• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
Is Isa the S&P2 protagonist? I once thought that person was Saki. I would prefer Saki over Isa because I am more used to Saki and, to be honest, I like Saki's hairstyle (I know some people would consider the hairstyle thing a rediculous reason. I know that. I think I saved a comment.).

Also, Little Mac should really be playable in Smash 4. And Glass Joe could be an Assist Trophy helper, and although he would likely be the "Goldeen of Assist Trophies," he was pretty challenging to beat the first several times in Title Defense Mode of Punch-Out!! Wii, so he might have some more usefulness than most people might think.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
KumaOso, I had a response ready but I pressed a combination of keys that made it disappear. Ugg. Anyway, what I mainly wanted to say is that recentness itself isn't what makes a character deserving (deal with it, replace it with the word worthy if you want, it just means that the character has popularity and significance. You prove that you don't object to the fact itself whenever you say that any character should be in), but popularity. More recent characters are more well-known and therefore more popular. It would be nice to be able to use a poll of this kind of thing, but those only reach people nerdy enough to care beyond "X character would be cool".

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
KumaOso, I had a response ready but I pressed a combination of keys that made it disappear. Ugg. Anyway, what I mainly wanted to say is that recentness itself isn't what makes a character deserving (deal with it, replace it with the word worthy if you want, it just means that the character has popularity and significance. You prove that you don't object to the fact itself whenever you say that any character should be in), but popularity. More recent characters are more popular. It would be nice to be able to use a poll of this kind of thing, but those only reach people nerdy enough to care beyond "X character would be cool".
I would say that the bold statement isn't true. They're the ones most known, but that doesn't guarantee that they are well liked.

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
Here's an idea for an item: the "Smash Puppet!" Basically, it look like a normal mannequin at first, but it transforms to look like the fighter who picked it up and assists its master with its copied fighting style until either its time limit runs out or it gets destroyed.

Got any comments for this idea?

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
For the topic of adding Starfy to SSB4's playable roster: Starfy wouldn't make a good playable character. He was a poor AT helper, and I'm not sure if he's that well known.
I guess Knuckle Joe and Lyn are locks because of how good their ATs are. Remember, Tingle's AT was weak too.

KumaOso said:
I would say that the bold statement isn't true. They're the ones most known, but that doesn't guarantee that they are well liked.
I guess I didn't phrase myself right. What I mean is that more people are going to be familiar with the protagonist of GS3 by SSB4, and so that character will most likely be more popular, since some players of GS3 may not even know that Isaac exists (unless, like in GS2,
he becomes a party member

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Of course, the statement about characters being more recent means that they are more popular isn't a very good argument, but things are a bit different when it comes to Golden Sun. First of all, however, being more recent really has nothing to do with it. Retro characters are over two decades old and they still got in the game.

But I have to switch to Wizzerd's side on the Golden Sun debate. Retro characters only had one game, not an entire series. So they would be good choices to represent their series, but Golden Sun has dropped Isaac and introduced new characters that take his place. I think Golden Sun will get a playable spot, it is just hard to tell who it might be because of these factors.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
For the topic of adding Starfy to SSB4's playable roster: Starfy wouldn't make a good playable character. He was a poor AT helper, and I'm not sure if he's that well known.
I bet a lot more people know Starfy ever since he 1) appeared in Brawl, a maniacally popular game, and 2) recently had a game released in America, which seemed to get pretty significant advertisement.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
After four days, I'm back. At first I was gone because I didn't want to talk about Mewtwo (again) but then it was because my close cousin attempted suicide Saturday night. Anyways, I wanted to ask some questions that haven't been asked (at least not in a long time).

1. Since Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragons and the Sword of Light was released around the world this year, do you guys think Marth should have an English voice in SSB4?

2. If Ike were to return in SSB4, should he keep his Path of Radiance look or should he change to his Radiant Dawn look? For reference, this is what he looks like in RD:

Radiant Dawn takes place three years after Path of Radiance which explains why Ike looks the way that he does.

3. If you guys could choose 10 games (not franchises) that you think deserve more representation in SSB4, what would they be? (The list of games should be games that came out before Brawl was released.) Mine would be:

1. Duck Hunt
2. Mole Mania
3. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
4. Golden Sun and Golden Sun: the Lost Age (since they are basically part one and two)
5. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6. Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga
7. Advance Wars
8. Nazo no Murasamejo
9. the Donkey Kong Country games
10. Punch Out! (NES)

Mario the Jumpman

Smash Ace
After four days, I'm back. At first I was gone because I didn't want to talk about Mewtwo (again) but then it was because my close cousin attempted suicide Saturday night. Anyways, I wanted to ask some questions that haven't been asked (at least not in a long time).

1. Since Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragons and the Sword of Light was released around the world this year, do you guys think Marth should have an English voice in SSB4? I'm fine whether he gets an English voice or his Japanese one.

2. If Ike were to return in SSB4, should he keep his Path of Radiance look or should he change to his Radiant Dawn look? For reference, this is what he looks like in RD:

Radiant Dawn takes place three years after Path of Radiance which explains why Ike looks the way that he does. I think Ike should stick to his PoR look because he has longer hair.

3. If you guys could choose 10 games (not franchises) that you think deserve more representation in SSB4, what would they be? (The list of games should be games that came out before Brawl was released.) Mine would be:

1. Duck Hunt
2. Mole Mania

4. Golden Sun and Golden Sun: the Lost Age (since they are basically part one and two)
7. Advance Wars
8. Nazo no Murasamejo
10. Punch Out! (NES)
Comments in red.

Also, I would like some comments on my Smash Puppet idea I posted on Page 1399, please. And if anybody has any changes they would like to make on that idea of mine, I would like to see them, please.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
@MtJ: ...Long hair makes Ike better?

OoT should indeed be represented more, since out of the 5 Zelda stages we've had so far, none of them have been from that game. Most of the other games should also be represented, though in some instances, not with characters (ie Duck Hunt and the like) The only thing that really stands out there as something that I feel is already represented well enough as it is, is the DKC series.

n88

Smash Lord
@MtJ: ...Long hair makes Ike better?
Yes. Yes it does.

I would love to see the Mario and Luigi games get some rep. I'm confused as to why Paper Bowser and Paper Peach got two trophies each, and Fawful got none.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In my opinion, the DKC series needs more representation as a whole. I mean, there are only two moves between DK and Diddy that directly reference those games (Hand Slap and Diddy's cartwheel dash). I mean, sure there are several trophies and stickers, but other than that, we just get one old stage. And two new music tracks to go with the now three Jungle Japes remixes.

What I'm getting at now is that the first DKC has fine representation. The most DKC2 (the best-selling of the three) and 3 got were Bramble Blast and a few name-drops among the trophies and chronicle. Give us more DKC2 music and maybe a new stage from either game, and it'll be adequate representation.

I'm not adding K. Rool to this reps debate, as Sakurai doesn't choose characters based on reps. He chooses by what new things they can add, do they interest him, and do they interest the fans.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Yes. Yes it does.

I would love to see the Mario and Luigi games get some rep. I'm confused as to why Paper Bowser and Paper Peach got two trophies each, and Fawful got none.
I don't see why. :dizzy:

Anyways, a large portion of trophies in Brawl were just models from other games. That's why you have two versions of both those paper characters. Fawful was only a sprite, and since it seems whoever was in charage of the trophies was lazy, we didn't get him.

In my opinion, the DKC series needs more representation as a whole. I mean, there are only two moves between DK and Diddy that directly reference those games (Hand Slap and Diddy's cartwheel dash). I mean, sure there are several trophies and stickers, but other than that, we just get one old stage. And two new music tracks to go with the now three Jungle Japes remixes.
I can't remember all too much right now, but what other moves did they even have in the DKC games that even could be added? I think DK had a rolling attack, but that's the only unreprented thing I can think of. I guess there are also the animal helpers, but that's more of matter of being a AT or something.

UberMario

Smash Master
Yes. Yes it does.

Ditto, he's only the second multi-protagonist in the whole ENTIRE series (Bowser Jr.'s the third.), and yet he's not in the Smash universe. The new game will probably help his chances of being a new character however. (He has enough moves already for a moveset without including Bowser's Inside Story.)

Tacel

Smash Lord
OoT should indeed be represented more, since out of the 5 Zelda stages we've had so far, none of them have been from that game.
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Hyrule_Castle

Anyway, I agree with the representing Ocarina of Time more idea. I also think there should be Majora's Mask and Wind Waker stages in the new Smash (along with an Ocarina of Time stage).

Ideas:
Ocarina of Time - Death Mountain (Delfino Plaza style) or Temple of Time or Zora's Domain or Great Deku Tree
Majora's Mask - BRING BACK GREAT BAY or Termina Field or Clock Town or Deku Palace
Wind Waker - Dragon Roost Island or another Great Sea level or Molgera Battle

Suggestions?

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Fatmanonice said:
Oh. I'm very sorry about that.

1. Since Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragons and the Sword of Light was released around the world this year, do you guys think Marth should have an English voice in SSB4?
He's had the voice for two games now... I suppose it isn't a huge deal but he can get an English voice for SSB4.

2. If Ike were to return in SSB4, should he keep his Path of Radiance look or should he change to his Radiant Dawn look?
I believe some of the Star Fox characters got their models drawn more

1. Duck Hunt
2. Mole Mania
7. Advance Wars
8. Nazo no Murasamejo
10. Punch Out! (NES)
Donkey Kong Country is a series... :ohwell:

In no particular order:

1. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
2. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
3. Donkey Kong Country 2
4. Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (deal with it, it's a great game)
5. Metroid in general
6. F-Zero in general
7. Golden Sun
8. Punch Out! (NES)
9. Animal Crossing
10. Panel de Pon

BKupa666 said:
I'm not adding K. Rool to this reps debate, as Sakurai doesn't choose characters based on reps. He chooses by what new things they can add, do they interest him, and do they interest the fans.
If this was true, Pokemon, Fire Emblem and Mother, series with very many potential characters, would have more slots than Zelda, a series with barely any.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
@Fatmanonice:

1)Yes
2)No (I like his old design more)
3)10 series? Hmmmmm

1)Wii series
2)Golden Sun
3)Punch Out
4)Rhythm Heaven
5)Sin and Punishment
6)Project Sora (because it's Sakurai)
7)Nazo no Murasamejo
8)Advance Wars

That's about it. The Wii games defiantly need something. Either add Mii as a fighter or a few stages.

And welcome back.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
@fatmanonice:

1.donkey kong in general
-i always loved all the different kongs from dk64, and i think they could make rambi the rino and cranky kong assit trophys at the very least

2.legend of zelda majoras mask
-i would love to see the goron/deku/zora link in the next smash

3.mario games in general
-yes i know we already have enough of them...but mario is the flagship game and i think they could do a great job with characters like petey pirhana, bowser jr. or other koopalings, and even waluigi (why do people hate him so much?)

4.fire emblem
-recently i have been playing these, and i think tha characters like lyn, eliwood, and hector would all make great smash characters

5. Paper mario
-i think it would be a very interesting character with all his partners/pixls and even his paper abilities

6. yoshi's island
-the baby bros would work....maybe have them use moves from superstar saga(even though they weren' in there)? those were pretty cool

7. star fox
-slippy replaces the sandbag and peppy runs the tutorial and constantly yells "DO A BARREL ROLL" and of course the final smash for both will be landmaster......but in all seriousness i think this great series needs some more rep, or at least some different movesets

8. ive run out of ideas

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Fatmanonice

1. I wouldn't mind. I'd be surprised if Spike Spencer reprised his role.

2. I'd like to see his new look in. It makes more sense for him to be a heavy sword user that way.

3. In no particular order:

1. Animal Crossing
2. Panel de Pon
3. Golden Sun
4. Sin and Punishment
5. Punch-Out!!! Wii
7. Majora's Mask
8. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
9. Super Mario Galaxy
10.Starfox Adventures

Meta-Knight

Smash Journeyman
These are the main things I want. By the way, has there been any word on a Smash 4 yet?

New Characters

Waluigi (hopefully his moveset would be different from Wario's)
Daisy (no Peach costume; the real Daisy this time)
Koopalings (switch between all seven at any time....that would be great! :D)
Midna (ability to switch between imp and human at will)
Wolf Link (Final Smash; playable until you get K.O.'d, then you have to be Link again)
Charizard (no Pokemon Trainer, no Squirtle, no Ivysaur, nothing....just a singular char.)
Deoxys (no clone of Mewtwo or Lucario...cloning is really getting old)
Mega Man (Final Smash could be Giga Crash; BANG BANG BANG BOOOOM!!! everyone's out! :D)
Knuckles (very similar to Sonic & Knuckles; glide, wall climb, strength; Hyper Knuckles as Final Smash)

Assist Trophies

Rosalina
Peppy
Dr. Wily

Final Smashes

Bowser - Koopa Clown Car; similar to Super Mario World (drop boulders, bounce, swoop in, etc.)
Luigi - Lightning Wave/Thunder Hand; similar to Mario's Fire Wave except more devastating

New Stages

Bowser's Castle (the one I want most; I don't care how it plays out, I just want a Bowser stage)
Pokemon Tower (fight on roof, like Saffron City in 64; ghost Pokemon will attack randomly)
Wily Skull Fortress (platform takes you inside and out of the castle; similar to Isle Delfino)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
@ Wizzerd, I know DKC is a series; I was saying that the original DKC has adequate representation, but DKC2 and 3 do not.

In terms of other DKC moves that could be used...DK does have a rolling attack, and you could also give him a barrel cannon as a recovery. Animal buddies would be a Final Smash at the most, but I doubt it. He could also throw barrels, which could also be a throwback to the original Donkey Kong. Diddy has less to draw from, but he already has a nice moveset drawn from the other major DK game, DK64. He could always use his guitar or Chimpy Charge from that game, though.

There is a whole soundtrack of great music from all three games that could be added, instead of two more remixes to the Jungle Hijinks theme. The stages seem to be in a similar vein to Metroid Prime, in that there are so many potential stages that can be made, but the stages are from the beginning of the first games. Cranky Kong should definitely be a replacement for Mr. Resetti.

When I was a lad, we had a joystick and one button; that's enough for anyone.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
These are the main things I want. By the way, has there been any word on a Smash 4 yet?

New Characters

Waluigi (hopefully his moveset would be different from Wario's)
Daisy (no Peach costume; the real Daisy this time)
Koopalings (switch between all seven at any time....that would be great! :D)
Midna (ability to switch between imp and human at will)
Wolf Link (Final Smash; playable until you get K.O.'d, then you have to be Link again)
Charizard (no Pokemon Trainer, no Squirtle, no Ivysaur, nothing....just a singular char.)
Deoxys (no clone of Mewtwo or Lucario...cloning is really getting old)
Mega Man (Final Smash could be Giga Crash; BANG BANG BANG BOOOOM!!! everyone's out! :D)
Knuckles (very similar to Sonic & Knuckles; glide, wall climb, strength; Hyper Knuckles as Final Smash)

Assist Trophies

Rosalina
Peppy
Dr. Wily

Final Smashes

Bowser - Koopa Clown Car; similar to Super Mario World (drop boulders, bounce, swoop in, etc.)
Luigi - Lightning Wave/Thunder Hand; similar to Mario's Fire Wave except more devastating

New Stages

Bowser's Castle (the one I want most; I don't care how it plays out, I just want a Bowser stage)
Pokemon Tower (fight on roof, like Saffron City in 64; ghost Pokemon will attack randomly)
Wily Skull Fortress (platform takes you inside and out of the castle; similar to Isle Delfino)
Your AT's would work fine. While I disagree with the FS changes, they could work. As for stages, Look good to me. Your characters section has problems though.

Waluigi - not important enough really. Bowser Jr. would beat him out. (but not paper mario)
Daisy - Same with Waluigi.
Koopalings - Better Boss material really. They are not important enough.
Midna - not important enough
Wolf Link - I love the idea, but I doubt it will ever happen. If Wolf link has a cameo in the next zelda game, maybe.
Charizard - No. Keep the trainer together.
Deoxys - I like the idea, but he missed his chance.
Mega Man - First realistic character choice.
Knuckles - We have sonic we do not need another Sonic character.

---

I expect these characters to be playable

Starfy
Andy
Bowser Jr.
Mewtwo
Roy
Ridley
Lil Mac

and some others, but I am not going into them yet.

Characters I would like to see playable.

Leaf -> (Jiggs, pichu, Gardivour)
Wolf Link (as a FS transformation for link)
Diskun

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Fierce Deity Link really should have been Link's Final Smash. Triforce Slash was both generically named and...well...generic as a move. It was a bit similar to Ike's Great Aether and TOO similar to Cloud's Omnislash.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Slinky

Slinky is a pull-toy dachshund, with a long, metal slinky for a body, hence his name. Another, smaller slinky with a plastic tip serves as his tail, which is always wagging. He talks with a Southern dialect (and can also speak 'dog'), and has unwavering loyalty to his friends. Slinky often uses his namesake to help the toys out of jams, often being stretched to his limit in the process.

Statistics

Movement: 9
Aerial Movement: 8
Size: 5.5
Fall Speed: 5
Jumps: 4
Power: 4
Weight: 2.5
Traction: 2

Slinky is far and away the fastest toy; due to his lack of mass, however, Slinky is the easiest toy to send flying. Fortunately for him, Slinky only takes damage from attacks that hit his front or hindquarters; if a character attacks or runs into his slinky, they are rebounded (although his sling can still be grabbed). Slinky can increase the size of his spring to increase the likelihood of this occurring; a large spring is also incredibly beneficial to his damage-building. No matter his spring size, Slinky's front and rear move simultaneously, giving you control of quite a large character (although the size of your hurtboxes remain static).

Specials

Side Special - Stretch
Slinky trots forward at Mario's walk with his frontside, leaving his hindquarters in place and stretching his middle out. Release the input to stop stretching, and press it again to instantly snap back to your regular length. Slinky can alter his total length from a Battlefield platform to half of Final Destination. If your head or hindquarters take an attack that deals more than 10% while you're stretching or stretched out, Slinky immediately snaps back to his regular size before taking the move's knockback.

This increases the range of quite a few of Slinky's spring-based moves. In addition, if a character falls onto Slinky's spring, they take 5-6% and vertical knockback that KOs around 150%. Slinky can stretch under a falling opponent and bounce them right back up; he can juggle characters at low damage levels, but they'll be able to DI away after two or three bounces.

Neutral Special - Surround
Slinky bites down on his tail, moving his head and hindquarters into the foreground while moving part of his spring into the background, creating a circle shape with his body, with his spring entering the stage's plane in two places. The area he encircles depends on his length, varying from a mere one Stage Builder block to half of Battlefield. He can hold it as long as he wishes, relinquishing it upon a second press of B. Slinky has one strictly vertical jump in this pose, and cannot dodge (although since his spring takes no damage, this isn't a problem, due to his hurtboxes being in the foreground). He can hold this pose for up to twelve seconds. Slinky's goal here is to encircle his opponent, in order to get his damage-building game on the road.

To get an enemy in his clutches, Slinky will want to stretch himself out a bit, to increase the likelihood of them being trapped inside his circle. Once he's increased his length, Slinky can drop down on a victim from above while using this move, to stick them inside. If a foe is falling down toward his spring, Slinky can also use this move to trap them. Caught victims can grab and throw the portion of Slinky's spring that's on the stage's plane to end the pose and return him to his normal length. They can also try jumping or rolling out, although Slinky can counter all these options.

If they try and attack Slinky's spring, come into contact with it, or are launched into it, however, they'll rebound off of it, taking the damage and knockback of their attack. Depending on the size of Slinky's circle and the horizontal knockback of the attack, they may rebound off the opposite side of Slinky's spring, taking the same damage and knockback. This may cause them to bounce between Slinky's circle over and over again, building damage quickly. The moral is simple: don't attack Slinky's spring when you're trapped! That said, Slinky does have a few conniving ways to trick you into doing so...

Down Special - Jumprope Spring
Slinky begins swinging his spring around in circular motions, as if it were a jump rope, with .35 second startup lag. He can hold this move out as long as he wishes (cancel by dodging, with .35 cooldown), but must remain stationary when his spring is spinning. If he's not stretched out at all, the vertical range is about half of Mario's height; when he's stretched to the max, Slinky's spring reaches up approximately one Ganondorf. Characters caught in Slinky's spinning spring are caught in its multiple light hits of 3-4%. Slinky can cancel his spinning into Neutral Special; if an opponent is caught in his spring during this time, they are released, but automatically stuck inside Slinky's circle.

Up Special - Hindquarters Slingshot
Slinky grabs and pulls back his hindquarters for a brief period, before releasing them, launching himself in that direction at Sonic's dash speed. At his normal length, Slinky takes .2 second to pull his hindquarters back, but if he's stretched, this time increases, taking .75 second at maximum length due to Slinky having more of his body to pull back.

During the startup lag, Slinky can aim his launch in any direction. Opponents who hit Slinky as he's being launched take 7-9% and knockback that KOs around 195%. He essentially trades recovery for range and distance inside his Neutral Special circle by stretching himself out. Onstage, Slinky can use this move to launch himself directly up and get some air, before falling down and encircling an opponent with Neutral Special.

Grab-Game

Grab - Kink in Your Link
Slinky loosens his spring slightly, creating a bit of space between each individual coil after .5 second. This turns Slinky's entire spring into a grab hitbox for three seconds; foes hit by any attack that utilizes Slinky's middle are caught in his coils, which he tightens back up to snare a victim. That's right, if you have a nice long spring after stretching yourself out, you have access to an incredibly massive grab hitbox on several of your attacks. If your opponent tries escaping your Neutral Special circle, you can just loosen your spring, surrounding them with a grab hitbox.

Pummel - Constrict
Slinky twists his metal coils around any capturing opponents, dealing a light 1%. Although Slinky can spam this pummel fairly well, it's primary purpose is keeping foes in his coils a bit longer; for each pummel, .4 second is added to Slinky's grab time. This is especially helpful when it comes time for Slinky to throw.

Throw - Rebound
Slinky directs the opponent, caught in his sling, in the direction you hold the Control Stick. He has multiple uses for this; first off, Slinky can direct his victim into outside attacks, knocking them away. He can slam them into a wall or the ground, dealing 8% and a bit of grab-stun (they're still held after being stunned).

Finally, Slinky can pull his spring in one direction and release the input to launch his opponent in the opposite direction, dealing the same damage and knockback that KOs around 150%. Slinky can move his opponent from half of Battlefield to half of Final Destination away, depending on his length. He can move his opponent until they escape; if you wish to move them for an extended period of time, use your pummel or slam them to the ground for some additional stun.

Basic Attacks

Jab - Bark and Bite
Slinky snaps at his opponent, speaking the word 'bark' as he does so. His mouth has a hitbox as he snaps, dealing 2% and a small set horizontal knockback. Slinky can hold this move out against cornered opponents, as can any generic combo character with their jab. A better use, however, is for him to snap continuously as he stretches forward with Side Special. The decent priority of the snap will defend his front from many attacks, allowing Slinky to stretch with less danger of snapping back.

Dash Attack - A Spring in His Step
Slinky rears back for approximately half a second, before lunging forward half of Final Destination with his front half, landing with another half second of lag. This essentially stretches him out to maximum range in one smooth motion. Slinky can be attacked mid-move to set him ricocheting back to where his hindquarters remain. He should attempt to perform this at the start of a match, to get himself nice and lengthy to increase his chances of encircling a victim.

If he manages to jump over a victim, hitting them with his spring as it comes down, they take 5% and a bit of stun, allowing him to easily use Neutral Special on them. At maximum length, Slinky jumps up, but is immediately rebounded back to regular length, due to his spring having been stretched so tight already.

Forward Tilt - Spring Catapult
Slinky's hindquarters take a step into the background, so his front faces the screen, as his middle extends forward at Bowser's dash speed. He can reach his spring out from two character widths to half of Battlefield, depending on how far he's stretched. Slinky can instantly snap back to regular with with .35 second lag by releasing the input; he does so automatically if he reaches maximum range.

If Slinky's spring hits a character from the front, they take 5% and trip. Only useful for temporarily stunning a character in the hopes of jumping over them and surrounding them. If a character hits the backside of the spring, however, the spring snaps back on them, as they take 10% and are launched in the opposite direction, with knockback that KOs around 140%. If this is used while Slinky is in his Neutral Special pose, both sides of his springy circle will stretch outward. Slinky can use this if a character is attempting to roll out of his circle; stretch back into their rolling path, launching them back toward the opposite spring wall to build their damage as they bounce back and forth.

Down Tilt - Wag
Slinky's tail begins rapidly wagging, with minimal startup lag. Characters who come into contact with it take multiple rapid hits of 1-2%, along with some stun. Due to the hitbox being behind Slinky, this move is poorly-suited for close combat, unless he turns around before doing so (which telegraphs the move pretty blatantly, despite its quick startup). Instead, Slinky can use D-Tilt while stretching forward with Side Special, preventing opponents from attacking his hindquarters and bringing him back to normal size. This move does nothing when Slinky is using Neutral Special, due to him biting down on his tail to maintain the circle.

Up Tilt - Spring Shot
Slinky stands vertically, compressing his spring down for .4 second, before launching himself upward two Ganondorfs. The compress takes .1 second longer, while the launch is one Ganondorf higher, for each Battlefield platform Slinky has stretched prior to using U-Tilt. Characters who hit him as he rockets upward take 9% and vertical knockback that KOs around 150%. Slinky can KO vertically with this, although it is predictable to do so. A better option is for him to use this for some air, before coming down with Neutral Special around an opponent. Like D-Tilt, this move has no effect when Slinky is in his circle pose.

Smashes

Forward Smash - Spring Hoop
Slinky forms a circular position over .3 second, as he does with Neutral Special; here, however, he stands vertically in circle form and rolls forward. The speed at which he rolls increases from Bowser's dash to that of Fox, depending on charge time. Depending on how far he's stretched, Slinky's circle increases from the size of Bowser to slightly smaller than that of Negative Zone. Characters who get hit by Slinky's rolling are caught in his spinning, taking 5-9% per second. Slinky can roll for as long as he wishes, being able to cancel by pressing B, automatically placing him in Neutral Special, or by dodging.

If an opponent is rolling inside Slinky as he cancels, they are surrounded by his circle when he stops rolling. Slinky can use this Smash while a foe is surrounded, automatically capturing them in his rolling circle and allowing him to move to another location onstage, keeping his foe in his clutches as he goes. Characters can knock Slinky out of his roll by hitting his head or hindquarters; this can be difficult if he's stretched out, as most of the circle will be spring, which pulls you into the roll if attacked. This is one of the main reasons opponents of Slinky will want to keep him from stretching; it's very difficult to dodge Slinky when he's rolling at you in a giant circle.

Down Smash - Vibrations
Slinky gets a focused look, as the golden glow of the Smash appears on his middle. Upon release, Slinky's spring will immediately bounce up and down. Characters who hit his moving spring take 11-14% and are spiked downward. This Smash lasts for a while, ranging from one to three seconds depending on charge time, although Slinky can perform other moves after release. The move has great vertical range if Slinky is stretched out a ways.

If he's in a Neutral Special pose while using this Smash, Slinky gains the ability to angle this Smash; he can angle it up or down for the regular effect, as well as left or right. In a circle, the entirety of Slinky's spring moves in the direction you selected; if an opponent is surrounded, the hitbox will be all around them. If they attempt to jump out, you can spike them back into your midst by angling the Smash up. By angling the Smash in at them, the spring will bounce in and out at the opponent. This is a great way to pressure your victim; if the Smash is charged, a surrounded opponent will have nowhere to run to as both sides of your spring move in on them. The odds of them hitting one side and bouncing off it and into the other are high.

If Slinky surrounds an opponent and angles the move left or right, he can use F-Tilt when his spring is at its furthest outward point. The spring will obey the laws of physics and bounce back in even closer to the victim. They'll be even more sandwiched in between the sides of your spring.

Up Smash - Howl
Slinky raises his head and lets out a loud howl, with .25 second startup. Depending on his charge, the sound of the howl ranges from comical to fierce and realistic. He can hold his howl out for up to three seconds, in case characters try jumping and dodging; as with D-Smash, Slinky can use other moves while howling. Characters from one to three character widths in front of Slinky on his same level enter a dizzy animation, as if their shield was broken. Slinky can capitalize on this by attacking them, stretching out, or by surrounding them with Neutral Special. The more stretched-out Slinky is when he howls, the more devastating it is, due to the opponent having less room onstage to dodge.

Slinky doesn't howl when he's surrounded an opponent, due to him clamping down on his tail to maintain his circle. Instead, he lets out an ominous growl, stunning characters inside the entirety of his springy prison. Holding out the move here is more effective when a character is surrounded; unless they have multiple jumps, they'll have to fall back down and be stunned. Unlike when outside, they don't have the option of jumping and DIing away when surrounded, as Slinky can use an up-angled D-Smash to spike them back down if they try.

Aerials

Neutral Air - Rear Copter
Slinky begins swinging his hindquarters around and around his head, cutting his fall speed in half after about half a second. He can hold this move as long as he wishes. As you might guess, if Slinky is stretched out, the range of the move is pretty crazy. His hindquarters reach from one Battlefield platform to half of Final Destination on either side of him, dealing 8% and spiking characters they hit. Slinky can stretch himself out and use this move to keep foes out of the air; he doesn't want them up there, as he can't surround them there. He can also use the halved fall speed to direct himself over an opponent before dropping down on them with Neutral Special (spiking them with the hitbox before dropping down is a nice option to consider).

Forward Air - Triple Bite
Slinky chomps down three times rapidly, dealing 2% with each bite. In contrast to the typical multi-hit aerial in which the final hit deals knockback, Slinky's final chomp pulls characters closer to him. A victim closer to Slinky will have a harder time getting out of the range of his N-Air. He can't build damage reliably with this combo, although it can make Slinky's goal of getting victims out of the air easier. It can also defend Slinky from gimping characters quite effectively.

Back Air - Happy Hound
Slinky wags his tail three times rapidly, a goofy grin on his face. This move is functionally identical to F-Air, but behind Slinky, allowing him to pull in victims from either side of him. Although simplistic, the versatility this move adds to Slinky's air game is far from unimportant.

Up Air - Ear Flap
Slinky shakes his head vertically, flapping his large vinyl ears. This stalls his downwards momentum for a split second, increasing his horizontal DI during this time. Characters who hit Slinky's ears take 2-3% and a bit of stun. Slinky should not try and hit opponents with his ears, however, due to them being able to recover and punish him easily. Instead, this can be used in combination with N-Air to position Slinky over an opponent before landing around them with Neutral Special.

Down Air - Plummet
Slinky's frontside plummets down to the ground at Toon Link's D-Air speed, at a slight forward angle. Characters who hit his paws as he drops take 9% and are spiked with moderate force. His hindquarters remain airborne until Slinky's middle stretches down more than half of Final Destination (or until he reaches the ground), before following the rest of his body. Slinky can stretch himself out this way; however far he drops before his hindquarters follow is how far he will be stretched upon landing.

Considering Slinky is great at keeping opponents on the ground, this is a great way to stretch without being interrupted (.25 second isn't bad for landing lag). Slinky can plummet down to a foe's level before surrounding them, increasing the area of his circle in the process. Impressive!

Final Smash

Final Smash - Super Spring
Slinky's spring stretches itself out, seemingly beyond Slinky's control, putting him at his maximum size instantly. However, Slinky now has super armor on his head and hindquarters; if he's attacked at all, he won't go careening back to his regular length. You now have much more freedom to play an aggressive game when imprisoning your opponents. Slinky has great range to his moves and a great deal of space inside his Neutral Special circle, and he doesn't have to play safe while taking advantage of them, due to opponents being unable to take them away. This lasts for fifteen seconds; Slinky's spring remains completely stretched out after this time, but he loses his super armor, making defense more important again.

Playstyle

Slinky has three distinct goals in his matches; stretching himself out, surrounding an opponent with Neutral Special, and building damage on them while they're surrounded. His exuberant speed on the ground and in the air take some difficulty away from doing so, although they leave the strategic aspect of these tasks untouched. Those are left up to the Slinky player.

Before the fight reaches Slinky, he'll want to use Side Special to extend himself as far as he can. Although stretching Slinky increases the size of the character you're controlling, the size of his hurtboxes stays the same, while many potential hitboxes get much larger. In addition, Slinky surrounds a much larger area with Neutral Special when he's longer. It also takes him less time to get around, without affecting his mobility at all. If an opponent is quick, they can reach Slinky as he's extending his middle. Slinky can try fending them off with multiple jabs or D-Tilt. Slinky will want to end his stretch as an opponent nears him, allowing him to at least stay extended; if he waits too long to cancel and is attacked too much, he'll be rebounded back to square one. Alternate options for stretching out include Dash Attack and D-Air.

Once Slinky is stretched out, he'll have a much easier time encircling an opponent with Neutral Special. To get a foe in his clutches, Slinky is best off dropping down on them from above while inputting the move. To prevent opponents from coming up after him, Slinky will want to use N-Air to keep them grounded, where they are vulnerable to being surrounded (they're safe in the air). F-Air and B-Air draw opponents in for spiking them with N-Air, while N-Air itself and U-Air increase Slinky's aerial mobility. Because his aerial movement is already great, Slinky can put these to use for an easy time positioning himself over an opponent. Once you're on top of a victim, fastfall down while using Neutral Special to capture them. Slinky also has access to Down Special and F-Smash, as alternate means of imprisoning a character.

Once you've got a foe in your clutches, Slinky will want to build damage on them, while ensuring they stay in his clutches so he can continue building damage. How he proceeds from here largely depends on whether his opponent attempts to stay inside his circle and dodge whatever Slinky throws at them, or escape (and how they escape). He'll have to do something, however, as if he remains immobile, his victim will grab his spring, ending the pose and escaping.

If the opponent remains passive (perhaps to set up some trap inside Slinky's circle), Slinky can pressure them with an inward-angled D-Smash, decreasing their breathing room and hopefully rebounding them off both sides of his spring a few times. He can also simply perform an F-Smash, damaging his victim a fair amount (depending on how far he can roll) and essentially forcing them to try and escape, lest they stay trapped in multiple F-Smashes after being stunned with U-Smash. Once he's convinced a character to try fleeing his springy prison, Slinky has plenty more options to rack up that damage. He can stretch his spring outward with F-Tilt to catch a victim as they try to flee, flinging them back into the opposite spring wall. He also can bounce his spring up and down with D-Smash to keep them from simply jumping out.

Slinky can add a grab hitbox to either of these moves by loosening his coils; if he grabs an opponent, he can squeeze and slam them, before sling-shotting them into the opposite wall of his spring for an auto-regrab. Because the grab hitbox lasts only three seconds, this cannot be used infinitely. If Slinky can snare an opponent with the prior two moves, however, grabbing and throwing can easily build damage on a victim. Grabbing also prevents an opponent from doing the same to Slinky's spring, as they'll just grab Slinky's grab hitbox and get caught. Finally, Slinky can throw an opponent offstage as a prime KO method. Slinky really doesn't have too many KO options, but considering how quickly he can build damage when played efficiently, this doesn't faze him. He can rebound an opponent inside his circle, then cancel the pose, sending them rocketing past where his spring would have been and off the side boundary.

Picking up Slinky initially can be difficult; you won't always be able to keep victims in your clutches, and may have to encircle them multiple times just to remove a single stock from your opponent. Once you get in some practice, however, all you'll need is to surround your opponent once, and you'll have them as good as finished. You'll also have to learn proper defense; to maintain a stretched body, Slinky can't take much damage at all. Slinky's matches are quite fast-paced, and are not for the faint of heart.

Extras

Up Taunt - Cheerful Exuberance
Slinky laughs and exclaims, "Golly bob howdy!" in his distinct Southern voice.

Side Taunt - Tail Chase
Slinky attempts to chase his tail. However, he underestimates his middle's stretching capacities; he lunges for his tail and bounds right over it due to his stretchy spring, collapsing to the ground briefly.

Down Taunt - Humorous Hindquarters
Slinky's hindquarters collapse to the ground in exhaustion...before bounding right back up, seemingly beyond Slinky's control. He turns and looks at his rear curiously, scratching his head with one paw.

Entrance - Bungee Jump
Slinky's front half is lowered onto the stage from the top blast line, his spring stretching as he goes down. After nearing solid ground, his hindquarters drop down after him, causing him to land in a small heap. Slinky gets up and shakes off like a dog, as the match starts.

Victory Pose #1 - Victorious Howl
Self-explanatory; Slinky lets out a long howl in his regular voice, before stopping and gazing happily at the screen.

Victory Pose #2 - Happy Hindquarters
Slinky is seen, coiled around and holding his hindquarters, patting them and laughing. His tail wags as he does so.

Victory Pose #3 - Canine Snooze
Slinky is seen, stretched out flat on the ground, taking an afternoon nap. His leg twitches occasionally, just like that of a real dog.

Loss Pose - Depression
Slinky lies in a coil on the ground, his spring slightly stretched out, peering unhappily at the winner. He's too sad about his loss to do much of any clapping.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
KumaOso said:
This annoys me so much, it's Superstar Saga! But I love that game, and you included Paper Mario 2, my personal favorite game of all time, so I'm not complaining.

BKupa666 said:
@ Wizzerd, I know DKC is a series; I was saying that the original DKC has adequate representation, but DKC2 and 3 do not.
Oh no, I was just responding to Fatmanonice who put the DKC series on his list even though it was supposed to be a list of GAMES. I put Metroid in general and F-Zero in general, though, so I shouldn't be complaining... In any case, I totally agree that the DK characters need better movesets.

drag0nscythe said:
Waluigi - not important enough really. Bowser Jr. would beat him out. (but not paper mario)
I feel like you're just baiting me now... and practically everybody beats Waluigi... :laugh:

drag0nscythe said:
Wolf Link - I love the idea, but I doubt it will ever happen. If Wolf link has a cameo in the next zelda game, maybe.
Masked Link, Agahnim, King of Red Lions, Linebeck, all were significant and popular characters but they never cameod again. Besides, even if he did there would still be more chance for him.

Heartz said:
Fierce Deity Link really should have been Link's Final Smash. Triforce Slash was both generically named and...well...generic as a move. It was a bit similar to Ike's Great Aether and TOO similar to Cloud's Omnislash.
Hey, you know what would be cool? If Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII was in Brawl! *knocked down by Ike* [/Brawl Taunts 2]

But with all seriousness, Fierce Deity Link would be a badass Final Smash for Link. In fact, why couldn't Sakurai just used Ending Blow for Link? It could act exactly like Triforce Slash but with a shorter and easier to program animation. We really need canonical Final Smashes. First on the list is Luigi's acid trip.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
You really shouldn't expect Roy (or Mewtwo) though. :ohwell:

Anyways, for the 10 games/series (before Brawl came out) that should have some more representation...

1. Punchout! (Helped out by PO!!. I'm guessing the Wii version will have more focus, but there will probably still be some focus on the original as well)
2. Golden Sun 1/2 (They are really more like one long game. In any case, I think that GSDS may throw a wrench in this, but there should still at least be some refferences to the original two, like music)
3. Panel De Pon (Even if there is no character or even stage, the music from this game is a must.)
4. Wii ____ (It's too popular to go unnoticed. The island from WSR could also make a good replacement to Delfino.)
5. LoZ OoT (As far as I'm concerned, the Hyrule Castle stage from the original Smash was just a generic Hyrule castle, much like Castle Siege. A real stage from OoT has been long overdo)
6. Paper Mario (While I know some people disagree with me that Paper Mario would probably get in before Bowser Jr. I don't think many disagree that there should be a stage/music from this series.)
7. Sin & Punishment (While I'm not to keen on Saki getting a playable character spot, there really should be a stage based around the original game's fight against the Volunteer fleet)
8. Super Mario Bros 3 (Just a stage here. Like OoT this highly praised game hasn't gotten a real stage of its own)
9. Super Mario Galaxy (This is pretty much a given. There's no way it won't show up in SSB4, and it only wasn't in because it was developed too close to the time SSBB was.)
10. Metroid Prime 3 (Same as Galaxy, though it isn't as much of a shoe-in for content, given Other M)

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I feel like you're just baiting me now... and practically everybody beats Waluigi... :laugh:
<.<
>.>

uuuuhhhhhhhh.
*Ninja Star*

Seriously though, you are right. Waluigi is beaten out by most other characters in the series.

Masked Link, Agahnim, King of Red Lions, Linebeck, all were significant and popular characters but they never cameod again. Besides, even if he did there would still be more chance for him.
uh. So you think Wolf Link has more chance then all the ones you listed?

Tacel

Smash Lord
I think Fierce Deity Link would have been a better Final Smash for Young Link is he was brought back.

UberMario

Smash Master
It's funny how there's a character list on practically every page, yet not a single person is giving them movesets (which makes the characters more convincing).

Tacel

Smash Lord
It's funny how there's a character list on practically every page, yet not a single person is giving them movesets (which makes the characters more convincing).
I've been thinking about making a MYM for Masked Link.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Well, there is a make your move thread for that. so we do not post them here.
If I had to, I could post movesets for every character I suggest.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
drag0nscythe said:
<.<
>.>

uuuuhhhhhhhh.
*Ninja Star*

Seriously though, you are right. Waluigi is beaten out by most other characters in the series.
I would say that as far as new Mario reps go, it looks like this:
1) Bowser Jr: Practically a lock.
2) Paper Mario: Nobody cares that he technically is Mario when he has his own series and boundless moveset potential.
3) Dr. Mario: Second only to Lip as a rep of Nintendo's puzzlers, Dr. Mario shouldn't have been cut from Brawl. Unfortunately, since he was cut once he is unlikely to return.
4) Toad: Used to be an extremely important character to the Mario series, but now is a generic race. He *may* be revived by NSMB Wii but that's sort of a spinoff.
5) Waluigi: Nobody really likes this character spontaneously generated to give Wario a tennis partner.
6) Geno: Go away, fanboys, Super Mario RPG is one game that never sold very well and is only remembered on message boards. The Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series outclasses it.
*flameshield*

uh. So you think Wolf Link has more chance then all the ones you listed?
What are you saying? Of course not.

Well, there is a make your move thread for that. so we do not post them here.
If I had to, I could post movesets for every character I suggest.
Make Your Move is not for realistic movesets. Look at MW's K.Rool, Kupa's Bowser Jr. or my Tingle to see what happens when a contender is given a MYM set up to the standards.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In addition to the games Pieman mentioned, as well as DKC, I expect Bowser's Inside Story to get some representation. Sakurai polls people about the music they want, so I have no doubt in my mind that the Final Boss music from that game will appear somewhere.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I would say that as far as new Mario reps go, it looks like this:
1) Bowser Jr: Practically a lock.
2) Paper Mario: Nobody cares that he technically is Mario when he has his own series and boundless moveset potential.
3) Toad: Used to be an extremely important character to the Mario series, but now is a generic race. He *may* be revived by NSMB Wii but that's sort of a spinoff.
4) Waluigi: Nobody really likes this character spontaneously generated to give Wario a tennis partner.
5) Geno: Go away, fanboys, Super Mario RPG is one game that never sold very well and is only remembered on message boards. The Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series outclasses it.
*flameshield*
fixed. Dr. M will only return as a costume now if he gets the chance.

What are you saying? Of course not.
Could you clarify your statement then. It was confusing slightly.

Make Your Move is not for realistic movesets. Look at MW's K.Rool, Kupa's Bowser Jr. or my Tingle to see what happens when a contender is given a MYM set up to the standards.
So that is why my movesets died and did so poorly. I always stayed within the confines of the game and tried to be as realistic as possible (even though my explanations could have been a little better.)

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
drag0nscythe said:
fixed. Dr. M will only return as a costume now if he gets the chance.
I suppose so. I think that he would still make for a decent option, but Paper Mario will get in over him and three Marios is a little much (but two Marios isn't. ;)).

Could you clarify your statement then. It was confusing slightly.
I meant that there have been many popular characters in the Zelda series, like Masked Link, Agahnim and KoRL who never even returned as a cameo. It's unlikely that Wolf Link will looking back at them.

So that is why my movesets died and did so poorly. I always stayed within the confines of the game and tried to be as realistic as possible (even though my explanations could have been a little better.)
They were great as realistic movesets, but the problem was that MYM is not realistic at all. It can be pretty confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom