• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My first team, looking for comments/constructive criticism

Old Amber

Smash Rookie
Here's my current non-uber team. I recently got Shoddy (some online battling simulator) and here's my team tailored to fit Shoddy's expectation. The moves, abilities, items, and natures are exactly the same as I have them in Platinum. This set has many options. I start off with Lucario. Heracross, Lucario, and Gengar are the sweepers. Umbreon provides Wish support. Snorlax is a tank. Dusknoir is a recent upgrade of a Duskclops moveset I came up with myself that I'm still testing the waters with in competitive battling. Please rate and comment.

Lucario (Tutankhamun) w/ Life Orb
Jolly ≈ Inner Focus
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
» ExtremeSpeed
» Close Combat
» Ice Punch
» Swords Dance

Umbreon (Nocturne) w/ Chople Berry
Careful ≈ Synchronize
252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
» Taunt
» Mean Look
» Baton Pass
» Wish

Gengar (Phantasm) w/ Life Orb
Timid ≈ Levitate
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
» Shadow Ball
» Thunderbolt
» Focus Blast
» Hypnosis

Snorlax (Gluttony) w/ Leftovers
Careful ≈ Thick Fat
168 HP / 120 Def / 220 SpD
» Curse
» Return
» Selfdestruct
» Fire Punch

Heracross (Blitzkrieg) w/ Choice Band
Adamant ≈ Guts
96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
» Megahorn
» Close Combat
» Stone Edge
» Night Slash

Dusknoir (Requiem) w/ Leftovers
Relaxed ≈ Pressure
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
» Toxic
» Mean Look
» Pain Split
» Confuse Ray

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
im not good with evs, but most of your team looks good, except dusknoir. under evasion clause double team is illegal. for stalling id replace it with pain split for pseudo-healing

Old Amber

Smash Rookie

Zekirra

Smash Rookie
All I know is, Guts is a better ability for Heracross than Swarm. With Choice Band, Swarm will be useless if you're not using Megahorn.
Awesome nicknames by the way.

Old Amber

Smash Rookie
All I know is, Guts is a better ability for Heracross than Swarm. With Choice Band, Swarm will be useless if you're not using Megahorn.
Awesome nicknames by the way.
Guts . . . I was wary on that. I figured I'd be using Megahorn most of the time, but I'll change it taking Choice Band into consideration. Thanks.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I broke which rule now?

Why don't you read?

Rule #2 : Tell us about your team. Post why you have a pokemon on your team and what functions it performs. It's especially important that you tells us which of your pokemon is used to start the match.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Well, I can't help you if your description is that little thing. But I'll try.

Regarding Lucario:

Why do you have 252 Jolly speed? What are you outspeeding, exactly? Aren't you wasting quite a few speed EVs? Why do you have ExtremeSpeed? Why do you have Ice Punch? Why are you using him as your lead?

Here is what is recommended for a RMT:

panamaxis said:
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant , 74 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe

- Dragon Dance
  • The stat boosting move that makes gyarados so fearsome. After a Dragon Dance, Gyarados will usually kill at least one pokemon (and if he doesn’t kill, significantly weaken).
- Waterfall
  • STAB and my main sweeping move. The main sweeping move in my arsenal. The 20% flinch chance is also welcome.
- Stone Edge
  • This takes care of Zapdos, Salamence and opposing Gyarados.[/color]
- Bounce
  • Secondary STAB and extremely useful against Celebi. With bounce I gain a ton of health back due to leftovers. Here is some damage calculations for bounce:
  • Bold 252 HP / 220 Def Celebi: 81.68-96.53%
  • Timid 136 HP / 156 Def Starmie: 72.54-85.76%
Description: Standard Life Orb set with Leftovers and Bounce. I tried life orb, but Gyarados ended up dying too quickly. Plus it doesn’t push too many 2HKOs into OHKOs in my experience, now that Garchomp has been banned and pokemon are running less special attack and more HP / Defense, unless I use Bounce and life orb, but that is a bad idea as they can stall me out too easily then. If I get a DD, watch out because the opponent will often lose a poke or get significantly weakened. This guy doesn’t always die early and is monstrous late game if their counter has been eliminated.

EVs: Max Attack is fairly obvious to deal as much damage as possible. 184 Speed EVs allow me to outspeed base 115s after a DD, notably starmie. The rest is thrown into HP for extra survivability.

Team Work: Gyarados deals massive damage to most pokemon. A lot of teams rely on scarfers just to take him out so if I can keep chipping away at their counter, a Gyarados sweep becomes very likely. I try to save this guy until late game, where he can clean up.
or, if you're an overachiever:

scofield said:
Rose Red (Roserade) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Namesake: Ah, a rose by any other name…Although, admittedly Roserade should be by the name of Briar Rose aka Sleeping Beauty. I just liked Rose Red’s character more and it still fits.

EV’s/Item/Nature: A pretty standard max/max sweeper spread. I do have one question though. On the Roserade analysis, the focus sash set has the extra 6 ev’s thrown into hp, but on the scarf set, it is dumped into special defense. Which is better? As for the choice scarf, it allows Roserade to hit a speed of 459.

Move Set: Sleep Power is the key to the set, allowing me to get off a quick sleep at the beginning of the match. Leafstorm allows me to always have a move to check those pesky curse Swamperts (ohko under all circumstances), +1 Calm Mind Suicunes, and to hit hard in general, doing a great deal of damage to dragon dance Gyarados (about 56%) and Kingdras (about 85%). Sludge bomb allows a nice stab move to pick off Infernape or Azelf trying to switch into a light grass knot. It also allows me to do a great deal of super-effective damage to Celebi. Lastly, HP Ice is to check +1 dragon dance Salamences.

Team Role: About 99/100 times I just sleep at the beginning of the match. The only time I think I ever don’t is if the lead is a Flygon, which are usually scarfed and try to use U-turn, in which case I just HP Ice it. Lum Berry leads are very rare now, teams hardly carry sleep absorbers any more and the only times Roserade has ever gotten me into trouble as a lead is when Sleep Powder misses. I am able to shut down all suicide leads, hopefully preventing them from getting Stealth Rocks up. I’m not afraid of revealing the “scarf surprise” early in the match, but it is nice when I can occasionally conceal it for a late game surprise knock out. I was going to list the top 10 leads and how Roserade stacks up against them superiorly, but really, it would just be a waste of time as I could (and do) just sleep them all. Roserade has a few very important roles on my team. Besides the fast leading sleep and previously mentioned swampert check, she offers me a toxic spikes absorber, revenge killer without fear of magnezone or status due to natural cure, and a soft celebi counter, being immune to leech seed, not caring about twave, resisting grass knot and being able to take HP Fire well. Roserade is surprisingly bulky on the special side, as not even an unboosted max special attack neural natured Infernape’s Flamethrower is a guaranteed OHKO, which is helpful against suicide lead Infernapes who opt for accuracy. Her grass typingand decent special defense also allows me to switch in on some electric attacks, like Jolteon and Zapdos and hit back hard.

Opinion: The choice scarf makes Roserade the ultimate anti-lead. Remember 6 months ago when Scarf Gengar was everywhere? Then all of a sudden everyone started carrying lum berry leads until the hypnosis of accuracy fell. Then all of a sudden everyone forgot about starting out with a fast sleep, meaning that it is once again anti-meta. And Roserade does have the fastest reliable sleep (for the sake of argument I’ll define “reliable sleep” as a sleep move with over 70% accuracy.) Besides sleep, Roserade is utterly walled by Heatran and most steels, fearing scizor switch-ins even more, but it isn’t too much of a bother for the rest of my team. The rest of my team can handle Heatran and other steels, and Scizor would be reluctant to switch in anyways if they think I’m the regular sashed toxic spikes Roserade with HP Fire. Roserade is invaluable to the team as the lead and fills a niche in my team that only she can. I’ve always like Roserade but have never been able to effectively use it on a team until now. Not that I think anyone will, but I don’t want anyone to look down on Roserade just because she is considered UU. The reason most UU don’t have a place on an OU team is because there is an OU Pokémon that outclasses the UU Pokémon and does their role better. But there is not one OU Pokémon that can do Roserade’s job on this team. The thing about being choiced is that if your opponent knows what’s coming, you still have to find a way to be effective, and there are not a lot of things that can stop a fast sleep.

Teambuilding Process: When building this team, the first thing I thought of was the lead, which is unusual for me. I wanted a lead that would immediately get me the advantage at the start of the match. I thought about taunt leads before realizing Scarf Roserade was the perfect anti-lead, spinning out of my old Scarf Gengar days. This gave me a soft counter to Celebi, a guaranteed check against Swampert, and a toxic spikes absorber, giving me free reign to pick a bulky water of my choosing. But then I thought about how I could take advantage of the fast sleep to continue keeping my opponent on his back foot, leading to the selection of my next Pokémon.

verycoolguy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CoolVCG
Aerodactyl can damage this team really badly.

Earthquake should kill Lucario before Lucario does anything. Taunt shuts down Umbreon and Dusknoir. Aerial Ace kills Heracross. Gengar and Snorlax don't exactly like physical attacks, and Taunt can prevent any Cursing.

Twilight_Galaxy

Smash Cadet
i dont think its a complete failure so dont start from scratch.

i suggest for dusknoir to replace confuse ray with an elemental punch because he has good defensive stats and confuse ray is inaccurate

Ugg

Smash Champion
i dont think its a complete failure so dont start from scratch.

i suggest for dusknoir to replace confuse ray with an elemental punch because he has good defensive stats and confuse ray is inaccurate
Er, Confuse Ray is anything BUT inaccurate. It has 100 accuracy. It is, however, unreliable. It's pretty good for causing switches, but not much else.

Twilight_Galaxy

Smash Cadet
lol im sorry ive been getting burned on these forums all day xD i havent played diamond in a while so im a little rusty. I still do recommend an elemental punch for your dusknoir though haha

Top Bottom