• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. Canon Tournament! (Mario Vs. ????) - 06/14/10

justaway12

Smash Master
R.O.B.O.T obviously :O

Ike will be baffaled (sp?) my this new found technology and most likely run away.

But seriously, Ike, since R.O.B's game is Mario kart, then he will most likely just drive, he could enter with a star or blue shell, but Ike can attack from far away with his supersonic shockwave thingy if R.O.B has a blue shell annd just keep his distance if ROB has a star.

@Bowser: Did you really make him lose, Mewtwo can't do anything that he can't counter, he shouldn't even have TMs >_>

REL38

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is a wild Pokemon because:

1. He appeared as such in Melee

2. He has no trainer in Melee.
Mewtwo is not shown with a trainer in Smash. He's wild.

Next, the credibility of Mystery Dungeon is very questionable.
Since when do Pokemon show the ability to create their own secret society, complete with an economical, government and housing system in place, in Pokemon Platinum or Yellow?
It even takes place in the same region as the main series.

Pokemon are given different moves throughout the series.
They do so to make certain Pokemon a little better or change up the moveset with new moves.
The fact that Mewtwo has Thunder and Blizzard is to make him a more difficult boss.
It wouldn't be very fun if all he knew were mediocre moves with only 1 good move.

Bowser not using teleportation in SM64 very often is purely poor AI.
Bowser could have been given the AI to teleport everytime Mario approached, but that would be too hard for the target audience.
Bowser could easily teleport and use fireballs upon reappearing with ease. He has both abilities. Combining them is what makes it useful. Just because he was never shown possesing the Star Rod alongside the Mushroom doesn't mean he can't dual weild them.

Unless Aura Sphere is a targeting attack that pursues the opponent, then it won't be hitting something that's not even there anymore.

Pokemon only carry berries in the wild. Only caught Pokemon can hold items, but still require trainers to activate them with the exception of berries.

Accuracy would worsen if the opponent is actively disappearing and shooting fireballs upon reappearing.
In Pokemon, it has good acuraccy due to the fact that it's an RPG where opponents don't actively dodge.
Bowser is.
Accuracy would worsen.

Bowser would not be hit. At worst, he'll receive a Future Sight, but he can tank that attack.
This brings about the same strategy he won with.

He uses a distraction item to make Mewtwo use Embargo while Bowser planks with teleportation/fireballs, Embargo runs out and Bowser repeats until all of Mewtwo's PP is gone.
Then he pulls out the Star Rod to seal the deal.

@Sasha

The shadow is for the player so they know where Bowser went.
Remember, Mario games have always been targeting kids to buy their games. Making them too difficult makes kids cry and rage-quit. That makes angry parents which hurts sales.

EDIT:

WTF Raizen?

Changing the results without explaining why?
C'mon. You can run this thread better than this.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
@Power: The whole debate.

I'm allowing Mewtwo TMs because, even though wild Pokemons may not gather TMs by themselves, they are still capable of doing so. A character must be at their fullest potential.

justaway12

Smash Master
But it's completly not canon, there wwas no evidence of Mewtwo collecting TMs, or any other pokemon, not counting spin-offs.
He is a pokemon a rare pokemon, said to live in a cave or w/e, I don't expect him to nonchalantly walk up and snag TMs, completly out of character and NOT canon

And I already said why Bowser wins, even WITH TMs >_>

PowerBomb

Smash Master
No they can't.

Pokemon NEVER CARRY TMs in the wild.

Also, Aura Sphere fails to work if it's out of range. IE, it fails against Fly, which makes the Pokemon Fly out of range. Bowser can teleport out of range and stall until Embargo wears out. Invincibility is then used.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This one's as easy as the previous one. ROB can't do anything really. Ike on the other hand...

EDIT: About Mewtwo again. No, he didn't appeared as a wild Pokemon in Melee. As a mather of fact, all characters appeared as THROPIES in that game. We don't know if Mewtwo, Pichu, Pikachu or Jigglypuff had Trainers in Melee.

I think we'll never agree anyway. When either one loses, fans of the character are gonna rage. Still gonna stick by Mewtwo's side here. Item loss is just too big of a loss to Bowser, and Mewtwo can **** him 1 vs 1.

EDIT2: Besides, there's always still Psych Up. Decription says: "Copies the foes effect(s) and gives it to the user." Invincibility is deffinatly an effect, so Embargo isn't even needed. And Mewtwo learns it naturally. <_<

And if Bowser's defences REALLY are so monsterous, and Mewtwo's really suck he could always you know... Guard Swap. Mewtwo can easiliy OHKOs himself so Bowser with Mewtwo's defences shouldn't be a problem.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
Hm, let me put it another way. If Mewtwo's capable of learning said move, then he's got it.

Why? Well, I've given every other character all possible 'things' they're able to obtain in all of their games (except Link, ofcourse), so I don't see why I should leave Mewtwo out of this.

You guys could still go on and debate. I won't finalize my decision till this round is over. You have about 3-4 more match-ups of time.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
Bringing this up again... I'm actually not doing it for mewtwo, but for Pokemon Trainer, but it affects Mewtwo, so:

Catch and Release/Infinite Stupidity: It is possible for Mewtwo to be caught, trained, taught TMs, and then released. It would take extreme stupidity, but is technically possible. It is also possible for Red to trade mediocre pokemon in exchange for legendaries from other regions. '

This needs to be accepted/rejected.

OK, Raizen basically just confirmed this rule/theory but in different words.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
Bringing this up again... I'm actually not doing it for mewtwo, but for Pokemon Trainer, but it affects Mewtwo, so:

Catch and Release/Infinite Stupidity: It is possible for Mewtwo to be caught, trained, taught TMs, and then released. It would take extreme stupidity, but is technically possible. It is also possible for Red to trade mediocre pokemon in exchange for legendaries from other regions. '

This needs to be accepted/rejected.
I'll keep this simple.

If said thing is possible in-game, and it is NOT a game mechanic or glitch, then I will allow it. Unless it's something, really, really, stupid.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Like Mewtwo getting TMs? Canon to his ****** game, he can't learn them since he's wild.

A Pokemon is wild if no trainer claims it and you can catch it.

In Melee, I don't think there's anything mentioning Mewtwo belonging to a character.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
Current Match-Up:
ROY Vs. MR. GAME & WATCH

Overall Results

Wins +1:

, , ,
, :toonlink:, :younglinkmelee:, :dedede:

Neutral:

, ,

Loss -1:

, :jigglypuff:, :gw:

Loss -2:

, ,
, :rob:,

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
@Missingnomaster: That's just a step close to something really stupid. I'll allow it (as I already did).

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Then it would be Mario v Roy (lawl).

Mewtwo still loses. And he doesn't get TMs. If you let him get TMs, then you have to allow other characters to get their greatest potential, which makes some even more broken than before.

Salem

Smash Champion
Fox would win. Even if Marth got all critical hits, he isn't a match for the Arwing.

Also, Mewtwo has better base stats than Bowser.
I'm sorry.

But Marth can fully heal each turn with Falchion and can use a magic sword to attack the arwing when within range.

He can also use the Earth Orb to attack from anywhere.

Marth wins.

Next...

Roy... vs G&W?

What does G&W has?

MrEh

Smash Hero
EDIT2: Besides, there's always still Psych Up. Decription says: "Copies the foes effect(s) and gives it to the user." Invincibility is deffinatly an effect, so Embargo isn't even needed. And Mewtwo learns it naturally. <_<
This was mentioned already. In the actual Pokemon games, Psych Up only copies stat increases. Invincibility is not a stat increase. Otherwise, it would copy Protect. Which it does not.

Psych Up would do nothing in this situation.

And if Bowser's defences REALLY are so monsterous, and Mewtwo's really suck he could always you know... Guard Swap. Mewtwo can easiliy OHKOs himself so Bowser with Mewtwo's defences shouldn't be a problem
Guard Swap doesn't even work like that.

Guard swap will only swap status boosts/drops in Defense and Sp. Defense. It will not swap Mewtwo and Bowser's base defenses.

REL38

Smash Lord
@Missing

When a Pokemon is released, it's pretty much deleted from the game.
You never see said Pokemon ever again.

There's no indication of Mewtwo ever being caught and taught TM's. Much less the specific move of Embargo since it's not very useful in-game.

@Raizen

Every character here has limitations. You're breaking em' for no good reason.
A Wild Mewtwo can't learn TM's, but now he can?

So why not give the Ness Jeff's Ray Gun?
Or give Lucas the ability to use PK Ground?

They could never use said abilities, but had access/could potentially learn them?

See the problem here?
Allowing Mewtwo abilities he couldn't access in-game means giving other characters the same treatment.

Imagine what the Fire Emblem guys get now.
And Mario with a Star Rod?

The reasoning of "had access to" is not a good reason to allow a character something they could never use.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
Then it would be Mario v Roy (lawl).

Mewtwo still loses. And he doesn't get TMs. If you let him get TMs, then you have to allow other characters to get their greatest potential, which makes some even more broken than before.
Lol, I remember what happened that last time a "Full Power Rule" was implemented.

Also, pokemon being deleted when being released is very game mechanicky.

Salem

Smash Champion
@Missing

There's no indication of Mewtwo ever being caught and taught TM's. Much less the specific move of Embargo since it's not very useful in-game.

@Raizen

They could never use said abilities, but had access/could potentially learn them?

See the problem here?
Allowing Mewtwo abilities he couldn't access in-game means giving other characters the same treatment.

The reasoning of "had access to" is not a good reason to allow a character something they could never use.
*Facepalm with lols*

If Marth gets silencer he can possibly 1HKO anybody as that negates defenses such as being invincible.

I wish we had a few doubles fights so people can have backup.

But eh...

Doesn't work that way, PKMN Trainer controls mewtwo or whatever, Mewtwo can have said moves he has ingame.

Ness can't use Jeff's gun, it says so in the game, don't be silly.

WE should only allow things which are actually possible...

justaway12

Smash Master
Mewtwo is a wild pokemon in this game, catch and release won't work because then it would go forever if realeased.

Oh and he never been shown to have a trainer, we shouldn't give people things they don't/can't have...

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Mewtwo has no trainer.

And if something is invincible, it wouldn't be affected by anything harmful anyway

EDIT: Certain legendary Pokemon in HGSS regenerate if you release them (I think, or was it faint them?). Mewtwo is not one of them. Or I don't think he is.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
Vs.

Current Match-Up:
THE POWER MONKEY Vs. THE EVIL BROTHER

Diddy Kong Vs. Wario

:diddy: Vs. :wario:

Losers Round 1, Match 7.

Who will win? YOU decide!

Overall Results

Wins +2:

Wins +1:

, , ,
, :toonlink:, :younglinkmelee:, :dedede:

Neutral:

, ,

Loss -1:

, :jigglypuff:

Loss -2:

, ,
, :rob:, :gw:

Edit: Wow, not what I expected.

Salem

Smash Champion
When I said go forever, I mean you can't see it again...

I could say a Pokemon Trainer is back-up, since he isn't shown to have one and yet we are giving it to him...
Exactly.

We need to be actually true to they're games and stop trying to hack and add in things they shouldn't have, like the ability to go back and obtain items which aren't in said other game.

We need the rule...

No back-up, including pokemon for Pkmn Trainer.
But of course back-up is only allowed in doubles cause... it's doubles, you need a partner. :p

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
@Missing

@Raizen

See the problem here?

Well, to begin, with your logic, you're saying that Marth can not get an item he obtains from a shop because he buys said item from the shopkeeper. Where will he find that shopkeeper on a neutral field? Where will Mario find his items on a neutral field?

Mewtwo can access those abilities in game, but does not. It is technically possible.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Actually, he can't no matter what if he's wild.. If you guys give Mewtwo TMs, you're breaking canon.

@Salem: That would be a game mechanic. You can't break invincibility. It wouldn't be invincibility! xD

justaway12

Smash Master
@Salem: I agree, unless that was an argument o_O

@Raizen: He REALLLY didn't have access to them, he couldn't go and buy it in a shop or scavange or anything, he is a wild pokemon, it is not technically possible in games since it breaks canon.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
@Salem: I agree, unless that was an argument o_O

@Raizen: He REALLLY didn't have access to them, he couldn't go and buy it in a shop or scavange or anything, he is a wild pokemon, it is not technically possible in games since it breaks canon.
So, should I also not allow about the rest of the cast who rely on items, their items?

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
Exactly.

We need to be actually true to they're games and stop trying to hack and add in things they shouldn't have, like the ability to go back and obtain items which aren't in said other game.

We need the rule...

No back-up, including pokemon for Pkmn Trainer.
But of course back-up is only allowed in doubles cause... it's doubles, you need a partner. :p
I believe he's called Pokemon Trainer for a reason.

Top Bottom