• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overswarm's PROVE IT Contest!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Overswarm's PROVE IT contest!

Here is the MWC: East stage list:

Stage List said:
Starters: Starters decided via "stage strike". They are all in the tournament by default, minimum of 5, both customs on at every tournament until otherwise noted. All stages can be used as counterpicks.

Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Battlefield
Pokémon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise
Equity
Libra

Group A: These stages are in every tournament by default
Final Destination
Castle Siege
Halberd
Delfino
Pokémon Stadium 2
Pictochat
Abyss

Group B: Minimum of 3 stages from this list Maximum of 5 stages
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pirate Ship
Rainbow Cruise

Group C: Minimum of 2 stages from this list, max of 4
Distant Planet
Green Greens
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Onett
The contest is for you to pick any ONE stage from group C and make a video showing how it is broken. You must have one (maximum of three) videos of actual gameplay footage to accompany this.

If there are at least 5 separate people entering the contest, there will be a guaranteed prize of free singles and doubles entry as well as venue fee for the circuit event of your choice to the creator of the best video. You don't have to convince me to ban the stage to win the prize.

If you DO convince me, you will win the prize AND I will remove the stage from the circuit. In addition, if I am convinced by more than one person, they all win the prize. Additionally, one person can win this prize MULTIPLE TIMES for different stages.

You do not have to be a resident of the midwest to enter into this contest. You are able to give your prize to another smasher if you want (So someone in New Jersey could win the contest and give their prize to someone in Ohio).

An alternate prize is for me to buy you two NES Games on the Wii Shop Channel and send them to your Wii (non-hacked Wiis only)

This contest will go on until February 1st.

To recap:

-make a video showing why you think a stage should be banned and upload it to YouTube and post it in the contest thread (Take it serious)
-The video must be posted with one to three gameplay videos (Real games only; the games should be played at a competitive level and anything that happens due to player stupidity will be ignored, so don't make a video about how GGreens should be banned and stand on the blocks and die from a bomb. Tournament videos preferred if possible)
- If there are more than 5 separate people entering the contest, there is a guaranteed prize of free singles and doubles entry as well as venue fee for the winning video
-If you convince me, the stage will be removed from the circuit and you win the prize
-If multiple people convince me, they all win the prize. If one person convinces me with multiple stages, they win the prize once for each stage.
-You do not have to be a resisident of the Midwest to enter
-If you win a prize, you can give it to another player if you so desire
-The contest ends on Feb. 1st, so all videos must be uploaded by this time (I will check YouTube upload dates)

Just a side note: I don't care about video quality. As long as I can actually SEE the game and know what is going on, that's okay. I know not all of you have Dazzle; filming a TV screen with a camera is A-OK with me. It is the content, not the presentation, that matters to me.

Important side note: A lot of people have a certain idea as to what is good or bad for competitive play, but try to make your video as impartial to that as possible. Not everyone thinks a hazard means instant ban. Show how the hazard is bad, or show how it is more than just one character or one matchup that makes the stage really good. Be convincing and fair, and don't focus on one thing and do your research.

TP

Smash Master
Pirate Ship deserves to be banned more than any of the Group C stages, since it is the only one that completely changes game play.

Cool contest, though.

:034:

ook

Smash Lord
I'd do this, but I LOVE all the group C stages.
(except port town. **** that stage. But no one picks it anyway)
It would be :( if they were banned. Gotta have my janky stages

Can we make videos to prove how some currently-banned stages are NOT broken? :bee:
even if it's not for the contest im gonna do it anyway

Sago

Smash Lord
tripping in to the spring isent controllable. And since you can airdodge through the spring it actually allows him an unexpected approach. What he did was actually pretty smart until he triped. Also the bombs are completely random and can combo :(

jokey665

Smash Ace
tripping in to the spring isent controllable. And since you can airdodge through the spring it actually allows him an unexpected approach. What he did was actually pretty smart until he triped. Also the bombs are completely random and can combo :(
You can DI the spring so it doesn't kill you and the bombs can't hit you if you're on the top platform.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Pirate Ship's hazards are completely avoidable, hahah. It's banned due to rudder camping being extremely controversial (all thanks to me pointing out a large number of attacks actually hit the camper!)

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
uh, heh, sorry but no. being anywhere near the hazard was player stupidity. NEXT
who is this guy

anyways jiggs/squirtle/maybe gw? will die to the catapult without di

i didn't di it. i wonder why?

the catapult isn't really a big deal though, and i'd argue that the bombs aren't that much of an issue either. it's the water camping.

TP

Smash Master
Pirate Ship's hazards are completely avoidable, hahah. It's banned due to rudder camping being extremely controversial (all thanks to me pointing out a large number of attacks actually hit the camper!)
LOL. Rudder camping has nothing to do with it being banned. Nobody will actually rudder camp in tourney, and if they do they will get DQed. Planking is beatable too, that doesn't mean it isn't a bannable tactic. As Steeler said, it's the water camping. It's an entirely different game.

All the Group C stages are fine though, lol.

:034:

Linkshot

Smash Hero
I don't consider it another game just because water is in the minority of stages :/
Are you going to claim that edgeguarding is another game because it doesn't take place on the stage, either?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Are you going to claim that's a valid comparison because ledges are only on main stage platforms and not the various fall-through platforms?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
My only real claim is that people are calling Water Camping a "different game" because it can't be seen as often as edgeguarding is. It's most prominent on one stage, yes, but should it really be shunned?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
My only real claim is that people are calling Water Camping a "different game" because it can't be seen as often as edgeguarding is. It's most prominent on one stage, yes, but should it really be shunned?
Well, circle camping on Temple, Spear Pillar, and New Pork City aren't seen as often as edgeguarding either. Yet by some injustice those are shunned as well. Sad, isn't it?

jokey665

Smash Ace
OS, I'm a melee player all daily, but I had this video from a tournament I was in a while back.

Brawl isn't my game but God****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB6ZKApeZqw
Find a video of that happening on a good player, because in reality you'd never put yourself in that position if you knew anything about the stage. Most of the so-called "gay stage deaths" are usually a result of poor planning on the recipients part, or good planning on the opponents part to get them in the right spot at the right time.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Find a video of that happening on a good player, because in reality you'd never put yourself in that position if you knew anything about the stage. Most of the so-called "gay stage deaths" are usually a result of poor planning on the recipients part, or good planning on the opponents part to get them in the right spot at the right time.
all hopeful participants to "Overswarm's PROVE IT Contest!" should read this post over and over until it becomes clear that this logic will be used to weasel out of any legitimate arguments

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I'm probably not going to any of your circuit events anymore so there's really no motivation to spend time on this.

Not that I really think you'll actually think any of these stages are broken regardless of what videos people make. Your definition of broken is a lot different from most of the people you disagree with so it's mostly a waste of time.

People are better off just making a video that looks nice more than anything to try to win the prize for that.

jokey665

Smash Ace
all hopeful participants to "Overswarm's PROVE IT Contest!" should read this post over and over until it becomes clear that this logic will be used to weasel out of any legitimate arguments
I'm serious. Find a video of m2k, lain, dojo, az, ninjalink, etc etc being d-tilted (or similar) into a klaptrap and I'll concede my point.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm probably not going to any of your circuit events anymore so there's really no motivation to spend time on this.

Not that I really think you'll actually think any of these stages are broken regardless of what videos people make. Your definition of broken is a lot different from most of the people you disagree with so it's mostly a waste of time.

People are better off just making a video that looks nice more than anything to try to win the prize for that.
Tyr, you're hopeless. If you think that you can't learn anything on a stage or shouldn't play on a stage simply because you think its dumb and then can't take an hour or so to put together a convincing video, don't complain about the stages. Your mentality hinders you. Most good players can play on these stages with only a little practice; many of them don't like them because they are different and change matchups considerably, but that doesn't make them less tournament viable. If you disagree, make a video and prove it isn't viable.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Aw maaaaan. I totally want to help with this, but:

1) I has no filming thingy
If you disagree, make a video and prove it isn't viable.
Not everyone has recording gear we might want to update the OP so if someone is coming to a future tounry to bring there recording to help them

I'm also sure we could argue why a stage should be banned in text as well as video we shouldn't shut people out that don't have recording gear (or go to tounrys to get it recorded)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Videos only! You've got more than two full months to do this, and if you can't save a few replays and send them to a friend, or go to a friends house who has a digital camera, or go to a tournament and ask someone who has a camera, or or or.... do so!

I am adding "will buy two NES ROMs for the winner if they prefer that as an alternate prize" so people outside of the midwest can get a prize themselves. This is mostly for the MW though, so prize is smaller. :)

lain

Smash Master
Why isn't this joke thread locked yet?

...if OS is being serious, then... he must be hopeless. Who gives a **** what os thinks about stages being broken or whatever? If he is to be the judge of ANYTHING, then I immediately sense shenanigans.

OS, this is coming from the heart of the #1 player in the region:

You suck. You haven't progressed since June 2008. Anyone who listens to you sucks. Your MK is about equal to what would happen if Judge drank 5 jagerbombs and then tried to play ZSS--clumsy, slow, and hasn't the slightest clue what the **** he is actually doing. The ONLY difference between you and an inebriated Nick playing a character he has no knowledge about, is that YOU, my friend, are COMPLETELY oblivious to 3 things:

1. You are really bad at this game.
2. You have no idea what you're talking about, ever.
3. No one likes you.

quit life

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Please don't derail the thread with flaming. You are free to ignore this thread if you so desire.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Why isn't this joke thread locked yet?

...if OS is being serious, then... he must be hopeless. Who gives a **** what os thinks about stages being broken or whatever? If he is to be the judge of ANYTHING, then I immediately sense shenanigans.

OS, this is coming from the heart of the #1 player in the region:

You suck. You haven't progressed since June 2008. Anyone who listens to you sucks. Your MK is about equal to what would happen if Judge drank 5 jagerbombs and then tried to play ZSS--clumsy, slow, and hasn't the slightest clue what the **** he is actually doing. The ONLY difference between you and an inebriated Nick playing a character he has no knowledge about, is that YOU, my friend, are COMPLETELY oblivious to 3 things:

1. You are really bad at this game.
2. You have no idea what you're talking about, ever.
3. No one likes you.

quit life
^^^^cool guy^^^^

Sliq

Smash Master
Lain is probably one of the most productive and proactive smashers I have ever met.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
That post was the saddest pile of crap I've ever seen. I used to respect Lain.

This simply proves that top level players are conceded and don't want their matchup charts skewed by a stage.

Please leave Smash and go play a game that isn't influenced by a stage.

In Smash, the stage is a third character at a neutral point. Learn the matchup, and you can use it to your advantage. If you choose to be oblivious to it? Well, you're going get "gheyed". Except "gheyed" means you decided to ignore that the stage exists and your opponent used it to their advantage.

If M2K knew nothing about, say, Delfino, and then got water shenaniganned because he didn't learn the water mechanics, is he really the better play and the stage just chose bias against him? No. He chose not to learn about something because it didn't appeal to him, and then it bit him in the *** because somebody else did their research.

What's The Point

Smash Master
Eighteenspikes is pretty much right. Sure, I can make a video of say Dedede getting a percent/stock lead on some characters then camping the left part of Onett, where fighting is extremely in his favor if the character is chain grabbable. The problem is OS's criteria for banning is way to lax so it won't matter what anyone presents. Either it will be player stupidity for the non-Dedede to get percent/stock advantage, or that it nullifies slightly over half the cast isn't enough characters made useless, or some wrong explanation about how cars can stop this, or just default to the video not containing enough pro players in a tournament setting.

Edit - Actually, OS' criteria seems flakey, so I've got some questions for him to maybe figure out how to ban stuff.

Why do you have these stages banned?

Corneria
Mario Kart
Mario Bros
Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Sky World
Snake's Stage
Green Hill Zone
Hanenbow
Big Blue

Top Bottom