• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fourth and final community vote about Meta Knight.

Should Meta Knight be banned from competitive Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Also, I kind of raise an eyebrow at your definition of succeed. If anything, "succeeding" is getting first on a regular basis. As Ankoku's thread shows, when you throw in all the tournament results together, the gap between Metaknight to Snake and then to the rest of the cast becomes radically clear.
MK can get a first place on Ankoku's list from Evo and he can get it from the random scrub tourney in Middle Of Nowhere, Idaho. I believe multiple people on both sides have stated the innaccuracy and uselessness of his list for this several times at this point.

I'm not going to address the rest of your post for the moment; Macross Frontier is about a million times more compelling and interesting.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Actually... this kind of points out the opposite. For starters, this shows that Metaknight leaves just about everyone in the dust and has more than double the placings of the second place character when you add up the totals, Snake. Second, look at all who the characters are who have won. Aside from Lucario (who was probably Azen who quit Brawl earlier this year), the other characters who won a major tournament are the closest things that Metaknight has to counters or are already very high ranking (King Dedede and Game and Watch) and even then it was only one win from each of them except Snake. With this being said, it further highlights that in higher levels of competition, you are pretty much forced to beat a high ranking Metaknight in order to win a major tournament. As other people have said, you basically have a game that's centralized around beating one character at the moment. As argued before, Snake owes a decent amount of his success to Metaknight and being the character that goes the closest with him.

Also, I kind of raise an eyebrow at your definition of succeed. If anything, "succeeding" is getting first on a regular basis. As Ankoku's thread shows, when you throw in all the tournament results together, the gap between Metaknight to Snake and then to the rest of the cast becomes radically clear.
The thing is, this isn't just getting top 8 at some random event. This is getting top 8 at a major tournament. You have to beat legitimately good players to do this, period. Even one placement in top 8 is a huge deal for a character. Sure Meta Knight does have a ton more, but a character ever doing this well is a proof of concept. These are good characters; Meta Knight isn't shutting them down (which would make them bad characters) because it's possible for them to succeed anyway. They may not be that popular or have that many amazing players behind them like Meta Knight does, but they can do it and have done it before, in a modern metagame.

I actually don't think that was Azen with Lucario. I actually just checked; here's the tournament in question.

TOURNAMENT: Final Smash V
LINK: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=215531
DATE: January 10th, 2009
LOCALE: Southwest
ENTRANTS: 97
ENTRY: $10.00
1 Lee. (Lucario)
2 Ultimate Razer (Snake)
3 Infinity (Meta Knight)
4 Espy (Sonic)
5 The Jerm (Toon Link)
5 Bye ()
7 Dr. Mario Guy (Wario)
7 LE THIEN (Diddy Kong)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The more I read through this thread the more that I see that both sides belive that the outcome of this decision could greatly hurt the Smash Boards community. I've already stated how I think keeping Metaknight hurts the Brawl community but I'd like to understand the viewpoint of the opposing side better. People constantly use the slippery slope arguement but it's been pointed out by both sides (oddly enough) to be ridiculous and, as I've asked before, don't you think people would be whining about Snake now if that really were as big a problem as Metaknight?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Looks like Lee and Razer split first.

Dang Jerm. Why is Dojo so low on that one?
3 MKs in the top 10 is sorta weird too.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I dont think people will ever complain about snake to that degree due to the fact that despite his blatantly being overpowered, he can be flat out counterpicked and a large majority of his matchup advantages come from sloppy play on his opponent's part.

bobson

Smash Lord
This is the part that terrifies me, because it probably will, and honestly, I've invested a lot of time in this community, made a ton of friends, etc, which is why I'm willing to sit at this thread all day in an attempt to make sure that it doesn't happen.
I think you're overestimating the power of your posts. The outcome's pretty much already decided at this point: the poll will end up giving pro-ban 1-2 votes (3 if someone makes a bunch of alts or says vote yes for nude pics of milktea or something), but 2/3rds won't be reached and Metaknight won't be banned. And then the same people who were *****ing to ban him before will continue to ***** to ban him (very likely now citing "how close it was to 2/3rds"), and we're back to square one.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I updated some old data of mine with modern results. These are the full performances of major tournaments (90+ entrees, and yes this does exclude several tournaments that would have made these numbers look more in my favor so it's not a carefully selected number) in the year 2009 so far of all characters for top 8. The only updates I turned out having to make were factoring in APEX and Genesis which didn't change much actually (mostly giving Snake two more wins), but they're factored in. Note that placements with an asterisk (*) next to them are placements for which the character did not do it alone; these are substantially less interesting than placements for which the character did do it alone.

