• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ike Video Critique Thread

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
Jab -> DSmash is only good for getting a very high % kill, I only mentioned it before because it would've killed them; it's not that good otherwise :laugh:. It's as reliable as jab -> UTilt; it's not a true combo, but it's not exactly easy to escape either. If you stick to just jabs and jab -> grabs until kill %s, you should be able to catch them off guard with either (as well as jab -> BAir).

I'll watch the video you just posted later; I'll edit this post when I watch it.

EDIT: Done.

Watkins (Ike) vs Memphischains (Sonic)

0:12 - Even though a lot of Sonics like to use spin dash as an attack, you shouldn't use Counter if you're playing your opponent for the first time; Counter should be thrown out when you are sure that your opponent will attack, which comes after understanding their playstyle.
0:19 - More spacing issues; Sonic moves VERY fast on the ground, so be wary when you think of using an aerial; just like he did here, he can simply zip right under you and shieldgrab.
0:37 - If you notice your opponent DI'ing out of your jab combo, you should just finish it rather than rush at them with an aerial; you're more likely to hit them that way.
0:43 - Ike's grab game isn't that good; even though he has BThrow -> dash attack, it only works at certain %s. At lower %s, you should focus on racking up damage, so completing the jab combo is a better option than going for a grab.
0:59 - After the first two jabs, you should've gone for the DTilt then; your opponent DIs very well, so it's very unlikely that he'll be close enough if you continue jabbing.
2:02 - Yay jab -> UTilt :).
2:37 - UAir doesn't set up for anything; it's only good for getting kills, so you should save it until they are at high %.
3:18 - If you see your opponent go that high, you should just release the charge right away so you reduce your chance of getting punished; only a stupid opponent will get hit when they're that high, and you really can't take that chance in a tournament match.

General comments: You played well in this match; you were pretty much dominating after your first kill (which explains the lack of comments after the first minute). However, you are still struggling to read your opponent and punish them; for example, your opponent had a tendency to airdodge when he came down onto the stage, but you never baited it and punished it. Your opponent also had the tendency to edgehop an attack to get onto the stage; a retreating USmash could've punished this. Learning how to read your opponent takes practice and a bit of guess work; it might seem hard to consciously think about your opponent while playing, but it is well-worth the effort when you land powerful attacks. Nevertheless, good job with the match and winning.
I can read people fairly well I think but I sometimes limit myself to just avoiding attacks (which in itself can become predictable and leave me vulnerable instead) instead of baiting and punishing readable moves with the right counters. For example, punishing ledge attacks with a retreating Usmash is a great idea. I usually just shield grab. Those are the kind of ideas I was looking for.

Makes me realize how sloppy my gameplay gets sometimes, thanks for the tips, I'll aim more outside the box now.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
We should make a Video Archive. I will get some vids of my ike and post em.

Not critique archive, but just videos.
Isn't there already one in Ashu's Library? There's videos of various Ike players vs. certain characters and videos of certain Ike players vs. other players.

Unless you mean something different?

:034:

Palpi

Smash Hero
I guess you are right. It is a little hidden though considering this is the first time I have seen it :)

We should just make a sticky for the video list. Only recent ones too :)

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
real nice job spacing fairs for the most part

though i did see a lot of opportunities where nair into jab would have worked well against this MK
he also seemed to roll dodge too much but judging by your last kill ,you also saw that :p

nice match

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfrAVJuFsxo

^^^ A video from the tourney I went to this weekend. I think this match pretty much represents the average level of play I was at... I had some better matches and some worse ones. I'll maybe put up another one later if any more are uploaded.

I think some others one were already uploaded, but I forgot to link them to you. Check out related videos, or maybe even more videos from Raziek's account. If all else fails, look up Nyke (Ike) and you should find some more.

At the very least, all your matches should be uploaded by the end of the week.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yah I just found one of me vs. Wiles on Pirate Ship. I won't link you guys to that one cause well... it was on Pirate Ship... and I was Ike >_>

It was a good match but I'd rather just upload ones that are on neutral or disadvantaged stages.

Those are the only two I've found so far, and in fact they may be the only two I saved :ohwell: I'll have to remember to save more at bi-weeklies.

Game Freak201

Smash Rookie
Here's a wifi friendly match with me versus King of Sack. I'm the Normal colored Ike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLrv1XhioUE

I wanted to add two more videos, but I don't have the time to do so tonight. So I'll have them out by tomorrow evening.

Edit: I decided against posting the other videos since they are very similar to the one I have posted.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Oh gosh it is too late to critique this one thoroghly considering... there is so much to critique. :chuckle:

Fast fall your nairs for the most part.

Practice spacing your fairs so that it hits with the tip so there is a smaller chance you will get punished. Use retreating fair to fend off an over-agressive opponent. Full-hopped fairs work great against opponent approaching with an aerial especially considering it auto-cancels.

Don't get used to using counter, i dont care if it worked. Same with eruption.

Stop trying to d-air...when they are on the ground, this isn't brawl plus and you got punished every single time.

If you are jabbing and they roll or DI behind, don't finish the combo, shield and do an OoS option, or roll away for safety (might get punished) or turn around and start a new jab. Finishing a jab combo without hitting them can and will get you punished.

You are jab cancelling, jab jab, jab jab. The 2nd jab only gives you 1 frame of advantage thus making it hard to string in other attack, let alone jabs. Use the first jab then cancel it, then do the full jab combo.

After a nair you can complete a jab combo at certain percents, and nair-bair works sometimes...

You don't need to be flashy with ike to be good.

When you have the lead, the lead the worst position your opponent can be is on the ledge, you don't have to try and spike him every time. Almost every ledge option, (stand, attack, ledgehop, jump) is easily punishable with either a charged up-smash if they jump and air dodge or a jab combo. Patience is key.

edit; these random fsmashes are not your average kill move. Ike has many viable kills moves, but using the right one at the right time without getting punished is key. Don't forget about u-air. It is out for a long time, and not many people know how or can airdodge the whole uair if you use it coming down on your opponent.

Kimchi loves his falling u-air.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I think some others one were already uploaded, but I forgot to link them to you. Check out related videos, or maybe even more videos from Raziek's account. If all else fails, look up Nyke (Ike) and you should find some more.

At the very least, all your matches should be uploaded by the end of the week.
I am not going to critique this thoroughly, but....

Stop dash attacking, it is fairly obviously to see coming, and if the metaknight wasn't terrible, you would've been punished greatly.

Against metaknight you need to do everything within ike's power to not get punished. Pretty much limits your aerial move set to auto-cancelled bairs, retrating fairs, retreating nairs, sh nairs (not moving forward), full fairs.

There was many situation where this MK could've punished but, obviously was fortunately not skilled enough to do so.

double post.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I can't record any videos, because I forgot to put my installation CD on my laptop.

Kirk

Smash Champion
lol @ censored word in URL.

For those who want to know, *** = [Capital F] , [lowercase a] , [Capital G]

Also, watched the first match(vs. Samus). In general, you ran into too much ****. You were predictable and you got punished hard for it. I'm sure someone can go into more detail...but bottom line is you know need more variation in your playstyle(I didn't see a single Bair) and and don't approach willy-nilly(WAY too many QD approaches).

Also, jab cancels. You're timing is a bit slow(can see too much of the crouch animation in between)...and if they like to jump out of them(as this guy did), just finish the combo. 7-12% is better than nothing. Or expect it and followup with something else.

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
lol @ censored word in URL.

For those who want to know, *** = [Capital F] , [lowercase a] , [Capital G]

Also, watched the first match(vs. Samus). In general, you ran into too much ****. You were predictable and you got punished hard for it. I'm sure someone can go into more detail...but bottom line is you know need more variation in your playstyle(I didn't see a single Bair) and and don't approach willy-nilly(WAY too many QD approaches).

Also, jab cancels. You're timing is a bit slow(can see too much of the crouch animation in between)...and if they like to jump out of them(as this guy did), just finish the combo. 7-12% is better than nothing. Or expect it and followup with something else.
Harsh but good, thank you. I really have no idea how to play a samus... aside from PSing projectiles as you approach... :p

Also, I jab canceled so slowly because samus was too floaty to be hit by a fast one, thus letting her fall into the next jab.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Harsh but good, thank you. I really have no idea how to play a samus... aside from PSing projectiles as you approach... :p

Also, I jab canceled so slowly because samus was too floaty to be hit by a fast one, thus letting her fall into the next jab.
If Samus is too floaty to be hit immediately by the next jab or kick...you can just hold A down and go into Combat walk. The Samus could very easily DI out of a slow jab cancel.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I'll elaborate on Kirk's critique and go in-depth.

0:09 - That was an ideal time for a jab -> grab, you shouldn't roll away from your opponent if you're unsure what they'll do, especially when it's a character who has a range advantage on Ike.
0:10 - When approaching characters who use ranged attacks well like Falco or Samus, aerials are pretty much completely out of the question, you'll get shot every time. SHAD (Short hopped air-dodges) and powershielding are your best bets for approach.
0:49 - Looks like you've already learned this lesson, but always keep your Aether as low as possible when playing a character like Samus. Too easy to be hit out of it above the stage.
0:55 - Dair wasn't the best option there, I would have waited it out and tried to see how he reacted to the jump from the edge. Sometimes doing an immediate double jump backwards -> Fair works well.
0:57 - Not sure why you started charging QD there but obviously that's a terrible idea against any character with projectiles, let alone Samus.
1:02 - He read your jump from the ledge there, make sure you mix up how you recover from the ledge with rolls and ledge drop -> double jumps.
1:23 - Bad idea to Fair there; in a match-up where the opponent has a move that outranges Fair (Samus, Link, etc...) you have to be very careful about when you use it. It's almost always better to use Nair in those match-ups because of the reduced landing-lag.
1:27 - My point is proven, he didn't anticipate Nair's short landing lag and ate your jabs.
1:30 - If you're going to use Aether like that, make sure you will hit them and if you miss, grab the edge, it's not worth the landing lag.
1:34 - Too many jumps to approach, he's reading them and punishing with Zair every time. Make sure you vary your approaches.
2:08 - Again with the QD, don't use it.
2:43 - Where's the Usmash? Gotta punish something like that.
2:55 - You could have made it back by just falling and Aether, way too much QD.
3:01 - Also, don't approach with QD, especially not in this match-up.
3:41 - Not much wrong at this point except the overuse of QD, you need to work it out of your game.
3:49 - Never grab when you can jab. Jab is always a better option in a situation like that because even if they shield it, you can then cancel it into a grab.
3:51 - Always be aware of your spacing, if you had spot-dodged his grab after your Nair you could have punished with an Fsmash... or at that percent, maybe jabs would have been better.
3:53 - You need to be more aware of that Zair, he's been hitting you with it at maximum range way too much. Don't fall right towards him, stay outside his Zair range and fake approaches to see how he uses it.
4:39 - Dair onto the stage is always a bad idea, no matter how useful it may seem at the time. Way too much landing lag, and all it does is pop them up in the air so they can punish you at low percents.
4:43 - Don't throw out Fair randomly like that, especially down by so much in a match-up like this; always keep your spacing.
4:45 - He knows you're getting a little desperate, and your approaches are getting sloppy; make sure you keep your head in these situations. Easier said than done I know, but all it takes it practice.
4:52 - Don't use your jump so early if there isn't any need, had you saved it, you may have been able to foil his attempted edge-hog of your Aether, but since he knew you'd used your jump, it was easy for him to time it.

So yah, in summary, you have to do a lot more reading your opponent and a lot less being read. Mix up your approaches, the way you get up off the ledge, your recoveries and your methods of returning to the stage from above so that you are as unpredictable as possible. You also have to be able to identify when you are being read and you have to be able to adjust your play immediately to not be punished for whatever you were doing anymore.

You generally know what moves to use with Ike and what moves not to use (with the exception of QD, you need to work that out of your game as much as possible), so the only big thing you need to work on is the aspect of mind-games. Reading and punishing is a very important part of being successful with Ike. Try and work Bair into your game more as an OoS punishment. Also, don't be afraid to use Usmash to punish your opponent for things like rolls, poor spacing and air-dodges. Fsmash can work too but Usmash is better in most cases.

Using Ike's smash attacks intelligently can really get your opponents afraid and unsure of their actions. That's when you read their hesitations and punish with your faster moves like jab and Bair. Hope that all helped and made sense
:laugh:

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
I'll elaborate on Kirk's critique and go in-depth.

0:09 - That was an ideal time for a jab -> grab, you shouldn't roll away from your opponent if you're unsure what they'll do, especially when it's a character who has a range advantage on Ike.
0:10 - When approaching characters who use ranged attacks well like Falco or Samus, aerials are pretty much completely out of the question, you'll get shot every time. SHAD (Short hopped air-dodges) and powershielding are your best bets for approach.
0:49 - Looks like you've already learned this lesson, but always keep your Aether as low as possible when playing a character like Samus. Too easy to be hit out of it above the stage.
0:55 - Dair wasn't the best option there, I would have waited it out and tried to see how he reacted to the jump from the edge. Sometimes doing an immediate double jump backwards -> Fair works well.
0:57 - Not sure why you started charging QD there but obviously that's a terrible idea against any character with projectiles, let alone Samus.
1:02 - He read your jump from the ledge there, make sure you mix up how you recover from the ledge with rolls and ledge drop -> double jumps.
1:23 - Bad idea to Fair there; in a match-up where the opponent has a move that outranges Fair (Samus, Link, etc...) you have to be very careful about when you use it. It's almost always better to use Nair in those match-ups because of the reduced landing-lag.
1:27 - My point is proven, he didn't anticipate Nair's short landing lag and ate your jabs.
1:30 - If you're going to use Aether like that, make sure you will hit them and if you miss, grab the edge, it's not worth the landing lag.
1:34 - Too many jumps to approach, he's reading them and punishing with Zair every time. Make sure you vary your approaches.
2:08 - Again with the QD, don't use it.
2:43 - Where's the Usmash? Gotta punish something like that.
2:55 - You could have made it back by just falling and Aether, way too much QD.
3:01 - Also, don't approach with QD, especially not in this match-up.
3:41 - Not much wrong at this point except the overuse of QD, you need to work it out of your game.
3:49 - Never grab when you can jab. Jab is always a better option in a situation like that because even if they shield it, you can then cancel it into a grab.
3:51 - Always be aware of your spacing, if you had spot-dodged his grab after your Nair you could have punished with an Fsmash... or at that percent, maybe jabs would have been better.
3:53 - You need to be more aware of that Zair, he's been hitting you with it at maximum range way too much. Don't fall right towards him, stay outside his Zair range and fake approaches to see how he uses it.
4:39 - Dair onto the stage is always a bad idea, no matter how useful it may seem at the time. Way too much landing lag, and all it does is pop them up in the air so they can punish you at low percents.
4:43 - Don't throw out Fair randomly like that, especially down by so much in a match-up like this; always keep your spacing.
4:45 - He knows you're getting a little desperate, and your approaches are getting sloppy; make sure you keep your head in these situations. Easier said than done I know, but all it takes it practice.
4:52 - Don't use your jump so early if there isn't any need, had you saved it, you may have been able to foil his attempted edge-hog of your Aether, but since he knew you'd used your jump, it was easy for him to time it.

So yah, in summary, you have to do a lot more reading your opponent and a lot less being read. Mix up your approaches, the way you get up off the ledge, your recoveries and your methods of returning to the stage from above so that you are as unpredictable as possible. You also have to be able to identify when you are being read and you have to be able to adjust your play immediately to not be punished for whatever you were doing anymore.

You generally know what moves to use with Ike and what moves not to use (with the exception of QD, you need to work that out of your game as much as possible), so the only big thing you need to work on is the aspect of mind-games. Reading and punishing is a very important part of being successful with Ike. Try and work Bair into your game more as an OoS punishment. Also, don't be afraid to use Usmash to punish your opponent for things like rolls, poor spacing and air-dodges. Fsmash can work too but Usmash is better in most cases.

Using Ike's smash attacks intelligently can really get your opponents afraid and unsure of their actions. That's when you read their hesitations and punish with your faster moves like jab and Bair. Hope that all helped and made sense
:laugh:

Thanks... but... reading? Not my forte! I think I'm going to set my C-stick back to smashs, the tilt stick just doesn't seem to like me. :[

And if the second match could be done to, (follow the links) that would be great!

Edit: 42 says Hi...http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll68/Wulf543/wes_dance.gif

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
Critique my ike please...
got some videos of me getting my A** handed to me so yeah... Need help HALP HELLLLPPP "lung cancer" "COUGH" COUGH" HELLPPP but yeah i'd like some inside boxing lesson info. "Critique Thy ike player". Thanks guys appreciate it! =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBxNmxuHATw <<<Ally vs REN (Ike vs snake) round 1
___

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQiEE...eature=related <<<Ally VS REN =( (ike vs snake) round 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSyiJ6BQ7S0 <<<< L cancel Vs REN (Ike vs Olimar) Round 2

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Critique my ike please...
got some videos of me getting my A** handed to me so yeah... Need help HALP HELLLLPPP "lung cancer" "COUGH" COUGH" HELLPPP but yeah i'd like some inside boxing lesson info. "Critique Thy ike player". Thanks guys appreciate it! =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBxNmxuHATw <<<Ally vs REN (Ike vs snake) round 1
___

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQiEE...eature=related <<<Ally VS REN =( (ike vs snake) round 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSyiJ6BQ7S0 <<<< L cancel Vs REN (Ike vs Olimar) Round 2
lol its kinda weird saying this since you're way better than i am ._.

but i just want to point out that you could have gotten him with uair a few times when he was falling into you all those times D:
shoulda just waited a bit longer

and i saw part 2 on brinstar;/
bummer
snake's bair...lol

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
yeah when snake dthrows me i just go nuts... it's like if this was a real fighter and i grabbed as you grabbed!! you wouldn't have grabbed me! "ARGHHHH NERD RAGE".

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm not the expert critique around here, but I just found it interesting how your "level of movement" decreased as the matches went on. Perfect example would be your start against MK, a lot of run and shield and activity going on. Later into the set, you're pretty much just playing at a more "normal" pace. I guess you can say, it takes more focus and video game stamina to continue to play at a higher pace.

Side note: I was initially surprised on why that MK wasn't playing so gay on Delfino...then he started to on your last stock lol.

EDIT: I'm gonna go on a limb here and say that because you make yourself play so active in your first match...whether it's against the MK or the Marth set I just watched, it lowers your focus through the remainder of the match. So while you're reading your opponent great, doing confusing mind games, etc, later on, you tend to become more stale which leads to you becoming more predictable. Either start drinking a lot of coffee before matches or try to find a balance.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Going on with what Bored said, try not to shield dash like that so much like you did against Affinity's MK. You're simply slowly whittling down your shield and it makes you more prone to your opponent's prediction counter.
On another note, I shall update the archive when I have a bit of time at my hands.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Commenting on REN's video's, I've got awesome experience with Snakes, there is no excuse for letting Snake get to the ground once he's aerial, all Snake has got is:

Bair - Can easily be outranged (Uair Usmash)
Dodge - Can be read and easily countered (Uair Usmash)
B-reversals - Tricky, but look which way he is facing, if the Snake is facing right, his B-reversal will go to the left, keep that in mind and try to hit him with the far end of Uair, chances are that if he B-reversals, you'll hit him anyway.
Another thing is mixing up your ''get up from the edge'' game. Try using SH QD to ledge or on stage, it can really punish laggy mistakes Snakes make. Not promoting to use it frequently, but it works for me, do with it what you wish.
Ally also hit you many times with the tip F-tilt, which is a killer range for you to be at, space a bit better so that you can always punish with fair/filt. That's about it.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So on another note, I want some honest critiquing on some of these matches I had with san's Jigglypuff as that might possibly be the match that'll determine if I'll get into Grand Finals of the Low Tier Tourney. I think I played alright with my limited knowledge on the matchup, but here's the matches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVjWT3zNQ0M&feature=player_profilepage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g55rJNdU8uQ&feature=channel
Quoted from kimchi in the general thread.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I haven't done a critique in awhile, should be fun.

0:09 - Maybe that was meant to be something else (lag can do weird things) but never use QD as an attack. It can be used as a tool (getting onto platforms for example) but not as a weapon.
0:11 - Careful when you're pressing the attack button near the edge of the stage. If the stage had taken off at that point, you would have SDd right there with that Nair.
0:27 - Don't throw out an Usmash unless you're sure. Try doing an empty short-hop before the Usmash to throw off your opponent.
0:47 - Try not to counter too much, I notice you've used already two by this point. If you use too many your opponent could start predicting them and punishing severely.
0:58 - You're kind of just throwing out random attacks here, which is fine if you're zoning properly by keeping a safe distance, but at the distance you were, you'd be better off trying to read and react.
1:16 - QD there was a bad idea, because this TL plays overly aggressive. He was bound to just move in and attack, so throwing up a shield or spot-dodging would have been a better idea. If you want to keep the pressure on and play aggressive with Ike, QD isn't the best option.
1:22 - Bad time for an Eruption; always remember what character you're fighting, even if you'd waited it out he probably would have just hit you with a bomb or something.
1:29 - It's no use attempting a Dtilt spike when a character's recovery sweetspots the ledge from beneath, Dtilt's hitbox isn't big enough. You had time for a walk-off Dair there, which probably would have got the KO.
1:58 - Nice reading the AD if that's what it was, if not it was a pretty bad decision by him to AD so early.
2:08 - Don't pull out an Fsmash again so soon after landing one, your opponent will be playing more cautiously and you will inevitably get punished.
2:12 - Again, smash sparingly and be sure when you do, don't start charging it when he's still off-screen, he has way too much time to read and react.
2:30 - You should have known he would air dodge there after your last KO on him, that could have potentially been another early KO or at least a nice set-up.
2:33 - Be careful when Aether camping the ledge, if you miss or eat a shield, steer backwards and grab the ledge again, cause if you land on the stage you'll get punished.
2:39 - Too much grabbing out of shield; OoS grabs work well if you know you're opponent likes to hold a shield on, but Ike's jabs and Bair out of shield are often better options. In fact, for a spot-dodger like this TL, an Usmash may have connected and messed with his mind a bit.
2:43 - Again, too eager with that Dtilt, and you're making it obvious that it's what you want. Be subtle about when you use that spike, and make sure you have a legitimate shot at it.
2:53 - Lawl. I guess maybe he thought the beam was farther away?

All around, your Ike isn't bad at all, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on some things since this is on WiFi. Just make sure not to throw out too many random moves, carefully space each attack you use; wasting moves with Ike is a bad idea, everything you do has to have a purpose.

I like the fact that you don't roll, that's a common problem with new Ike players, and there's always a better option than rolling. Otherwise, careful when you use Counter, Eruption and your smash attacks... oh and QD, work that out of your game as an attack, and use it more as a tool for mobility (but not as an approach). Hope that helped, keep it up, you're definitely on the right track :)

NeoZoa

Smash Rookie
I haven't done a critique in awhile, should be fun.

0:09 - Maybe that was meant to be something else (lag can do weird things) but never use QD as an attack. It can be used as a tool (getting onto platforms for example) but not as a weapon.
0:11 - Careful when you're pressing the attack button near the edge of the stage. If the stage had taken off at that point, you would have SDd right there with that Nair.
0:27 - Don't throw out an Usmash unless you're sure. Try doing an empty short-hop before the Usmash to throw off your opponent.
0:47 - Try not to counter too much, I notice you've used already two by this point. If you use too many your opponent could start predicting them and punishing severely.
0:58 - You're kind of just throwing out random attacks here, which is fine if you're zoning properly by keeping a safe distance, but at the distance you were, you'd be better off trying to read and react.
1:16 - QD there was a bad idea, because this TL plays overly aggressive. He was bound to just move in and attack, so throwing up a shield or spot-dodging would have been a better idea. If you want to keep the pressure on and play aggressive with Ike, QD isn't the best option.
1:22 - Bad time for an Eruption; always remember what character you're fighting, even if you'd waited it out he probably would have just hit you with a bomb or something.
1:29 - It's no use attempting a Dtilt spike when a character's recovery sweetspots the ledge from beneath, Dtilt's hitbox isn't big enough. You had time for a walk-off Dair there, which probably would have got the KO.
1:58 - Nice reading the AD if that's what it was, if not it was a pretty bad decision by him to AD so early.
2:08 - Don't pull out an Fsmash again so soon after landing one, your opponent will be playing more cautiously and you will inevitably get punished.
2:12 - Again, smash sparingly and be sure when you do, don't start charging it when he's still off-screen, he has way too much time to read and react.
2:30 - You should have known he would air dodge there after your last KO on him, that could have potentially been another early KO or at least a nice set-up.
2:33 - Be careful when Aether camping the ledge, if you miss or eat a shield, steer backwards and grab the ledge again, cause if you land on the stage you'll get punished.
2:39 - Too much grabbing out of shield; OoS grabs work well if you know you're opponent likes to hold a shield on, but Ike's jabs and Bair out of shield are often better options. In fact, for a spot-dodger like this TL, an Usmash may have connected and messed with his mind a bit.
2:43 - Again, too eager with that Dtilt, and you're making it obvious that it's what you want. Be subtle about when you use that spike, and make sure you have a legitimate shot at it.
2:53 - Lawl. I guess maybe he thought the beam was farther away?

All around, your Ike isn't bad at all, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on some things since this is on WiFi. Just make sure not to throw out too many random moves, carefully space each attack you use; wasting moves with Ike is a bad idea, everything you do has to have a purpose.

I like the fact that you don't roll, that's a common problem with new Ike players, and there's always a better option than rolling. Otherwise, careful when you use Counter, Eruption and your smash attacks... oh and QD, work that out of your game as an attack, and use it more as a tool for mobility (but not as an approach). Hope that helped, keep it up, you're definitely on the right track :)

Thank you very much for the critic. I'll take your advice and and polish up my gameplay. Oh heh... I don't know how to walk of edge to spike without killing myself. Also, I can't predict for crap.

1:58 What you saw there was a random F-Smash I did, sorry. xp

But I did get messed up because of the lag.

0:43 That was suppose to be a Counter but it came out as a eruption that got interupted during the animation.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Thank you very much for the critic. I'll take your advice and and polish up my gameplay. Oh heh... I don't know how to walk of edge to spike without killing myself. Also, I can't predict for crap.

1:58 What you saw there was a random F-Smash I did, sorry. xp
Lol, don't worry about reading and predicting, it comes with experience. For now just focus on the moveset adjustments and stuff. And as for walking off and spiking without killing yourself, you can try going to the controls and switching your c-stick function from Smash to Attack. That way you won't fast-fall when you Dair using the c-stick so you can still survive. However it also means you can't use the c-stick for smash attacks (which isn't so bad for Ike cause his smash attacks aren't the biggest part of his game).

Try it out and see if it suits your style; I've always used the 'Attack Stick' myself (otherwise known as the Tilt Stick). Another thing you may be pleased to know is that with your c-stick set to Attack, you can perform a Dtilt spike without having to crouch first by simply hitting c-stick down. It actually has it's advantages because most players know by now that when Ike crouches by the ledge, he's looking for that Dtilt.

NeoZoa

Smash Rookie
Lol, don't worry about reading and predicting, it comes with experience. For now just focus on the moveset adjustments and stuff. And as for walking off and spiking without killing yourself, you can try going to the controls and switching your c-stick function from Smash to Attack. That way you won't fast-fall when you Dair using the c-stick so you can still survive. However it also means you can't use the c-stick for smash attacks (which isn't so bad for Ike cause his smash attacks aren't the biggest part of his game).

Try it out and see if it suits your style; I've always used the 'Attack Stick' myself (otherwise known as the Tilt Stick). Another thing you may be pleased to know is that with your c-stick set to Attack, you can perform a Dtilt spike without having to crouch first by simply hitting c-stick down. It actually has it's advantages because most players know by now that when Ike crouches by the ledge, he's looking for that Dtilt.

Holy s**t on crackers, that's awesome! =D Thank you again, and I like the setting this way. Keeps me from performing my bad habit with using smashes at the wrong time.

Top Bottom