• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
i can't get to the point to create one.

"texconv.exe is not recognized as an internal or external coomand, operable program or barch file"

that's what i get in my cmd.exe when i double click on the batch file.

and if i have texconv.exe in the same folder as the batch and click the batch, i get

"documents\smash\drnr>call texconv.exe 01.tcs 01.tpl
failed to create D3D device"

is there anyway someone could just upload the TPL's to make everyones life a little easier, haha.

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
Humm. That sounds like a hexing problem.....
Did you hex the files correctly? As in, did you find their appropriate places in the Fox/Samus sound files? Remember to keep in mind: if your sound is BIGGER than the original (in terms of seconds), then it will NOT work, period. However, if it is shorter, then you will need to add "..." in the hex after where your file ends, so to compensate for the missing space (in hex, it's also known as "00 00"). An easy way to know just how many "00 00" to add after the file is to copy-paste your file into the original, then go down to where YOUR file ends, and add 00 00 from there until you reach the end of the original... Simple enough.

After that, you need to copy the 2-3-something lines from the very beginning of your edited file (I can't remember just exactly where they begin to copy; it's probably explained on the first post), and paste them over the original lines in the character Sound file. Again, an easy way to locate these lines is to copy them from the original sound file, and seek them in the actual Samus/Fox sound file(s).
It's exactly what I did. I don't understand why it doesn't work correctly...
My sounds are exactly the same size, something like 0,435s for the original and 0,435s for the new sound.
I think it's a hexing problem too, but don't know where...
Thank you for your answer.

Steelia

Smash Champion
i can't get to the point to create one.

"texconv.exe is not recognized as an internal or external coomand, operable program or barch file"

that's what i get in my cmd.exe when i double click on the batch file.

and if i have texconv.exe in the same folder as the batch and click the batch, i get

"documents\smash\drnr>call texconv.exe 01.tcs 01.tpl
failed to create D3D device"
What kind of computer do you have? I know I've heard of cases like this... I don't know whether there are any special programs you need to have installed with TexConv in order to utilize it properly... All that comes to mind for me is something called ActivePerl, but I don't think that is needed for TexConv...

It's exactly what I did. I don't understand why it doesn't work correctly...
My sounds are exactly the same size, something like 0,435s for the original and 0,435s for the new sound.
I think it's a hexing problem too, but don't know where...
Thank you for your answer.
Whoops, also forgot to point out, Did you also keep the same SAMPLE rate? Sometimes it can be 32000, sometimes it can be 16000, or even strange ones like 42000 or something. Not altering your custom one to the same SAMPLE rate can also throw it off, in terms of size and sound.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I just want to make sure i'm doing it right, before i blame it on my computer.

1.I put both the batch and the exe file into the DrNr folder.
2.Run the batch file

the folder, the one you made obviously has all the tga files in seperate folders, and the tcs just laying out.

if the is ANY step i'm missing, let me know!

I'm also running Vista, if it matters...

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
I just verified :
- Fox original : 0,406s / 16 bit / Mono / 256 kbps / 16,000 kHz
- New Fox : 0,406s / 16 bit / Mono / 256 kbps / 16,000 kHz

- Samus original : 2,324s / 16 bit / Mono / 352 kbps / 22,050 kHz
- New Samus : 2,323s / 16 bit / Mono / 352 kbps / 22,050 kHz

I'll try with other sounds to understand where is the problem.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I just verified :
- Fox original : 0,406s / 16 bit / Mono / 256 kbps / 16,000 kHz
- New Fox : 0,406s / 16 bit / Mono / 256 kbps / 16,000 kHz

- Samus original : 2,324s / 16 bit / Mono / 352 kbps / 22,050 kHz
- New Samus : 2,323s / 16 bit / Mono / 352 kbps / 22,050 kHz

I'll try with other sounds to understand where is the problem.
Humm.
Do you mind supplying me your sfx that you used? I want to see for myself just what's going down here. (Also, which sounds did you replace again, rather, which moves exactly? If you want, you can also give the original sfx files you were replacing, so I know what I can work with.)

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Hm, I thought I already posted earlier about this, but I guess it never went through.

@Zyx
When the rest of the sounds sound scratchy and garbled, it means that the decoder coefficients are messed up in some way. Sounds like you changed the right values for the audio you actually did change, but the ones you left alone have somehow mutated....
These "decoder coefficients" are the data from 0x1c - 0x3c in the DSPs. How do you find out where to put these values in the SSM? Do you overwrite the original decoder data, or do you insert in front of it? If you insert, that would cause the rest of them to mess up.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

@The Good Doctor
Up until your latest post "I just want to make sure i'm doing it right, before i blame it on my computer..." things did not look good for you.
The error "documents\smash\drnr>call texconv.exe 01.tcs 01.tpl failed to create D3D device" is really weird. That shouldn't happen at all. You need to put TexConv.exe in DrNr, as well as that batch file, yes.
What's getting me interested is the "D3D device" error. This sounds like TexConv itself is the problem. Where did you get TexConv from?

Zyx

Smash Journeyman
These "decoder coefficients" are the data from 0x1c - 0x3c in the DSPs. How do you find out where to put these values in the SSM? Do you overwrite the original decoder data, or do you insert in front of it? If you insert, that would cause the rest of them to mess up.
- I copy 0x1c to 0x3c from the original .dsp

- I use the "research mode" (Ctrl+F) to find this coefficient in the .ssm
The coefficient is now underline in yellow.

- I copy 0x1c to 0x3c from the new .dsp

- Then I past it over the coefficient (underlined in yellow) in the .ssm

(I use Hex Workshop)

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
i downloaded it randomly off some website, so thats why I thought it was a bad version. haha.
i think i'm either need to find another version, or get it sent it to somehow, haha.

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
If, if, IF, and a big if at that, we managed to find a way of altering the models of characters... who would we make first? What would we do, conduct some kind of poll, or make a separate topic of possibilities? Just a thought.

I know I've always wanted to see Sonic in Melee. I just about cried tears of joy when I learned he was in Brawl (and now I just want to cry tears of despair for the same reason). If I don't get carried away, he'd likely be the first "I" would work on, given such hackings are within my limitations...
Sonic, Giegue, Ridley come to mind first, for whatever reason. But I'll try not to get carried away on the subject. :p
OMG I'd LOVE to have Giegue but then again all ou have to do is remove MewTwo's second neck to get him. Ridley would be suuuuper sick also. Another thing to put into consideration would be how would they look? Like Sonic is in Brawl so how would he look, dumbed down or what? And Ridley's size would be how big? But back to the point you should put a poll on your website when the time comes to actually being able to do Models. IF it's possible. D:

`DNS`

Smash Lord
i can't find where in the .dat file the .tpl is.. is it supposed to be an exact match, or what? i don't wanna put it in the wrong spot and lose that part by screwing it up :3

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
Another thing to put into consideration would be how would they look? Like Sonic is in Brawl so how would he look, dumbed down or what?
Other than the lighting, Sonic would look practically like how he does in Brawl, as well as everyone else.

And Ridley's size would be how big?
Would probably be the same height as Giga Bowser, if not a tad less.

Milun

Smash Ace
People. I tried to crack models again. And I have but one thing to say: P is for Progress!

As I mentioned earlier, through hex comparison, I managed to discover the exact location of Pikachu's hat. After performing trial and error yet again, I discovered that the format for the model data is: ## #0 ** *0 %% %0.

## = Horizontal movement
** = Vertical movement
%% = Forward/Backward movement

And after tampering a little with my program, I show you the rip of Pikachu's hat (The wire frame is for comparison).

However, there is an issue that shows: There's static towards the edges (and I'm sure that if left alone, there should be no bad consequences). Another issue you can see is that the edges are a little wonky. I'm sure there are decimal points in there somewhere, but for now I don't know.

Currently, my program can only view the X and Y values, and not export them, but I'll keep working. And at the risk of freaking you out even more, guess who this is:

(keep in mind that my program didn't finish rendering when I took the snapshot, so that their arms and legs are gone).

Steelia

Smash Champion
@Milun, that is wicked stuff. Even the smallest bit of progress has me leaping. :D
(Also, at the last pic... for whatever reason, the first character that came to mind was Mario. Second would have to be one of the Ice Climbers, but I know I'd be terribly off on that; I have no idea. :p )
With that, do you mind if I make a post in regards to your progression at my site? I feel it would interest a few people, and hopefully have a few more look into this more seriously. :)

OMG I'd LOVE to have Giegue but then again all ou have to do is remove MewTwo's second neck to get him. Ridley would be suuuuper sick also. Another thing to put into consideration would be how would they look? Like Sonic is in Brawl so how would he look, dumbed down or what? And Ridley's size would be how big? But back to the point you should put a poll on your website when the time comes to actually being able to do Models. IF it's possible. D:
Giegue, have to remove the "second neck" (lol), but also give him straighter horns, get rid of the chest plate "armor", somewhat shrink his head, and give him whip-like arms, legs, and tail, . If you've ever seen his EarthBound ZERO/MOTHER sprite, he's very skinny. There'd be a lot more work going into him than just removing a tube... as much as I wish that wasn't so.
Ridley, Hm... To tell you the truth, I would likely make him the size of the tallest PLAYABLE character in Melee (who would that be, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Mewtwo?), if not a little bigger. I remember seeing some Photoshopped images of Ridley, on how he would've appeared in Brawl... I've gotta tell you. I've never looked at him the same way again. He looked perfectly natural, despite having been shrunk down to normal standards. Hey, if Olimar could become massively grown, and Bowser himself (who is now absolutely hulking in the games, his Adventure Mode counterpart staying true to his original size) had to be toned down... why not. That is why we experiment. ;)
As for Sonic... I would see no reason why not just to import his Brawl model, or at the very least utilize his Brawl textures. Why work harder when it's already made for you? :p ~But to be rather frank, I would likely do a bit of a model overhaul on him. I'm not too fond on the way he looks in Brawl... The spines are too big/long, he is constantly flashing that annoying smile, and he doesn't look angry enough. Just a few tweaks here and there... I would want him to appear more like his Sonic 1/2/3 incarnation rather than the "new" him.
And yes, a poll would definitely be on the list of it.

i can't find where in the .dat file the .tpl is.. is it supposed to be an exact match, or what? i don't wanna put it in the wrong spot and lose that part by screwing it up :3
It will NOT be an exact-exact match... However, if you were to copy-paste your custom TPL into the DAT file, onto a place you think might be the original spot... hey, go for it. A majority of the time, the data is extremely similar; you'll know it when you see it. It's something you become accustomed to as you progress, trust me. ;)

Twissterr

Smash Rookie
hey i need serious help iv i have downloaded cios and miospatcher and they both install but when i run gc backup launcher it says error or no disc or failed to read dvd. i tried reinstalling cios and mios and i removed all other apps but still no go please help.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
i lost the spot in the .dat that i thought was it before.. and now texconv won't work to recreate the .tpl .. it says.. xxxxxx.tga has no palette
:(

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
i did get the wii sdk, but it didn't have Texconv.exe in it, but it did have two other texconv components

texconv.sin
texconv.vcproj

i take it vcproj is the vitural console

Milun

Smash Ace
S., you can post my info on your site, but you really shouldn't get ahead of yourself: I can almost guarantee that I will not be able to import Sonic's model into Melee, as I have no idea where the bone and UV map data is stored; I doubt I'll even be able to apply faces to the assortments of the vertices (but I think in time I might figure it out). Currently, I'm unsure whether you could even add vertices, so I'm only making my program manipulate what's provided (but there are so many points, I doubt you'll need more). It'll have to be small scale tested with simple tasks first, like changing Mario into Wario, and maybe Samus into Megaman.

Oh btw, you were right, it was Mario.

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
Giegue, have to remove the "second neck" (lol), but also give him straighter horns, get rid of the chest plate "armor", somewhat shrink his head, and give him whip-like arms, legs, and tail, . If you've ever seen his EarthBound ZERO/MOTHER sprite, he's very skinny. There'd be a lot more work going into him than just removing a tube... as much as I wish that wasn't so.
Ridley, Hm... To tell you the truth, I would likely make him the size of the tallest PLAYABLE character in Melee (who would that be, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Mewtwo?), if not a little bigger. I remember seeing some Photoshopped images of Ridley, on how he would've appeared in Brawl... I've gotta tell you. I've never looked at him the same way again. He looked perfectly natural, despite having been shrunk down to normal standards. Hey, if Olimar could become massively grown, and Bowser himself (who is now absolutely hulking in the games, his Adventure Mode counterpart staying true to his original size) had to be toned down... why not. That is why we experiment. ;)
As for Sonic... I would see no reason why not just to import his Brawl model, or at the very least utilize his Brawl textures. Why work harder when it's already made for you? :p ~But to be rather frank, I would likely do a bit of a model overhaul on him. I'm not too fond on the way he looks in Brawl... The spines are too big/long, he is constantly flashing that annoying smile, and he doesn't look angry enough. Just a few tweaks here and there... I would want him to appear more like his Sonic 1/2/3 incarnation rather than the "new" him.
And yes, a poll would definitely be on the list of it.
Ahaha you took me to school about changing Mewtwo into Giegue. It sounds like you know exactly what to do in order to make him look perfect. Would Modeling be like/Or HOW Brawl modeling you'll have to texture the models and what-not? If so would he have Mewtwo's color and such?
I do believe Ganon is the tallest Character in the game so I suppose Ridley being a tad taller wouldn't be out of the concept. I'd love to see the photoshopped images you're speaking about. If they'd look like anything how BigSharkZ made the model/resizing Ridley on Charizard then that'd be sooo cool. As for making Sonic look less like his "Modern self" how would it (Please don't rage at me D:) work if there were to be a Shadow model; Spikes, shoes, color, ect, ect?

And on the Model figuring out, Good **** Milun!
You've made a crapload of progress in a short time. =DD

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
funny story, i edited doc mario
s sleeve, and it didn't show up in game...=/

and what do i do if my edited texture somehow becomes larger than the original in size, start over?

I think im doing the hex thing wrong, haha i'm so dumb.

1. search for matches using the search function in hex workshop.
2. copy the new tpl from the 5th line down.
3. paste the new code at the offset.

I just think i suck hard at finding the offset, is there any easy way to. because i'm looking through both the hex on the dat and tpl and can't find crap...

`DNS`

Smash Lord
and what do i do if my edited texture somehow becomes larger than the original in size, start over?
lol i did the same thing.. i think you have to save it so that it's exactly the same size, if not less...

i edited Doc's eye, and it didn't fit so i wanted to see what would happen if i cut a bit off to make it fit..

it just gave him a purple/pink mask
at least i got somewhere tho

how do you save it as a certain size as the TGA format? :<

Steelia

Smash Champion
S., you can post my info on your site, but you really shouldn't get ahead of yourself: I can almost guarantee that I will not be able to import Sonic's model into Melee, as I have no idea where the bone and UV map data is stored; I doubt I'll even be able to apply faces to the assortments of the vertices (but I think in time I might figure it out). Currently, I'm unsure whether you could even add vertices, so I'm only making my program manipulate what's provided (but there are so many points, I doubt you'll need more). It'll have to be small scale tested with simple tasks first, like changing Mario into Wario, and maybe Samus into Megaman.

Oh btw, you were right, it was Mario.
Haha, I thought I recognized that pork belly. :p
Also, Pardon, I didn't mean to imply that I was 100% expecting Brawl models to be imported (let alone expect that to happen at all). It's a possibility, for sure, but for now the way things are shaping is far more than enough. I could care less if we could import their models, really; I've always been rather fond of start-from-scratch or character model edits anyway, as they have more of the "fan" feel to them. Seems more appropriate.

Ahaha you took me to school about changing Mewtwo into Giegue. It sounds like you know exactly what to do in order to make him look perfect. Would Modeling be like/Or HOW Brawl modeling you'll have to texture the models and what-not? If so would he have Mewtwo's color and such?
I do believe Ganon is the tallest Character in the game so I suppose Ridley being a tad taller wouldn't be out of the concept. I'd love to see the photoshopped images you're speaking about. If they'd look like anything how BigSharkZ made the model/resizing Ridley on Charizard then that'd be sooo cool. As for making Sonic look less like his "Modern self" how would it (Please don't rage at me D: ) work if there were to be a Shadow model; Spikes, shoes, color, ect, ect?
As Milun noted, we have no clue whether Brawl model importing will/can happen. So for now, we'll likely have to edit existing character models... if that is the plan. Or, ifever we get so far, create our own models with certain limitations.

lol i did the same thing.. i think you have to save it so that it's exactly the same size, if not less...

i edited Doc's eye, and it didn't fit so i wanted to see what would happen if i cut a bit off to make it fit..

it just gave him a purple/pink mask
at least i got somewhere tho

how do you save it as a certain size as the TGA format? :<
Humm, don't tell me you actually edited the SIZE of the file, did you? As in, did you adjust the size of the image, or leave it be? o_O

One thing to note on Doc's eye: It is... a _9.tga texture, meaning you MUST INDEX IT (256 colors, I think all the eyes can handle). _9 and _8 are the palette textures of Melee. For those familiar with Brawl, you may be more familiar with these labels:
tex#00_09+1.tga
tex#00_09+2.tga
tex#00_08+1.tga
tex#00_08+2.tga

If you notice, they end in "_8" and "_9", very similarly to Brawl's own +1 and +2 textures...

Long story short, just Index them with the appropriate colors (if you're using my texture packs on Page 4, there should be supplied Placement guides on how big the colors can get, the ###MAX colors).

`DNS`

Smash Lord
Humm, don't tell me you actually edited the SIZE of the file, did you? As in, did you adjust the size of the image, or leave it be? o_O

One thing to note on Doc's eye: It is... a _9.tga texture, meaning you MUST INDEX IT (256 colors, I think all the eyes can handle). _9 and _8 are the palette textures of Melee. For those familiar with Brawl, you may be more familiar with these labels:
tex#00_09+1.tga
tex#00_09+2.tga
tex#00_08+1.tga
tex#00_08+2.tga

If you notice, they end in "_8" and "_9", very similarly to Brawl's own +1 and +2 textures...

Long story short, just Index them with the appropriate colors (if you're using my texture packs on Page 4, there should be supplied Placement guides on how big the colors can get, the ###MAX colors).
nah i didn't.
i got a _14 to work, but i don't really understand what to do with the _9
Photoshop won't save it properly half the time, it tries to compress it sometimes, and when i actually get the right size, texconv won't work.. says 'no palette' or something

my problem before was that i had the wrong # on the top of the hex editor.. the lines were off/too short, so i copied some of the header stuff
it went up to like 8 instead of f

EDIT: yeah i am using your texture stuff, thanks a lot for that :)

EDIT2: I indexed the image, and it converted it to a TPL for me, but when i put it in the DAT file and run it it looks like this:

I tried to just make the eyes black, and preserve the color of the skin around it.
halp :S

Steelia

Smash Champion
@`DNS`: Humm... Do you mind sharing your texture/.TGA files? I want to see what's going down, and make sure that it just might be some kind of hexing error.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
@`DNS`: Humm... Do you mind sharing your texture/.TGA files? I want to see what's going down, and make sure that it just might be some kind of hexing error.
I used the ones you uploaded.. the "DrNr" pack
what do you want exactly?

edit:
i re-extracted the TGA from the RAR and it still doesn't work

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
Great work guys. I remember a few weeks back you guys were working on touching up the Kirby64 with the SMRPG background, How is that going?

Im working to see if I could get the brawl bowser look... Or has it already been done?

Steelia

Smash Champion
so what are some other hacks you can do make anyone look like batman =)...?
What, you mean like this? :p

I used the ones you uploaded.. the "DrNr" pack
what do you want exactly?

edit:
i re-extracted the TGA from the RAR and it still doesn't work
I meant your edited TGA files... to see what may be the problem.

Great work guys. I remember a few weeks back you guys were working on touching up the Kirby64 with the SMRPG background, How is that going?

Im working to see if I could get the brawl bowser look... Or has it already been done?
Hah, my lazy self, haven't exactly gone to edit the SMRPG stage yet... ^_^;
But, on the other hand, I've already made a Brawl Bowser... Matter of fact, I've managed to make every available character into their Brawl counterparts. Now it's just a matter of turning those characters into the "Brawl exclusive" characters (like Fox into Wolf, and the like).

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
Hah, my lazy self, haven't exactly gone to edit the SMRPG stage yet... ^_^;
But, on the other hand, I've already made a Brawl Bowser... Matter of fact, I've managed to make every available character into their Brawl counterparts. Now it's just a matter of turning those characters into the "Brawl exclusive" characters (like Fox into Wolf, and the like).
OOoo, my friends are hyped up to play in the final version of the stage haha... As for the brawl bowser, im dyin to have it in my hands :)

Hey, do you know if its possible that bowser's flame can be changed to blue? It would be sooo sick!!

Milun

Smash Ace
EDIT2: I indexed the image, and it converted it to a TPL for me, but when i put it in the DAT file and run it it looks like this:
--------
I tried to just make the eyes black, and preserve the color of the skin around it.
halp :S
I know exactly your problem. It happened to me to. You need to add the Magenta colour in Photoshop, and manually edit the palette data into the hex.

zBOREDOMKINGz

Smash Apprentice
Matter of fact, I've managed to make every available character into their Brawl counterparts. Now it's just a matter of turning those characters into the "Brawl exclusive" characters (like Fox into Wolf, and the like).
Woah woah. Like using the Brawl look or are you going to be use that Wolf in the Movie intro?
Either way it'd be awesome due to me maining him when I played Brawl. =D

Top Bottom