Code:
Meta Knight:  (1st: 4, 2nd: 6, 3rd: 3, 4th: 3, 5th: 3, 7th: 5, 1st*: 1, 2nd*: 1, 3rd*: 4, 4th*: 5, 5th*: 4, 7th*: 2)
Snake: (1st: 4, 2nd: 2, 4th: 1, 5th: 2, 7th: 2, 1st*: 2, 3rd*: 2, 4th*: 2)
Diddy Kong:  (1st: 1, 2nd: 1, 3rd: 1, 5th: 3, 7th: 3, 4th*: 1, 5th*: 1, 7th*: 1)
Mr. Game & Watch:  (1st: 1, 2nd: 1, 4th: 1, 5th: 1, 7th: 1)
King Dedede:  (1st: 1, 4th: 1, 5th: 4, 7th: 1, 2nd*: 2, 3rd*: 3, 7th*: 1)[B]
Zero Suit Samus: (1st: 1, 5th: 1, 7th: 2, 3rd*: 1, 5th: 1)[/B]
Lucario: (1st: 1, 5th: 1, 3rd*: 1, 4th*: 1, 5th*: 3)
Seven different characters have won major tournaments this year completely by themselves. These would be Meta Knight, Snake, Diddy Kong, Mr. Game & Watch, King Dedede, Zero Suit Samus, and Lucario.
:zerosuitsamus: :cool:

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I think you're overestimating the power of your posts. The outcome's pretty much already decided at this point: the poll will end up giving pro-ban 1-2 votes (3 if someone makes a bunch of alts or says vote yes for nude pics of milktea or something), but 2/3rds won't be reached and Metaknight won't be banned. And then the same people who were *****ing to ban him before will continue to ***** to ban him, and we're back to square one.
If I or anybody else can convince one person not to vote to ban, then I consider my job one done well.

At the very least, I get some post count and enjoyable debate out of it, as well as some good reads.

Sky`

Smash Lord
This is the part that terrifies me, because it probably will, and honestly, I've invested a lot of time in this community, made a ton of friends, etc, which is why I'm willing to sit at this thread all day in an attempt to make sure that it doesn't happen.
You don't have to worry.

People, like me, love this game way to much, to let one character break it apart.

:]

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The aforementioned tournament wasn't even regional level in terms of attendees, we've had locals bigger than that....
My cut-off was 90+ people. You live in a really active region; setting the cut-off higher is basically just disenfranchising a ton of regions (I consider large regionals major tournaments), though indeed your active region was factored in far more than every other one so long as the tournaments were in Ankoku's raw data (that is the reported tournaments were looked at directly; Ankoku's compilation of the data was ignored).

I already disenfranchised my own region. The biggest tournament we've recently held was 87 people, which I sadly wasn't able to attend...

TOURNAMENT: NO KOAST v1
LINK: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6708420
DATE: February 21st, 2009
LOCALE: Midwest
ENTRANTS: 87
ENTRY: $10.00
1 UTD Zac (Mr. Game & Watch)
2 Dr. Mario Guy (Wario/Diddy Kong)
3 Infinity (Meta Knight)
4 KY (Pit/Snake)
5 Holms (Zero Suit Samus/Kirby)
5 8bit (Kirby)
7 Bwett (Yoshi)
7 Dphat (Marth/Meta Knight)

Another first for G&W and points for Yoshi; including this tournament would have been awesome, but it wouldn't be fair to change the standards afterwards.

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
The more I read through this thread the more that I see that both sides belive that the outcome of this decision could greatly hurt the Smash Boards community. I've already stated how I think keeping Metaknight hurts the Brawl community but I'd like to understand the viewpoint of the opposing side better. People constantly use the slippery slope arguement but it's been pointed out by both sides (oddly enough) to be ridiculous and, as I've asked before, don't you think people would be whining about Snake now if that really were as big a problem as Metaknight?
No they wouldnt.
Snake has disadvantages and extremely bad stage.
metaknight has advantages on everyone and only good/impossibly invicible stages.
thats freaking difference.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Ok this is probably my final post in here about MK lol.

He has very debatable match ups vs IC's/Snake. Looses on certain stages to some characters, so all in all it doesn't make sense to ban him....yet.

D

Deleted member

It's quite possible Meta Knight is bannable. Meta Knight has a definitive lead in tournament placings; his recovery is unprecedented, and he is far and away the best character in Brawl. Let's stop the arguing there because we all agree on that - that should not be the focus here. What we should be looking at is the RISKs of this ban situation - ie, the ramifications of what will follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ

Watch this video: Specifically, :51-1:15.

Let's factor RISK into two options. 1 - We ban Meta Knight. 2 - We don't.

1. Say we ban Meta Knight - we run the risk of turning off Meta Knight players to the game (of which there are a lot; possibly decimating the Brawl scene) We also run the risk of being too hasty and realizing he's not actually banworthy. (I doubt this would happen -- however, it's important to note that it is in fact possible.)

However, out of those negatives, comes a large positive risk - the risk of revolutionizing Brawl's metagame.

2. Say we don't ban Meta Knight - we run the risk of playing Meta Knight dittos until the day SSB4 comes out, boring players and regional scenes - dominating Brawl's metagame forever.

Which risk would you rather take?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
It's quite possible Meta Knight is bannable. Meta Knight has a definitive lead in tournament placings; his recovery is unprecedented, and he is far and away the best character in Brawl. Let's stop the arguing there because we all agree on that - that should not be the focus here. What we should be looking at is the RISKs of this ban situation - ie, the ramifications of what will follow.

1. Say we ban Meta Knight - we run the risk of turning off Meta Knight players to the game (of which there are a lot; possibly decimating the Brawl scene) We also run the risk of being too hasty and realizing he's not actually banworthy. (I doubt this would happen -- however, it's important to note that it is in fact possible.)

However, out of those negatives, comes a large positive risk - the risk of revolutionizing Brawl's metagame.

2. Say we don't ban Meta Knight - we run the risk of playing Meta Knight dittos until the day SSB4 comes out, boring players and regional scenes - dominating Brawl's metagame forever.

Seeing as both options run the risk of decimating the Brawl scene and ruining the metagame, your comparison to the climate argument is an inaccurate one.

D

Deleted member

I didn't compare anything to the climate argument, and I'd prefer if you didn't derail this thread with your nonsense.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I didn't compare anything to the climate argument, and I'd prefer if you didn't derail this thread with your nonsense.
But comparing arguments to things that they weren't saying is how discussions go here. All the great debaters do it.

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as both options run the risk of decimating the Brawl scene and ruining the metagame, your comparison to the climate argument is an inaccurate one.
MK is popular for tournaments, not necessarily a beloved character even by his mains. Take a look at the poll.

Marth would not possibly dominate as much as MK, as he is an inferior MK.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The thing is, this isn't just getting top 8 at some random event. This is getting top 8 at a major tournament. You have to beat legitimately good players to do this, period. Even one placement in top 8 is a huge deal for a character. Sure Meta Knight does have a ton more, but a character ever doing this well is a proof of concept. These are good characters; Meta Knight isn't shutting them down (which would make them bad characters) because it's possible for them to succeed anyway. They may not be that popular or have that many amazing players behind them like Meta Knight does, but they can do it and have done it before, in a modern metagame.
To start off with, I'd like to thank you for debating in a controlled manner as most of this thread is people going out for blood. :laugh:

Back on topic, I think the issue here is viability. With Metaknight around, as you showed, only a fraction of the cast really has a chance to win a big tournament. The ones that did have more rankings, as I said, were pretty much the closest things to counters that Metaknight has in the game (and still only getting one win aside from Snake) with King Dedede and Mr. Game and Watch taking away one win each but not ranking very much beyond that.

Banning Metaknight goes against competitive standards. I fully understand that. I fully understand that he is not broken but he can't truly be counterpicked. Despite this, my issue is the "health" of this game. Personally, I don't see this game as healthy when compared to other popular fighting games. I see people always complaining about it and even noteworthy players leaving because they are sick of putting up with it. I don't think anyone is here to prove that a certain side doesn't love the game. If you ask me, people who help make things like Brawl+ and BBrawl show their support towards this game by not fully giving up on it and making a reason for them to continue playing it.

The main issue that people have is being "gayed" to death in this game. Why not ban jab locks? The counterpick system. Why not ban certain chain grabs and infinites? The counterpick system. Why not ban certain forms of camping? The counterpick system. That's when we get to Metaknight, the only "gay" thing in this game that (sometimes literally) sidesteps the counterpick system. In a game that's plagued with so many bad elements, I honestly believe that something has to give in order to greatly increase the game's life span.

Unlike most other popular fighting games, Brawl is very shallow and, even after only about a year and a half, most character's metagames have slowed to a crawl as it is or are focused on beating one or two characters. You have a game that doesn't really offer anything and each tournament sort of produces more of the same thing. My main concern is that, under the ways things are currently going, Brawl's offline appeal won't last as long as Melee; something's got to give to keep this game alive and interesting for more than a few of the top tier characters. Despite the gap between Metaknight and Snake being better now than, say, October, it is well noted that there as a been an influx of Metaknight players. Basically, people are flooding the game with the best character and, as previously mentioned, he can't truly be counterpicked so, even if they aren't that great, that gives those players a slight edge that other characters don't have. We've all heard the stereotypes that Brawl tournaments are pretty much just Metaknights and Snakes but how long will it be until this is no longer a gross hyperbole? As I said, with other fighting games, this wouldn't be a problem but with a shallow fighting game like Brawl, this is a very serious problem and, as a community, I believe we should cut the closest thing that goes against the competitive standard to keep this game alive in the long run.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323

it's an interesting argument. though, i'd wager that the you don't actually risk decimating the brawl scene if you ban MK. Do we have some kind of figure to reference which gives us an idea of the spread of mains? Some kind of Brawl Census would be nice right about here.

So, if I adjust your argument to say that the magnitude of the risk taken in Banning MK is less than the risk of keeping him, then by this combined logic, you should ban.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
OK, pardon me, semantics smartass. You used the same method as in the video you just linked, that is to say, the risk vs reward analysis, but instead using not the realistics but the worst-case scenarios.

The worst case scenario un the case of banning MK is that all MK players and those upset with the ban quit the scene, decimating it, while simultaneously the metagame crumples without MK there. That's the worst case for option A.

If we don't ban him, we run the risk of having everybody who wanted him banned leaving the scene, decimating it, and the metagame crumpling because he's a part of it. That's the worst case for option B.

The reason I say you're using a comparison to the video is because his conclusion is based on the fact that the risk taken with option B is everything and then some from option A. Your post, when properly examined with the method you're using, presents two options with exactly the same risk.

Only accuse me of being a troll and derailing **** when you actually understand what you're trying to reference and imitate.

But comparing arguments to things that they weren't saying is how discussions go here. All the great debaters do it.
Given how intelligent you generally are, I would expect you to watch the entire video he linked and then read his post in the context of the method he was emulating. I guess that expectation was set to high in this case.

cutter

Smash Champion
Gentlemens Rule...

Talk to the player about banning infinites basically. You can agree to not have it used during your set.
Sorry, but the Gentlemen's Rule doesn't make sense at all.

Why wouldn't your opponent want to ban you from doing infinites? It is strictly better for them to always keep you from doing infinites, thus defeating the purpose of having the Gentlemen's Rule.

D

Deleted member

Mmhm. Anyway, both options run the risk of having a stagnate metagame. Only one turns it on its head.

The time is now to ban Meta Knight. I don't play Brawl, but I think you guys would be making a colossal mistake if you didn't act now.

The whole idea of how the Smash Back Room makes our rules is pretty ****ing stupid if you ask me. We didn't elect you guys, so if you want this to be democratic, you had better adhere to the poll results. (yes...all FOUR of them.)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
The whole idea of how the Smash Back Room makes our rules is pretty ****ing stupid if you ask me. We didn't elect you guys, so if you want this to be democratic, you had better adhere to the poll results. (yes...all FOUR of them.)
First, people are stupid, and thus what they say doesn't necessarily matter.

Second, none of the four polls had enough of a margin of difference to say, statistically speaking, that they are significantly different from a 50/50 outcome.

D

Deleted member

OK, pardon me, semantics smartass. You used the same method as in the video you just linked, that is to say, the risk vs reward analysis, but instead using not the realistics but the worst-case scenarios.

The worst case scenario un the case of banning MK is that all MK players and those upset with the ban quit the scene, decimating it, while simultaneously the metagame crumples without MK there. That's the worst case for option A.

If we don't ban him, we run the risk of having everybody who wanted him banned leaving the scene, decimating it, and the metagame crumpling because he's a part of it. That's the worst case for option B.

The reason I say you're using a comparison to the video is because his conclusion is based on the fact that the risk taken with option B is everything and then some from option A. Your post, when properly examined with the method you're using, presents two options with exactly the same risk.

Only accuse me of being a troll and derailing **** when you actually understand what you're trying to reference and imitate.

Given how intelligent you generally are, I would expect you to watch the entire video he linked and then read his post in the context of the method he was emulating. I guess that expectation was set to high in this case.
Throttle back a little - what I said was not semantics. This entire thread is bogged down with ridiculous strawmans, so forgive me if I'm a little hasty to defend my initial argument. I'm not emulating the video I presented. Risk management arguments are very old indeed.

Second, none of the four polls had enough of a margin of difference to say, statistically speaking, that they are significantly different from a 50/50 outcome.
If I may, the US Presidential elections have been, if I recall correctly, within ~5% or so.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Throttle back a little - what I said was not semantics. This entire thread is bogged down with ridiculous strawmans, so forgive me if I'm a little hasty to defend my initial argument. I'm not emulating the video I presented. Risk management arguments are very old indeed.
You'll have to pardon me, then, because the thread is also full of people dismissing counter-arguments as fallacies when they aren't, and it's tiring.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Will never happen. There are people like HAZE, Ally. And I guess you haven't seen the fanboy sig, "I fight for my I will never ever play MK" - Neo
And they have the skills to keep up.

Seriously, this poll was a stupid idea. It means nothing because most of the people, myself included, don't know nearly enough about playing and actually competing on a high level against MKs. The result will be completely skewed with ill-informed opinions/bias. Not like it'll make a difference though...

D

Deleted member

Oh. Excuse me for not following the pink-name rules. You still should be able to understand the point...
I don't. Your premise is invalid. I repeat, you aren't infallible. Don't draw conclusions on the future when you have no possible way of knowing the outcomes.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Most of the people that want Meta Knight banned aren't even in the competitive scene, because if they were, they would understand the challenge of having to bring your own skill up in order to beat a Meta Knight mainer, like M2k or Tyrant, both of which Fiction beat on the same day, with Wario. (Yet, he still wants to ban him, weird...)

Taking out Meta Knight would cause a decay in the competitive scene, due to Snake being the next best to play with, until he gets arthritis from tilting so much. Seriously, why would you want to ban a light-weight character, such as Meta Knight, when you have a heavy character like Snake that can do tilts that are stronger than ROBs smash attacks (lol).

The logic behind wanting Meta Knight banned, competitively will never have sensible reason.

People only want to ban Meta Knight for his popularity, not him as a character. They want ban him, so that M2k or any other professional Meta Knight mainer has to get another character, and win tourneys until that one gets too popular, and then ban him. Hell, Ally's going to get Snake banned, the way he's going.

Banning is pointless, and only serves to destroy the fabric of the game.

"Hate the player, not the game."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom