• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Ok, since i cant find a dl for Sound Booth cuse Adobe is gay, Can someone make the Song, Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria the seperate L and R channels for usage as songs, or can you make it the Giga Bowser Battle?

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
I have edited 3 more stages: Dreamland, Final Destination (not alternate), and Battlefield.

----------------
Dreamland
----------------
Dreamland now plays "Diddy Kong Racing - Haunted Woods"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4KywJ1P2E

This edit is PERFECT! There is no delay, no stuttering, and you dont even know it looped, like its part of the song and still going :p

Download the "old_kb.hps" file Here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TMS1PYVA

---------------
Battlefield
---------------

This is another excellent edit. Battlefield now plays Dr. Robotnick's Theme from Sonic 2.

What it sounds like: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/82897

Download "sp_zako.hps" to make it part of Battlefield: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D5ZVRX69

------------------------
Final Destination
------------------------

This was changed into "Diddy Kong Racing - Darkmoon Caverns."

There is a very slight delay, but it sounds nice.

This is what it sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5SccAA4OeU

Download "sp_end.hps" here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S6JFNQ8Z

Enjoy!

^_^

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
you click the little down arrow on the left and choose "split stereo track"

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
I'm really impressed with Tichinde's works. Absolutely great.
I might not be able to update today due to an all-nighter smashfest I'm attending. So, tomorrow. Just heads up. But I'm planning on updating with at least one tute vid, and all the links for Tichinde's HPS works, which look marvelous.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Holy crap.

I'm way to lazy to do this stuff but I REALLY wish i had it.

Make more vids, convince me to do this over xmas break haha.

Stevo

Smash Champion
im havign problems burning melee games.

Im burning at 1x speed on dvd -r and trying to load it with gamecube backup loader, but all that happens is it tries to load for a bit and then restarts the wii.

any ideas?

SleepyK

i tried 8x and it runs fine
2.4x works fine as well

Steelia

Smash Champion
im havign problems burning melee games.

Im burning at 1x speed on dvd -r and trying to load it with gamecube backup loader, but all that happens is it tries to load for a bit and then restarts the wii.

any ideas?
I burn at 1x speed as well.
Perhaps you overlooked an IOS to apply to your Wii? Or something specific towards the GCN Backup Loader?

SleepyK

i'll video some of the music and audio hacks if you guys really want.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
I only have myself so these arent serious games.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz1uuudKJmI

Custom Melee Menu Remix

Final Destination - Diddy Kong Racing - Darkmoon Caverns

Final Destination (Alternate) - Megaman 2 - Dr. Wily's Theme

Battlefield - Sonic 2 - Dr. Robotnik's Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLyZUYzit4Y

Battlefield - Alternate - Moonlit Wilderness

Dreamland - Diddy Kong Racing - Haunted Woods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5zFcj4os60

Pokemon Stadium - Lance/Red Battle Theme Remix

Pokemon Stadium * Alternate * - -HG/SS Kanto Battle Theme

Fountain of Dreams - Devastation's Doorway OCRemix

And Finally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CAQwCdJgKc

Rainbow Cruise - I'm on a Boat

Enjoy!

^_^

P.S.

Falcon enjoys saying "YES!"

P.P.S.

I Burn everything at 16X Speed :p

P.P.P.S.

The songs are much longer than in the vids, its just that I wanted to squeeze them all into 3 vids :p

P.P.P.P.S.

Thats not all of the songs that were edited. I didnt add a couple because I didnt like it :p

SleepyK

oh my bad, i got caught up in me and dan's samus sound ideas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny-WwxsE4j4
basically samus --> rockman x. probably mostly audio sounds from x4.

i'll assume tichinde's vids are good enough but you guys would prefer matches?
i'm headed over to pb&j's apartment where i'll get some footage with lambchops later today, so i'll upload that.

erm, if i gave you the .dsp's would that be enough to go by? i'll do the .ssm for you if you want.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
I want those Samus sound effects too please. You should share everything here.

Are the .dsp's the same for both the US and JPN audio?

I just wish to use the US language.

SleepyK

the dsps aren't the same number, but that is the only difference, so you'd have to match up the numbers again.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
May I please ask you to convert all of the audio customizations that you have done with Fox, Falco, and Samus into the US based .ssm files. I would be very happy.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Bumping due to minor update :p

Copying SleepyK's idea, I decided to actually try to modify Fox's lasers to be that of the X-Wings from Star Wars myself. I have succeeded.

Download Link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZSO03S2N

Its for the US Audio of Fox.

I couldnt find the exact sound file for the Blastech that SleepyK used for Falco so I am currently editing a different one.

EDIT:

The sound file I used doesnt work! :( Doesnt even sound like the sound blaster, its all garbled.

Falco feels left out that he doesnt have a cool sounding laser like Fox does!

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Tichinde:
The garbled sound is due to a mistake in the decoder coefficients for the DSP you edited. The SSM file for the audio has all the decoder coefficients for all the DSPs at the beginning, and then it has the DSP data. You probably made a mistake with changing the new DSP decoder coefficients (like changing the wrong ones), or you didn't change them at all. Check the guide in the first post for SSM hacks "The Mini-Guide on SSM hacks", step 5, the last bullet point.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
What do I with "Stereo" L and R type .dps? Do I change each decoder or is one decoder all thats needed for the two? I cant remember what I did when I edited Fox's lasers.

SleepyK

lol sorry, i'll do it soon! it's just been midterms weeks and stuff.
prior to that it was flat out laziness, but now i have a john.
i got the lasers from the best resource for sw hacking - games.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Now, here's something a little interesting.

http://www.zapotlanejo.info/Nintendopapercraftforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=483&p=67868

While I'm just starting to make heads-tails of it, sounds like the newest Dolphin-emu can rip the models of characters from SSBM directly... Hopefully this method can be used to make for easy texture viewing instead of trial-and-error through burning discs or running back and forth between Dolphin.

Might want to just browse around the topic; seems to have a bit of interesting stuff.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Tichinde:
Stereo ones do need two DSPs, one for L and one for R. At the beginning of the file, you need to replace two coefficient blocks for one stereo sound (one per channel). Just as a reference, mono sounds use one block of coefficient data, stereo use two.
Also, when copy/pasting the DSP data to the SSM file in the correct location, you paste in the L channel first, then you paste in the R channel after it. The location of the start of the R channel after the L channel takes a bit of looking to find out. Usually it's right after a string of 00s.

I hope I've made a bit of sense here..I should update the guide to deal with stereo files.

Steelia:
Model viewers would be super helpful. Not only for textures, but for model hacks. I'll check this out a bit more. I know that psychodan on emutalk.net made a model viewer, but a)he's no longer active, and b)he didn't want to release it. I might want to try and contact SarahHarp or thakis about this, if they're around still.

edit:here's something of interest - -http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=37091&page=3

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
I done everything right, I know I did. The audio file is even smaller than the previous one, is the same format, has a lower db rate, and rest of data is filled in properly with "00's".

I followed the tutorial 100%.

The resulting sound file isnt played but the previous one is. I am trying to edit "Fox." After editing it properly, the end result is not what I wanted it. It comes out to a scratchy "Falco." Falco is the .dsp that comes immediatly before "Fox"

The file in question that I am trying to "edit" is "nr_name.ssm"

nr_name = All of the announcer's sayings, such as the Character Names, etc....

I dont understand why it isnt working.

P.S.

I also properly edited another file, but when I listened to it, it was half-previous / half-what I edited in.

Why does it do this?

SleepyK

tichinde, make sure to check the frequencies for each individual file. they change around a lot.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Are you saying it has to match the frequencies / the wave-length of the audio file?

So if a sound file is 2 seconds long, but only 1 second is used of it (shown in the wave-length), I can only input a sound file that only uses 1 second?

I am sorry, I am not really understanding by what you mean. Im still new to audio editing.

P.S.

If by frequency, you mean something along the lines of " 16000 Hz " / " 32000 Hz", then yes. I have made 100% sure those are at the same frequency.

Steelia

Smash Champion
If by frequency, you mean something along the lines of " 16000 Hz " / " 32000 Hz", then yes. I have made 100% sure those are at the same frequency.
Oh, all right, that's good. I was about to point out the frequencies, too.

Eum... If you DID happen to do the 1-second-2-seconds thing, where the file you have is only 1 second but you're replacing one that is longer (say, 2 seconds), did you fill the extra data that is NOT part of your custom sound file with "00 00" in the hex? Make sure you do that; that tells the file to make it blank audio. I don't think you need to do that with music, but I could be wrong.

How I normally do that is, I copy-paste my audio file into the ORIGINAL .DSP file that I am going to replace, so to check the lengths and make sure mine is shorter. Then, if there is a HUGE difference between the two (mine is a lot shorter than the original), I add "00 00" in the hex until I reach the end of the DSP, so that my custom DSP is exact size of the original DSP I'm replacing.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Yes I did add the "00's" as you read in my post above.

I am still lost. I have managed to properly set the maximum dB values but still no luck.

P.S.

Can someone please take a look at this:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FGGLYTSC

It includes the original fox04.wav and the .wav file that I wish to edit it with. This is the US version of Fox.

My audio file is very similar to the original one. I want to know what exactly I am doing wrong.

If it works for whoever decides to help me out, then I am going to blame it on my hex editor.

That is just one file out of the many different files that I cannot get to work properly. HPS editing is so much easier.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Alrighty, I took a look at what you're trying to do, Tichinde. I didn't do it, but I just checked it out. Here's what I'd do.

-----
note - "0x" means hexadecimal...numbers using 0 to F.
We have fox04.wav, from the SuperSSMext batch file, extracting from fox.ssm us version. It's a mono file, "mishun..complete!". So here we go.

1. Rerun ssmex.exe on the fox.ssm file. Don't worry about the DSPs it creates, you can delete those. What you want is the info on DSP locations. Evidently, fox04 starts at 0x9400 and goes to 0xf560, at 32000Hz, mono, etc. That's all I need to know.

2. Make your DSP from the WAV you want to insert.

3. Replace the decoder coefficients from the DSP. This is the part where you can easily mess up. In the DSP take the data from 0x1c to 0x3c and paste it in the SSM at 0x148 (assuming we're still doing fox04).
Now, how did I get 0x148 as the location? Well, each DSP in the SSM file has blocks of data at the start of the SSM. Part of each block is the decoder coefficient. The length of these "data blocks" (just the general info for each DSP, not the actual decoders. Decoders are always two lines long, 0x20 bytes) for mono files is 0x48 bytes, and the length for stereo is about 0x88 bytes. What I usually do is add up all the lengths of the numbers before my DSP. So for example we want 04. Since we start counting from 00, we add up (mono00 + mono01 + mono02 + mono03 + mono04) = (0x48 + 0x48 + 0x48 + 0x48 + 0x48) = 0x168. That puts us somewhere around the decoder data. Here it's a bit fuzzy, not really clear cut. I just look for likely two-line chunks that could be the decoder data. Whatever's closest to that offset that looks likely becomes my location. So I check around 0x168, looking at the data before it. I find some funky looking bytes, and I assume that's the decoder coefficient data. So the decoder data starts at 0x148 and ends at 0x168, by my observations.

4. Replace the DSP data. From the ssmex rerun (step 1 above), I know the offsets, so I just copy/paste the DSP data at that offset. I figure you know the 00 filling trick, so that applies, too.
-----

I hope this helps. I have yet to try it out, but these are my two cents.
Earlier you mentioned a "fox/falco" name issue, which sounds like you either misplaced the DSP data or the coefficient data, unless I misunderstood.

(looking at the actual Fox audio files....what's fox0e supposed to be? sounds a bit odd.)

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Earlier you mentioned a "fox/falco" name issue, which sounds like you either misplaced the DSP data or the coefficient data, unless I misunderstood.

(looking at the actual Fox audio files....what's fox0e supposed to be? sounds a bit odd.)
fox0e = sound file that is played while fox's shield is broken.

So I presumed you did look at my audio editing. Am I correct in which I did properly configure / edit the audio .wav file? I just wanted to make sure that it wasnt my audio editing that was the problem.

Also, with the Fox/Falco thing, I did copy everything correctly, I was sure of it. I copied the coefficient data from 0x1C - Ox3C and pasted it into the correct spot. I then copied and pasted everything from 0x60 onward into the correct spot.

I have yet to start actually re-editing the "mishun complete" file but I am going to do that now while following your instructions.

============================

EDIT:

Okay, I followed your instructions word for word. After listening to the resulting fox04.wav file, it first plays fox03 then plays part of what I edited in fox04. This is the same issue as the Fox/Falco one. This is what has been happening to me constantly.

Here is everything that I have done and it includes what the fox04 sound file sounds like:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4CXLZL55

I was only able to change fox00 properly. I changed that to "Unstoppable." I dont know why fox00 or the Star Wars laser sounds were able to be changed properly while everything else repeats the previous one.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
I took a look at what you hexed...and I have to say you actually edited it perfectly.
Check out the ssmex output when you extract 04 again. It gives a confidence value of 25%. So it doesn't give perfect offsets or DSP extraction. I haven't done this, but go ahead and GC-tool the SSM and test with Dolphin. It should work out fine.
So to recap, the issue is with ssmex after you hack the SSM, not with the actual hexing itself.

The editing of the WAV is fine. If you actually do change the sample rate, you can change the "sample rate" value in the beginning of the SSM file in the data blocks for each DSP. it's usually 20 (decimal) bytes before each coefficient decoder part. Usually 32000 is 7d 00, 16000 is 3e 80 etc. If you didn't understand that part, forget it. I'll change the first post guide on SSM/DSP to help out with this. Meanwhile, just keep the sample rates the same. I've only had to change this once, when I couldn't save as 12000 Hz, so I did 11050 or something like that, and changed the value in the SSM.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Thank you so much for everything! That ssmex program isnt very useful when I wish to double check everything. It seems burning DVDs is the only solution for checking for me as I do not have a beast PC to run Dolphin :(

The results are all in this youtube vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIm4wuzLeEE

Fox has been transferred into an Unreal Tournament 2004 Character.

Announcer no longer calls him Fox but instead by his real name :)

Also, instead of a crowd cheering for Fox, the UT2004 announcer proclaims "UNSTOPPABLE!'

If you want me to release anything, just ask me to and I will :p

Top Bottom