• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 6 - Nothing Gold can Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
WTF?! WHAT IS WITH EVERYONE AND TAKING MY SETS?! I mean, first Scyther and now Feraligatr? Those have both been planned for a while now >_> What's next? Is Plorf gonna come out and say he's doing Nappa? Or is one of Akiak's secret sets Barry the Chopper?!

Ugh. This is starting to **** me off....
I don't mind if you make Scyther too...
as long as it's significantly worse than mine. Just Kidding.
If you don't want to, you can just post it, with adjustments, for MYM 7. Then you can see what I did and make sure it's better.

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
I'm okay with Scyther, cause mine will be a dual set, and so he'll have to make up for Scizor's lack of speed and other things, which your version won't. And plus, yeah, it's for MYM7, so I'll have plenty of time to think of ways to de-clone his moveset.

But Feraligatr......well, I guess it all depends on who posts it first, as to which will be the clone. And it'll probably be JOE!, as I have to wait for everyone else to finish theirs too, and I really don't want to rush anyone.

So anyone working on Silver with me, don't worry. There's a LOT of time to work on the mon. As of now....just concentrate on your own sets. I don't especially care when Silver gets posted, just sometime before the end of the contest.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Scizor isn't a fast Pokemon. The only difference between Scyther and Scizor is that Scizor is Steel Type instead of flying, and has 20 more attack and defense, but 40 less speed. Also, they learn a few different moves.

Several Pokemon are slower than their previous evolutions: Magnezone, Honchkrow are two other examples I can think of.

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
How did you not know that, Khold? Also... Scyther only has 105 Speed. In the Pokemon world, that's a lot, but definitely not the best. I mean, there's Ninjask, Electrode, Jolteon and Espeon, Aerodactal, Crobat, Swellow, Weavile, Dugtrio, Alakazam, Sceptile, Starmie, Sneasel, Floatzel, Ambipom, Purugly, Gengar, Tauros, Jumpluff, Frosslass, and Infernape, which are all faster than Scyther. And that's not counting any legendary pokemon, either.

And there are a LOT of Pokemon that are slower than their pre-evolutions, btw. Most of these are from D/P/PT, but there are a few exceptions.

Also...that 105 means that Scizor has 65 Speed, which, really, is not all that great.

JOE!

Smash Hero
But Feraligatr......well, I guess it all depends on who posts it first, as to which will be the clone. And it'll probably be JOE!, as I have to wait for everyone else to finish theirs too, and I really don't want to rush anyone.
i still have half of Quilava to go (finished Chikorita, yay :p) and essentially have a rough idea of Fer's specials...

Id be surprised if they turn out similar aside from maybe a tilt or something...
(how can they be clones when neither had knowledge of the other's?)

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Abomasnow: It is pretty god
Darth, you shouldn't have to know why. You need to sig this. :laugh:

Also, just to make this message less spammish, my top priorities for this contest are Regice (of the Regis jointset) (which will probably be my first endeavor to be released), Snake Man, and XANA.

If anyone wants to do these characters, have at it. I probably won't finish any of them, anyway.

Smady

Smash Master
Hades: As this is a remake, there isn't too much to comment on. I'm not sure exactly what you've changed, but it still stands as one of your best and the new coat of paint only re-affirms this. I love the organisation of the thing, especially the colouring [although making the percents red may have been a step too far] and there are tonnes of awesome images. Generally, I like the layout of moves and it's good considering its length as well – it keeps your attention thoroughly. Onto the moveset itself, I’ve always been a fan of this one. It, along with Scar, really makes you the king of Disney movesets. The grab is one of my favourites ever, as is the idea for the tether and the way that Hades manoeuvres is not only extremely fitting, but also quite unique.

A couple of things I don’t like, though, are one of the mechanics and the seemingly obligatory Kirby special. The mechanic in question is obviously the “hot-headed” thing; it doesn’t seem necessary and I’m not sure if it is a worthy addition to the set considering it’s totally inverted and I think would work better without percents being involved at all. The Kirby special is definitely one of the weaker ones, it’s not bad as specials go, but it does seem kind of outdated and unfitting for Hades – I don’t remember him stealing powers ever. In all, it’s still a radical moveset, yet its remake status probably gives it only a slight chance in the contest. I hope it does well in that regard and more people read as it’s worth the time, then and now. :)

Shadow the Hedgehog:
This has to be a joke moveset, but I just want to highlight how awful this is. Author, if you’re serious, please read other movesets. This one is abysmal and without a lick of respite for how awful it is, unlike some early newcomer sets.

Abomasnow:
Not bad for one of my more favoured fourth-generation Pokémon. The amount of effort you’ve put into the colouring of the set is amazing, but it’s not needed. The neutral and down special are really good and I love how defensive this makes President Aboma, but the others aren’t so good. The rest of the moveset is more like uninteresting moves with good inter- or after-effects. Onto the final smash and one sees the core of the problem, when what should be a very special move is given little attention [it’s basically like the neutral special]. Thus, the playstyle suffers a lot. If you stick to ideas like in the neutral and down special in future sets, you’ll do very well. Abomasnow as a purely defensive, healing character is extremely appealing and you’d do well to follow on these kinds of ideas, as without them, your playstyles will suffer dramatically. To sum up, a lot of the moves don’t seem particularly special… Remember, they don’t need to be absolutely amazing; they just have to be co-efficient with the others. I consider this one of your best so far.

And that’s that. Not too many new movesets this week, really.

Darkurai

Smash Master

Shadow the Hedgehog:
This has to be a joke moveset, but I just want to highlight how awful this is. Author, if you’re serious, please read other movesets. This one is abysmal and without a lick of respite for how awful it is, unlike some early newcomer sets.
I just want to show everyone exactly where MYM has gone.

It was originally started for fun. Then it evolved into the huge, detailed thing it is today. I'm not saying this is bad, but we can't forget the core essence of what MYM was originally: fun.

So one day, a poor kid comes in and tried to make a moveset for fun, and gets immediately insulted to hell and back.

Just saying.

Smady

Smash Master
I just want to show everyone exactly where MYM has gone.

It was originally started for fun. Then it evolved into the huge, detailed thing it is today. I'm not saying this is bad, but we can't forget the core essence of what MYM was originally: fun.

So one day, a poor kid comes in and tried to make a moveset for fun, and gets immediately insulted to hell and back.

Just saying.
Most likely, some kid came in a year ago and that day decided to post a joke moveset using a different account.

If you read it, you see zero effort has been put into it, so I doubt it was very fun to make. Honestly, even for MYM1, that was a bad one. I think part of the fun is indeed trying to improve or better yourself, so I don't see criticism ever as a bad thing.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to ask a stylistic question about Stats, and see how the community thinks.

My first set, Magmortar, had a stat for everything, from the second jump to the crouch. Daroach, Saren, and Abomasnow each had less and less stats though, as I tried to consolidate them from many small figures into one rounded figure about several aspects.

My question is: When it comes to stats, is it more the merrier, or less is more? I personally prefer few stats with ample explanation of the values, but what does the rest of MYM think?

Edit @ SmashDaddy: Thanks for the comments on Abomasnow, I'm glad you think I've done nothing but improve so far. I actually wasn't going for a strictly defensive playstyle, but a more passive playstyle that mixed in very heavy KO moves, basically the opposite of a damage racker, with the snow concept. I wanted Abomasnow to be a slow and steady fighter with an attitude, basically. I can definitely see what you mean about making more of my moves directly tie into concepts instead of inter-effects, and I'll take that into account for my next set.

My next set I'm strongly considering, Vita, I will try to intermix this.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Most likely, some kid came in a year ago and that day decided to post a joke moveset using a different account.

If you read it, you see zero effort has been put into it, so I doubt it was very fun to make. Honestly, even for MYM1, that was a bad one. I think part of the fun is indeed trying to improve or better yourself, so I don't see criticism ever as a bad thing.
I didn't really see that as criticism, considering you never actually said what was wrong with it, just that it was an abysmal piece of awful.

But okay.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
darth meanie said:
My question is: When it comes to stats, is it more the merrier, or less is more? I personally prefer few stats with ample explanation of the values, but what does the rest of MYM think?
As for stats, I think it's best to do basic attack properties like power and range, other basic things like movement speed and recovery, maybe aerial DI, and leave it at that. In my opinion, stats for things like crouching and crawling are better off described in the animations section.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
There's a moveset I'm working on that I want people to critique when it's finished, but I don't want to submit it until MYM7... What should I do?

