• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 6 - Nothing Gold can Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I need someone to PM me an Umbreon moveset.
>_> Preferably something I can make out of Pikachu for the time being, but I am working on Umbreon's model too.
-DD

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Robo Link-MK2 is as hilarious as your other sets tirkaro, though from reading through the set, I ultimately think that the attacks lack certain detail, especialy lag, so if the attack is either fast or slow.
Really? I swear I went into detail about lag, maybe I missed some, let me go through it again....

Any other details I missed?

DarkDragoon said:
I need someone to PM me an Umbreon moveset.
>_> Preferably something I can make out of Pikachu for the time being, but I am working on Umbreon's model too.
-DD

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8117572&postcount=770

Also, how did I know you'd get all the references Darkslash.....

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Wow! Never thought it would go this far.
Whoa, never thought GCM would show up again, been what? Early MYM3?

It's almost like its the end of the comp, with this rush line. Also, I think the review que and the moveset list needs updating, its been, I think over a week since anything new has shown and I check it everyday.
I want to see the review on Gorea to see if I need improvement for when I develop another set...
Both of those have been updated recently, the moveset list by myself last night and the review queue by someone a while ago, everything -SHOULD- be up to date (especially that moveset list). I also apologize for taking so long with your Gorea review, personal matters and the like, I hope you understand and I'll have it out as soon as possible.

Also, how did I know you'd get all the references Darkslash.....
Because he's our resident Gundam guru? :laugh:

Koppakirby

Smash Cadet
Finally done! Sheesh, this took a while.

Koopa Bros.

"You see, what we got going for us is the power of teamwork!"

4 brothers, they have the power of teamwork going for them to help them overcome obstacles. Red Ninjakoopa, Black Ninjakoopa, Green Ninjakoopa, and Yellow Ninjakoopa. Together they form an elite force in Bowser's Army known as the Koopa Brothers! They claim to be the coolest dudes around, and certainly are no slouches in their fighting, using teamwork to an amazing degree!

The Koopa Bros. are all out at once, like Popo and Nana. However, unlike them, they have many techniques that can be used through Cooperation. Yet one can still function when the others have been KO'd. They make up for their little power with their amazing use of their speed.

Stats​

• Weight ~ 4
• Run ~ 5
• Fall ~ 7
• Traction ~ 5
• Power ~ 3
• Attack Speed ~ 7
• Jump ~ 7
• Wall Jump: Yes
• Wall Cling: No
• Fly: No
• Float: No
• Crouch: Yes
• Crawl: No

Every Koopa Brother shares these stats and a size a little shorter than Mario. He's also a tad thinner than Mario too.

Mechanics
1. Teamwork
You will always play as the Red Ninjakoopa, with the other Bros. following you and copying your movements like Nana. Or do they? You must always play as Red, but you can dismiss the other Koopas using the Neutral B, which will have them branch out and attack other opponents at a CPU difficulty level that you set before the match. You can call them back at any time(Unless they die) with the Neutral B again. They are like Nana, so will respawn with Red again if you are killed, regardless if they were.
2. Piggyback

If Red jumps onto any other Koopa Brother, he'll get on top of him and the Koopa Bros. making up the stack will attack with Red, doubling, Tripling, or even quadrupling damage depending on how many Bros. are on that stack. However, the stack cannot move on it's own, unless using the side special. Some moves won't work, and Jumping and recoveries are not possible. However, it takes no knockback. After 30% damage while on the stack, though, it will fall over, and the last attack will deal knockback damage. To disband, hit the jump button. Lag does not multiply. Knockback does. Dismissed Koopas can do this. Any Koopa's with 3 Bowser's of you will make the stack after you jump on. Aerials, Grabs, Pummel, and the throws can not be done while Piggybacked.

Specials​
(From now on, whenever I say Red, I mean any Koopa Bro. unless stated otherwise. Every Bro. can do that move.)

Neutral Special ~ Dismiss/Call Forth
Red Koopa poses, which causes a flashing effect, and all the Koopas do that as well. Then the other Koopas leave Red, or return to him if he move has been done already. This attack deals no damage, most of the time. However, if one of the opponents is close enough(Rest's damage) to a Bro during the pose, they suffer the same effects of a Shieldbreak. The Other Koopas will only pose when using this attack.

Side Special ~ Shell Shot
Red gets into his shell and fires himself to the next Opponent, Breakable Item, Assist Trophy, or Ledge with a whirling effect(To match their color). This attack is like Ike's Side Special, as you cannot stop him until he reaches any of those. This attack cannot be charged, as it's startup lag of 2 seconds is enough. It does 8% damage with a Bowser's worth of knockback.

Up Special ~ Shelliken
Red(And any other Koopa Bro in need of recovery) will pull out a Shell-shaped Shuriken of their color and throw it downwards, jumping up as much as three times Popo-only belay. The Shuriken does 7% damage and no knockback.

Down Special ~ Do their stuff
Each Koopa Brother does something unique. None of them can be done stacked, however.
Red will pose, with the flashing effect the same as the Neutral's flash, but that's all it will do.
Yellow will set a Trap, which functions as a pitfall if anyone steps over the spot where it was set.
Green will pull out a cage, and stuff anything within a Bowser of him inside it, including opponents, where they will stay for 5 seconds before the cage vanishes. Works like trapping an opponent in a Yoshi egg. Good for damaging opponents. Also works on Smash Balls.
Black builds a Cannon that will shoot one Bullet Bill(10% explosive damage, 2.5 Bowsers knockback)

Standards

Jab ~ Koopa Punch
A Koopa Bro.(I'll just say Red from now on) jabs his fist forward in a attempt to hit the enemy. Pretty Standard, except if you combo it effects will go off, including white flashes, tiny explosions, and a Shell-shaped firework. 2% with no knockback. But it flinches slightly.

Dash Attack ~ Shell Slide
Red slips into his shell while running, which can cause opponents larger than Kirby to trip, and 3% damage to everyone.

Tilts

Forward Tilt ~ Bob-Omb Blast
Red detonates a Bob-Omb in front of him. It does a small 2% damage to him, but does 10% damage to anyone within the blast range with great knockback.

Up Tilt ~ Style Stab
Red sticks his hand up in the air, and his hand illuminates with white aura and suddenly flashes with a big white explosion. This is a very cool effect, but sadly the attack itself isn't very good. It does 7% damage and little knockback.

Down Tilt ~ Breakdance
Red spins on his shell, kicking and punching everyone within a Kirby's length away of him with spinning power! This attack has decent startup lag, 1 second of ending lag, damage of 8% and AMAZING knockback. Also, on heavy opponents, this is good for racking up damage.

Smashes

Forward Smash ~ Go Bros.!
Red points forward and the closest Bro. to him flies forward at the closest opponent to Red, and locks on to him/her, focusing on defeating him until Red's next neutral B(Regardless if he's being dismissed or not) or until he does so. The Bro. slamming does 9% damage with minor knockback.

Up Smash ~ Disco Point
Red strikes a pose and points upward, hitting any foes above him. This attack does 6% damage uncharged, 11% charged, and decent knockback and lag either way.

Down Smash ~ Whirling Woah
Red spins in his shell, doing okay knockback and damage of 8% uncharged(11% charged), but with horrible ending lag that does a better job than needed at preventing spamming. The ending lag is 3 seconds, because Red gets dizzy after coming out.

Aerials

Neutral Aerial ~ Shell Spin
Red gets into his hsell and spins, this attack isn't much different from Kirby's Neutral-air, does 6% damage and medium knockback.
Forward Aerial ~ Double Punch
red punches with both his fists foward, with a flashing effect if it hits the opponent. This does decent knockback and 8% damage.

Back Aerial ~ Backwards Punch
Red will punch forward of him, then flip upside-down so that the punch goes behind him. The punch can still damage opponents in front of him though. 7% damage with small knockback.

Up Aerial ~ Cool Kick
Red performs a flip kick upward, doing decent knockback and 8% damage with a flashing effect.

Down Aerial ~ Foot Shine
Red sticks out his foot stylishly, and it shines, just like many of his attacks. However, this attack has great knockback that can knock the foe downward hard at high damage. It does 7% damage. It has some ending lag though, but not much.

Grab & Throws​

Grab ~ Pluck
GRD reaches out with his arms and hugs the opponent, then taking one arm off but now releasing his grip. This Red grabs the opponent and holds them over his head.

Pummel ~ Ground Basher
Red smashes the opponent into the ground, but then lifts him/her back over his head. This creates an obscene amount of startup and ending lag. This attack deals 5% damage.

Forward Throw ~ Shell Kick
Red holds the opponent out in front of him and kicks him/her forward, sending the opponent flying forward with 5% damage.

Back Throw ~ Shell Spin Fury
Red spins into his shell and spins on top of the opponent for a second. Then he just tosses the opponent behind him. This attack deals 4 hits of 2% and light knockback.

Up Throw ~ Headbut
Red throws the opponent into the air and then jumps after him/her, delivering a fierce headbut to deal some damage of 6% and large knockback.

Down Throw ~ Posing
Red slams the opponent into the ground for 4% damage and poses, with the flash effect. However, this is all it does, so this isn't a very helpful throw.

Final Smash
Final Smash ~ Bowser???

The Koopa Bros. all pose with flashing effects, and jump off the screen. Then a crudely made Bowser machine falls where Red was. The machine is slightly Smaller Than Duon, so it's pretty big. But it's slow, which is bad. And it can't jump. However, any of the attack buttons will cause it to punch downwards. This punch will do 15% damage and will burry the opponent, leaving them open to more punches! Also, this Final Smash does not have a time limit. After Bowser take 30% damage, it will explode, and the Koopa Bros. come back out. Also, if a ally CPU Koopa Bro.(If you're playing as them) uses this Final Smash, it will still but you in control. Also, the Machine does not suffer knockback.

Playstyle​

If not obvious, The Koopa Bros. involve knowing when to have everyone in one place, and when not. Their group tactics can help or hurt you depending how you use it. Here are some hints on how to use it:

When the Opponents are far away from you and spread out, split up and have each Bro. tackle on of them. This will happen automatically in this case. Moves like the Side Special are good for keeping you out of reach of their attacks, sense each Bro. is very Light.

When all your opponents are together, or there's only one left, keeping the Grup together will overwhelm them, and give you the advantage of numbers. You can pretty much go in and attack while in a group, if you're close enough, Piggybacking isn't a bad idea either.

Also, a Good trick is to use the Side Special while Piggybacked to move around. This allows you to get places at up to four times your normal strength. However, you can't stop and will go until you hit something or the end of the stage. So it does have it's limitations.

When using the Final Smash, try to keep it out long as possible. Try staying far away from the other fighters in a multiplayer match and attack when they come to you.. Or on a one-on-one battle go right in and try to burry your opponent from the start. Then you can get many attacks in.

The Koopa Bros. and their teamwork style is for more strategic players, so they might not suit everyone. However, if you astered them...Well sir, you are the Coolest of the Cool!

Animations

Idle ~ The Koopa Bro. stands upright, hands at side, occasionally slouching

Walk ~ He shuffles his feet forwards

Run ~ He swings his arms and marches forward.

Crouch ~ He gets down onto all fours.

Dizzy ~ Rocks back and forth on the ground, lying on his shell, eyes closed.

Extra Stuff

Up Taunt
The Koopa Bros. pose, with a flashing effect.

Down Taunt
Red pulls out a Bob-Omb, which explodes in his face, dealing 1% damage and zero knockback to him. He wipes off the soot.

Side Taunt
The Koopa Bros. on the stage spin inside their shells.

Symbol: Mushroom

Victory Theme
The standard Mario victory theme

Victory Pose 1
The Koopa Bros. jump into the scene and do a group pose.

Victory Pose 2
The Koopa Bros. form a tower and spin around a couple times before stopping.

Victory Pose 3
The Koopa Bros. are nowhere to be seen, but the Bowser-suit from their Final Smash rolls in and displays his awesome power(Punches at nothing).

Defeat Pose
The Koopa Bros. hide inside their shells.

Entrance
Jump on to the scene.

Trophies

Red Ninjakoopa
Black Ninjakoopa
Green Ninjakoopa
Yellow Ninjakoopa
Bowser???

Stickers

Koopa Bros.(Large)
Koopa Bros.(Medium)
Smilin Sphere (Small)

Alt costumes

Red is Black, Black is Red
Red is Green, Green is Red
Red is Yellow, Green is Red
Everyone's Red
Red's Blue

Selection Sound
The 4 yells "HI-YAH!" in unison.

Kirby Hat
Kirby gains a red bandana and shell and gets the Side Special.

SSE Role
The Koopa Bros. first appear alongside Shadow Bowser when DK confronts him. There is now a small cutscene here. The name 'KOOPA BROTHERS' is displayed. First DK and Diddy fight the Koopa Bros., then Shadow Bowser, and then the events proceed as normal. Bowser revives the Koopa Bros., of course. They then go to appear with Bowser every time he shows up. Even fighting alongside him when revived in Subspace. Then you finally gain control of them.

Codec
Snake: Colonel, what are these guys trying to be? Mutant Ninjas?
Colonel: Those are the Koopa Bros., Snake. They're an elite force in Bowser's Army.
Snake: These Ninja-Wannabes?
Colonel: Don't underestimate them, Snake. They have powerful moves involving Teamwork.
Snake: But if I take one out, it doesn't work as well, right?
Colonel: Yes, the power of the move diminishes.
Snake: Got it.

Junahu

Smash Ace
This is exactly why I hate moveset submission bottlenecks; we get a bunch of sets all at once and everyone becomes too scared to post commentry on any of them, out of fear they'll have to post commentry on all of them.

Bleak: This is one of my favourite sets my absolute favourite set of yours. It has an immediately obvious playstyle and moves that aren't just creative for the sake of it (by all interpretations, Neutral Special is a generic move, but that's what makes it interesting. You take a simple move like that and make us enjoy it). The colour scheme, formatting and bolding are all several steps above your usual work. You also moved the animations down to extras, which gets you bonus points with all the skimmers out there.

I still don't understand why "downed" and "flipped" attacks have to be radically different attacks, I'd think I'd go quite mad if the way I fall down had such a noticable effect on the attack I could perform.
You still have prop moves that would look quite proposterous in brawl (Blowing clouds out of a corn-cob pipe has no right being an aerial.)

Joe Calzaghe: oh, wait. This is MY set! Je suis le plus grande idiot aujourd'hui

Squishy Wizard: The rather barebones organisation was misleading with this one, this is actually a good moveset. Perhaps a little too "basic brawl" for most MYMers, but it's still pretty readable and easy to wrap one's head around.
But I hope you'll work on this set and elucidate a bit more on Squishy wizard's playstyle, as what you have so far amounts to "use magic missile to camp until you're strong"

There're some oddly physical attacks in here, for an obvious magic character like squishy wizard, and I think I spotted what? a single projectile? I don't quite understand how the embodiment of wizards everywhere has to play so up close.

Darkrai That's some seriously pleasing presentation you've got here, all clean and sharp as a button. It seems strangely habitual that only legendary pokesets have unique organisation, while every other pokemon uses the Rool template.
Nightmare fuel seems a bit forced for a mechanic (I know I'm a hypocrite. Joe's TKO mechanic was forced too) and fueling yourself off sleeping foes is something better off with Drowzee or Hypno. That said, the oppressive growing threat of Darkrai's status-sleep-punish tactics is well implemented, albeit a more streamlined version of Spadefox's playstyle
Again, I have to state that I think the nightmare feul is a bit unneccessary, considering Darkrai has an in-character playstyle even without it

And "Darkcide". I lol'd at that.

Robo-link MkII Your moveset making style is so airy and fun. It's a shame MkII required as much explanation as he did (but the blatant similarities between MkII and MkI made me smile. oh ho! Excess electricity and overheating aren't the same thing at all? ...Well they aren't, but they sound so similar you'd be hard pressed to spot the difference).
I love the almost random progression of the set, and the anything can happen way it reads. The biggest shame with this whimsical set is that you fall into the obvious problem of losing momentum at the aerials (and the less obvious problem of you talking some of the moves too seriously)

edit: god da~n it. Why must everyone post their sets "when they finish"? Here we have 5 sets with zero commentry and people think it's a good time to tag on a 6th!?
Bah! I'm turning into K.Rool here!

double edit: and STILL no V-13 commentry from me. Why do I remember it being easier to keep on top of commentry in previous MYMs?

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Yeah, bottlenecks aren't cool. As a general rule of thumb, you want to post your moveset when the thread is slow, not when it's already clogged.

It seems strangely habitual that only legendary pokesets have unique organisation, while every other pokemon uses the Rool template.
Mine don't. ;)

Kangaskhan is borderline, I'll admit...

Bah! I'm turning into K.Rool here!
I resent that!

So enough responding prickily to perceived slights: the movesets. Darkrai is a moveset I've been waiting for since MYM 4, when Baloo AND filip said they were going to make it, and of course, neither of them did. It's pretty much what I would have hoped for, and it is a very good set indeed. I agree with Junahu that the organization is incredibly appealing and a shining beacon for all those who like to just plug new colors and symbols every time into the same tired old template (what have I wrought?). Bad Dreams is very fitting and Nightmare Fuel rather less so, so they cancel each other out. Why the Specials last? As Warlord pointed out, they're among the weaker attacks of the set, which kills the only point to putting them there anyway.

Unlike Warlord, I see little Pokemon Syndrome, so good job to ye.

And now the Koopa Bros, who are stuck at the bottom of the page and won't get comments. Koppakirby, I'd really recommend using color a bit more carefully. Just making each different section a different painful color really doesn't do the moveset any favors. Try leaving the body text white and making the attack names colorful - and maybe bolded or enlarged, too?

Now, the mechanic is well implemented, so congratulations on that. The big problem here, of course, is that your descriptions are pretty short on a lot of the attacks themselves, and aside from making the moveset look sort of lightweight, this makes it somewhat difficult to keep tabs on what's going on properly. Just something to keep in mind for next time.

Hey, guess what? I have first post and a moveset finished, but I'm not posting it yet! Can I have a pat on the head now, Junahu?

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
KingK.Rool said:
Kangaskhan is borderline, I'll admit...
The irony!

Anyway, The Koopa Bros were some of my favorite bosses in the original Paper Mario, and so it's fitting that I'm rather fond of this set. Rool already covered the things I *don't* like about the set: that is, the short descriptions and meh organization. Still, you pulled off the mechanic(s) well and the playstyle is surprisingly existant however shallow, so good job there. I think you're ready to make the next step, which is slightly more original attacks and a deeper playstyle.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Well, I read Guardian Digger, but ... I don't have anything to say that Hyper Ridley didn't. Really. Pretty much just reduplicate what he said; reinforcing its truth.

Next I have to read Khee'bler, although I suspect I'm going to be agreeing with K.Rool.

Robo-Link MK II, I don't understand what's going on there, but it's funny.
Can someone explain? What is that? What's Robo-Ky? :confused:

:034:

half_silver28

Smash Ace
Review: Darkrai by Darth Meanie

So… yet another 4th gen pokeset from Darth Meanie… and this time it’s the legendary ghost-type Darkrai. Darkrai is one of the coolest 4th gen pokemon, so let’s see how he turned out!

Creativity/Trueness to Character:
The main reason I’m putting these 2 together is because I was having a hard time talking about creativity without thinking how true this set stayed to Darkrai. Being a pokeset, Darkrai has quite a few attacks from the games. In a few instances, you incorporated them in a different manner than would be expected, with Nasty Plot, Nightmare, Night Shade and Mean Look being examples. Even the ones that pretty much stayed the same were still very interesting. All of the attacks from the game fit Darkrai perfectly, and there is no sign of pokemon syndrome at all. However, there is one move that I find unfitting: the final version of the Shapeshifting move. Now you said that Darkrai actually does transform into Cresselia in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but for someone like me who hasn’t played those games, it seems really OOC.

The original attacks in this set make use of powers that I could easily see Darkrai possessing, and many make use of the pokemon’s unique body structure. For the most part, none of the original attacks stand out as insanely creative, although there are a few I think are awesome (Reaper’s Touch, Hallucinations). All of Darkrai’s attacks fit him perfectly, and seem like they would feasible for Brawl, which is certainly a plus. He plays exactly how I would expect a powerful ghost-type pokemon to play. Overall, this set fits Darkrai perfectly and has just the right amount of creativity; every attack is interesting, yet playstyle is not being sacrificed for move creativity or vise versa.

Playstyle/Mechanics:
The way that Darkrai is meant to play is emphasized directly through its special mechanics. The first mechanic is Darkrai’s unique ability from the pokemon games, Bad Dreams. Opponents pretty much take 3% damage per second while sleeping, which is exactly what that ability does in the games. The second mechanic is Nightmare Fuel, which certainly has no base in the games. “Darkrai is the manifestation of nightmares themselves, and thus feeds on his opponent’ nightmares and fear.” Now I thought Hypno was the one who feeds on people’s dreams… hm. Anyhow, this mechanic is hardly unfitting, and the fact that some attacks increase Nightmare Fuel and others decrease it certainly lead to an interesting playstyle. Darkrai also gains fuel when the opponent is asleep, linking both of these mechanics together. Both of them are fitting and make for an interesting combination.

Onto the playstyle, the playstyle section you wrote is fairly short. It basically is a guide to how Darkrai should play a typical stock. Darkrai is very vulnerable at the beginning of the stock, with his main focus being to build Nightmare Fuel. It can build fuel at close range via Mean Look, Crawling Nightmare or through the grab + pummel/back throw. If Darkrai manages to get some distance between him and his foe, he can use Nasty Plot to gain fuel (or use Hypnosis to stall them). Darkrai has to damage rack too, with short-hopped aerials and grabs being his best options. Good spacing and prediction are key for Darkrai, since most of his attacks are fairly laggy. Once Darkrai has enough fuel, he can start using his specials to get an advantage in damage racking, or to aid in getting the KO. Darkrai’s main method of KOing seems to be hitting them with Nightmare once he’s able to put them to sleep, although he can use Nightmare on its own or the forward tilt as well. While Darkrai has good aerial movement and generally has a great recovery, the lag of his aerials generally prevent him from gimping well.

I rather like how you’ve set up the process of building Nightmare Fuel, although experienced opponents will know exactly which moves Darkrai uses to build fuel and will try to avoid them, making Darkrai’s early game a bit harder. The longer Darkrai takes to build fuel, the less chance he’ll have of winning. He becomes powerful once he gets to the strong/powerful levels of Nightmare Fuel, but he has to keep his level up to stay there. Darkrai being best able to KO sleeping opponents fits perfectly with how he plays in the pokemon games, and pretty cool to boot. All this adds up to create a really fun playstyle, and I could easily see myself maining Darkrai in Brawl. Great job here.

Writing Style/Detail:
Your writing style is generally very good; you get straight to the point without coming off as awkward or boring. I don’t really have much else to say about that. As for detail, you do a good job for the most part, but some attacks feel like they need more information. For one, I find it weird that you didn’t give a general KOing percent for Nightmare, despite it being Darkrai’s main KO option. In fact, the only move you have a KOing percent for is the forward tilt. I think you should really either just include that for every move with significant KO potential or not include it at all.

Also, there a few moves (like the forward tilt and forward aerial) that refer to lag in rather vague terms, simply stating that “the lag makes it hardly Darkrai’s attack of choice” or something similar. This is nitpicking a little, I admit, but I personally like to know whether it is the start or end lag that is bad for a move. Speaking of nitpicking, the back aerial makes no mention of knockback :p . My final problem is with the final smash, which just isn’t clear on a few things. So the other characters are just kind of left without a stage for 3 seconds? Unless the gravity is decreased or something, characters without a good or long-lasting recovery would always die from this. Then again, this is a final smash… so I guess it’s forgivable.

Balance:
This doesn’t really seem to be a problem for this set. The fact that Darkrai can’t access the more powerful versions of his specials until he gains enough Nightmare Fuel goes a long way towards balancing him. He also loses fuel constantly, so he has to keep actively using moves to increase his fuel. Darkrai is pretty weak without any fuel, and is “light but large” according to his stats, so he may actually lean a bit towards the underpowered side, but not by a lot.

Organization:
I first must warn you that I’m hardly qualified to be critical of your organization, since everyone seems to hate mine <.<. Anyway, your organization is simple but effective. Everything that should stand out stands out, and I can read everything without straining my eyes. I really like the use of the bullet points for stats the Nightmare Fuel mechanic, and I wonder why you didn’t use them for the multi-level specials as well. The listing of the Nightmare Fuel cost/increase after the move in a similar manner to damage percents was a good move as well. Everything seems to be in the right place in this set. You’ve done a terrific job with this here.

Obligatory Closing Statement:
Darkrai is without a doubt your best set so far, mostly because of its feasibility. Abomasnow and Magnezone had rather outlandish playstyles that I couldn’t really see fitting into brawl (although I still liked Abomasnow). Darkrai seems like he could actually fit, and doesn’t have any bland moves like the afore-mentioned sets. Like those two, however, Darkrai has a really fun playstyle that’s extremely fitting. Overall, I really like this set. What’s even more amazing is how much you’ve improved since Magmortar in MYM5, which was only about 2 months ago. I’ll really be looking forward to you next set!

*insert catchphrase here*

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
So I finally got around to reading Bleak. One word to describe it for me: Epic

Despite being a simple snowman who just throws snowballs at people, you were able to come up an insane amount of creative attacks that were perfectly fitting. His two main projectiles may have beeen basic on their own, but they way they complimented each other and fit so well into his gameplay made me love them. My favorite move in the set had to be the DSmash. Katamary Damacy with snow? Epic. And to top it all off, you finally managed to avoid those props that people used to rag on you for (anyone who complains about all of 2props in the up-special and the uair will be shot).

And with all those interesting attacks came a great playstyle. All the ways he had to push enemies back into long-range like the Lenguins or his defense against other projectiles like the FSmash (which even has an interaction with his snowball moves!) made him into a really unique projectile character. Stuff like the Dash Attack/DTilt "interaction" showed that a lot of thought was put into making all his moves work together into a coherant moveset. Personally, I felt that this playstyle was better than Hades. Hades felt like a character who was trying to be combo-based but kinda fudged his combos, while I could very easily see how Bleak's attacks fit into their roles. The matchups were definitley your best yet.
Even if it's yet another Spadefox counter

*blahblah your organization is better blahblah improved use of bolding blahblah*

Overall, this was easily my favorite set of yours, and one of my overall favorite sets of MYM6. Crud, it's almost making me wanna do Armydillo! No! Must...not...give in...

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
I, like Hyper Ridley, have also finally read Bleak.

There is no doubt in my mind that this is your best set yet, it moves away from the massive, unnecessary detail that Tryclyde had and the ridiculous mechanics of Hades and Pennywise, that while cool, weighed the sets down some.

Bleak is in fact comparatively a lightweight, but he's only as simple as he needs to be. You managed to create a strong, fairly unique playstyle while keeping it simple. The Down Smash was awesome, and the ranged fighting style, even with somewhat generic projectiles, were compelling enough that you had to enjoy the set.

Also, in the possible Abomasnow vs. Bleak matchup, I'd go 65/35 Bleak's favor. Abomasnow doesn't have the range or speed to fight off his spacing game, and Ingrain isn't going to save him from the projectiles, since the Snowball is his damage builder. The only thing Abomasnow has going for him is that he won't have trouble getting snow on the field and will be a complete terror to try to KO.

And lookie here at all the new commentary on Darkrai!

@ Juhanu: On the Organization, I really fused ideas I had gleaned from several other sets I'd read, and it came out so well that I expect this to be, for the most part, the organization I'll primarily stick with. I see though how the Nightmare Fuel was unnecessary in retrospect; we always think that our own poorly executed mechanics are more brilliant than they are.

@ K. Rool: The Specials were primarily last not because I was saving the best for last, but because I wanted them to be in context of all the throws and smashes. Yeah though, I can see how they were rather weak, especially in comparison to some of my other moves.

@ Silver: Holy moly I thought that was a set at first you posted there. First off, Darkrai is a Dark-type, not a Ghost-type, although he shares a lot of moves and similarities with them design-wise. Also, nice summation of his playstyle; I tried to make mine short but sweet, but that is exactly how he plays, which speaks well that it was able to translate to your mind perfectly. I admit that I still need to improve my writing style some, and that I still struggle occasionally with including all the details I should; I'll definitely focus on improving that in my next set.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Darkrai is a moveset I've been waiting for since MYM 4, when Baloo AND filip said they were going to make it, and of course, neither of them did.
Sorry. :(

Here's the work I did for Darkrai; it's still saved on my computer and it's also hidden in the SSB4 thread somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.

The new moon is upon us....​

Darkrai joins the fray!

Introduction

Character Selection Sound:

Entrance: A shadowy hole appears on the ground and Darkrai slowly rises from it.

Idle Animation: Darkrai floats above the ground (though not high enough to evade Down Tilts) as the wispy-looking portions of his body wave around, as if blown by wind. Darkrai looks around suspiciously while moving its single visible eye. Occasionally, it will cross, and then uncross its arms.

Crouching Animation: Darkrai's entire body, except for its head, sinks into the ground. If Darkrai crouches on a platform, you'll see that its body doesn't appear underneath it! How can this be? Darkrai's crouching height is roughly twice that of Kirby's.

Walking Animation: Darkrai floats along the ground slowly as an afterimage of itself trails behind.

Dashing Animation: Darkrai leans forward while putting its arms at its sides and floats more quickly, leaving a trail of wispy black smoke behind itself.

Size: While floating, Darkrai stands at around Captain Falcon's height.

Weight: Darkrai also has around the same weight as Captain Falcon.

Jump: Darkrai's initial jump is above-average, nearly as high as Falco's. It also has four midair jumps of average height.

Walking Speed: Darkrai walks slowly to make his walking-afterimage effect look cooler.

Dashing Speed: Darkrai dashes as quickly as Meta Knight. ?

Special Ability - Bad Dreams: 3% damage every 0.8 seconds

Standard Combo -

Up Tilt -

Forward Tilt -

Down Tilt -

Dash Attack -

Up Smash -

Forward Smash -

Down Smash -

Grab -

Up Throw -

Down Throw - Enter Sandman: Darkrai puts opponent to sleep

Forward Throw -

Back Throw -

Neutral Air -

Up Air -

Down Air -

Forward Air -

Back Air -

B - Dark Void: Creats sleeping radius, lasts two seconds

Up B - Faint Attack:

Side B - Hypnosis: sleeping projectile

Down B -

Final Smash - Cerberus: everyone falls asleep (Bad Dreams active), screen turns black/white, everyone wakes up, Darkrai transforms into smoke monster

Taunts:

Up - Darkrai lets loose an otherworldly laugh.

I enjoyed reading darth meanie's Darkrai set; it was also fun to pick out the similar ideas that he and I had. ;)

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
filip! I didn't know you were still following the thread! Yeah, it's no biggie; I've moved past that particular loss. Good to see you posting, anyway. :bee:

So, just for fun, I decided to rank my own movesets. While I was at it, I decided I may as well share my opinions with you guys, adding a bit of detail as to why I felt that way. I mean, somebody might find it interesting to hear, right? Maybe it'll start a trend; I know I'd certainly like to know how Warlord or Junahu would rank their own work.

Self-indulgent? Pointless? Spammish? Maybe so. I know Plorf will enjoy it, if nobody else. ;) I'm not including my MYM 6 movesets for obvious reasons: first, since it'll seem like advertising, and second, because I don't want to contradict popular opinions with voting period still ahead. I do that a lot nowadays, it seems.

18) Snorlax - MYM 4

Snorlax, I'm afraid, has not aged well since MYM 4. Many of his attacks, so decent at the time, are now horribly generic. He exhibits that thing which I myself brought to public awareness - Pokemon Syndrome. See his Up B, Giga Impact. His sleep attacks, so revolutionary and interesting once, now seem incredibly random and tacked-on. In fact, every single criticism Chief Mendez mentioned when he reviewed it is now true, many times over. All Snorlax really has going for him today is heavy detail by my standards and a clever Down Aerial - and he was unexciting when I posted him, too.

17) Magikoopa - MYM 3.0

Of course, my first moveset has to be near the bottom of the list. It wasn't made with the intent to impress, or to place; it was made for sheer fun, which, of course, is what MYM is all about - but it doesn't do the moveset any favors when placed next to other placers in the MYM 3.0 Top 50. The moveset basically rolled with the idea that a magician has infinite moveset potential, although there is a nifty submechanic in the Specials - a mechanic hailed as, funnily enough, too complicated when it was posted. Anyway, it's not really worth looking at nowadays and was pretty middling for its time.

16) Powers Kirby - MYM 3.0

Now, Powers Kirby is not all as negative as the two movesets that placed at the end of this list; he has the best use of my old style of organization, and is still a colorful and charming moveset. It's also actually quite full of interesting attacks and is really just a great piece of fan service for anyone who wishes Kirby had more copy abilities at his disposal.

But here's the kicker: he just doesn't flow. Every single attack has him pulling out a different hat and using a different ability, making him feel ridiculously spastic. He has no real playstyle by its conventional definition, even more so than Magikoopa (Snorlax tops them both in the playstyle department, but loses out everywhere else). This was largely my breakthrough set and when I stopped being an underdog, but in retrospect, it's just another compartment in the hype train.

15) Electrode - MYM 4

Yeah, the second of my two Pokesets of MYM 4 isn't much more impressive than the first. I'm more content with him because, you know, he's a ball and there isn't much potential to him, and his mechanic is much more interesting and more ingrained in the moveset, but there's not a lot about him that keep him in mind. Looking him over, you really start to think just how generic that old layout was, and how good it is that I updated with Jafar.

14) Squeak Squad - MYM 3.0

My third moveset, and a pretty good one by all accounts, especially for its time. This was the first time I really poured some time and effort into it, and it definitely shows with this 3-in-1 set. At a look back, all three of them have a number of prop attacks, and others are unabashedly generic (although they were interesting enough back then), and the switching mechanic is troublesome... but it's just so cool! Doc is still the highlight of the three and, quite apart from having a bunch of sci-fi movie references, has a lot of still-interesting attacks. This is also where the character-without-a-dash got his first big break. Beware the many alliterated attack names - they make me cringe, and I wrote them!

13) Ax Man - MYM 4

Yes, it's part of a joint set, but the Halberd Crew was really three separate movesets jammed together, so I feel it counts. Ax Man actually got quite a horrible reception and many considered him the worst of the three, which I think is a bit unfair. I forced myself to think up the most creative attacks I could for a generic axeman, and I succeeded on many fronts. The mechanic lets him interact with the other two and gives him a rather interesting style. It's pretty much a decent set, although a few too many attacks try too hard to be interesting. The whole moveset, though, is still something of an experience, and I enjoyed working on it, even though there wasn't much cooperation to it.

12) Grim Reaper - MYM 3.0

If Powers Kirby was my real breakthrough, Grim Reaper, my fourth set, was my first serious contender. It was made to compete with Dracula and Voldo, and although it obviously fails there, it's still a fun set, even today. It's about as fitting as they come, with an overcomplicated but interesting mechanic and plenty of interesting reaper-based attacks. In fact, you can taste some of the similarities between this guy and my later Headless Horseman. In retrospect, there's little about this moveset that I dislike outright, and I think with a bit of tweaking to the mechanic and some careful move rewrites, he could compete even today, a rare thing for such a relic.

11) Father Time - MYM 5

First things first: in terms of raw originality, Father Time is my best work. No questions asked. That said, he has nothing but that. He has a level of detail so low as to almost be indecipherable, and his mechanic almost breaks the laws of physics at times. His balance is skewed and his organization is fairly dull. Although he has fun ideas, he boggles even my mind. I can't figure out what I was on about half the time. You want to see something similar but executed with more grace, look at Espeon. I respect this moveset; I don't like it.

10) Pidgeot - MYM 3.0

Pidgeot was my second moveset, but I basically gave him a complete rewrite later on in the contest, bringing him up to par quite nicely. His main selling point was - and remains - the simple but alluring playstyle, based much around gimping. Of course, it's nothing special today, but it was pretty exciting at the time. The other selling point is five glide attacks, something that hasn't ever been done since and which gives him a certain spice. Although he has a variety of Pokemon moves, he almost always dodges Pokemon Syndrome. Very happy with this one, even now.

9) Chef Kawasaki - MYM 4

What? The moveset that won me an MYM, at the halfway mark? Well, revisionists have already concluded that Kawasaki was nothing but a hype train, and turns out I've always agreed with them. I hesitated with this moveset for weeks and almost gave up at one point. After it was posted, it was immediately seized upon as one of my greatest, and hey, what am I to say? NO? Fact is, he's just too reliant on props. His mechanic can't even come close to making up for it. A shame it's my most famous set, or was, anyway... although one cannot deny that there's a lot of personality to it, from the animated sprites to the unique writing style.

8) Ekans - MYM 5

At the risk of sounding big-headed, this is the last moveset on my own list that I dislike for any reason; I'm immensely fond of the last seven, every one. That said, Ekans is probably my most maligned moveset. Warlord has made no secret of his hatred for it (even though he praised it when it was posted...) and only Junahu seems particularly fond of it. I remain fond of it for its unusual organization - probably the best I've ever come out with - and for trying to keep things simple for once, while capturing the essence of the serpent. Mission accomplished, I'd say.

7) Jafar - MYM 4

Some would say that Jafar was my best MYM 4 moveset, and I'd just about agree. This is the first true trap character of MYM, and his elegant simplicity is really quite appealing. Added to his nice organization, his appealingly low detail, and some of the creative ideas contained within, and you have a set I'm very proud of. THIS should have been championed over Kawasaki, this burst of spontaneity... but it was not to be. Hindsight is always 20/20, after all.

6) Count Cannoli - MYM 5

A moveset I wanted to try making for months, Cannoli was a project I spent a lot of thought and effort on, and it paid off. I just love everything about him, from his organization - another one of my best - and through to his thief-based playstyle, the best of its kind until Kheebler. The only conceivable problem with him comes from his seemingly random Silver Zephyr guise and his reliance on random items to help him - but since it's in his character to wield his inventions, it can perhaps be forgiven for aiding the playstyle.

And now... the top 5.

5) Shellder - MYM 5

Shellder was my first moveset of the contest, and I still love him, although his playstyle is no longer new and refreshing. He's so defensive he can barely move - it's so dizzyingly simple, so devastatingly unique. I don't mean to wax poetic about my own movesets, because Shellder really does pale in comparison to the best sets of MYM 5 - but he's still one of the best Pokesets I've ever made. One of the, key phrase here...

4) The Headless Horseman - MYM 3.0

It seems odd, even ridiculous, that an MYM 3.0 moveset could take precedence in my mind over my later movesets, but Horseman will always have a soft spot in my heart. This was my most personal project, one I poured a lot of time and thought into, to make him a true contender... and that he was. The timing - posted on Halloween - may have helped, but the simple fact is I picked a golden concept and ran with it all the way. I'm not entirely satisfied with the way some of his attacks feel like props, but that just adds to the spooky charm.

3) Jumpluff - MYM 5

You know what? I think Jumpluff is the best Pokeset I've ever made. It's such a simple concept, making a moveset based around getting stronger as you go up, and I really like how I pulled it off. Although the seed-planting mechanic was expanded on in Leafeon, its simplicity is an asset here. I reread this moveset when I'm out of inspiration for a more recent Pokeset, so I read it quite often, and I'm upset with how hard it'll be for me to match up to myself all over again each and every time.

2) Galaxy Man - MYM 4

Yeah, here's the controversial choice, because Galaxy Man is widely perceived as my worst set yet - the only one not to place. I never really understood why that is, since I didn't get any real comments beyond "i can't read it you fail noob". Yes, it's low on detail. Yes, I understand that the effect may be lessened if you can't see the many special fonts. Yes, I can see that maybe the unique writing style might be jarring. But come on! It's the shortest moveset I've ever written, it has one of the best playstyles I've ever thought up, and there's nary a generic attack to be found. AND it captures every facet of Galaxy Man, the character. I honestly don't see anything to criticize, and it never ceases to sadden me that everybody else seems to hate him, for reasons unknown.

As another interesting note, this is one of the few trap characters of MYM 4, along with Jafar, but what he does with them is quite unique, even up to today.

1) Miracle Matter - MYM 5

Yeah, it's the obvious choice, but Miracle Matter remains the best moveset I've ever made. I'm not going to go on about this one, since it's still fresh in everyone's minds. Suffice to say that this is the moveset I should be remembered for, not Kawasaki; I can't see myself topping it any time soon.

Well, there it is. Hope somebody enjoyed seeing my own thoughts. I also hope it doesn't come off as TOO self-absorbed; I spend the whole rest of MYM talking about everyone else's movesets, I may as well be forgiven one post about my own, dammit! :cool:

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Good read Rool. It's always fun to see how people feel of their own work.

Regarding Galaxy Man, while I was one of those who hated it for it due to its organization, later on I did go back and force myself to try and understand it. I was eventually able to appreciate the ideas that set had, and it's a shame that it was lost in translation due to the writing style. If it weren't for that, it would probably be one of my fave sets of yours too.

Will I write my own personal set rankings? Well, if I do, I think I'll wait till MYM6 is over since some of my set ideas are somewhat high-risk this contest.

Smady

Smash Master
I agree on Galaxy Man and Miracle Matter being tops, KRool. I never liked Kawasaki - the ingredient gimmick was the start of a very short meme in movesets, but aside from that, it's a rather unremarkable moveset. Mainly I feel the set won on hype alone, or out of bias for the character as what you made was, at its time, a unique take on the series compared to most Kirby enemies. Still, it's not your worst.

In comparison, I love your shorter movesets that just ooze playstyle, are unconventional and I'm not even sure would work well in Smash, but that you were so brave to make them that way. Galaxy Man was criticsed far too highly at the time for its writing style, which was very different from most, yet again started off a meme in MYMing. The gravity affecting moves were awesome and extremely fitting, the control over the battlefield he has was too so Galaxy Man in concept and it worked!

Miracle Matter, I don't feel I need to say so much on. The constant switching that makes each form like its own character, the exclusion of moves therein and methods of playing to damage, knock out or both were very well done. This is probably still my favourite moveset of yours. :)

Also, Father Time links to Pidgeot. :chuckle:

Lord Sakurai

Smash Cadet
Review: Koopa Bros by Koppakirby

So… yet another 4th gen pokeset from Koppakirby… and this time it’s the boss Koopa-type Koopa Bros. Koopa Bros is one of the coolest Paper Mario bosses, so let’s see how he turned out!

Creativity/Trueness to Character:
The main reason I’m putting these 2 together is because I was having a hard time talking about creativity without thinking how true this set stayed to Koopa Bros. Being a pokeset, Koopa Bros has quite a few attacks from the games. In a few instances, you incorporated them in a different manner than would be expected, with Koopa Klaw, Koopa Bomb, Fire Breath and Whirling Fortress being examples. Even the ones that pretty much stayed the same were still very interesting. All of the attacks from the game fit Koopa Bros perfectly, and there is no sign of pokemon syndrome at all. However, there is one move that I find unfitting: the final version of the Shapeshifting move. Now you said that Koopa Bros actually does transform into Kent C. Koopa in Thousand year Door, but for someone like me who hasn’t played those games, it seems really OOC.

The original attacks in this set make use of powers that I could easily see Koopa Bros possessing, and many make use of the pokemon’s unique body structure. For the most part, none of the original attacks stand out as insanely creative, although there are a few I think are awesome (Bros. Moves, BP). All of Koopa Bros’s attacks fit them perfectly, and seem like they would feasible for Brawl, which is certainly a plus. He plays exactly how I would expect a powerful ghost-type pokemon to play. Overall, this set fits Koopa Bros perfectly and has just the right amount of creativity; every attack is interesting, yet playstyle is not being sacrificed for move creativity or vise versa.

Playstyle/Mechanics:
The way that Koopa Bros is meant to play is emphasized directly through its special mechanics. The first mechanic is Koopa Bros’s unique ability from the pokemon games, Koopa Dreams. Opponents pretty much take 3% damage per second while sleeping, which is exactly what that ability does in the games. The second mechanic is Whirling Fortress Fuel, which certainly has no base in the games. “Koopa Bros is the manifestation of Whirling Fortresss themselves, and thus feeds on his opponent’ Whirling Fortresss and fear.” Now I thought Hypno was the one who feeds on people’s dreams… hm. Anyhow, this mechanic is hardly unfitting, and the fact that some attacks increase Whirling Fortress Fuel and others decrease it certainly lead to an interesting playstyle. Koopa Bros also gains fuel when the opponent is asleep, linking both of these mechanics together. Both of them are fitting and make for an interesting combination.

Onto the playstyle, the playstyle section you wrote is fairly short. It basically is a guide to how Koopa Bros should play a typical stock. Koopa Bros is very vulnerable at the beginning of the stock, with his main focus being to build Koopa Fuel. It can build fuel at close range via Whirling Fortress, Bros. Moves or through the grab + pummel/back throw. If Koopa Bros manages to get some distance between them and his foe, he can use Nasty Plot to gain fuel (or use Fire Breath to stall them). Koopa Bros has to damage rack too, with short-hopped aerials and grabs being his best options. Good spacing and prediction are key for Koopa Bros, since most of his attacks are fairly laggy. Once Koopa Bros has enough fuel, he can start using his specials to get an advantage in damage racking, or to aid in getting the KO. Koopa Bros’s main method of KOing seems to be hitting them with Whirling Fortress once he’s able to put them to sleep, although he can use Whirling Fortress on its own or the forward tilt as well. While Koopa Bros has good aerial movement and generally has a great recovery, the lag of his aerials generally prevent them from gimping well.

I rather like how you’ve set up the process of building Whirling Fortress Fuel, although experienced opponents will know exactly which moves Koopa Bros uses to build fuel and will try to avoid them, making Koopa Bros’s early game a bit harder. The longer Koopa Bros takes to build fuel, the less chance he’ll have of winning. He becomes powerful once he gets to the strong/powerful levels of Whirling Fortress Fuel, but he has to keep his level up to stay there. Koopa Bros being best able to KO sleeping opponents fits perfectly with how he plays in the pokemon games, and pretty cool to boot. All this adds up to create a really fun playstyle, and I could easily see myself maining Koopa Bros in Brawl. Great job here.

Writing Style/Detail:
Your writing style is generally very good; you get straight to the point without coming off as awkward or boring. I don’t really have much else to say about that. As for detail, you do a good job for the most part, but some attacks feel like they need more information. For one, I find it weird that you didn’t give a general KOing percent for Whirling Fortress, despite it being Koopa Bros’s main KO option. In fact, the only move you have a KOing percent for is the forward tilt. I think you should really either just include that for every move with significant KO potential or not include it at all.

Also, there a few moves (like the forward tilt and forward aerial) that refer to lag in rather vague terms, simply stating that “the lag makes it hardly Koopa Bros’s attack of choice” or something similar. This is nitpicking a little, I admit, but I personally like to know whether it is the start or end lag that is bad for a move. Speaking of nitpicking, the back aerial makes no mention of knockback :p . My final problem is with the final smash, which just isn’t clear on a few things. So the other characters are just kind of left without a stage for 3 seconds? Unless the gravity is decreased or something, characters without a good or long-lasting recovery would always die from this. Then again, this is a final smash… so I guess it’s forgivable.

Balance:
This doesn’t really seem to be a problem for this set. The fact that Koopa Bros can’t access the more powerful versions of his specials until he gains enough Whirling Fortress Fuel goes a long way towards balancing them. He also loses fuel constantly, so he has to keep actively using moves to increase his fuel. Koopa Bros is pretty weak without any fuel, and is “light but large” according to his stats, so he may actually lean a bit towards the underpowered side, but not by a lot.

Organization:
I first must warn you that I’m hardly qualified to be critical of your organization, since everyone seems to hate mine <.<. Anyway, your organization is simple but effective. Everything that should stand out stands out, and I can read everything without straining my eyes. I really like the use of the bullet points for stats the Whirling Fortress Fuel mechanic, and I wonder why you didn’t use them for the multi-level specials as well. The listing of the Whirling Fortress Fuel cost/increase after the move in a similar manner to damage percents was a good move as well. Everything seems to be in the right place in this set. You’ve done a terrific job with this here.

Obligatory Closing Statement:
Koopa Bros is without a doubt your best set so far, mostly because of its feasibility. Abomasnow and Magnezone had rather outlandish playstyles that I couldn’t really see fitting into brawl (although I still liked Abomasnow). Koopa Bros seems like he could actually fit, and doesn’t have any bland moves like the afore-mentioned sets. Like those two, however, Koopa Bros has a really fun playstyle that’s extremely fitting. Overall, I really like this set. What’s even more amazing is how much you’ve improved since Magmortar in MYM5, which was only about 2 months ago. I’ll really be looking forward to you next set!

*insert catchphrase here*

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Wut, K.Rool? I enjoyed Ekans... a lot...

I agree with the rest of your list though. If I was to make a list:
1) Takamaru
2) Sukapon
3) Tingle
4-8) My crappy MYM5 works

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Wow, K.Rool, nice list. If it were me, i would move Galaxy man just a little lower. Otherwise, i agree with most of it. [/opinion]

Itachi is almost finished (only aerials, grabs, and final smash to go :cool:) After that, i'll work on Pokemon Trainer Blue, or I might remake my old Sasuke moveset from MYM 4.

Darkslash

Smash Master
You know, if any thing, MYM is like the return of the oldies. We got some vets coming back like Darklemonade and Flyingflip.

@Krool
Pretty nice list and for most I gotta agree on it.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Darkslash said:
We got some vets coming back like Darklemonade and Flyingflip.
Filipino's making sets again? AWESHUM

(I never knew anybody named Darklemonade :cool:)

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord

KING HIPPO

I FEEL LIKE EATING. AFTER I WIN, LET'S GO TO LUNCH. HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo remains, along with head honcho villain Bald Bull, one of the most instantly recognizable Punch Out!! characters. This native of Hippo Island - and caricature of all tropical island nations - has been around since the beginning, always appearing around the middle point of the game.

He's probably the most unique fighter in Punch Out, and why? Well, his defense is impenetrable... unless you give him a good thwack in the mouth when he opens it to taunt you. If you do this, his trunks - too large even for him, I see - start falling down, and while he struggles to hold on to them, you can wail away at his one weak point; his bandaged belly. Unlike every other fighter, once King Hippo goes down, he doesn't get back up.

THE BIGGER THEY ARE, THE HARDER THEY PUNCH! HA! HA! HA!

In Brawl, now, King Hippo's apparent invulnerability carries over. He has constant super armor, which, of course, means that he takes no knockback, although damage still applies. The only time the super armor lets up is during his many laggy attacks. Quite a few of them have fatal wind-down during which King Hippo is indeed vulnerable, and as though that weren't enough, he takes doubled hitstun every time he's hit. This, combined with his weight and size, means that a good foe will land one hit on you and rack up a hell of a lot of damage.

I HAVE MY WEAKNESS. BUT I WON'T TELL YOU! HA! HA! HA!

And you can't just stand around, either. If King Hippo refrains from attacking for three seconds, his super armor begins to let up as he idles, so although he won't yet take full knockback, he will indeed take some, and the full hitstun, so you're in much the same situation.

So what is our poor unhappy King Hippo to do? Well, he could always do what he does best; fight. King Hippo is a heavyweight combo character with a ton of KO options, as you'll soon discover.

STATS

I AM THE STRONGEST AROUND! I EAT RAW FISH EVERY MORNING! HA! HA! HA!

• Weight - 10
  • Power - 9
  • Height - 9
  • Fall Speed - 8
  • Run - 6
  • Traction - 6
  • Jump - 4
  • Attack Speed - 3
King Hippo is a heavyweight! He's heavy, and strong, and big, and falls like a boulder. He's also slow... but not as slow as they'd have you assume. Hmmm...

ATTACKS

♔ Special​

---------------------------------------------------------NSpec---------------------------------------------------------
Inflate

I'M FULL OF HOT AIR! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo sucks in a small amount of air sharply, slightly puffing himself up and turning his body into a giant hitbox. Contact with his bouncy bulk deals 8% and slight knockback - pretty long hitstun, though, and surprising priority. He deflates after half a second. If this attack is used in the air, his fall speed will be more than halved for the duration of this attack. This has three functions: to get foes out of your personal space and back at a comfortable distance; to throw them off while they're comboing you; and to start off (or perpetuate) a combo of your own with a relatively quick attack.

----------------------------------------------------------FSpec---------------------------------------------------------
Hippo Combo

THIS IS WHAT I DO TO PREY BACK HOME, TOO! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo draws back a single fist in a fluid motion, bringing it by his cheek and poised to strike. After a moment's pause, he thrusts it forward in another smooth motion. This deals 12% and has only decent horizontal knockback, kills at 160%. The attack is quite laggy, but notably, has quite long hitstun, like many of King Hippo's devastating attacks. He has super armor on this attack until he throws the final punch.

While his fist is drawn and ready, you can press B a second time to switch moves mid-attack. If you press B, King Hippo will bring his fist up above his head and make a funny cry, then swing his fist on a fast downward arc. This one is equally laggy, but deals an improved 15% and ricochets the foe straight up off of the ground, like the very best DThrow. The knockback is also quite slight, and won't kill. However, unlike the first variant, this one sets you up perfectly to follow up, since the foe is stunned and in the air right in front of you.

Two different attack, different hitboxes, different effects and purposes. Alternate between the two and you'll find this is one of your most useful attacks.

---------------------------------------------------------USpec---------------------------------------------------------
Heave-Ho

I WEIGH MORE THAN MY ISLAND DOES! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo grabs himself, in essence. He can get a good grip by grabbing his flabby sides, of course. Although this has slight start-up, the execution is quite speedy. He can throw himself in any of the four cardinal directions, just like in a regular throw, and how far he goes depends directly on his damage %, again, like a regular throw. He won't KO himself until about 280%, though, so that should tell you quite a bit about how weak this throw - and by extension, this recovery - really is.

King Hippo can also pummel himself, pinching at his own flab and chuckling as it jiggles. Like in any throw, he deals himself damage - 3% per pummel, and the throw itself another 10%, although DThrow from here does 12%. This creates an interesting dynamic; do you want to just throw yourself and risk not making it, or is it safer to damage yourself a bit before throwing? King Hippo releases himself after three seconds if you're indecisive.

His flying body is, as per Smash law, a hitbox dealing no damage. This can actually be used as a combo starter, if you hit them and send them into a hitstun phase just as you're about to come out of it.

---------------------------------------------------------DSpec---------------------------------------------------------
Boxer's Stance

A MAN TOLD ME TO BECOME A BOXER. SO WE ATE HIM! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo's animation doesn't change; he remains still, holding his fists tightly in front of his belly bandage. However, until you press B again, you have manual control over them, and can move your massive gloves up or down at will by tilting the control stick. During the duration of this attack, King Hippo doesn't have super armor... but his fists not only do, they absorb the impact of an attack that hits them straight on with such force that they cancel the attack and cause the foe to go into a short moment of lag. Use this time, cancel the attack and punish!

Now, notably, King Hippo can't defend any farther down than just above his knees - have you ever tried stooping when you weigh "???"? - so low attacks can still penetrate his defense. And, of course, if you can't read the foe or if they read you too well, you're likely to be punished for trying this. But his gloves are pretty big and the stance is the same as before, so by bringing this out at an unexpected moment and blocking carefully, you can turn the tide of a battle.

♔ Standard​

-----------------------------------------------------------Jab----------------------------------------------------------
"Give Them Zee Uppercut!"

YOU THINK YOU SMELL MORE THAN ME? I SMELL EVERYTHING, EVEN WEAKNESS! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo pulls a fist back slightly at his waist, then delivers a close-range uppercut before him, grunting as he does so. This has less lag than many of his attacks, although it can still be read and anticipated. It deals 10% and small knockback up and diagonal, so it's easy to follow up; this attack has fairly low end lag.

This, and quite a few of King Hippo's attacks, gets stronger once he smells weakness. If the foe is upwards of 70%, this attack is a full-on uppercut, dealing the same amount of damage but with more than doubled knockback and end lag. This can KO at about 100%.

----------------------------------------------------------Dash---------------------------------------------------------
Clumsy King, Graceful King

I NEVER TRIP. I LUNGE! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo trips - well, lunges - into a headlong dive that causes him to slide along a short distance on his belly. As he begins to falls, he extends a fist, perhaps hoping to catch himself. Although he doesn't, his fist remains extended as he slides, dealing 11% on contact and tossing foes a short distance into the air above him with long hitstun. A shame he can't punish splayed out on his belly... or can he?

Although King Hippo will get up on his own after a second lying there, you can display a hitherto unheard-of agility and actually jump straight up and out of this position. This makes this yet another handy combo piece, since its ending lag can be essentially cancelled altogether by simply jumping and continuing with an aerial.

This attack gains tripled knockback that can kill around 110% once the foe passes 85%, so be aware that you'll be hard-pressed to combo with it after that. It'll remain a good approach with a twist.

♔ Tilt​

-----------------------------------------------------------FTilt----------------------------------------------------------
Gut Bump

HOW'S MY BELLY? I FEED IT NINE TIMES A DAY! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo brings both fists to his waist and grunts, puffing out his belly to its fullest. Since it extends quite quickly, it deals 12% and quite good horizontal knockback that can KO by 110% - and that's if you're at the middle of a stage. The kicker here is that the knockback catapults them forward quite slowly, although they're stunned for the expected long period. The result, of course, is that you can potentially pursue them and follow up.

But this attack is dangerous to flub; it has a duration of almost one second, during which his belly and its bandage are exposed. If his belly is struck by a higher-priority attack - quite likely - it'll jiggle mightily, he'll take the damage, and his eyes will roll about dizzily, stunning him for another half a second. Of course, the result is that the foe can beat away at your belly and continuously extend the duration of the attack, racking up tons of damage into the bargain. At least you won't take knockback, right?

Use this only when they're too close to predict it or to dodge it, as one of your fastest attacks. Don't overuse it, because it can potentially make you very vulnerable.

-----------------------------------------------------------UTilt---------------------------------------------------------
Dual Punch

BUGS LIKE TO FLY OVERHEAD, TOO. I SWAT BUGS! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo turns clumsily toward the screen if he's facing to the right, or away from it if he's facing left; then he puts both fists together and thrusts them up sharply in a two-handed punch with a short duration but low end lag. This deals 8% and has minor knockback that's particularly difficult to DI. Notably, however, you can basically neglect the significant start-up to this attack by using it repeatedly once King Hippo has already gotten into position. This is one of those UTilts; it can rack up significant damage in a very annoying way when the foe is at low %s.

Once the foe passes 50%, this attack stops being a combo piece. It becomes laggier but deals much more important knockback, KOing effectively by 95%.

-----------------------------------------------------------DTilt---------------------------------------------------------
Tumbledown

ROLLING IS GOOD, AS LONG AS I'M THE ONE DOING IT! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo appears to start falling backwards, having lost his balance or perhaps simply had a heart attack - except as he lands on his back, he turns it into a backward somersault that covers more than a platform's distance, what with how big the King really is. If he rolls over a foe who fails to properly dodge or shield, they'll be buried in the ground and dealt a nice 14%. King Hippo comes out of this rather clumsily, but with little enough ending lag that he can potentially follow up. If not against the buried foe, then maybe he'll hit them just as they burst out.

This has three primary functions: starting a combo; continuing a combo that's been interrupted by the foe rudely DIing behind you, where they believe you have a blind spot; and rolling away and putting some distance between you and a foe striving to combo you after a flubbed attack.

♔ Smash​

--------------------------------------------------------FSmash-------------------------------------------------------
Megaton Punch

SOME BOW BEFORE THE KING. EVERYONE ELSE FALLS BEFORE HIM! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo raises both fists into the air as he charges, shaking with pent-up strength as he does so. Once you release, and with significant lag, he brings them both down before him, smashing foes from above, and not without lag. This attack deals 26% uncharged, 39% charged, and breaks shield on contact; when you see it coming, you dodge, and this is far from impossible, since the attack is easy to see coming. Its knockback ricochets the foe off of the ground and thus shoots them straight up with some impressive knockback, although if you sweetspot on the very bottom of his fists, right up next to him, he'll bury the foe instead.

The only reason this is at all usable - remember, if the foe hits you while you're standing there lagging, they're likely to combo you into oblivion - is because it can be cancelled at any point in the attack simply by pressing a different button. Suddenly this attack is a constant threat, and you can use it without fear - or at least, with less fear - because you can at any moment snap out of it and go back into your idle state of constant and comfortable super armor.

This attack is likely to be a finisher.

--------------------------------------------------------USmash-------------------------------------------------------
Grounders

A SPIDER ONCE TRIED TO BITE ME. INSTEAD I SAT ON HIM! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo charges by crouching down, preparing for a jump. When you release, he lunges a short way up, his arms grasping above him. Charge time decides whether you jump up half a platform or a full platform, and it's quite a deceptively notable difference. This attack is laggy enough at start-up.

If his arms touch any foe as he goes up, he'll immediately dunk them toward the ground like a basketball player; this motion is more or less inevitable if he touches you. If he doesn't reach anyone on his way up, the attack is cancelled at the peak of the jump, and he can go from there directly into an aerial or his second jump.

If he DOES dunk a foe, he hits them as he comes back down, landing solidly on top of the fallen foe and dealing an impressive 21% with powerful knockback on a straight horizontal plane.

Versatile attack, can be used to dodge, to go into a jump in an unpredictable way, to jump up higher than he could otherwise, to pull down a foe camping above, to KO, or hell, to continue a combo begun with some UTilts. There's nothing quite like punching a foe into the air, then hurling them back onto the ground and sitting on them.

--------------------------------------------------------DSmash-------------------------------------------------------
Fisthammer

NOTHING CAN STAND IN MY WAY! HA! HA! HA!

While charging, King Hippo faces the screen and slowly lowers his fists to the ground on either side. When you release, he brings them both straight up with little lag, dealing 14% and flipping foes into the air with long hitstun. The main use of this, of course, is that it's surprisingly quick by the King's standards, although it does have a tiny bit of end lag. Charging this increases the hitstun.

This attack is quite different if the foe is over 75%. Now King Hippo charges by raising his fists instead of lowering them, and the attack has him bringing them down on either side mightily. This variant deals 22% and harsh horizontal knockback on contact. Charging THIS variant increases knockback, and now it's quite a useful KO move.

♔ Aerial​

-----------------------------------------------------------NAir----------------------------------------------------------
T-Stance

STRETCHING IS GOOD FOR THE MUSCLES. AND THE HEART! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo makes his distinctive cry and extends both arms out, facing the screen - hence, T-Stance. His whole body is a hitbox for the duration of this attack, which is just under a second, albeit his priority is only middling. Contact with his body deals 10% and rather slight knockback, while contact with a fist deals 14% and better knockback that can KO around 135%.

Of course, this is quite restrictive in terms of aim, so you can tilt King Hippo slightly as he remains in this stance by tilting the control stick to either side. By tilting him, you can quite easily land a sweetspotted fist. Sometimes you WANT to hit with a different part of his body, as it's easier to follow up on. It's a versatile attack.

-----------------------------------------------------------FAir----------------------------------------------------------
Banzai Swing

MY STRONGEST PUNCH COMES FROM THE RIGHT! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo laggily brings one gloved arm around and into a windmill swing downward. His fist deals about 8% - so unimpressive damage output - but has quite good knockback on a diagonally upwards plane. Notable is that King Hippo's punch here has quite a bit of spin to it, so after the foe travels forward a ways, they'll curve back slightly and their momentum will change abruptly, bringing them towards you just a bit and making it easy to follow up.

If used again immediately after the first use, King Hippo will switch what arm he uses, making it less laggy if used in quick succession and actually a good damage mechanism at low %s.

-----------------------------------------------------------BAir----------------------------------------------------------
Reverse Banzai Swing

MY STRONGEST PUNCH COMES FROM THE LEFT! HA! HA! HA!

The animation of this attack is exactly the same; King Hippo windmills around one arm and brings it downwards. The only difference is that the hitbox, instead of being at the downward arc in front of him, is at the initial upwards swing behind him. For all intents and purposes, the start-up of this attack is the hitbox, and the rest is just lag/mindgame. This also deals 8% and has decent knockback with severe backspin.

Like FAir, this can be made less laggy by chaining it to have King Hippo alternate arms as he punches. Notably, FAir and BAir are interchangeable once you've used one of them, and can be chained together in any way, making the mindgame potential enormous. At lower %s, you can combo the two of them into one another repeatedly and juggle the foe back and forth, but more on that in the combo section.

-----------------------------------------------------------UAir----------------------------------------------------------
TKO Uppercut

BACK WHERE I COME FROM, THEY HAVE A SAYING. IT GOES, "AAAAAAH! IT'S A HIPPO!" HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo has a brief moment of lag as he pulls a fist down a bit in preparation, then jabs sharply up, extending his arm fully - although this still is not all that impressive in range. This attack deals 11% with unremarkable upwards knockback, although there's a small sweetspot - or sourspot, depending on what your intention was - at the very back of his glove. Contact with this makes the foe go into a helpless animation and plummet to the ground, too stunned to move. This is an utterly unreliable gimping move, but if you become practiced with it, you can use it in the midst of a combo to bring the foe back down to the ground, where you have more options.

Once the foe passes over 70%, this becomes KO Uppercut! The knockback becomes most impressive and can KO at 90% off the top of the screen, although it does become somewhat more laggy as King Hippo pulls his fist back further before launching the punch.

-----------------------------------------------------------DAir----------------------------------------------------------
Funnel Spin

MY CROWN IS MADE FROM THE BONES OF THE LAST MAN I FOUGHT! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo faces the screen, then pulls a clumsy somersault, his head a hitbox when it's at the bottom of its arc. This attack isn't all that quick - you could equate its duration with that of Wario's DAir, but with a shorter hitbox. His head here deals out a weak spike and does 8%. This attack has a bit of ending lag, but it's quite effective when shorthopped as an approach, usually.

Once the foe passes 60%, King Hippo does his flip slightly more quickly, and now his head does horizontal knockback that kills at 110% instead of a spike. No gimp KOs for you, I'm afraid.

♔ Throw​

----------------------------------------------------------Grab----------------------------------------------------------

HA! HA! HA! NOTHING ESCAPES ME! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo's grab is quite basic. He reaches in front of him, trying to pull in foes with his arms and struggling with reaching over his jutting belly. When he catches you, he heaves you into the air, holding you in both arms, kicking and screaming. His pummel sees him swinging you against the ground, dealing an impressive - but laggy - 4%. It's unlikely that you'll pull it off more than twice at low %s.

---------------------------------------------------------FThrow--------------------------------------------------------
Javelin

I CAN LIFT A HUNDRED-POUND WEIGHT RIGHT OVER MY HEAD. WITH MY PINKY TOE! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo dashes forward - as quickly as he ever could - for about a platform, then tosses the foe through the air like a javelin. This is particularly humiliating for large foes like Bowser, Dedede, or Ganondorf. Wario, too. This attack deals 11% but has pretty good knockback that can KO at 125%. The tossed foe has a fairly long duration of hitstun, during which they remain in a javelin-like shape; if they hit anyone else on their trajectory, they'll deal them 11% in turn and soar on, so this is great - and again, humiliating - in doubles or FFA.

Notably, King Hippo can continue running straight out of this throw, so it's not impossible to chase and follow up at low percentages. Not impossible at all.

--------------------------------------------------------BThrow--------------------------------------------------------
Need a hug but you get none

I STILL WEIGH MORE THAN MY ISLAND DOES! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo delivers a bone-crushing punch to the foe's head, dealing 6% and knocking them insensate. He then sees fit to drop them behind him... but unfortunately, their suffering is not yet done, as King Hippo collapses into a sitting position right on top of them. This ricochets them out at a strong horizontal trajectory with an additional 6%, but has some pretty severe ending lag as he clambers back to his feet. Oh well hippo island what you gonna do.

As a fun extra, if this attack is used when the foe is shot out parallel and on the same level as a body of water - say, on Delfino Plaza - they'll skip along the water like a skipping stone. This is actually a tiny bit relevant, since it makes it much more possible to KO someone off the side of the screen even with water in the way.

--------------------------------------------------------UThrow--------------------------------------------------------
Simple Punch

I AM A BOXER! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo holds the foe in front of him with one hand, then punches them with the other. They go slightly into the air and are dealt 6%; this has no KO potential.

The only reason this attack is worth the time it takes to mention it is because this is fairly easy to follow up on with almost every single attack in your arsenal. This is one of your most reliable combo starters, and is the perfect first step to any string of aerials or any UTilt chain.

--------------------------------------------------------DThrow--------------------------------------------------------
XXX Large

DO YOU LIKE MY NEW TRUNKS? THEY ARE SIZE XXX LARGE! HA! HA! HA!

Oh no! King Hippo's trunks, too big even for him, begin to fall down, while his hands are busy dealing with the foe! How humiliating...

Of course, humiliation can on no account be accepted, so King Hippo immediately releases the captured foe and begins to frantically pull up his trousers. You can stay in this trunk stance for up to five seconds, or you can press any button to pull them up once and for all considerably earlier. Meanwhile, the dropped foe is dealt 7% from the mere impact of the fall from up on high, and can get up, with lag.

The main reason to use this is to take advantage of the trunk stance, since King Hippo faces the screen, protecting his belly bandage, and has super armor for the full five seconds, instead of it decaying as it usually would.

♔ Super​

--------------------------------------------------------SAttack-------------------------------------------------------
Throwing Your Weight Around

WHEN THE HIPPO JUMPS, THE WORLD TREMBLES! HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo throws his weight around in this Super Attack. First, you have to catch your foes. As soon as you have contact with them, King Hippo begins to carry them, lugging them over his shoulder. After fifteen seconds, no matter how many he’s caught, he walks to the edge of the stage and throws them bodily off, KOing at higher percentages. The last part of the move is him sitting down with is back to the people returning. He’s impossible to budge for the next eight seconds or so, and he makes it impossible to grab the ledge or to recover without going over him. he has super armor for the whole duration of this attack.

PLAYSTYLE

♔ How To​

King Hippo is certainly an odd combatant. His massive bulk belies the speed with which he can pull off his combos - but then, you should have expected them, since he is, after all, a boxer. His whole career is based on his ability to string together the punches and take some of his own - and he can do that, too, because he's invincible.

Well, invincible - that's a bit of a strong word. King Hippo is only invincible while he's not doing anything, and that only for a short time. He doesn't have any attacks lagless enough to safely refresh his super armor repeatedly, so he's forced to either fight or defend like a normal character. And things will be difficult enough for you if you try that, since King Hippo's rolls and dodges are pretty pathetic.

So all that's left is to fight.

King Hippo's fighting style is combo or be comboed. Make fullest use of nice pauses between attacks, when you can just stand there and absorb the damage dealt you, if the foe is foolish enough to attack you. But be very aware that if you whiff your combo starter - whatever it might be - you're likely to be dealt a whole lot of damage, very quickly. After all, hitstun dealt you is doubled, and you're heavy and large enough for even the smallest character to repeatedly prod you with quick attacks.

But if you land your first hit - well, the sky's the limit. You can follow up and chain together hit after hit after hit... for a while. Yes, after the foe's % starts skyrocketing, many of King Hippo's attacks lose their speedy comboability and become KO moves. This transition is surprisingly quick and abrupt; suddenly he smells blood, and it's time to land a big, heavy hit and end it. He has no shortage of ways to do this, and it's now, in the late game, that he becomes a real heavyweight, relying on heavyweight conventions.

King Hippo wins big, loses big. He either delivers a crushing blow or is knocked off his feet and just can't get back up. But you can count on him to be invulnerable unless the opponent's counterattacks are well timed.

♔ Combo​

Note that I'm only listing a few of the combos King Hippo is capable of here, since the large hitstun on many of his attacks make his potential almost infinite. Sprinkling in Inflates here and there already make your combos too many to name, so this section is only a start.

---------------------------------------------------------Ground--------------------------------------------------------

Combo Starter: UThrow

The most obvious of all, Simple Punch is just that; your bread and butter. Many attacks can follow; these are just the most obvious options.

FAir: Banzai Swing
From a grab, Simple Punch hits them into the air. Shorthop and use Banzai Swing while they're suffering the hitstun. The knockback is ultimately backwards if they're at a low percentage, so it's possible to shorthop again and use UAir - TKO Uppercut. These can be chained together in quick succession, or you can time and aim a DAir spike - Funnel Spin. Agile aerial combo that starts from the ground. FAir is interchangeable with NAir: see Aerial Combos. Payoff: 14-47%

DSmash: Fisthammer
Only works at low %s, when Fisthammer hits from below. After the Simple Punch, use this to hit them further up into the air and get a goodly amount of damage in. Follow this with an aerial, preferably UAir, but again, only at lower %s when the knockback is relatively small. Payoff: 20-42%

NSpec: Inflate
A shorthopped Inflate is a good follow-up in its own right, and is likely to hit the foe solidly into the ground, where you can continue with a backwards DTilt (Tumbledown) or a nice DAir (Funnel Spin) to bounce them off of their prone position and back up into the air, where you can continue juggling with either FAir, BAir, or UAir. Inflates are generally good to throw in at any time, and this is one of your few second attacks that puts the foe back on the ground. Payoff: Variable

Combo Starter: DSpec

Never forget about the potential impact of a well-timed Boxer's Stance. It's hard to read, and if your predictions are any better than the foe's, it puts them into a moment of lag that you can punish with just about any faster ground attack. The main uses:

FSpec: Hippo Combo
You can potentially land either the first or second step of the Hippo Combo; the first is your choice if you're ready to go for the KO, while the second can lead into more attacks by getting the foe into the air, where you have myriad options. At lower %s, you can try for a few UTilts chained together. Payoff: KO or 15-39%

Jab: "Give Them Zee Uppercut!"
This is very bare-bones here, and you usually have better options, but if they're just about undamaged, this can get them a bit higher into the air and not too high to make following up impossible. If they DI the wrong way, you can pull off an USmash Grounders and get quite a bit of damage by pulling them out of the air and then crushing them; the last, of course, could KO a light foe near the side of the stage. Payoff: 10-31%, KO potential

Combo Starter: Dash

Tumbling into a Clumsy King, Graceful King may not be the likeliest combo starter, but since you're poised to go straight into a jump and the opponent is suffering hitstun, it's not hard to start an aerial combo of some sort.

UAir: TKO Uppercut
The obvious follow-up, of course, is a few of these, in a manner DK would be proud of. But if you sweetspot an UAir, you've got a much better position to punish from, since the foe is falling with you; perhaps a few quick Reverse Banzai Swings, mingled with Banzai Swings? This is quite an agile-looking combo, and you can read more on what to do once they're up there in the Aerial section. Payoff: 22%+

-----------------------------------------------------------Air----------------------------------------------------------

Combo Starter: USpec

Throwing yourself at the foe from a good angle puts them right up next to you and quite vulnerable to whatever aerial you bring out next.

NAir: T-Stance
This is a versatile attack to follow with, since you can tilt it to sweetspot it on your fist. But maybe you don't want to, because that would make it pretty hard to follow up on. Sourspotting it means you can follow with FAir, and we all know the ramifications of that at low %s; juggling the foe between Banzai Swing and Reverse Banzai Swing like some wonky juggler. This is a nice example of the kind of thing King Hippo can do in the air if he gets rolling. Payoff: 10-38%+

DAir: Funnel Spin
Or you could just put the foe right back on the ground with a well-aimed Funnel Spin spike. Once they go down, you're falling right above them and can try to chain a second one of these, bouncing them back up into the air and making it possible to follow up with an UAir. This is the rare combo that works better once the foe is at a decent %, since that's when the spike will be most noticable... but be aware that once they go higher still, your attacks will lose their combo potential. Payoff: 8-38%

♔ Match-Up​

--------------------------------------------------King Hippo VS DK-------------------------------------------------
40/60

YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW WHAT WE DO TO MONKEYS BACK HOME! HA! HA! HA!

DK has range, and no projectiles - that's a good start toward countering King Hippo, since he can just sponge projectiles but characters with long reach are more likely to beat him to the punch when he decides to temporarily give up his super armor. Now, DK's main spacing mechanism - his Forward and Down Tilt - is less useful in this match-up, since it's meant to be chained together and King Hippo can just walk right through it and punish the lag. His greatest boon will be his grab; Donkey Kong has to flit about, using his agility and making heavy use of his shield, and choose a good moment when King Hippo is in a state of lag to grab him and go into a Cargo Throw.

Once King Hippo is on your back, his super armor is worth nothing. Most often, DK will want to throw him up after that and go directly into a brutal and debilitating chain of UAirs; they're potent enough against most characters, and with King Hippo's increased hitstun and rapid fall speed, DK can easily rack up upwards of 50% in a matter of moments.

This match-up isn't entirely one-sided, because DK is usually going to have to KO by chaining BAirs or by spiking, since King Hippo is altogether too heavy to be knocked out easily with a Smash and since his super armor usually protects him against DK's laggy Forward B Headbutt. Also remember that unless DK manages to get King Hippo into the air by punishing carefully, he's a big target and heavy and is likely to be comboed himself.

-------------------------------------------------King Hippo VS R.O.B.----------------------------------------------
35/65

THAT IS A NICE TOY. WHAT DOES IT DO? HA! HA! HA!

Rather unfortunately, King Hippo has trouble with R.O.B. Not because of his projectiles - that's his main boon in this match-up, because ROB can't camp and dodge and King Hippo can just bull his way through the occasional laser or Gyromite. No, the crucial attacks in this match-up are ROB's Up Tilt and Forward Air. Both can be strung together for massive amounts of damage on our unhappy King. FAir in particular is just brutal, and can be used to effectively WoP and shut King Hippo completely out of the game; there's no way to properly recover against that once ROB starts landing them and pushing him off the screen, and he can combo him right off the side and recover to boot.

Again, it's not totally one-sided; ROB is both lightweight and a big target, so yet again, it's much about who can get going first.

------------------------------------------------King Hippo VS Sloth------------------------------------------------
75/25

YOU THINK YOU ARE LAZIER THAN ME? I WAS ONCE MISTAKEN FOR A BOULDER! HA! HA! HA!

Finally, a match-up King Hippo likes! There are two things about Sloth that make him the perfect foe: he's a heavyweight, slow and laggy; and he relies on ranged attacks to keep the foe back. Ranged attacks, of course, don't work on spacing King Hippo, since he can walk right through them and bring the fight up close... and heavyweights are both perfect combo fodder and potentially even laggier than he is, making it quite difficult for them to punish King Hippo's own lag.

In fact, this whole match-up feels almost rigged. Sloth needs time to stand around and do nothing, which King Hippo is never going to give him; he's basically a pressure tank, dammit! He can try to anchor himself to his boulders, but King Hippo can just smash them with one of his stronger attacks and roll them away, and any halfway decent player is unlikely to give him the time to set up a hole in the ground to plant it in. And that beastly Side B? As impressive as it is against lighter foes, King Hippo's likely to take it on the chin and just bash the dozing Sloth with a fully charged FSmash.

Now, Sloth has one thing going for him - his grab game. Although FThrow is not all that wise a choice here - not even Sloth would dare chain himself to King Hippo - he can still deal out quite a bit of damage with careful choice of throw, and he can even make a pit into the bargain with DThrow, the only way he's likely to manage to do it. Still, landing a relatively laggy grab is going to be tough and is just another point against Sloth in this match-up.

---------------------------------------------King Hippo VS Adeleine----------------------------------------------
80/20

PAINT AND PAPER? HA! HA! HA! BOW BEFORE ME! HA! HA! HA!

This match-up is incredibly difficult for Adeleine, I'm afraid. King Hippo tends to neuter playstyles based entirely around traps or summons, since the only time he's vulnerable is when he's suffering wind-down lag - this automatically means that aggressive summons are practically useless unless your timing is so good that one hits him just as he's destroying another. No, in this match-up, the only hope Adeleine has is to rely mostly on her Self and Mystery Perspectives, and to swamp King Hippo with status effects and stage obstacles. You have to play with an incredible amount of foresight and tact to even stand a chance. Defensive summons will be vital here, to break up the onslaught King Hippo will doubtless try to pile onto you as soon as he reaches you; many of your Self summons can be used to navigate the stage with a dizzying speed, and that's completely vital, but you should always have a few buried here or running there, ready to attack King Hippo when he's not expecting it. Bait and switch is the name of the game for Adeleine here; you have to manually bring King Hippo into range and trick him into attacking.

This match-up is a true test of any Adeleine's mastering of her defensive game and a cakewalk for King Hippo against an Adeleine who makes mistakes.

---------------------------------------------King Hippo VS Khee'bler---------------------------------------------
80/20

IF YOU WANT TO STEAL FROM ME, YOU HAD BEST DO IT WHILE I'M EATING! HA! HA! HA!

Ah, another overwhelmingly positive match-up for King Hippo. As a general rule of thumb, characters with complex mechanics tend not to do well against his simple tank-like combo approach. Characters with fast attacks do.

Khee'bler has an obvious problem here: he cannot combo. King Hippo whiffs an attack, the worst that's going to happen to him is he'll have to sign a contract (and even this is tricky, since Kheebler needs multiple grabs to fully get it and therefore you need him to whiff an attack multiple times), and he has no "vital" attacks and can make do even with some gone. And hell, even if he breaks the terms of the contract he's not scared of Kheebler's Smashes; he can just sponge them or pull a quick Boxer's Stance and turn it into a beneficial situation.

No, for Khee'bler to win in this match-up, he'll need to be very, very cautious and use his speed to the fullest. He'll also need to make extraordinary use of his more thief-like attacks; his Dash Attack is probably his most potent weapon, a way to bait King Hippo into attacking an illusion and opening him up to return fire. DAir is useful in a similar way, pulling down a King Hippo trying to combo you and punishing him with a signed contract.

But don't be fooled. King Hippo is a powerful Khee'bler counter.

---------------------------------------------King Hippo VS Little Mac---------------------------------------------
40/60

The problem for you here is that Mac's playstyle is far too similar to the ideal "playing against" style for King Hippo. Mac loves interrupting attacks and waiting for an opening, and King Hippo hates foes who do those two things. Tagging Punch alone breaks half of your game, since your laggy attacks are all too easily read and interrupted. Mac's recovery is way too solid for comfort and his aerials chain into one another beautifully against a heavy and laggy King Hippo.

But it's not all bad. Mac also relies on the equipment Doc brings to the battlefield, and King Hippo doesn't care about traps, as we've ascertained. He can just sponge the thrown projectiles and continue onwards to bring the battle up close; that'll teach that MT Little Mac for relying on props and traps!

...But always be aware that, even if you're not taking knockback, you're still taking damage, and making it easier for Mac to pull off a KO - likely a gimp KO. King Hippo hates Little Mac just as much in Brawl as he does in Punch Out.

----------------------------------------------King Hippo VS Bald Bull---------------------------------------------
50/50

This match-up can really go either way. Bald Bull is big and slow, which is just the kind of foe big and slow King Hippo likes to fight... but Bald Bull has a surprisingly number of options that make actually comboing him a living hell. For a start, he has his FAir and BAir, which singlehandedly ruin many aerial combos. You think he's going to end up over there, but instead he ends up over here. His Down Special makes the lag on his moves negligible and makes it quite easy for him to punish King Hippo. His erratic attacks, many of which involve ducking down low, make him an uncertain entity and difficult to take aim at properly. Like all characters, grabbing King Hippo is tough for him, but once he does it, he's got the perfect start to a combo. Bald Bull can't really combo, but he is an offensive beast who can deal a lot of damage with one or two attacks alone. His recovery, so easily gimped, is much safer against King Hippo, a character who just can't gimp.

Oh, and his Side B is a great KO option, since a combo or two is bound to get his rage up to an extreme level and the super armor it affords him can clash head-on with King Hippo's super armor and live.

On the flip side, Up B is utterly useless on the ground, since King Hippo is bound to appoach anyway. And never forget that Bald Bull is quite easy to combo on the ground. King Hippo is also going to make liberal use of Boxer's Stance, since Bald Bull has few low attacks and what he does have is easy enough to read and block.

In this battle of the massive Punch Out villains, it's anyone's game, and truly an intriguing match-up.

--------------------------------------------King Hippo VS Von Kaiser--------------------------------------------
65/35

See, Von Kaiser's general game description mirrors King Hippo's. Both of them care deeply about Von Kaiser's %, and when he passes over into the higher %s and is ready to try to KO, King Hippo is likewise done with comboing and ready to KO. Therefore the game largely comes down to who does the better damage racking earlier in the game, and that's usually going to be King Hippo. Any character that's big and slow and not a super heavyweight is unlikely to reach high %s against him, so that's the over-100% desperation moves right out. Meanwhile both boxers are trying to KO the other, but King Hippo has the super armor and the weight advantage.

Von Kaiser has some quick attacks and others that are hard to see coming, so he can get the damage going fast enough... but the KO is going to cause problems for him. Meanwhile, trying to heal himself is fruitless; King Hippo will just use the opportunity to do even more damage with a simple combo. This is not a particularly beneficial match-up for him, and certainly not one he'll enjoy.

-------------------------------------------King Hippo VS Bear Hugger-------------------------------------------
45/55

You'd think this would be an easy match-up for King Hippo. After all, they don't come much bigger than Bear Hugger, or slower. He seems like the ideal combo target, a big heavy beast who's both laggy and a fastfaller. But no, because, of course, Bear Hugger is based around throws. Every single attack in his moveset is a grab, which completely cancels out the weakness of throws against King Hippo; it's difficult to grab him. Once he's grabbed, it's all too easy to throw him and follow up with at least one or two attacks, and that's already a significant damage swing.

And Bear Hugger is also adept at defending. By relying on his Side Special - his answer to King Hippo's Boxer's Stance - he can quite effectively suck up most of King Hippo's attacks, then counter with a simple Jab and do it all over again.

King Hippo here is going to be mostly relying on landing a grab before Bear Hugger lands a grab, then delivering a Simple Punch and starting a combo of some sort. KOing, however, is no easy matter, since Bear Hugger is just as big and heavy as you are. This is the battle of the super heavyweights, and it's largely about who can bash the hardest.

HA! HA! HA! I AM THE KING! HA! HA! HA!

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
King Hippo: Nice job here. As expected, very nice organization. The little quotes after each move, while not really fitting in System font, add personality to the 'set, even if the move titles are sometimes like them. The originality suffers somewhat due to the fact that he's a generic boxer, but you're K.Rool so the originality is still at a good level. My main concern is about balance. I know that you don't care about it, but this is scary. I mean, I know next to nothing about competitive Brawl, but... he can only take knockback when he's leaving himself open? Yeesh. Sounds like he could be the god of stalling after he gets a single KO. He can just throw out a moderately quick move every three seconds and he's impossible to KO. He doesn't really have trouble getting a lead either. Still, this may very well be not a problem given my balance problems. Speaking of important things that Rool doesn't care about, the Final Smash is incredibly generic. Still, despite these things I liked this set a good bit. Good job on the matchups, rather well-written. I wouldn't rank it over your Eevee-lutions, but it's certainly better than Kangaskhan. It was a very enjoyable, hilarious read if nothing else.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Meh...King Hippo is OK, but he needs a Royal Boomerang with his crown. You know, true K.Rool style.

(h)

Legitimate commentary coming later.

n88

Smash Lord
King Hippo was pretty good. As Wizzrd said, maybe too good. I was surprised to see such a focus on comboing, although that's not really a complaint. He's a boxer, but he's more original than I expected.

My only real gripe is that you classified ROB as a lightweight in the match-ups section. ROB clocks in around fourteenth or so on the weight list. Admittedly, he's no Bowser, but still....

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
KING HIPPO
A heavyweight combo character. . .Great. Another Kupa character. Hmmm. . .strange. It actually has good organization, is highly readable, doesn’t have over-originality/props/traps, and great match ups. This is certainly no Kupa set. HA! HA! HA! I will say, though, that I find it rather unfitting of King Hippo to be one. King Hippo definitely feels too agile in this moveset to me, you even admit it yourself at some points. It’s awkward to see a telly-tubby like Hippo being so acrobatic. Regardless, this still feels plenty Hippoish what with all the quotes (Complete with the obligatory “HA!”s). . .Oh. And you used a prop in the dthrow. What? You called Bear Hugger’s up special a prop! Costumes are props. You clearly want the fighters to be naked. HA! HA! HA!

In all seriousness, though, this is far more original then I expected it’d be in terms of original moves – almost too much so. You claim Bear Hugger goes close to crossing the border, but Hippo has few direct punches, preferring to abuse his flab and throw his weight around (While it’s fitting and I honestly don’t mind it, I find it rather hypocritical of you. HA! HA! HA!).

This moveset does certainly have character – even if the source material doesn’t honestly have any to speak of. HA! HA! HA! The flabbiness, the superarmor, the quotes. . .So Hippo-esque, really. Considering you have to reference the superarmor at the start of the set, I’d consider that a mechanic despite your claims, but eh. Speaking of the mechanic, I might’ve liked some more specific detail about just exactly when his super-armor goes down. Speaking of detail, I’d really like to see some more detail on that boring final smash. I honestly don’t have the faintest idea of what’s going on there. Honestly, you should’ve just used the stock final smash from Little Mac and Bald Bull. HA! HA! HA!

The playstyle in concept is rather boring at first. Combo character. But then when you throw in the fact that he’s relatively slow, a heavyweight, and that superarmor. . .He’s a glass cannon combo character, which plays quite interestingly. Considering he’s even somewhat of a pressure character based off his match ups despite being a heavyweight is all the more interesting. At the same time, though, he also has defensive elements due to his heavyweight status/superarmor, making for a very nice merging of the two defining elements of his playstyle.

. . .So then. Glass cannon heavyweight that’s fully capable of racking damage. Sound famaliar? Bear Hugger. HA! HA! HA! The defensive/boxing stance also makes the two seem all the more similar. It’s not really a complaint so much as something I noticed, the two are still plenty different what with their reliance on grabs/combos to damage, and Hippo’s superarmor.

The match ups are easily some of the best I’ve seen, and you seem to know Von Kaiser better then Smady himself in that match up, really. HA! HA! HA! Of course, I’m biased seeing three of my movesets are in those match ups, but I really enjoyed those. HA! HA! HA! They’re nice and deliciously detailed, and you’re clearly very familiar with the movesets you’re pitting Hippo up against (Oh wait, the two Brawl characters are your mains. HA! HA! HA!).

So yeah, I’ve really been leaping all over the place here, but this set oozes a very unique playstyle, plenty of unique moves while still staying true to the very limited and generic character, and is in general a pleasure to read. I laugh in the face of anyone who would place this below a mere Pokeset. HA! HA! HA! The closest thing I can come up with to -real- complaints are that Hippo’s too agile/acrobatic, the final smash is terrible, and that I question Hippo’s ability to just poke out with one of his many quicker attacks then hide behind his super-armor and repeat, but anyway, balance. . .HA! HA! HA!

half_silver28

Smash Ace
King Hippo: well... this may just be your best set yet Rool! The way you were able to make every attack seem interesting, even though a lot of them aren't the most creative move ever, was terrific. And I have to admit, the down smash is absolutely epic xD. Just about every one of Hippo's attacks served a purpose or led into another move (even the dreaded uair o.O), but of course, we've come to expect this from you. The way Hippo plays is extremely true to the games, and I like how he goes from a combo heavyweight to a power heavyweight once the foe takes enough damage. The playstyle section is great as always & gets right to the point, in fact, readability is one of Hippo's biggest pluses. To that end, Hippo's organization was great as well. The combo section was a nice touch as well, and the match-ups looked very good, although I'm not that good at judging those. *resists urge to complain about lack of taunts*

However, I'm going to have to agree with Wiz on the fact that Hippo could potentially stall infinitely when he gets ahead in stock. I know you don't care about balance, but you could possibly remedy this by having Hippo's super armor start to break at a high percent, or by making the lag of his quicker moves increase at a high percent. Other than that, I loved this set; awesome job! :bee:

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
King Hippo: Nice job here. As expected, very nice organization. The little quotes after each move, while not really fitting in System font, add personality to the 'set, even if the move titles are sometimes like them. The originality suffers somewhat due to the fact that he's a generic boxer, but you're K.Rool so the originality is still at a good level. My main concern is about balance. I know that you don't care about it, but this is scary. I mean, I know next to nothing about competitive Brawl, but... he can only take knockback when he's leaving himself open? Yeesh. Sounds like he could be the god of stalling after he gets a single KO. He can just throw out a moderately quick move every three seconds and he's impossible to KO. He doesn't really have trouble getting a lead either. Still, this may very well be not a problem given my balance problems. Speaking of important things that Rool doesn't care about, the Final Smash is incredibly generic. Still, despite these things I liked this set a good bit. Good job on the matchups, rather well-written. I wouldn't rank it over your Eevee-lutions, but it's certainly better than Kangaskhan. It was a very enjoyable, hilarious read if nothing else.
Not fitting in the System (Fixedsys, technically) font??? They're the only retro font out there! Not fitting, indeed.

As to balance stuff, I don't really think he's broken, if only because he doesn't HAVE any moderately quick moves. Just about every move he has can be countered.

And as to the Super Attack, sad to hear you feel that way. I wasn't aware that there was a massive prevalence of SAs involving throwing the foe off the stage manually. :(

Meh...King Hippo is OK, but he needs a Royal Boomerang with his crown. You know, true K.Rool style.

(h)

Legitimate commentary coming later.
(crs)

King Hippo was pretty good. As Wizzrd said, maybe too good. I was surprised to see such a focus on comboing, although that's not really a complaint. He's a boxer, but he's more original than I expected.

My only real gripe is that you classified ROB as a lightweight in the match-ups section. ROB clocks in around fourteenth or so on the weight list. Admittedly, he's no Bowser, but still....
Compared to most of the other characters his match-ups are against, he's lightweight. I didn't call him a lightweight, see, I called lightweight. ;)

KING HIPPO
A heavyweight combo character. . .Great. Another Kupa character. Hmmm. . .strange. It actually has good organization, is highly readable, doesn’t have over-originality/props/traps, and great match ups. This is certainly no Kupa set. HA! HA! HA! I will say, though, that I find it rather unfitting of King Hippo to be one. King Hippo definitely feels too agile in this moveset to me, you even admit it yourself at some points. It’s awkward to see a telly-tubby like Hippo being so acrobatic. Regardless, this still feels plenty Hippoish what with all the quotes (Complete with the obligatory “HA!”s). . .Oh. And you used a prop in the dthrow. What? You called Bear Hugger’s up special a prop! Costumes are props. You clearly want the fighters to be naked. HA! HA! HA!
He's somewhat acrobatic on a few attacks, yeah - DAir, DTilt, and... gee, I can't remember any others. Dash Attack, maybe? HA! HA! HA!

And he doesn't use his trunks as a weapon, unlike Bear Hugger! :mad:

In all seriousness, though, this is far more original then I expected it’d be in terms of original moves – almost too much so. You claim Bear Hugger goes close to crossing the border, but Hippo has few direct punches, preferring to abuse his flab and throw his weight around (While it’s fitting and I honestly don’t mind it, I find it rather hypocritical of you. HA! HA! HA!).
He has TONS of punches. FSpec, DSpec, Jab, Dash, UTilt, FSmash, DSmash, NAir, FAir, BAir, UAir, and two throws - more than half his moveset! And in terms of original moves, I don't think there are many or any attacks that couldn't be reasonably implemented into Brawl, are there? DThrow is borderline, but other than that...

This moveset does certainly have character – even if the source material doesn’t honestly have any to speak of. HA! HA! HA! The flabbiness, the superarmor, the quotes. . .So Hippo-esque, really. Considering you have to reference the superarmor at the start of the set, I’d consider that a mechanic despite your claims, but eh. Speaking of the mechanic, I might’ve liked some more specific detail about just exactly when his super-armor goes down. Speaking of detail, I’d really like to see some more detail on that boring final smash. I honestly don’t have the faintest idea of what’s going on there. Honestly, you should’ve just used the stock final smash from Little Mac and Bald Bull. HA! HA! HA!
BORING SUPER ATTACK? Bah.

The playstyle in concept is rather boring at first. Combo character. But then when you throw in the fact that he’s relatively slow, a heavyweight, and that superarmor. . .He’s a glass cannon combo character, which plays quite interestingly. Considering he’s even somewhat of a pressure character based off his match ups despite being a heavyweight is all the more interesting. At the same time, though, he also has defensive elements due to his heavyweight status/superarmor, making for a very nice merging of the two defining elements of his playstyle.
Good, good.

. . .So then. Glass cannon heavyweight that’s fully capable of racking damage. Sound famaliar? Bear Hugger. HA! HA! HA! The defensive/boxing stance also makes the two seem all the more similar. It’s not really a complaint so much as something I noticed, the two are still plenty different what with their reliance on grabs/combos to damage, and Hippo’s superarmor.
Yeah, the similarities between Bear Hugger and King Hippo - especially how they both have a defensive stance in their specials - are pretty blatant, although King Hippo was more than halfway done at the time you posted him and he was entirely done (in the actual moveset) by the time I read him. I suppose there's only so many ways to make a giant heavyweight boxer play.

The match ups are easily some of the best I’ve seen, and you seem to know Von Kaiser better then Smady himself in that match up, really. HA! HA! HA! Of course, I’m biased seeing three of my movesets are in those match ups, but I really enjoyed those. HA! HA! HA! They’re nice and deliciously detailed, and you’re clearly very familiar with the movesets you’re pitting Hippo up against (Oh wait, the two Brawl characters are your mains. HA! HA! HA!).
I knew you'd like them. I actually had a lot of fun writing them, too. ;)

So yeah, I’ve really been leaping all over the place here, but this set oozes a very unique playstyle, plenty of unique moves while still staying true to the very limited and generic character, and is in general a pleasure to read. I laugh in the face of anyone who would place this below a mere Pokeset. HA! HA! HA! The closest thing I can come up with to -real- complaints are that Hippo’s too agile/acrobatic, the final smash is terrible, and that I question Hippo’s ability to just poke out with one of his many quicker attacks then hide behind his super-armor and repeat, but anyway, balance. . .HA! HA! HA!
HA! HA! HA! I don't know whether you're telling me that this is better than Espeon/Umbreon or not, or whether that's a good or bad thing. HA! HA! HA!

King Hippo: well... this may just be your best set yet Rool! The way you were able to make every attack seem interesting, even though a lot of them aren't the most creative move ever, was terrific. And I have to admit, the down smash is absolutely epic xD. Just about every one of Hippo's attacks served a purpose or led into another move (even the dreaded uair o.O), but of course, we've come to expect this from you. The way Hippo plays is extremely true to the games, and I like how he goes from a combo heavyweight to a power heavyweight once the foe takes enough damage. The playstyle section is great as always & gets right to the point, in fact, readability is one of Hippo's biggest pluses. To that end, Hippo's organization was great as well. The combo section was a nice touch as well, and the match-ups looked very good, although I'm not that good at judging those. *resists urge to complain about lack of taunts*

However, I'm going to have to agree with Wiz on the fact that Hippo could potentially stall infinitely when he gets ahead in stock. I know you don't care about balance, but you could possibly remedy this by having Hippo's super armor start to break at a high percent, or by making the lag of his quicker moves increase at a high percent. Other than that, I loved this set; awesome job! :bee:
Thanks, silver! That's great to hear!

As to that balance suggestion, Warlord said something along the same lines when I first proposed the mechanic, but I felt it would be a bit OoC; doesn't happen in the games, after all! Maybe you're right, though; if a lot of people point it out, I might (GASP) go back and change it.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I can only repeat what everyone else has said about King Hippo. It was cool to see a combo-based heavyweight that ACTUALLY can combo well to be rather interesting.

Having said that, there is one detail I really need explaining...how do the moves that work when the enemy is at higher damages work when there is MORE THAN ONE ENEMY? =P

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, MW pretty much pinned my comments near perfectly. It's a little strange to see him so combo-oriented, but Hippo actually has a unique take on the combo genre with his super armor. Some would cry broken, but with all his slow moves, this is not problematic. Blah blah blah, great matchups, organzation, readability, blah, blah, blah. Nothing else more that I can say except that it's filled to the brim with character. I don't know if I like it more than Bear Hugger, but it's definitely better than Kangaskhan. Great job.

HA! HA! HA!

And I resent MW inferring that all my sets have bad organization, weak match-ups, have too much originality, and aren't readable. Did you all completely forget Bleak?

What about Bleak?!

*angry face*

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
As poorly qualified as I am to tell it like it is, I hope you will bear with me while I begin this sincere and earnest attempt. And please don't get mad with me if, in doing so, I must spread awareness of the grotty nature of The Hippo Islands's litanies. I assume you already know that my prime directive is to examine the social and cultural conditions that lead The Hippo Islands to coordinate a revolution, but I have something more important to tell you. In general, The Hippo Islands is hardly the first proponent of nit-picky, bloody-minded antagonism and it is unlikely to be the last. Sure, there are exceptions, but while it insists that neopaganism is the only alternative to scapegoatism, reality dictates otherwise. Actually, if you want a real dose of reality, look at how The Hippo Islands owes us all an apology. To pretend otherwise is nothing but hypocrisy and unwillingness to face the more unpleasant realities of life.

An axiom among The Hippo Islands's assistants is that individual worth is defined by race, ethnicity, religion, or national origin. Its confreres probably don't realize that because it's not mentioned in the funny papers or in the movies. Nevertheless, one of The Hippo Islands's favorite tricks is to create a problem and then to offer the solution. Naturally, it's always its solutions that grant it the freedom to make all of us pay for its boondoggles, never the original problem.

Trumpeted so many times, The Hippo Islands's viewpoints have begun to feed on themselves, to generate their own publicity, to cow their opponents not by argument but by sheer repetition, and to rule with an iron fist. I should note that if The Hippo Islands gets its way, we will soon be engulfed in a Dark Age of irrationalism and indescribable horror. That's why I'm telling you that it has nothing but contempt for you, and you don't even know it. That's why I feel obligated to inform you that it recently went through a totalitarianism phase in which it tried repeatedly to disguise the complexity of color, the brutality of class, and the importance of religion and sexual identity in the construction and practice of Bonapartism. In fact, I'm not convinced that this phase of its has entirely passed. My evidence is that The Hippo Islands wants nothing less than to rot out the foundations of our religious, moral, and political values, hence its repeated, almost hypnotic, insistence on the importance of its shambolic schemes. Even The Hippo Islands's loyalists, who are legion, couldn't deal with the full impact of The Hippo Islands's maneuvers. That's why they created "The Hippo Islands-ism," which is just a depraved excuse to teach snippy concepts to children. In closing, all that I ask is that you join me to stop The Hippo Islands and speak up and speak out against The Hippo Islands.

Junahu

Smash Ace
It's seems that I'm just in time to comment on a fantastic new moveset;

Bear Hugger! So very quickly after Bald Bull, you take Bear Hugger and fashion an even better moveset.
Between him and the Bull, I don't think any other boxing set can come close to matching their creativity and in-character playstyles.
Unfortunatley, I'd have to say that I prefer Bull over the Hugger, if only because he was the set that proved boxers could work in Smash.
That said, Bear hugger does have a lot going for him (and I especially must point out again that you did a spectacular job of keeping him in character). You've always emphasised grab centric games, so it's nice to finally see a moveset from you that drags this concept to its natural conclusion.
And I do apologise that my own set shamelessly ripped off Hugger's defensive stance. I really can't think of a much better way to represent it than the way you have.

Unfortunately, all these boxing sets are starting to take their toll on me, and I do NOT envy the next guy who posts a Punch Out character. We already have enough punches and "attacks by falling over" moves to last a lifetime.

Bear Hugger has special mechanic boosting Final Smash!? ... I guess I can't complain about that kind of stuff anymore... darn you JOE!

King "Generic Boxer" Hippo most impresses me with his incredibly cool defensive submechanics, some of which I was devising myself for another boxing moveset... the up-special was also pretty clever

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver

great tiger

a: punch forward
dash attack: stops and punches forward hard

fsmash: punches really hard
usmash: punches up
dsmash: punches down

nspec: very strong charge punch
fspec: runs and punches fast
uspec: punches up like mario
dspec: punches into ground causes earthquakes

ftilt: ALLAH ACKBAR
utilt: ALLAH ACKBAR
dtilt: You lost the game.

nair: punches
fair: punches forward
bair: punches behind
uair: punches up
dair: punches down

pummel: punches
fthrow: throws forward
bthrow: throws backward
uthrow: throws upward
dthrow: throws downward

final smash: runs Plorf over with a taxi

BurningCharizard

Smash Cadet

Machamp

The Superpower Pokemon has joined the Brawl to prove his immense strength and fighting prowess! Can the other Brawlers stand up to his lightning fists of fury?

Machamp may be slow to move around but he's quick to launch his fists. A heavyweight with a twist, almost all of his punching attack come out fast and have little lag. His basic moves may be considered weak for a Pokemon of his power, but they're only setups for his devastating tilts and smashes!

STATISTICS

Height - same height as Ganondorf
Weight - between Snake and King Dedede
Walk speed - same as Lucas
Run speed - same as Samus
Fall speed - same as Bowser
Air speed - same as Mario

A BUTTON ATTACKS

A - punches with a random fist. Very quick, little lag, hardly any knockback.
Standard A Combo - punches four times with random fists until the fourth fist hits. Some lag after the fourth punch, can be kept to 2 or 3 hits to avoid the lag, though the fourth punch does have some knockback.
Dash Attack - lowers his head and rams the opponent.
Forward Tilt - Machamp does a backhand sweep with the two arms on one side, hitting twice and dealing good knockback if both connect. He spreads his arms out a little, so it's possible to be hit by only one arm (be above or below the level of the upper or lower arm). Being hit by one arm does half of the damage and knockback.
Up Tilt - Machamp does a "Raise da roof!" with his upper arms, similar to Wario's but with better upward range (and worse side coverage). Does good knockback and is a good follow-up for his Up Throw at lower percentages.
Down Tilt - brings his lower fists together in a pincer punch just above the ground. Deals good upward knockback if sweetspotted, bad horizontal knockback if sourspotted. Has a little better range than Sonic's Down Tilt but doesn't move Machamp forward.
Neutral Air - Machamp spreads his arms in an X and spins like a top with one rotation. Good for keeping people away, has decent range and power throughout the spin.
Back Air - Machamp punches behind himself with both arms on one side, similar to his Forward Tilt. Same mechanics, except he keeps his arms close together so it only hits once.
Up Air - Machamp punches above himself twice with his upper arms, with a half-second delay between punches. Both punches deal the same damage and knockback, and unless at low percentages both punches will not connect due to the knockback. The delay between the punches can also punish someone who comes in after or tries to dodge the first punch and mistimes his attack.
Down Air - Machamp uses his legs for once, kicking below himself in a manner similar to his Up Air, two kicks with a delay. If the tips of the feet connect at maximum extension, it will be a powerful spike, otherwise it deals only moderate diagonal downwards knockback.
Forward Smash - Machamp rears back, then gives a single mighty punch with all four fists. High damage and knockback, similar starting and ending lag to Ganondorf's F-Smash. Can break a Shield if fully charged (a nod towards Brick Break).
Up Smash - Machamp crouches and delivers a tremendous uppercut with two fists on one side. High damage and knockback, but only hits opponents in front of him (grounded or in the air, though it does have good range).
Down Smash - Machamp does a dual backhand sweep with all four arms to both sides of himself. The highest Down Smash, as his upper arms cover an area above his lower arms. High damage and knockback, horizontal if the opponent is hit on the ground and diagonally vertical if hit in the air.

THROWS

Range - a little shorter than Donkey Kong's.
Grab - seizes the opponent with a lower arm, holds with both lower hands.
Pummel - beats on the foe with his upper arms, similar to Goro from Mortal Kombat.
Forward Throw - does an underhand toss with both lower arms in an "Alley OOP!" manner.
Up Throw - grabs the foe with his upper hands and tosses him straight up.
Back Throw - uses both hands on one side to carelessly fling the foe backwards.
Down Throw - drops the foe to the ground and stomps on him, sending him bouncing in a random direction.

B BUTTON ATTACKS

B - Elemental Punches/Dynamic Punch. Machamp punches with one of the three Elemental Punches and Dynamic Punch. Each punch is assigned to a specific fist, and he will do one randomly with each push of the B button. Fire Punch deals additional Fire damage, Ice Punch has a chance to freeze, Thunder Punch does additional Electric damage, and Dynamic Punch is very powerful and has high knockback. All four punches come out at the same speed and have the same ending lag (rather short). Dynamic Punch's chance to occur is lower than the other three's.
Side B - Bullet Punch. Similar to Skull Bash, Green Missile and Quick Draw. Machamp charges up power, then unleashes a lightning-fast punch with a glowing fist. The range of the attack changes little (uncharged it has the same range as Green Missile uncharged, fully charged it goes 25% farther), and the power also increases only a bit, but it has the fastest charge and movement of all of them, moving almost as quickly as Pikachu's Quick Attack.
Up B - Seismic Toss. Machamp leaps upwards and attempts to grab an opponent. If he connects during an aerial use of Seismic Toss, he flips forward while holding the foe and then drops straight down, pile-driving him head-first into the ground. The range and forward motion of the initial leap is similar to Ganondorf's Dark Dive, and the forward flip covers the same distance as Bowser's Flying Slam (Seismic Toss cannot be influenced, though, the distance is fixed). If Machamp executes the move from a standing position and connects, he goes straight up and back down again, slamming the foe into the ground.
Down B - Low Kick. Machamp's only other leg-based attack. Machamp slides forward with leg extended, kicking the foe. Short range, but can be done in the air, moving laterally and somewhat downward, but can only be used once in the air. The damage and knockback is dependent on the foe's weight and damage. For example, a 0% Jigglypuff will hardly be affected (3% damage and no knockback) while a 150% Bowser is a guaranteed KO. However, medium starting lag and long ending lag means you can't abuse it.

FINAL SMASH
Fissure

Machamp begins pounding on the ground with all four fists, shaking the entire stage and causing eruptions of debris to fly up, similar to Clefairy's move from Melee. The closer to Machamp, the stronger the shaking and higher the debris bursts, along with the damage and knockback increasing. All platforms and surfaces are affected, and the attack can be somewhat avoided by staying in the air (which is difficult for many characters). On small and medium stages Fissure is practically guaranteed to do some severe damage, if not KO. Fissure lasts 8 seconds.

RANDOM ANIMATIONS

Standing pose - bobs his body a little and flexes his hands, similar to his Pokemon Stadium idle pose.
Idle animations - looks at one upper arm, then the other, admiring them; grinds his foot against the ground while grinning menacingly
Walking motion - walks with a swagger, his chest out and head high.
Running motion - runs while leaning forward, lower arms down and out to his sides, upper arms drawn back in a ready-to-punch position.
Taunt 1 - strikes a bodybuilder pose and flexes his upper arms, saying "Maaaaaa!"
Taunt 2 - strikes a different bodybuilder pose and flexes his lower arms, saying "Chaaaaamp!"
Taunt 3 - rapidly punches with all four fists while yelling, the same as his Pokemon Stadium introduction.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
I will say something about Machamp since he is at the bottom. It is a bit of a surprise that you have detail regarding the moves. Things it needs, I think: A playstyle, Definitely damage percentages for each move. He's got a good enough amount of detail that can tell us what he would be like in brawl. Things that other would say would be "Give all the attacks names, orginality". I believe these days playstyle is a large emphasis in a moveset. I think you largely need damage percentages and playstyle. Oh, and a moveset gets more attention if it is at the top of the page, though this is just a simple word of advice if you want a set to get more attention. If you don't know this already, you can take your set to the review que on the canvas or Chief Mendez wordpress. Should do that, as well as look at other sets in the competition.

My SM also has a small update just for the sake of further completing it...
Falsehood-Path

Junahu

Smash Ace
n88_2004 and ShinoandtheBallonFighter mentioned this place when I was looking for a good Umbreon set. Can these be made with a code and can you put them in Brawl?
Sadly, this is the wrong thread for that. This is purely people theorising movesets for fun.

Anyone else notice that this is the second person to come here asking for an implementable moveset? And most of us are already subconciously toning down our unworkable ideas to make them more workable...

n88

Smash Lord
Sadly, this is the wrong thread for that. This is purely people theorising movesets for fun.

Anyone else notice that this is the second person to come here asking for an implementable moveset? And most of us are already subconciously toning down our unworkable ideas to make them more workable...
Did you notice that they both anted Umbreon? Well, what wth PSA and Model hacking going strong, it's only natural to want your favorite characters in the game. Yeah, I get a feeling that he won't be the last guy to come here for a moveset.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman

PROTOMAN.EXE

/ / Summary

ProtoMan.EXE is a markedly different character than Proto Man. Hailing from the Battle Network Series, ProtoMan.EXE is an internet navigation program, or Navi, built and operated by Eugene Chaud, a twelve-year old prodigy and Official internet operative. He serves as a high-ranking police officer fighting netcrimes, even organizing a team to complete liberate the internet after a hostile takeover.

ProtoMan.EXE focuses on cyberswords as his main mode of weaponry, to the point of exclusivity, and his tactics primarily involve quickly jumping forward into an opponents area and slashing at them before retreating, keeping his guard up otherwise. He is intensely disciplined, restrained, and cold to all but the people he trusts most, which is primarily limited to Chaud. He has something of a rivalry with MegaMan.EXE and Lan Hikari as well.

He also has a collection of music to share with you:

Save Our Planet!
Sad Rain
Two of Braves
Hero
Theme of Blues (ProtoMan.EXE's Theme)
Nebula Grey Battle

/ / Stats

• Movement Speed: Very Fast
  • Aerial Mobility: Poor
  • Attack Speed: Lightning Quick
  • Priority: Consistently Excellent
  • Power: Average
  • Range: Relatively Balanced
  • Size: Tall but Middleweight

Wow, those stats sure look complementary! ProtoMan's only true weaknesses are a poor air game and a significant bit of ending lag, which he still covers with great attack speed and defense. More on his strengths and weaknesses when we get to playstyle though. We've got a mechanic to discuss!

...Okay, so its not really a mechanic, but listen up! Swords work significantly different on the internet, as you may imagine. While the blade itself is the primary part of the attack, the tip of the sword creates a sort of energy arc as its swung. This acts as a sort of medium priority projectile; it only does a little damage and hitstun, and practically no knockback. The arc is fairly wide though, and usually isn't difficult to hit the opponent with, especially on big attacks.

What does it do then? First of all, the arc lingers slightly after the sword swing proper ends, giving ProtoMan a bit more of a chance to hit. It also can cancel out with other projectiles or attacks, making ProtoMan's sword swings give him a bit of defense too! When listing damage at the end, the sword's damage will be red, but this field's damage will be blue, so keep that in mind!

/ / Standards and Tilts

Jab Attack: Blade Dance

ProtoMan leans back slightly, and then dashes about a battlefield paltform forward, his sword extended. ProtoMan flies past any opponents he crosses while doing this attack, nicking them with his sword at very close range. ProtoMan finishes the attack by holding his sword far to his side, facing away from the opponent behind them.

But wait! If you tap the A button again, while ProtoMan is in that pose, ProtoMan flashes again, almost instantly doing the attack again from the other direction! Time it right, and he'll do it one more time, finishing with a small flourish.

Remember, you don't have to do all three attacks. Mix up how many slashes you do, and make a few feints. Your opponent doesn't know when, or on what side, you'll end the attack.

This move has a bit of starting lag, but very little ending lag unless you do all three slashes. Average priority too, but will never KO.

[3%] [1%]

Dash Attack: Feint Slice

ProtoMan lunges forth quickly, but instead of stabbing or slashing with the full momentum of the dash, he instead simply does a quick chop with the flat of his blade, stopping all movement. It has very little knockback and practically no KO potential, and only average priority. This move has ridiculously tiny lag, making it great for feints and approaches. Its also quite possibly the only move that ProtoMan can truly combo with, comboing with his StepSword and BackStepSword, assuming the opponent doesn't break through the attack first.
[3%] [1%]

Forward Tilt: StepSword

ProtoMan's signature attack, no doubt. Protoman flashes briefly, then appears about a battlefield platform ahead, and immediately slashes forward with his sword in an arc that stretches from just slightly behind him to his full sword's length in front of him. Protoman then stops still for about a quarter of a second in lag, before flashing back to his original position.

That's if there's no one on the same platform that he's on. If someone is on the same level as he is and is within about a third of Final Destination of him in front of him, ProtoMan will jump straight to that opponent and attack, still retaining the same lag.

This move KO's at about 200%, making it a possible killer at Sudden Death, but otherwise the knockback is very low. It has strong priority though, making it almost impossible to break through considering its speed.

[6%] [3%]

Down Tilt: BackStepSword

ProtoMan's signature attack, no doubt. Protoman flashes briefly, then appears about a battlefield platform ahead, and immediately slashes forward with his sword in an arc that stretches from just slightly behind him to his full sword's length in front of him. Protoman then stops still for about a quarter of a second in lag, before flashing back to his original position.

Wait, didn't I just read this move? Yes, but there's a twist you see; ProtoMan does this attack facing the opposite direction he started from! It has the same damage, knockback, and priority as StepSword, as well as ability to hone in on foes nearby. Use StepSword and BackStepSword to chip away at your opponent, them never knowing which side you're going to appear on. Fun!

[6%] [3%]

Up Tilt: AntiSword

ProtoMan holds his sword forward, like in a fencing position as long as you hold this button input. When released, ProtoMan steps back, and swings his sword forward, a small low priority sonic boom shooting out dealing little damage and knockback.

This attack really kicks in when someone tries to slash at ProtoMan though; any attack with a disjointed hitbox is immediately parried and canceled by ProtoMan, and deals the opponent a bit of hitstun for being countered, while ProtoMan instantly loses all lag. I don't care if it's Ike's FSmash, Dedede DSpecial, or hell, Olimar's FSmash, AntiSword stops it.

As you may imagine, this move has a good bit of starting lag, and a good bit of ending lag if used for attack. Don't spam this, just use it when you get a chance or your opponent badly telegraphs an attack. It also doesn't work against most attacks from behind, so watch that.

[3%]

/ / Smash Attacks

Forward Smash: VarialSword

No doubt the most versatile blade ever made, this shifting magical sword is a staple Smash for ProtoMan. ProtoMan's blade entirely disappears when he charges this attack, and green sparks shoot out of the hilt. When the attack finally executes, a rather small sword slices forward, doing good damage and knockback, KOing most foes uncharged at around 130%. A good bit of ending lag, but very little starting lag, and excellent priority.

The Varial Sword has secret properties though. During charging, certain button inputs will change the shape and length of the sword; when successful, there will be a quick ding, signalling that an input has been registered and will be activated upon release.

The combinations are thus:

• LongSword: (Down, Down-Right, Right) The LongSword slashes in a small downward arc, stretching a bit more than a stagebuilder block forward.
  • WideSword: (Up, Right, Down) The least laggy of all the swords, WideSword stretches from the bottom of ProtoMan, out about the length of the regular sword, and up above ProtoMan.
  • FighterSword: (Left, Down-Left, Down, Down-Right, Right) The FighterSword is laggy and, but stretches a whopping two stagebuilder blocks forward in a huge arc, although the attack doesn't hit very much above ProtoMan's head The energy arc for this attack is very large, as this sword has a wide bulb at the tip.
  • DreamSword: (Down, Left, Up, Right, Down) Protoman swings a large sword, slightly shorter than the LongSword in a full circle angled slightly upwards. Laggy, but covers ProtoMan fairly well, although a crouched Snake avoids it.
  • Double Sonic Boom: (Left, B, Right, B) Protoman steps back quickly, and shoots a sonic boom out of his sword, and then steps back again before shooting another one. The sonic booms carry forward about four stagebuilder blocks slowly, and do much less knockback than the other Varial Swords, and don't carry the energy arc damage.
[11-19%] [5%]

Up Smash: Z-Saber

ProtoMan raises both his arms above his head, his sword disappearing and his hands fusing into one hilt, which shimmers with blue sparkles. When finished charging, a giant shimmering blue sword bursts from ProtoMan's hands, and ProtoMan delivers a savage overhead swing into the ground in front of him, reaching even further than Ike's F-Smash.

By far ProtoMan's laggiest move, and his strongest. Its not nearly as laggy as comprable character's giant swings, and not nearly as powerful either, KOing usually at 90%. ProtoMan is fairly vulnerable after the attack, having to disrupt the sword, unfuse his hands, and resummon his regular blade. Fortunately, ProtoMan can regain movement once his hands are seperated, but he still suffers huge ending lag; enemies hit by it though will be hard-pressed to punish him for it though.

ProtoMan has a hard time getting a good chance to use this move, even after a successful AntiSword it'll be difficult to pull off, making this one of his most situational, but potentially devastating moves.

[15-21%] [6%]

Down Smash: Muramasa

Perhaps the most frightening sword in the entire series, ProtoMan's regular blades disappears as a black katana drenched in virtual blood slides out of his hand, glowing with a purple aura as it charges. When released, ProtoMan steps forward quickly and savagely stabs forward at the enemy.

The Muramasa is powered by blood, and the more damage ProtoMan takes, the greater the damage of this sword; therefore the first number shown is for ProtoMan at 0%, and the second for him at 100% where it maxes out. Knockback is surprisingly low, KOing at about 130%. Average starting lag, but significant ending lag, and just average priority, the worst of all three smashes. This sword also, interestingly, does not leave an energy arc.

[6-13%, 19-29%]

/ / Specials

Neutral Special: Sonic Boom

One of ProtoMan's few ranged options, its a rather simple one. ProtoMan swipes his sword in front of him, and the energy blade shoots out, making a sonic boom. The sonic boom has the same priority and shape of the energy arc from StepSword and BackStepSword, but also has a push effect, sliding enemies away from ProtoMan. The arc is about a stagebuilder block long lengthwise, but is only slightly taller than Olimar.

ProtoMan can put these blades out relatively quickly, and can aim them up or down somewhat. They fly slowly at first, but pick up speed until they reach ProtoMan's own significant run speed, and fly to the edge of the map. They have very poor KO potential, KOing at about 220% though.

ProtoMan can use these for spacing, getting damage from a distance, and punishing those annoying campers; they're really an all purpose tool for him. They're also his most predictable move though, so don't just tab B a few times and see what happens. But I don't have to tell you that, do I?

[6%]

Down Special: Proto Shield

ProtoMan's blade disappears as he places both hands in front of him, a solid red shield quickly appearing in front of him, guarding him from head to toe. This shield lasts for a little less than a second, but will absorb any single frontal attack. If struck, the shield bounces away as a wave of energy that ignores priority, dealing slight knockback and hitstun, leaving ProtoMan with a bit of ending lag.

This move is difficult to pull off correctly, seeing as it can only absorb a single hit. It serves as an actually damaging counter though, and can protect ProtoMan against some projectiles, but will barely help against Falco's blaster. Still, a well timed Proto Shield can tip the balance into ProtoMan's favor.

[5%]

Side Special: Sonic Rush

ProtoMan dashes forward quickly, lunging about three stagebuilder blocks forward leaving speed lines behind, ending the attack in a quick close range slash, ending it soon if he reaches an opponent. If ProtoMan does this move offstage, he enters fallspecial at the end. Fairly quick to start, but with a bit of ending lag, and only decent priority and range. KOs at about 145%.

However! If ProtoMan presses the shield button before executing the ending slash, he'll instead hop back a little less than a stage builder block, with practically no lag. Up Tilt, Forward Tilt, Down Tilt, you can do any of them right out of the hop. What fun!

[8%] [3%]

Up Special: Jump Sword

A recovery move, ProtoMan rears back before disappearing, reappearing about four stagebuilder blocks up, delivering a slash in an arc from his head to shoulder with his sword, then flashing back down to where he started. Average starting and ending lag, decent priority. It also sweetspots the ledge.

ProtoMan doesn't go into fallspecial when he ends this move though! That means that he can use it to attack an edgehogger once, then again to grab the edge. It will also KO someone holding on to the edge at about 180%. He can also stall in the air with this too, but the ending lag and starting lag makes it less effective than Fox's Reflector for air stalling.

This move will also home in on enemies above ProtoMan though, but it requires a good bit of placement to do correctly. It's a little punishable, but it can be used to poke at aerial enemies and get some damage, and maybe even a KO in at high percentages.

[6%] [2%]

/ / Aerials

Neutral Aerial: Slasher

ProtoMan's sword shrinks down to a third of its usual length, and ProtoMan assumes a defensive position... in midair? This move has a good bit of starting lag, but if anyone touches ProtoMan directly, or even just gets their hurtbox too close, he immediately twists and does a full spinning cut close in, that KOs at 140%. ProtoMan has little ending lag if he slashes with this move, but a good bit of it if he doesn't.
[8%] [3%]

Forward Aerial: Cross Swords

ProtoMan leans forward and delivers a quick diagonal slice from above his head down, and then immediately does a second slash from his feet up, creating an X pattern out of the energy arcs in front of him. The hitboxes from the two sword slashes stack, but the energy field doesn't. This move is fairly high priority, and the second slash can KO at about 150%, sooner near the blast zone and is easy to hit.

Quite above average ending lag, but surprisingly small starting lag. If you intend to shorthop this move, make sure you input it immediately after beginning the hop, or ProtoMan will suffer a lot of ending lag.

[6%] [3%]

Down Aerial: LongBlade

ProtoMan's sword glows a deep orange before he stabs out shortly and quickly, then slams his sword downwards, fully extended. This creates an interesting arc that stretches from just outside ProtoMan's leg to a good bit below his feet. It's a sex kick, and although the attack has a good bit of backwards knockback when first executed, enough to KO at 150%, afterwards it only has a weak hitbox that knocks any enemy who touches it down. Average lag all around this time, and excellent priority.
[5%] [3%]

Up Aerial: WideBlade

ProtoMan's sword shifts into a purple blade with a wide tip, and he slashes above him, in a circular arc, from behind him to in front of him. This move has an especially large energy arc that has higher priority than usual, and can protect him from a lot of attacks from above, such as Lucario's Dair. Slightly below average starting lag, but fairly little ending lag, unlike most of his moves. This move can rarely KO though, even fairly high in the air it'll only KO at around 160%.
[5%] [3%]

Back Aerial: Back Slash

ProtoMan does a quick slash to his right backwards, and then a second slash to his left. This attack has a rather small hitbox compared to most of his moves, and is a little hard to hit, but is fast and has little starting and ending lag. Average priority. Can KO at around 140% too, but you'll rarely use this move.
[6%] [3%]

/ / Grab and Throws

Grab: Lefty Grab

ProtoMan reaches out and tries to grab an enemy with his left hand, since his right hand is, you know, a sword. Laggy and fairly short range, its not the worst grab in the game, but its cetainly in the running. Once ProtoMan does grab an enemy though, his sword reverts to a hand so he can hold his opponent properly by the shoulders. Since he doesn't have a sword now though, his pummel is a fairly ineffectual knee to the chest.

[2%]

Forward Throw: TriSlash

ProtoMan shoves his opponent away, and summons his sword back, swinging viciously three times. The opponent can DI out of the final hit though, making it not the most effectual throw. KO's at about 140%, assuming you actually got the third hit in.
[4%] [1%]

Down Throw: Drop Blade

ProtoMan throws his arm down on the opponent's shoulder, dropping them to the ground. ProtoMan recovers his blade and then stabs downwards. Does good damage, but very little knockback, and opponents at lower percentages, around 30% or so, can actually roll out of harms way! Dropping them at least does some damage though, so it wouldn't be a total loss.
[3%, 8%] [2%]

Up Throw: Sword Sling

ProtoMan lifts his enemy with his left hand, while his right reverts into its blade form. He then loosens his grip, and slings them overhead on his sword. The knockback is set, and won't ever KO, but does throw the opponent fairly high and back into the air. It's not a particularly useful throw, but its always an option if for whatever reason you need some space. It also doesn't generate an energy arc.
[9%]

Back Throw: Assassin Sword

ProtoMan rearranges his grip, grabbing his opponent's neck in his left hand and swinging him overhead while regenerating his sword. While his opponent is swinging back around, upside down, ProtoMan stabs right at him with the sword. Easily the most reliable of all of ProtoMan's throws it can KO at around 140% and does good damage, knocking the enemy way back from ProtoMan at a nearly horizontal angle.
[8%] [4%]

/ / Final Smash: Delta Ray Edge

ProtoMan has the Smash Ball! Its time to activate the best attack in his arsenal. ProtoMan lunges forth at an unearthly speed, and time completely stops, the background fading to black. If ProtoMan ran into an enemy, he slashes at them once, and they take good damage and knockback, KOing at about 120%.

Wait what? That sucks. Ah, but just like Blade Dance, this is a three part attack! If you press the B button exactly as you hear the slashing sound from ProtoMan's attack, he jumps to the other side and delivers another one. Do it again, and ProtoMan jumps back one more time, slashing again, and a giant Delta appears out of the energy arcs from all three attacks, now KOing at 80%! ProtoMan also poses with his sword at a ready position, facing away from the blast. How awesome.

[15%] [5%]

/ / Playstyle

Alright, so ProtoMan. He's got strong ground game, good approach options, and plenty of mindgames. ProtoMan also has incredible defense, between AntiSword, Proto Shield, and the special properties of his sword slashes. So where is weak? For one thing, he can't rack damage particularly quickly, or fight in the air as effectively. In fact, he has a lot of trouble fighting off opponents attacking from the air; all of his tilts and smashes except Z-Saber don't affect aerial opponents, and Z-Saber is hardly an effective counter attack.

So how do you play as ProtoMan though? First of all, you have a myriad of ways to approach, from simply slashing and retreating with your two step swords, to Blade Dance, Sonic Rush, and Feint Slice. If you play ProtoMan unpredictably, which you should, your opponent will have a hell of a time knowing if you're attacking, feinting, and from what direction you're coming from.

Which brings us to your mindgames. ProtoMan is also vulnerable to retribution after ending his attacks, even completely defenseless if an opponent expects and counters a StepSword. What you need to do is be unpredictable. Use odd options for your Varial Sword, like the Double Sonic Boom when they expect FighterSword. Be creative, and keep your opponent on his toes.

When it comes to defense, you've primarily two moves. The awesome AntiSword, and your Proto Shield. Both of these moves are excellent used correctly, Proto Shield being a free block against most attacks, quite possibly saving your skin against laggier attacks, while AntiSword is just plain fun to pull off, denying every disjointed hitbox attack in the game. These two moves are both punishable if spammed though; characters will quickly learn to pepper you with smaller, weaker hits and projectiles if you overuse these two moves, and instead of defending yourself you'll only be a sitting duck. Slasher also offers you some defense, but being an aerial attack its much more offensively minded.

And speaking of the air, you're not too weak when fight there, but not too strong. Your only strong source of damage in the air is Cross Swords, and while its an excellent move, it isn't enough to hold your own against characters with better air game, and is best relegated to shorthopping to try to get them between the two slashes. The Back Air and Neutral Air are unreliable, and your Up and Down Airs are primarily defensive moves, protecting you from other attacks.

On other miscellanea, your throws are pretty weak, so avoid that. Sonic Boom is a fairly average projectile, but it can be useful if there's more spacing between your opponent than you'd like. And speaking of spacing, ProtoMan for all his swords and energy arcs doesn't require much spacing control. He still needs a good feel for the distance between himself and his opponent, but not to the degree that Marth does, for instance.

Overall ProtoMan plays a fairly slow, but intense game. He can't combo or rack damage exactly, and he doesn't have the best KO moves, but he's hard to predict, and played right, hard to hit.

/ / Match-Ups

ProtoMan.EXE vs Meta Knight 60:40 Meta Knight's Favor

ProtoMan's usual advantage of attack speed is neutered by Meta Knight, who can strike just as fast, and usually with less ending lag. Meta Knight can break through Proto Shield with Mach Tornado, and though AntiSword does counter it, the move is just too fast for ProtoMan to counter usually. Meta Knight can also outplay ProtoMan blow for blow in the air.

Its not all doom and gloom in this match-up though. While Meta Knight may have better air game than ProtoMan, he's still pretty difficult to gimp, and ProtoMan is the only one of the two with projectiles. Varial Sword is also pretty effective, its high priority and huge hitbox with Dream Sword breaking through most of Meta Knights attacks. If ProtoMan can avoid getting KO'd early too, Muramasa is always a strong option, and hits right between Meta Knight's eyes.

One of the big things about this fight though is just how ineffective ProtoMan's mind games will be; he just doesn't have the time to feint and weave against Meta Knight, forcing him to play a much more offensive game. ProtoMan Meta Knight match-ups are generally very quick and intense, with fast blows and blazing attacks.

ProtoMan.EXE vs King Dedede: 75:25 Dedede's Favor

Dedede is hell for ProtoMan though. Mindgames? Dedede doesn't care about your stinking mind games; feint your approaches all you want, StepSword or BackStepSword if you like, that ridiculous range on his F-tilt is going to hit you all the same. AntiSword will save you from a few of his moves, especially that F-Smash, but his best KO move is a jointed hitbox, his U-tilt, and that Bair will still hurt you pretty good.

ProtoMan can be chaingrabbed too, just like the rest of the cast. He's got a few advantages, Sonic Boom is quite effective against Dedede, who's only real defense against it at range is sacrificing Waddle Dees for it. A good Dedede will just wreck you in the air though, and is heavy enough that he's not going to be significantly affected by your low knockback StepSwords until he gets to rather high percentages, allowing him to strike back fairly easily. You're not doomed, but it'll be on heck of a fight.

ProtoMan.EXE vs Darkrai: 70:30 ProtoMan's Favor

Finally, match-up that ProtoMan likes, and its one he really likes. StepSword and BackStepSword are fast ways to get in damage, and completely shut down Darkrai's Hypnosis, to the point that its not worth bothering with. Unlike Dedede and Meta Knight, Darkrai doesn't have any attacks that can threaten from both sides against your StepSwords, making him a sittting duck for damage racking. Darkrai is just too laggy to get by with his tilts.

Darkrai's big threat to you though is his great Grab game though, and its probably the only way he can consistently build up his Nightmare Fuel against you, so watch out. If he shields a StepSword from you, you can bet you're gonna get grabbed. You've got better air game than him, but watch out once he's got Nightmare Fuel up; his Dark ProtoMan is hell for you to fight with its higher priority, and Hallucinations gives him good opportunities to follow up on you.

Fortunately, by the time he can get the big guns out, he's probably near KO levels. Varial Sword, Muramasa, Z-Saber if you can, and knock him out of here.

ProtoMan.EXE vs Bleak: 80:20 ProtoMan's Favor

Another great match-up for ProtoMan! Bleak's best way to rack up damage is with his snowballs, and its laggy enough for you to be able to Proto Shield them without too much difficulty, throwing energy waves at him instead. BackStepSword just wrecks his spacing game, cutting past Wind Chill and Cold Shelter like they're not even there and putting damage on him. ProtoMan's feints and odd approaches just destroy Bleak, although a good Up Smash by Bleak can pull ProtoMan right out of a StepSword.

Bleak just can't space ProtoMan like he needs to to get damage and KOs, and even when he can, the Proto Shield defends him from it. Its practically impossible to stop ProtoMan from approaching, or at leasting poking at enemies with his StepSwords. Not a happy day for Bleak.

/ / Extras

Up Taunt:

ProtoMan swings his sword upwards, then waving it like a hand, saying, "Come on!"

Side Taunt:

ProtoMan holds his sword forward, pointing at the enemy, his visor shining. "Come in quietly, and I won't have to delete ya."

Down Taunt:

ProtoMan flashes like he's about to use a StepSword, disappears and reappears instantly in the exact same place.

Snake's Codec:

Snake: Otacon, there's this swordsman in red armor here. Who is he?
Otacon: That's ProtoMan.EXE, a computer program built to apprehend criminals and battle viruses.
Snake: He's got a form I've never seen, appearing and disappearing in a single motion.
Otacon: He was developed by Chaud, a boy prodigy. He's only twelve, and he's already a CEO of a major corporation, and an Official police detective. He's just finished college!
Snake: Otacon, focus on the mission.
Otacon: How am I ever supposed to compete with that?
Snake: ...

Assist Trophy: Swordy Virus

The Swordy Virus is a straightforward enemy in the MegaMan games, alternating between LongSword and WideSword for its attacks. A summoned Swordy will rush to the nearest enemy, and continuously slash at the opponent, switching between a WideSword where it slashes from the ground up and a LongSword where it stabs forward. It fades away after about ten seconds.

[7%]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom