• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project GENO - MarioDK Demo out

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
Okay, so I tested it, and the game still freezes on a custom animation for SpecialNStart. Indigo, how did you make that part of the attack? Actually, could you just take the original animation (for now) and lengthen it to however long you need it, then code the attack the way you intend, then send that to me so that I can make the whole thing work properly the first time?

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
indigo, remember a long, long time ago when I told you that using geno beam would freeze sometimes? I think that's what Douhneill is talking about. It especially happens if you release it early. And for some odd reason it happens more often when you use link's purple PJs than other costumes. That's sort of weird.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I tested it, and the game still freezes on a custom animation for SpecialNStart. Indigo, how did you make that part of the attack? Actually, could you just take the original animation (for now) and lengthen it to however long you need it, then code the attack the way you intend, then send that to me so that I can make the whole thing work properly the first time?
Hmm... Is it the animation length or the customization itself?

The only difference between the current version and the intended version (aside from making it do the same thing in the air) is that the animation loops. Just open it in PSA, go into the 'animation flags' for the SpecialNHold (or whatever it's called) and uncheck 'loop'. If that doesn't work, then there's something else wrong with it.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof

'sup guys. Geno here.
(Rendering is goofy in Brawlbox.)

Edit: Finished with both taunts.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
it's not SpecialNLoop that freezes, it's SpecialNstart. I had it set up while only changing each individual part, SpecialNStart is the only thing that still freezes. Right now, the best idea would be for you to just take the original animations, change the length to whatever you need, program him the way you'll use it, send that to me, and then I'll make him look pretty. You probably only need Start and End, actually.

Meanwhile, the model hacking isn't going as well as I had hoped. Mostly because I have no idea what I'm doing (then again, that's a sure-fire way to show that when I'm done, it'll be done right). I've been asking around a bit, but 3d software wasn't as easy to pick up as Photoshop was (which, ironically, I didn't understand when I got it either. hmm....). But instead of moping around and waiting for answers, I've decided to work on the design for his bone structure (that cape is going to be a lot more troublesome than you might think), and for alternate textures (so far I have 2 different ways to have the doll structure, 3 different outfits, and one idea that I thought would be pretty nice to try out, but I'd have to somewhat change what kind of doll he is).

Oh, Shadic, Nice taunt! The only way I could make it better is if I spent forever to actually weave his arms around each other (which I don't plan on doing with this model).

Anyway, class is starting. Keep up the good work!

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
One video for each on the front page. I didn't put the Waluigi one because having Waluigi there is kinda distracting, and he's being played by a CPU.

marter

Smash Apprentice
Toon Link, you are now hardly required, and now you are almost out of Brawl completely. Why, is a question that may come to your mind. You see, I'm here to announce:

R.I.P. Toon Link version 1.0

You see, with permission from Bionic Sonic, I found out I was allowed to post the .pac files that I have edited, in order to easily replace you in Brawl. That means that you can no longer show your face on the CSS screen, battle screen, and many other places. In fact, you are hardly in Brawl at all now. There are still a few places you can stay for now, but once we find out where the files you are hiding are, we'll kick you out.

Version 1.0 Features:

Alters the following:
Moveset "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Textures "Toon Link" to "Geno"
CSPs "Toon Link" to "Geno"
CSS Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
CSS Text "Toon Link" to "Geno"
SSS Stock Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
In-Battle Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
VS. Mode In-Battle Text "Toon Link" to "Geno"
After-Battle Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Tournament In-Battle Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Tournament CSS Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Tounament CSS Text "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Tounament Stock Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Training Mode In-Battle Text "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Home-Run Contest In-Battle Text "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Boss Battles In-Battle Text "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Single Player Events 35,37 and 39 pictures altered
Co-op Event 15 picture altered
Events Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Group Records Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Unlock notices "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Replay Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Brand New "Challenger Approaching" screen
Classic Mode In-Battle Text "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Classic Mode Ending Screen "Toon Link" to "Geno"
All-Star Mode Ending Screen "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Subspace Emissary "Continue" Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"

Cosmic Geno Dwonload : http://www.sendspace.com/file/p6vxmt
Fighter Geno Download : http://www.sendspace.com/file/qlb7yn

**NOTE**

This will replace all files that are in you pf or pfmenu2 folders, so back them up if you still wish to use them.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Awesome! Although you did miss bk_toonlink in pf\menu\titleloop\sunset.bbres.

Also, any luck in finding where it says Toon Link in the Victory screen? Haven't tested that out yet.

Great work!

Yunior597

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link, you are now hardly required, and now you are almost out of Brawl completely. Why, is a question that may come to your mind. You see, I'm here to announce:

R.I.P. Toon Link version 1.0

You see, with permission from Bionic Sonic, I found out I was allowed to post the .pac files that I have edited, in order to easily replace you in Brawl. That means that you can no longer show your face on the CSS screen, battle screen, and many other places. In fact, you are hardly in Brawl at all now. There are still a few places you can stay for now, but once we find out where the files you are hiding are, we'll kick you out.

Version 1.0 Features:

Alters the following:
Moveset "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Textures "Toon Link" to "Geno"
CSPs "Toon Link" to "Geno"
CSS Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
CSS Text "Toon Link" to "Geno"
SSS Stock Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
In-Battle Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
VS. Mode In-Battle Text "Toon Link" to "Geno"
After-Battle Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Tournament In-Battle Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Tournament CSS Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Tounament CSS Text "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Tounament Stock Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Training Mode In-Battle Text "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Home-Run Contest In-Battle Text "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Boss Battles In-Battle Text "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Single Player Events 35,37 and 39 pictures altered
Co-op Event 15 picture altered
Events Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Group Records Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Unlock notices "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Replay Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Brand New "Challenger Approaching" screen
Classic Mode In-Battle Text "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Classic Mode Ending Screen "Toon Link" to "Geno"
All-Star Mode Ending Screen "Toon Link" to "Geno"
Subspace Emissary "Continue" Icon "Toon Link" to "Geno"

Cosmic Geno Dwonload : http://www.sendspace.com/file/p6vxmt
Fighter Geno Download : http://www.sendspace.com/file/qlb7yn

**NOTE**

This will replace all files that are in you pf or pfmenu2 folders, so back them up if you still wish to use them.
Thanks a lot

marter

Smash Apprentice
Awesome! Although you did miss bk_toonlink in pf\menu\titleloop\sunset.bbres.

Also, any luck in finding where it says Toon Link in the Victory screen? Haven't tested that out yet.

Great work!
Yeah, I know I missed that, I didn't have a picture to use. Victory Screen after a VS. Match? No, I haven't. I'm starting to believe that some of these are going to be un-editable, and that a code may have to be used to alter all those texts from "Toon Link" to "Geno"

Thanks a lot
No problem.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
it's not SpecialNLoop that freezes, it's SpecialNstart. I had it set up while only changing each individual part, SpecialNStart is the only thing that still freezes. Right now, the best idea would be for you to just take the original animations, change the length to whatever you need, program him the way you'll use it, send that to me, and then I'll make him look pretty. You probably only need Start and End, actually.

Meanwhile, the model hacking isn't going as well as I had hoped. Mostly because I have no idea what I'm doing (then again, that's a sure-fire way to show that when I'm done, it'll be done right). I've been asking around a bit, but 3d software wasn't as easy to pick up as Photoshop was (which, ironically, I didn't understand when I got it either. hmm....). But instead of moping around and waiting for answers, I've decided to work on the design for his bone structure (that cape is going to be a lot more troublesome than you might think), and for alternate textures (so far I have 2 different ways to have the doll structure, 3 different outfits, and one idea that I thought would be pretty nice to try out, but I'd have to somewhat change what kind of doll he is).

Oh, Shadic, Nice taunt! The only way I could make it better is if I spent forever to actually weave his arms around each other (which I don't plan on doing with this model).

Anyway, class is starting. Keep up the good work!
It seems kind of weird what causes freezes and what doesn't, and where BrawlBox is accurate and where it isn't. I tried to make a new Geno Beam animation by simply using the regular Bow animation and changing his arm into a gunstick (shortening the upper arm, shrinking the hand, enlarging a finger). It didn't freeze, but although it looked great in BrawlBox, in the game his hand somehow got attached to his shoulder or something, the arm appeared hollow and the stick came out at a weird angle - but only on the startup and charge animations. On the firing animation, it looked fine. :confused: Wondering if it was specifically something related to the programming of the Neutral B, I tried using the same technique to make his hand into a gunstick on his BAir, and the game froze when I tried to use it. :urg:

Don't worry about the number of frames, if you can get a working animation the frame speed can be fixed up simply enough with PSA. That would be enough of an accomplishment as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and as for the Nod... I improved on it by copying and pasting shoulder, arm, and hand rotation data from Ganondorf's arms-crossed standing animation. It works!

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Erm. I've already got one that's finished, along with CSS and in-game portraits. fortwaffles made the other color textures.

I wasn't going to say anything until we had one complete pack to throw together, which marter here basically completed. >_>

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Erm. I've already got one that's finished, along with CSS and in-game portraits. fortwaffles made the other color textures.

I wasn't going to say anything until we had one complete pack to throw together, which marter here basically completed. >_>
Oh... Sorry Shadic, I thought I could contribute something, I should have read the topic.

Also, can you link me to the textures fortwaffles made? (If he released them.)

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Not released yet, I've never actually said anything, so it's not your fault. :p

We can always see which set are better, if you'd like. If you've made significant progress, I don't want to make that fruitless.

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
We can always see which set are better, if you'd like. If you've made significant progress, I don't want to make that fruitless.
Mine are just simple recolours of hair and clothing, etc. Red w/ Grey hair, Yellow w/ Red hair, etc. His is probably better, since I have no previous texture hacking experience.

marter

Smash Apprentice

Great, more textures for Geno! I'm glad I could contribute to this project, and help it move along.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Yo - just popping in from to say 'hey', and "Holy guacamole, you guys!".

I haven't come near this site in years, but once I return, what do I find? People have been hard at work creating an *actual playable* Geno. I've seen movesets, mock-ups, and even skins, but never, even since the days of the pre-release GameFAQs boards, did I ever expect something this AWESOME.

I really have to congratulate everything you guys have pulled off so far. You're making the dream of this disillusioned SMRPG fanboy a reality. *sniffle* It's just so beautiful... :D

Having said that, I read a good chunk of this topic, and still have some curious questions:

1) People keep mentioning adding an original model of Geno once a certain program is released. I follow you so far. When that happens, though, what plans have been made by this point as far as his appearance. Are you going for a traditional appearance, or are you planning on updating it a little bit? I ask, because if you're looking for some concept art, I'd be glad to oblige you with something I made a while back.

http://sparkofshadow.deviantart.com/art/BTW-3D-ish-Geno-69350088

Clearly it's not actually 3D, but when I saw what you guys were up to, I figured I'd share it. If it ends up being of any use, then hooray - if not, I'll leave it to you. After all, I'm a writer, not a graphic designer (... Jim).

2) What plans do you guys have thus far, concerning Geno's voice? What you've done visually is *already* impressive, but I found Young Link's voice to be a little distracting from that. I might be alone in that, so to each their own. Just figured I'd ask. In any case, is it even possible to change the voice of a character?

3) I noticed a screenshot a couple of pages ago that had your Geno standing on what looked *very* convincingly like a Forest Maze stage. Is such a thing in the works?

Anyway, another "Bravo", "Kudos", and "Hoochy Mama" to everyone involved with this. I will continue watching from the sidelines with anticipation. :D

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I concur with Shadowbolt in that Toon Link's voice is a tad un-Geno-y. But that's neither here nor there. (I always wanted to say that.)

Anyway, I enjoyed the awesome Mushroom Forest stage so much I wanted a proper brstm to go with it. So I mushed together a couple songs to make this, which I figured I'd share in case anyone else wanted it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3408506/MushroomForestMix.brstm

It includes the original Mushroom Forest theme, then fades (not-so-seamlessly) into two loops of the song IndigoFenix linked to:

And then it transitions into a Megaman remix for no reason other than that it transitions perfectly. And that I like Megaman.

This song:
http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01937/

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
To Shadowbolt:

Hi. Nice to meet you. The model, animations, and other nonsense like that is currently my job. I haven't posted any animations because I've been working to find either a) an already made model (which I have, I just need to get the guy to send it to me if he wants to), or b) a way for me to make one that actually looks right.
As for replacing TL's voice, I don't know much about it. I remember seeing a thread about editing sound effects, but I'm not sure if it's a proper science, or which sound effects to fill in. There's obviously the sound effects of Geno Beam and Geno Whirl which are going to need to be ported from the original (or remade to sound the same), but for the voice, we haven't really spoken.

And yes, that is a forest maze stage, made by Shadic and Sonicandtails. It replaces Temple just like Geno replaces TL (incidentally, if anyone were to edit the sss pac to replace the stage... ). I believe the download for the stage is in the OP. You might want to look around here for alternate stage loaders, etc. if you want to keep the temple stage as well.

radicaldreamernlcf

Smash Rookie
Dunno if it's been asked before, but would it be at all possible to create a move for Adult Link, that transforms him into Toon Link? (the way Zelda turns into sheik, and Samus turns to ZeroSuitSamus)
Was thinking the Toon link files could be stored in a folder that doesn't normally exist, as long as the move he does points to that folder when looking for Toon Link.

This way Toon Link would not have to be excluded from the game when using Geno, but he wouldn't be wasting a spot on the character selection screen either. :-P

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Dunno if it's been asked before, but would it be at all possible to create a move for Adult Link, that transforms him into Toon Link? (the way Zelda turns into sheik, and Samus turns to ZeroSuitSamus)
Was thinking the Toon link files could be stored in a folder that doesn't normally exist, as long as the move he does points to that folder when looking for Toon Link.

This way Toon Link would not have to be excluded from the game when using Geno, but he wouldn't be wasting a spot on the character selection screen either. :-P
Someone was talking about getting characters to work like that, I forget who.

Also, on a more strategic note, I would like it if that happened, honestly. I think TL needs his down-b bombs as a strategy for most players. But anyway, wait for the clone engine instead of saving the complicated coding for now.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
The other possibility is simply to replace an Alloy once we're able to properly do it.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
OK first off the two download links you got are a little messed up. I'm pretty sure because of the UpB attack i downloaded Cosmos Geno when i wanted Fighter, and the Cosmos one gives me a pac file named CosmicGenoVerson1.2.pac. aint it suppose to be a zip? on the hunch it wasnt, i put it in toon link's folder. Didnt work. Renamed it to FitToonLink00.pac and still didnt work.
Could i perhaps get a linky for the latest fighter geno, or am i doing something stupid?

Anyway, heres my review on Cosmos Geno:
This was all against a lv7 Mario CPU

NeutAttack:
Pros: Strong hit
------Doesn't "Tickle" the opponent. They will be moved by it.
Cons: Single hit. To me, it seems a little potent to not have a doubleswing on it like DK's Neutattack is. His first one is a joke, but the second has the punch behind it.

FTilt:
Pros: Very quick.
------Can be used repeatedly.
Cons: None noted.

DTilt:
Pros: Excellent AoE attack.
------Fast activation of the attack (no gap between animation starting and the actual attack)
Cons: Seems to lack hitstun. CPU rebounded almost the exact time he was hit by it.

UTilt:
Pros: Excellent upward reach (good for anti-air counters)
------Potential combo starter.
Cons:None noted.

FSmash:
Pros: Multihit (for those who let go of their shield too quick)
------18% damage - very nice for a simple attack.
Cons: To me i feel a delay when i use it. Almost like he's doing something i cant see before the attack actually begins. Also, theres virtually no upward range on it. Couple of times the cpu got out before the final hit because he was knocked upward too far.

DSmash:
Pros: Nasty AOE Attack
------Good aerial combo starter.
Cons: None noted

USmash:
Pros: Double hit for wider range of timing.
------High damage.
------Potent knockback for vertical killing blows.

NeutB:
Pros: Trapping ability. Practically worthless unless your target is an idiot or cornered (i.e. recovering). Insanely powerful if pulled off, though. I like it.
------Excellent range and damage.
Cons: Fizzles at "true full power" when his finger glows red.
------Aerial use is beyond fail. My suggestion: make it angle downward like Ness's fire attack and give it more range at 0charge, or let it charge in the air. If this is possible, that is.

FB:
Pros: Quick projectile.
------A move you will never need to master because you will never use it.
Cons: Wtf is this? It has very short range, a delay before it goes off, low damage, and in the air its even weaker than on the ground (less range and narrower hitbox). I'd say its the only move that needs total reworking for Cosmos Geno.

UB:
Pros: Excellent height gain.
------Damage buff for aerial final blows.
------Very VERY fast animation.
Cons: Doesnt even phase the opponent if you go through them.
Other notes: Appears to just add more knockback than damage as a buff. I noticed maybe 1-2% difference, but i noticed a severe knockback difference.

DB:
Pros: Awesome edgehogging move.
------Wide range.
------High damage (20%!)
Cons: My speakers freak out on me when its used. No idea why.

AirNeut:
Pros: Juggling move.
------Decent damage.
------All around character effect.

AirFTilt:
Pros: Unexpected fast attack.
------Good damage
------Character moves while attacking (additional recovery aid perhaps?)
Cons: Character moves before the attack begins. Couple times i went thru the cpu without hitting him at all. Very close range though.

AirDTilt: No comments one way or the other.

AirUTilt:
Pros: Vertical Meteor-like attack.
------High damage.
------Very quick.

AirBTilt:
Pros: Excellent knockback attack.

Throws: Leave them alone, theyre perfect.

Other notes: Overall i like it, alot, theres just a couple gripes i got that prevent me from playing it. His FB is virtually useless in my book. That one is minor tho, a single move can be overlooked (Yoshi's egg for example.....man that thing sucks). The other, however, needs tweaking: his jumps. I think this is why Cosmos Geno feels odd in the air. His initial jump is ENORMOUS while his second jump barely goes up at all. The overall height is fine, just these two need to be evened out. Shorthopping was almost impossible to pull off with him.
Very nice job so far. Keep up the good work.

Waiting on Figher Geno review.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
...I have no idea what you're doing for Fighter Geno. You open up the zip, and drag all the files inside to:
SD:\private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\fighter\toonlink

Edit: Looking at your comments, I'm pretty sure you actually were playing Fighter Geno. High gravity, super big first jump, smaller second one?

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
...I have no idea what you're doing for Fighter Geno. You open up the zip, and drag all the files inside to:
SD:\private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\fighter\toonlink
thats the thing, it didnt give me a zip when i downloaded the link on the OP. it gave me a PAC file for some reason.

Get A Load of This!

Smash Journeyman
You're playing Fighter Geno. Fighter and Cosmic Geno both have the same special moves and Up/Down smashes.

And no, you just put that pac file in the toonlink folder. No unzipping required.

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Okay, just to hint at something...

Let's say a PSA project I'm working on will make SMRPG fans happy. Try and take a guess from the following hints:

-He is a prince.
-He has worked alongside Mario, being his first ever partner in a Mario RPG game.
-He works alongside Geno.
-He can detach from his pants. (not in the way you think.)
-After he is done, the SMRPG team will now be fully playable.

Shadic and Indigo, if you would be so kind as to help me fulfill this project, drop a PM by my inbox. Trust me, you will know who this is.

Also, Fighter Geno truly amazes me at the amount of time put into this, and that this came out as one of the top PSA characters available right now.
Sorry for posting my randomness in your thread, guys. Just thought I would make you guys happy to play as the whole Seven Stars gang. ^____^

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
Dude! Mallow! Awesome!
okay, I'm done.

Lots of mallow's moves are probably going to need to be done from bottom to top (starting with animations), and I'd love to help, but I have little computer time as-is. But I'll be following the project if you start posting your progress. Can I get a link to the page?

cuckoos

Smash Journeyman
Dude! Mallow! Awesome!
okay, I'm done.

Lots of mallow's moves are probably going to need to be done from bottom to top (starting with animations), and I'd love to help, but I have little computer time as-is. But I'll be following the project if you start posting your progress. Can I get a link to the page?
Sadly, I have no "page" for Mallow at the moment, but however, there is an old old project I was working on (that I might revive ^_^) that has some progress and early alpha's and tests of Mallow. They are old, and I will be working on newer moves, but this is the best I can give you ATM:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=252538

And I would love to post progress, if Shadic Green-lights it. ;) Just until he is far enough to have his own thread.

And if that is the kind of reaction I am going to get from fans, hell, I'll work on it with double effort, for you guys.

Giygue

Smash Journeyman
FB:
Pros: Quick projectile.
------A move you will never need to master because you will never use it.
Cons: Wtf is this? It has very short range, a delay before it goes off, low damage, and in the air its even weaker than on the ground (less range and narrower hitbox). I'd say its the only move that needs total reworking for Cosmos Geno.
*chuckles* Man, if you knew ANYTHING about Geno, then that move would make perfect sense yo you.

Douhneill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Douhneill
*chuckles* Man, if you knew ANYTHING about Geno, then that move would make perfect sense yo you.
I concur. Try pressing A or B when the attack hits the foe. You might just change your mind.

And to cuckoos, I'm totally supporting a mallow project (I would have started my own if one wasn't started by the time I was finished with Geno).

Anyway, my 'rents are home. Gotta go.

Top Bottom