• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Scar

#HarveyDent
yeah it's a recent development

if there are any vids from saffron just last week he was really playing well

j00t

Smash Champion
Falcon Question!

When approaching a Fox, should I go for an aerial, like Nair, even Uair, or go for a grab?
I'm not sure what's the best thing to do and what not.
Exclusively choosing one over the other isn't the best idea... certain situations call for certain responses.

EDIT: Btw, are you that one guy on Pojo that has the Bellsprout/Slowpoke avatar >_>;

Turazrok

Smash Master
Falcon Question!

When approaching a Fox, should I go for an aerial, like Nair, even Uair, or go for a grab?
I'm not sure what's the best thing to do and what not.
Well, it would depend on what he's doing. Is he DDing? SHFFLing aerials? Being flashy with tech skill because he can? Laser camping?
It varies a lot because if he knows you're going for a grab, he'll probably just nair you.

edit: LOL NINJA'D

Scar

#HarveyDent
none of the above unless he's vulnerable which he never is

never approach fox or really any character for that matter

just wait for them to do something stupid and use your speed to get at them from there

what move you do to punish is entirely situational but i guess it would prob be best to knee

j00t

Smash Champion
What a ***** way to fight, Scar. Falcon would never approve of this >:[

Are you saying I can't even approach in the mirror match?

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
i think the best way to approach in dittos is to over-shoot a nair

usually they try to run away but get hit anyways

AxelSlam

Smash Ace
Mur-mur-murder Capital Awesome Level: 9000+
Exclusively choosing one over the other isn't the best idea... certain situations call for certain responses.

EDIT: Btw, are you that one guy on Pojo that has the Bellsprout/Slowpoke avatar >_>;
LOL yeah that's me :D

Well, it would depend on what he's doing. Is he DDing? SHFFLing aerials? Being flashy with tech skill because he can? Laser camping?
It varies a lot because if he knows you're going for a grab, he'll probably just nair you.

edit: LOL NINJA'D
Well, what should I do if he's:

a. SHFFL'ing
b. DD'ing
c. camping
or
d. techy

none of the above unless he's vulnerable which he never is

never approach fox or really any character for that matter

just wait for them to do something stupid and use your speed to get at them from there

what move you do to punish is entirely situational but i guess it would prob be best to knee
Sounds good, as well.

Scar

#HarveyDent
What a ***** way to fight, Scar. Falcon would never approve of this >:[

Are you saying I can't even approach in the mirror match?
i didnt make the rules it's falcon's ****ing fault for not having any good approaches

approaching in dittos is literally the worst matchup you can approach in bc falcons approach blows so hard but his punishment is so ****

j00t

Smash Champion
i didnt make the rules it's falcon's ****ing fault for not having any good approaches

approaching in dittos is literally the worst matchup you can approach in bc falcons approach blows so hard but his punishment is so ****
I would love to see a Falcon ditto with both players having this mindset. Someone has to approach ****it.

AXE 09

Smash Master
there's drug dealers in the bushes out there, trust me.
i'm a witness of this. trust me guys, he's not lying

hey, just curious... i've been asking this in a lot of threads lol. but...

what do you guys think of the pikachu matchup? just wanting to see how other players view this matchup

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
pikachu is gay

his up air OoS is better then shine OoS

and he can CG falcon

its not fair

and he has fox's upsmash

and his recovery is ridiculous

its definitely in pika's favor

edit: my summary is better then tomacawks because im better

pikachu's up air destroys every single one of falcons moves

its only does like 1% but it leads into grab/upsmash/dair/other **** stuff

Tomacawk

Smash Master
falcon vs pika is really weird
the way I see it is it's super close. uthrow->knee allows falcon to kill pika pretty reliably, and falcon can do a good job of staying out of pika's useless grab range. falcon also gets range + priority over most of pikas moves
but pika has a huge advantage in ledge guarding and gimping
the way I see it is the first hit wins this matchup
but maybe some better falcons have a different summary

j00t

Smash Champion
pikachu is gay

his up air OoS is better then shine OoS

and he can CG falcon

its not fair

and he has fox's upsmash

and his recovery is ridiculous

its definitely in pika's favor

edit: my summary is better then tomacawks because im better

pikachu's up air destroys every single one of falcons moves

its only does like 1% but it leads into grab/upsmash/dair/other **** stuff
lawl umad >:3

And no, it is an even matchup, probably slightly in Falcon's favor.

Pikachu is one of the most easily combo'd in the game, and dies to knee super early. It's like Falcon vs. Falco, except w/o gay lasers and a chaingrab that shouldn't be a threat unless you didn't ban FD (which you should).

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
no its not an even matchup

im pretty sure every falcon thats played a good pikachu will agree

its 60-40 pikachu

and im sure its been like that since like 06 or farther back

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I've played pikachad a decent amount and I'm pretty knowledgeable on this matchup and there's no way it's 60-40 pikachu
pikachu DOES have a lot of really **** things he can do to falcon but falcon for the most part if played properly can avoid it, and for everything he can't avoid he's got something equally gay

j00t

Smash Champion
I've played pikachad a decent amount and I'm pretty knowledgeable on this matchup and there's no way it's 60-40 pikachu
pikachu DOES have a lot of really **** things he can do to falcon but falcon for the most part if played properly can avoid it, and for everything he can't avoid he's got something equally gay
This pretty much sums it up.

Pikachu has a chaingrab, okay, Falcon has a guaranteed dthrow -> knee at pretty much any % (And Pikachu dies super early, like I said.)

Pikachu's upair is really easy to avoid... if you attack into the shield then you should have enough time to semi-CC the uair or roll away. If you're getting hit by it too often then try a different approach.

Pikachu's recovery is like Sheik's recovery (although a lot better) -- force the Pikachu to land on the stage and then get a free hit. If you don't get a hit then oh well, it's better than letting him get the ledge.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
right so its better to take the ledge and let pikachu get center stage advantage than to cover center stage and force pikachu to approach you....

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
This pretty much sums it up.

Pikachu has a chaingrab, okay, Falcon has a guaranteed dthrow -> knee at pretty much any % (And Pikachu dies super early, like I said.)

Pikachu's upair is really easy to avoid... if you attack into the shield then you should have enough time to semi-CC the uair or roll away. If you're getting hit by it too often then try a different approach.

Pikachu's recovery is like Sheik's recovery (although a lot better) -- force the Pikachu to land on the stage and then get a free hit. If you don't get a hit then oh well, it's better than letting him get the ledge.
chain grab and guaranteed d-throw > knee are not the same thing, having the chain grab is way better, way way way better

his guaranteed d throw knee doesnt happen well into the mid-high percents
and with decent DI pikachu wont die till atleast 90-100

pikachu's up air is NOT easy to avoid, if you attack pikachu's shield there is a 95% chance you will get hit by it, they only reason i can think of that you dont get hit by it would be a fly by down air where your out of there before he can get the up air out

if you hit pikachus shield and your infront or behind him, you will get hit by his up air OoS, it has ridiculous range

pikachu's recovery isnt like sheiks, im pretty sure if you do his up-b in a certain way theres no lag on it ( i think its only if you up-b down into the stage that you get lag) so you will barely ever be able to punish

and if your off stage, you get tail spiked

its definitely not even close to being in falcons favor, no way

plus pikachu has a projectile so he doesnt have to approach, most of the time the falcon approaches

j00t

Smash Champion
right so its better to take the ledge and let pikachu get center stage advantage than to cover center stage and force pikachu to approach you....
If Pikachu gets the ledge, he's probably coming back no matter what anyways, even if Pikachu is a lot worse on the ledge than Sheik. Pikachu still has the normal options, and most of the time that is enough to get back onto the stage.

If you force him to get on the stage, then atleast you have a chance of a follow-up attack.

Of course Pikachu can go much farther into the stage than Sheik, but if he's that close to the ledge before he starts recovering then it might be a good idea to cover the stage. But Pikachu has that option of changing his direction at the last second so I dunno.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Freaking IC's. I need to play more of them to get used to the stuff they do.

Anyone have some good IC advice?

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I always approach, that's why I lose. I picked the wrong main in this game.

Reaver I suck at the IC matchup but I've played Chu a bunch and the best thing I can tell you is to watch ALL of Azen's Falcon vs Chu's ICs. There are like a dozen matches online and Azen always seems to perfectly space one short hop fast falled knee after the other so he doesn't get shieldgrabbed by Chu. Then he forward bs at almost always the right time. Just watch what he does and replicate it.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I think Pika vs. Falcon is even, but it's much easier for Pikachu to play correctly than Falcon. Like, Falcon just needs to be gay and space properly, but that's really hard vs. Pika's uair, so until Falcon figures the matchup out I think Pikachu has a big advantage. But then Falcon's a huge *** who spaces nair, hits you once and then death combos you since you die to knee at like 70% cause you're just a little ****ing rat.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Yeah, I did a while ago. I guess I should watch them again just to refresh myself. Thanks thumbs.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
falcon vs pikachu is probably in falcons favor a little bit, pikachu dies to throw to knee combos at like 70%, is not actually that hard to edgeguard if you know how, nair is pretty wreck on pikachu, etc.

basically all you have to do is ban fd and watch out for uair oos, but even if they get an uair oos, they can land 6 in a row and it only did 20% probably

jona can act confident and say things like "any falcon that has played a good pikachu" or w/e, but he hasnt played a good pikachu and isnt very experienced anyway. i've played most of the good pikachus, and really the matchup isnt even close to as difficult as marth, peach, or ice climbers, all of which are generally considered evenish matchups

AXE 09

Smash Master
hmmmmm... it's interesting hearing everyone's opinions. i didn't know pikachu was so hard for falcon lol. i personally love fighting falcon but that's just me. i was just curious on other falcon players opinions

i wanna hear what GG7 has to say about it

so for the most part i'm hearing that the Uair out of shield is the biggest problem. i might start spamming that more haha

Top Bottom