• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 7 - It's Over, Nothing to See Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Roxas

It was good overall, but his specials seemed a bit... weird. Like others have said, there were too many restrictions on neutral B, which makes it a hassle to use. If I'm in the midst of a match, how am I going to remember all of that stuff? The GIFs were a nice touch too. The menu system seemed strange to me as well, because what is your opponent going to be doing at this time? Does the menu take up the entire screen? What happens when you get hit while you're in the menu? This stuff is important to know if I'm ever going to use Roxas.

Akiak

Smash Ace

Movesets in Progress​

_-^ A joint work based on a joint team...

_-^ A masked ball that likes to "flip around".

Future Projects​

_-^ A masked man that virtually represents myself...

_-^ An original character...

Akiak

Smash Ace
@ Roxas: Well, I can't say this is your best set. I remember your past ones, and they were better, but Roxas was still a good read. The mechanic is very interesting, I can really see it work in Smash (but not in Local Multiplayer) and it's pretty balanced too. The specials are simple, but pretty good anyway; I especially like the Keyblade Shift, though maybe it could have been something different than a mere buff. Those Gifs were very useful though to get the moves picture in my head, and they made up for the slight lack of detail in your description. Overall, the real cool thing about Roxas is how he fits perfectly into Smash. I can just see those moves being added on the Dojo by Sakurai. Work on detail, and try adding some made-up moves instead of the KH in-game ones. Other than that, it was a good set, but I know you can do better if you listen to my suggestions.

To the others, I'll try to be as active as possible and finish my sets on time.
I believe the MYM fire is burning again in me, I just can't abandon this contest, really. :urg:

Volke: The Mysterious Fireman

...Volke is a man of mystery. He is hired in the Fire Emblem universe by Ike to reveal a secret left behind by his father, then later to aid in the campaign against Daein. In Radiant Dawn he is hired by Bastian to do research on Princess Elincia’s Uncle, then gets roped into helping in the last few chapters, of course under a contract. Volke has few allies and even fewer friends, but is a strong unit and the only assassin in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Volke puts a price tag on anything he does, and will always make sure to get rewarded for whatever he does.

...Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn were the first Fire Emblem games to fully implement a full skill system, and this is reflected in Volke’s moveset. Volke will also represent the Assassin/Thief class as a whole from all the Fire Emblem games, borrowing animations and attacks from older games.

Special Mechanics: Miracle​

While Volke is fighting, if he is hit into any of the blast zones (the death walls) there is a slim chance (About 25%) the wall will become solid for him and he will be able to bounce off and recover. Imagine the walls become like on Shadow Moses

This comes from the skill “Miracle” in Fire Emblem that lets a character survive any lethal blow.

Stats)))

Height)))6
A tad taller than Mario

Weight)))4
On the Lighter side, around Luigi’s

First Jump)))6
Height of Sheik’s

Second Jump)))6
About the height of Mario’s

Fall Speed)))7
Fast Faller. Comparable to Pikachu

Traction)))9
Volke would never be as unfocused as to simply trip, he’s much too careful for that

Walk Speed)))6
Very speedy, up there with Falco and Wolf

Dash Speed)))8
Up there with Sheik. One of the Assassin’s main skills is speed after all

Power)))4
Not the most powerful guy out there, but has got some good gimping moves and a few good KO moves.

Aerial Movement)))4
Little ability to maneuver in the air, around Pikachu

Animations)))

Entrance)))
Falls from the sky and pockets a few coins in a satchel, then puts it away.

Idle pose)))
Pulls some coins out of his pocket with his left arm and rolls it around in his hand before pocketing it again.

Walking)))
Shuffles forward with feet never crossing, just sliding. He has the knife out still by his face, and his other hand is tensed in a fist. His runnning animation is much the same, but he leans farther forward.

Crouch)))
Volke kneels down on one knee with his left hand on the ground.

Sidestep)))
Dives backwards into a handstand then pops back into the action.

BackRoll)))
Volke does a double back hand spring, good distance.

FrontRoll)))
Dives forward and drops into a crouch (Picture snake’s dash attack)

Ledge Hang)))
Stabs knife into ledge and grabs a second knife from a sheath on his hip, left knife dangles ready to attack with. After climbing back up the knife is quickly sheathed.

Trip)))
Volke doesn’t trip.

Specials)))

Neutral Special)))Shade
This move has a passive charge like the Wario Waft. After about 2 minutes the technique allows Volke to turn “invisible”. The invisibility is the equivalent of the cloaking device in Melee, but it does not filter damage. It confuses CPU’s in FFA causing them to attack other characters more often, and it increases Volke’s jumping ability slightly, giving him a slightly higher first jump (Fox to Falco). The attack lasts about 20 seconds, Useful for approaches, mindgames, and recovery to a degree.

Up Special)))“Blazing Sword” Assassin critical
This is critical strike used by assassin in Fire Emblem 7 and 8 for Assassins.

Volke disappears and reappears as two “Phantom” Volke’s on two sides, about as high as Fox’s Fire Fox attack high, and two SSB blocks in the direction choses, and then they dive down and combine at the height of one of Fox’s Fire Fox attacks. Then the remerged Volke follows up with a single slashing attack that sends opponents upward with medium knockback, able to kill Mario at 85% percent. The dashing Phantom Volke’s cause 4 damage and drag them into the main attack, which causes 10% in itself. This attack has a little bit of start up lag. If the description is hard to understand, check the GIF, it should clarify.

Side Special)))Pickpocket

Volke reaches out in front of him, like he is going to grab, and if he makes contact he pulls up close to the opponent (Snake’s grab close) during which Volke has super-armour and makes a quick swipe at the opponent, then shoves them away. The swipe only does about 5%, but the special properties are where this attack becomes more useful. If the opponent is holding a weapon, that weapon becomes yours after the push. This can steal clip-on items (like reflector and screw attack) as well as regular attack-items.

This attack can also, however, steal charges away from characters with stored charges (Samus, DK, Etc.), although you do not gain the effects in any way, they are just taken from the target. If Volke misses, the end lag is a little longer than average. If used in the air, both Volke and the target freeze. Then instead of a push forward, the enemy is pushed downward.

Down Special)))Guard

This attack does not do any damage, but can set up for a combo. Volke leans forward about half a Stage builder block and swipes the hilt of his knife forward with incredible speed. The start up lag is barely more than a few frames. The hilt smash causes an opponent to feint out of any attack and stutter-step a little, leaving him open for a low-lag follow-up attack.

The attack becomes useful because the speed it comes out at allows Volke to break combos of all but the fastest foes. The end lag is as minimal as possible, unless you miss, where it becomes a little longer than average. If used in the air, the same effects take place.

Standards)))

Jab)))Punch, Punch, Shankapotumus
Volke punches twice quickly with his left hand then turns and begins an infinite jab with his knife. 1% per hit.

Dash)))Running Side Swipe
This attack is a simple horizontal swipe with the knife on the run. Volke loses no speed while doing this attack, and continue with his dash leaving absolutely no end lag, although trying to pivot afterward results in an auto-trip. The move does 4% and causes some low vertical knockback allowing for a follow-up as long as you stop the dash as you attack, and/or buffer a new attack to completely follow up the dash.

Tilts)))

Forward Tilt)))Step-back Stab
Volke pivots backwards and stabs his knife at where he was just standing. The range on this attack is abysmal as it attacks the space Volke was standing when the attck was initiated, and is only able to attack those in very close quarters. The attack does, however, deal out 9%, a good damage attack for the speed it has (just some end lag). There are also invincibility frames for the step back and forward again. This attack also has slightly higher knockback then average, killing at around 65% on Mario. The attack is an excellent follow up to a Guard.

Down Tilt)))Shin Swipe
Volke swings his knife horizontally, reaching far out to get extended reach. This attack can juggle heavier opponents up to 20% from 0%. It causes a vertical knockback around Sheik’s, but can juggle of course.

Up Tilt))) Bicycle Kick
Volke does a simple bicycle kick, coming a little off the ground. There is a sweet spot at the tip of the boot (Like Ganon’s up-air) that will do an additional 7% to the regular amount of 6% and cause above average vertical knockback. Un-sweet spotted hits the opponent upwards a little higher than Mario’s. There is some end lag that prevents Volke from following up with any sort of aerial counter, but the sweet spot can kill Mario's around 70%

Smashes)))

Forward Smash)))One-Two Kick
Volke charges and then does a high kick towards the air, then one straight out. Smaller characters can duck under the initial hit, and spot-dodge the second do to minor lag between them. The initial kick wields 6% and the second 8%. The knockback of the first is minimal, juggling for the second hit, then the second causes extreme knockback. The starting lag is short, he kicks up quickly, and there is some lag, as stated, between the two kicks (enough for a shorter character to spot-dodge and counter). The end lag is where it hurts, Volke retracts his leg slowly, before returning to his standing position; the lag is comparable to Ganon’s forward Smash, a few frames longer.

Down Smash)))Double Knife Toss
Volke takes out the scarcely seen second knife hidden at his belt and crosses his arms and then releases throwing down the knives about half a SSB block in any direction. The knives do 6% uncharged, and 10% fully charged and causes mild Horizontal knockback, and have little lag on either end, though smaller opponents can abuse a blind spot located completely adjacent to Volke where the knives go over.

Up Smash))) Rising Knife-Stand Kick
Volke stabs his knife into the ground and balances his hands on the hilt while spinning, quickly alternating his hands on top. While he spins his feet start in an arc and rise up, eventually leveling out in a complete vertical stand where he bends slightly and delivers the final kick. Each of the spinning kicks deals 2% regardless of charge and has a vacuum effect causing anyone hit to be pulled into the vacuum. There are 4 kicks in all and the final kick does 5% uncharged and 7% when fully charged. The final kick delivers high knockback if charged for at least a few frames. It can kill Mario’s at around 65%. The range on this attack is misleading, as it has the extra height from the knife allowing for some foes to be fooled into the last kick. There is some start and end lag.

Aerials)))

Neutral Aerial)))Money Scatter
Volke pulls out a bag of coins and cuts it with his knife. Coins scatter outward dealing 1% on contact with each coin. About 3 coins go off in each direction for a small distance. Minimal end lag, some starting lag.

Forward Aerial))) Counter Knife Strike
This attack utilized the skill “counter” from PoR. Volke Spins his knife once in a flashy move and then stabs outward with it, little reach, slightly laggy, but it delvers damage and knockback equal to the last move used on Volke regardless of what kind of move. If no move was used on him, Volke feints a swipe and falls into an air dodge. The end lag is minimal, allowing it to be combo’d into in the event of a weak move being used.

If utilized with Miracle after an attack that should have KO’d this attack can have nasty effects on the opponent.

Back Aerial)))Turn Knife Slash
Volke leans back and swipes his knife. If it makes contact he can combo into a down aerial, but if it misses he performs a slow spin back into the regular fall position, but is open to attacks during the spin. It causes 9% and sets up for down aerial. When it connects Volke pauses for a moment and leaves his right-hand dagger in the opponent, this is when you use the down aerial. Both ends of this attack are fairly laggy (only at the end if it misses).

Up Aerial)))Knife Toss
Volke tosses his left hand knife up above him. The knife causes 6% damage. The attack causes a small amount of vertical knockback. The entire attack lasts only a few frames allowing for multiple uses in one fall.

Down Aerial)))Hidden Knife Spike
Volke pulls out a hidden dagger from somewhere in his sleeves with his left hand swipes it underneath him in an arc. The attack has little lag at the start, but he needs to re-sheath the blade, causing a mid-lag end lag. If this move is used after the back connects (almost immediately after) while the main blade is lodged in the enemy, the hidden blade is revealed. He swipes back and down at a diagonal angle spiking the opponent downward at the back-down angle, one of his best killing moves if set up correctly.
Damage= 6% regardless of which form is used.

Grabs)))

Grab)))
Volke simply reaches out with his free hand and draws the foe close to him

Pummel)))Body Stab
Volke repeatedly strikes the knife into the foe's torso, 1% per stab

Forward Throw))) Shove/Smite
The ever popular and underrated skill all units possess known as shove. In
Fire Emblem, Shove allows the user to push any ally or enemy one space away and this is
similar for Smash. Volke pushes the foe with his shoulder and the opponent stumbles
backwards one block away, where they fall to the ground. It does no damage, but acts as
a set-up for other attacks. The foe falls by into the usual stance for a standard trip every
so often (about a 25% chance).

Back Throw)))Assassin Tele-kick
Volke leans back with the opponent and then vanishes in a puff of smoke, the
Opponent is put off-balance (goes into the pose they go into when they are near the edge
of the stage) and Volke reappears behind them and kicks them in the back Sparta Kick
style dealing 8%. The kick has medium knockback, but sends them up slightly, making
recovery easy when possible.

Up Throw)))Knife Toss
Volke tosses up the opponent like in the down throw, but instead of teleporting, he
simply throws up a barrage of knives. He throws 4 and each one deals 3% and causes a
juggle effect for a short period, allowing Volke to finish it with a quick aerial.

Down Throw)))Teleporting Back Slam
Volke tosses the opponent up into the air and teleports (with the smoke effect of course)
above them and falls with them back into the ground, slamming their back with his boots.
He then leaps off. The attack deals 10% and leaves them in a lying state on the ground.

Playstyle)))The Mind of an Assassin

Volke is your basic speed-combo character. Using his quick tilts, the hit-and-run of his
dash attack, and the stealthy aspect of his Neutral B allow Volke to approach when
necessary. While his Down-B and Side- B allow him to break approaches and attacks of
his opponents. Miracle, and the forward aerial have your basic mindgames to deal with,
making sure not to utilize any overkill, in the event that miracle saves him, with the
forward aerial’s properties, opponents can easily be killed.

Playing Against)))Shining Light into the Shadows

Beating Volke relies partially on luck, and your ability to predict. If you can trick
Volke into using counter, you can take advantage of the end lag and strike. Learning how
Volke is going to attack, and from where, it vital in dealing with him after he uses
Stealth. The last important thing to learn to beat Volke is knowing which move can kill
him, without exerting any unneeded damage or knockback. If that Forward aerial is
used after he is saved and it kills you, chances are the attack you used was simply not
necessary. Volke is light and it doesn’t take much to KO him, but his special measures
make accomplishing the goal tricky

n88

Smash Lord
Volke

Your formatting is beautiful :p (Although there is a seemingly random [/quote] ate the end of your set. Might want to clean that up).

While Volke would be a beautiful moveset for actual Brawl, it's somewhat lacking in creativity in places, most notably the U-Air (U-Airs...:mad:). The attack descriptions can occasionally be hard to follow, as in the Up Special. Fortunately, you have the GIF to clear that up.
I like the set, but it needs to be a touch more creative.

JOE! said:
hey, I finally found a bad MU for EVERYONE:evil:
Fixed.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
[size=+2]Roxas[/size]
Roxas is definitely a improvement for you, I'd say better than Itachi if anyone's even going to use that set as a comparison. This set did a great job of keeping true to the Kingdom Hearts series with the menu mechanic, you would really feel like playing KH when using Roxas in Brawl.

I'd agree with the others that Roxas' weight isn't really suited to him and it doesn't help with the Neutral Special. I'd in fact say that the Neutral could have been cut down to 1 second and done 30% in total with all the slashes. Oh, and you should be able to control Roxas slightly during the attack to make DIs harder for foes. The playstyle doesn't totally come together, but it's still a very good effort, especially with the extras and GIFs which show how hard you worked to make this set.

[size=+2]Volke[/size]
I remember Prince Reyson from MYM6. This looks a lot better in terms of organisation so it seems you've stepped up majorly from the old times. 25% isn't a slim chance with his Miracle Mechanic. When I see this first up in the set, it makes him seem like a broken character.

It would seem that in your writing, you tend to make points about the attack that readers would come to understand after reading the move description BEFORE the actual move description is stated. For example:
This attack does not do any damage, but can set up for a combo.
In the Down Special, this was the opening line. You're telling me this but I know nothing about the attack beforehand. This information needs to be placed lastly in the attack description, if anywhere. On the subject of the Down Special, stating that the attack does no damage (has no damage percentage) if there is none stated is uneccesary at most times because the reader will see there being no damage percentage or knockback stated in the attack as common sense that there is none. Sorry if I sound complicated.

It's much better than Prince Reyson hands down, and the set seems to be trying to be Smash viable to which I seem to understand. The Miracle Mechanic doesn't have any bearing on his game whatsoever, and he would still die anyway from not having a recovery or a great second jump. Usually a mechanic is placed in a set with the intention of it having bearing on the character or playstyle greatly. You're improving at a very good rate, so keep trying or just making occasional set or 2 if that is your style.

The_Great_Panda

Smash Apprentice
Volke

Seems fairly solid, though it's not really my play style being more so reliant on his technicalities but it seems to be a fun character to use ^^

And yes, I was referring to the Vent from Megaman ZX; if my signature would start showing up there would be a link to the original though ><

But I do have one question; considering how I've designed Vent there will be 6 movesets (each of the Models seen in the game) of fairly large mass... Anyone think I should maybe separate it in separate posts or something?

Just to give you an idea and get an early critique here is one of Model X's attacks:

Neutral Combo- Vent will start by dropping down and merging into a full circle sweep kick that moves at about ¾ the speed of Sonic’s Down Smash and has range similar to the first swing of Link’s Neutral Combo; this part of the attack has virtually no knock back to fit in with standard Neutral Combos. ~~~2% Pound type attack

After the sweep kick as Vent is turning back to face forward he will start to rise and merge into an uppercut with his buster arm. The uppercut will have the same speed as the sweep kick before it but it’s range will be limited to only the target that was caught in the attack or someone unfortunate enough to be nearly touching him; there isn’t necessary any knock back to this attack, but it does lift the target into the air slightly as a strong uppercut should; however, targets over 100% will probably be pushed too far out for the next part of the attack to hit. ~~~3% Pound type attack

To finish the combo Vent will fire a buster shot up at an angle to match the target. This attack will not take advantage of the Maintain Buster function; the shot fired will have the same appearance as a standard half charged buster shot. However, the buster shot will move at very quick speeds but have a much shorter distance then its B button counterpart; the shot will move at roughly the speed of Sonic’s dash but only cover about a Bowser and a half’s worth of distance. When it comes to knock back at about 100% it would push a light weight character from one end of FD to the other end and about a standard double jump into the air. ~~~3% Energy type attack

Start lag: 3/10
Damage: Total: 8%
Range: 3/10
Knock back: 2/10
End lag: 1/10

~edit: And of course my signature decides to work when I complain...

Frf

Smash Apprentice
VOLKE THE FIREMAN!
-The mechanic seems forced. It comes from fire emblem, yeah, but will it benefit his playstyle at all? It's like making a pokeset and having the pokemon's special mechanic be that sometimes attacks do double the damage, because critical hits are in pokemon games. It doesn't make sense, really.
-If the neutral B didn't have the timer effect it'd be a lot more useful.
-Side special is cool, albeit a tad too situational.
-Props on the down special. I hope it becomes more important as the set goes on...

-Killing at 65% seems a tad ridiculous, especially for a quick tilt.
-Some of these attacks are quite strong, yet Volke's power stat is 4....
-So does charging the forward smash do anything at all?
-The forward air is cool.
-Your writing style is a bit messy and cluttered. This really shows in the back air.
-Down air his best killing move? Maybe his best spike, but it looks like he has quite a few good kill moves....

-No final smash.....
-Is the playstyle against him LONGER than his own playstyle? 0.0 Not a bad thing, just odd.....Both are very short, however....

If this is your first set, it shows potential. You have some great ideas within the set that could EASILY mold into an epic playstyle, but your writing style makes it all tough to imagine. If you keep at it and aim for a more playstyle-focused set, I will eagerly await to review it.

Thanks everyone so far...espically N88 for help with orginaization.

And I was hoping no one would remember Reyson :mad:

As I recall, I was writing this during a time in MYM 6 when Special Mechanics were heavily suggested, so when I realized my set didn't have one, I sorta threw one on their...in retrospect, not the smartest thing...

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Volke

Volke was a pretty significant step up from Prince Reyson, so congratulations there. He's got a few problems and weaknesses you still need to address though. The presentation and writing were much improved, but your writing still has a ways to go. Your language seems a tad forced and redundant, and you make a habit of not including important pieces of information, especially priority. The Down Tilt is notable for completely failing to mention damage either.

There's a lack of coherence to the moveset; it doesn't come together. Getting a moveset to do that is hard work, and it's probably one of the biggest goals of a moveset maker, to make it all fit together. Things like your mechanic, which don't add anything to his style, and have random chance like that seem rather tacked on and detract from the goal you're trying to go for with the set.

Other things to say, the Neutral Special shouldn't takes so long to charge up if its going to have such a minor effect. It's hard to get some characters to even last that long in a fight. The Up and Down Specials though, on the other hand, were both great moves, the Down Special being a nice, simple combo set up move, and the Up Special being one of the more original recoveries I've seen in a while.

Overall, he's got the hallmarks I see of an improving MYMer, more creativity, and the beginnings of a playstyle. What you've got to do now though is learn to focus on the playstyle aspect and make your moveset fit together better. And improve your writing and move descriptions. Try to show, not tell, when you can, and don't fit as much information you can in as little space as you can. These improvements will go a long way to taking you further in this competition.

Oh yeah, and Special Mechanics aren't ever really suggested, or frowned upon. A special mechanic is something you add in though when you need it to express your character or concept properly, beyond the limits of smash. Never put a special mechanic into a moveset for the sake of having one, and definitely put it in if it makes your moveset flow together better and use ideas you couldn't have before.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Volke: I like this moveset. It's simple, the attacks are all solid, and he just feels refreshing in general, albeit a bit juttery in implementa-- OMG...
OMG!
WHERE IS YOUR FINAL SMASH!?!​

Also... Miracle should probably be guaranteed to happen once per stock, and the damage/knockback mechanic of the F-air should be on the Up-Special (the fact that this assasin's signature attack barely qualifies as a KO move bothers me greatly). N-Air also sounds like it would look kind of wierd to see in Brawl

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Volke

Because I don't feel like holding off all my commentary until the Recap (and since I've commented two other sets already this week), I'll give Volke the quick rundown. First of all, vast, vast improvement from your last set (and I sincerely thank you for not including a page stretching image)...unfortunately, I have some problems here.

The organization looks great really, my only problem is the black font used for the attack names. The first time I looked over the set, I was left wondering why there were no names for the attacks...until I realized that they were just very hard to read. Miracle I don't like; it's very, very luck based and it means that 1/4th of the time, Volke won't die...a miracle is supposed to be a very rare thing; I'd either reduce it's occurance or, as Junahu said, make it a once per stock kinda deal.

As Frf mentioned as well, Neutral B is almost entirely useless; two minutes to be able to be invisible for twenty seconds? And you can still be damaged/KO'd just as easily as normal? You say it's a crucial part of his approach game but...it's almost entirely useless for a good bit of the match. Also a good chunk of the playstyle revolves entirely around the pure luck of Miracle and the fair...which I suppose is suiting enough to have an assassin rely heavily on luck but as far as playstyle goes. . .Oh! And I almost forgot to mention this; you say in the animations/stats that Volke is too 1337 to trip. . .but he auto-trips if he pivots his dash attack o.o;

Overall though aside from my seemingly negative commentary, this is a great, great step up from your previous set. You seem to have the drive to keep improving so that's certainly something. I look forward to seeing your stuff in the future!

And like Junahu said; needs moar Final Smash.

The_Great_Panda

Smash Apprentice
Btw...

Before I forget, there is a question I'd like to ask; is there anyone who can help me make, or show me how to make alternate color images for my upcoming moveset?

It's been bugging me for a while now and for Vent it'll be a big mess describing so much change for 6 forms...

Junahu

Smash Ace
Subaru:
There's no longer any point in stroking your ego with a belated "this is the greatest thing since sliced Dingodile". Though Subaru does deserve pretty much all of its praise.
So instead, have some complaints... or just one complaint.
Wing Road, or rather the subtle details of Wing Road, are badly explained. What's the turning circle of making Wing Road? Is there seriously no limits on length? Can Wing Road cross itself? Can you stand still on Wing Road after you've finished making it? Can the opponent? How does a vertical strip of Wing Road affect the opponent, is it a wall? Can they go through it if they dash when right next to it? Can you stand on the topside of an upside down strip of Wing Road?
This is a similar problem to what I had with Mewtwo's Telekinesis. I simply didn't know enough about the move to make an accurate judgement about its effectiveness (and neither did MW apparantly, since he was convinced it could shut down three campers at once)

Wing Road is also horribly, horribly, horribly broken. So you can literally go anywhere you want, for as long as you want, and create a platform that stays for as long as you want?
...So I travel straight up vertically for as high as I can go without Star KOing, level out and make myself a little perch to stand on. Half the cast can't even reach me now, and the other half will have to resort to their various predictable recoveries. Plus it's a fall-through, so they can't grab the corner of my little platform. Great, now I'm camping as Subaru, how novel.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Plus it's a fall-through, so they can't grab the corner of my little platform. Great, now I'm camping as Subaru, how novel.
Unless you're a certain silver-coloured hedgehog, ehts noe uze heideng frum Cilfer teh Hejhawg. Fall thru platfoarms r Cilfer's specultee; sied telt two deth!

Random Factoid

Page 10 was reached by day three of MYM6.
Page 10 was reached the day after the thread was opened in MYM5.

Can you tell this is a random thread bump?

Shadow5567

Smash Journeyman
Wow....what happened to MYM....8 days and we havnt even reached page ten.....

anyway, I've been workin on a moveset since MYM 3 but don't expect much, it isn't great, I'm just lazy, I hope to see it completed within the month though so look forward to it

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
caterpie​

special attacks

neutral special - awful stink
caterpie raises its head and lets loose an invisible wave that has the radius of a smart bomb. if caught in the wave, foes are immobilized briefly.

forward special - string shot​

caterpie shoots forward a thin line of web. this can be aimed up or down by moving the control stick. if it touches a foe, it'll cling to them, cutting their movement speed by 0.1 for each half second you keep shooting it on them. can stack quickly.

up special - web
caterpie tethers onto the nearest ledge with a string shot. he shoots it both forward and back, making a line that only he can walk on, both back and forth, so it's easier to avoid edgeguarders than with most tethers.

if used on land, you can control how the line is made by moving the control stick, but it only has the length of a platform... but you can make any number of them, so you can overlap them and move around the stage freely from above. they vanish after ten seconds.

down special - cocoon​
caterpie encases himself in a silk shell, and he can use it even if he's on a string. if he stays in it safely for five seconds, he comes out as butterfree, who has a very strong ranged moveset which i'll post separately (later) because it's not the point. he's strong, take my word for it, so pulling this attack off is the whole goal of caterpie's playstyle. even the scrawniest worm can someday emerge from its hole.

regular attacks

jab - tail flick​
caterpie turns around and wags his little tail. while in this stance, he can use his b or any other attack that has him shoot string from behind instead of from his mouth. since this is cancelled quickly, it means you're covered from both sides.

dash attack - sticky feet​
as caterpie crawls along, he leaves small sticky footprints. they disappear quickly, but slow anone who steps in them to a crawl and keep them from jumping until they disappear. these slow anyone chasing you down to your own speed, so caterpie can't be chased everywhere too easily.

forward tilt - tackle​
caterpie bravely charges forward to hit with his head. this attack causes auto-tripping and does 3%.

up tilt - shimmy line​
caterpie shoots a string straight up. until it disappears, he can crawl up or down it any distance.

down tilt - trap door spider​
caterpie spews a blob of web onto the ground, making a small covering that is almost invisible. any foe to lie down or trip on it falls through into a shallow hole, where they're briefly trapped.

smash attacks

forward smash - reel in​
caterpie shoots a string a variable distance forward, but this one has a sticky tip. if it touches a foe or an item, caterpie can pull it or push it back out by moving the control stick. use this to pull them through a sticky trap.

up smash - floating web​
caterpie makes a small web stretched horizontally over his head, attached by the background. if a foe passes through it, they get stuck for a brief period. hide under this to protect from air attacks, it has high priority.

down smash - hidey hole​
caterpie hides in the ground and covers himself with some string shot. he can be dug out by just using a few low attacks, unless he's carefully guarded from all sides by web traps. he can cocoon from in here.

air attacks

neutral air - brave twirl​
caterpie spins like a little top, pulling down any webs or strings as he goes. he also does 6% but he has really bad priority. use this to reset if you need to.

forward air - cucumber​
caterpie throws up.
this makes any string he spews his guts onto sticky if it wasn't already, like the lines from his up b. it also drags foes down to the ground but vanishes too soon to ko them like this.

back air - drop​
caterpie plunges through the air at high speed. if you use this button input while he's on a string, he'll quickly slide down it, or backwards if it's horizontal.

up air - eagle eye​
caterpie shoots a little blob straight up. like he's spiderman it fireworkses into a full web after it goes a certain way, so it catches whoever it touches and drag them down in freefall. use this to stop air attackers and pull them down to your spinnings.

down air - bug bite​
caterpie decides to fight! he turns upside down and opens his wee mouth. if he hits anyone on his way toward the ground, he'll clamp onto them and can try to drag them this way or that. they're usually stronger and can drag him instead, unless they're covered in a lot of string shot.

grabs and throws

grab - angler​
caterpie shoots out a small string, like a tongue, and raises his head. using the control stick, you can make the string wiggle this way or that and try to touch a foe with its sticky end. if you do, he pulls them in toward him, but caterpie can't throw. he can only pummel.

pummel - fasten and secure​
with each pummel, caterpie attaches a string to the foe, connecting them to this spot on the ground. they can't move more than a platform away from it, up or to the sides, unless they break the string by pulling against it for a little bit. the more string you attach to them, the harder it is for them to break free completely, but they can still attack.

super smash attack

super attack - metapod​
caterpie evolves into metapod, keeping all the same attacks. now he is completely resistant to all knockback, but he still takes damage and damage interrupts the cocoon metamorphosis. but, he can makes all the web traps he wants without worrying about being interrupted, and once he's set up he can try to evolve. caterpie hatches out again after twenty seconds, but all the webs you set up stay.

what caterpie does

i'll keep it short. caterpie needs to evolve. he hardly does damage and has no way to ko unless he gets very very lucky with an aerial. his whole moveset is based around how to keep the opponent still for long enough for you to metamorphose into butterfree, who is very strong and almost overpowered. every stock, you need to do it all over again.

caterpie can move around, all right. he needs to use his up special to make a sort of web that only he can walk on, moving all over the stage and dropping off only to set traps. he can also make shimmy lines to climb way high up, away from foes, to evolve in safety, but since he climbs as slow as he runs, you need to make sure they're trapped anyway.

to trap, you need to layer your webs. just above a hole, set a floating web, then a shimmy line made sticky, then use your awful stink to stun them while you reel them through the first part of your trap and force them to pass through all of them to get to you. these are just some of the tricks, because caterpie has tons of them. his playstyle is very open, you get to do things however you want.

i can't say anything about koing, because he can't do it. can't say anything about damaging. survival is hard. you're so, so light. you need to use mobility, you need to stay out of reach, and you need to bury yourself every once in a while. bury yourself just under a few floating webs after you've stacked some string shots onto the foe to slow them down.

caterpie is a miserable specimen. he can't fight. all he can do is shoot bits of string and wait for the inevitable day when he... grows up.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Woot, Caterpie! so much for that moveset idea

Interesting premise for a moveset (and I eagerly await uber-Butterfree), and beyond that, interesting concept for a character. Mmm, that's pretty much all I can say at this point. :bee:

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
caterpie

caterpie was a pretty interesting set. the idea was a good example of taking a tactic to an extreme; you take the waiting to evolve mechanic and make the most of it, making it so that it is truly all caterpie can do. butterfree is just an extra feature, simply the reward at the end for evolving caterpie.

at first, i was disappointed by the lack of butterfree in the set proper (the fact that you said you'd have butterfree in there only made it worse), but i can see how it's not the focus of the set. it doesn't hurt you though that by not including butterfree you don't actually have to do any work with balancing it or making it creative either.

i do believe that this set could have been much better with butterfree involved had you put it in originally, but the set itself is an idea, and an idea good enough that i am, much to my own surprise, actually willing to accept this as a good, serious set.

ugh. what's wrong with me?

Wizzerd

Smash Ace

you've warmed my heart, k.rool. <3 caterpie. though I must wonder what happened to the little blurb at the end that was on there originally. anyway, it's an interesting direction to take a set in.

I liked Caterpie. I found the fact that he manages to fight a little, despite his shortcomings, gave him a personality of sorts, which I like to see in characters....

...wow I'm awful at comments...

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Woot, Caterpie! so much for that moveset idea

Interesting premise for a moveset (and I eagerly await uber-Butterfree), and beyond that, interesting concept for a character. Mmm, that's pretty much all I can say at this point. :bee:
Hey, filip! Great to see you in here once in a while! :bee:

Glad you liked it!

caterpie

caterpie was a pretty interesting set. the idea was a good example of taking a tactic to an extreme; you take the waiting to evolve mechanic and make the most of it, making it so that it is truly all caterpie can do. butterfree is just an extra feature, simply the reward at the end for evolving caterpie.
So glad you caught that, meanie.

at first, i was disappointed by the lack of butterfree in the set proper (the fact that you said you'd have butterfree in there only made it worse), but i can see how it's not the focus of the set. it doesn't hurt you though that by not including butterfree you don't actually have to do any work with balancing it or making it creative either.
It's not truly a case of laziness, because Butterfree is plenty interesting enough to make for a creative set. Thing is, this was to be a Caterpie set - also meant to be as short a moveset as I could possibly make - and I couldn't see any way to make a Caterpie set without having him transform at some point. It's his whole raison d'etre, after all. To keep the focus, I gave up Butterfree - just like how I linked in Zant's secondary set rather than putting it in the set proper. It's an afterthought.

i do believe that this set could have been much better with butterfree involved had you put it in originally, but the set itself is an idea, and an idea good enough that i am, much to my own surprise, actually willing to accept this as a good, serious set.

ugh. what's wrong with me?
You've got an open mind, is all. ;)

I read Caterpie and I liked it. I especially like how it shot web and evolved.
I like that part, too :chuckle:

EDIT: Awww, glad to hear that, Wiz. I meant to make a likable set, glad that worked out. The blurb's gone for the sake of experimental integrity.

EDIT2: Thanks, Shino! Don't worry about it too much, every take on a moveset is worthwhile. It takes all sorts, right?

Katapultar

Smash Lord
[size=+3]Caterpie[/size]
It's funny because some of the sentences don't begin with capitals, which is deliberate and funny. I like it. The intended rookie writing is pretty much the best thing about this set.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
It's not truly a case of laziness, because Butterfree is plenty interesting enough to make for a creative set. Thing is, this was to be a Caterpie set - also meant to be as short a moveset as I could possibly make - and I couldn't see any way to make a Caterpie set without having him transform at some point. It's his whole raison d'etre, after all. To keep the focus, I gave up Butterfree - just like how I linked in Zant's secondary set rather than putting it in the set proper. It's an afterthought.
Oh I didn't mean to imply that it was laziness!

I simply meant to state that by not putting Butterfree in, you didn't have to worry with balance issues or detract from the point that was supposed to wow us. It was a tactical removal. This way, we have no way to criticize those potential weaknesses! (SMIRK)

Frf

Smash Apprentice
caterpie is a simple set. but it has a lot of depth if you read a bit more carefully. the playstyle is neat and different and caterpie would be fun to play as. i don't mind if you post butterfree because caterpie is awesome either way.

and this is your obligatory first gen set of the contest, albeit a well made one.

(I love this writing style for some odd reason....)

Plorf

Smash Apprentice
✖[COLOR=#gray]ONIX[/COLOR]

INFO

Onix is a first generation Pokémon, its type being rock and ground. It's a giant rock-snake thing that everyone seems to think is fail tier. When you think about it, though, it doesn't make sense, so this here is a more logical Onix.

Onix is a very large character, but that doesn't make him a pit lord like Valozarg. Instead he's just broken beyond all belief. Sorry. Anyway, he has somewhat of a mechanic. Each of his segments takes individual knockback, though they stay connected to the rest of him. That means that, should someone hit his midsection, it'll bulge out rather than making his whole body flinch. Quite nice, and quite broken too. What fun! That also makes him virtually unstoppable, especially considering grabs are impossible and attacks mostly don't cut it.

When you move Onix around, you'll find that simply rotating the control stick around will turn his head in a direction, the rest of his body following. Combined with this is Onix's solidity-- he can't be passed through without dodging. He's so big that, if lying flat on the ground, he can be a stage. Onix also pitfalls anyone under him if he falls onto them, complete with the 10%. As a side note, Onix is damaged by water, but not pushed back. He's a very interesting character to use.

STAT

SIZE ✖ 40/10
Onix has a similar size and shape to Rayquaza.

WEIGHT ✖ 40/10
He's also pretty damn hard to kill. Don't compare these stats with Valozarg though...

POWER ✖ 11/10
Of course Onix has power, what are you talking about?

GROUND SPEED ✖ 10/10
This is tricky. Due to his size, he can cover a lot of ground, especially underground, but if Onix was small, he'd be very slow.

AIR SPEED ✖ 1/10
Onix doesn't fly...

ATTACK SPEED ✖ 1/10
Onix's attacks are extremely telegraphed, but avoiding them is quite difficult.

FALLING SPEED ✖ 10/10
Very very fast fall speed. Gravity does its duty.

RANGE ✖ 10/10
While Onix doesn't really have projectiles, his melee range is by far the best in the game.

PRIORITY ✖ 10/10
It's not so much that Onix's attacks have priority, it's that attacking him won't necessarily interrupt him.

JUMPS ✖ 1/10
Onix? Jumping? Hahahaha. He can get off the ground higher by building up momentum from below, but honestly Onix shoudn't do a lot of jumping.

RECOVERY ✖ 10/10
What?! How is this so? Well you see, Onix's body is the biggest tether in the game. If his mouth is near the edge, it'll grab.

SPECIAL

DOWN SPECIAL ✖ DIG
This is way cool. Onix dives head-first into the ground, his tail following suit. At this point you're free to control him throughout the stage. You can poke your head through final destination to avoid projectiles and such. Your tail is quite vulnerable while you're digging, but fortunately that doesn't stop Onix.

Anyway, just imagine giant rock snake hiding inside Hyrule. That's pretty scary, especially when he can trap you between himself and the stage. If someone doesn't dodge around him while he does that, they'll take about 12% and decent knockback. This part's cool: pressing A prompts Onix to open his mouth, grabbing anyone in the way.

That segues into pulling them through the stage, them taking constant damage as long as you're moving underground. Holes you leave will affect opponents, so they an actually fall through a stage in theory. The tunnels will heal after some time though. You stay in digging mode until your body is entirely above ground, being able to use any move while digging. Very fun move, very important too.

NEUTRAL SPECIAL ✖ PURSUIT
Onix can find it just a bit difficult trying to keep up with the opponent's movement, due to their ability to dodge and shield and whatnot. Onix's answer to this is homing in on the nearest foe with his head, slightly quickening his speed. This is especially noticeable underground, since his head will pop up right by the opponent. If you're not satisfied with your heading, you can adjust it manually, though it's always more effective to cancel into full manual.

This flows rather nicely into a grab, or one of your beastly standard attacks. The extra speed provided by this move also aids your jump, if you angle upwards of course. That allows you to use an aerial on an enemy with better vertical height, though Onix will still drop to the ground immediately. It's funny how such a simple move can be so useful for a giant rock serpent.

SIDE SPECIAL ✖ ROCK THROW
While boring through ground, Onix doesn't just make the earth disappear, magically. It has to go somewhere. Onix will eat it up as he goes along, and when it comes down to it, he can spit up dirt and such on command. Simply put, Onix spits up a rock and throws it wherever you choose with a good deal of lag. Rocks obviously obey gravity, so they'll at max travel a Battlefield length. Rocks deal 16% and good knockback, then shatter.

Onix can't hold infinite ammunition. He must keep burrowing to continue to use this move. A quick dip in soil, going fully in and fully out, gives Onix about five shots perhaps. Conversely, he can't hold too much, either. Onix is not able to carry more than ten shots at a time, which is not so crippling, really. Extra ammunition does actually weigh something, so this can actually be used defensively. Items can also be thrown with this, being picked up through a grab.

Without any sort of ammunition, Onix simply roars in anger, though due to his immense size, this has a decent pushback effect. It's not laggy, and doesn't have a crippling duration or anything like that. So yes, in addition to being able to KO ridiculously early, Onix can also gimp.

UP SPECIAL ✖ BIND
While Onix's grab game needs no boosting, he knows no bounds. He'll go right ahead and use his tail to seize the nearest foe automatically. While this doesn't have great range (for him), it's quite good at telling people off. Anyway, when he's holding someone, he can perform any move on them, including a standard grab. Moreover, he can use his physical moves to great effect, especially the aerials he'd likely be unable to pull off. The grab is escapable, though it takes a great deal of effort to break loose.

While snatching enemies up with your tail is a bit slow, its payoff is immense. It's practically an instant KO if you grab someone with this at moderate percents. Can you see now why Onix is broken? This kind of power cannot be argued with, really. I'll apologize to every lightweight character in advance, since they especially stand little to no chance.

STANDARD

NEUTRAL ATTACK ✖ TWISTER
Did you know that Onix was in the previous two Smash Bros. games? He was a Pokéball in 64, and a balloon in Poké Floats. In his Melee incarnation, his float rotated its segments individually, so Onix liked that and brought it back. He spins his segments around instantly, this being his fastest move. He'll keep twisting about as long as you hold A, making his body suddenly a hitbox that deals a weak hit of around 6% and average knockback, though it's hell if you trap someone in between you and the stage while spinning. That's actually its main use, since people will generally want to stay far, far away from Onix.

FORWARD TILT ✖ HEADBUTT
Onix is not a very complex character. As such, he doesn't have very complex attacks. One of his is a basic lunge, followed by an immediate fall. It'll hit foes a decent ways out, his head doing about 19% and good knockback. Remember Onix's ability to aim and home in opponents, however. This attack gets very annoying very fast, and although it has awful end lag, it's just so difficult to dodge. Great to use out of a Bind.

UPWARD TILT ✖ GIGA IMPACT
Onix makes himself a pillar, stretching out to his absolute maximum height. His tail is a bit difficult to balance on, so he'll fall in the direction you aim or, if you don't do anything, he'll just drop in front of him. Note that since this is entirely using gravity, Onix doesn't do any damage. Due to his large body, however, this has horrifying range and power, capable of pitfalling everyone on the field. If you're rooted in the ground by your tail, this is an impossibly cheap spike, as well. Jolly good fun.

DOWNWARD TILT ✖ IRON TAIL
Predictably, Onix lifts up his tail for this move, it doing about 16% and nice upwards knockback. It has decently fast startup but, as usual, hefty end lag. The interesting part is that Onix can hold up his tail indefinitely. Since his tail is probably his least important area, it can easily block attacks and shots from doing anything that's not laughable. I guess it's a shield, but it's not a transition into any sort of grab or anything, just spam guard.

DASH ATTACK ✖ TACKLE
Onix does not really have a lot of momentum under normal conditions. When he's moving normally on the ground, he'll just flail forward, his body doing about 17% and good knockback. It's a lot more useful underground, though, since Onix is a great deal faster there. If used under the surface, Onix leaps out of the ground like a trick dolphin and hits opponents for 20% and higher knockback before plunging back in. Moderate lag on either end, but again, just try and interrupt it.

SMASH

FORWARD SMASH ✖ TAKE DOWN
Onix is really really heavy. By that logic, throwing his weight around really, really, hurts. With heaps of lag, the giant hefts his body forward with his head generally leading the attack. As you probably have guessed, this has obscene knockback, rather like a Warlock Punch. Unlike that move, however, this is not easily interruptible, due to Onix's huge forward momentum and large hitbox. The move's damage ranges from about 35% uncharged to 55% fully charged, with even more obscene knockback. Yikes.

UPWARD SMASH ✖ STONE EDGE
That spike on Onix's head is pretty useful and also really deadly. Onix leaps upward in an arcing motion, his head spike acting as the sweetspot here. That will do some fantastic knockback, again like a Warlock Punch, coupled with 34%. The rest of the hitbox just does 28% and lowly Ike FSmash knockback. That's the uncharged version by the way. There's still a fair share of lag to cope with in this attack, but that should be no problem considering you only use this move to hit opponents who are somewhat far away from you. In fact, if the opponent positions themselves right, they can duck completely under Onix.

This attack and the previous are both great to use while underground, since the hitboxes will pop up out of nowhere to just eradicate anything standing near Onix. The USmash especially has killer range, and is now even easier to hit with. Scary stuff, I'm telling you.

DOWNWARD SMASH ✖ MAGNITUDE
Now here's a bad thought. You know how Onix basically controls the stage anyway? Well he does that even more here, by smashing the ground below him with minimum range of a platform on either side of him. Uncharged it's somewhat laggy, but it's easier to deal with than most of his moves. Anyway, if Onix charges this move (which he will), he'll spin his head, first off, that's the charging animation which also does multi-hit damage.

Upon reaching the ground, his head creates an impact that can reach up to a Final Destination on either side. Oh yes, technicalities. The shockwave ranges from 16% with moderate knockback to 32% with nice knockback. Onix's head is a bit more powerful, pitfalling foes and adding 20% plus the 10% for pitfall to the enemy's damage counter. Long story short, ranged characters don't like Onix because of this.

AERIAL

NEUTRAL AERIAL ✖ RAGE
Onix just flips out. He's kind of a grumpy Pokémon, you know, and gets all the more irritated the more you hit him. All that rage pent up inside can turn into a powerful force, though, so this move has him flail about for a moment, knocking back anyone in his vicinity with 13% and decent knockback. That doesn't sound very scary to me...

Yeah, so the NAir gains power the more Onix is hit, so if you're at, say, 300%, it'll do about 35% and superb knockback. I'll forewarn you about Onix's aerial game in general, though: it's really best used out of a Dig, since you'll never get high up in the air without some momentum first. In any case, Onix continues the move upon reaching the ground, so it's all good. Low lag too.

FORWARD AERIAL ✖ SLAM
Onix is really, really massive. Here, he stretches out to his full length, which is absolutely ridiculous, making his body a giant impassible object for a moment. Of course, that also means that Onix will pitfall any poor soul that comes between him and the ground, which is an area covering an obscene amount of space. You can gimp with this move, too, by using this near enough to an edge. There's a heaping pile of end lag, but during it you can angle your body so as to prevent anyone from recovering. You little pest, Onix.

BACKWARD AERIAL ✖ TAIL WHIP
The huge rock snake whips out his tail, and whips people with it. Very straightforward. It's a long duration, each whip of the tail doing 10% and some good knockback, though at low percents it will chain into itself. As per usual, Onix continues this move upon landing, further cementing it as a GTFO move, not that Onix needs any. Oh yeah, and thanks to Onix being huge, the tail has ridiculously ridiculous range. Just great.

UPWARD AERIAL ✖ DOUBLE-EDGE
Onix, using his massive stone crest one final time, delivers a piercing blow above him, with great range to boot. It does 21% and excellent knockback, even with low lag. What a great kill move! If your foe is above you, they are completely dead.

It's called double edge for a reason, though, right? Of course, Onix should very well take recoil damage from this as punishment. He doesn't, though, thanks to Pokémon logic. His ability, Rock Head, makes it so that he receives no recoil damage for this move whatsoever. Really, Onix? REALLY?

DOWNWARD AERIAL ✖ EARTHQUAKE
Onix, eager to get down to earth even faster, dips his head down and slams it against the ground (you're not using this over a pit, are you...?). This creates a large shockwave that goes out a couple of platforms to either side. Contact with Onix's head during this small window of time gives you a spike and 20% damage, a nice bonus if you are able to spike near an edge but not off of it.

Getting hit by the shockwave catapults you into the air, though, and if that doesn't kill you, Onix's USmash or UAir will. The shockwave does 14% as well. As you may have guessed, there is some nasty end lag, but who cares? You're ONIX. :|

GRAB

GRAB ✖ BITE
Onix here opens his maw wide and lunges in the direction you point him to along with the Z button. This is a bit tricky to aim, due to the lag involved, but it has more range than average grabs, by a long shot. Onix can reach out longer than any tether grab just with his body alone.

This grab reaps benefits from Onix's NSpec, since when you don't have to aim, grabbing gets a whole lot easier. Well, now that Onix has an overpowered grab, that makes it a little less fun for the opponent.

PUMMEL ✖ CRUNCH
As the case is with most pummels, Onix really has no strings attached. Each press of A will get you 7%, it being about as slow as Mario's pummel.

THROW ✖ SEISMIC TOSS
Onix's throws work a little differently from most characters. All of his throws are the same move, only in a different direction. However, Onix is not limited to the four cardinal directions, rather being able to throw in every direction you can tilt. That leaves a lot more freedom for Onix to throw exactly where he wants. Throws do 17% and nice knockback.

SUPER

FINAL SMASH ✖ ROCK SLIDE

There's no mechanic booster here, none of that nonsense. Onix simply travels to the top of the screen and mimics his SSB64 incarnation. For those of you who don't remember, Onix drops rock segments from his body, covering the entire screen with them. In Brawl, that gets a bit buffed. Onix will stretch out to measure the width of the entire screen, then drop boulders from his own body at an alarming rate. This ends up being as chaotic as Lucas's PK Starstorm, it being pretty similar.

Boulders that fall on you will either spike you or shatter on top of your head, breaking any sort of shield or guard and doing 25% and good knockback. The key difference from PK Starstorm is a bit odd: boulders obey physics, not passing through platforms and whatnot. They can also be hit to be moved around, as well as be used as ammo for Rock Throw once the final smash is over. Over the course of ten seconds, tons of boulders will fall, making even Hyrule Temple a madhouse. Onix then returns to normal, falling from the ceiling.

PLAYSTYLE

Playing as Onix would be more difficult if you were anything but what you are, but your being overpowered makes it very simple to pick up Onix. It takes a bit more skill to be really good at him, since if you really have skill as him you play dittos or something. Your basic strategy usually involves a lot of burrowing, not necessarily to hide, but to extract rock from the soil so as to barrage foes with projectiles.

Onix does feel very comfortable up close, though, since his moves simply outclass the enemy's in every way. Grabbing and throwing, while perhaps a bit trickier to hit than other moves, is a great spacing tool as the case is with most characters. Onix's definition of spacing involves a lot more distance, though, so follow up with either Rock Throw, or another long-range move, such as Magnitude/Earthquake or Giga Impact.

If you're feeling like a little bugger, try and trap the foe inside you with your Neutral Combo. You can rack up some damage and then briskly KO the foe with a smash or an aerial or something. Digging around is generally being a nuisance, so obviously use it as much as possible.

Speaking of aerials, they are actually usable, in moderation. Provided you built up momentum from digging at mach speed, Onix can easily overwhelm the foe with a NAir or FAir, then go for a KO with an UAir or BAir. Onix's riskiest move perhaps is a DAir, due to its spiking properties. If you really feel like humouring your enemies, go for a spike with that, but you have a good chance of SDing if the opponent so much as shoves your head off the ledge.

All hope is not lost if you do fall off somehow, since you may still aim Onix's head at a ledge, or dig into the side of the stage and get a sneaky USmash in. The chances that you do get off the edge don't come until very late in the game, however. Onix is just so large that he won't even be at a real disadvantage in Sudden Death.

In summary, there isn't a lot to Onix. Apart from the occasional mindgame or tricky use of Dig or some other shenanigan, such as gimping, it's quite easy to win as Onix. Of course, in free-for-all battles and other similar situations, such as capture the flag, the opposition WILL single out Onix and take him down nine times out of ten. That's where you really have to shine as an Onix player, adapting to your environment and using it to your advantage.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Caterpie

Simple, short, sweet, and to the point. I like that. I really like how you linked the moveset with a fitting writing style - especially when I saw adjectives like 'wee'. Theres not much to say, all in all its a solid set, but I just have one gripe. The neutral-b seems to be more of a 'forward-b-type' move, while the reverse is also true. I probably would switch the two, but that's just me.

(oh, and btw, i'm a newcomer :D you stole my idea of a character that can pummel but cant throw :mad: imma hafta change it around somehow)

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
(oh, and btw, i'm a newcomer :D you stole my idea of a character that can pummel but cant throw :mad: imma hafta change it around somehow)
That idea wasn't Rool's first anyways. The moveset that won the last competition used that too! Don't worry though, there's nothing wrong with using the idea. Good luck with your first moveset.

JOE!

Smash Hero
so, what does the Up B do again when it's on stage? The same as string shot...or...?

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
MORTON KOOPA JR.

Morton’s one of seven Koopalings, the children of Bowser. They appeared in Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Yoshi’s Safari as bosses, though the other media they appeared in was possibly what led to their being cut out of the Mario series. . .Super Mario Bros. Super Show? Mario is Missing? HOTEL MARIO?!? Really? They eventually came back in generic roles in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, though their most notable comeback is in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Why’d Bowser lock up the Koopalings for so long while Bowser Jr. got to suck up to his father? Who knows. Perhaps Jr. is Bowser’s only real child? In any case, poor Morton is without a doubt adopted, regardless of whether all seven Koopalings are universally. His shell/skin color, unique birth mark, and his name all point to him coming from another Koopa. If Morton really was Bowser’s son, the Koopa King would be Morton Sr. In any case, the locking up of the Koopalings hasn’t left them unscarred. Lemmy shriveled up into nothing. Iggy couldn’t take it and went insane, becoming a psychopath. Morton, however, was hit the hardest. The long time spent in isolation turned Morton from a pushover blabbermouth into a mindless killing machine.

STATS

Weight: 8
Size: 7.5
Falling Speed: 7
Power: 5
Attack Speed: 5
Priority: 5
Traction: 4
Range: 3.5
Aerial Movement: 3.5
Recovery: 3
Jumps: 2.5
Movement: 2

Surprisingly for the most part Morton has a relatively average set of stats. The only part of the typical heavyweight that really caries over to him is the weight and movement. So. . .What’s the guy do if he can’t KO or damage rack? Well, he can do both quite well, but it relies on his ability to trap and stun the foe. His recovery is one of those obligatory situational recoveries. Unlike the standard portal recovery, though, he actually needs it do other things, thus he’ll be caught off-guard without a recovery more often.

SPECIALS

UP SPECIAL – Doom Pillars
Morton undergoes no animation for this move and can use other attacks immediately, though a slight warning sign briefly flashes above Morton at the top of the screen and a sound clip plays to telegraph the move. Half a second later, two pillars as wide as his father come down from the top of the screen and hastily drop down onto the ground on either side of Morton, reaching all the way to the top of the screen. There's around the space of 1.5X Bowser's width in the middle of the two pillars. If there’s no ground, they go off the bottom blast zone. The bottoms of the pillars are spiking hitboxes as powerful as Ganon’s dair, and if they hit anyone on the ground they’re trapped underneath the pillar until it retracts.

The pillars stay where they are for 5 seconds and are completely solid. While this would make it an easy way to gimp, the spiky sides of the pillars deal 5% and weak set upward knockback, meaning they can just juggle themselves on the pillars to regain their extra jumps until the pillars retract. So. . .How is this a recovery? It isn’t. Fascinating. Once the pillars retract, you can’t bring them back down for 12 seconds.

If you input this move before the pillars come down but after the warning appears, you’ll delay their coming down by another half second. You can keep delaying the move as long as you want, and there’ll be no warning as to when the pillars come down. The foe will still know –where- they’re going to come down from the initial warning, though, so they’ll still generally stay the hell away.

SIDE SPECIAL – Shell Charge
Morton tucks into his shell in what’s essentially a clone of Squirtle’s Side B, thankfully complete with the low lag. The hitbox is much larger and Morton absorbs projectiles, but it keeps in tact the horrendous power of Squirtle’s version, surprisingly. 4% and horribly weak knockback. This allows you to bypass your horrible movement, if nothing else.

If you use this move into a wall, you’ll ricochet off of it and go back in the opposite direction at double the speed and power. This maxes out after 4 ricochets for 32%, knockback that kills at 70%, and 1.2X Sonic’s run speed. Morton can keep this up as long as you want, but he’ll probably run out of stage before then and he slides forward a good bit as he comes out of it if he’s at high speeds.

Obviously the main way to use this is with your Doom Pillars. Gain some speed, then launch out at the foe when the pillars retract. That or even better, trap the foe inside the pillars with you. If this is used in the air you can angle this slightly upward and downward, allowing this to be a godly recovery as you climb your way up the pillars, ricocheting back and forth.

NEUTRAL SPECIAL – Fireball
Morton starts taking a deep-breath, rearing his head back for as long as you hold the button. This has a very slight suction effect on foes, but this part of the move has no hitbox. Once you release the button, he spits forward a single fireball with identical properties to Mario’s, though it homes in on foes. Unfortunately, it can be reflected by any attack in a Zelda-esque fashion.

While Morton is taking a deep breath at the start of an attack, he can absorb his own fireballs, so if the foe sends a fireball back at you they’ll just have a larger volley to deal with. If you’re too lazy to send them back yourself, you can always just let your Doom Pillar reflect them seeing the fireballs ricochet off walls.

DOWN SPECIAL – Claw Extension
Morton extends out his claws for as long as you hold the button. This takes as long as it does for Diddy to drop 2 banana peels to fully charge. You can make his claws extend out less by letting go of the button early, and if you press the button input when the claws are extended out their maximum they’ll retract. This largely affects his tilts. . .

STANDARDS

NEUTRAL A – Shell Shield
Morton turns around and juts out his shell like Bowser does in his bair. Around the same starting lag as said move, but no end lag. Deals 7% and knockback that KOs at 200%. More importantly, you can hold out this move indefinitely to abuse the disjointed priority to absorb projectiles. Coming out of this has no end lag, and there’s still a hitbox on the move that deals 4% and flinching. A shame most of those disjointed swords can reach past your shell and hit you, but this destroys jointed priority.

FORWARD TILT – Grinding Slash
Morton slashes forward with absolutely laughable range, average priority, 8%, knockback that kills at 200%, and as much lag as Wario’s ftilt. It might see some use if not for the range, but the Down Special can increase the length of your claws to reach out as far as Bowser’s ftilt. Unfortunately only the tip of the claws are a hitbox. . .But they’re a grab hitbox, and they still do 8% as they grab the foe. Very nice indeed, but this has tether like properties in that there’s horrible ending lag as you wait for your claws to retract after use (You don't have to re-extend them with Down Special, though). Furthermore, if a foe hits your claws as they’re retracting or with a disjointed attack as you bring them out, they’ll shatter and you'll have to use Down Special again.

If you use this move with your claws extended against a Doom Pillar, you’ll grind your claws against them and cause the pillar to start spinning around. Anyone trapped under the pillars will take 10 hits of 1% per second, though this shreds Morton’s extended claws away, shredding fully extended claws after 3 seconds.

UP TILT – Handstand
Morton does a handstand. Needless to say this is awkwardly laggy for someone as inflexible as Morton, and the little stumps that are legs have laughable priority and only do 4% with pathetic set knockback.

If Morton has his claws extended, though, he’ll use them as stilts as he performs the handstand. . .Of course, they’re not nearly strong enough to support his weight, causing them to shatter as he falls back down with a thunderous crash, having superarmor as he does so. This does 18-26% based on how far he fell, and if his claws were at least halfway extended he’ll pitfall the foe. This version of the move has less starting lag but horrible end-lag, meaning your time to capitalize on the pitfalled foe is minimal.

DOWN TILT – Skewer
Morton turns to face the camera/background, then smacks both arms out to both sides for properties identical to the slash in the ftilt but slightly weaker. With extended claws, his claws become grab hitboxes on both sides reaching out potentially as far as Bowser’s ftilt, though like Morton’s ftilt the claws have to retract after he grabs giving the move bad ending lag (Though, again, he doesn't have to re-extend them with Down Special). This also has a decent bit more starting lag then the ftilt. Foes can shatter your claws in the same manner as the ftilt. It’s possible to grab 2 foes with this move, but you can still only throw one at a time meaning one will probably escape while you’re throwing the other.

DASHING ATTACK – Temper Tantrum
Morton starts stomping forward as if he’s having a temper-tantrum, doing exaggerated strides. This makes him go a bit slower then his regular dash speed, but every time he stomps down anybody on the same platform within half of Final Destination in front of him will take a brief bit of hitstun. It’s not nearly enough to actually take advantage of, but Morton’s next stomp will come down just as the previous stomp’s hitstun expires. While this isn’t one of those “keep running” dash attacks, this move cancels into itself very, very well due to very low lag. The only downside is the long duration. If Morton actually stomps a foe, they’ll take vertical knockback and 6% and Morton will laglessly come out of the temper tantrum. What it can do, though, is give you a good approach as the foe is unable to do anything as you make your way up to them. Morton will stop this attack with a good bit of lag if he comes to a wall or edge, so don’t think you can just stomp in place to do infinites.

SMASHES

FORWARD SMASH – Headbutt
Morton slams his head down in front of him with the starting lag of Ike’s fsmash and the range of Wario’s fsmash with decent priority. This is Morton’s most powerful move, dealing 23-32% and knockback that kills at 95-65%. The ending lag is nastily high, meaning you can't afford to whiff this move. This should see very conservative use – only to finish a foe you’ve stunned.

UP SMASH – Flame Wheel
Morton rears back slightly for the move, then breathes a wheel of flame out of his mouth roughly Wario’s size. The flame wheel goes up 1-5X Ganondorf’s height based on charge and deals 10% and average set knockback on contact. The flame wheel steadily goes down at 25% Jigglypuff’s falling speed, horizontally homing towards the nearest foe at the speed of Ganon’s walk. It vanishes upon making contact with the ground, meaning charging is necessary to make this useful, making the low lag rather meaningless unless you’re sending it an off-stage foe. The charged version is more useful to try to encourage foes to stay out of the air, and it won’t vanish upon dealing it’s damage either. You can only have one flame wheel out at a time.

DOWN SMASH - Earthquake
Morton leaps Ganondorf’s height into the air during the charging animation, then rotates around 3 times in mid-air as you continue to charge. This awkward charging allows him to dodge some attacks and makes it easier to charge, but it’s still too laggy to use normally. Upon releasing the charge Morton falls down to the ground, causing the stage in front of and behind him to suddenly bulge out upwards in a cartoony fashion and travel forward/backward.

The amount of these land masses depends on how many times Morton rotated, 1 in each direction per rotation. The shockwaves are Peach’s size and travel at Bowser’s dash speed half of Battlefield. They deal 10% and a good bit of hitstun each. The last shockwave in each set does knockback that kills at 160% rather then the hitstun. These can go “under” walls and such due to them not being true projectiles as well as destroying underground traps/hitting underground characters. This means you can charge the move safely inside your two doom pillars then watch as all hell breaks loose as they go under the pillars and hit the foe.

AERIALS

NEUTRAL AERIAL – Shell Block
Morton turns to face away from the screen, then juts out his shell backwards towards the camera. This has low starting lag and creates a large disjointed hitbox that does 11% and knockback that kills at 170%. Morton continues to hold his shell out for a awkwardly long time afterwards as he stays in the stance, the shell not being a lingering hitbox. However; it’s solid like a wall and the shell absorbs any and all attacks. This move has no landing lag and can interrupt the move early, meaning this is a good move to encourage the foe to get out of the air seeing they can’t hurt you there. The main thing preventing you from spamming this to stall is the awkward lag on Morton’s first jump. Attempting to use the wall-effect of Morton’s shell to edge-guard is possible, but will likely lead to a self-destruct due to the stupidly long duration of the move.

FORWARD AERIAL – Wall Walker
Morton goes on his back mid-air quickly so that his feet face forwards, then kicks forwards for a move as fast Dedede’s bair with enough worse range, much less priority, and only 7% and weak knockback that KOs at 220%. Assuming Morton actually hits someone with this, he’ll do somewhat of a horizontal footstool, getting propelled backwards a bit.

If this is used against any form of wall (Even a ledge) Morton will cling onto it and start walking up it like his Super Mario World boss fight. This allows you to climb up your Doom Pillars much faster then with Side Special. While climbing, you can just jump off regularly of instantly cancel the move into dair by pressing A or B. You can’t cling to ceilings directly, but if you walk up a wall to reach a ceiling Morton will turn onto it. Yes, this can be used to go under the stage, but due to Morton being unable to cling to ceilings directly and having to constantly keep going forward he won’t be able to stall for long.

BACK AERIAL – Impale
Morton performs Bowser’s bair with worse range due to his size, then proceeds to turn downwards. Morton’s shell is a lingering grab hitbox all the while that impales foes on his spikes and deals 8%. The turning has an awkward bit of lag here. Whether he grabbed someone or not, Morton proceeds to do a very fast stall-then fall. If he still hasn’t grabbed anyone, his shell is still a hitbox here. Obviously this can be a suicide KO, but if you hit the ground you’ll pitfall the foe and deal a meaty 20% to them. If you miss, though, you’ll impale your shell into the ground and have to button mash out as if you were caught in a grab, leaving you laughably punishable. If nothing else, your shell is a disjointed hitbox as it goes underground that does 15% and high knockback which can destroy traps and slumbering Sloths, as well as defend against attacks coming from underground like Lightweight Female Protagonist/Gluttony’s fsmash.

UP AERIAL – 360 Slash
Morton slashes upwards, leaning forward in mid-air as he does so then eventually doing a full 360 to face forwards again. This has low lag with mediocre range and priority and only deals 6% and knockback that KOs at 200%. What’s notable about the move is that it takes Morton as far as Link’s Up B, giving him an alternate recovery to the highly gimpable Side B when he can’t use his Doom Pillars to help him recover. Unfortunately with each immediate repeated use Morton spins a bit farther then a 360 due to gaining momentum, causing him to have extra ending lag as he gets himself into a regular position, meaning he’ll eventually lose more air then he gains by performing this move (The 2nd use barely gains him any air-time, the 3rd use is futile). With extended claws from Morton’s Down Special this move gains some range and disjointed priority, but during the end lag foes can shatter Morton’s claws like with his tilts. More importantly, extended claws can help his recovery by functioning as a tether.

DOWN AERIAL – Ground Pound
Morton turns to face the screen and extends his arms out wide, then near instantly falls to the ground. While his fall speed is insanely fast, you still have control over his aerial DI, unlike the standard stall then fall. His body has generic spiking power/priority as he goes down. Once he hits the ground, he’ll stun anyone on the current platform for damage and hitstun variable based on how high he was when he iniated the move. If he used both his jumps, it’ll be 8% and a seconds of hitstun. If he’s up, say, 4.5X Ganondorf’s height, it’ll be 25% and 4 seconds of hitstun. While this hitstun might sound very scary, the only way Morton’s gonna get that high is by using his Side Special in-between his Pillars and then dropping down, meaning most of the time the foe’s stunned he’ll be trapped between the pillars. This goes straight through dodges, meaning foes –must- jump to avoid it.

THROWS

GRAB – Standard
Nothing to see here. It’s a rather mediocre grab with properties similar to Ganondorf’s, but it at least gives him the option to grab at all with unextended claws.

PUMMEL – Slam
Morton grabs the foe by their hands, then spins around as he hefts them over himself briefly and slams them down behind himself. 5% and the laggiest pummel in the game. Causes Morton to turn around.

FORWARD THROW – Butt Slam
See Dedede’s dthrow. 6%. This can chain-grabs against Doom Pillars, and while you have far better options when inside a pair of doom pillars with a foe, if you missed and you’re both next to a single pillar chain-grabbing them against it wouldn’t be a half-bad idea. This can’t chain-grab against regular walls due to the spikes on Morton’s Doom Pillars giving the foe enough hitstun for Morton to re-grab which regular walls lack.

BACK THROW – Armlock
Morton keeps his grip on the foe as he turns around to hold them in a sort of awkward reverse grab, then spins around to get the foe behind the position he was originally facing in typical bthrow fashion. Morton proceeds to fall down backwards to impale the foe on the spikes of his shell for 7%, still keeping his arms linked with the foe, leaving you both lying on the ground together. From here, both you and the foe can get up normally or use a rising attack to get out of the grip, but if either of you chooses to roll Morton will hang on and deal an additional 8% to the foe as they roll about with his spikes impaled in their back. Afterwards you’ll separate and get up, facing away from each other. Your bodies deal 6% with average priority to anyone else who happens to come by during your struggle with the victim. Getting up regularly has a bit more lag to input then rolling meaning it’s not a true option, and if the foe insists on breaking the grip via a rising attack you can predict and punish it with your own rising attack.

UP THROW – Thrust
Morton impales the grabbed foe on his claw if they weren’t already, then thrusts his claws upward to knock the foe off for 8% and vertical knockback that kills at 180%. The foe deals 8% and the same knockback to any other combatants they come into contact with on the way up. This throw will send up both foes at once if you grabbed two via dtilt, and the trajectories they’re thrown at means they’ll be thrown into each other for a glorious 16% on two foes at once.

DOWN THROW – Weights
Morton takes off his spiked armbands and fastens them around each of the foe’s legs, prevents the foe from using their first jump or dashing. This is obviously one of the easiest ways to force your foe to stay grounded for your dsmash/dair to actually make contact. This lasts forever until the foe grabs and pummels you to put the armbands back on you or waits long enough for their idle animation to occur at which point they start to take the armbands off by themselves, taking a good half second. If this happens, you can’t use this move for the rest of your stock. If you keep using dair/dsmash, though, they’ll keep having to dodge your attacks and thus won’t have enough time to take the armbands off. This helps encourage the foe to approach Morton, seeing they can’t really get away from him in this state. Without a doubt one of Morton’s most important moves.

FINAL SMASH – MORTON’S CASTLE

Morton roars as the camera zooms in on him and the Wii breaks from being unable to process a stage change for the Final Smash. You then realize that you’re playing this epic game on a half decent console that isn’t Wii.

When the screen zooms out, you see that you’re playing on his old SMW boss arena rather then the stage you were previously on. The only difference from the picture is that the walls go down all the way into the lava. It’s as wide as Battlefield’s main platform, but is entirely boxed in. While this means you can’t KO, the foe doesn’t have much of a place to run from you as you damage rack them up to all hell, abusing your fthrow, fair, dair, and Side Special. Every time you use the dair, the walls will close in closer together by Ganon’s width. Eventually, the foe won’t exactly have much of a place to run.

In addition, your Up Special is now replaced now that you have walls on either side of you already and don’t need to recover. Using it causes the platforms making up the floor to start falling apart two at a time, going from the center to the edges. The lava deals 10% per second you’re in it, but not hitstun or anything, making it essentially a bottomless pit. Morton can still recover if he’s close to the walls via fair, though generally he’ll want to get them close together via dair so he can use Side Special to stay in mid-air indefinitely and make his body a deadly hitbox in the process.

The Final Smash lasts 13 seconds. It requires some actual thought to make good use of, but skilled players will find this one of the more beastly Final Smashes available.

PLAYSTYLE

Morton ultimately wants to trap you in-between his two pillars. That’s pretty much what it all boils down to. Once inside, he can use Side Special to damage rack you to all hell. So. . .How do you get the foe to sit tight long enough to get caught in it? You bring down the pillars early to allow you time to prepare whatever as the foe can’t do a damn thing to stop you. Lengthen your claws, fully charge a usmash fireball, start preparing some Neutral Special fireballs to ricochet around and be unleashed on the foe as the pillars retract, whatever. With longer claws, landing a grab is considerably easier for that ever so juicy dthrow. If they insist on staying in the air where you can’t grab them, go for a bair or just spam nair to encourage them to fight on the ground. From here, you can put up a sort of defensive pressure game on the foe, camping with dsmash and dair, never giving them a chance to take off the armbands. They’ll be as slow as you and have a hellish time approaching through your shockwaves and fireballs. Seeing they’re forced to approach and on the ground in a slow predictable manner, you can just keep delaying the Up Special until the foe finally gets there to bring the Doom Pillars crashing down. This gets you damage while setting you up for your ultimate damage racker. Very nice.

This might all sound very defensive, and that’s because it is. However; once you’ve got the dthrow off you might prefer to switch to a more offensive playstyle. Namely with that dashing attack. If the foe tries to spot dodge it, they’ll just be caught in the next stomp. They’ll be left with no way whatsoever to avoid it while it’s very much possible for them to dodge all your various shockwaves. Once up close, you can start having some fun with your grab-game and with the fact that you have an air game while the foe’s doesn’t exist. You’ll be at a slight risk of the foe grabbing you and getting the armbands off, but seeing your ftilt/dtilt grabs are disjointed you shouldn’t have much problem so long as you stay a step ahead of them thanks to their horrible movement. In particular, grabbing the foe to try to keep them under where a Doom Pillar is going to come down should be a large goal. If the foe tries to run away, use your bthrow and roll towards where it’s going to come crashing down. If you keep staying up in the foe’s face, it’s very much possible to even go for a gimp kill by trapping the foe with you off-stage in your pillars. Just try to make sure that if you miss it it’s sooner rather then later to guarantee your recovery and so that the foe will take some damage from having to juggle themselves on the spikes of the doom pillar.

Morton can swap between the two styles to react to his opponent with little problem. Many characters will refuse to approach simply due to them loving being left alone and camping, in which case you’ll need to go on the offensive. On the other hand, more standard characters are able to resist Morton’s offensive pressure with their attack speed and especially their range should they shatter Morton’s claws. Thus, there’s generally little that shuts Morton out and he doesn’t shut out much anything on his own, unlike pretty much the entirety of MYM sets. Morton does tend to lean more towards the defensive side due to requiring set-up (Though it’s Dingodile esque in that he can do it very quickly and undisturbed) and relying on his claw range up when going for close combat pressure, but playing against him you’d think he’s more an offensive character then anything. He’s a great damage racker with only a couple KO moves, and it’s easy to catch him with no recovery and damage rack him thanks to his size/fall speed/weight. Glass cannon, really.

In FFAs, Morton can obviously just chicken out to try to survive to the final two, but even here there are reasons to go offensive, primairily grabbing two foes at once via dtilt followed by uthrow. In addition, it’s hard to –not- find somebody on the ground to get hit by one of your many stunning moves. While you might not be the one to follow up the stun, you’re the –real- source that’s causing everybody else to drop off like flies so
quickly.

MATCH-UPS

VS. SUBARU:
60/40

While dthrow prevents Subaru from running normally, should she shift to gear two she can run at the speed of gear one, and so on, so it thankfully doesn’t shut her out. Subaru is as good as dead should Morton trap her in-between Doom Pillars seeing all of her momentum is useless in such a tight space and she can’t destroy them, but it’s easy enough for Subaru to simply not get caught. . .Or so one would think. Even without dthrow, Subaru prefers to stay grounded to keep up her momentum. She’s easy fodder for dashing attack and dair, the former in particular. While this might all be fine and dandy, Subaru can make a barely aerial wing road over the stage for Morton to be unable to hit her with these attacks. What’s a Koopa left to do? You can always play defensively in a campy fashion, hiding behind your Doom Pillar. While dair won’t be able to hit her, Dsmash can potentially reach her on her barely aerial Wing Road and you’re given all the time you want to set-up, particularly for lengthening your claws. Subaru doesn’t have much of an answer to your long range grab that goes straight past her cute little shield. It’s not easy to get her trapped, but it’s far from impossible and with her limited gears she’ll be struggling to finish you off.

As an added bonus, Morton’s also the only character in the game without a 0/100 match-up against Subaru due to him being able to easily reach her when she just stalls forever at the top of the screen with wing road. Up Special + Side Special/Fair will make the b*tch come down and fight like she’s supposed to quickly enough.

VS. LIGHTWEIGHT FEMALE PROTAGONIST:
57.5/52.5

Lightweight Female Protagonist laughs at your attempts to box her in your own walls with Up Special as she casually slips out with Side Special. . .But why the hell would you want to waste your recovery boxing her in? She’s already kind enough to do that for you! She wants you to approach? Why would you bother making your way through that hellish invisible maze? Just spam dair/dsmash and prepare your claws, send up a usmash fireball. Go nuts. . .Until she uses her Up Special and prevents you from phasing her with those moves. Fun times. This means Morton has to approach, which in all honesty he can’t, especially without his dashing attack. Lightweight Female Protagonist will get ridiculous sums of damage on Morton as he makes his way to her, though the moment he catches her in-between some walls he’ll more then make up for it with his Side Special. While she can always just abandon ship and flee before he gets there, she’ll have to go on the ground in order to do so, leaving her vulnerable to Morton’s earthshaking attacks.

Lightweight Female Protagonist will struggle to get any profit off of boxing Morton in, seeing if she tries to take advantage of it by popping in with her Side Special she’ll just be ***** by your full momentum Side Special. This shuts out her main KO move pretty cleanly, and Morton is only all the more painfully difficult for Lightweight Female Protagonist to KO seeing his recovery is perfect when he saves it for actual recovery, though it’s possible for her to bair him to his death before the pillar comes down. . .Good thing too, seeing that’s the only way she’ll KO the fat fuck. Morton has a much easier time KOing her seeing he doesn’t need as much damage to finish her (Though Lucy will overall get more in, no questions asked) and one landed dair makes Lightweight Female Protagonist an easy target for a fsmash.

VS. WARIO
55/45

Forcing Wario to stay on the ground with your dthrow is mind numbingly frustrating for the fat Italian. Without his air-game, Wario is utterly unspectacular. While his bike will absorb your dair and dash attack, dsmash shockwaves hit both him and his bike. The bike can limit what you can do to Wario when he’s grounded, but once it’s destroyed you’ve got a good bit of free time to mess with him before he can spawn another. In addition, he can’t take off his armbands when he’s on the bike either. Your range looks perfectly acceptable next to Wario’s, and with nice lengthy claws outranging the greedy bastard couldn’t be easier. Without his bike or his air game. . .What’s he gonna do? Spam fsmash? Granted Fsmash is quite powerful and his bike respawns pretty quickly, and you still have to get in a grab in the first place to ground him. Getting in the grab isn’t too hard due to how much you outrange him with your claw grab, but he’ll certainly get in a decent bit of damage before you do. While Morton severely limits Wario’s options, “fsmash spam” isn’t that terrible of a strategy, considering it’s easily among the best KO moves in the game.

VS. THE COUNT:
50/50

Your dthrow does nothing to dissuade the Count. He has no aerials anyway, so why would he want to jump? His Up Special allows him to bypass your groundshaking moves anyway. Your prime target for the dthrow should be Zondark. He’s easy to pressure, and you can use him as a punching bag to rack up the duo’s damage. In addition, your dtilt is actually relevant in a 1v1 match-up in that you have two targets to grab. While the Count will just sacrifice Zondark to Godhand to heal all the damage you did, once he’s gone taking down the Count becomes much more manageable. Still, the Count’s special dsmash allows him to approach/retreat under your pillars as he wishes when you’re setting up/aiming to damage rack him, so he’s not a slouch on his own either, and his Up Special of course still allows him to bypass your ground moves. Considering how crippled he is without Zondark, though, it can still go either way. While Morton has somewhat of an advantage just due to how much the Count struggles to grab, he’ll get enough of a lead at the start while Zondark’s around before the true battle begins.

VS. THE GREAT MIGHTY POO:
50/50

GMP can flee from you in a fashion similar to the Count, meaning you can’t trap him in-between your Doom Pillars. Thus, Morton will want to use his walls to block GMP’s camping and use his own earthshaking camping to go around the walls. Rather then chasing after GMP to get him to come in-between your Doom Pillars, force him to come to you camping inside them, then punish him for his foolish mistake via Side Special. No matter where he goes to, there’s not much he can do if you’re inside the pillars, and considering how horribly he does in the air he’s highly vulnerable to Morton’s earthshaking moves in general. What GMP will want to do is to mostly just stall and abuse his shit holes, constantly going in-between them until the Doom Pillars retract.

This is somewhat effective (Though far from ideal), and once the pillars retract GMP can go about camping normally. While Morton can go for a dsmash to absorb the projectiles and stay in mid-air to avoid projectiles, GMP can just aim his poo to hit him as he rotates in mid-air. Once Morton gets within half Final Destination’s length, though, it’s easy enough for him to close the remaining gap via Dashing Attack. Thankfully GMP’s trap can interrupt Morton’s temper tantrum and prevent him getting that close too quickly, ensuring GMP still gets his fair share of damage before Morton gets to him. Once Morton gets there, though, his grab-game will ensure he overall gets more damage then GMP, particularly considering his Up Special will of cooled down by now. Definitely not a win for Morton, though, seeing GMP can KO much earlier with his excellent Sloprano KO move that he’ll of no doubt found time to prepare.

VS. REVOLVER OCELOT:
45/55

While Ocelot’s neutral A can go around your walls to stop you from playing defensively, it’s just one bullet at a time, easy enough to spot dodge. Just don’t expect to get a fully charged usmash off and don’t expect to fully extend your claws in one go. Climbing up your walls to prepare a dair with fair will keep you moving fast enough that Ocelot’s bullet won’t hit you anyway. When the doom pillars retract, Morton can defend himself from Ocelot’s horrific 48% camping bullets with his dsmash shockwaves, so in general Ocelot’s camping isn’t much to worry about. Those smashes of his are extremely scary, as well as Guns of the Patriots. . .So why approach him? Use your defensive earth-shaking camping. He can’t reflect it, so this is pretty much your only way to damage rack him without putting yourself at the immense risk of his smashes. Go in strictly to get your dthrow at the start and interrupt his smashes via dashing attack to get up close and for the KO at the end after you’ve successfully daired him. You want to stay up in his face as briefly as possible. Both of you will struggle to damage rack each other, and the KOing phase is even if only for how quickly Ocelot dies due to his weight/recovery but how quickly he kills you with his insane power. What makes this slightly in Ocelot’s favor is the blind spots Ocelot finds to do a bit of camping, thus getting a bit ahead in damage.

VS. SILVER:
45/55

Morton couldn’t care less about Silver walling himself in and camping thanks to his earthshaking moves, though Silver couldn’t care less about Morton walling himself in to prepare himself. Both characters have little reason to be defensive here seeing both characters shred through each other’s defenses. . .And Silver can’t really do much offense. Just be cautious of his gimps and save your Up Special for actual recovery if possible. Morton and Silver KO each other stupidly quickly, though Silver can try for KOs right off the bat while Morton has to go for damage, which more often then not means trying to trap him in his Doom Pillars. When it misses, Silver can just grab him through it then proceed to gimp him while his recovery is on the level of Link’s. Fun times. . .Though Silver doesn’t really have much of an option for getting Morton off stage in the first place outside hoping Morton goes berserk with randomized controls.

VS. LEAFEON:
40/60

Ah trap characters. . .Morton can fit into the stereotypical pressure mold quite well when the time calls for it, and he can quite easily interrupt the setting up traps and get right up to the trap character in the process with dashing attack. More often then not they’ll have to be on the ground to start building their traps, which means dthrow isn’t even necessary. For trap characters that rely on staying around a particular trap such as Gluttony’s drool puddle, you can just bring the Doom Pillars down there to have a natural lure to bring the foe there or to just block off the trap. While Tycoon can’t have his trap building interrupted, he’s garbage tier anyway. Arthas can provide problems by having traps that are built by themselves, though his dair –can- target summons despite being unable to target traps. Thankfully traps can ride out dairs and dsmashes, so Morton at least doesn’t ruin all your traps after you’ve shed so much blood and tears making them.

The one thing that Morton fears in trap characters, are ones that can make aerial traps or at least have reasons to be in the air. While Leafeon doesn’t have that much to speak of in that regard, he still has actual reasons to go there which massively frustrates Morton. In particular, fair can consistently trip Morton when he traps Leafeon in-between his doom-pillars should he get it off before Morton picks up momentum, though dthrow puts a quick end to that. Leafeon’s other aerials rely on the quantity of traps he has, and Leafeon won’t have enough traps to make much use of them for a good while anyway. While Morton can pressure Leafeon quite well to prevent him from getting that far, Morton in general does rather poorly once Leafeon has his way with the stage and against trap characters in general. Yeah, he can block off portions of the stage, but then he loses his main advantage. Considering Leafeon will be freed from Morton’s armbands after the first KO, Morton will have considerably more trouble pressuring the guy on subsequent stocks, meaning unless he wants to kill himself just for new armbands Leafeon will probably get the time to set up he needs.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
[size=+3]Morton[/size]
I must say, at first I didn't get the Down Special, but you explained it well through the use of the Tilts. The set has some traits that it stays true to in Mario such as Morton's Side Special and F-air.

I'd almost say that this set took more concepts than needed and kind of scrambled them together. You have his pillars, his claws and try to make a playstyle of more than one great concept. The pillars are kind of like DINGODILE, but there's nothing wrong with that. These pillars last for 5 seconds and can't be bought back down for 12 seconds, which seems kind of unfair to Morton, underpowering. It's fair that the foe can still use their second jump and recoveries with the bands so they can recover, so it balances the D-throw. Also, what's up with his F-Smash? It's a bit hard to use, and totally super underpowered big time. You can't really use it, just best to use his Side Special turtle shell.

The set doesn't seem to totally come together greatly in my opinion (Wait, how tall are those pillars? As tall as MORTON?) due to the somewhat scattered playstyle. He's not the greatest of what you've done in MYM sets, but I liked the background information.

The_Great_Panda

Smash Apprentice
Morton

I think it sounds like a real fun moveset, really solid too; but I do agree with Katapultar that some of his moves are underpowered for the time it takes to use the claws and the pillars to get the full effect.

Which is another thing....YOU HATH STOLEN MY IDEA xD For the Vent moveset I'm working on, several of Model X's attacks depend on the charge level of his Neutral Special, just like your claw extension xD

But on a side note, Molde X is about 3/5 done meaning another 3 weeks or so and I should be close to finishing Vent. BTW, has any critiqued the preview of one of Model X's moves I posted earlier...?

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Morton: I thought that fireballs was all the potential Morton has ever shown, but you've certainly proved me wrong. Morton sort of reminds me of the Punch-Out!! sets of last contest in that you've squeezed every bit of potential out of the guy. The heavy emphasis on the Doom Pillars could be seen as questionable seeing as his only connection to them was them being present in his castle (right? I haven't played SMW for such a long time), but you've certainly pulled it off quite well, what with the chaingrabs and all. Yay for chaingrabs. He certainly isn't your most original set ever, but there are definitely some epic moves like the FAir (despite being a rather random place for one of his trademark techniques... it was one of his trademarks, right? I need to replay SMW -_-)

Morton seems to have a couple of moves with tacked on effects to seem more original... The most significant one is the FSmash. Swallowing up a mouthful of dirt feels rather random and irrelevant to the use of the move. Well, actually, it is relevant since it means he can only use the move to finish the opponent off, but couldn't you give it horrible ending lag or something? Outside of the FSmash it isn't as bad, but there are a couple of things that feel rather off like stretching his claws for his Down Special (unless I'm missing one of his abilities), but they all add to the playstyle somehow, so I can hardly complain. Though I honestly think that the Dash Attack really is identical to one of those keep-dashing-dash attacks Junahu hates so much, but I don't mind them at all, so...
Has anyone noticed that we're getting more and more of them since Junahu complained about them? =P

I'd like to say that Morton's playstyle is disjointed seeing as there are so many moves which interact differently with the Doom Pillars, but Morton actually comes together rather nicely. Like Bleak, his playstyle flows very well, but it's actually somewhat interesting... I like it. On an unrelated note, it's a given that you'll be flamed for the lack of musical headers, but I approve of it since I think underlining looks so horrible and I hate how links are automatically underlined. (Y) Morton definitely isn't your best work, but he's still definitely a good set.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
[size=+3]Caterpie[/size]
It's funny because some of the sentences don't begin with capitals, which is deliberate and funny. I like it. The intended rookie writing is pretty much the best thing about this set.
Uh... well... thanks? I kinda thought the underlying concept and the web-based playstyle were the best things about the set, but to each his own.

And yeah, Caterpie's a rookie Pokemon, so I shot for rookie writing. By all appearance - and if his organization were a tad less dolled up - he could pass for a noob set (except for the concepts in the attacks themselves, of course).

Oh I didn't mean to imply that it was laziness!

I simply meant to state that by not putting Butterfree in, you didn't have to worry with balance issues or detract from the point that was supposed to wow us. It was a tactical removal. This way, we have no way to criticize those potential weaknesses! (SMIRK)
;)

caterpie is a simple set. but it has a lot of depth if you read a bit more carefully. the playstyle is neat and different and caterpie would be fun to play as. i don't mind if you post butterfree because caterpie is awesome either way.

and this is your obligatory first gen set of the contest, albeit a well made one.

(I love this writing style for some odd reason....)
Good to hear, Frf. Thanks. :bee:

This is amazing. Well done, Rool. I'd like to see more where this came from.
I'd hoped you'd like it, Plorf. One hour set, here we go. ;)

Caterpie

Simple, short, sweet, and to the point. I like that. I really like how you linked the moveset with a fitting writing style - especially when I saw adjectives like 'wee'. Theres not much to say, all in all its a solid set, but I just have one gripe. The neutral-b seems to be more of a 'forward-b-type' move, while the reverse is also true. I probably would switch the two, but that's just me.

Why, thank you, and welcome to MYM! That's a really good point and makes so much sense I'm shocked nobody else pointed it out - it's been switched.

That idea wasn't Rool's first anyways. The moveset that won the last competition used that too! Don't worry though, there's nothing wrong with using the idea. Good luck with your first moveset.
This is very true... although I'm pretty sure the very first set to have no classical throws was my Shellder. Ah, back then it could pass for something other than laziness...

so, what does the Up B do again when it's on stage? The same as string shot...or...?
Thanks for the spam there, JOE. 6_6

And now...

Katapultar seems to be going against the flow just for the sake of doing so, seeing he doesn’t even like Banette. Just pray Rool doesn’t go off his rocker and do the same.
Well, I finally read Subaru. I'm not going to tell what you did right and what you did wrong (mainly because there's pretty much nothing in the second category), because you've heard that all already. I am going to tell you my personal impression, and justify it.

Subaru is a very good set. There's absolutely nothing wrong with her. And yet... I'm not ready to throw my lot in with her newfound cult.

Bubbles+ makes absolutely no sense to me as a moniker. Bubbles does completely different things with neverending motion, and uses, well, bubbles. As her main attack method. In terms of playstyle and just about everything, they're totally different. Very superficial comparison. This is more like a spiritual successor to Mach Rider, using multiple speeds and constant motion to press a hyper-aggressive attack.

And that playstyle is juicy. Maybe it's just that the bulk of it is contained in the Specials, so the rest of the moves feel like they're just filling in the blanks. Maybe it's just that there's a lot of detail and your writing style still feels like it could use some cropping down. Maybe I'm just insane.

Not completely insane, though. This is the kind of excellent set I've come to expect after the superb Nanoha (most forgotten set ever, or what? As soon as Warlord scorned it, it's like it vanished off the face of the earth) and joint-set-Mewtwo. Certainly one of the better movesets posted so far in a very good MYM. When it comes right down to the wire, though, I'll stick with Lucy for now.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
[size=+3]Morton[/size]
I must say, at first I didn't get the Down Special, but you explained it well through the use of the Tilts. The set has some traits that it stays true to in Mario such as Morton's Side Special and F-air.

I'd almost say that this set took more concepts than needed and kind of scrambled them together. You have his pillars, his claws and try to make a playstyle of more than one great concept. The pillars are kind of like DINGODILE, but there's nothing wrong with that. These pillars last for 5 seconds and can't be bought back down for 12 seconds, which seems kind of unfair to Morton, underpowering. It's fair that the foe can still use their second jump and recoveries with the bands so they can recover, so it balances the D-throw. Also, what's up with his F-Smash? It's a bit hard to use, and totally super underpowered big time. You can't really use it, just best to use his Side Special turtle shell.

The set doesn't seem to totally come together greatly in my opinion (Wait, how tall are those pillars? As tall as MORTON?) due to the somewhat scattered playstyle. He's not the greatest of what you've done in MYM sets, but I liked the background information.
I'd certainly think he was underpowered too if I thought the pillars were that short. Added in moar detail. The pillars have infinite height. Wouldn't be much of a recovery or trapping them in if they could just hop out from between them, no? Can you imagine how crazy it'd be if he could just casually bring those things down whenever he wanted?

Fsmash is intentionally underpowered so that Morton has to rely on his stun moves to use it, and seeing he has no shortage of those. . .Mmmyeah.

The playstyle was made to be less focused to allow for more freedom and there to be more contrast for offense and defense. I'll admit it's probably one of my least flowing sets, but it still flows enough to satisfy me.

Anyway, thanks for the commentary.

MortonI think it sounds like a real fun moveset, really solid too; but I do agree with Katapultar that some of his moves are underpowered for the time it takes to use the claws and the pillars to get the full effect.
Cool, cool, glad you liked it. I could've very easily made him god tier if I wanted to and the Neutral Special originally absorbed projectiles and the earthshaking attacks originally destroyed traps, but yeah. Trust me when I say he's balanced. That's pretty much the whole point of this moveset's existence. To have relatively even match-ups against both Brawl and MYM. To not be countered (And now Junahu will make his next set counter him to spite me) and to not too heavily destroy anything. With all the awkward genres romping around MYM, that's harder then it sounds. . .

Which is another thing....YOU HATH STOLEN MY IDEA xD For the Vent moveset I'm working on, several of Model X's attacks depend on the charge level of his Neutral Special, just like your claw extension xD
No worries there. Pretty standard mechanic, and that was hardly even the main focus of the set anyway.

Morton: I thought that fireballs was all the potential Morton has ever shown, but you've certainly proved me wrong. Morton sort of reminds me of the Punch-Out!! sets of last contest in that you've squeezed every bit of potential out of the guy. The heavy emphasis on the Doom Pillars could be seen as questionable seeing as his only connection to them was them being present in his castle (right? I haven't played SMW for such a long time), but you've certainly pulled it off quite well, what with the chaingrabs and all. Yay for chaingrabs. He certainly isn't your most original set ever, but there are definitely some epic moves like the FAir (despite being a rather random place for one of his trademark techniques... it was one of his trademarks, right? I need to replay SMW -_-)
The Doom Pillars are from NSMB Wii, and he slides around in his shell against them, so yeah, straight from the games.

Morton seems to have a couple of moves with tacked on effects to seem more original... The most significant one is the FSmash. Swallowing up a mouthful of dirt feels rather random and irrelevant to the use of the move. Well, actually, it is relevant since it means he can only use the move to finish the opponent off, but couldn't you give it horrible ending lag or something? Outside of the FSmash it isn't as bad, but there are a couple of things that feel rather off like stretching his claws for his Down Special (unless I'm missing one of his abilities), but they all add to the playstyle somehow, so I can hardly complain. Though I honestly think that the Dash Attack really is identical to one of those keep-dashing-dash attacks Junahu hates so much, but I don't mind them at all, so...
Has anyone noticed that we're getting more and more of them since Junahu complained about them? =P
Just decided to throw out the effects on fsmash. It's the obligatory KO move. Nothing more. The claws, I have no excuse. Mainly just that the guy has so little personality in comparison to the other Koopalings that he's the only one with an excuse to use them. Dashing Attack is one of my favorite attacks in the set, actually, so I couldn't care less whether it's one of those or not.

I'd like to say that Morton's playstyle is disjointed seeing as there are so many moves which interact differently with the Doom Pillars, but Morton actually comes together rather nicely. Like Bleak, his playstyle flows very well, but it's actually somewhat interesting... I like it. On an unrelated note, it's a given that you'll be flamed for the lack of musical headers, but I approve of it since I think underlining looks so horrible and I hate how links are automatically underlined. (Y) Morton definitely isn't your best work, but he's still definitely a good set.
Musical Headers? Eh. Morton's too generic to have much of any music that really fits him. I could very easily plop random Mario castle themes, but that wouldn't be very Morton, no? The playstyle is more or less an experiment, and while it definitely has cons I'm more fond of how it gives more freedom to the player and how he's actually versatile enough to be able to change it up against different styles of characters.

Well for whatever reason, whikl eeveryone else sees things as underpowered, I'm seeing the down throw as overpowered...but that just may be my ignorance speaking. Otherwise I liked the pillar idea.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
@Morton: Where was his castle in Super Mario World? I think that's where the pillars are from, but it's been so long. Speaking of which, how far apart are the pillars when they appear? I don't think it was made clear. Also, are you able to climb up their sides with Side B (because there's a reference to that in one of the other moves, but not in Side B itself)?

Other than those little things, Morton is a pretty cool set for a boss character. Some attacks feel very reminiscent of other characters you've done (or maybe it's just me. Up Tilt reminds me of Lust for some reason), but overall you try to give every attack a little bit of flavor, whether it be with added grab hitboxes or what-not. You've also improved your writing style since I last read one of your movesets (or anyone's, for that matter), so props for that too.

Eh, forgive my poor commentary as I try to get back into MYM, but you made a nice little moveset, MW! :bee:

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Morton

Ah, have the Koopalings begun to come now? Morton Jr. starts us off. First of all, the doom pillars are a pretty cool idea, and you get them to work fairly well (although the pillars could use stamina (SMIRK)), and the character's ability to use both offense and defense fairly well was a good move in creating a balanced character, where balanced doesn't mean "is shut down by as many people as he shuts down"

There are a few quips I'd like to make about the set though. The claw moves were a tad bit disappointing. First of all, the Utilt's effect when you had your claws extended was random, and the kind of move interaction / move with a twist stuff I had thought we'd moved past by now. The same applies to the extra effect if you attacked your pillars with the Ftilt, it was an unnecessary space filler more than anything. It doesn't help that, for a character who's supposed to be able to go offensive, he has to retract his claws after every attack that utilizes them and must reextend them if he wants to attack again. He can't really go offensive if he has to do that.

A more minor quibble, the down throw is one of the most important moves in Morton's arsenal... and it's the last move in his arsenal. You should have at least hinted at its existence. Further, for all your talk about not wanting to be a total shut down character, the fact that the down throw completely removes the ability to use your first jump or dash, it subsequently shuts down a lot of aerial characters. You could have lowered jump height or made jumps laggier, or slowed down the dash speed, to keep the goal, but without the ability to completely shut that option out for your opponent. If you did that, you could also probably be able to make it not a "once-a-stock" option like you ended up doing.

That being said, I generally liked the set. Playstyle was solid and balanced, there was a good bit of creativity, and it had a greater deal of personality than I generally expect from your movesets. Good job MW.

Frf

Smash Apprentice
Another Day Another Koopa
-lol morton is adopted
-It seems like you're forcing yourself to break cliches. ("Unlike the standard portal recovery....")
-I wouldn't spoil too much of the recovery in the stats section....
-The up special seems awesome once the side special comes into play.
-You don't make the tilts sound very useful....
-One of Morton's most important moves....IS THE LAST ONE. D:

The main thing I liked about Morton was the balanced-on-both-sides kind of playstyle, yet as others have said it doesn't flow terribly well. It has a fair amount of creativity, which isn't the easiest thing to do for a koopa kids set, but I'm thinking Lightweight female protagonist is better. Just goes to show how high our expectations are, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom