• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 7 - It's Over, Nothing to See Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
lol accent

imma hopefully get my moveset up soon (as soon as i finish writing it :p)

i would comment on the posted sets, but it seems like everything i would have said has already been said, so...yeah
and i have to go do stuff :(

i like the audio commentary lol
*hint* if you dont bring up your accent, people wont think too much of it

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Nice seeing a newcomer. I'm pretty sure that Travis Touchdown hasn't been done, but there may be any amount of sets for a given character. Staking claims on a character can't stop anyone from making him, either, though I'm reasonably sure nobody is planning to make a moveset for him.
I am convinced Travis has been made before, but I'm too lazy to delve into the archives. If he hasn't been made before don't tell me- just say he has and keep me amused :mad:!

Anyways, Wizzerd is right (apart from the Travis part (wary)), you can make a set for whoever you want, and others can make it for the same person- but in that case try to keep them original.

And welcome to the contest Norm!

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I am convinced Travis has been made before, but I'm too lazy to delve into the archives. If he hasn't been made before don't tell me- just say he has and keep me amused :mad:!
I actually made Travis as my first serious set waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in MYM2...I don't think he's actually been made since...maybe in MYM3...? Not sure, all I know is I made him ages ago :p

But of course, you're totally able to make him now.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Surprisingly, this is going even slower than I had expected. But the Christmas season is upon us, and we just want to kick back and have a merry one, right?

Plorf

Smash Apprentice
In my plans I have a ton of Kirby sets, overlapping with three wintry sets, with a fire character as an appetizer. Also coming along is a Kirby joint with KK, and a Mega Man joint with Khold.
filler post lol

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Surprisingly, this is going even slower than I had expected. But the Christmas season is upon us, and we just want to kick back and have a merry one, right?
Kick back and have a merry one? I've been taking Finals and being sick, thank you very much. Thankfully I just finished off my last final, so I might be able to rescue this thread before to long.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Heh, in five days we don't even have two full pages. I remember a time... long ago... when you could count on a good ten pages a day, and you could refresh the page every five minutes or so and expect a new post. It's a pity. In the interest of breaking this long streak of nothing posts:

Revolver Ocelot is actually quite a good set, but it's so DRY! I mean, you've got all these clever ideas and they all cohere and everything, but somehow the package - the organization (boring colours and are colons really the best symbols you can find out there?), the heavy detail, the ponderous writing style, and even the picture at the start of the moveset (which could be substituted in for a moveset for "Generic Gunslinger" without skipping a beat) all contribute to make a set that's thoroughly difficult to attack. It certainly held me up for a long time.

I point this out because you seem to have a perfect handle on all the important aspects of moveset making itself. Revolver isn't exactly overflowing with potential, but you illustrate in clear and precise strokes that his playstyle makes him stand out. Unfortunately, he does mostly amount to a camper with touches of invisibility (and why is this so POPULAR this MYM, anyway?), so I wouldn't call this your best work, but it certainly reminds us that you're one of the big ones nowadays.

Next up is Silver, who I really have no quibbles against that I can't level against every single character in Sonic. Didn't play Sonic the Hedgehog and don't really want to, but since I made a moveset for Cannoli - in the equally panned Master of Disguise - I'm just going to move right along to the meat of the thing.

It bothers me that so few jabs nowadays have more than one hit. A shame. Feels strange to have as powerful an attack as Mental Burst as tilt, too.

As for the important stuff, I really do like this set. It feels very personal, like all of your sets, but also does playstyle better than you ever have before. Negative Man was a great set, to be sure, but let's face it - it's hard NOT to have playstyle once you come up with a concept that clever. And Tauros' never sat quite right with me. Silver isn't like that; he's spot on. The excessive platform manipulation doesn't quite capture the full scope telekinesis is capable of, but specializes and just does it so well. It adds up to a very intriguing character who also has fresh individual attacks. Definitely a great set, and just what's desirable in a Top 50 candidate.​

I wish these comments were longer, but at least I'm getting over that hump.

Junahu

Smash Ace
It's embarrassing to admit how badly I've neglected MYM this week.

Smash Daddy's Comment:
The concept of Audio commentry is fantastic and I'd certainly like to see more, from Smady and from anyone else. Seriously, everyone with a Mic start doing these. Hell, we could even record a group discussion or such through some sort of voice chat. Don't lie and say that wouldn't be totally awesome.

But, surprisingly, Smady's audio comment managed to do nothing a text comment couldn't have done. I can chalk this up to inexperience, but the delivery was a little too flat for me, almost as if he was reading a comment from a sheet of paper (and I can't rule out that possibility either)...
...lol, I commented on a comment.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
DATA LOG ENTRY 666 - OMEGA PIRATE

Behold, the latest and greatest of our Elite Pirate project! Subject Upsilon has a very high tolerance for phazon infusion, and as a result we infused him with Phazon far beyond normal safety measures. The result was heavily increased body mass and extreme resistance to nearly all attacks. Outfitted with even stronger weapons than a standard Elite Pirate, the Omega Pirate is our trump card, the pinnacle of Space Pirate bio-technology!

Here is a video simulation back when he was still in testing phases; Sadly he lost this encounter with a virtual Hunter, but rest assured he has only gotten more potent since then.

The Omega Pirate is truly a sight to behold for our adversaries. At twice the size of Ganondorf and even heavier than that infernal Koopa King, the Omega Pirate’s mere presence is enough to make our foes wet themselves. Sadly, his size causes him to move around sluggishly; he can’t move much faster than Ganondorf on the ground, nor can he jump very high. He is surprisingly capable of decent control over his aerial momentum but he still falls quickly so he can’t cover huge distances in the air. Still, this is not a huge concern. The Omega Pirates offensive capabilities are more than adequate to make up for any mobility problems.

DATA LOG ENTRY 691 - OMEGA PIRATE’S EQUIPMENT

The Omega Pirate is our ultimate soldier and as such as been afforded only the highest-quality weapons we can issue. He has many of the same basic weapons of the standard Elite Pirates, but they have been enhanced to fit the specific capabilities of the Omega Pirate as well as giving him new tools to further increase his potential. These tools are as follows:

691.1 - WAVE QUAKE GENERATOR
This is the primary and most versatile weapon in an Elite Pirate’s arsenal, and the Omega Pirate is no exception. With a neutral input of the Special Move button, the Omega Pirate shall raise his hands above his head as electrical energy forms around them, and then he smashes the ground, causing a shockwave of energy to radiate along the ground in front of the Omega Pirate. If in the air, he will plummet straight down until he hits a surface with which to use the attack, and if he starts charging in the air he will continue with the attack on the ground. It quickly travels along the entire surface Upsilon is standing on, and goes as high up as Olimar is tall. It deals a powerful 18% with knockback that KOs at 90%. While it takes a full .5 seconds to charge the shockwave, the Omega Pirate’s phazon armor prevents him from being knocked out of the preparations, and he can perform follow-up attacks only .2 seconds after generating it, allowing him to take advantage of the enemy’s reaction to the shockwave. One major reason for this weapon’s effectiveness is the Omega Pirate’s ability to cancel into this move from certain other attacks, mainly other attacks that utilize the electric generators used for the wave-quake. This removes some or even all of the startup lag to using this outright, though there is no advanced protection from crafty opponents trying to interrupt the attack, so it is recommended to employ various methods of using the Wave-Quake generator to keep opponent’s off-balance.

691.2 - DUAL PLASMA CANNONS
All Elite Pirates are powerful enough to have large artillery cannons equipped onto their backs, but the Omega Pirate’s immense size allows him to wield two of these powerful weapons simultaneously. This weapon can be used with a sideways Special Move input, which results in-

But sir! What about the Phazon Elite? It didn’t use a plasma cannon!

Shut up, private! The Phazon Elite was a freak accident and has never been replicated, it does not count towards the primary function of the Elite Pirate project! Now where was I? Oh, right. The Omega Pirate will pause for a moment as it readies the cannons (tests averaged at .5 seconds), then fires a simultaneous double plasma-burst that travels in a downwards arc, going as far as ½ of Final Destination before hitting the ground. The shot is the size of a Party Ball, and the force of impact creates an even larger explosion, the size of Bowser in fact! The shot itself deals 17% with knockback that KOs at 120%, and the explosion deals 14% and KOs at 170% due to the energy being less concentrated. This weapon has extra versatility when considering that the Omega Pirate can angle the shot up or down 45 degrees before firing. The recoil of the cannons makes the Omega Pirate vulnerable for .2 seconds afterwards.