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Oh, sorry. :laugh:

You can probably PM it to a couple of people, particularly the judges of the contest.

Darkurai

Smash Master
...why don't you want to submit it until MYM7? MYM6 is still pretty new.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
...why don't you want to submit it until MYM7? MYM6 is still pretty new.
Because I already have a moveset in MYM6. I'm trying to get a good moveset to submit in the next one, because I kinda have trouble getting good ideas.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Because I already have a moveset in MYM6. I'm trying to get a good moveset to submit in the next one, because I kinda have trouble getting good ideas.
Multiple movesets per person are allowed; you're not limited to submitting just one.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Multiple movesets per person are allowed; you're not limited to submitting just one.
I know that. What I'm saying is that I'm worried I won't be able to think of anything to submit to MYM7 if I submit this one here. Like I said, coming up with ideas isn't exactly my strength.

Smady

Smash Master
I didn't really see that as criticism, considering you never actually said what was wrong with it, just that it was an abysmal piece of awful.

But okay.
My advice was to look at other movesets as, critically, I find the moveset beyond reproach. Besides which, the author probably won't post again - if he does, I'll reply seriously. I'm still in the mind that he is an alternate account for a troll.

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
I know that. What I'm saying is that I'm worried I won't be able to think of anything to submit to MYM7 if I submit this one here. Like I said, coming up with ideas isn't exactly my strength.
What's wrong with not having one for 7? Afraid that people say you skipped or something? Not really a big deal. At least to me. :ohwell:

Besides what you said, the only other reason I can think of is that you really want to make it a good moveset, so you'll take your time to keep improving it...
If you persist with your previous reason...you might as well do it to make it a lot better.

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
I want to enter thisss~ I caught the tail-end of MYM5 and couldn't wait for 6. So I don't want to miss it again.

Just to get my feet wet... any tips for a first-timer? I'm thinking of doing a fancy interactive Flash moveset for my OC, Peppermint, and I wanna make sure I have all my ducks in a row before delving in. ^^

n88

Smash Lord
I want to enter thisss~ I caught the tail-end of MYM5 and couldn't wait for 6. So I don't want to miss it again.

Just to get my feet wet... any tips for a first-timer? I'm thinking of doing a fancy interactive Flash moveset for my OC, Peppermint, and I wanna make sure I have all my ducks in a row before delving in. ^^
I recomend not hitting the ducks you lined up as you dive in. Ducks can become seriously alrmed when hit by a diver, and may poop on you, peck you to death, etc.

On a more serious note, try to make sure your attacks are creative and unique. The last thing you want to do is make an actual realistic moveset. Also, pay attention to layout. I recomend reading other movesets (Probably not mine) to get a good idea of how your layout should be, as well as the amount of detail you need in your attack descriptions.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman

Organization and Creativity are pretty much everything. Good organization and writing style gets people to pay attention to it, and if even one move doesn't ooze creativity, you're going to get lambasted for it.

Read some other sets, particularly the high scoring ones from MYM5 for ideas. There's a link in the OP for the palette, you can find them there.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
...and if even one move doesn't ooze creativity, you're going to get lambasted for it.
I'm gonna say right now that this is incorrect.

Acid Seaforce's special moves were hardly"oozing creativity". In fact, despite being specials, they were some of the least creative moves in the set!

Acid Seaforce won MYM5.

I don't think I've ever seen a moveset be harshly criticized for one or two "uncreative" moves. Quite the contray, sometimes the more "basic" moves are praised because they are so fitting to the character and their playstyle! It's only when there's little to no creativity in a moveset that I see them get flamed.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Look high and low for the top 50 in MYM5 palette, the quality should be enough to be at today's standard.
It's kind of hard for a individual person to actually give advice, they give it through the moveset. Keep an eye out for special effects.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna say right now that this is incorrect.

Acid Seaforce's special moves were hardly"oozing creativity". In fact, despite being specials, they were some of the least creative moves in the set!

Acid Seaforce won MYM5.

I don't think I've ever seen a moveset be harshly criticized for one or two "uncreative" moves. Quite the contray, sometimes the more "basic" moves are praised because they are so fitting to the character and their playstyle! It's only when there's little to no creativity in a moveset that I see them get flamed.
I know what you mean, and I was of course speaking in hyperbole (sarcasm is difficult to detect over the internet). Still though, if many moves ooze creativity, and one is rather bland, focus tends to be on that move : (see every other post on K. Rool's Kangaskhan mentioning the Uair).

On another note, I'm going to be gone for the majority of this week up in the mountains, so a heads up. Not that anyone likely cares, but still.

Darkurai

Smash Master
My advice was to look at other movesets as, critically, I find the moveset beyond reproach. Besides which, the author probably won't post again - if he does, I'll reply seriously. I'm still in the mind that he is an alternate account for a troll.
I certainly hope this belief is based on other threads.

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
I recomend not hitting the ducks you lined up as you dive in. Ducks can become seriously alrmed when hit by a diver, and may poop on you, peck you to death, etc.

On a more serious note, try to make sure your attacks are creative and unique. The last thing you want to do is make an actual realistic moveset. Also, pay attention to layout. I recomend reading other movesets (Probably not mine) to get a good idea of how your layout should be, as well as the amount of detail you need in your attack descriptions.
:O But I wanted to squish them!

Alright, I'll do some reading. Thanks for the advice guys! I'll be around~

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Okay, guys. After a lot of careful discussion, the powers that be have crafted a list. This is a definitive list of movesets, representing the very best in quality as well as giving you a complete look at the history of Make Your Move. This is the roster we would submit to Sakurai for a theoretical SSBMYM. Bear in mind that this list is not set in stone, and will change as time goes by and new movesets are submitted. As it is now, we feel it best represents all that MYM has to offer, and reading all of these movesets will have given you a great understanding of what makes a good moveset.

Enjoy!

THE MOVESETS OF MYM
A DEFINITIVE ROSTER: HISTORY AND QUALITY

-- MYM 1.0 --

Furret / Fawriel
MYM 1 was marked by a very relaxed atmosphere. There was little to no sense of competition. Fawriel, however, stood out from the crowd with his simple, readable, fun movesets, like this one. He was also, of course, MYM's founder, and formulated the Infinite Sakurai Theorem. He left MYM in the hands of another and has never visited it since.

~~ MYM 2.0 ~~

Aqua Teen Hunger Force / El Duderino
MYM 2 was much like the first MYM, except that it was the first one that started to have what you'd call "regulars". Its champion set was Paper Mario, but that set is largely forgettable and won on the basis of character bias; this set for an obscure group of characters placed second. Note the great improvement this set is over Furret, especially in terms of detail. El Duderino himself disappeared soon after the end of MYM 2.0.

(( MYM 3.0 ))

Dracula / Chief Mendez
Dracula is probably the most famous and influential moveset in the history of MYM. It was a giant leap forward for its creator, Mendez, who was already becoming a legend based off of his intelligent posting, creative movesets, and brilliant set organization. Dracula's creativity was unsurpassed at the time he was posted. He singlehandedly caused the rest of MYM to take heed and step up their games, and marked the point that "just for fun" became a real contest. Dracula himself is still a shining beacon of simplicity working out and visual appeal.

Cervantes / MasterWarlord
Warlord, like Mendez, was a rising star. He replied to Dracula with a string of Soul Calibur movesets that oozed creativity and were heavy on special mechanics, on detail, and on extras. The last of these was Cervantes. He was immediately raised up on a pedestal, right next to Dracula, and seemed the obvious runner-up.

Donna / Junahu
Junahu's Donna was the first set that proved that even an original character - or OC - had the potential to rake in a lot of votes. He also showed that you didn't have to be a big name in MYM to place highly, as Donna's 4th place medal showed. Junahu posted fairly little and was more or less an unknown when he posted her. Today, of course, he's one of the most lauded MYMers around.

The Headless Horseman / KingK.Rool
The Headless Horseman was the last moveset posted in MYM 3.0, and was posted on the last day, which just happened to be Halloween. This move made the moveset's reception all the greater, and it placed 3rd on the back of its organization, creativity, and intriguing mechanic. K.Rool had taken inspiration from Mendez and Warlord, and emphasized readability and overall playstyle in his later MYM 3.0 movesets.

«« MYM 4 »»

Chef Kawasaki / KingK.Rool
Kawasaki placed first in MYM 4 on the basis of a massive hype campaign. He also featured a unique, interactive mechanic, light, approachable organization, and nary a generic attack to be found. In recent times, some MYMers look back at him less than fondly, but he stood out then and now as a more digestable moveset in an overdetailed period.

