest students in the nation.

Ambi Tower: The people of Labrynna have a legend on the origins of their beloved tower. Back in the height of the old monarchy, Labrynna's Queen Ambi lost her lover to wanderlust, and he sailed away from Labrynna. Heartbroken, she wished to build a tower to guide him back. Thus, the idea of Ambi Tower was born. She had it constructed on the coast right next to Lynna Village.

Construction on the massive black structure continued without any sign of stopping for over a year until Ambi died of a broken heart. Once things were settled after her death, the people decided to finish the tower as a memorial to their late queen. They named it Ambi Tower, and turned it into a huge lighthouse in the spirit of the queen's wish for it to guide her lover at sea.

The tower has stood tall since its completion, though only thanks to multiple massive refurbishment projects throughout the centuries. All through this time, it has served as a lighthouse, guiding ships in to the ports of Lynna City.

Queen Ambi: The most famous ruler of Labrynna during the monarchy, Ambi is seen as very eccentric. She is often used as a reference when talking about young love, especially for girls, due to her most lasting contribution, Ambi Tower. When she died, there were no heirs, for she had never married or had children. The nation was thrown into chaos, but her advisers were wise. They put into place an elected body to take the place of the queen, and made sure they were all well-situated to be elected. While it has grown and evolved, that body still is a big part of the government in Labrynna today, and makes all of the laws for the nation.

Symmetry City: Labrynna's smallest major metropolis is the very unique Symmetry City. Since its creation, the city has been based on the idea of perfect symmetry along an imaginary line from north to south. Ever since then, it's been built up exactly symmetrically along this line. The city is located on a plateau at the foot of the Talus Peaks.

The town continued to grow steadily for centuries after its founding, but eventually, a snag was hit. The city is centered on a plateau, but to the west are mountains, and to the east is a river. Eventually, they ran out of room and could not expand any further without violating their core principle. They came up with a plan that would shock the residents, but they had a vote, and although it was split right down the middle, 50:50, the leaders decided to try it. The Nuun Highlands, east of the river, were situated at just the right elevation and distance so that, if the line of symmetry were moved to be in the river, they could build a perfectly symmetric mirror image of Symmetry City in the highlands to double the size of the city. Plus, the name Nuun was symmetric. But when they began construction, they happened upon something which I'll give its own section next that stopped the construction before it got going. Symmetry City is currently unable to expand until they are able to figure a new plan out.

Due to its strict insistence on conforming to its laws, Symmetry City is a very conservatively-minded place. Change is not popular, because of the difficulty in maintaining symmetry. Conformity is the highest virtue, after being born completely symmetrical.

Lynna Palace Dig Site: When digging began for the new site of what would become half of Symmetry City, they uncovered ruins buried in the Nuun Highlands. Construction stopped before it started, and Lynna University's Archeology Department was given the task of excavating and identifying the ruins. They determined that the ruins were the ancient site of the royal palace, the ancient seat of the Labrynnan monarchy through the reign of the last Queen, Ambi. The discovery shocked the nation. Old records were found that filled in many of the gaps in Labrynnan history not covered in the tomes in the Eyeglass Library. It's considered one of the most pivotal moments in modern Labrynnan history. Today, parts of the excavated ruins are open to the public, while some deeper parts still wait to be reopened.

Rolling Ridge Mountains and base: A large population of Gorons still reside deep within the mountains. They keep to themselves very well, and haven't had any formal contact with Labrynna in centuries, though every once in a while, a Goron will come down to sell Bomb Flowers. However, there are a few towns of Labrynnans, including Yoll and Ralfston, located in the base region, at the very edge of Labrynnan territory. Border disputes between the advancing people and the Gorons are not uncommon.

Yoll Wastelands: Due to water levels rising over the past few centuries, what was once a deathly graveyard filled with water. Now, the whole area is filled with two feet of muddy water, and is completely overgrown and wild. Few have attempted to explore it, fewer have returned, and of those who have, none have spoken of the horrors. Speculation on what lies within is the source of an unending stream of myths and urban legends. But the horrors are at least partially true, because when the water levels rise, some things have trouble staying buried.[2]

Crescent Island: Due to the rising water levels, the island has regained its iconic shape. The Tokay colony there is thought to be extinct, but the island is completely overgrown, and it isn't a common destination these days. Due to the ocean patterns along the coastlines of Labrynna and Crescent Island, it is almost impossible for a ship to get there safely. Today, the island is a mystery.

Talusia: This city was founded about 700 years before the current time, at the southern end of the Talus Peaks range. The region is just north of the ancient forest between the mountains and the coastline, and is a series of steppes. The city is built on a few of the steppes. It is at a higher elevation than the forest below, and so it has a clear view of the distant ocean beyond. The massive brown stone buildings built on the levels all face towards the ocean, and each is a magnificent work of art and architecture. It is said that to see the city in the evening, lit by the orange setting sun to the west, is one of the most beautiful sights in not just Labrynna, but the whole world.[3]

Footnotes:
1. I'm inspired by cities like Washington DC and Paris, which both have similar laws in place concerning the Washington Monument and La Tour Eiffel.

2. Yeah, I'm imagining a swamp filled with bodies. Nasty, eh?

3. This time, my inspiration was a combination of a few things. The scale of Minas Tirith (ok, maybe not quite). The style of the ruins of Petra. I first thought of Pueblo Indians as well too. I love this place.

Notes:
The map of Labrynna in OoA is far too small to be workable as a real nation, so I'm imagining it to be a good bit larger. I'm not much of an artist, but I might try to whip something rough up in Paint tomorrow to express my thoughts better. Hope you all liked what I've done so far. Ive got some more, but it's late/early, and I'd like to give it more thought. Woo.

Also, I assumed that the events of OoA would not happen, but that it would get to the OoA-past set-up the same, because Hyrule is probably not a big player to it yet. I also assumed things would develop similarly to OoA-present at the end of the game, when Veran's actions have been undone, with differences of course, and then continue on.

Mewter

Smash Master
alright, bar the occasional touch up as i go on from here, i think he's pretty much done. I might add spikes to his armor, though, that hone in on you when fired.
I'm not particularly attached to this sketch, so if anyone wants to improve something, let me know.
it'll probably be finished finished tomorrow. im kinda beat.
Nice, SH! Hmm, I think Link should be in the process of raising his shield, but that's just me. Also, if that dragon happens to be an electricity user, then maybe there should be rolling storm clouds behind it? :ohwell:
*Big Drawing with large text body of text*
Cool. It adds some personality to the poes. :laugh:
@Spire and Scott!, cool ideas. :)

toon_marth

Smash Ace
Very, very nice, Scott. I'm very interested in Talusia.

Spire, I believe you received a visitor profile message from Darkslash about Mechas? I actually thought that's good idea. Like, say, these mechas, or giant robot mechs (let's just called them RTs for Robotic Transports) were used a long time ago for things in Labrynna such as mass transportation, and even on the battlefield. These could have been created by a now nearly extinct advanced nation, who also built Talusia, making Labyrnna a threat to Hyrule and Holodrum. A crew of scientists was then hired to design Hyrules very own RT units. After Hyrule's RTs were nearing completion, several thieves from Holodrum stole the blueprints and hastily built RTs for themselves. This resulted in a war that consisted of only one month long battle between Hyrule's incomplete mechs, and Holodrum's makeshift mechs. Many people lost their lives in this battle, which actually took place in Labrynna, in the Yoll Plains (what is now the Yoll wasteland), with only 3 strong RTs sent from Talusia to break up this fight and send it out of Labrynna's borders. Finally, at the end of the month of October (not sure of the Zelda world's calendar quite yet) the three RTs, the Cloud Dancer, the Wanderer, and the Sentinel were successful in ending the one month battle between Hyrule and Holodrum. Many casualties came of that battle, and because of it ties between Holodrum and Hyrule have been rather loose, with each nation keeping close watch over each other. What happened to all Hyrules and Holodrum's mechs, nobody knows. There have only been slight traces of them under water off the coast of Hyrule, indicating that they may have been tossed aside into the ocean like some failed experiment. But, what happened to the three most well built RTs is known to an extent. The Cloud Dancer was destroyed, but the cause is unknown. The Sentinel stays behind and eternally fulfills its self-appointed duty of watching over the Yoll Wasteland (said to be watching over the bodies of the fallen). And where the Wanderer went is still a mystery. Many people claim that he is still wandering the continent of the three nations, claiming on several occasions that they have even seen him with their own two eyes, but nothing has been verified. Ever since, even so much as talking about the RTs has been frowned upon throughout the continent.

This is the history responsible for the destruction of parts of central and eastern Labrynna, and would explain whos bodies are buried in the Yoll Wasteland.

So, what do you think? Maybe we can use it? Feel free to point out any flaws or contradictions, and tell me if the whole conglomeration is to huge of a block to read at once, and I'll make them into paragraphs.

edit: this also means the Sentinel could be the boss of the Yoll Wastelands, and Link could even have an encounter with the feeble Wanderer mech. These mechs were built during the technological uprising of the world, and only 2 of the original 3 legendary mechs survived the downfall. Sorry for the confusion, Scott.

Scott!

Smash Lord
toon_marth: I'm a little confused by some of what you said. I was under the impression that the setting was something like ~2,000 years after OoT, after a technological rise and fall of the world. Also, in the child timeline, ~1,900 years after TP. But you reference the project coming before Minish Cap in your edit while describing a robot war, so I'm a bit confused.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
While this was never a full scale war, I thought it would be fun to incorporate in to use as an excuse for the destruction of parts of Labrynna, but then again I guess that doesn't make any sense. I just woke up when I posted that.... I'll rethink it. Check back for an edit.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Firstly Scott - WOW! This is beyond impressive. I will update the OP with this information immediately.

@ toon_marth - Yeah, I said that we might be able to have a handful of mechs from years and years before (that's at least 100, potentially going upwards of 300). These would be rusty, old relics. The world is not trying to advance technologically. Don't you think that if Hyrule - the leading nation - collapsed because of technological reign, that its subordinate nations would not follow in its footsteps?

Also, this being based before OoT is not official. That's simply Werekill's idea.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
Firstly Scott - WOW! This is beyond impressive. I will update the OP with this information immediately.

@ toon_marth - Yeah, I said that we might be able to have a handful of mechs from years and years before (that's at least 100, potentially going upwards of 300). These would be rusty, old relics. The world is not trying to advance technologically. Don't you think that if Hyrule - the leading nation - collapsed because of technological reign, that its subordinate nations would not follow in its footsteps?

Also, this being based before OoT is not official. That's simply Werekill's idea.
Edited for coherence, lol. And I thought that everyone was trying to advance technologically, which ultimately led to the downfall of the world, ending in destruction. These mechs were to be desired by the rest of the world, when Labrynnians built them, not the Hylians. I just wanted to add mechs (and yes, at the point where our story takes place they are old, moldy, and rusty relics) to use for the explanation of the destruction of these parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom