• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TDB: SEASON 2! LEON (RE4) vs LARA CROFT

Sieguest

Smash Master
You're sort of missing the point, it has no other displayed properties beyond those two attributes, breaking the spell and being single-use.

If we even had a material, something to suggest that this in fact could function as an actual hammer if robbed of it's magical powers then I'd say, "go for it, there's other things to talk about here" (ex. the fact that Pit's never used a melee weapon in combat, giving a DRASTIC difference in CQC ability between the two), but that's not the case.

As it stands, it has no attributes beyond the stated ones, give me proof it has other attributes, and we'll work from there.
There's also no physical evidence of the hammer breaking either...
and it's not just single use, it's used on multiple statues if I've gathered information correctly...meaning it's used more than once.
the situations under which it is used are isolated.

He's been shown with it,
it hasn't been shown to break after use.
and there is more than one statue upon which it has been used correct?
so how is that single use? and if it hasn't been shown to break then it must still physically be intact.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
There's also no physical evidence of the hammer breaking either...
and it's not just single use, it's used on multiple statues if I've gathered information correctly...meaning it's used more than once.
the situations under which it is used are isolated.

He's been shown with it,
it hasn't been shown to break after use.
and there is more than one statue upon which it has been used correct?
so how is that single use? and if it hasn't been shown to break then it must still physically be intact.
Because you get more, they're a generic item that you get many many of throughout the game.

Yes they are single use, but you'll get enough to use them on plenty of statues.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Because you get more, they're a generic item that you get many many of throughout the game.

Yes they are single use, but you'll get enough to use them on plenty of statues.
Oh I see...
that makes sense.
I take it you played the game?
(watching youtube videos didn't really help me to my conclusion :O)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Oh I see...
that makes sense.
I take it you played the game?
(watching youtube videos didn't really help me to my conclusion :O)
A long time ago...

But check the info pages on it, you could probably find it out by searching Kid Icarus and hammers or something like that.

Or gamefaqs.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Onto my next facet...
the shield...
http://www.ehow.com/about_5068303_tempered-glass.html

I doubt the shield would give him weight problems, and it can absorb quite a blow.
Pit could use it offensively and defensively. (Shield ramming, use it as a counter measure such as roy attacking and Pit blocking and then rushing with the shield)

He could attempt to topple Roy and take advantage of that position.

JOE!

Smash Hero
take advantage...how?

he has no CQC training nor weapons..Roy does.

anywho, ness loses due to no protection?

Sieguest

Smash Master
take advantage...how?

he has no CQC training nor weapons..Roy does.

If Roy is toppled by Pit with that shield, then Roy is prone on the ground, that advantageous for Pit.

And Pit still has the shield which he can use offensively and defensively.
He can block Roy's shots easily AND he can topple Roy by ramming him and then bludgeon him with the shield, or he can possibly try to disarm manipulating blocking a shot and running towards Roy at a bad angle for Roy.

REL38

Smash Lord
If Roy is toppled by Pit with that shield, then Roy is prone on the ground, that advantageous for Pit.

And Pit still has the shield which he can use offensively and defensively.
He can block Roy's shots easily AND he can topple Roy by ramming him and then bludgeon him with the shield, or he can possibly try to disarm manipulating blocking a shot and running towards Roy at a bad angle for Roy.

Roy has something called "side-stepping" aka "dodging".

In order for Pit to effectively knock Roy down, he would need to come in close and thrust himself forward to give enough knockback. But still, Roy is a swordsmen with some relative amount of combat training. By being pushed back, Roy would need to quickly roll out of the way upon falling on the ground. Not very difficult to perform said action. It's only common sense that someone approaching with a large shield would consider the shield itself as a form of attack.

The fact that Pit needs to thrust is enough opportunity for Roy to side-step and counter.
He can go for Pit's legs, side and even arm.

Pit trying to ram Roy would be ineffective.
Roy sees Pit running towards him with the shield up.
Roy waits and dodges the ram attack.
Counters and leaves Pit dead or wounded.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Pretty much, the protection means that Roy will survive his limited number of shots the majority of the time, whereas Ness, he'll generally get killed before being close enough to do anything.

Onto my next facet...
the shield...
http://www.ehow.com/about_5068303_tempered-glass.html

I doubt the shield would give him weight problems, and it can absorb quite a blow.
Pit could use it offensively and defensively. (Shield ramming, use it as a counter measure such as roy attacking and Pit blocking and then rushing with the shield)

He could attempt to topple Roy and take advantage of that position.
Two major problems here.

1. It's an improvised weapon, it's usable, but we're talking Peach v. Zelda again, one of our most one-sided match-ups. Sure it can be used like that, but Zelda/Roy has something that's actually made to kill, as well as the training to use it effectively for that purpose. Pit's shield is made for protection and he's never been shown to use shield-ramming, his only training seems to be archery.

2. It eliminates usage of the bow, he needs both hands free in order to use the bow and he can't really just put it down for a second because he lacks a quiver so he'd have no way to travel with both. Honestly, archery is his specialty in-game, so it's a much better strategy for him.

Also, could his shield survive a direct hit from Roy's sword (assuming it's tempered glass), the sword of seals may not have magical powers, but it's still definitely a greatsword.

Roy has something called "side-stepping" aka "dodging".

In order for Pit to effectively knock Roy down, he would need to come in close and thrust himself forward to give enough knockback. But still, Roy is a swordsmen with some relative amount of combat training. By being pushed back, Roy would need to quickly roll out of the way upon falling on the ground. Not very difficult to perform said action. It's only common sense that someone approaching with a large shield would consider the shield itself as a form of attack.

The fact that Pit needs to thrust is enough opportunity for Roy to side-step and counter.
He can go for Pit's legs, side and even arm.

Pit trying to ram Roy would be ineffective.
Roy sees Pit running towards him with the shield up.
Roy waits and dodges the ram attack.
Counters and leaves Pit dead or wounded.
Rel, just using it as a normal bludgeoning attack is usable, presumably on countering. Regular shield-bashing is far more effective and harder to see then just running at somebody with your shield in front.

It's not as effective as a regular weapon, but it can kill.

However, again this goes back to Zelda v Peach, improvised weapons with people with little close combat training vs. an expert with a weapon made for killing people, who wins generally?

Pit's best bet is with his bow and arrow because that's where he's trained to kill.

Sieguest

Smash Master
Two major problems here.

1. It's an improvised weapon, it's usable, but we're talking Peach v. Zelda again, one of our most one-sided match-ups. Sure it can be used like that, but Zelda/Roy has something that's actually made to kill, as well as the training to use it effectively for that purpose. Pit's shield is made for protection and he's never been shown to use shield-ramming, his only training seems to be archery.

2. It eliminates usage of the bow, he needs both hands free in order to use the bow and he can't really just put it down for a second because he lacks a quiver so he'd have no way to travel with both. Honestly, archery is his specialty in-game, so it's a much better strategy for him.

Also, could his shield survive a direct hit from Roy's sword (assuming it's tempered glass), the sword of seals may not have magical powers, but it's still definitely a greatsword.
True, but unlike the Peach vs Zelda this improvised weapon provides defensive abilities as well, so it's not a sheer weapon outclassing. It's outclassed just on the offensive end. On the defensive end Pit can block Roy's blows and bash back in retaliation (albeit awkwardly though).
Tempered glass, unlike it's untempered friend (glass) is very powerful, it could take the force of Roy swinging his greatsword quite well.

Is there any type of sword that can break tempered glass? Or very strong shields?

Also, I found something interesting, just in case it is needed:

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe6/item.htm

Roy could have a shield too, considering it is an item he can use or equip in the case of the delphi shield.
Well tempered glass CAN be broken,
but it's going to take a considerable amount of force,
unlike glass, tempered glass has had all the imperfections that make glass brittle, removed, so it's much tougher.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Is there any type of sword that can break tempered glass? Or very strong shields?
I checked it out a bit, only 4-5 times as strong. Also, shatters differently. Shower door glass is an example.

So, not just greatswords, a vareity of weapons wielded properly should be able to shatter it, probably down to a number of shortswords.

Also, I found something interesting, just in case it is needed:

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe6/item.htm

Roy could have a shield too, considering it is an item he can use or equip in the case of the delphi shield.
Unless it's a buckler, it doesn't really matter, he's using a greatsword remember? He needs two hands.

edit:

True, but unlike the Peach vs Zelda this improvised weapon provides defensive abilities as well, so it's not a sheer weapon outclassing. It's outclassed just on the offensive end. On the defensive end Pit can block Roy's blows and bash back in retaliation (albeit awkwardly though).
Tempered glass, unlike it's untempered friend (glass) is very powerful, it could take the force of Roy swinging his greatsword quite well.
The problem is it just doesn't have enough influence, primarily because of the offensive limitations of the weapon. If it's so difficult to deal damage (and smart spacing will make it so, considering that's where Roy's main training was) that it would just be prolonging the inevitable.

A shield is too ackward a weapon.

Also, I checked it out, tempered glass is 4-5 times as strong as normal glass, it won't be able to take the force of a solid sword strike reliably, it would shatter.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
Well tempered glass CAN be broken,
but it's going to take a considerable amount of force,
unlike glass, tempered glass has had all the imperfections that make glass brittle, removed, so it's much tougher.

I asked for specyfics. Still, even if tempered glass is stronger than normal glass, is it still strong enough to resist a great sword to the face?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Broken_phone_box.jpg

Telephone booths have tempered glasses and they can still be broken easily. This stuff is not going to resist a great sword to the face.

Unless it's a buckler, it doesn't really matter, he's using a greatsword remember? He needs two hands.
Roy has a ****load of other options.

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe6/sword.htm

Same applies to other Fire emblem characters.

But in this MU the best option is probably the greatsword, so nevermind then. Just keep this in mind in other MUs.

And keep in mind that Ike has access to lovely weapons like swords dripping with poison, throwing axes, WW Ganon-like swords, shields, Bowser-killing hammers and axes.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Since when is the SoS a greatsword...?
Erm, just look at the size, and since Roy isn't as large as Ganondorf, it's quite obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei0V5QVuSfI&feature=player_embedded

Roy has a ****load of other options.

http://www.serenesforest.net/fe6/sword.htm

Same applies to other Fire emblem characters.

But in this MU the best option is probably the greatsword, so nevermind then. Just keep this in mind in other MUs.

And keep in mind that Ike has access to lovely weapons like swords dripping with poison, throwing axes, WW Ganon-like swords, shields, Bowser-killing hammers and axes.
His Rapier is a lovely option as well, might actually be somewhat better here simply because it's too quick to really defend against with a shield.

Regardless, Roy has his choice of weapons.

JOE!

Smash Hero

score x3:

:ivysaur: , :dk2: , :samus2:

score x2:
:ike: , :falcon: , :diddy: , :mario2: , :ganondorf: , :link2: , :bowser2: , :zerosuitsamus: , :fox: ^

score x1:
:ness2: -

score x0:
:roymelee: , :warioc: , :pikachu2: , :mewtwo: , :marth: , :luigi2: , :lucario: , :zelda:/:shiek: , :falco: , :pit: v

score x-1:
:snake: , :wolf:

score x-2:
:popo: , :lucas: , :metaknight: , :charizard: , :yoshi2: , :olimar: , :peach:

score x-3:

score x-4:
:dedede: , :sonic:

gonna just call it here, as we said back then: Roy has better options than Pit, and Pit has little means of offense vs Roy.

so Roy stays the same

beats Ness

Loses vs Fox

new re-do soon.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
So Pit goes down one spot because of his loss against Fox.

Ness vs Pit stays the same, the same for Roy vs Pit.

JOE!

Smash Hero
yeah, thanks for sniping that, i was a bit fixed on hwo Roy stayed the same, and that we said ness loses

REL38

Smash Lord
Pikmin posses the characteristics of “follow the leader” (ducks), loyalty (canines) and strength (ants).
This alone shows that the Pikmin will follow Olimar. He plucked them, so they follow him.

Don't believe me?

Bulbmin follow the exact same concept.

Bulbmin are an infected host by a sub-species of parasitic Pikmin that enter said host (usually Bulborbs) and display their abilities through the host alongside the host's own said abilities.

In this case, Bulbmin offspring follow the "leader" with no opposition.
Normal Bulborbs (the host before being infected) have their offspring follow them as well, but have the ability to live on their own without the parents guidance.

Bulbmin follow their "leader" or parent no matter what cirucumstance. Just like Pikmin do with Olimar.

In regards to how he actually controls them relates to his whistle.
Olimar calls stray Pikmin via his whistle which has a colorful display of colors (kinda kinda just for show)
When Olimar “rallies” his Pikmin, a small tune is played. This implies that Olimar is using his whistle to make them move.

From this, I’m saying that Olimar actively calls and “orders” the Pikmin via audio frequencies from his whistle.
The Pikmin already follow Olimar, so he’s not using the whistle then. But when he needs to call them back or “swarm” the enemy, he’s using his whistle. What this would require is constant “cause and effect” experiments to find out exactly what levels of frequency the Pikmin would respond to and to what degree.
Pikmin not only reacted to the frequency of Olimar’s whistle, but as well as from natual wildlife, more so the Antenna Beetle.

This creature uses sound frequencies as a defense against Pikmin. It confuses attacking Pikmin and proceeds to flee. The sound frequency the Antennae Beetle emits also interferes with Olimar’s Treasure Gauge which acts as a sort of “metal detector”.

Olimar’s Pikmin already follow him as he’s plucked them out of the ground. He uses them to swarm enemies via his whistle. Olimar is capable of controlling his Pikmin.
It’s not the same as yelling orders to grunts, but it gets the job done.

Now if you excuse me, Ima go get some sleep.
I'll get back to this tomorrow.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Random question: JOE! did you decide to combine both Pits together? And you can take off the Yoshi v. Luigi MU; I still don't buy it but hey dinos lose to plumbers I guess.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
There is one fatal flaw in your argument.

Look at Olimar's whistling animation in Brawl and in Pikmin if you have it. Notice how his hands clips (goes thru) his helmet in order to actually whistle.

And no, he can't take his helmet off because oxygen is highly poisonous for his species. Which makes killing him much easier. Just smash his helmet and it's all over.

tocador

Smash Lord
There is one fatal flaw in your argument.

Look at Olimar's whistling animation in Brawl and in Pikmin if you have it. Notice how his hands clips (goes thru) his helmet in order to actually whistle.

And no, he can't take his helmet off because oxygen is highly poisonous for his species. Which makes killing him much easier. Just smash his helmet and it's all over.
He dosent.

In fact, if you really look out for it, you wont see a whistle being held by oli hands. He just does a head motion while his antenas go boing.

So then, i say his suit produces the noise =/.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
@Payas

Look at Olimar's suit in Brawl.
He has three knobs and what looks like a small speaker.

Those would be used to produce the sound.

They look nothing alike. Even small speakers are something like this:

And you can barely hear the sounds these produce, even when the volume is at max power.

And space suits also have these buttons:

I doubt they are speakers.

tocador

Smash Lord

They look nothing alike. Even small speakers are something like this:

And you can barely hear the sounds these produce, even when the volume is at max power.

And space suits also have these buttons:

I doubt they are speakers.
If you see oli's suit, in first pic, you will see there is a yellow "square" with some grey things on it. Looks like a control thingy, as for him to maybe..... control the sound aand stuff of his audio suit :D.

And the orange thingys are just like speaker, wires inside the suit, and painted orange, and you have them.

@Pic: Lets post yu-gi-oh cards because they are fun :D?

REL38

Smash Lord

The speakers could very well reside within his "lolxygen tank".
Speakers don't take up much room nor do they need to be giant to produce differentiating frequencies. Just enough to extend 15 ft. around him.

Olimar's suit bears resemblence to astronaunt suits, but that doesn't mean all of his knobs equal Human Space Suit Knobs. He only needs one knob dedicated towards his "whistle" anyways.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
That will get us closed Toc. And will anyone answer my question?

Random question: JOE! did you decide to combine both Pits together?

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
I'm not commenting on these MU's. Not only do they no interest me, they represent subjects I do not think I would converse on.

However...*Looks at the pictures from Paya's post*

Paya, a speaker is usually behind a mesh screen of some sort, that very well be a speaker on his suit in the front. As for the knobs, I have nothing.

Another explanation can be that it is a battery of a sort that powers the system that feeds Olimar the kind of air he needs to breath with, or it is a radio of some sort used to communicate with his ship, home, or with other astronauts like himself.

If the IC's can somehow use a blunt weapon that can smash things though, Olimar is doomed because air is poisonous to his species.

Hero Dude

Smash Journeyman
If Olimar sent his Pikmin to swarm ICs, if the Pikmin managed to get under their coat, it would be over.
(Ants)

Olimar doesn't have to even be close to ICs.

REL38

Smash Lord
If Olimar sent his Pikmin to swarm ICs, if the Pikmin managed to get under their coat, it would be over.
(Ants)

Olimar doesn't have to even be close to ICs.
Ultra-Spicy Spray is like putting Pikmin on super-steroids.
They're faster, more resistent to attacks and pack a big punch.

Pikmin have claws that can very well rip through the IC's coats, but the main objective would be their faces.
Gnashed face tissue and torn eye-sockets would kill the IC's.
Due to the IC's apparent physical issues, they'd fall over once 2-3 Pikmin climb on em'. That equals death.

IC's are overweight, muscle degenerated kids with hammers too big to even lift.

Olimar is commanding a crowd of animals on super-steroids.

Top Bottom