Mr Shine and Mr Bright / SirKibble
Kibble had been an MYMing stalwart since MYM 2.0, but it wasn't until MYM 4 that he stepped up his game and proved that he was one of the best. He quickly became one of the most popular and acclaimed moveset makers, as, quite apart from his great creativity and really easy reading style, he had always been one of the most likable regulars. The idea of him making excellent sets like this - a two-in-one character that just grips you and won't let go - was very appealing to the average MYMer.

Simirror / agidius
Simirror's one of those sets that you can read any number of times and still find something new each time. He was incredibly true to his Kirby-based character, had the kind of playstyle that could fit into an actual Smash game without missing a beat, and was the first moveset based around defensive magic. This was a milestone in organization, creativity, and so much else, and cemented agidius as one of the MYMers who was changing with the times.

Mach Rider / Chief Mendez
Mendez was ever present, now as an authority figure, and he soon came out with this brilliant moveset. Sadly, his brilliant organization is no longer all there; the moveset has fallen into disrepair since Mendez's departure. The breathtaking mechanic, however, implementing the character's motorcycle directly into his moveset, is still there and just as compelling as ever.

Super Star Helpers / SirKibble
Along with Shine and Bright, this was Kibble's other major offering to his favorite series. This mighty four-character moveset had been in the works for a good two months, and its arrival did not disappoint, as it proved to have four entirely fascinating characters, each with styles that would be utterly unique, from the bomb-heavy Poppy Bro to the grab-obsessed Bugsy. This was the set that first cemented Kibble as a great moveset maker, although it wouldn't place as highly as Shine and Bright (see above).

Black Doom / Hyper_Ridley
Another rising presence in the MYM world, Hyper_Ridley turned in a batch of excellent movesets in MYM 3.0 but never really took off until MYM 4. Black Doom was his opus, an eclectic character based around making your own playstyle through a batch of attacks that did things nobody else had ever thought of. The number of interactions HR had hidden between the lines was unparallelled at the time, and is a trademark that continued in his later sets.

Shanoa / MarthTrinity
Shanoa was the breakthrough set from one of the most reliable and stalwart MYMers, MarthTrinity. Active since MYM 2, it took him a while to get the recognition he deserves, and he is still brutally underrated to this day for his unobtrusive, less-than-flashy movesets. However, his work has never been anything short of excellent, and most especially in Shanoa, whose greatest claim to fame was the best yet implementation of an attack with effects that vary depending on the enemy character. Shanoa remains a great read and an immersion into the mind of its creator.

Cortez / Hyper_Ridley and goldwyvern
HR's other excellent set of the contest, along with Black Doom, was the first truly effective and successful "joint set", a moveset that resulted from the collaboration of multiple moveset makers. When he teamed up with a relatively maligned MYMer, they crafted this monstrosity, who boasts a versatile, clever playstyle, a brilliantly fitting mechanic, and HR's trademark clinical writing style.

Undead Hero / dancingfrogman
Undead Hero has a rather heavy writing style, as with all of dancingfrogman's sets. Here was an MYMer who had been popular and successful since MYM 2, but whose overdetail only got worse with the rest of the movesets in MYM 4, resulting in the majority of MYMers overlooking his brilliantly creative ideas that never quite seemed too outrageous to work. Undead Hero was - and is still often considered - his best work, despite being for such an obscure character. In fact, MYM 4 can be considered the golden age of DFM, as overdetailed sets were quite the norm and so his creativity was more noticed in general.

Kefka / Spadefox
Kefka is laden with Final Fantasy references, is positively bubbling with creativity, and perfectly captures the spirit of a manic clown. Spadefox brought to him his simple - but obscenely effective - organization and succinct descriptions; he, like frogman, had been a faithful MYMer who broke through for the first time in MYM 4. Kefka was only one in a long chain of powerful entries, and served as a welcome respite to the era of overdetail.

Pleinair / Emergency
Pleinair and her creator represent an MYMing success story. The relatively unknown emergency slipped onto the scene with this one, rather slight and unobtrusive moveset, and his hard work was immediately recognized, despite his not being one of the bigger names in the thread. Pleinair would go on to place in the Top 20, and remains a beautifully organized moveset that marries simplicity to creativity. Truly a charming read, and it goes to show how almost anyone can "go the distance".

Advance Army / SirKibble
As the thread he had started entered its last days, Kibble took everyone by surprise with this powerhouse moveset with the amazing playstyle and the patented readability. With it, he proved once and for all that he had become one of the "Big 3", as they were not-so-affectionately dubbed by those that cried bias - MasterWarlord, KingK.Rool, and SirKibble.

Deoxys / Chief Mendez
By the end of MYM 4, Mendez had begun to lose interest in Make Your Move. This set, posted around the halfway mark, was one he had been prodded into posting, as he had never been completely satisfied with it; however, its organization, friendly level of detail, and simplistic but interesting concepts made for an easy, inviting read, and it proved just as popular as his earlier movesets. Mendez's departure is still remembered as one of the greatest losses MYM has suffered; his friendly, intelligent demeanour and air of easy authority have never quite been matched since.

[[ MYM 5 ]]

Acid Seaforce / Hyper_Ridley and Spadefox
The ultimate joint set between two of the closest friends in MYM, Acid Seaforce had it all, quite simply; a beautiful do-it-yourself playstyle, individual moves that were oozing uniqueness, a charming organization, perfect balance, and a writing style that simply begged to be read. It ended up narrowly winning the whole contest. It was only one of HR's numerous and indelible contributions to MYM 5, but Spadefox left not long after it, after a string of nasty arguments that resulted in him simply throwing up his arms and walking away.

Arthas / Chris Lionheart
After a tumultuous relationship with MYM that involved getting appointed and later booted from the authority figures, Chris redeemed himself with a moveset that took everyone by surprise. Arthas was the first "summons" character, and his mechanic was so simple - but so interesting - that Arthas rode the wave all the way to the Top 50, much later. The fact that he didn't quite make Top 10 is an injustice that can only be explained by how early he was posted. Chris would make many other excellent MYM 5 movesets, and handily regained his spot among the authorities.

Lemmy Koopa / Hyper_Ridley
HR's most popular moveset of the contest after Acid Seaforce (see above), this trap-based character revolves around turning the stage into a circus sideshow, and a real nightmare for any foe. His creativity and significance can't be overstated; he was one of the movesets that prodded forth the playstyle movement (see Alphonse).

Ryuk / MasterWarlord
MasterWarlord, who turned in a number of fascinating movesets in MYM 4 - none of which stood out from the others in any significant way - and a number more in early MYM 5, eventually came out with this beast, whose unique concept and truth to the source material is almost unparallelled. This moveset embodies a rapidly emerging trend in movesets; the focus on an overall feel, a flow to the character's attacks, over the creativity of individual attacks. This "playstyle movement" would permanently change the way movesets were made and evaluated, and rather like the detail movement of late MYM 3.0 and MYM 4, was spearheaded by Warlord.

Sakurai / TheSundanceKid
Sakurai is as random as movesets get, spitting in the face of the playstyle movement and getting away with it. His creator, Sundance, a well-liked MYMer regularly voted as Funniest Poster, pulled out every trick in his bag of tricks for a moveset that is more "Meme Man" than Masahiro Sakurai himself. This one deserves special recognition, if only for being as enjoyable an experience as any other moveset ever made.

Metal Man / Plorf
Along with Lemmy Koopa (see above) and The Kid (from agidius), Metal Man is often considered one of the old trap classics. Plorf's emphasis on detail and extras sets him apart from the more streamlined mood of MYM 5, but his truth to the subject matter and developped playstyle kept him from being coined a relic. A relatively new addition to MYM, he proved a famous procrastinator; SirKibble agreed to work on a joint set with him just to get him to start working and thinking. The result was Heat Man, and indeed, Metal Man followed soon after.

Alphonse/ MasterWarlord
Soon after Ryuk, Warlord posted his most popular moveset yet, the mighty Alphonse. With myriad move interactions and the definitive playstyle, he was an easy favorite to win the whole contest, but ultimately placed third, marking Warlord's worst showing in an MYM yet, as he had placed second in both MYM 3.0 and 4 - however, he lost here by a single vote in the tight top 10, making this in point of fact the closest he has ever come to victory. Al remains one of his best works and one of the most stimulating movesets ever made.

Miracle Matter / KingK.Rool
After his win in MYM 4, K.Rool almost rendered Kawasaki obsolete with several lauded movesets, the most popular of which was Miracle Matter, who had an easily imagined (if difficultly put into use) mechanic that involved the use of all his forms, just as in the eponymous boss battle. Each form - including a fireball, an ice cube, and a rock - has an unusual and creative playstyle.

Hypno / Tanookie
Tanookie emerged as one of the strongest newcomers of MYM 4 and quickly secured a place among the leadership for his interesting and varied Castlevania movesets. Hypno proved one of his few MYM 5 movesets, but was acclaimed for his relative simplicity while still maintaining a distinct and clear playstyle. He also boasts brilliant, appealing organization.

Raiden / Smash Daddy
Smash Daddy had been sporadically present, commenting and reading movesets, since MYM 3.0, but he had only posted one set in each contest, a trend which continued with Raiden, who was posted as MYM 5 was drawing a close. He took everybody aback by showing off a monumental amount of improvement, and Raiden was unique in his off-the-wall organization, his professional writing style, his heavy, exhaustive detail, and his choose-your-weapon playstyle. He ended up tying with Acid Seaforce for the champion's crown, but was then narrowly chosen to place second by the Sins (the authorities at the time).

Cutesy Beau / Junahu
Junahu gave his finest outing since Donna and proved that he wasn't going anywhere any time soon when he surprised everyone with this OC. All agree that she has wonderful organization - a hallmark of Junahu's work - but after that, opinions are divided. Cutesy has attracted a devoted cult following based on her flowing playstyle, unique conception, and choice to emphasize a smooth implementation into Smash over complex standards. Definitely worth a read, if only to see what side you stand on.

Count Cannoli / KingK.Rool
As in MYM 3.0 with The Headless Horseman, KingK.Rool slipped in the last moveset of the contest, but this one came with no fanfare and little celebration. However, in retrospect, it's regarded by many as one of K.Rool's best, implementing a thieving mechanic and showing off light detail, powerful organization, and a strong emphasis on playstyle. It's no milestone, but its popularity and high place in the Top 50, while other movesets were lost in the last-day shuffle, stands testament to its effectiveness.

MYM Man / SirKibble
The end of MYM 5 signalled another major loss, as SirKibble, legend since MYM 2.0, leader of MYM 4, friend and advisor to all, was forced to leave MYM - and all computer access - for a period of two years. MYM Man, his final solitary moveset, was his testament to the community, and incorporated many of the memes and trends of MYM in ingenious attacks. Although the overall quality of Kibble's movesets in MYM 5 was not quite up to par with his golden age in MYM 4, he remained one of the Big 3 right up until his departure.

|| MYM 6 ||

Hades / BKupa666
Kupa had been putting in incredibly solid works ever since MYM 2, his notorious tendancies to overcomplicate and follow in the footsteps of his mentor MasterWarlord growing ever more famous, but it wasn't until this remake of an MYM 4 moveset that he finally broke through as one of the major MYMers. Hades has a mechanic that feels tacked-on but everything else about him is superb, from his balance right down to his organizational quirks.

Vaati / SkylerOcon
Vaati is a moveset with incredible organization above all else - this is something SkylerOcon, the only mod to ever become a regular in MYM (although he technically was an MYMer first and a mod second), has always emphasized in his movesets. Vaati is also distinctive in how he shows off Ocon's philosophy: less is more and the best playstyles are those that could be slipped right into Brawl without skipping a beat.

Sloth / MasterWarlord
With Sloth, Warlord showed just how much he intended to push playstyle. Almost every attack in Sloth's moveset is specifically meant to interact with at least one other attack, making a brilliant jigsaw puzzle and a stimulating thought experience. Individual move creativity has finally been cast aside in favor of the bigger picture, and Warlord seems prepared to push MYM forcefully into a whole new age of playstyle and detail.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Looks like a good list. I can make a story mode for it... :bee:

Also, I have a little request. Is there anybody around here who could make me some character buttons? I would be very happy... :bee:

EDIT: This has been up for twelve hours and I've been the only one to say anything about it...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm pleased at how far I've come with Hades; I think my next sets (with the possible exception of one I started a long time ago) will expand even more on the style Hades had.

And yeah, Wizzerd speaks for me as well. I need buttons for both Wart and Hades. I've heard (and seen) that some people are quite talented at making buttons, but I won't call them out, due to not wanted them to get flocked with requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom