• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

knihT Interviews; You (Update: 13:47-1-12-09)

Pi

Smash Hero
kniht, I'm in the process of filling this out now. I have a question though:

If I PM the response to you, then you will be the only one who observes my answers, right? Exposing my whole mental game when I play for other good players to see seems self-destructive. I support your cause though. I just want to help you haha.

Edit: Sorry if this pisses anyone off.....

Edit 2: Maybe I'm not saying anything that isn't totally obvious here..........I don't know. I can't decide what I should do lol.
that's correct, PM's are juss what their name implies
private messages :p
and yea I thought some people might be a bit put off about exposing everything to the public so if you want to PM me that's fine. maybe if you have a change of heart you can always post it up at some point but i leave that completely up to you. :)

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
F*ck it. If I lose because pros can come in here and read what I think about them in between match 1 and 2 of a set, then I don't deserve to win anyway.

Pre-Tournament

1. Since I’m usually at a smasher’s house the night before a tournament, then I can practice as much as I want to there. I don’t really start to think about “training” for a tournament until the Monday before it. Since I only play my one training partner, Seven, once a week on Thursdays, then I make sure to play more Falco that day and make sure my tech is on point. I also test out a few ideas I may have come up with about character specific situations and combos.

2. Sort of answered this already, but I just play more seriously than I usually do in order to practice my tournament mindset.

3. As stated above, I start getting ready(at least mentally) the Monday before a tournament comes.

4. I used to do this, but I don’t get much out of watching those players now since they would react differently to what I would do against them. I always think about this though, and I reassure myself when I never do it by saying “if I can’t adapt to _______ then I didn’t deserve to beat him anyway.”

5. Depends on the scale of a tournament. If it’s a local thing, then I’m more concerned about helping my state get better than on my own success. If it’s a big regional of national event, then I think about players that will give me trouble and calmly go over situations they will try to put me into mentally. This keeps me from getting nervous when I go into matches vs intimidating opponents now. If I’ve never been to a regional/national before, then I set a goal that would make me really happy. At RoM2 and at the HERBs/Tipped Off series I always strive for top5. After that I always am so much more confident in my abilities.

Pre-Match

1. I’m pretty laid-back on bans. I don’t like being CG’d, and I don’t like BF(when I don’t have the advantage). Oh, and I recently learned I hate Brinstar vs Puff lol. Oh and Falcon on KJ 64 is not fun sometimes so I ban that vs him lol. I guess that sounds like a lot, but I don’t have a stage that I just can’t play on at all. I really only need one ban for one player/character and I am usually well-rehearsed with my ban before I plug in.

2. This is the worst part of the match for me…..when everything is laid out and the only thing left to do is beat the hyped up/experienced player sitting beside you. I used to be able to think through some more strategies in the time it took for the loading screen to finish, but now I begin to separate myself from my anxiety, from the crowd, and from all other obstacles. I think about nothing but how I will start off the match and my eyes wait until they see the opponent so they can watch him.

Match 1

1. Depends on the proximity to my opponent what movement I take. This seems more character specific to me honestly, but the faster I can get momentum, the better. I tend to never rush things as I want to observe my opponent as much as possible, but I play in moods sometimes, so I could act on impulse and rush someone to see if they can handle the pressure.

2. I tend to always think about the Fox matchup as Falco if I’m not given other specifications. Probably because I play it the most. I look for jumping patterns and the variability of their shield game. There’s more to it but I’m not writing a matchup guide here. =p Edit: just looked at your question again. I treat every opponent like a character and not a player, so I look for character-specific habits. Hope that clarifies things.

3. I’ve been punished for my rolls so much that it rarely happens now haha. If I do get punished for them then I’ll try to avoid the situation next time, but it’s personally difficult to fix that particular situation without me finishing the set and stepping back to analyze what I did wrong.

4. I am feeling confident. I know that most players start to play gay around this point but my confidence is usually enough to keep me going through the rest of the match. As Falco is a largely momentum-based character, getting up in stock is a great feeling for me, and almost always ensures me the match. I never think I have the match in the bag when I get a stock or two ahead though. I get more confident in my abilities, but in my mind I always think “yes, that was good. Just a couple more times and you’re set.”

5. If I fall behind, chances are I’ve become too aggressive or played too obviously. I start to change my style up here, and it really depends on how I was playing initially because I tend to reverse it, at least a little. I study my opponent more intently now so I can see where they are trying to bait me into attacking or shielding so I can throw out my options with more certainty.

6. If I won, then I feel like I have the potential to win (there is always an “as long as I…..” part inserted here though. It is never as simple as me beating them. I must have their habits in my head at all times in order to avoid their traps). If I lost, then I need to figure out why I lost and remember their biggest tactic that hurt me. If I cannot think of anything, then I’ll tell myself I need to switch my game up more so I can keep my combos/pressure going better.

Match 2

`1. If I’m up I’m thinking “come on baby, only one more! Let’s go!” If I’m down, I try to focus as hard as possible because I know how uphill of a battle I have now. I just focus on some of their tricks mentally and stay open-minded about how much they have learned in the previous match.

3. 2. I rarely counterpick characters. I have thought about it for Puff, but I don’t know if I will do that just yet or not. I have put so much effort into Falco that I feel like I would stand a better chance with him on a bad matchup/stage for Falco than if I switched to any of my secondaries.

4. 3. I think about the ways I killed my opponent last match(a lot of Fsmashes, Dtilts, Uairs/Bairs, etc), or the ways I would want to kill him. This includes Dair kills(spikes) or off the top kills for floaties or just regular horizontal kills on any character. I also base some of it on style. If I am being camped on one stage and I can’t read when I would be hit/baited, then I’ll try a smaller stage to see if I can trap him more. If the person is all over my face then I would like some breathing room. If my opponent combos better than me with platforms then I want a stage without them, and vice versa.

5. 4. I’m thinking that the person who lost is going to struggle hard to stay in the game, so I have to make sure it doesn’t happen if I’m winning. If I’m losing, then I know they will be trying to keep me down, but I can sense overconfidence sometimes, and I know I will get more openings then.

6. 5. If I’m down in my second match, chances are that I’m being outplayed. Regardless of this knowledge, I don’t let it get to me anymore and play my hardest because I know there is always a chance of a comeback. If I’m up, then I play like it’s the first match and I’m up. I just have to prevent a gay strategy comeback. I begin to observe changes in their playstyle and attempt to counter them as quickly as possible.

Match 3(if)

1. This match is what it all comes down to. Maybe I didn’t know of a mystery counterpick that ***** me. Maybe I took the first match to learn someone so I could **** them the other two matches. Maybe the stage was all the difference between myself and my opponent who adapted constantly to each other. The third match is incredibly tense, and almost always comes down to the last stock. I tend to play as I have been until the last stock, but then the pressure sets in(finally). I used to sweat a lot, but now the blood drains from my hands so I lose feeling in them. The faster I can end match 3 the better. Match 3, in an intense set like me vs Lucky, devolves into who can get that crucial hit that clinches the game? This causes me to no longer play for combos, reads, or analyzation. I play very reactively. My reactions are heightened due to my fear, but if I get jumpy at the wrong moment then I have cost myself the set. Experience and better play early on is the only way to avoid this sort of phenomenon I imagine.

Post-Set

1. If I won, then I usually john for my opponent(I like having legit wins, but they seem so rare these days….) or talk to them about the set if it was close. If I won and figured I would win(vs a lower level player), then I’m generally more chill about it and am more likely to help out the player who lost. I generally point out a tactic they kept getting ***** for. If I lost a close set, then I usually feel terrible about it, and I always have that feeling that I need to work on switching my game up so I don’t get punished so hard. If I lost badly, then I sometimes feel bad about it, but usually I am in shock. I never expected a player to surprise me as much as that one did or something. If the matches were recorded, then I usually want to watch them right away, which is a frustrating feeling.

Misc

1. I’m always Falco. =p

2. My techniques involve around manipulation of the basics I think, so I kind of work on both simultaneously, if that makes sense.

3. I’m honestly not sure anymore. If I’m playing vs a good opponent, I tend to play the same in tournament and friendlies(3rd match excluded). I don’t usually try to steamroll lower level players, but I have a bad habit of forgetting to sandbag hard occasionally.

4. Effective edgeguarding is probably the biggest thing. That, and fancy ways to follow up tech chases. I find that solid, clear-headed play leads to the most satisfying/impressive combos.

5. I suppose it would be reading people, but I’m not sure. It’s definitely not tech skill lol. XD I tend to watch how people react to lasers, so I guess that’s why I would say that.

6. I’ve had sooooo many. I was/am a huge Shiz fanboy so I will give that award to him haha.

7. It’s a really dumb story. =p

Career

1. How long have you been with the series? (since ssb64, started with melee, dropped brawl for melee)

I started playing competitively with Melee, but I had 64 and played Melee casually up until I learned about advanced techniques, etc.

2. How did you discover competitive melee? (local tournament, met some pro's, etc. etc.)

I actually got suuuuper lucky here. One day, I was realllly bored and playing against computers. I was seriously asking myself "how can anyone beat my Mario? I feel like there's a way to play this game beyond what I'm doing, but I can't figure out what it is." So I got onto Youtube for one of the first times in my life and searched for "professional super smash brothers melee players." I saw Captain Jack vs...someone from 2004. It had some type of music in the background which fully freaked me out in addition to the **** going on. In the related videos section I saw "ssbm hardcore match." Bombsoldier vs Jing from 06. That match captivated me and gave me my initial inspiration in Melee. Fortunately, the related videos here were Wak's advanced how to play videos(which included the link to smashbards). It went off from there. =)

3. How long have you been attending tournaments?

My first tournament I went to(but didn't enter) was labor day weekend, 07. My first NC tournament was October 28th, 2007. Soooo, technically a year and 2+ months.

4. What keeps you stuck on this game? (community, the depth, the ever evolving metagame, etc. etc.)

I'm a competitively motivated person. As long as I have goals, then I'll stay hooked. When I'm not at a tournament or practicing, then the awesome community is what keeps me around. Smashers are too legit. <3

Pi

Smash Hero
that's the spirit!
thanks pp!! ^^
[edit]
woot, read it, thanks for participating man
(also, that 70's show, was that the actual reason? lol)
gah, i'm so much more interested now to see how different character mains answer these questions!
KAGE! AXE! HUGS! COME ON GUYS!! lol

HugS™

Smash Lord
Pre- Tournament

1. To warm up before I tournament I usually go to a smashfest with friends to practice here in Socal. Rarely do I play on my own.

2. I don't really have routine. I just try to play as many good players as possible before a tournament.

3. See #1

4. I rarely study an opponent's videos for 2 reasons:
- I feel it's a waste of time if I may not even encounter the player
- I play so differently from what the player is facing in the video, that what I get from studying him would be almost non applicable.

If i do study a video, it will be from someone I feel has a solid chance of winning the tournament. Since my goal is to get 1st, chances are I will face him in the bracket.

5. My goals vary depending on the tournament. For example, at a local that mango isn't going to, I shoot for 1st. At a regional, I shoot for 2nd always. At a national I shoot for top 7. Those expectations should go up as I improve.
I'll edit this later.

Pi

Smash Hero
awesome.
thanks bro :)
*really eager to see your mindset coming into individual matches*

[edit]Added Misc. Question #8
What is your personal favorite technique to use in a match?(technical or psychological, either one :p)

Minnty

Smash Cadet
Pre-tournament

What do you do to warm up for the tournament?(practice tech skill, train with your friends, practice your secondaries)
Practice with my friends, try to figure out which matchups to go with.

Anything different from normal routine?
I like to sleep a lot, and feel really clean.
I try to make myself feel as calm as possible, with sleeping and ambient music.

If so, how early do you start training?(smashfest before, day before, week before)
Start training? I never stop.

Do you view matches of opponents that will be at the tournament?(study them?)
Nah.

What's your mindset going to the tournament?(I'm going to win/I hope I place well/I hope I don't have to fight xxxxx)
I hope I place well. I hope I make good choices on counterpicks.

Pre-match
The TO announces you have a match on TV 3 with a smasher you have never heard of, what's your game plan? What do you assume about the player, if anything?(Are you thinking about what character you will use, sizing your opponent up, underestimating him, overestimating him?)
Ummmm, I don't usually make a judgement about someone before playing. I try to ask them who their main is, just so I know who to go.

What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but are fairly confident of beating?(what are some specific thoughts to describe your mental state; "K I'm going to win this one, wonder who I have next" "I usually beat this guy in friendlies, I should win" etc. etc.)
I'm always nervous, no matter how many times I've beaten them. But it's a healthy amount of nervous, just enough to get me playing at my best.

What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but have classified him as better than you?("****, gonna lose this one." "I still have a chance, always have a chance" etc. etc.)
I don't usually talk myself down, I just try my best.

Pre-match 1
You both plug into the cube, pick your characters, and move to the stage selection screen to pick your bans, how do you decide what to ban?("well if he's falco, I'll ban FD", "I really hate BF so I always ban it", etc. etc.)
I always ban battlefield, but with stage-strike coming into play, I'll have to rethink.

Is your mindset still the same? Are you nervous? Where is your head at when you press start and it selects a stage?
Still nervous, but focused.

Match 1
Game starts, announcer says GO, what position do you take?(offensive, defensive, if you have projectiles do you get them out there, be general if you want cause I know it might depend on the characters you're playing, are you trying to be fancy or playing conservative?)
Usually rather defensive. I noticed that I usually go for grabs right at the beginning of a match.

What are you looking for, if anything, in your opponents playstyle?(is he rolling predictably, teching predictably, is he playing really offensive, shielding too much?)
I watch for rolling habits, and recovery habits, but not much else.

Are you looking for how your opponent is punishing you?(is he predicting your rolls, your spotdodges, your techs? Do you change up your playstyle to keep the lead, or do you get more aggressive, do you go for more fancy ****?)
Not unless I'm getting punished often.

You are ahead, got a stock or two up, how are you feeling?(confident, staying humble, trying to keep focus)
Trying to keep focus, I tend to lose my edge a little when I'm ahead.

You fall behind, not too far, but you're behind, do you change your style?(start playing more defensive/offensive, stop going for fancy edgeguards or cut out some new techniques you have been trying?)
Usually more defensive, waiting for the gimping opportunity.

Games over, based on what happened (win or lose), what are you thinking about?("yes! I won, I got this, he's not very good", "crap, I lost, I don't think I can beat him" and everything in between.)
"Phew. Do it again."

Match 2
Based on how the last match went, what are you thinking about going into match 2? ("I noticed he was rolling/reading my rolls so let me adjust for that", "I need to gimp/not get gimped this time", "Hope I get lucky/hope he gets unlucky", etc. etc, anything that's going through your head)
I just think, "What do I need to change to do better?"

Do you change characters?(specific situations, or do you always change characters? do you pick characters to counter playstyles?)
I change characters based on their character usually.

If you are in the position to counterpick, what do you base it off of? ("I noticed he was playing like this, I thought this stage would counter that", "I'm really comfortable on this stage, so I chose it")
Their character, and mine.

Match 2 starts, depending on how the last match went how are you playing?("I won last time so I'm kinda ******* around this time", "I loss last time so I'm playing a lot more careful this time", "I already know I'm gonna win/lose so I'm not really focused")
I try to play better, whether I won or lost.

Depending on how the match is going, you're winning/losing, how's your mindset?("When I'm losing I kinda give up since I'm already a match behind.", "If I'm winning I get excited and lose focus")
I lose focus when I'm winning. I get nervous when I'm losing. Pretty standard.

Match 3(if)
Last match, you've played your preferred characters, your preferred stage, how are you feeling?("I'm pretty confident I can win, I'll focus to be sure", "I got lucky 1 match, don't think I can win now", "I've figured out his playstyle and he doesn't seem to be switching it up, I got this", "Juss happy to have taken a game off him")
Nervous, trying to focus. Usually confident though. If I won before, I can do it again.

Post-set
Depending on if you won or loss, what are you feeling?(did you surprise yourself? did your opponent surprise you? are you happy/mad? reviewing your mistakes?)
Awesome if I won, and still pretty good if I lost (assuming it was someone decent). If I lose to someone I shouldn't have, I'm mostly disappointed, never mad.

Misc. Questions

What character(s) do you use in tournament matches, and when (fox when I'm serious, falcon when I'm not)?
Fox if I can waveshine, marth if I can't.

Are you constantly adapting new techniques, or just trying to perfect the basics?
At this point, adapting.

Does your playstyle vary from friendlies to tournament? Do you play 'better' in one versus the other?
I play much better in tourney.

What are some things you think a lot of people overlook, when it comes to winning?
Mood, among many other outside influences (including hunger, drunkeness, other people, past matches), has a huge effect on people. That's why I like sleeping and music, it takes those out of the equation and makes everything a little simpler.

What would you say the main aspect of your playstyle is? Tech skill/mindgames/reading?
This is a hard question for me. I'm gonna say combos, I love my combos :)

Who was/is the most influential smasher to you?
M2K, I just want him to be the best again. :p

Whats up with your name, why did you choose it?
Uhhhh, even I can't really answer this, lol. I had a lot of mints at one time.

What is your personal favorite technique to use in a match?(technical or psychological, either one :p)
Gimps :p

Pi

Smash Hero
Thanks minnty :)
is minnty the smash name you go by? or do you have another?

Juss had a smash session, I really need to pay more attention to what's going on
i think i get too stubborn when something doesn't work
maybe it's old habits
idk
need to break this!

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I feel more like I'm giving advice than answering interview questions but, whatever. Here goes:

Pre-tournament

1. What do you do to warm up for the tournament?(practice tech skill, train with your friends, practice your secondaries)
- Tech skill practice is definitely a good thing to do before tournaments and before matches, with people or alone. You might only need a couple minutes depending on how often you play but, it should definitely be touched upon before tournaments if you don't feel consistent.

2. Anything different from normal routine?
- Nothing in particular.

3. If so, how early do you start training?(smashfest before, day before, week before)
- N/A

4. Do you view matches of opponents that will be at the tournament?(study them?)
- I, personally, have never really watched videos all that much except good matches from popular tournaments because they're spammed. I don't study video all that much. Watching other players is always good, but you can't really get a feel for anyone's tendencies (unless they're super obvious) by watching videos over actually playing them. It shouldn't be your only way of studying or practicing. I find Videos are most useful as a way to see how to do things right, how to do things wrong, and combos, so that you know what to do, what not to do, and ideas for what you might be able to do.

IMPORTANT TOPIC
5. What's your mindset going to the tournament?(I'm going to win/I hope I place well/I hope I don't have to fight xxxxx)
Don't expect, accept.

What many people do is create mental expectations of their skill level and the skill level of those they face and when someone doesn't hone up to those expectations when you go to play someone, you get disappointed. Sometimes these expectations are so strong that your mind will reject anything else and will insist on the expectations. This, in turn, makes you desperate to get yourself back up to your expectations, which is counter-productive in doing so because you become incredibly pessimistic and self-destructive (i.e. putting yourself down, etc.).

What you need to do is just let go. Accept your current skill level, accept your mistakes, accept your wins and losses.

If someone beats you, they beat you for a reason, it doesn't matter how you feel about them, or how good they actually are. If you lost then you lost. The only thing you can do is take note of what you did wrong and take note of what he did right and make sure to fix the reason you're losing for each respective case (i.e. stop doing what you did wrong and try to stop him from doing what he's doing right).

Alternatively, if you win, that means you were doing something right and they were doing something wrong, regardless of how you feel about them or their actual skill level. If you won then accept it positively, and gracefully.

Never feel that you didn't deserve to win. Anyone who wins always deserves the win, and putting yourself down when you lose doesn't make your opponent feel any better, either. They played the game too, and were just as susceptible to mistakes as you were. You shouldn't belittle their efforts by blaming yourself for their win. There are 2 people playing the game, not 1 person and 1 computer. No one is going to be perfect, so when someone wins, everyone should be happy that he was able to do things right and get the win.

Some might concern themselves about my prior statement and ask "what if character X is really good, how do they deserve to win then? The character is doing all the work!". Everyone is just playing the game, it's not the player's fault that the game has a character that good. If a character is really good, then for the sake of winning, it would be wise of the player to choose and learn that character. When playing to win, the battle isn't just after you pick your character, it's before as well. That's not to say that everyone should always be playing to win, as that would be counter-productive to getting better in general, but when playing to win, it's always best to do whatever you can within the game to increase your chances of winning.

I say this assuming you love the game already and want to play it competitively.

I'll stop myself here because, the rest of what I could say would discuss competitive gaming philosophy, game balancing, and character power levels, and I'm sure I've said enough here.

Pre-match

1. The TO announces you have a match on TV 3 with a smasher you have never heard of, what's your game plan? What do you assume about the player, if anything?(Are you thinking about what character you will use, sizing your opponent up, underestimating him, overestimating him?)
- ALWAYS pick a character you're most comfortable first, and if you have a secondary that you think might counter them, second. Unless you play low tier, then you better be incredibly skilled, because it's almost impossible to win with anything below the top 8 in this metagame.
- When facing a No-Name kind of person, it's always best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Imagine they're the best player you can think of and do your best. If it turns out that they're not all that good then you have the advantage. If they're somewhat decent, then you've properly prepared yourself, and won't be caught off-guard.
- NEVER get too overconvident or too underconfident. Overconfidence will give them more opportunities to come back, and underconfidence will destroy your resolve, and they'll just plow through you. Just do your best and accept whatever outcome happens. If you're winning, keep doing whatever you're doing to win, and adapt if they catch on. If you're losing, try to figure out what they're doing to win and try to counter it. Try to change whatever you're doing that's making you lose. Easier said than done, but it's what top players have to do. You just have to keep practicing by getting tourney experience.

2. What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but are fairly confident of beating?(what are some specific thoughts to describe your mental state; "K I'm going to win this one, wonder who I have next" "I usually beat this guy in friendlies, I should win" etc. etc.)
- Solidify your resolve. Be relentless. Give them no mercy. Don't get overconfident. Just because you've beaten them before doesn't mean you should relax. Whenever in tournament, always seek out to destroy your opponent. There's always a chance that they could have gotten better between tournaments.
- Unless the skill gap between you and this opponent is large enough, you should never let up.

3. What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but have classified him as better than you?("****, gonna lose this one." "I still have a chance, always have a chance" etc. etc.)
- Don't get too hung up on who you're facing. If you're facing a well-known good player, just do your best. If you're not good enough and lose, then it's the same as before. It's not a big deal. They're a really good player and deserve the win over you. You just have to get better. If it turns out that you can give him some trouble then always strive to beat him as hard as possible and never let your guard down. You just might come out with the win.

Pre-match 1

1. You both plug into the cube, pick your characters, and move to the stage selection screen to pick your bans, how do you decide what to ban?("well if he's falco, I'll ban FD", "I really hate BF so I always ban it", etc. etc.)
- If you know something about the player, use it to your advantage and ban whatever stage you think is appropriate. Otherwise, just ban a stage you either don't like, or a stage that you know your character has a big disadvantage on (which can sometimes overlap).

2. Is your mindset still the same? Are you nervous? Where is your head at when you press start and it selects a stage?
- Yes. No. In the game. Your mindset is one of the most important part of playing competitive games. If you can keep the proper mindset, you'll get better and start winning.

Match 1

1.-6.

I can't really explain this. Everything is situation and character specific. You know it if you know, you don't if you don't. You just need tourney experience. Don't get hit. Hit as hard as you can. Solidify your mindset and resolve. Some of this was explained earlier.

Match 2

1.-5.

- My mindset is constant. Just take note of what happened last match and fix it for the next.
- Counter-pick a stage you're comfortable with, or one that you know your character has an advantage (which can sometimes overlap).
- I can't really explain the rest. See Match 1 explanation.

Match 3(if)

1. Last match, you've played your preferred characters, your preferred stage, how are you feeling?("I'm pretty confident I can win, I'll focus to be sure", "I got lucky 1 match, don't think I can win now", "I've figured out his playstyle and he doesn't seem to be switching it up, I got this", "Juss happy to have taken a game off him")
- My mindset is constant. Just take note of what happened last match and fix it for the next.
- If it's your counter-pick, see Match 2 explanation. If it's their counterpick, try to pick a character that you're comfortable with that is good on that stage or a character you're comfortable with on that stage.

Post-set

1. Depending on if you won or loss, what are you feeling?(did you surprise yourself? did your opponent surprise you? are you happy/mad? reviewing your mistakes?)
- Never dwell on mistakes. Just accept the result of the match. If you lost, take note of what you did right and wrong, and fix it for the next game. If you won, remember what you were doing to win.

Misc. Questions

1. What character(s) do you use in tournament matches, and when (fox when I'm serious, falcon when I'm not)?
- Mostly Marth almost all the time. Sometimes Sheik.

2. Are you constantly adapting new techniques, are juss trying to perfect the basics?
- Both. Anything that's practical.

3. Does your playstyle vary from friendlies to tournament? Do you play 'better' in one versus the other?
- Not sure. I wouldn't know. I've gotten so used to tournaments that it all feels pretty similar. I just tend to concentrate more the farther I get in a tournament.

4. What are some things you think a lot of people overlook, when it comes to winning?
- Having the proper mindset is the most overlooked, aspect of competitive gaming. If you have the right mindset, everything else just comes together.

5. What would you say the main aspect of your playstyle is? Tech skill/mindgames/reading?
- I can't really tell what my playstyle is. I just know I have some habits I need to get into and out of.

6. Who was/is the most influential smasher to you?
- KirbyKaze, Unknown522, RaynEX. They've taught me so much about fighting games in general and I appreciate and treasure their advice and friendship.

7. Whats up with your name, why did you choose it?
- They're my initials. W.orld J.E.M.
- I just like the number 7.
- If you see a game tag that says "WJEM" or "Wジェム" then that's me.

8. What is your personal favorite technique to use in a match?(technical or psychological, either one :p)
- Tech skill is fun and can be useful but is very easily flashy, and impractical. I prefer knowing what my opponent will do and then punishing them for thinking they could get away with it.

Pi

Smash Hero
thanks wjem
and yea that was one of the reasons i made this thread, to try and get some advice, indirectly of course :p
most of what you have said is the mindset that i TRY and maintain, but i slip in and out of it and really have my off days where my head is juss not in the right place

thanks a lot for answering my questions, and giving advice ;p
i have a friend who i think i need to link to your response in green >.>
any way, thanks again, really quite helpful :)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Pre-tournament

1. What do you do to warm up for the tournament?(practice tech skill, train with your friends, practice your secondaries)
Usually we smash the night before
I like to get a good night sleep. I play bad when I'm uncomfortable or tired, so instead of johning i try to not let it happen.
3. If so, how early do you start training?(smashfest before, day before, week before)
smash as often as possible during the week preceding the tournament
4. Do you view matches of opponents that will be at the tournament?(study them?)
Most of the people I play in tournament don't have youtube videos, so no.
At the tournament itself, if i have the chance to watch the person i'm playing next, i take it. Especially if its a close match, you might see them break out tricks that only work once (and save yourself from falling for it in your match)

5. What's your mindset going to the tournament?(I'm going to win/I hope I place well/I hope I don't have to fight xxxxx)
I go in strong for doubles and try to carry my momentum into singles.

Pre-match

1. The TO announces you have a match on TV 3 with a smasher you have never heard of, what's your game plan? What do you assume about the player, if anything?(Are you thinking about what character you will use, sizing your opponent up, underestimating him, overestimating him?)
I habitually underestimate people i haven't heard of. At a tournament a few weeks ago, i played a doc who entered by his first name "devin" and i totally underestimated him. He played very well and took the first game off me.
2. What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but are fairly confident of beating?(what are some specific thoughts to describe your mental state; "K I'm going to win this one, wonder who I have next" "I usually beat this guy in friendlies, I should win" etc. etc.)
If i have played them before I try to spend a minute recalling their specific style. I like to think about where their comfort zones, amount of patience, how easily they get afraid and their tech patterns.
3. What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but have classified him as better than you?("****, gonna lose this one." "I still have a chance, always have a chance" etc. etc.)
When i get matched against someone i think is better than me, i naturally get in the zone. Instantly i just think "Ok if i'm gonna win this, i gotta give it 200%" and i do that. I give it my best and sometimes i beat players that are better than me.

Pre-match 1

1. You both plug into the cube, pick your characters, and move to the stage selection screen to pick your bans, how do you decide what to ban?("well if he's falco, I'll ban FD", "I really hate BF so I always ban it", etc. etc.)
I main marth, so I'm almost always banning dreamland.
2. Is your mindset still the same? Are you nervous? Where is your head at when you press start and it selects a stage?
I like to get in a calm focus, though i get more nervous as the match goes on. If people are watching or commentating I get nervous really easily and tend to lose (anyone who has seen my play a crew battle knows this XD)

Match 1

1. Game starts, announcer says GO, what position do you take?(offensive, defensive, if you have projectiles do you get them out there, be general if you want cause I know it might depend on the characters you're playing, are you trying to be fancy or playing conservititve?)
I start swinging my sword. The first action tends to be the most overlooked, but i consider it the most important. You can get an incredible lead if you simply watch the opponent's first action and remember it each game. For example, first game you get battlefield and your opponent's first move is to run off the platform and start DD camping. next game you go to yoshis, he might do the same thing. You can try to catch him coming down from that platform and start something off early to destroy his morale
2. What are you looking for, if anything, in your opponents playstyle?(is he rolling predictably, teching predictably, is he playing really offensive, shielding too much?)
I think about how offensive and defensive they are. How they are avoiding my attacks, are they shielding or WDing out of range? When they approach, do they grab or attack?
3. Are you looking for how your opponent is punishing you?(is he predicting your rolls, your spotdodges, your techs? Do you change up your playstyle to keep the lead, or do you get more aggressive, do you go for more fancy ****?)
I like to throw red herring habits to see if they get them. Sometimes i approach with a shield->roll behind them. if it works i do it until they beat it. stuff like that
4. You are ahead, got a stock or two up, how are you feeling?(confident, staying humble, trying to keep focus)
I try to keep focused, but i'm generally confident and take the aggressive stance.
5. You fall behind, not too far, but you're behind, do you change your style?(start playing more defensive/offensive, stop going for fancy edgeguards or cut out some new techniques you have been trying?)
I look at the precents and devise a plan to catch me up. Mostly depends on character, like if its a fox or falco, i look for a grab and then force them off the stage as soon as possible. If its sheik I hope she ****s up XD
6. Games over, based on what happen (win or lose), what are you thinking about?("yes! I won, I got this, he's not very good", "crap, I loss, I don't think I can beat him" and everything in between.)
I try to keep the same mindset as in the game. It gives me a few seconds to think about what they did good and what they did bad and formulate strategies a few steps ahead of time.

Match 2

1. Based on how the last match went, what are you thinking about going into match 2? ("I noticed he was rolling/reading my rolls so let me adjust for that", "I need to gimp/not get gimped this time", "Hope I get lucky/hope he gets unlucky", etc. etc, anything that's going through your head)
I keep thinking about their habits and what the next iteration of their pattern will be.
2. Do you change characters?(specific situations, or do you always change characters? do you pick characters to counter playstyles?)
I only change characters if i'm taken to a really gay stage or if the other person used sheik against me...
3. If you are in the position to counterpick, what do you base it off of? ("I noticed he was playing like this, I thought this stage would counter that", "I'm really comfortable on this stage, so I chose it")
I try to shut down their biggest advantage(s). If they were great on the edge, I go to a larger stage. If I can't take out their advantage, I go for a stage that gives me a big advantage.
4. Match 2 starts, depending on how the last match went how are you playing?("I won last time so I'm kinda ******* around this time", "I loss last time so I'm playing a lot more careful this time", "I already know I'm gonna win/lose so I'm not really focused")
If its a tournament/serious match I keep focusing no matter how far ahead i am. I've lost games and sets before because i got a lead and got lazy.
5. Depending on how the match is going, you're winning/losing, how's your mindset?("When I'm losing I kinda give up since I'm already a match behind.", "If I'm winning I get excited and lose focus")
If i'm winning i focus on not letting them come back, and if i'm losing i focus on playing as safe and as smart as i can.

Match 3(if)

1. Last match, you've played your preferred characters, your preferred stage, how are you feeling?("I'm pretty confident I can win, I'll focus to be sure", "I got lucky 1 match, don't think I can win now", "I've figured out his playstyle and he doesn't seem to be switching it up, I got this", "Juss happy to have taken a game off him")
KAIOKEN.... TIMES 2!!!

Post-set

1. Depending on if you won or loss, what are you feeling?(did you surprise yourself? did your opponent surprise you? are you happy/mad? reviewing your mistakes?)
Usually I feel exhausted after a match. I always try to review my mistakes and habits that were punished in case it comes up next match (if i have another one XD)

Misc. Questions

1. What character(s) do you use in tournament matches, and when (fox when I'm serious, falcon when I'm not)?
Marth when i'm serious, fox on floats/cruise
2. Are you constantly adapting new techniques, are juss trying to perfect the basics?
Both, mostly my movement and overall safe playing.
3. Does your playstyle vary from friendlies to tournament? Do you play 'better' in one versus the other?
I play better tournament, but i play better than most people do in friendlies, so overall i look better in friendlies.
4. What are some things you think a lot of people overlook, when it comes to winning?
Taking the safe options. When edge guarding, I see a lot of people mess up by trying something more flashy (jumping off and hitting them) when standing on the stage and fsmashing would have worked with basically no risk.
5. What would you say the main aspect of your playstyle is? Tech skill/mindgames/reading?
Mine is nearly flawless edge guarding/combos with some prediction and tricky aspects.
There are so many! Eddie, Vro, Kels, Tink, Bzoo, Lo0shKiN, Zec, and anyone who went to the vro zones. You have all taught me a lot about this game, I can't single any one of you out.
Was originally a character in a book I was writing my freshman year in HS, but never finished.
8. What is your personal favorite technique to use in a match?(technical or psychological, either one :p)
Pivot tipper fsmash to tech chase :)

Pi

Smash Hero
woot! thanks sveet
dude i wish i could pull some dbz **** in matches lol

and i never really gave much thought to using pivot fsmashes to space for your tech chase ;o
**** if you mess it up though, look like a fool dash attackin in the wrong direction, think i'll put some time in practicing my pivots again, i overlook them, even though my dash isn't as long as marth gettin that extra inch can really help some times.

and yea, that was one of the responses i was looking for when i wrote misc. question #4, was going for fancy edge guards when safer ones would yield success.

thanks for takin the time to answer my questions sveet ;p

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
np thanks for taking the time to write this up. other than a few repetitive questions, it was good to reflect on this topic.

Pi

Smash Hero
np thanks for taking the time to write this up. other than a few repetitive questions, it was good to reflect on this topic.
Thanks :), yea some of the questions are repetitive, if i keep getting people who don't have a change in attitude between matches..o I juss thought, maybe I should put a question regarding losers/winners bracket, maybe juss a simple one like does your mentality change at all when you are in losers vs. winners, or grand finals even, although i suspect a lot of the answers will be along the lines of 'there is a bit more pressure, maybe a lil more nervous, but still trying to maintain focus'.

Also! A new interviewee; Unknown522 ^^

(quoted from PM, permission to post here granted :p)
unknown522 said:
Sorry if my wording is confusing. I put some time into it:

Pre-tournament

Practice with friends and try to play as much as possible at the tourney before it starts. I try to figure out my limit of tech skill for that day, so that I have a general idea of what I will / won't mess up. I try not to play vs CPUs within the week of the tourney. Usually I practice my main and falco.

I try not to play against CPUs.

I practice at least once a week with people. PVP experience is important to me.

No. I think I should though.

Don't let camping / defensive play get to me.

Pre-match

I try to think of my opponent as an equal level to me. I feel that I won't get surprised if they are very good, though I have never heard of them. I always try my main first.

I tell myself that anything can happen. Just stay sharp and I'll be fine.

I always feel confident that I can win. Even if the player is better than me.

Pre-match 1

I ban based on character usually. If I can't get CG'd by the opponent on FD, then I will ban DL64.

I'm usually nonchalant. I feel confident when I start a match and wish good luck to the opponent.

Match 1

1. Game starts, announcer says GO, what position do you take?(offensive, defensive, if you have projectiles do you get them out there, be general if you want cause I know it might depend on the characters you're playing, are you trying to be fancy or playing conservititve?)

I'm usually offensive in the very beginning. If I start losing because I am being camped, then I will camp them back. I never try to play fancy in tourney, unless the opponent is noticeably bad. Comebacks can always happen.

2. What are you looking for, if anything, in your opponents playstyle?(is he rolling predictably, teching predictably, is he playing really offensive, shielding too much?)

I always try to find a counter to their play style.

3. Are you looking for how your opponent is punishing you?(is he predicting your rolls, your spotdodges, your techs? Do you change up your playstyle to keep the lead, or do you get more aggressive, do you go for more fancy ****?)

I make changes when I have to, or if the opponent starts catching on to what I'm doing.

4. You are ahead, got a stock or two up, how are you feeling?(confident, staying humble, trying to keep focus)

Trying to keep focus. Comebacks are always possible, so I never want to get cocky.

5. You fall behind, not too far, but you're behind, do you change your style?(start playing more defensive/offensive, stop going for fancy edgeguards or cut out some new techniques you have been trying?)

I usually stay on the offense, unless I'm losing because I'm being camped. I out-camp them.

6. Games over, based on what happen (win or lose), what are you thinking about?("yes! I won, I got this, he's not very good", "crap, I loss, I don't think I can beat him" and everything in between.)

I stay cool because it's not over yet.

Match 2

1. Based on how the last match went, what are you thinking about going into match 2? ("I noticed he was rolling/reading my rolls so let me adjust for that", "I need to gimp/not get gimped this time", "Hope I get lucky/hope he gets unlucky", etc. etc, anything that's going through your head)

Basically everything other than the luck part. I also don't rely on gimps, but I try to avoid going to the edge so that I don't get gimped.

2. Do you change characters?(specific situations, or do you always change characters? do you pick characters to counter playstyles?)

If they CP FD, then I will go falco. He's too good on that level.

3. If you are in the position to counterpick, what do you base it off of? ("I noticed he was playing like this, I thought this stage would counter that", "I'm really comfortable on this stage, so I chose it")

If I feel like I should've won, then I will go back to where I lost. Otherwise I will pick FoD or PS.

4. Match 2 starts, depending on how the last match went how are you playing?("I won last time so I'm kinda ******* around this time", "I loss last time so I'm playing a lot more careful this time", "I already know I'm gonna win/lose so I'm not really focused")

I try to be careful at all times.

5. Depending on how the match is going, you're winning/losing, how's your mindset?("When I'm losing I kinda give up since I'm already a match behind.", "If I'm winning I get excited and lose focus")

I will give up if it's mute city and I get gimped a bunch of times. Brinstar too. Otherwise I won't give up.

Match 3(if)

Stay calm and I can win.

Post-set

I review my mistakes always and try to stay calm. I got pissed at my loss to Vanz because I feel I got cheated out of the win.

Misc. Questions

exactly.

Trying to perfect the basics.

I feel like I have my moments in both.

Camping isn't everything. You have to learn how to fight at some point otherwise you won't get anywhere.

Tech Skill. Not the flashy crap. If I am failing tech skill, then I try to space well against my opponents.

PC Chris.

Basically, my e-mail address is matrix_lx522@hotmail.com. My Counter-Strike name is Unknown, so I combined the two. I want to change my name to Ford (my last name, since it fits in the name box).

When the opponent is laying on the ground, I like to do a quick crouch for a second, then stop to see if they will move.

~*REMINDER*~ put the name you're most well known by!
Unknown522

Also! If you have any questions you would like to ask to the smash community feel free to make it noticeable at the bottom of your post

[EDIT] MAKE REQUESTS
request someone you wanna see take this interview and I'll put em on blast up here on the OP!!

RaynEX
Thanks again unknown :p

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Little background if you want it:

Started in August 2005 when I was 13.
Went to my first tournament a week after I learned what advanced techs were.
I live in Massachusetts, so I've played with all the greats that have come from here (KDJ, Eve, KrazyJones, Hayato, Jblaze, etc).
"The youngest old-school smasher" - Irish Mafia :laugh::laugh:

Your Smash Career

How long have you been with the series? (since ssb64, started with melee, dropped brawl for melee)

About a year after SSB64 came out.

How did you discover competitive melee? (local tournament, met some pro's, etc. etc.)

Googling "Super smash bros melle tournament" yes, I used to spell melee with two l's.

How long have you been attending tournaments?

August '05

What keeps you stuck on this game? (community, the depth, the ever evolving metagame, etc. etc.)

The community and the fact this game is incredibly fun to play​

Pre-tournament
What do you do to warm up for the tournament?(practice tech skill, train with your friends, practice your secondaries)

Usually the day before, or a few days before (in the case of ROM2 I played 5 times in the week leading up to it). Though for the local tournaments like Mass Madness I don't really put much practice in.

Anything different from normal routine?

Before larger tournaments, or if there is somebody I want to beat at a smaller one, definitely. I focus more on the things I want to implement into my game.

If so, how early do you start training?(smashfest before, day before, week before)

Like I answered in the first question "Usually the day before, or a few days before (in the case of ROM2 I played 5 times in the week leading up to it). Though for the local tournaments like Mass Madness I don't really put much practice in."

Do you view matches of opponents that will be at the tournament?(study them?)

I have before but it didn't benefit me.

What's your mindset going to the tournament?(I'm going to win/I hope I place well/I hope I don't have to fight xxxxx)

I go into the tournament saying "I'm going to place above #th"

Pre-match
The TO announces you have a match on TV 3 with a smasher you have never heard of, what's your game plan? What do you assume about the player, if anything?(Are you thinking about what character you will use, sizing your opponent up, underestimating him, overestimating him?)

I go in guns blazing. (falco lol)
I always assume somebody I have never heard of is better than me and do my best against them. If I discover they aren't that good then I do relax a bit.

What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but are fairly confident of beating?(what are some specific thoughts to describe your mental state; "K I'm going to win this one, wonder who I have next" "I usually beat this guy in friendlies, I should win" etc. etc.)

Things I've realized is that if you beat somebody in friendlies you aren't promised a win, and vice versa. Going into the match thinking "I SHOULD win" sets yourself up for disappointment the second you get 0-death'd. I go into the match thinking I'll just do my best and be a little patient the first game to feel my opponent out.

What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but have classified him as better than you?("****, gonna lose this one." "I still have a chance, always have a chance" etc. etc.)

Never give up. I typically go into the match thinking I'm going to lose, but when you go into the match not expecting much and you pull something off it gives you a great momentum boost in your head. That is where it counts the most.

Pre-match 1
You both plug into the cube, pick your characters, and move to the stage selection screen to pick your bans, how do you decide what to ban?("well if he's falco, I'll ban FD", "I really hate BF so I always ban it", etc. etc.)

I usually go off personal preference unless I'm up against a marth. If I'm playing a marth then I almost always ban Yoshi's Story. Pretty bad stage for falco vs marth if you ask me.

Is your mindset still the same? Are you nervous? Where is your head at when you press start and it selects a stage?

I always go into my first rounds with a calm and indifferent mindset. If it's later in the tournament after I've gotten my adrenaline boost I go into the match excited to the point where I keep shaking my legs up and down.

Match 1
Game starts, announcer says GO, what position do you take?(offensive, defensive, if you have projectiles do you get them out there, be general if you want cause I know it might depend on the characters you're playing, are you trying to be fancy or playing conservititve?)

Retreating short hop laser is my typical match starter.

What are you looking for, if anything, in your opponents playstyle?(is he rolling predictably, teching predictably, is he playing really offensive, shielding too much?)

I start to feel out their approach and throw out different types of ways that I have to stop it. I base the rest of my game around making it as hard as possible for them to approach, though there are always the players who just outplay you in that category.

Are you looking for how your opponent is punishing you?(is he predicting your rolls, your spotdodges, your techs? Do you change up your playstyle to keep the lead, or do you get more aggressive, do you go for more fancy ****?)

Typically I do try to look for ways my opponent is punishing me. Sometimes I just go on auto-pilot though and that ends nicely because it's all based off reaction time.

You are ahead, got a stock or two up, how are you feeling?(confident, staying humble, trying to keep focus)

If the match isn't too serious and I'm not that worried I usually feel confident, but if anything is riding on the match I just stay in focus. Humble is a little different, if I'm enjoying what is happening (beating a better player, 4 stocking, whatever) I will definitely show it and smile and laugh mid-match.

You fall behind, not too far, but you're behind, do you change your style?(start playing more defensive/offensive, stop going for fancy edgeguards or cut out some new techniques you have been trying?)

I go a little more on the defensive.

Games over, based on what happen (win or lose), what are you thinking about?("yes! I won, I got this, he's not very good", "crap, I loss, I don't think I can beat him" and everything in between.)

If I win I think "Okay, what is his counterpick?"
If I lose I go to rainbow cruise or pokefloat or corneria because I'm gay and have confidence on those stages.

Match 2
Based on how the last match went, what are you thinking about going into match 2? ("I noticed he was rolling/reading my rolls so let me adjust for that", "I need to gimp/not get gimped this time", "Hope I get lucky/hope he gets unlucky", etc. etc, anything that's going through your head)

I focus on how I can use the stage to my advantage.

Do you change characters?(specific situations, or do you always change characters? do you pick characters to counter playstyles?)

Almost never. I have a fox but I stick to falco a very good chunk of the time.

If you are in the position to counterpick, what do you base it off of? ("I noticed he was playing like this, I thought this stage would counter that", "I'm really comfortable on this stage, so I chose it")

I base it off a mix of stages I'm comfortable on and stages that would hurt his character.

Match 2 starts, depending on how the last match went how are you playing?("I won last time so I'm kinda ******* around this time", "I loss last time so I'm playing a lot more careful this time", "I already know I'm gonna win/lose so I'm not really focused")

If I win I have confidence, but that confidence turns into determination to win once my first stock is gone or once I lost the lead.

If I'm pretty much promised the win I take it relaxed, but still serious enough.
If I'm promised a loss I'll just **** around. (Like... Playing Mango first round of bracket at ROM2... >_> Thanks Scar)

If I lost the first match I just focus on keeping momentum on my counterpick.

Depending on how the match is going, you're winning/losing, how's your mindset?("When I'm losing I kinda give up since I'm already a match behind.", "If I'm winning I get excited and lose focus")

If I'm winning I get excited and get better focus since I get adrenaline boosts a lot at tournaments.

If I'm down in the set... well, it's pretty much the same because "I might lose... I can't lose!" sends me those same adrenaline boosts (Given I have a chance. Not playing somebody like Mango, yet.)

Match 3(if)
Last match, you've played your preferred characters, your preferred stage, how are you feeling?("I'm pretty confident I can win, I'll focus to be sure", "I got lucky 1 match, don't think I can win now", "I've figured out his playstyle and he doesn't seem to be switching it up, I got this", "Juss happy to have taken a game off him")

When it comes to the last match I always try to clear my mind and not let adrenaline overtake my body and I try my best to win.

Post-set
Depending on if you won or loss, what are you feeling?(did you surprise yourself? did your opponent surprise you? are you happy/mad? reviewing your mistakes?)

If I win against somebody good I'm ecstatic (Ask people who saw me after beating Chops at ROM2). If I do well against somebody but still lose and if I feel like it was a good set I walk away a little upset but still pretty happy with how I did. If I get *****... well, I got *****.

Misc. Questions
What character(s) do you use in tournament matches, and when (fox when I'm serious, falcon when I'm not)?

Falco almost always. If it isn't that serious I would use Fox, or probably still Falco.

Are you constantly adapting new techniques, are juss trying to perfect the basics?

Right now I'm adding new techniques. I have the basics just fine.

Does your playstyle vary from friendlies to tournament? Do you play 'better' in one versus the other?

I play far better in tournament.

What are some things you think a lot of people overlook, when it comes to winning?

Why they won or why the set was close or why they dominated. They just look at it saying "Well, I win. Yay. Next?" as opposed to people who lose who think "Why did I lose/Get so close to winning/Why did I get dominated?"
The losers way of thinking in this case is much better than the winners.

What would you say the main aspect of your playstyle is? Tech skill/mindgames/reading?
Short hop laser.
I really don't know, somebody from MDVA said I'm patient and smart (I don't understand wtf he was talking about though) so I guess mindgames or reading.

Who was/is the most influential smasher to you?

KoreanDJ and **** Tom. Hands down. Pretty much all the smashers, though, have changed me for the better. I'm nothing like I was when I first started out smash. Definitely a life changing thing, and those two are the most to blame for it.

Uh, playstyle wise though it's definitely Bombsoldier. =P

Whats up with your name, why did you choose it?

It was an irl nickname before smash and I figured I may as well use it.
Old e-mail = matt.zab@kasjkld;f
Friends typo = matt.zeb@kjasdf
Sister sees = Calling me "mattdotzeb!" whenever she sees me.
His girlfriend hears = She starts doing it
Her friends think its cool = They do it
My friend who made the typo started calling me it
My friends that hung around him heard it
They started calling me it
And there ya go. I'm MattDotZeb.

Probably... just shooting lasers with Falco.

unknown522

Some guy
Thanks :), yea some of the questions are repetitive, if i keep getting people who don't have a change in attitude between matches..o I juss thought, maybe I should put a question regarding losers/winners bracket, maybe juss a simple one like does your mentality change at all when you are in losers vs. winners, or grand finals even, although i suspect a lot of the answers will be along the lines of 'there is a bit more pressure, maybe a lil more nervous, but still trying to maintain focus'.

Also! A new interviewee; Unknown522 ^^

(quoted from PM, permission to post here granted :p)

Thanks again unknown :p
Np.

edit: holy crap eric, that's a long *** answer starting from "don't expect, accept" (the green part). It's good advice though. I remember you telling me that at the tourney last weekend.

edit2: I like this thread a lot. As I read my answers and read other's answers, it really lets me reflect as a smasher, for what I could be doing well or poorly outside of playing the game. Decisions and mental state is so important.

Pi

Smash Hero
*interview*
thanks man, and yea I have to agree with the losers vs. the winners mindset, even though you have won, unless you JV5'd them you have room for improvement (at least that's the way I see it lol), although I'm still guilty of taking nothing out of my winnings (**** I needed this reminder lol), I really want to start recording my matches so even if I forget to take something away from my wins right after them, I can always go back and view them when I'm not playing smash ><

thanks for takin the time to answer my questions, MattDotZeb, I'm gonna put you down as that and as strictly falco since you seemed pretty adamant about that lol

Np.

edit: holy crap eric, that's a long *** answer starting from "don't expect, accept" (the green part). It's good advice though. I remember you telling me that at the tourney last weekend.

edit2: I like this thread a lot. As I read my answers and read other's answers, it really lets me reflect as a smasher, for what I could be doing well or poorly outside of playing the game. Decisions and mental state is so important.
cool, now i don't feel so selfish haha, i'm realllyyyy trying to get my mental state where it needs to be, i'm too restricted by self fulfilling prophecies i think ;|

Pi

Smash Hero
Update

Added:
Your Smash Career

1. How long have you been with the series? (since ssb64, started with melee, dropped brawl for melee)
  2. How did you discover competitive melee? (local tournament, met some pro's, etc. etc.)
  4. What keeps you stuck on this game? (community, the depth, the ever evolving metagame, etc. etc.)
Turned section names Red

Separated 'Interview' from rest of post more clearly

Pi

Smash Hero
Should we go back and answer those 4? e.e
I would like for you to :bee:
but it's entirely up to you lol
I juss planned to update this whenever I think of new questions so check back in every now and again if you want ^^
That section was actually inspired by your little background, made me curious to know about others
if you wanna juss edit your post that'd be great too, I'll be sure to check up everyone's posts now and again to see

Pi

Smash Hero
I updated my post.
Advanced how to play video is tooooooo gooooood
I remember when all that **** was so overwhelming, then forgetting about the video, then re-discovering it after I could pretty much do all the **** in the video without problem, a really good feeling. I bet a lot of people got real into melee upon discovering this video

I wonder if it helps that they discover the video themselves or have someone show them it...cause all my friends that I've shown it to never really took it and ran with it, not like I did

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I didn't mean to say that I'm known by "WJEM" I'm mostly known as worldjem7 or just worldjem. If I use a tag on my character it will either be one of those. That's what I meant.

Might edit my post for the new questions later.

Pi

Smash Hero
I didn't mean to say that I'm known by "WJEM" I'm mostly known as worldjem7 or just worldjem. If I use a tag on my character it will either be one of those. That's what I meant.

Might edit my post for the new questions later.
okay, i'll edit it :p, and please do ^^

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Interview ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your Smash Career

I started playing with advanced techniques in October 2006 but didn't actually enter a tournament until January 2007 or so. I've had Melee since 2002 or 2003; I don't remember.
    I wanted to get better. I was convinced people were better than me so I looked for guides. I stumbled across the inappropriately-named guide "The Competitive Kirby" and learned advanced techniques and some simple matchup strategies. Then it was practice amongst my group of friends. Sadly, none of them got into it.

For a few months I just played with friends, but eventually I worked up the nerve to go to a local tournament about an hour or so away. The rest was just learning and going to more tournaments and smashfests after having a blast. The development of a gaming club at my school helped keep me motivated, since there was someone there to compete with, but he quit shortly after.

Almost three years now, assuming my math's not horribly off.
    It's too much fun. The community is awesome. I probably have more smash friends than normal friends. Smash friends have more or less become my normal friends.

Pre-tournament

I just try to play friendlies or talk to people. Warming up with good opponents is nice for keeping my brain in working order; warming up with lower-caliber opponents is nice for keeping my tech skill and imagination sharp. Imagination is really underrated in this game, and yet simultaneously overrated at the same time.
    I play with fewer CPUs. But that doesn't say much because I play with CPUs way too much.
    I'm always training hahaha. Either with a computer or with friends. University is a pain but I find time for solo practice if nothing else. There's a lot of random stuff people don't know. Most of it's pretty useless, but every now and then it makes a cool gimmick or trick that can keep someone off balance.
    A bit.
    I got this. I play a broken character. Remember what Fox and Falco's tech animations look like.

Pre-match

I assume he's the best player in the world from the offset. I only play Sheik so it's not like I have a whole lot to consider with character selection. I overestimate everyone from the offset unless I'm lazy or upset. Start with what they're doing right, then tally the mistakes and take note of their imperfections. This way, even if they play a perfect game, you're not going in assuming it's going to be easy. Similarly, you're forced to look for subjective mistakes, rather than obvious ones if they are playing a solid game.
    Stay frosty. Anything can happen.
    Trust your brain. It has valuable information. Camping is good. Keep your spacing. Anything can happen.

Pre-match 1

I dislike FD against Falco and Fox. Pokemon Stadium is similarly irritating against Fox. Beyond that, it boils down to how I feel. I'm usually nervous on FoD, but I've pulled some really stupid stuff off on that level that doesn't work elsewhere and people are generally uncomfortable on it. Sheik's also pretty good on it, so there's a good chance they'll ban it for me. It varies, I suppose.

Peach I'm not to scared of on Mute City these days, but I don't know what to replace that ban with. Marth is usually Pokemon Stadium; I think it's his best level against Sheik. Jigglypuff is usually Mute City or FD, depending on how I feel. From there it's usually whatever the opposing character's best level is. Luigi I'd axe FD, same for Ice Climbers, Falcon probably Kongo Jungle 64 or Dreamland, and so forth and so on.
    Not really worried. I know my limits and what I should watch out for.

Match 1

If I'm below them, I either go offensive with a Nair or something, or immediately go for position under a platform and start the camping. If I'm above, I try to work my way down without doing anything stupid. If we're both on sides and level, sometimes I just hurl a needle to try and get some free percent. If they're close, I move back.
    I look mainly for when they're going to tech in place, non-tech, and how they like to DI my throws. Everyone combos Sheik the same, so there's not much to look for there.

In movement, I pay attention to how they like to dash dance. Shielding and other defensive options are something I should pay more attention to, but I don't frequently. I should though. And so should you.

Offensive versus defensive style isn't something I really pay attention to. I just go with the flow. Although I should pay more attention to it.
    I pay attention to my rolling. I don't like rolling. I also dislike sidestep. If I'm being punished for either, I should be shielding more or WDing back; much safer. If they're predicting me, I'll probably start doing less.

I get complacent when I have a lead, I find, or I try to preserve the lead because it's fun to say "I 3-stocked so-and-so". But that often backfires. It's a terrible habit, I assure you.
    See above.
    I just try to focus on making sure I don't get too comfortable and take the openings I get. Hit the techs, land the edgeguard, and then it's even. Fanciness is still allowed, always.
    Too many things to list.

Match 2

If I lost, I think about what my counterpick is and why I lost the first game. I pay attention to what I was being punished for and what was giving me the most grief. I then try to think of how I can avoid that happening.
    I don't switch. I used to but lately I don't want to bother.
    Depends.
    If I won, I'm probably going to play similarly to how I did the first game. If I lost, I'm still probably going to play similarly but with tweaks. Altering a whole playstyle is counterproductive, I think. I might play more careful but it really does depend on the opponent. If I lost for being passive, being more careful is the last thing on my mind.
    Unless it's Unknown522, I try to not give up.

Match 3(if)

Bring it home. If I fail, oh well.

Post-set

I always review my mistakes. I make so many of them.

Misc. Questions

Fox is fun. And helps tech skill. Sheik is more fun.
    Bit of both. I try to be cool in friendlies though.
    I'm gayer in tournament.
    Imagination is heavily underrated and heavily overrated simultaneously. So is edgeguarding. For my character specifically, you can usually find something better to do than F-tilt after throw.
    Get grab. Do stuff after grab. Profit.
    Probably Drephen. He taught me that some things can simply not be emulated.
    Kirbycide sounds stupid.
    Nair really low on their shield. Grab immediately after. Beats shield grab frequently. D-throw --> U-tilt on characters when they DI behind me is also ******** and stupid and more people need to do it. Ledgehop Dair on fastfaller recoveries to get a big combo is also really fun.
~*REMINDER*~ put the name you're most well known by!
KirbyKaze

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pi

Smash Hero
rofl, thanks for those candid responses kaze
i really hate that the people i originally got into smash with never took it as far as i did =\
i've got a real good group now though who are always looking to advance their game
i have to keep reminding them about techniques though!
and my one friend keeps pressuring me to swd -> bomb -> dair
yea bro lemme hook dat up for you on command.

annnnnnyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyyy
thanks for takin the time to answers kaze
curious, how do you pronounce it? kah-zay, or kayz

also, when you say subjective mistakes
you're talking like 'when I do this, he does this' ? like rolls n ****?

edit
i love throwing singular needle at the beginning of matches, it ALWAYS hits o.O

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
A subjective mistake is usually a style thing. What moves they like more than others, specific things about their dash dance, etc. It's subjective because it's not something that immediately strikes an observer as a mistake; it could very readily be viewed as the correct play.

So I guess a subjective mistake would be something that's not a bad move, but I'm trying to make it a bad move.

Kah-Zay

Pi

Smash Hero
A subjective mistake is usually a style thing. What moves they like more than others, specific things about their dash dance, etc. It's subjective because it's not something that immediately strikes an observer as a mistake; it could very readily be viewed as the correct play.

So I guess a subjective mistake would be something that's not a bad move, but I'm trying to make it a bad move.

Kah-Zay
ah okay
interesting...
i'll keep my eyes more open to those types of mistakes
dooooooood....
realization juss hit me...
at first I though tall the tech skill involved in playing melee was overwhelming
especially characters like fox and falco
now i can do that ****
and now all this mental **** is hitting me and it's feeling way overwhelming
like how well you have to know characters, opponents, moves, tenancies, habits, styles, and be able to adjust for them on a match to match basis, for both you and your opponent.
sheesh. o well. i got dis.

Pi

Smash Hero
I'm not on this list, an as a very important Florida smasher......

I am dissapoint.
>.<
I know I see your account around the forums quite a bit but I think you go by a diff name while smashing? Or rather other smashers know you by a diff name...idk
But pleaaasseeeeee take my interview ^^

Foy

Smash Champion
Your Smash Career: FOY

1. How long have you been with the series? I use to play 64 with friends and what not.
  2. How did you discover competitive melee? The first time i discovered competitive melee was when i first found Joebushmans HRC vids. Those vids led to Chu vs Azen MLG matches which blew my mind.
  3. How long have you been attending tournaments? My first legit tournament with people who knew AT's was a few months before Pound 3. PC, Chu and Plank ended up showing up and my first tournament match was vs chu.
  4. What keeps you stuck on this game? What keeps me stuck to this game is mostly the community and the competition and the constant change of metagame and how people play.

Pre-tournament

1. What do you do to warm up for the tournament? I usually play against a bunch of kids. And if someone has special herb that helps tremendously.
  2. Anything different from normal routine? Not really. Smashfest with other smashers before tournaments usually help get me into the game.
  3. If so, how early do you start training?Day before, and I constantly practice vs CPUs.
  4. Do you view matches of opponents that will be at the tournament?I did this once before pound 3. Didn't help me at all.
  5. What's your mindset going to the tournament? I usually just hope for the best and play for fun. Which usually results in me losing to people below my skill level. =_=

Pre-match

1. The TO announces you have a match on TV 3 with a smasher you have never heard of, what's your game plan? What do you assume about the player, if anything? Either i A) Go find the player and introduce myself and talk to him. Or B) Ask kids who that random kid is and who he plays and his skill level.
  2. What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but are fairly confident of beating?I just go in hoping I preform well.
  3. What about a match with a smasher who you know/heard of, but have classified him as better than you?See above answer.

Pre-match 1

1. You both plug into the cube, pick your characters, and move to the stage selection screen to pick your bans, how do you decide what to ban?Most of the time i ban FD cause i hate that stage ever since Mattdotzeb came over to my house and dthrow techchased me with falcon for 3 hours.
  2. Is your mindset still the same? Are you nervous? Where is your head at when you press start and it selects a stage? Mindset the same as long as I'm not playing bowser. If im playing bowser, hope for Yoshi's and pray that they dont ban it.

Match 1

1. Game starts, announcer says GO, what position do you take?I usually run away at first to see how the opponent approaches. Learn how they move and what not.
  2. What are you looking for, if anything, in your opponents playstyle?Usually wait to see where he messes up so i can get grabs and continue combos.
  3. Are you looking for how your opponent is punishing you?Not really, this is my downfall. I just say to myself "Stop playing stupid!"
  4. You are ahead, got a stock or two up, how are you feeling?The same. Playing the game with a positive attitude and usually enjoying myself.
  5. You fall behind, not too far, but you're behind, do you change your style?Play smarter. Get alittle more seriously and avoid getting hit.
  6. Games over, based on what happen (win or lose), what are you thinking about?If i Win, rad cool stuff. Shake the other dudes hand and see if i can keep the tv and play more friendlies with him. If i lose i get up throw my hat if i have on across the room and rage for like 3 secs. Then do what i did if i win.

Match 2

1. Based on how the last match went, what are you thinking about going into match 2? See match 2.
  2. Do you change characters?I they are playing spacies/low tier i usually go bowser and CP yoshi's to see if i can catch them offguard.
  3. If you are in the position to counterpick, what do you base it off of? Who they play, what if i know they are bad against certain characters.
  4. Match 2 starts, depending on how the last match went how are you playing?Positive mindset and stop playing dumb.
  5. Depending on how the match is going, you're winning/losing, how's your mindset?Fight to the end.

Match 3(if)

1. Last match, you've played your preferred characters, your preferred stage, how are you feeling?Better knowing i beat the kid. Hopefully they don't camp me. =[

Post-set

1. Depending on if you won or loss, what are you feeling?Rage for a millisecond if i lost. If i win "Awesome" Tell the dude gg's and lets play more please and thank you.

Misc. Questions

1. What character(s) do you use in tournament matches, and when Fox, Falcon, Bowser. Trying to Pick up IC's (I'm very indecisive.)
  2. Are you constantly adapting new techniques, are juss trying to perfect the basics?Trying to get he basics down to a perfection.
  3. Does your playstyle vary from friendlies to tournament? Do you play 'better' in one versus the other? Nah i usually sandbag alot during friendlies depending on the character im playing(Like as kirby, if i get a stock up and they are Falcon/ganon i usually waste on stock trying to land a Falcon/warlock punch)
  4. What are some things you think a lot of people overlook, when it comes to winning? No idea. >_>
  5. What would you say the main aspect of your playstyle is? Tech skill/mindgames/reading? Reading alot. Getting grabs as often as possible and following them up. (KFC fox training helped with that)
  6. Who was/is the most influential smasher to you?Either TheManaLord or Killafocash. They both have been extremely helpful when I've been trying to improve. Both are mad chill and help whenever possible.
  7. Whats up with your name, why did you choose it? My original name was Adhdfoy when i first started playing smash. It was an old starcraft name i had, it just transferred over to melee. I was diagnosed with Adhd when i was younger and my last name is Foy. After brawls release and ADHD the diddykong player started being know, i would go to Melee/brawl tournaments and kids would think i was ADHD. =_=;; So i finally just changed it to Foy.
  8. What is your personal favorite technique to use in a match?(technical or psychological, either one :p) I love yelling obscenities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pi

Smash Hero
Haha, thanks Foy
herbs prior to tournaments, medicinal I assume! jajaja

i'd like to see how your opponent reacts after you throw your hat and rage then offer to shake their hand o.o.

any way, thanks for answerin my questions man ^^

Top Bottom