• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Color Coded Stage Selects! Perfect for Tournaments! UPDATED w/ Brawl+!

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Do you run tournaments? Are you a practicing pro player? Can you never remember the current legal stage list? Jack has your back! Just pick up the files provided for your here and you're on your way to having Brawl keep track of the latest stage legality listings, now for vBrawl AND Brawl+! Color-coded by the 5 levels of legality (Neutral, Neutral/Counter, Counterpick, Counter/Banned, and Banned), the Stage Select Screen will help you (and your tournament entrants, TO's!) remember if Orpheon is counterpick, Castle Siege can be neutral, or what the status of Pipes is.

Note that this hack uses sc_selmap.pac, which goes in "RSBE/pf/menu2" (that is not a typo: put it in "RSBE/pfmenu2", and it won't work), which is incompatible with common5.pac hacks, including CSP hacks. But have no fear! If you want to still use this concept, I'm providing the color-coded stage files in .tga format, so you can use BrawlScape / Brawl Box to insert them as needed into whatever file you want! The .tga files are separated and listed according to legality and share the file names of whatever you need to replace in various .pac files.

Also note that we're not finished yet. The vBrawl screen is still under construction, and Kei Takaro has finished a draft of the Brawl+ stage list; we still have more to come, so check back every now and then!

Click here to get the hacked sc_selmap for vBrawl (under construction)!

Click here to get the .tga files for vBrawl!

Click here for Kei Takaro's Brawl+ sc_selmap!

Click here to get the original sc_selmap!

Also, bonus points to Kei Takaro for finding the special change I made to the SSS.

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN:

This screen is set up for vBrawl's stage list, but let's say you want BBrawl's or Brawl+'s stage list. Well, making your own stage pics and color coding them is easy!

Step 1: Open up a copy of the stage list you want and open sc_selmap_original.pac in Brawl Box.

Step 2: Go to ModelData[80] -> Textures. In there, you'll find a bunch of files, and if you scroll down the list, you'll find the stage icons organized by number.

Step 3: Find the pic you want to replace and export it in .tga format.

Step 4: Open the .tga file in Gimp or PS. Choose the foreground color that matches the legality of the stage.

Step 5: Create a new layer with that color.

Step 6: Edit the transparency in the "layers" palette to anywhere between 25% - 50%, depending on the color and stage pic (some %'s look better / clearer than others). Then, SAVE.

Step 7: Open sc_selmap.pac (provided in here) or common5.pac (not provided in here); use common5 if you have CSPs, and use sc_selmap.pac if you don't.

Step 8: Go to the same place you exported from and import instead. You'll get a dialog replacing the old pic with the new one.

Step 9: SAVE.

Step 10: ???

Step 11: PROFIT!

Now, PICS HERE! Many thanks to Kei Takaro for taking these pics:

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Ok, I'm trying to hack the pictures on the stage select screen. I think I have the right file (sc_selmap_en.pac). I have 3 questions for anyone that might know the answer:

1. We CAN sd load this file just like all the others, right?
2. This file goes in RSBE/pfmenu2, right?
3. This file is supposed to be named "sc_selmap.pac", right?

It's really important that I figure out why my file isn't loading. Any help would be awesome.
actually, I just replace mine in common5... or at least, it says you can in brawlscape.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Well, I don't have the entire ISO. I have a common5.pac file, but with only that, it looks like I can only edit CSP info, not stage select screen info. Just to be clear, I'm trying to change the pictures of the individual stages (both the tiny pics and the preview pics).

pokelover980

Smash Ace

Aren't you supposed to remove the _en from any file that has the _en? I though it only worked if you removed it :U

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Well, for some reason, BS wasn't loading all of the files out of common5.pac. I restarted it twice, and nothing changed... then it all of the sudden started loading some of the files. It was bizarre. Now, I can replace to stage icons, but it still asks me for the stage pacs, which I assume means I can only edit the icons. Which is fine for now. I'll report back in a bit to make sure it works. Oh, and if any mods see this, don't close this thread; I'm totally going to re-purpose it later.

EDIT: Ok, BS re-compressed common5, it said everything was go, I placed it in system... and nothing changed. At all. I replaced 5 of the stage select icons in BS, but none of them changed in the game. It doesn't seem to be loading common5.pac at ALL; there are even CSPs in the file, and they aren't showing up, either.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Exactly right. That's where I'm putting it. Same structure, same name, same everything. The game just won't load it.

EDIT: *sigh* I'm so confused... I reset the system, and now it's loading fine. Nothing changed on my SD card, or in my codes. Are there any files that conflict with common5? I remember hearing that the Custom CSS files (the one that lets you physically move the CSS icons around the screen) conflicts with loading CSP portraits, and I now know that those are in common5.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
You do know not all .pacs are loaded more than once, right?

common5 being one of those that are only loaded at startup of the main menu, and only once.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Well, I finally moved my *** and posted what I wanted to. Hopefully, it will help at least one person out there.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Because I like pretty colors. ^_^

Really, though, people already know what position any given stage is in with the default SSS, but you might not remember what the status of a stage is. If the stages are physically organized into legality, it still doesn't help someone who knows what stage he wants to play, but doesn't know the status.

Really, one way isn't better than another; you lose data with both setups. With the SSS code, people have to know where in the layout one tier begins and another ends, which can change depending on the code and who made it. This way, the stages are always in the default places (so players can find them easily), they just have an extra layer of data on top (the status). It's basically a choice between players already knowing what stage they want to play on and players searching a list for what they want to play on.

So... colors. :p

Oh, and yes, vBrawl legality. But, it's really easy to edit this. I'll probably edit that into the OP really quick.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Do you have a Brawl+ legal version now?
Also I can take pics of the vBrawl SSS Screen =D

Oh and nice job with Pictochat lmao

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
lulz, I'm glad someone noticed my little easter egg; my personal version is much more... endowed, one might say. :p

I don't have a Brawl+ version, although it wouldn't be hard to make one; I provided the original files / FAQ so that people could make one, but I suppose I could, too. I'm actually planning on fixing some of the colors (I tried doing shades from Green -> Yellow -> Red, but they all look the same) so that you can tell a little easier which stages are the in-betweens (not a straight Neutral / CP / Banned) by using Blue and Purple instead of Olive Green and Orange, respectively. So, expect that soon (like, in the next day or so). If you're still up for taking a pic of the vBrawl screen (and the Brawl+ screen, when it's done), send me a PM; I'll send you the latest and greatest version of both.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Well, I'd like to show you, but my capture card isn't up and running right now; either way, I'll have a new version uploaded tonight. I might be able to get a pic posted, at least of the vBrawl variety, but no guarantees.

Basically, think of the SSS, but with lots of pretty colors. :p

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Sorry for the double post, but I've updated the vBrawl colors to be easier to distinguish and I'm currently working on the Brawl+ stage list. If anyone can take a pic of the vBrawl screen for me, that'd be GREAT.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Too bad we cant hack custom into its own SSS, then we could do Neutral on Page 1, Counterpick on 2, Banned on 3. :V

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Downloaded it.

Edit: It seemed slightly distracting.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Actually, that's a good idea. I'm going to experiment with that; it looks like it's going to take longer (overlaying transparent layers was a fairly formulaic process, so it was really fast), but it does look cleaner.

mofo_

Smash Ace
yeah corner tabs look neater than the whole thing being tinted...

blue = starter
green = starter/counter
yellow = counter
orange = counter/banned
red = banned

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=230976

Starter

Yoshi's Island [Brawl] (37-0-0)
Battlefield (47-0-1)
Smashville (24-0-1)
Final Destination (26-2-1)

Starter/Counter

Lylat Cruise (16-9-0)
Halberd (18-16-0)
Pokémon Stadium 1 (16-14-2)
Castle Siege (5-9-0)

Counter

Delfino Plaza (6-20-0)
Brinstar (1-20-0)
Frigate Orpheon (1-29-0)
Rainbow Cruise (0-30-1)
Jungle Japes (0-14-1)
Pirate Ship (0-15-3)
PictoChat (0-25-9)
Pokémon Stadium 2 (0-24-11)

Counter/Banned

Norfair (0-16-10)
Luigi's Mansion (0-11-8)
Distant Planet (0-15-11)
Green Greens (0-6-9)
Yoshi's Island [Melee] (0-10-19)
Port Town Aero Dive (0-12-23)

Banned

Hanenbow (0-5-16)
Mario Circuit (0-5-19)
Onett (0-3-14)
Corneria (0-3-15)
Big Blue (0-3-17)
75m (2-2-24)
Green Hill Zone (0-3-19)
New Pork City (2-1-20)
Rumble Falls (0-3-21)
Shadow Moses Island (1-1-20)
Summit (0-2-20)
Mario Bros. (2-0-22)
Flat Zone 2 (1-1-22)
Bridge of Eldin (0-2-25)
WarioWare Inc. (0-2-33)
Spear Pillar (1-0-31)
Skyworld (0-0-16)
Temple (0-0-16)
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 (0-0-19)
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 (0-0-21)

and maybe in the opposite corner there should be a tab if it is brawl plus....like warioware would have a red tab in the bottom right corner...but have a green tab in the upper right corner...then make a strap loader that notes that too

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Instead of colored tabs, I used a smooth green check mark for starter stages, a smooth red X for banned stages, and left counterpicks normal. It looks something like this:

I created a custom green/red set for my tournament tomorrow.

I was planning on making a set of all stages with a green check on them and another set of all stages with a red X on them. I'll get around to making them later and upload them for you guys if you want.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Wow, I'm really glad you guys are coming up with good ideas. There's no reason, honestly, that all of this can't be done. UTD Zac, Your "Check / X" idea is really good, but I like mofo's "multi-corner" idea, too. We could compile all of them and release a few finished ones and then a pack of all the pieces so that people can customize their own (that's why I released the pieces / originals in mine, since I know all tournaments won't follow the SBR-B exactly).

Maybe a mix of the two would work. How about making the checks / x's a little smaller and giving the checks more shades? Personally, I like Green -> Blue -> Yellow -> Violet -> Red because the colors stand out better from both the pics and from each other. If I had the shaded checks / red x's a little smaller, I'd totally be willing to make more templates, too.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I'm already working on my SSS, but theres something wrong with exporting the files and can't be read in PS

EDIT: NVM, Figured it out lol

EDIT 2: Can anyone mmake icons for Wifi Waiting Room? Greatly appreciated!

EDIT 3: Where can I find the B+ stage legality list?

mofo_

Smash Ace
lol checks and x's not doin for me..its all about the style man! the style!!

@keitakaro
1: ive seen someone make it before forgot where though
2: search that **** boi!

edit: how bout put another corner tab for stages that are have different status in doubles?

i think this the changes in doubles

Starter
Final Destination
Smashville
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Castle Siege
Lylat Cruise
Halberd
Deadlands*
Wifi Waiting Room*

Starter/Counter
Pokemon Stadium 1
Frigate Orpheon
Delfino Plaza
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise
SSE Jungle*
WarioWare*
Pokemon Stadium 2*

Counter
Pokemon Stadium 2
Luigi's Mansion
Jungle Japes
Pirate Ship*
Norfair
Green Greens
Skyworld*
Corneria
Green Hill Zone
Brinstar
Big Blue*

Counter/Banned
Pirate Ship
Port Town Aero Dive
Distant Planet
Bridge of Eldin
Hanenbow
Mario Circuit
Onett

*brawl+ only

:o

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Man, this is getting heavy. Ok, so we have:

* vBrawl singles
* vBrawl doubles
* BBrawl singles
* BBrawl doubles
* B+ singles
* B+ doubles

With Neutral, N/CP, Counterpick, CP/B, and Banned classifications in each. Epic. We seriously need these all done.

mofo_

Smash Ace
hmmmmm i think bbrawl would be the same as vbrawl since there are no changes to stages.
so then there would just be 4 sections which means a tab in each corner? or border it kinda like this:

idk which would look better....

i know the colors i chose earlier were just simple spectrum Blue>Green>Yellow>Orange>Red
kinda want to pick colors that flow together...nothing like Brown>Purple>Orange>Cyan>Pink...lol

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
hmmmmm i think bbrawl would be the same as vbrawl since there are no changes to stages.
so then there would just be 4 sections which means a tab in each corner? or border it kinda like this:

idk which would look better....

i know the colors i chose earlier were just simple spectrum Blue>Green>Yellow>Orange>Red
kinda want to pick colors that flow together...nothing like Brown>Purple>Orange>Cyan>Pink...lol
I remember i think, that they had done something about the swimming
Will be posting B+ Singles Legality List soon (Unofficial)

mofo_

Smash Ace
i also have another idea....instead of putting it on the icons..instead put it on the BIG icons! you know the stage preview picture.put some squares or somethin or like in a blue square itd say B+ Singles - Neutral then another box thats yellow would say vBrawl singles Counterpick...

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
[This deserves a new post ;P]
WHOO DONE IT!!
I'll also be updating this as the stage legality thread updates!
BRAWL+ SINGLES SSS v1.0
DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?nbynyygefnz

Based on:
UNOFFICIAL Stage List
Neutral
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
WarioWare (singles)/Wifi Waiting Room (doubles)

Counterpick
Delfino Plaza
Rainbow Cruise
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium
Castle Siege
Wifi Waiting Room (singles)/WarioWare (doubles)

Counterpick/Banned
Skyworld
Luigi's Mansion
PictoChat
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Green Greens
Distant Planet
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Onett
Corneria
Pirate Ship

Banned
Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Mario Bros.
75m
Rumble Falls
Bridge of Eldin
Temple
Spear Pillar
Port Town Aero Dive
Big Blue
New Pork City
Summit
Flat Zone 2
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Hanenbow
===================
TO-DO List:
===================
Update Moar
Replace Rumble Falls with WWR Picture (Someone send me pictures)
Lighten the Blue color.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I should also note the color legend just for those curious.
Blue = Neutral
Yellow = Counterpick
Green = CP/Banned
Red = Banned

Top Bottom