• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ART with your POWER!!! #2 (contest ends 08/15/09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer

Art With Your Power

the current drawing prompt is....
Convey your passion

Any medium is allowed. Contest is over on August 15th at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time!

Judging
Each entry will be judged according to four guidelines, and each of these will be worth five points(meaning each piece will be eligible for a total of 60 points; 20 from each judge):

Adherence to prompt: Self explanatory. It just needs to relate to the topic in some way. I see this as an easy 5 points.

Skill: Another self explanatory one. Don't worry if your art skills aren't top of the rung. This is only one category and let's remember the basis of this contest is fun and improvement :)

Ingenuity/Style: How clever were you with your piece while sticking to the theme? Also, is your style refreshing? Did you use your medium in an unconventional way?

Aesthetics : Is your piece pleasing to look at? How is its composition? Colors work nicely together? Does it draw the viewer in?

The three judges will be: Livvers. Virgilijus. ThunderMistress. The method for judging is the so called "Scurvy" method devolped by Scav and Virg: only the top three placers will be named (barring very close 4th places) and no numerical scores based on the rubric will ever be posted. This is to help the younger artists who don't necessarily need to know they were the judged the worst. There will be judge's comments with each piece that offer critiques on the piece.

Prizes

Of course, this being the most awesome section of the boards, there will be prizes. Yay! Also, they may change (only for the better, I swear) once we learn more of what we can actually do for you guys. But for now they are:

THIRD PLACE:

You'll get to tout an orange name and have a paintbrush icon along with your other icons.

SECOND PLACE:
You'll get the orange name, the paint brush, AND a custom title.

FIRST PLACE:

You'll receive an orange name, the paint brush, and a NEWW CAAAHR. Not really, but you will get to pick out the prompt and be a judge on the next AWYP :)

How to enter:

Just post your entry in this thread, along with these guidelines:

You absolutely MUST INCLUDE a description along with your image giving a brief summary of what you did. This is to help weed out stolen images. We also need at least two progress pictures. For photography I ask that you supply a picture of you holding out your screen name in the scene you just photographed(like, say you photographed a field. I would want an extra picture of you showing your screen name in said field). I know this is a pain, but it's much harder to find stolen images than stolen written works. Also, please put these WIPs in the same post as your submission, and make them just links.

Virg edit:
DO NOT CHEAT. I cannot be more serious when I say this. We take cheating/stealing images very seriously and won't hold back on any perpetrators. If we find you have stolen an image, this will result in a one month ban from the AE. You will receive two points that will last two weeks as per the global rules. You will also be banned from future AWYPs and have the stigma of a cheater all over you. We've had people cheat before in other contests and I can assure you, for the 30 seconds it took them to cheat they absolutely regret it. If you are drawing, tracing is also not allowed and will be up to the judges discretion to claim.

Deadly Turnip Corollary: All entries must be completely new pieces of art. Even if you are the artist, if it is found that your work was posted online or in another forum before submitting it in this contest you will be disqualified.

Also, NO JOKE ENTRIES. This doesn't mean your entry can't be funny, but I won't tolerate an image you threw together in MS Paint for lulz and attention. You will be warned the first time it happens, and then banned from the AE if I see it again. You will no longer be able to submit real entries to any future contests. This is a serious competition to promote practicing your art and improving. Also, one official entry per entrant. If you have several pieces and don't know which to choose, you can post several and get other people's opinions on which you want to enter, but only one will be entered (we can comment on the others, but it won't affect the contest).

Now, the main purpose of this contest isn't to win: it's to draw and paint and sculpt and to have fun while doing it. If it becomes too much of a chore or things start piling up on you, don't worry about it. There will always be another contest :)

So go ahead and start drawing! And don't forget to ART WITH YOUR POWER!

Chaco

Never Logs In
Someone remind me this exists on the night of the 14th~

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Only you Chaco, only you....

I think I have a perfect idea for this, now for how to make it work :ohwell:

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
haha well its kind of proven that artists do best under pressure than when they think about something too much...

haha I'll see if i can attend this one, I'm not entirely sure since I may be starting a part time job as well <<

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Mine is about me and Surfing :D Its all going to be done in Photoshop, with no base picture. I will be use photoshop defaults, and various shapes found in photoshop. :D

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I have this image of Sinz' drawing being a man made out of the circles tool. Lol.

Just a reminder of no joke entries(not saying that's what you were planning, Sinz, but I don't want people getting any ideas off of what I just said).

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I have this image of Sinz' drawing being a man made out of the circles tool. Lol.

Just a reminder of no joke entries(not saying that's what you were planning, Sinz, but I don't want people getting any ideas off of what I just said).
I'm actually using a sketch pad to draw in, and then the pen tool to make the Lines more detailed. Then with some smudging and a few other steps I will be making hair. etc... It is looking good so far. I am happy with it. :D

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
"Convey your passion"..

Could someone elaborate that a bit.
Seems like a contest I probably could enter if I wasn't so lazy. (Main problem is that it takes me forever to come up with an idea to almost anything and then manage to make it so that it looks good.. I probably won't be able to make something before the deadline ;_; )

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Convey your passion?

This'll be fun. :)

*devilishly menacing laughter*

EDIT: @FinNess: I'm not the best guy to answer this, but I think what they mean is, create a piece of art that involves something you're passionate about. E.g., Sinz said his passion was surfing, so he could draw/paint/photograph something that involves surfing.

It'd be best if one of the judges could clear that up, though.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Something I'm passionate about.. Ehhh.
*goes to check a dictionary*[1]

Well, dang. You can count me out of this..
I'm a boring person with no passions.

Also funfact; The dictionary also said that passion is a synonym for anger and agony, as well as enthusiasm and love.. Contradiction much? D:

[1] Wasn't 100% sure on the meaning, because "passion" in Finnish means something way different, so I checked.

Hella

Smash Apprentice

Finland represent.

Oh, and while I'm here:

Two things that both pretty-much apply to my art-style:

One. Since my style of drawing often includes comic text bubbles filled with dialogue, I was wondering what sorts of limits I have on my (ahem) language...
...would it be fine to simply censor swearing? Leave it out altogether? Or ****, even use it?

Two. I'll also find myself drawing scantily-clad women...
...most to all of the time. Is this fine as long as there are no, how do you say...
...privates showing? I sure hope so.

You guys brought the word "passion" to the table...
...and, of-course, swearing and semi-naked girls came to mind.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
One. Since my style of drawing often includes comic text bubbles filled with dialogue, I was wondering what sorts of limits I have on my (ahem) language...
...would it be fine to simply censor swearing? Leave it out altogether? Or ****, even use it?
Swearing is allowed as a special exemption. In WWYP, we do allow swearing as it can contribute to the tone of the story, which is very important. I would allow it, though of course superfluous swearing is frowned upon.

Two. I'll also find myself drawing scantily-clad women...
...most to all of the time. Is this fine as long as there are no, how do you say...
...privates showing? I sure hope so.
We aren't a fan of smut and don't promote it. However, if it is scantily clad with no nudity (but close), I would say you can enter but don't post the picture in the thread: post a link to it with a little warning just so people know what they are going to look at. Also, I'd recommend showing the outline or general idea to us (the judges) once you get it down just so we can make sure. But other than that, yeah, I would say it's ok.

You guys brought the word "passion" to the table...
...and, of-course, swearing and semi-naked girls came to mind.
:p

Mewter

Smash Master

Also funfact; The dictionary also said that passion is a synonym for anger and agony, as well as enthusiasm and love.. Contradiction much? D:

[1] Wasn't 100% sure on the meaning, because "passion" in Finnish means something way different, so I checked.
Isn't passion just basically lots of emotion toward something?

Anyways, I'll join and draw something up.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Isn't passion just basically lots of emotion toward something?
I don't know.. I have always thought it means lots of positive emotion towards something. So I was kind of weirded out by that.

And, if I can think of something, I'll probably join the contest too..

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
^^^not always positive
have you ever heard someone say 'i hate_____ with a passion'

i was moving mainly during the time of the other contest. im in this one for sure

Mewter

Smash Master
Just post your entry in this thread, along with these guidelines:

You absolutely MUST INCLUDE a description along with your image giving a brief summary of what you did. This is to help weed out stolen images. We also need at least two progress pictures. For photography I ask that you supply a picture of you holding out your screen name in the scene you just photographed(like, say you photographed a field. I would want an extra picture of you showing your screen name in said field). I know this is a pain, but it's much harder to find stolen images than stolen written works.
Wut.

Finished Product :
-Here

WIP:
-Here
-Here

Lol. I accidentally named it "WWYPXI Entry". Oh well.

Story:
Well, when you said to draw something you felt passionate about, I drew a technological dragon in space, just because I like technology, (anything about) science/especially astrophysics/biology, and dragons. So, what would be better to make than a cyborg dragon in space?

Development:
The galaxies in the background were created using a "leaky pen" tool, and the stripes (glowing blue lines) on the dragon were inspired by the robots from Sonic Chronicles. :laugh:
The dragon was at first drawn as an outline using a pen, and I colored over it on a separate layer using a watercolor tool. I also used the bucket tool to color in the original frame with the outline.
The background is supposed to be composed of several galaxies, two of them being spiral galaxies and the others being cluster galaxies at varying distances. I guess this picture symbolizes discovery and the unknown.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Alright. And guys, please please PLEASE put your WIPs in the same post as the original submission, and make them links, not full image pictures.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Livvers, perhaps you should put "Please read OP/Rules" in the title of the thread, or something like that. All of the info is in the first post, but people see a wall o' text and get scared.

Mewter

Smash Master
Livvers, perhaps you should put "Please read OP/Rules" in the title of the thread, or something like that. All of the info is in the first post, but people see a wall o' text and get scared.
Sorry. I did read the OP, but I just kind of missed that one part. :laugh:
I'll fix it, then.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
No. Seeing as we have the "How to Enter" heading it off. It should be self explanatory to read the rules of a contest. It takes 5-10 minutes TOPS. I spent my time writing that up, people can be decent enough to read it.

Mewster updated his post so there's no harm done. And thank you for organizing it nicely =) I forgot to write that in to the OP, but it's there now.

Hella

Smash Apprentice
Hella's Entry.

So yeah, this took a hefty amount of time.

Started pretty much when I left my first post in this thread...

...ended now. Not solid work, of course. I'd say a good 15 hours or so, though.

So yeah, a little warning. There are girls with very little clothing on, however...

...they do their very best to cover everything that NEEDS to be covered.

As you can plainly see, I didn't go with any dialogue. So, no need to worry about my language. ****-yeah!

Tools Used:
- Wacom BAMBOO Fun.
- openCanvas4.5e Plus.

Sketch:

Line Work:

Flat Colors:

Final:

My passion? Why stick with just one? I stuffed this piece of work with so much passion it had a heart-attack...

...so I revived it and crammed in even more.

What did I even put in there? Let's review:
- Super Smash Brothers Melee. Of course. And yes, Sonic prefers Melee over Brawl. Why would he play anything slower than Melee? He wouldn't.
- Sonic the Hedgehog. He's pretty much been my biggest drive for most of my life. He's the reason I draw. The reason I do most things, probably.
- Amy Rose. My favorite Sonic character. She's also my favorite color, pink.
- Big-titted red-head in her underwear with tattoos. Yeah, super-rare, like a shiny-pokemon.
- Hot lesbian that likes licking stuff. I don't know. Something about girls putting their tongue on other girls, you know? Especially when its right on a D.B.R. tattoo.
- Floating hearts. I love hearts. And what better imagery to include in a passion-themed drawing? That's right, there's none.
- Drawing pad. I'm sure you already guessed that I love drawing.
- Dr. Robotnik. Yeah, Robotnik. Not ****ing Eggman. I love this guy. Especially when he's serving some...
- Takin' Back Bacon Burger Fries. That's right. The best item on all of Denny's day, night, morning, and late-night menus. And yes. I have tried EVERYTHING.
- Diet Rockstar. Energy drinks. The reason I have diabetes, perhaps? I'll never know. All I know is Im'a still drink the **** outta them, regardless. That's how passionate.
- Chili-Dog. Just cause Robotnik's other hand looked empty. Still love 'em, though.
- "GET YOUR CRAVE ON" shirt. Denny's late-night attire. All employees must wear this, I assume.
- The Denny's logo. Just to make sure you all realize how much I ****ing love Denny's.

I'm sure I could have added more but...
...then you'd know way too much about me.

So yeah, I hope you all enjoy.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh wow, the second contest is up! I will definitely be participating in this.

Any idea when the winners of the first AWYP will get their prizes? Kind of weird seeing them still without the orange names, etc.

Hella

Smash Apprentice
Awesome work Mewter!

I really like your galaxy-type formations in the background. The whole picture has a really solid paint-splatter look to it. I also like how you made it look like outer space in the background but also underwater. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but it really looks great! I can see little pieces of inspiration all over this picture. That's what I actually do like about dragons, they can look like whatever you want, for the most part. The Sonic Chronicles enemies, of course, shine through, but I can also see your pokemon side in the wings which sorta remind me of a Masquerain.

Did you love Sonic Chronicles as much as I did!? I almost started crying while I was playing thinking about how long it had been since I had played such a good Sonic game. There aren't many these days. The only good ones to come out recently, I'd say, are Chronicles, Rush, and Unleashed.

Anyway...

More art, please!

Mewter

Smash Master
Thanks, Hella. I like how your art looks solid enough to be on a comic book cover. :laugh:
The style is great, and the Sonic characters look pretty legit!

Needless to say, it disturbs me a bit, though. :laugh:

As for Sonic, I liked the day sequences of Unleashed (they were pretty fun), but haven't played Chronicles or Rush myself. I've only seen the art for them.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Alright so here is my Entry

The reason for my image isn't exactly surfing, but more so the feeling I get right before I go surfing. I feel like I can rule the world, I can fly, I can do anything. Just that feeling is so amazing, I love it so much. I can't get that feeling all the time because I live in New Mexico(no beach.), but whenever I visit my uncle and go surfing, I just feel so amazing. Before, during, and afterwards.

That is my start up. I used one of the wooden mannequins to help me draw out the body. (the ones you can move and rotate for different poses.)

This is after I added some shading and the hair. The hair was all in all I believe 15 layers. I used smudging and a couple of filters to help make the hair.

My final picture. I really wanted to convey the feel I get, so I placed the clouds in the background to help with the feeling I feel like I could fly. I just love it so much. Feeling on top of the world.

Time to finish: 17(I forgot I left it on one night when I fell asleep. So give or take another hour or two. I just took 10 from it.) hours I had no starting picture, no starting anything. Everything was made in photoshop, or was a default in photoshop to begin with(I.E. the flowers on the shorts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom