• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grev presents ~ Stab's 949 area Melee tourney III, Video thread and results up!

DJMirror

Smash Master
Oh man, it's Stab's tourney today.
Can't wait to see results!

Stab is such a cool host.
(If only if I was in so-cal, then i would want to team with nasty nate =D)
Not really a cool host after what just happen!

nah he's pretty cool

result

1)Zhu
2)lucky
3)macD

practice_mAn

Smash Journeyman
i love irrelevant posts

they're what makes smashboards so fun

although I think i only enjoyed it cuz it was plan 9's

If only if I was in so-cal, then i would want to team with nasty nate =D
no but i'd want to team with u if you were here!!

remember all the grab to reverse knees in teams??

HugS™

Smash Lord
So I drove for roughly 2.75 hours just to get there. 4.75 hours total.

Paid about 7.00$ in freeway tolls because there are TWO "portola parkway" exits.

Then I find out I've been DQ'd about an hour before I actually arrived. So I could have been saved about 2 hours of driving, plus toll fees, if the host told me I was DQ'd from winners, where I would have looped back around and gone home instead.

I know I was late. I expected for there to not be any food left, I expected to not have any warm up. But I did not expect to start in losers without notification, to play for 45 minutes total, and to play Kira @ 9th place in losers.

IMO this tournament was a straight waste.

So now i kind of have to go to CGC next week to get my fix.

Clearly I'm mad about this, as I've been thinking about this tournament all week. So maybe it was cool for everyone else. I just know Romeo and myself thought it was s***

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Results

Before I go on with the results, please note that HugS and Romeo were DQed from their first round matches because they were very very late.

1: Zhu ($78.00)
2: Lucky ($39.00)
3: MacD ($13.00)
4: C0nn0r
5: Lovage
5: Fly_Amanita
7: Maple
7: Kira
9: Romeo
9: Sherigami
9: Atlus
9: HugS
13: GSUB
13: Dopple
13: Boss
13: Rookie
17: DCMoney
17: Stabbedbyanipple
17: Smoke2Joints
17: dunskies
17: Wasabi
17: JDM
17: Psychomidget
17: SDR
25: Nasty nate
25: Deth
25: signia
25: Rey
25: Squid
25: Spazz

1: Psychomidget and Zhu (Pyschomidget + Zhu) ($60.00)
2: MacD + Connor (MacD + Connnnnor) ($30.00)
3: Lucky Atlus (Lucky and atlus) ($10.00)
4: Fly and Julian (Fly and Julian)
5: Johnny and lovage (johnny and lovage)
5: China Welcomes YOU! (Stabbebyanipple + Dopple)
7: Boss + Maple (boss + maple)
7: Deth and Squid (Deth and Squid)
9: Rey & Rookie
9: Schmooguy and DC$ (Kira and DC$)

I'm sorry HugS and Romeo. =(

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
About the DQs:

You originally called me a good while before singles started. I assumed you were driving from somewhere within 30 minutes of Hawthorne so the drive would be an hour an a half to 2 hours.

Boss, who is a much more experienced TO than I am, tells me during grand finals for doubles that we shouldn't hold up the singles bracket for just two people. I say ok and call you guys. This is the point I get most confused because you said you were probably near Irvine.

Since you said, you probably couldn't be more than half an hour away. So after about 10 minutes, we start singles. We finish every singles first round match and even some of the second round matches but you guys are still no where to be found. This is the point where it's decided to DQ you guys from the first round. There had been a little talk about it before but we thought you would eventually arrive here before it started effecting the bracket.

This part was my bad because I should have called and told you about it but I figured you were too close by now to turn around and go all the way back before playing any matches.

I'm not sure what happened to you guys but you arrived a fair amount of time after getting DQed anyway.

I'm sorry you guys didn't enjoy your time and I'm sorry you got screwed up in brackets because of this but it was just a big misunderstanding.

GSUB

Smash Lord
HugS and Romeo getting DQ'ed sucks...

But in reality, they should have left earlier.
The front page said Singles starts at 3:00pm.
I even think it was started later than that too...

And Grand Finals ended right at leaving time basically, if we had held up the tournament any longer for them, we would have had to leave before Grand Finals could even be finished...

SHOUT-OUTS!!!

Signia: Fun first round in Bracket!!! You had me scared that first round, but I brought it back ;] Learn the matchup and you got this!!!

Kira: Our match was fun! Thanks for going Sheik second round though, that's the matchup I wanted with you, I got pretty close!!! :]

Stab: We got this man!!! Live stream and EVERYTHING!!! Hahaha, we should try and host the next one at Saddleback if we can! Or anywhere really! Sorry I couldn't team with you... Work johns :/ And hecka intense matches in Loser's... UpAir -> UpSmash -> Jab Reset -> Rest -> Captain Falcon, "UuuuuuuuAHHHHHH!!!" Winning Taunt From Me!!! Lol. My hyper-shielding is gettin better too!!!

Romeo: Our matches were REALLY fun. For me at least, they were both on Yoshi's, haha. I want to play you more! I felt like I could win, but it was just a feeling, which don't count for ****! hahah, GG's.

MacD: You did soooo good! Hahah, good seeing you! it's been forever it feels like... Like always, I'm here to cheer you on and give advice when you don't want it ;]

Boss: I remember the first time I played your MewTwo, I couldn't handle it very well, but this time around, it was REALLY fun! I hope to play and see you more, you're pretty cool, haha. And thanks for the support and advice against Romeo, it worked really well until I stopped doing it... hah.

Julian: Sorry to put you through all those Fox vs. Puff matches... but I felt I was VERY SLOWLY learning the matchup. So thanks fo that, I appreciate it. But Playing your Falcon and Ganondorf was fun! (For me at least...) And I would've liked to play more of your Marth... Oh well...

Marque: How was your chicken burrito???

Sherigami: You're a fun kid, haha. I love seeing you at tournaments :] too fun to talk to.

Emil: Thanks for the ride!!! I really appreciate it! Talking to you was also very fun. You're funny in a discreet way, I like it. Would like to play you some though, and talk more.

PsychoMidget: ... o.0 ?????????? Just basically in general.

JDM: I think I said something and you laughed, forgot what it was, oh well. Nice seeing you :]

Squid: Playing you is sooooooooooo fun and just hilarioussssssss!!! Hahahah, I can't wait to see you more!!! =D

I think it turned out well, but we DEFINITELY need a bigger venue next time.

DJMirror

Smash Master
HugS and Romeo getting DQ'ed sucks...

But in reality, they should have left earlier.
The front page said Singles starts at 3:00pm.
I even think it was started later than that too...

in reality, even if they left early...they would still have to deal with LA traffic, not only that

he got to pick up romeo as well? c'mon that a extra 10-30 minutes depending on traffic

for example, just yesterday i drove 2.5 hours to pick up s2j at ucla and going back to irvine was 2 hours with traffic....that just picking up S2J..image if i have to go pick up connor it's a extra 30 minutes

i just filled up my tank yesterday all the way up and by the end of the day it was near empty!

you kids wouldn't know cuz you dont drive and haven't experience it yet

but once you do, you'll know it's a pain in the *** to drive

Freaking stab put the wrong direction!

if you dont believe me on this one, ask DC$ he was mad when it was wrong and he got lost up in the hills

so I'm not impressed that you made the Godfather mad...no one like to see the godfather getting pissed off O___o

stabbed by a nipple

mediocre tournment host

-joe
**** that harsh lol

GSUB

Smash Lord
Yeah, that really sucks **** and all, but all of this should have been taken into consideration beforehand.
If you know there's LA traffic, then plan accordingly.
If you're picking another person up, then plan accordingly.

You can't go to your job late and blame traffic... It's YOUR responsibility to get there on time.

And of course I love that Hugo went out of his way to pick Romeo up, and come all the way out here to give back to the community.

And with DC$ following the wrong directions, idk what's up with that, that's Stab's deal, it'd probably be best if Stab didn't post directions, people should just MapQuest/GoogleMaps the address... Sorry about that DCMoney.

And MORE important than all of that Jason, you didn't address this:
And Grand Finals ended right at leaving time basically, if we had held up the tournament any longer for them, we would have had to leave before Grand Finals could even be finished...
You can't hold up the whole tournament for a two people... I'm pretty you wouldn't hold up the tournament for say, Signia and Ghad... (I'm aware that hugs and romeo =/= signia and ghad. But it's the same principle.)

DJMirror

Smash Master
Yeah, that really sucks **** and all, but all of this should have been taken into consideration beforehand.

You can't go to your job late and blame traffic... It's YOUR responsibility to get there on time.

And of course I love that Hugo went out of his way to pick Romeo up, and come all the way out here to give back to the community.

And with DC$ following the wrong directions, idk what's up with that, that's Stab's deal, it'd probably be best if Stab didn't post directions, people should just MapQuest/GoogleMaps the address... Sorry about that DCMoney.
I'm pretty sure Hugo did plan it out, but this is LA traffic! **** happens and remember even if you plan everything out, there is still like 50% chance, it wouldn't go your way!

I also believe it's the host and co host to make sure the direction is correct

like active gamers coast to coast

I got super early like 930ish and pick up kira and connor around 1030, then picked up s2j around 1130ish (i think there was like no traffic) then around 12 go to active gamers and on the way, there is a huge *** traffic cuz some huge *** truck got flipped over (i donno how) so we were stuck at least i believe like 40 minutes? and made it to the tournament around 130ish? (i might be wrong) are you going to tell me it's my responsibility that i'm late cuz of that truck? hella no!

edit- me and kira did at so cal arcadian for bardull and his friends the time we were suppose to start was like 11 but we started at 1(?) instead

embracethe12

Smash Lord
weird results

i was just about to name some wins that seemed strange to me
until i realized almost every one of them were awkward

are these the indications of inconsistency or closing of the skill gap

inb4 you're stupid

GSUB

Smash Lord
I also believe it's the host and co host to make sure the direction is correct
Lol at last attempt to bring up any sort of valid point... Kay, lemme go change Stab's thread cause I can TOTALLY do that... no... now we know for next time.. there is a reason for the difference between host and co-host.

I'm not telling you it's your fault if theirs an accident lol??? When did I ever say that??? And you're STILL missing my main point Jason!!! You keep avoiding it!!!

WE CAN'T PUT THE WHOLE TOURNAMENT ON HOLD FOR A COUPLE OF PEOPLE!
Stop avoiding it and just making pointless and ridiculous posts. Sometimes **** happens, it's no ones fault, but regardless, late is LATE and it happens, no ones fault.
You can call me a kid all you want, but hey I know this about life: **** happens.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Can someone explain what happened the first match between Zhu and Lucky in Grand Finals? Norcal was watching on the livestream.

joeplicate

Smash Master
****in stupids

it's not a matter of "la traffic"
it's a matter of stab called hugo, said he was OK, then made a bunch of assumptions about when he would show up, then DQ'd him when he was already on his way

really, saying that it's hugo's fault for "being late" and "not planning ahead" or whatever is just dumb, when the fault lies with the TO for not being able to follow through on his decisions, then changing them at the last second without telling anyone

if it sounds harsh, tough ****, when you run a tournament you assume responsibility, and if **** goes sour, you're taking the bad rap

Kira-

Smash Champion
The tournament seemed fun for most people, personally I was over it after like an hour, but not because of the poor quality (seemed like there were always open TVs to play on, there was FREE FOOD, and a **** *** pool... dunskies swam all the way across in one breath lol i love these tourneys). I'm gonna continue to not play during the week and hopefully get some motivation back at CGC

You can't hold up the whole tournament for a two people... I'm pretty you wouldn't hold up the tournament for say, Signia and Ghad... (I'm aware that hugs and romeo =/= signia and ghad. But it's the same principle.)
Honestly, I hate to say this but I agree. They showed up really late, they should expect to get DQ'd. Nobody was going to wait around 30 more minutes until they showed up to finish the bracket. Finishing the tournament on time is probably the most important part.

I DQ'd a lot of people at the Arcadian tournament, but only one of them actually showed up later, and that was A Rookie. He went to get food and took too long to come back to the point where the bracket really couldn't continue, so I DQ'd him from winners. He was almost DQ'd from losers too but he came back just before his opponent started his next match so we put him in. I think A Rookie is really chill too, from the few times I've seen him, but it had to be done.

I'm pretty sure Hugo did plan it out, but this is LA traffic! **** happens and remember even if you plan everything out, there is still like 50% chance, it wouldn't go your way!
i hope you're not serious, I'm sure they're used to dealing with LA traffic.

edit- me and kira did at so cal arcadian for bardull and his friends the time we were suppose to start was like 11 but we started at 1(?) instead
We started at 12:30pm NOT for Bardull specifically, but because there were a LOT of entrants who ended up arriving between Noon (the original starting time) and 12:30. They had to pay the late fee anyway. You can look at the thread; there was absolutely no way we wanted to start at 11am.

are these the indications of inconsistency or closing of the skill gap
closing the skill gap imo

Adam M!

Smash Lord
the skill gap was already closed. this **** ALWAYS goes in cycles. like i've been saying forever, kira you were never way better than anyone in socal. lovage, for a split second, might've been, but he probably wasn't, as we now all see. that's why reactionary rankings are dumb -- the next two months are always going to prove you wrong, so you're always 2 months behind reality.

i hope you stayed all peach connor! good ****.

Hi MacD! You are amazing

Rey Ganon

Smash Rookie
The tourney was pretty good. Only my second tourney so can't compare to much, but stabbed was really cool and it didn't seem to bad. Me and A Rookie found our way pretty easy, cool people, and free food. Now for shout outs.

Kira: I heard a lot about you from A Rookie, he said you were really cool, I kinda met you at Arcadia tourney and you seemed cool, but after fighting you and DC$ and then watching your match Sheik v Samus fight, I know he was right in how awesome you are.

DC$: Had a lot of fun fighting you and Kira, great challenge for me and my partner, hope I can face you in Pat's if you go.

Wasabi: I don't respect many Falcos, but I respect yours. Very close match that third round. Was a little disappointed I lost, but at least I gave it a good shot and it was a really good match. Hope to see you at Pat's and at least get in some friendlies.

GHAD: Really cool dude. Just watching you play was fun.

Julian: Liked talking to you and hope I could help you on Ganon match ups. Just remember to space with the sword.

S2J: You seemed really cool when you were fighting A Rookie in friendlies at the end.

Squid: Nice work in friendlies. If you ever want to come down for some matches, you are always welcome.

Spazz: Just... well you know haha.

Anyway, sorry if I'm missing anyone, there were lots of great people and I had fun meeting a lot of you.

Kira-

Smash Champion
this was the hardest tournament ever, pretty much everyone ranked (and everyone almost ranked) showed up. get *****

stab - i liked the tournament. if you need co-hosts ask me next time. i'd be glad to help run the bracket, cause it seemed like we were one person short for that lol

kendric - hey dont get discouraged. there is something called deliberate practice; it's much more important than practice for the sake of playing. i know it's difficult, but try to get in practice against people way better than you whenever possible.

Also here's what I did to get better: Pinpoint all the things I have trouble with, (if you don't know, try looking at when you get hit) then find a solution, then practice doing it on noobs, then gradually up the opponent's skill level. For example, I had trouble edgeguarding Fox when he started his Up B really close to the stage (FD, riding up the wall). I'd usually whiff a downsmash hoping they would overshoot their sweetspot, but good players dont mess up. this let them return to the stage to **** me again. So I wrote down all the possible counters. 1 - grab the ledge and roll. This works if you KNOW they will try to sweetspot, but I then realized if you do it too early they will just go above you. Which led me to my 2nd possibility - use ledge invincibility to nair. I started doing this, but sometimes they would get hit back onto the stage. So my final adjustment was to drop SUPER low and very early so that there was no way they could get hit onto the stage. Luckily Sheik has that option, but this is the thought pattern I use. hope it helps in some way. you have to be very conscious of recognizing WHen things are happening. By when I don't mean what time- I mean recognizing patterns. What are you doing (or what did you just do) right before you're getting hit? Keep this in mind and you'll see a lot more about the game.

squid/signia - same thing lol. signia you attack from too far away, try to close the spacing a bit so they cant react in time. squid you have to be very careful with falco cause he dies a lot; try really hard not to get hit ever. follow isai's famous advice: don't get hit. it's great advice. signia get more tech skill. squid watch zhu and find out how to combo. break down his every move and make sure you play someone right after analyzing

adam - thanks for keeping me humble. you always knew the truth about reality

fabian - where were you?

fly - good stuff. sorry we didnt talk at all, i took that loss kinda hard especially because of that comeback you made first match. I think i had a dream that told me how to beat you. really odd. maybe it'll work lol

zhu - good job on 1st and beating lucky! sorry i didnt watch when you asked me to, i would've had to ditch the teams friendlies we had going on. you and joey play all the time and it was recorded so i decided to stay

wasabi - grab! grab > flashy shield pressure. shield pressure has a lot of holes in it anyway. if you grab then they get scared and your shield pressure will start working lol

rey - nice ganon

kyle - cool guy like always, my bad on ditching the raging party with 300 people, i was pretty sick

cam - thanks for letting us come over, i know we're a pain in the ***.

sherigami - **** you're good (and we **** in teams). combo with dairs!

nasty nate - lets win teams

macd - good ****, way to beat everyone ranked now we all look bad and you look amazing

rookie - didnt know you had a falcon lol, those knees were brutal. where do you live? let's smash sometime

lucky - ah i wanted to play you but i ****ed up. gj on 2nd and getting soo close lol

connor - **** that peach is amazing. she's scary when someone this pro is using her

derrick - wow good **** beating johnny, sorry we did so bad in teams LOL i think i coulda done a lot better

atlus - you beat connor! and you entered singles! ****

gsub - i went fox because i dont like the matchup with sheik anymore. i think i'm alright at it but it's kinda tricky, fox makes it so simple lol

marq - sup, we'll play more next time
oscar - **** too good still
johnny - look away in mario party was the funniest **** all day, ****in priceless
deth - you ****ed us up in teams lol
hugo - you figured me out quick yet again. i haven't figured out what to do yet except play gayer

Kira-

Smash Champion
hey stab, upload the team combo macd and I did on poor Zhu.

it was 5-6 nairs from across FD it was funny as hell.

-Connor

MacD

Banned via Administration
hey stab, upload the team combo macd and I did on poor Zhu.

it was 5-6 nairs from across FD it was funny as hell.

-Connor
hahahah best combo ever!!!!!!!!!

stab- you ask me for friendlies and i don't wanna play, i ask you for friendlies and you don't wanna/can't play, and word of advice, if you host a tourny, don't expect to get a lot of time for friendlies because it is your job first and foremost to make sure the bracket is running and vids are being recorded, but if you can delegate to other people then you can have the freedom of playing friendlies. all i know is that you didn't call teams matches well assuming we were already playing, and once teams was done boss told me who to play, then i just figured it out myself for the most part or whoever was sitting at the computer

connor- we are teaming again, we ****, R3 hopefully, sorry i suck and gimp you and get killed by random stitches but you pointing out their habbits helps me also i'm glad we got to play in bracket, but no peach dittos :( actually i'm glad i got to play your fox, i'm scared for next time though

sherigami- glad we got to do those team mm at the end, we could have/should have won again, sorry i got all mad at you, i know it wasn't your fault, it was like 95% that he beat you to the ledge, and 5% you didn't realize it, but then again, idk if i would have noticed it, it's weird your growing up now, no more little cute 15 year old that i'm used to teaming with but still <3, omg i almost forgot we played in bracket, that was a fun match, i know i said this last time, but i like FD vs sheik ;)

zhu- that upsmash at the end i feel ********, i thought of the best way to get up, next time though

lucky- glad i got to play you, i've really been wanting that, too bad i'm ******** and messed up on FoD, could have taken it to 5th game

fly- i've also wanted to play you, thank god for choknater practice cause there is no way i would beat if i never played other IC's, ledge grabs are sooooo freaking scary, i can't belive i got away on corneria at the end, oh and i know you weren't mad at me, don't worry i know that feeling

a rookie- it was cool to meet and play you, i've heard stories, your mario is good, hope to see you at more tournies

gsub- nice to see you, glad to play you, sorry i wasn't in super fun mode but i was tired

deadshot- hope i didn't scare you away from smash, you're very technical, now you just gotta work on using your brain instead of being flashy

lovage- mm me!!!!

s2j- nice to see you, had fun in the mm, you're getting better but i guess i'm slowly learning proper DI against falcon... except i think i forgot in teams

maple- good stuff beating romeo, i was there, you heard me ;) and thanks for being there with my pizza

SDR- i barely saw you, never got to play, next time stick around a little if you can

JDM- i haven't played you in forever, we'll have to fix that

boss- i'm glad/sad i didn't have to play you in tourny again, we should get some friendlies in next time so that i stop being ******** and actually make our matches a challenge for you

hugs/romeo- good to see you travel, sad to see you guys get screwed, it's too bad nicole couldn't have worked some of her magic for you guys

dopple- you beat dunskies, good stuff, sorry to push you last night but oscar was in my way, we should get sushi again this week

atlus- you entered singles and beat connor... WTF!!!! play more

kira- i was sooo scared of having to play you but i actually kinda wanted to, it probably would have made me think which is something i need to do

squid/? (sorry i'm bad with names)- UCI people more of us, yay!!! once you get settled hope to see you guys around and playing with irvine

ahhh gotta go, sorry if i missed you, ... Hi durrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

HugS™

Smash Lord

WE CAN'T PUT THE WHOLE TOURNAMENT ON HOLD FOR A COUPLE OF PEOPLE!
Stop avoiding it and just making pointless and ridiculous posts. Sometimes **** happens, it's no ones fault, but regardless, late is LATE and it happens, no ones fault.
You can call me a kid all you want, but hey I know this about life: **** happens.
Although I agree with you for the most part, you guys still should have told me I was getting DQ'd from winners, at the very least.

Late is late, but there's no reason not to inform us of such a decision, especially if it could change the outcome of the tournament so drastically (SDR and Nasty Nate playing us so early in losers wasn't fun, I'm sure). At that point I can decide to save the money and the extra hour of driving, or deal with the circumstances I had brought upon myself.

Preferably, I should have been informed of this DQ when the decision to DQ was even being considered, or hell, when singles was actually starting.

According to the phone calls I received, I had no indication that singles had started yet. I knew we were late, but I was under the impression that you all were still waiting, whether it was because of us or because doubles was still happening.

As for our plans to arrive on time, you can see that I posted at 1:45. You are correct though, that is just about enough time for me to make it by 3:10 pm. I know LA traffic, so I had planned to drive during non-rush hour traffic. I was right on that. However, there WAS a major accident on the 5 freeway. And there ARE two exits, 6 miles apart, with the same exact name. That's the freeway practically begging us to get lost. I couldn't plan on either of those 2.

tl;dr
I was completely late, but I should have been informed I was in danger of being DQ'd before the decision to DQ was made. Especially when the decision happened about an hour before I arrived, according to sources.

Oh and GG to Kira. I really think my plan to forfeit DK64 @ AG backfired, because I completely forgot it was a counterpick of yours since I have never played you on it.
I won't make that same mistake again. I like how you stated your counterpick quick as f*** as soon as I said "I ban FD" so that i'd have no time to change my mind. LOL
Good job, you got me.

GSUB

Smash Lord
Thanks for agreeing Hugo, and not exploding or something...

And I too agree with your point of needing to be informed more by either Stab or I.
but sadly, I hadn't even been informed of the decision myself by Stab or anyone.
If I had known about it, I would've helped Stab take care of it in the best manner possible (i.e. letting you know what's REALLY going on), because he gets pretty flustered and distracted with many tournament related things when hosting.
(which is understandable)

I'm really, really sorry, and I hope this won't keep you from participating in any future GREV tournaments :[

HugS™

Smash Lord
Why did grand finals end lucky 3 and zhu 3. Can someone please explain what happened in GF?
Yeah, could someone explain what happened? I heard there was a reset of a match when it was well underway, or something.

Top Bottom