• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda SWF: Project Zelda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewter

Smash Master
There should be some nations, though, that have not collapsed at all because of technology, but actually flourished and avoided destruction?

There has to be at least some places like that, right?

toon_marth

Smash Ace
There should be some nations, though, that have not collapsed at all because of technology, but actually flourished and avoided destruction?

Well, how about this. Let's say, the Labrynnians who built Talusia left the main continent and founded a place called Tallus Isle, a sprawling metropolis in all its glory. It's about 280 km wide, and 201 km long, and shaped like a deformed plus sign. At the very beginning of the technological downfall of the world, a profit foretold that the world would lay in ruins in a matter of a few centuries, so they left to form this small nation. It's inhabitants and scornful towards outsiders for polluting the world till its destruction, and they welcome Link, for his claims of being able to save the world from this dark hour. This place acts as a safe haven from the filthy ruined world outside.

Eh? Eh? Any takers? Or did someone already have a safe haven-like place made?

XACE-K

Smash Master

I thought all the other regions besides Hyrule would be like this. But I could see the connections between places that Spire created be affected and not the whole place.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
Or to be more likely, small groups of people who thrived by not using technology. Nations tend to head towards the sam direction as other nations, but small groups of people or towns can tend to stray away from what everybody else is doing. Take the Amish for instance! Though everyone else in the entire world goes deeper into technologies, they stay the same way they have been for hundreds of years.

There should be people around that still uphold the old laws of the world. Like witches.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Or to be more likely, small groups of people who thrived by not using technology. Nations tend to head towards the sam direction as other nations, but small groups of people or towns can tend to stray away from what everybody else is doing. Take the Amish for instance! Though everyone else in the entire world goes deeper into technologies, they stay the same way they have been for hundreds of years.

There should be people around that still uphold the old laws of the world. Like witches.
That makes sense.

*still working on my idea so it can wow everyone into silence*

Spire

III
BRoomer

Labrynna and Holodrum will not have collapsed. Link must travel to these lands to reestablish connections between the countries so that they can help Hyrule out -- or something of that like.
Well, how about this. Let's say, the Labrynnians who built Talusia left the main continent and founded a place called Tallus Isle, a sprawling metropolis in all its glory. It's about 280 km wide, and 201 km long, and shaped like a deformed plus sign. At the very beginning of the technological downfall of the world, a profit foretold that the world would lay in ruins in a matter of a few centuries, so they left to form this small nation. It's inhabitants and scornful towards outsiders for polluting the world till its destruction, and they welcome Link, for his claims of being able to save the world from this dark hour. This place acts as a safe haven from the filthy ruined world outside.

Eh? Eh? Any takers? Or did someone already have a safe haven-like place made?
Do you realize how enormous 280 km x 201 km is? Also, a plus-sign shaped landmass? I thought Dee Ess island was bad enough.

This idea is inherently pointless because the Labrynnians are at peace. They would not need to form a new country. Scott's post about Labrynna should be taken as "project canon". It's absolutely flawless.

Definitely. The Gorons and Zora of Labrynna, for instance.
That makes sense.

*still working on my idea so it can wow everyone into silence*
Don't expect it to completely change the project though. We've come a long way, and unless it really does change our minds indefinitely, consider its fate to name it as a "very inspirational source of ideas", which could in the long run, be even more beneficial. Still looking forward to reading it though.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Yeah Spire, I never meant for it to change it all completely. In fact, I would rather have it as something SEPARATE from the 'future' zelda.

It would give everyone a lot more freedom in making this stuff.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
God, this thread is like heaven coming down to earth for me. I'm definitely gonna try to come up with some ideas for this.

What I do want to know though is how much exactly we wanna dive into the future. I really like this idea of Zelda with modern stuff (like the reactor in the Deku Tree, the alien invasion etcetera) but I think we should keep the core of this world that we are creating connected with the old traditional Zelda. Like giving some of the traditional items a little technological upgrade, but still letting them keep their roots as 'old' items. Just wanna know for sure that's what you guys are trying to do here.

EDIT: Also, if this has already been said, please put this somewhere in the OP. I haven't read the whole thread yet so it might be that I've missed it, but I think most people that wanna join this discussion start off by reading the OP and immediatly coming up with ideas. So maybe it's better to point this stuff out up front to avoid confusioning ideas.

Spire

III
BRoomer
God, this thread is like heaven coming down to earth for me. I'm definitely gonna try to come up with some ideas for this.

What I do want to know though is how much exactly we wanna dive into the future. I really like this idea of Zelda with modern stuff (like the reactor in the Deku Tree, the alien invasion etcetera) but I think we should keep the core of this world that we are creating connected with the old traditional Zelda. Like giving some of the traditional items a little technological upgrade, but still letting them keep their roots as 'old' items. Just wanna know for sure that's what you guys are trying to do here.

EDIT: Also, if this has already been said, please put this somewhere in the OP. I haven't read the whole thread yet so it might be that I've missed it, but I think most people that wanna join this discussion start off by reading the OP and immediatly coming up with ideas. So maybe it's better to point this stuff out up front to avoid confusioning ideas.
Welcome! Yeah, you have quite a bit to catch up on. No aliens-from-space invasion type stuff. This is based in the future, but after the technological collapse of Hyrule. It's trying to restore itself to the good ol' days. I'll post a great synopsis of this project's direction in the OP like you've suggested. I've been meaning to do that for a while, but now that it's being addressed, I definitely will get to it.

As a matter of fact, why stop this project after we've finished one game? :laugh:
Who ever said we'd stop after one project? The aim for this is to ultimately compile an encyclopedia of sorts to organize and connect all of the information, artwork, written works, and hopefully music, once all is completed. From there, we can move on to a new project.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Allright, so here are my thoughts that I came up with while reading through this thread for the first time. I'm not gonna quote every single thing that drew my attention, I'll just share my thoughts about some of the concepts:

Snowpeak
I really support a return of this place. However, with all the heating and stuff, I guess we can no longer call this Snowpeak. Imo, it wouldn't be very realistic for a snowmountain like this to exist when Lake Hylia completely dried up. So yeah, the name Snowpeak probally doesn't apply to this place anymore. This does give some problems with coming up with concepts for this place though, I fear it's gonna look too much like Death Mountain. I'm not sure what else to do with it, maybe we can say that the climate is just totally busted up and that all the warm places got hotter while the cold places got colder. But this is kinda ruled out because the idea of Hylia Canyon is so awesome... This one is a though job.

Cave
I looked at your deviantART account, Spire, and found this image you had drawn:

I think I speak for a lot of people if I say we can do something with a place like this. This image reminds me of a deep underground cave with stalagmites and stuf. There's clean water (which I guess is kinda rare considering all the pollution and stuff) so it's an important place. Maybe we could drop down a settlement here? People that fled in search of water came to this place? Or should we just let this be a part of Zora's Domain?
I dunno but as soon as I saw it, I just had a feeling we gotta use this image for something.

The 5th country
About creating this world, I don't know. It's gonna be though to create a brand new area like this. I think it's our main goal to focus on the countries that we already know 100%, like Spire already said. If we get these done, we should really think hard about how we are gonna handle something like that. There's a huge difference between throwing ideas in on existing concepts and creating something entirely from scratch. But oh well, this will be for later.

Labrynna
Scott deserves a Scotch On Rocks for his idea. OoA was the first Zelda game I completed from start to finish and this is exactly how I would like to see it in something fan-made like this.

Technology
So we all agree on that Hyrule is the only country that had some small issues with technology, resulting in a destroyed forest, a corrupted capital, a polluted watersource and a terribly hot climate? Because if we do, this gives me a huge amount of inspiration. Hyrule, once the most glorious place in the world, has fallen. It's no longer the leading country because of all the stuff that happened. So, in that case, the other countries are way more advanced. I highly doubt they wanna help Hyrule out that easily: if they were so awesomeimage.jpg all those years ago, then why can't they help themselves right now? I'm guessing that trying to get support from the other countries is gonna be the thoughest job in this story.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Allright, so here are my thoughts that I came up with while reading through this thread for the first time. I'm not gonna quote every single thing that drew my attention, I'll just share my thoughts about some of the concepts:

Snowpeak
I really support a return of this place. However, with all the heating and stuff, I guess we can no longer call this Snowpeak. Imo, it wouldn't be very realistic for a snowmountain like this to exist when Lake Hylia completely dried up. So yeah, the name Snowpeak probally doesn't apply to this place anymore. This does give some problems with coming up with concepts for this place though, I fear it's gonna look too much like Death Mountain. I'm not sure what else to do with it, maybe we can say that the climate is just totally busted up and that all the warm places got hotter while the cold places got colder. But this is kinda ruled out because the idea of Hylia Canyon is so awesome... This one is a though job.

Cave
I looked at your deviantART account, Spire, and found this image you had drawn:

- My painting "Cave" -

I think I speak for a lot of people if I say we can do something with a place like this. This image reminds me of a deep underground cave with stalagmites and stuf. There's clean water (which I guess is kinda rare considering all the pollution and stuff) so it's an important place. Maybe we could drop down a settlement here? People that fled in search of water came to this place? Or should we just let this be a part of Zora's Domain?
I dunno but as soon as I saw it, I just had a feeling we gotta use this image for something.

The 5th country
About creating this world, I don't know. It's gonna be though to create a brand new area like this. I think it's our main goal to focus on the countries that we already know 100%, like Spire already said. If we get these done, we should really think hard about how we are gonna handle something like that. There's a huge difference between throwing ideas in on existing concepts and creating something entirely from scratch. But oh well, this will be for later.

Labrynna
Scott deserves a Scotch On Rocks for his idea. OoA was the first Zelda game I completed from start to finish and this is exactly how I would like to see it in something fan-made like this.

Technology
So we all agree on that Hyrule is the only country that had some small issues with technology, resulting in a destroyed forest, a corrupted capital, a polluted watersource and a terribly hot climate? Because if we do, this gives me a huge amount of inspiration. Hyrule, once the most glorious place in the world, has fallen. It's no longer the leading country because of all the stuff that happened. So, in that case, the other countries are way more advanced. I highly doubt they wanna help Hyrule out that easily: if they were so awesomeimage.jpg all those years ago, then why can't they help themselves right now? I'm guessing that trying to get support from the other countries is gonna be the thoughest job in this story.
I'm honored that you chose my painting as a source of inspiration. It's about a year and a half old now, but the fact that you find it pertinent to this project brings a great deal of admiration for you. I'll respond individually to your bolded points:

Snowpeak
We shouldn't go with the obvious and melt the snow here entirely. But, perhaps enough can melt to reveal sprawling ancient ruins, built into the mountains by a civilization that felt it necessary to keep warm as the mountain began to go through a secluded ice-age thousands of years before.

Cave
I haven't gone into depth about it, but I've had in mind for a very long time of a "Hyrule Undergound"; a large cavernous system beneath Hyrule that the Gorons and Zoras have helped dig and run canals through to irrigate the land from beneath, and serve as another transportation system. Heavily influenced by the underground Zora's River in Twilight Princess, and the mines built into the sides of the cave walls.

The 5th country
Agreed. We need not approach this for a long time, if ever.

Labrynna
Scott wrecked Nintendo with this. Everything he wrote is sacred writing.

Technology
And yes, we're on the same page. Hyrule has now fallen behind the other countries.

Mewter

Smash Master
What I mean to say about a country prospering instead of dying is that the country actually seems to take a lead in economics and technology, and they have instead taken the route of clean fuel and not ruined their land. Now, seeing Hyrule down on its knees, it sees fit to try to take advantage of it?

Cave
I haven't gone into depth about it, but I've had in mind for a very long time of a "Hyrule Undergound"; a large cavernous system beneath Hyrule that the Gorons and Zoras have helped dig and run canals through to irrigate the land from beneath, and serve as another transportation system. Heavily influenced by the underground Zora's River in Twilight Princess, and the mines built into the sides of the cave walls.
Maybe the underground "cave" could partly be a subway system built earlier in the era as a subway system? It could be a dungeon in itself!

Spire

III
BRoomer
Maybe the underground "cave" could partly be a subway system built earlier in the era as a subway system? It could be a dungeon in itself!
Yes, great idea. As long as there are other caverns - like the ones I described - attached.

Mewter

Smash Master
Yes, great idea. As long as there are other caverns - like the ones I described - attached.
K, cool. I just realized I said "subway system built in an earlier area as a subway system." :laugh:
Woops.

Do you think that this underground area could also be one of the only ways to get to some areas in Hyrule, since they might have somehow been blocked off above-ground, or is that too much?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Hi guys, alright the serpent thing is finished.

I left it a little loose since I wanna get started on some other things, but hopefully the gist is there

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Cave
Haha, it's kind of funny that you mention Hyrule Underground: I saw it at the OP and I was thinking of labelling this idea like that, but I hadn't seen any information about it in the topic so I thought you had your own idea about what to do with it. But apparently, you do think of it in the same way I do.

It does bring a lot of great ideas: you could suggest that life in the underground is way better than at the surface (again, this is sounding more and more like Fallout 3 (but I freaking love the concept of that game so who gives a thingy)) and that people try to avoid the surface as much as possible. Instead, they use caves and underground tunnels as their new homes.
This all connects well with the Gorons and Zoras: Gorons always live in caves and tunnels and Zora's prefer places with bodies of water, which you also find underground.

However, making it like some kind of 'transportation road' to the key locations of the world, it has to be almost as big as Hyrule itself. And well, how fun can you make the underground really? I mean, at the surface you have all the fun with the different locations like forests, deserts and stuff like that, but in the underground it's not so easy to apply landscapes like this, or is it?
Hi guys, alright the serpent thing is finished.
Ho
ly
Jesus
I'm kissing your feet at this very moment.

Mewter

Smash Master
It's great, SinkingHigher!
Sorry for the one-liner. I had to say something about the drawing!

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Cool : )

Are those textures on the rocks to the right in the foreground? I want to start implementing brushes and textures, Ashley Wood style.

It seems somehow... familiar. Did you draw it from a reference photo?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
The artwork is great, Sinking & Spire. :)

Also, even though we've sort of moved past that discussion, I thought that the Hiko Boots could be the item of choice for Hylia Canyon/Jungle Temple, and you have to use them to get around some areas in it, as well as use it to escape the canyon after exiting the temple, and use it for a few easter eggs as well (i.e. on top of house roofs to get Heart Pieces, etc.)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Cool : )

Are those textures on the rocks to the right in the foreground? I want to start implementing brushes and textures, Ashley Wood style.

It seems somehow... familiar. Did you draw it from a reference photo?
Yes those dark rocks in the foreground are... in the foreground.

And no, I never use reference photos. Drawing and painting is an exercise that I like to practice drawing correct perspective, lighting, etc, entirely from memory. I make a lot of goofups, but every now and then I get something that I feel worthwhile.
The artwork is great, Sinking & Spire. :)

Also, even though we've sort of moved past that discussion, I thought that the Hiko Boots could be the item of choice for Hylia Canyon/Jungle Temple, and you have to use them to get around some areas in it, as well as use it to escape the canyon after exiting the temple, and use it for a few easter eggs as well (i.e. on top of house roofs to get Heart Pieces, etc.)
Not a bad idea. Someone cook up some artwork and a proper description for the Hiko Boots so I can add it to the OP.

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
Hiko-Boots. Along trek around a pit can be avoided with these! Gain enough speed and press *insert button here* to fly for a limited amount of time.

Spire

III
BRoomer
LOL

wow I screwed up that post.

I meant did you use photoshop textures on the rocks in the foreground.
I just drew 'em in photoshop like I do everything. No pre-rendered textures or anything. If you mean the photoshop brushes, yes, but that's entirely drawn.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Hey, should Link control a musical instrument/device this time around, or is that too played (I'm referring to a completely new item, not something like the Ocarina of Time)?

XACE-K

Smash Master
Hey, should Link control a musical instrument/device this time around, or is that too played (I'm referring to a completely new item, not something like the Ocarina of Time)?
Agreed. Let's give Link a banjo.

Srsly. Let's give him a banjo. The Errant can keep the Ocarina.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
When I saw that awesome drawing of Selepria, it reminded me of Dragon Roost Island. The next thing that popped up in my head was:
Giant
Enemy
Crabs

Callifos (the Latin name for crab is Callinectes sapidus):
These giant, mutated crabs live on the beach and in the waters of Selepria. The pollution of their habitat changed their appearance drasticly. They took the size of a cow and their exoskeleton grew out of control, turning their once so smooth shells into a spicky body which conveniently enough became twice as thick. Their claws underwent some changes as well: male Callifos obtained huge claws that can break steel swords with a single snap. Female Callifos obtained a totally different honor: in stead of a pair of working claws, their pincers grew together, creating huge hammer-like arms. They use it to smash their prey, easily cracking whatever protection their body has. Both male and female Callifos will walk sideways towards their opponent, then try to snap or smash their prey.
But like all creatures, Callifos have a weak point as well. Their growth spurt increased their size so rapidly that a small part at the back of their shell couldn't keep up. The result is a small spot of their soft meat without any protection, waiting to be attacked. The trick is to get to this weak point: even though they always walk sideways, Callifos can turn 180 degrees in no time. Running around them won't help you: your best bet is to daze them with something like bombs or a heavy smash on their shell. While they are knocked out, walk around them and attack their weak point for massive damage.

Any ideas to improve them?

Spire

III
BRoomer
No way. The Ocarina is going to play a part in the story as it is, so we don't need another.

Although, we could have some type of instrument shop in Zora's Domain (remember, it's become the new Hyrule hub, so there are bound to be tons of merchants) that sells instruments LIKE the Ocarina of Time, just as a little easter egg-ish appearance. For instance, it could a strange green trombone that it calls the "Horn of Tremors", but it has no real power whatsoever. Just a gimmick shop.

EDIT: We could always give the ability to buy instruments to play just for fun.

@ Kujirodo - hell yes to the Callifos. Will add to the OP right now. You do realize that they too, are quite the Fallout 3 reference, yes? **** Mirelurks..

I'm going to have a ton of fun designing them [to look different than Mirelurks].

Clownbot

Smash Lord
No way. The Ocarina is going to play a part in the story as it is, so we don't need another.

Although, we could have some type of instrument shop in Zora's Domain (remember, it's become the new Hyrule hub, so there are bound to be tons of merchants) that sells instruments LIKE the Ocarina of Time, just as a little easter egg-ish appearance. For instance, it could a strange green trombone that it calls the "Horn of Tremors", but it has no real power whatsoever. Just a gimmick shop.

Sounds good, I guess.

If Link is going to get the Ocarina at some point, the Poe music trio needs to teach him a song. I'll figure what it can do out later, or one of you guys can do that.

Also, welcome to the project, Vorguen! Always great to see new people around :D

XACE-K

Smash Master
Agreed. All the instruments you could play in MM besides the Ocarina should be some.

Edit: Spire, I just realized that how can the Cobble Kingdom be apart of this? Not only does it take place in the child timeline, but the kingdom died with only monsters and ghosts remaining. Or for the project we're just gonna say people traveled to it, it got rebuilt, etc.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Sounds good, I guess.

If Link is going to get the Ocarina at some point, the Poe music trio needs to teach him a song. I'll figure what it can do out later, or one of you guys can do that.

Also, welcome to the project, Vorguen! Always great to see new people around :D
Great idea with the Poe music trio!
Agreed. All the instruments you could play in MM besides the Ocarina should be some.

Edit: Spire, I just realized that how can the Cobble Kingdom be apart of this? Not only does it take place in the child timeline, but the kingdom died with only monsters and ghosts remaining. Or for the project we're just gonna say people traveled to it, it got rebuilt, etc.
Cobble isn't part of this right now. Check the OP for updates to what's canon and what's not. I've blacked out Cobble and 5th Country so they won't be talked about, but they keep getting brought up, so I'll remove them entirely. It'll save space at least ;)

XACE-K

Smash Master
Maybe you could make money on the streets by playing some of the instruments. :laugh:
lol, I just got an idea for a psuedo-quest. Or side misssion. Or whatever you wanna call it.

Street Music Battle
In Zora's Domain, you see a Zora on the street playing. This Zora's ancestor is Mikau from MM. If you buy the Fishbone Guitar replica in the store and show it to him, he'll challenge you to a guitar battle. Just repeat whatever notes he plays (there'll be 4 or 5 rounds). Do it successfully and he'll reward you with a Heart Peice. You can do this again if you want, but you'll only be rewarded with 10 rupees.

Edit: Oh, okay Spire.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
@ Kujirodo - hell yes to the Callifos. Will add to the OP right now. You do realize that they too, are quite the Fallout 3 reference, yes? **** Mirelurks..

I'm going to have a ton of fun designing them [to look different than Mirelurks].
Oh god, I didn't think about that at all. Hahaha, well, Mirelurks walk on two-legs and their weakness is their face, not their @$$.

XACE-K said:
Also, what about the Harp Of Ages?

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
Question: How do the Gerudos fit into this world?

Do they still reside within Glass Desert, and co-exist with the Gorons? Have they been integrated into Hyrulian culture? Or have they simply died off?

I have a feeling that the games in the child timeline might have the answer to my question, as I'm least familiar with those. I'm sorry if I've asked something that could be answered with common sense.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Here are some poe characters I've drawn. I drew them in photoshop which is ALOT easier to draw in than my other program. I dont know how to color in photoshop though, so I left them uncolored.

This is the Poe trio (Real name pending), three musical poes who travel from graveyard to graveyard entertaining the dead.

The guy who shamefully looks alot like one of the Composer Brothers from OoT is the leader of the Trio. He composes the music, writes the music, and sometimes plays a wonderful lute! The only problem: He is very grumpy most of the time. This puts alot of stress on the other band members.

The little sad one plays the flute. He's very good at it, but for some reason hates playing it. He would gladly leave the trio... if he had anything better to do. But since he doesnt, he stays. Nothing makes him more sad than to see the composer grumpy, which means he's sad most of the time.

The man in the hat with the beard thing is the drummer. He beats that drum like a red-headed stepchild! He's the least emotional poe in the trio... but maybe thats because he's stupid.
Okay, let me paint a little picture for everyone here.

Link walks into a graveyard. Pending on what day it is, the Poe Music Trio can be in a different certain graveyard in one of the countries.

Anyway, when Link draws closer to the Trio, he actually battles them first, not realizing that they don't mean harm. After he hits them a certain amount of times, they explain themselves.

"Stop! Stop!", the trio's leader says. "What is the meaning of this?"

"We--we're only playing our music! Please don't harm us!", the small, sad Poe whimpers.

"...Huh?", the less intelligent Poe says with a blank expression.

Link realizes that the Poes mean no harm. He walks away from the graveyard slowly...

...But the Poes aren't going to let him go that easily! The leader appears from the ground in front of Link and grumpily fumes, "Hold on right there! You don't expect us to just let you leave without recompense for our suffering! Brother!", he calls to the sad Poe.

"Duh?", the least emotional of the bunch calls.

"Not you, simpleton! The
other!"

"Hmmm?", the sad one asks.

"Teach this boy the song of the mourners!"

The sad, short Poe scurries (?) over to where the others are, taking out a flute. Link draws his Ocarina. The Poe plays a set of notes
(I don't have the notes, guys, the only details I have are that the song sounds sad :laugh:)
, which Link must mirror on his Ocarina.

"You learned the Song of Mourning!", a text box says.

"Now..." the grumpy Poe starts, "Whenever you see a mourner in any of the graveyards, we need you to play this for them. Return to us whenver you get the chance."

So, this would be kind of a sidequest. You play the song for mourners, tell the Poes, and after having played it for every possible person, they give you a special award (what it is, I'm not sure yet :laugh:).

How's that sound?

How does this work for a sidequest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom