• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Olimar Stage Discussion

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i like to bring diddy to fd, because i am good at getting control of a banana.

i also like to mention i 3-stocked ADHD on rainbow cruise, even though it was epic fail on his part it happened :p

Johnny Citrus

Smash Apprentice
Alright so what characters would you cp this stage against per se? Anyone in specific?
-Luigi
-Wario
-Marth
-Snake?

I like bringing them to FD. I don't think FD is typically Olimar's best cp stage but it's still a solid good one for Olimar in most match-ups.

I have more trouble against mk on FD >_> The platforms on BF/Lylat and other stages always seem to help me in that match-up.

Johnny Citrus

Smash Apprentice
anyone who loves/uses platforms alot......( or someone who relies on vertical kills..?)

If you use olimar you're going to be relying a lot on vertical kills as well (upsmash, occasional uair kills and purple up-throw), so FD is your best bet for characters you need to camp hard against, like the a fore mentioned peach, luigi, Marth, etc.

There's no glaring problem with FD that could hurt Olimar more than any other stage, it just helps his camping game. I think that's something most people can agree on. It's a solid stage for Olimar, maybe not the best stage to be used as a cp depending on the match-up.

Should we move onto the next stage or cover something else about FD?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
At high levels of play people are more likely to kill vertically than not. That is, unless they're getting gimped. Just wanted to throw that out there.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Well on FD there are some chars that u dont want to be at an all out camping war against.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
i never pick the same stage as a cp

it always depends on the matchup...

you don't want to pick bf v.s. marth but it's an amazing ddd \ snake counter

Johnny Citrus

Smash Apprentice
Well on FD there are some chars that u dont want to be at an all out camping war against.
What characters would those be? I'm pretty sure camping is a good option for Olimar in any match-up and FD really gives Oli the space to do that =/

-Coco-

Smash Ace
-Luigi
-Wario
-Marth
-Snake?

I like bringing them to FD. I don't think FD is typically Olimar's best cp stage but it's still a solid good one for Olimar in most match-ups.

I have more trouble against mk on FD >_> The platforms on BF/Lylat and other stages always seem to help me in that match-up.
I to like to take Marth here <.<

and I actually do better against mk on FD

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Actually the only mu that FD ****s us up in is the pit matchup. Just dont bring pit here and your fine.

Noa.

Smash Master
So yeah, we've decided pretty much who to take here and who not to take. Lets move one to another stage. Like Smashville or battlefield.

Noa.

Smash Master
It's important to finish the neutral stages before moving on to the counterpicks. Neutrals are the stages that most players play on, so they're more imperative.

Besides, I thought Hilt was going to make a thread about Delfino.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Battlefield

Summary: Most likely not our best neutral, but easily a good stage for Olimar. Olimar's platform pressure game is amazing, and makes Battlefield too good to pass up. Using up air and nair, and even up smash at times, if an opponent lands on a platform, they're most likely going to get hit. Platform trapping works extremely well. However, in the same situation, if we're against an opponent that works really well trapping us when on a platform, or using it to their advantage to start an easy, effective juggle, the stage could turn against us. It should also be noted that kills come earlier on here than on Final Destination, which usually helps us more than our opponents. Olimar dies, oftentimes, from gimps, while our kills usually result from us actually knocking the opponent past the blast zone, whether it be from the stage, or going off stage for an unexpected kill. Battlefield's two side platforms also eliminate some character's 45 Degree approaches, making our defensive options somewhat more viable against characters that do well against us.

Pros:
-Olimar's ability to utilize the platforms to trap the opponent
-The platforms decrease the approach options of certain characters that do well against us, but not all
-Earlier kills due to slightly closer blast zones

Cons:
-Olimar is vulnerable to platform traps as well

Counterpick/Neutral:
:rob:

Neutral: Snake, Diddy, Ice Climbers, Pikachu

Ban/Strike:
:marth: :luigi2:

Strike Against: Peach, Meta Knight, Kirby, Mr. Game and Watch, Wario, Lucario, Toon Link, DK, Shiek, Dedede

Pluck Percentages
Main Stage: 23%, 23%, 23%, 15%, 15%

Return to Stage Directory

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Wait, what? Im just gonna repost what i said earlier: Snake is a lot harder to face on bf or yi. He can just put his grenades or c4s on top of platforms right above us; pressuring us. It ****s up our approach to mid range.

Johnny Citrus

Smash Apprentice
The platforms can help a lot against Snake. The platforms don't benefit Snake as much as they do in other match-ups since Olimar's whistle super-armor prevents early uptilt kills when he's below you. The platfroms help Oli's combos and upsmash kills as well. If you manage to get Snake into the air, he has three options. He could land on the ground again where you can set up something like a pivot grab, he could fall and grab the ledge (which would limit his options by forcing him to safely recover >_>) or he could land on a platform. If he lands on a platform this is great for Olimar since whenever Olimar is vertically below him or just about any character Olimar has a lot more options with his vertical attacks (and maybe even upb if you can set that up), and Snake is closer to the ceiling if he's on a platform, making it easier to get upsmash/uair kills.

Also the C4's aren't a big problem, it's a telegraphed move so just be sure to just shield it when it happens lol. As far as grenades landing on platforms, I can see that benefiting Snake though I don't see how else the platforms could really help Snake more than they help Oli.

This is obviously a good stage vs. Diddy too. Maybe Ice Climbers as far as neutrals go? I'm not sure about that match-up.

Noa.

Smash Master
I wouldn't say that BF is bad in the snake matchup. But it's not where I would want to take Snake. His grenades are buffed tremendously.

Anyways, BF like all of the other neutrals is a good Oli stage.

It allows for decent camping and aids in comboing and juggling. Throws kill much earlier on this stage in comparison to FD. On fd blue bthrow 140, bf 120,. On fd purple uthrow 120, bf 110. It's just easier to kill on bf.

PSIQuasi

Smash Cadet
Although Snake could pressure us on the platforms with explosives, I feel like its an average stage to fight him. A major problem on BF would have to be Marth, since he can tip through the platforms, and his aerial mobility with platforms.

IMO, the stage seems small, yet balanced, less than decent room for camping, and satisfy the fundamentals of Olimars.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Alright, finally have the time to post my thoughts @_@

Battlefield is an above average Olimar stage. I don't like it as much as some people do, definitely the neutral I play the least. There are matchups that I would not want to take certain characters to, but it's not too big of a deal tbh. I don't mind facing MK on BF too much. You don't want to fight Marth here, but it's not completely terrible. I'd rather face him here than Lylat, tbh. Peach and Luigi on the other hand... well especially luigi lol. Don't fight Lucario here either, and probably DDD, just from theory. And yeah, Llumys, shiek as well. There isn't too much to say in general about Battlefield. It's a pretty basic stage, platforms work well for usmash and uair traps. Size isn't too big of a deal.

When discussion ends we'll move to the next stage. I really don't know how much discussion we can get out of battlefield >.>

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I like this stage better than FD, because of the platform pressure, and Oli's projectile doesn't suffer as bad as other character's would. But I wouldn't like to be here with snake, though it may be useful to avoid the grenades

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Kinda have to agree. So are there no characters you would really want to CP to battlefield? I can't really think of any, tbh. There are usually several better options for just about every matchup.

PSIQuasi

Smash Cadet
I would consider BF an alternate if FD is gone, unless you fight a Snake and Ban Smashville, since IMO Smashville would be a better alternative, but the time will come to discuss it. Overall, we need someone to wrap up everything so we can move onto smashville, or cps.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You take R.O.B. to Battlefield if he doesn't ban it. *shrugs*

Noa.

Smash Master
Actually, I would also take ROB to battlefield. He's much easier to juggle and it's his worst neutral.

I remember getting two stocked by a ROB on lylat, then I took him to bf and two stocked him. He two stocked again last game on smashville. :(

But bf is good against ROB.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Might have to agree with taking Rob to Battlefield, for the neutral at least. Don't know about the counterpick though, I can think of other better options. It's not too much better than FD, but I would rather face him at BF than FD, tbh.

If there's not much more discussion by the end of the day, I'll switch the discussion to the next stage.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
wow i have seen a ton of things that people think are opposite of what i think

i LOVE to bring snake/marth here.

Against snake, yes he can pull out a nade and his c4 is amazing on the platforms, but you aren't supposed to be near the c4 unless he throws you near it. you aren't supposed to uair snake through the stage/platform BECAUSE of the grenades. You still can, just do it off to the side away from his nade. I love having snake above me because i can spam usmash away from the nades and if they shield it may push them off into a stumble animation and you get a free smash on them. it's also even harder for snake to land because of the platforms, and you want him in the air. just pressure him with usmash/tether/uairs but not if there is a nade.

Against marth, his approach is extremely limited because of the platforms. the platforms nearly ELIMINATE the 45-angle problem we have against marth, and when he's recovering if he makes it past the fsmash it's usually above us, and the platforms being there kind of screw him up when he tries to land. If i bring marth to any stage it's usually this.

as llumys said, platform pressure with nair.uair is too good to pass up

i like to bring robs to FD before i would BF, but this is a good stage against rob as well. all you have to do is get him above you and you are golden because of the platforms and your uair/tether/nair. short sides/ceilings make for quick kill on rob as well.

that's all i can think of. switch discussion gogo

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Tbh I like to face snake here as well, for the neutral, over the other options. I'd much rather face him here than SV. Though I don't cp it much. I... don't really cp many neutrals usually though, other than FD occasionally XD

New stage coming tonight.

PSIQuasi

Smash Cadet
wow i have seen a ton of things that people think are opposite of what i think

i LOVE to bring snake/marth here.

Against snake, yes he can pull out a nade and his c4 is amazing on the platforms, but you aren't supposed to be near the c4 unless he throws you near it. you aren't supposed to uair snake through the stage/platform BECAUSE of the grenades. You still can, just do it off to the side away from his nade. I love having snake above me because i can spam usmash away from the nades and if they shield it may push them off into a stumble animation and you get a free smash on them. it's also even harder for snake to land because of the platforms, and you want him in the air. just pressure him with usmash/tether/uairs but not if there is a nade.
I agree with this 100%, i feel the same way. NOW, we can move onto smashville or a final overview of all the information, favorably smashville.

Top Bottom