• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TMNT: Smash Up. A fighter by Brawl developers

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
it's more in between at most, but it's more emphasis on up close fighting, no camping whatsoever (projectiles w/e).
But with the floatyness of the characters in general, I bet projectiles might not be much of an issue anyway. I've seen some aerial attacks involving quick get-back-downs, so you could float over the projectile and quickly punish the spammer.

The thing I like most about the game, is that they're focusing on making every single character original.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Gotta say, a technodrome level sounds awsome...

I wonder if Bebop and Rocksteady still have a chance...

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
Oh man, oh man! I cannot wait for this game. My guess on the remaining 7 characters:

1. Leatherhead
2. Bebop
3. Rocksteady
4. Hun
5. Baxter
6. Some Triceraton
7. Usagi or a Rabbid (depending on if the rabbids are considered secret characters that don't apply to that list; oh, and I'm still betting that the rabbids are just a single character with alternate costumes)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Those stages are flippin' gorgeous! :eek: The turtles' lair, the Technodrome and even a wild west town? Heck, even the Rabbids get their own stage (which is based on Rabbids Go Home).

I must say that this game is tempting me a lot more now...

That said, I realized why Utrominator is used to replace Krang. the Utrominator's robot suit matches the gritty aspect of TMNT: Smash Up. Krang's robot suit, which looks like a grown man wearing briefs? Not so much.

However, Bebop and Rocksteady will fit in a lot more easily, since they are punks (with the latter wearing army clothes, no less). They look tough without looking silly (although they're not too bright :p).

Oh man, oh man! I cannot wait for this game. My guess on the remaining 7 characters:

1. Leatherhead
2. Bebop
3. Rocksteady
4. Hun
5. Baxter
6. Some Triceraton
7. Usagi or a Rabbid (depending on if the rabbids are considered secret characters that don't apply to that list; oh, and I'm still betting that the rabbids are just a single character with alternate costumes)
I'm hoping for Bebop and Rocksteady to show up, since they never got a chance to be playable in a TMNT fighting game.

As for Baxter...I am not sure which version they'll use. The fly version could provide some variety, though.

I was thinking that Tatsu could show up, but sadly, he doesn't really have anything to stand out from the others. :(

Although the triceraton is a good enough suggestion to me, so that'll make a nice compromise.

Now, as for Usagi...this could be complicated, as he is a character that belongs to Stan Sakai. There would have to be some sort of rights negociation for him to make it in.

Note: the last two images aren't working for me.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
And thought Brawl was slow.
This game looks like the fighiting pace has come to a crawl.
Think of what terrible speeds that could happen if another Smash game was made after they were done with this game, it'd be like ALWAYS having online lag!

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
Now, as for Usagi...this could be complicated, as he is a character that belongs to Stan Sakai. There would have to be some sort of rights negociation for him to make it in.
I'm well aware of that, but he's appeared in both TMNT cartoons, numerous comic crossovers, and at least one TMNT video game. I'd say he has as good a chance as anyone else. The only thing I see hurting his chances is that we already have 4 characters with swords; although we don't have any samurai yet.

And thought Brawl was slow.
This game looks like the fighiting pace has come to a crawl.
Think of what terrible speeds that could happen if another Smash game was made after they were done with this game, it'd be like ALWAYS having online lag!
I think you're watching the wrong videos. If anything the game is faster paced than Brawl. And there's no tripping... :)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
But the videos make the game look soooooo floaty.

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
But the videos make the game look soooooo floaty.
Aye, they do, but there's something you have to realize. The game plays differently from Smash Bros. It focuses far more on ground combat than aerial combat. And I'm sure you've seen the wall attacks. There's nothing floaty about those at all.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
The floatyness does worry me a little, but everyone should remember that Brawl looked floater than it ended up being when it was first seen. The people playing the early builds weren't really accustomed to downfalling and short hops, among other things. It wasn't until E4All that Brawl started to get its dues (something that Smash Up won't get before release, no thanks to not having a sub-board to easier get the word out about a playable build at Comic Con).

What might help a little is that they're bringing something similar to the Melee air dodge back:

(1/3 speed gif)

Wavedashing's still out from what we know, but it still could help keep things a little closer to the ground.

Speaking of which, each character has larger move repertories on the ground than in Brawl or Melee. I'm sure that sorting each character's quickest moves shouldn't be much of a problem. Ralph in particular looks fast - almost like a Smash Bros equivalent of Taki from Soul Calibur.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I bet a triceraton will make it, since the fugitoid did (and according to what I found out, both the fugitoid and triceratons were created at the same time before TMNT was even thought up)

I am still hoping for Bebop and Rocksteady...

Baxter will probably appear as his african-american self...which means he will probably be in some kind of robotic body. However, that reminds me too much of the utrominator...so the fly would be more welcome to me.

Usagi would be awesome

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of which, each character has larger move repertories on the ground than in Brawl or Melee. I'm sure that sorting each character's quickest moves shouldn't be much of a problem. Ralph in particular looks fast - almost like a Smash Bros equivalent of Taki from Soul Calibur.
You lose TMNT points for putting an "L" in Raph... :mad:

Anyway, I think you all can appreciate this. I posted this in another forum.

Not sure if anyone has considered this, but with the addition of diagonal attacks, weak/strong attacks, wall attacks, and the combo system each character in Smash Up should have more than 2.5 times as many attacks as characters in the Smash Bros series.

SMASH BROS
Ground Attacks:
1 neutral
1 dash
3 tilt
3 smash

Air Attacks:
1 neutral
4 tilt

Special Attacks:
1 neutral
3 tilt

Total: 17 attacks

SMASH UP
Ground Attacks:
1 neutral
1 dash
5 tilt
5 smash

Air Attacks:
1 neutral
8 tilt

Total: 21 weak + 21 strong = 42 attacks

The total above isn't even counting the new wall attack mechanic that Smash Up has because I don't know how complex it is yet; I would guess there is a weak wall attack and strong wall attack, though, bringing the total to 44. Then there is the whole combo system that we still don't know much about yet. If each character has even 6-8 combos then that gives each character 3 times as many moves as Smash Bros had. Then there are throw too.

Food for thought.

Oh, and if I missed any attacks, please let me know; I think I got everything, but it's possible I overlooked some moves.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Personally, I don't like all the new directions of attacking. Smash is beautiful for its simplicity.

ptown

Smash Ace
turtlefreak, how do you know there are "smash" attacks? ign article said "you don't have smash out attacks". if he meant no smash-the-control-stick attacks, that'd be an improvement.

you'd think with two attack buttons plus directions, they could work something out to get the full range of power (sf4 style: light, medium, heavy). smash did it with one button. tmnt could do it without the need to smash the control stick: for example, f+weak = medium attack, f+strong = heavy attack. tap forward, hold forward, smash forward and there being no difference (i.e. only one attack coming out) would nice and simple imo.

no overlapping controls (especially pressure sensitive controls) -> no move distinction confusion -> happy player.

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
Oh snap, I never knew Smashboards was discussing this game so heavily xD;
I haven't been here since Brawl came out but I'm back to join the discussion :] Been hyping this game for awhile now, I <3 TMNT. Putting Brawl and TMNT together is like a dream game to me xD

TurtleFreak

Smash Apprentice
turtlefreak, how do you know there are "smash" attacks? ign article said "you don't have smash out attacks". if he meant no smash-the-control-stick attacks, that'd be an improvement.
I don't recall seeing IGN say that, but you could be right.

EDIT: Ah, I see now. Fourth paragraph: http://wii.ign.com/articles/988/988459p1.html

We should know for sure when Ubisoft decides to post the in-depth video they promised to do at Comic Con.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Personally, I don't like all the new directions of attacking. Smash is beautiful for its simplicity.
I think ultimately we'll have to see how far the developers take it. Even with more tilt and smash attacks, it'd still be 1 button + direction. That's still more simple to control than most fighting games out there.

TMNT Smash Up is just more like having two different A-buttons instead of one A-button and the B specials.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace

you'd think with two attack buttons plus directions, they could work something out to get the full range of power (sf4 style: light, medium, heavy). smash did it with one button. tmnt could do it without the need to smash the control stick: for example, f+weak = medium attack, f+strong = heavy attack. tap forward, hold forward, smash forward and there being no difference (i.e. only one attack coming out) would nice and simple imo.

no overlapping controls (especially pressure sensitive controls) -> no move distinction confusion -> happy player.
Kubuu already cleared this up earlier in the thread:

"To be honest, the games have two different aims when it comes to move sets. In SSB you have 4 tilts and 4 smashes, plus your "special moves". Smash Up gives you tilts and smashes with both your light (A) and heavy (B) attacks, with the added diagonal direction attacks."

So again, it's just like Brawl was only the B button is just as capable as the A button. And every character has diagonal tilts now, instead of only some.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
More impressions:

http://blastmagazine.com/the-magazine/gaming/previews/2009/07/comic-con-09-hands-on-tmnt-smash-up/

"Casey was more of a heavyweight, with a big, slow swing of his hockey stick, but what he lacked in quickness and finesse he made up for with raw power."

"The fighting itself is similar to Smash Bros., which strong and weak attacks, grappling, and item use, but the characters seem to play differently, and it moves at a quicker pace than most Smash matches due to the speed of many of the fighters."

ptown

Smash Ace
thanks for looking that up, crispy.

i was reading some of kubuu's posts regarding the combo system.
with tilts AND smashes in... if the combo strings require fast inputs, doing tilts mid combo sounds a little tricky.
sounds like we'll face many accidental smashes mid combo.

waiting for the comic-con video for details...

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
thanks for looking that up, crispy.

i was reading some of kubuu's posts regarding the combo system.
with tilts AND smashes in... if the combo strings require fast inputs, doing tilts mid combo sounds a little tricky.
sounds like we'll face many accidental smashes mid combo.

waiting for the comic-con video for details...
I sorta doubt that you'll be continuing combo strings after a smash attack. I'd also be surprised if they let you combo into smash attacks in the first place.

I'll speculate that like Marth's forward-B moves, how hard you jam the stick during combos won't matter.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So many people from the TMNT: Smash Up! official forums, heheheh. :D

Maybe marketting the game by relating it to Brawl was a good idea after all? Because according to Comic-con journalists, there were a LOT of players waiting in line to try this game out. ^^

I'm praying this game will turn out very well.

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
So many people from the TMNT: Smash Up! official forums, heheheh. :D

Maybe marketting the game by relating it to Brawl was a good idea after all? Because according to Comic-con journalists, there were a LOT of players waiting in line to try this game out. ^^

I'm praying this game will turn out very well.
well I am glad that Smashboards is discussing this game. I had been here a while previously in the Pokemon Trainer board and ventured to Jigglypuff some and a couple others. Though I left, but came back and going to start being more active in the Jigglypuff area.

I am glad to hear that TMNT SU had a long line at Comic Con. I know from looking at some of their pics at the Ubisoft game site, there were people various ages in the gaming area trying out the game. The turtles seem to appeal to a lot of people. Who knows, maybe its release in September will be close to Brawl sales proportions. If it is, then that probably would guarantee another game in the series.

Though as much as I am looking forward to this game, Smash will never be on the backburner for me. I love Pokemon Trainer and liking Jigglypuff a lot, so those 2 games will keep me busy on the Wii. :laugh:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah! It's also funny to see how everyone was complaining at the beginning of the thread, saying "oh... why TMNT?" or "I have a baad feeling about this game..."

And suddenly every poster seems like he/she's looking forward to the game... And that was exactly what happened to me. First I was thinking that this would be a SSB ripoff... Then, I got curious, and felt guilty for wanting to play it... Now I'm eagerly waiting for the release date to play this!

ptown

Smash Ace
I sorta doubt that you'll be continuing combo strings after a smash attack. I'd also be surprised if they let you combo into smash attacks in the first place.

I'll speculate that like Marth's forward-B moves, how hard you jam the stick during combos won't matter.
kubuu said a combo like this could work..

"forward tilt light attack, down tilt light attack, forward smash heavy"

all i'm saying is if the combos require quick inputs, alternating between multiple tilts and smashes could be difficult to do accurately and consistently in quick succession. especially if the combos are fast like a 3d fighter dial-a-combo combo and if one combo meant doing a tilt at one point in the string and an alternate combo meant doing a smash at that same point.

you're more likely to make a mistake and do the wrong move if this is the case. imo, it's poorer design to have moves overlap in motions like that (even more so if it is pressure sensitive).

if you need an example, look at the utilt in melee: a full jump, a short jump, fast uair, a usmash, and utilt all share the same general motion. it increases your chance of you doing a move you didn't intend to do.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
in case it hasnt been yet, im starting the "Venus should be in/Venus should not be in" debate!

Top Bottom