• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wreck-It Bowser

DaButcher

Smash Cadet
We know, we wub him

Just got back from my half hour perma-ban from SWF guys, did you miss me?
How did you manage that? Anyway, every bowser counts on these boards. :laugh:

I was wondering what TWBB stood for until Onishiba spelled it out. It's rather good. I'm only on episode 4 though, no spoilers!

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
How did you manage that? Anyway, every bowser counts on these boards. :laugh:

I was wondering what TWBB stood for until Onishiba spelled it out. It's rather good. I'm only on episode 4 though, no spoilers!
I accidentally double posted in my city's thread while sorting out flights/accommodation for a national we're going to and Mic_128 lives here and thought it'd be funny to perma-ban me for "excessive spam" :p

Flayl

Smash Hero
Guys I finally did something I should have done a long time ago.

I switched Z to shield.

I'm still getting used to it, but the effects are showing. More responsive airdodges and much less wear on my index finger against projectile characters.

edit: That means my custom controls are now:
Tap Jump Off
L set to Jump
X set to Grab
Z set to Shield

By the way I've learned you can standing -> DTilt a frame faster (no crouching before the tilt) if you press slightly down on the control stick.

B!squick

Smash Master
Guys I finally did something I should have done a long time ago.

I switched Z to shield.

I'm still getting used to it, but the effects are showing. More responsive airdodges and much less wear on my index finger against projectile characters.

edit: That means my custom controls are now:
Tap Jump Off
L set to Jump
X set to Grab
Z set to Shield
Lol, I'm too old to learn a new control style. I'm too use to the default one. It's the same reason why I never learned the much better Bumper Jumper on Halo 3.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Whilst you're on the topic what would you recommend the best control scheme is, I know people say it's personal preference but is there any Bowser-specific customisation I could benefit from?

One thing I know is that if you have to press one button immediately after the other, it's good to set them to Y and A, so you can just roll your thumb from the first to the latter. The perfect example is Toon Link's shorthop double arrow, with Y as jump and A as special it makes an AT that is meant to take a while to get used to incredibly easy.

Would Bowser benefit from anything like this?

I tried the Y-A combo (so you can just roll your thumb quickly) to see if it would perfectly time jab cancels or powershield to immediate specials/standard attacks but unfortunately it doesn't work.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
A good idea is to set L to jump to help with Klawhopping, it can also help for upb OoS if you don't have tap jump on, though I do use tap jump, I'm used to it now and it makes it easier for me to uair Jiggs out of a grab release.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Guys, we should cut down on the stickies. Any suggestions? The guides should probably be merged (if not updated). Grab release and frame data should be copy-pasted to seperate posts in a guide thread.

Maybe merge the index and Q&A?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
A good idea is to set L to jump to help with Klawhopping, it can also help for upb OoS if you don't have tap jump on, though I do use tap jump, I'm used to it now and it makes it easier for me to uair Jiggs out of a grab release.
I suck at Grab release stuff.
Any help? :p

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I suck at Grab release stuff.
Any help? :p
I can't really "help" over the internet, but I WOULD tell you to learn as much as you can about the dimension of grabbing, Bowser's pummels and etc.

For starters, try to obtain a muscle memory or a reflex of some sort so when a character releases you can go and regrab ASAP.

Learn who/what Bowser can do with Grab Releases. You'll be fine :]

Also that "setting L to jump" setting royally screwed me over once. I was screwing around in friendlies at Gauntlet once and I used Vex's tag for lulz.

I didn't know his settings and I assumed he used the same settings I did (normal w/no changes) and boyyyy was I wrong. No tap jump at all either...I looked like a ****ing moron, lmao.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
New control settings don't take as long to et used to as people think. I've had a different one nearly every week (I couldn't decide who to main), just muck around with it then just verse CPU to get used to it. It'd take a few hours at most, if that.

But yeah what controls would make klaw hopping the easiest? I'm assuming that's the most important thing to centre your controls around if you want to customsie them.

Edit: I just realised you guys probably don't know what muck around means, it just means mess around.

B!squick

Smash Master
Dudes, I just got done playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii! :D Boss battles were easy as they tend to be in Mario games. Final fight with Bowser had everything except for an ax to jump on. Climatic music at the end, though much like the levels, it felt too short me. :/ 8 worlds with 10ish stages a pop and alternate routes to the castles left me feeling unfulfilled...

Though you can play with up to 3 friends which makes up for alot. Even just one can be for loads of fun. Though sadly, even if you try to work together, you'll probably end up killing each other... alot. My suggestion, just do you best to screw your friends from the beginning as that's what it'll probably degrade into anyway.

Wall jumping killed me more than it helped me. x_x And you can't throw items up for some annoying reason. :/

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Lord Bowser I just assumed they wouldn't know what mucking around meant considering my Canadian relative didn't lol. Not sure if I'm going to SQUAT, and it's probably not right to call me a Bowser main yet considering I've been a PT main until now but I've just switched to Bowser(mind the semi-pun, if that actually was one), so I've had only about 3 wifi matches with him.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Melee SBR, but congrats all the same. Melee jiggs is actually fun.

edit: also post your Bowser tournament results >:[

Sliq

Smash Master
I've been in the Brawl BR for about a year now, I just never changed my status, and I got into the Melee BR Today.

I'm even more incredible than you guys realize.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I had no idea Bowser even had a Brawl rep in the SBR what the ****.

Do you stand in for Ganon and Wolf too?

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Whatever you do don't try and get bowser higher in the tier list! i enjoy his placing now, not so low he's terrible but low enough to be low tier tourney legal.

Well done Sliq, you've made us proud son.

B!squick

Smash Master
Alright everyone, here's the situation. I join a random for fun online tourny. It started "officially" Oct 13. I wait... and wait... but my opponent is a no show. Then I find out he was having internet troubles. So I leave for a couple weeks after getting tired of waiting.

GET THIS. I check back today. It was decided on Nov 2, randomly, that the no shows had a week to show and have their matches or until someone else finishes theres. THEN someone posts that my opponent was OFFICIALLY DROPPING OUT. And I'm not sure, but I have even read this post way back when and then took my leave, I can't be sure. Anyway. Someone points that it was already announce way back on Oct 29 that he couldn't play anyway and I KNOW I was around then.

Nov 6, the dude shows. The same day, they decide on Nov 9 to call the remaining matches that haven't been played on either a coin flip or recent activity. I'm currently in the losers bracket.

Awesome right?

EDIT: Actually, on Nov 2 they said everyone had a week to finish up. Still, major BS.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
By the way Jaydeath, I just read your quote, and I don't think most of the 40 year olds are married.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
You'd be surprised. @_@ Also, hurray for misspelling miss spelled names. xD
I impress the local skanks with my TechSkill and YuGiOh Collection.

It's only funny because I'm not even kidding.

BTW Check the sig lads, I made it this morning when waiting for some mail. I'm trying to get a name change, I don't want to resort to a dupe account.

Top Bottom