691.3 - CHAMELEON MANTA
A piece of equipment unique to the Omega Pirate, this device allows him to enable a cloaking field that renders himself completely invisible. It is initiated with an upwards Special Move input, and then .3 seconds later the cloaking field takes effect. The field is incredibly effective, completely masking all movements the Omega Pirate makes, and it lasts until he takes 13% damage. WARNING: The current iteration of this device requires all other weapon-systems to devote energy to power the cloaking field; standard melee attacks may be performed without disrupting the field. If weapon usage is desired, the device may be manually turned off with the same input, and it takes only .2 seconds to deactivate the field.

You know sir, isn’t it ironic that this same technology is used by our Shadow Pirates, who are incredibly agile? I mean, the Omega Pirate doesn’t exactly seem built for stealth.

That may be true, but with this technology even slower attacks strike without warning, negating one of the Omega Pirate’s few weaknesses. Once the technology is perfected and ranged weapons such as the Wave-Quake are usable while cloaked, the Omega Pirate will be virtually untouchable! As if he wasn’t already...

691.4 - PHAZON COATING
Subject Upsilon has the ability to heal damaged organs by coating itself in Phazon. By simply performing a downwards Special Move input, he can absorb Phazon energy from the plating on his limbs and begin to recover damage. It takes .4 seconds for the healing process to begin, and then he starts to recover 3% for every .5 seconds he is left uninterrupted. The Omega Pirate can end his healing session and go back to attacking almost instantly.

691.5 - ENERGY-SIPHON
The Omega Pirate, like all Elite Pirates, has a potent shielding device designed to protect him from enemy attacks. While holding the Shield Button, this weapon is channeled through an outstretched palm, and covers an area the size of Kirby around that hand. All melee attacks that come in contact with the shield are deflected with the aggressor being repelled as far as ½ of Battlefield, and all enemy energy attacks are automatically drawn into the shield and absorbed. The Omega Pirate has no standard shield, but this is far more functional than any silly red bubbles.

But sir! The Omega Pirate’s shield is way too small to protect his entire body! Can’t an enemy just jump over it or target his feet?

A good point cadet, but the Omega Pirate’s size does not render him incapable of crouching. If he does so, he will hold the Energy-Siphon closer to the ground, allowing him to block low attacks. Jumping attacks may be a potential counter-strategy, but the Omega Pirate is so tall that actually jumping high enough to reach over the shield would be difficult for many adversaries.

691.6 - WRIST BAYONETS

Pictured above is the infamous Phazon Elite utilizing this weapon; a pair of retractable Phazon blades on the wrists that only further augment the impressive melee attacks of the Elite Pirates. The Omega Pirate has these mounted on his right hand and are initiated through Smash Attack inputs, to be covered in future log entries. They have proven to be invaluable tools and have been standard equipment for all Elite Pirates since the project’s inception. For reference, the Omega Pirate’s Wrist Bayonets are 1.3x the length of the sword of subject “Ike”.

DATA LOG ENTRY 700 - OMEGA PIRATE: CLOSE-RANGE COMBAT ANALYSIS

Sadly, most Elite Pirates are prone to bouts of insanity from their Phazon-based diets, which severely hampers their melee combat abilities. In fact, just the other day, one was fighting some Galactic Federation soldiers and just wildly swung at the air as the enemies fired round after round into him from range. Needless to say, we are down one Elite Pirate. However, the Omega Pirate has retained his intelligence, resulting in some finesse and control when in close quarters.

700.1 - HAND TO HAND
The Omega Pirate’s size gives him natural strength that can often be enough to take out targets. Even his most basic attack packs tremendous force as he delivers a crushing hook that is capable of dealing 11% and knockback that has knocked a target unconscious at 150%. While it takes some time to build up such a blow, it is nearly impossible to stop once he gets going and while he recovers from the swing his phazon plating prevents retaliation.

For a more frontal attack, the Omega Pirate will sometimes utilize a quick shoving attack with both hands. This knocks back an opponent as far as ½ of final destination. To further supplement the blow the Omega Pirate ads in electrical energy from his Wave-Quake Generator, causing the move to deal an impressive 16%. This attack can transition directly to an actual usage of the WQG, cutting the preparation time down to .2 seconds due to the pre-charge from this move. The downside to this shoving technique is that the Omega Pirate’s extreme height makes it possible for some enemies to outright duck under his hands, and it has a high recovery time. However, WQG usage is a viable option during the entire recovery of the move.

The Omega Pirate is often looking downwards upon his target, so he has developed a rudimentary tactic for dealing with particularly small enemies. With a somewhat sluggish straight-kick along the ground, he can hit even the most grounded of foes with 13% and knockback that KOs at 130%. However, it has been noted that the Phazon plates on the Omega Pirates legs will emit a red shield around his leg from the time the kick is actually performed to the end of the attack, which has the amazing effect of warding off enemy grappling attacks. This has been dubbed “anti-grab armor” and further investigation has been requested to test the effectiveness of this ability.

Sir, that’s just Ganondorf’s DTilt with invulnerability against grabs! Which would in turn mean it’s Captain Falcon’s DTilt!

Who?

Nevermind sir.

As I thought. Moving along, against foes who happen to have even more vertical height than he, the Omega Pirate can simply swing up his arms as they are coated in electrical energy, dealing 13% and vertical knockback that KOs at 85%. This move takes some time to start but has a favorable ending time. Thankfully this move puts the Omega Pirate into the perfect position to use the WQG, cutting down nearly all of the start-up time as he simply has to swing his arms down to emit the powerful shockwaves indicative of the weapon. A powerful anti-air technique that can be mixed in with anti-ground weaponry…truly the Omega Pirate is something to be feared.

700.2 - BAYONET
The Omega Pirate’s Wrist-Bayonets are used to increase combat options and provide more versatility in melee-combat. Any Smash Input will cause him to hold back his arm as the Bayonets extend. It takes .3 seconds for them to extend and then the Omega Pirate is in position to swiftly strike with the weapon before the blades retract. While the blades extend, and during a feinting phase some scientists refer to as “charging”, the pirate can move the control stick up, down, or forwards in order to change which attack he’ll perform. The Omega Pirate has developed techniques with the Bayonet that all begin from the same stance, so the enemy has no idea which of his attacks he’ll be performing.

The aptly-named “Forwards Thrust” is a direct, focused, thrusting motion directly in front of Upsilon. It deals 18-30% and KOs at 75-55%. This can be used as an anti-air attack due to the Omega Pirate’s height, but clever enemies have been known to simply pass under the strike and retaliate. Due to the focused poking motion of the move, it can be followed up relatively quickly so missing is not a large concern.

The “Downwards Sweep” is another simple but effective application for the Wrist-Bayonets. It is a powerful sideways swing of the weapon along the ground in front of the wielder. The Omega Pirate turns to face the camera while performing the move so he can even strike enemies who try to attack from behind. It deals 15-24% and KOs at 90-75%, making it weaker than the “Forward Thrust” but an ideal anti-ground move when the thrust simply can’t reach low enough to be effective. It also has a tad more recovery time than the thrust but is still not enough to be a pressing matter.

The final technique, “Uppercut Slash”, is a ground-to-air upwards swing of the bayonets. This give it unparalleled range in comparison to the other 2 slashes as it covers a huge total area, and the force of the attack has been seen dealing 20-40% and KOing at 65-45%! However, this technique also has an infamous amount of recovery time on the end of the move, so it is highly dangerous to whiff the otherwise overwhelming attack.

700.3 AERIAL COMBAT
The Omega Pirate is wise not to enter the air very often due to his heavy build, but he does have methods of attacking when more vertical height is required.

The most common strategy is rather neutral in terms of its area of effect. The Omega Pirate simply shoves one hand to each side, dealing 12% and Knocking back enemies as far as 2/3 of battlefield. It is a quick move but the Omega Pirate has been seen to have trouble balancing upon landing, leaving him vulnerable if he is forced to use this attack. If he is struck in the legs while in this state, he will trip and fall down to the ground stomach-first. Of course, his huge body will end up crushing the aggressor for 14% and a satisfying crunching noise.

For attacking directly forwards, the Omega Pirate brings his hands back and then performs a powerful 2-handed overhead smash backed by electrical energy. This move takes .3 seconds to prepare but deals an impressive 16% in addition to completely removing enemies from the sky and slamming them into the ground.

Yeah, it’s Extreme Beach Volleyball, Space Pirate edition!

Cadet, I thought I warned you not to spend so much time with those stupid Dead or Alive games. They’re nothing more than sex-appeal, and we have more important objectives right now than- err, as I was saying, when inquired about this technique, the Omega Pirate has claimed that he also fond of going from the charge-up phase of the move directly into the WQG, and it cuts down the charge time for that weapon to .25 seconds. Please note that he can’t do this once the actual attack is performed, only during the initial motions.

If he desires to deliberately aim behind himself, the Omega Pirate will simply reach backwards with one hand. This happens quickly enough but has been noted to have awkward ending time as he pulls back his arm. If he does catch someone, he will hastily swing his arm back to his front and viciously toss his foe into the ground, dealing 17%.

In the event that he is facing a flying opponent, the Omega Pirate tends to reach upwards with one hand, grab the foolish creature, then squeeze the life out of them, dealing 5% for every .3 seconds in his grasp as he crushes every bone in their body. There is no escape from our masterpiece! This is moderately fast to start and end.

If for some reason he actually wants to attack downwards while in the air, the Omega Pirate will harshly stomp down, dealing 20% and sending an enemy straight into the abyss. If the Omega Pirate hits the ground with the stomp, it has been reported that he actually causes a small tremor to occur that affects the ground to both sides for the distance of one Battlefield platform. This deals 10% and launches anything in the vicinity as high up as Marth is tall. While the stomp itself doesn’t take a huge amount of time to bring out, upon landing Upsilon takes about .5 seconds to get back into a fighting position. Fortunately his Phazon plates activate during this time to once again provide the curious “anti-grab armor”. We have recently been contacted by a being known as “King Koopa” who wishes to receive information on “anti-grab armor” to protect him from a strange eagle-like being. Negotiations are pending at the time of this log.

700.4 - GRAPPLING
The Omega Pirate’s large size makes it easy for him to simply grab hold of an opponent and bypass any armor they might have. In fact, while attempting to grab an opponent he is completely invincible for unexplainable reasons, most likely due to his determination to destroy his target. Good thing too, as we have estimated it takes .4 seconds for him to complete a grab attempt, though he is smart enough to actually reach along the floor when grabbing and his arms give him a mighty reach.

After grabbing the target, the Omega Pirate tends to crush them with his hand, dealing 6%, before slamming to the ground for another 5%. If the enemy wasn’t thrown to a lower level, he then stomps down on them, crushing them with his sheer bulk, dealing 9% before he kicks them away for 7% and KOing at 170%. Some dissenters say the Omega Pirate is being lazy by not considering alternative throws. That is usually followed by me forcing said personnel to guard the Metroid containment areas for the night.

700.5 - MOBILITY
It is no secret that the Omega Pirate’s primary weakness is his slow movement. In fact, he is incapable of dashing. Fortunately a work-around has been tested. If the Omega Pirate performs a dash input immediately after using the Wave-Quake Generator, he can ride the electric current of his own shockwave for the distance of 1/3 of Battlefield while kneeling. He can even go backwards for ¼ of that distance from the after-shot when the situation calls for it. This technique has been dubbed “Wave-dashing” by the Fox Unit, and they seem to have a strange obsession with it. Then again, they also insist that all Space Pirates only use our anti-projectile deflectors, and only fight in empty fields because it’s more “fair” for the enemy, which makes me question what happened to that unit back on Zebes…

DATA LOG ENTRY 724 - OMEGA PIRATE: OVERALL COMBAT ANALYSIS

The Omega Pirate has proven himself to be as powerful as I hoped. He is a true living tank that is capable of long-range assaults and crushing blows up close despite his low mobility.

The Wave-Quake Generator and Dual Plasma Cannon systems are extremely efficient at shredding through enemy platoons from a distance. Firing plasma bursts from various angles and adjusting the timing of WQG usage can make it very difficult for an enemy to successfully move into close range, but at the same time the Omega Pirate’s ability to heal himself makes it necessary for the enemy to attempt just that. To make ranged combat even greater, the Omega Pirate can simply absorb enemy projectiles with his Energy-Siphon. If the opponent is out of range, then careful use of “Wave-dashing” or simple walking should be used to close in enough to attack with the weapon systems.

When in close-quarters, the Omega Pirate is hindered slightly by his slow movements but has many tools for overwhelming adversaries with raw power. Using his “anti-grab armor” to strike from long range without fear of the enemy using strange shield-grabbing devices to counterattack is one effective means of attack. He can also simply pluck the enemy off the ground and crush them with his powerful grab. His Energy-Siphon is just as much a close-range defensive tool as it is for long-range, able to deflect enemy attacks and defend against a pressuring adversary. This is especially useful since it sends the opponent back to ranged combat where The Omega Pirate shines.

Don’t forget the mind games!

No worries, I was just getting to that. The Omega Pirate is better at varying his strategies than his appearance suggests. For example, he can use his anti-air shove attack and purposely wiff against a grounded foe. However, Upsilon now has a window of opportunity to transition directly into the mighty WQG. This makes his shoving attack essentially into a feint, as the opponent does not know if he will actually use his signature weapons or will simply wait out the ending time of his attack, safe from harm. In fact, his WQG in general adds a lot of potential mix-ups and variations to his close-range combat despite being a ranged weapon. The Wrist-Bayonet should not be forgotten as its various strikes and feinting maneuvers allow the Omega Pirate to make it completely unpredictable where he will strike with a such a far-reaching melee weapon. The last tool in this arsenal is his Chameleon Manta. Now it does not matter how slow his attacks may be, his opponent won’t know when one is coming in the first place!

But sir! What about more agile enemies that like to jump around?

Never worry, the Omega Pirate’s size actually makes it easier to defend against airborne targets than even our standard soldiers, and he doesn’t even have to leave the ground to do it! The WQG once again proves its vast versatility by forcing enemies into the air where the Omega Pirate’s anti-air prowess can take effect. The Omega Pirate is in trouble if he himself leaves the ground. He has a hard time covering all directions around himself and if he is sent off a cliff-edge he has little chance of survival due to his weight. I strongly recommend investing research into developing jet thruster equipment for our Elite Pirate forces so that this flaw does not turn into a crippling weakness.

Overall, the Omega Pirate has been shown to be a formidable and worthy addition to our ranks. He has lived up to his potential as a powerful unit capable of single-handedly destroying entire groups of enemies with his raw power. He is deadliest from afar but we have given him the tools to be a notable threat even at close range. He is already considered one of our most powerful individual units if not the strongest, imagine his power when supported by fast troopers to negate his only weaknesses!

DATA LOG ENTRY 750 - ELITE PIRATE PROJECT: IMPORTANT NEW DISCOVERY!

An exciting new development has been seen in the Elite Pirate project. Science team has constructed a device known as a Smash Ball. When implanted into an Elite Pirate, their internal Phazon surges with energy, taking on a powerful orange coloration. With this, their strength and mobility are increased by up to 20%! This makes them even more destructive than usual while actually taking away their one true weakness of slow movement. Sadly, the effect is only temporary (estimated duration 16 seconds with small samples), but when it subsides there doesn’t seem to be any adverse effects on the recipient. The Omega Pirate has been tested with a “Smash Ball” device with the same results. In addition, the Phazon surge is enough to power his Chameleon Manta on its own, rendering him able to utilize his Wave-Quake Generator and Dual Plasma Cannons while cloaked. His healing ability is also doubled. These “Smash Balls” have incredible potential and I am eager to see how they might be refined and updated in the future.

Spontaneous moveset is spontanous! I was playing Metroid Prime yesterday to cheer myself up after my Physics exam which I know I bombed, and I fought this guy, who is easily the hardest boss in the game. So I saw MYM was is dead and I went and, well, made this moveset in a day xD. I had a lot of fun writing it, so hopefully you guys will enjoy reading it and we can bring some life back into this place! And of course, my secret set is nearing completion and will hopefully be posted by the end of the month, so that's more HR to dread look fowards to!
- <3 HR

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
@Omega Pirate: He's too big! Great and original presentation! You used every attack that subject Upsilon used in the games (except for falling down on top of people, but that's not really an attack), and though some of the other attacks weren't that exciting, they all seemed right for the big guy. Loved your little comments throughout. Nice job for a one-day effort, H_R!

Now I'm gonna wait for someone to make a basic Space Pirate moveset. Space Pirate for SSB4! Speaking of, it would've been cool if Omega Pirate had a Space Pirate spawning move, but that's just me.

Physics blows.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Finally, a new moveset! Yay.

[size=+3]Omega Pirate[/size]
The writing style is instantly true to Metroid and is a funky one at that. But apart from the fun blue writing, it seems he's a heavyweight. OF COURSE, there were a few bits of humour in the set to lighten it up.

In terms of playstyle, it would seem to me that OP wants to trick the foe with the WQG in one example, and input his other moves from there on. Self healing seems almost a cheap tactic, but OP wants to tank and has no recovery, so it's almost fair. It would seem clear to me that OP's aerials are designed to ground foes even though his jumping sucks.

Funny enough, I thought that the Smash charging phase with the control stick mentioning was a special quirk for OP but it was actually not when I went back and read it again. I'd say that OP is balanced in power due to his slowness, where he would be knocking back his foes most of the time to prepare his killer projectiles. Though I can't really make out wether OP is under or overpowered as a character, but that doesn't really matter all that much. His size would get him owned in a FFA. Chain grabs, anyone?

The set is overall a clever one at that. Though I still think Super Macho Man is totally awesome and a funny set.

Smady

Smash Master
It's embarrassing to admit how badly I've neglected MYM this week.

Smash Daddy's Comment:
The concept of Audio commentry is fantastic and I'd certainly like to see more, from Smady and from anyone else. Seriously, everyone with a Mic start doing these. Hell, we could even record a group discussion or such through some sort of voice chat. Don't lie and say that wouldn't be totally awesome.

But, surprisingly, Smady's audio comment managed to do nothing a text comment couldn't have done. I can chalk this up to inexperience, but the delivery was a little too flat for me, almost as if he was reading a comment from a sheet of paper (and I can't rule out that possibility either)...
...lol, I commented on a comment.
Thank you for the feedback, Jun. Actually, it was all inexperience, as I found that reading from a script was too difficult without sounding completely wooden. Hopefully later ones will be improved.

Frf

Smash Apprentice
OMEGER PIRUT
Fun set, HR. The awesome organization and interesting concepts (grab armor is something new) created just in a day? Not bad, man. Not bad at all. This set doesn't thrive on creativity but I assume that isn't the point. The wave quake generator was something I could definitely tell you had fun fooling around with, and it managed to stay consistent throughout the set as well. A minor critique is the up special's invisibility, and as we all know invisibility is a tried idea throughout this contest. Not necessarily what it does, but the fact that it hardly, if ever, appears in the rest of the set or the playstyle.

Still though, the writing style. I've been fooling around with the thought of having characters "narrate" another set or their own set, and you've pulled it off well. I hope this trend catches on, because just having the set makers themselves narrate it can get boring after awhile. Plus, having the input of what attack is being mentioned subtly tucked within the description itself is brilliant.

Not my favorite set of this contest, and I favor Macho Man a bit more, but Omega tries new concepts and ideas that will hopefully inspire all of us in future sets. In one day Hyper_Ridley managed to pull off something awesome.

n88

Smash Lord
Omega Pirate

I swear you stole this idea direct from my head, although I was going to introduce Omega Pirate from Samus's point of view, rather than the Space Pirates'.

Anywho, I liked the narration of the set, although I found the private somewhat un-Space-Pirate-y. The main recorder captured the right tone, though. A bit of atmosphere may have been lost from the actual game, but it's still good. The organization seems haphazard, but it is logical when written as a Log Entry. An amazing set, and a nice jab at Fox Only, Final Destination.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
It bothers me that so few jabs nowadays have more than one hit. A shame. Feels strange to have as powerful an attack as Mental Burst as tilt, too.

As for the important stuff, I really do like this set. It feels very personal, like all of your sets, but also does playstyle better than you ever have before. Negative Man was a great set, to be sure, but let's face it - it's hard NOT to have playstyle once you come up with a concept that clever. And Tauros' never sat quite right with me. Silver isn't like that; he's spot on. The excessive platform manipulation doesn't quite capture the full scope telekinesis is capable of, but specializes and just does it so well. It adds up to a very intriguing character who also has fresh individual attacks. Definitely a great set, and just what's desirable in a Top 50 candidate.[/RIGHT][/COLOR][/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thanks so much fo the comment Rool! Regarding Mental Burst as a tilt, it's a bit powerful but it's also very situational, one of those high risk, high reward kind of deals. Negative Man's playstyle was by far one of the easier ones to make...especially since I didn't know how seriously people would take it, so I just made something that seemed really cool and humerous. Tauros I agree, as far as playstyle goes for him, Tauros is very paint-by-numbers, if you will...sure he has a playstyle, but it's a bland one that plays out like a spread sheet; "Do this and you'll win."

Anyway! Very glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for your praise =)

DATA LOG ENTRY 666 - OMEGA PIRATE
You've given me something to write about in the Recap! Thank you H_R! ;_;

Also, how does everyone like my new avatar? (H)

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Sorry HR, but we badly need another moveset

Lucario

#448 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It has the ability to sense the Auras of all things. It understands human speech.

By catching the Aura emanating from others, it can read their thoughts and movements.

A well-trained one can sense auras to identify and take in the feelings of creatures over half a mile away.

Lucario is a fighting-steel type type Pokémon, first appearing in the fourth generation. Lucario is known as the Aura Pokémon. He evolves from Riolu. While Lucario does learn some bread-and-butter fighting and steel type moves, he learns some rather strange moves- one of only two non-legendaries to wield Aura Sphere, as well as the Dark-type Dark Pulse and Dragon-type Dragon Pulse- perhaps due to their associations with aura.

Aura ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some moves will refer to a certain quantity of units of aura being lodged onto the foe; well, what is aura? Certain moves, when landed, cause several small bits of aura to be lodged onto the foe, indicated by them trailing the blue fire (more thickly with more aura), just like after hit with an aura attack in Brawl. Each individual unit of aura will stay on for a second before fading away. Each unit of aura on the opponent causes them to take an additional 1% from attacks plus a little more flinching or hitstun (no more knockback, however) while it's around. Up to seven units may be on the opponent at once, and 7% extra plus more hitstun can be helpful to a Lucario player. Aura will last longer if more aura is already on the opponent when lodged, each one raising the new one's lifespan and its own by half a second; that's a maximum of a four second lifespan (since you won't be able to land aura on an opponent with seven units already). Note that even with aura, Lucario's non-damaging attacks will still deal no damage. Only the final hit will gain the extra damage on a multi-hit attack. Aura is greatly beneficial to a Lucario player, as you'll soon see.

Statistics ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 Power - Run 4

8 Speed - Traction 9

5 Range - Jump 7

3 Weight - Fall 2

Special ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Neutral Special - Aura Sphere
Lucario's trademark attack. This is chargeable and storable, and it takes about as long as in Brawl to charge. Firing the sphere has the same lag as in Brawl, and has the size of a 100% Lucario Aura Sphere in Brawl, as well as having similar speed and range. Firing it sees Lucario flick his finger to send it flying forward, and this deals 1%-18% depending on charge with two units of aura.

Unremarkable on its own, of course, but you can fire this out of other attacks. Simply press B during the lag, and the sphere is launched forward with the same lag but no animation, no matter which attack you're doing. You can't fire this out of things like hitstun or grab-release, just attacks. If you use it too late in the move, the ending lag will increase due to having to complete the rest of the animation, but this is a useful tool for cancelling end lag or building up aura safely.

Side Special - Dark Pulse
A Dark-Type move, but one of Lucario's trademark aura-based attacks. Lucario points his hands forward, as a sickly purple ball the size of Lucario's fully charged Aura Sphere at 0% in Brawl appears in a flash. After the startup lag (comparable to Meta Knight's forward smash) the orb begins letting loose smaller orbs each the size of an uncharged Aura Sphere, which fire forward at the speed of Wolf's Blaster and deal 4% on contact. The rate of fire is almost three per second, so this is difficult to escape at the best of times. This can be held until eight orbs are fired, but Lucario will suffer from ending lag relative to the time he held Dark Pulse for; with eight balls fired it's comparable to Lucas's Up Smash! Of course, the more you've fired the further they are away and the harder this is to punish.

Dark Pulse is a difficult to land attack with a dramatic effect, which must be comboed into to have a hope at landing it on a competent foe. Most of Lucario's moves following this pattern are finishers; however, Dark Pulse is more of a damage dealer. It's a dramatic one, but it leaves the opponent much too far away to follow up. This is valuable for a final damage dealer to end a combo.

Up Special - ExtremeSpeed
The name is reused, but this move works in a somewhat different fashion to ExtremeSpeed in Brawl. Lucario clasps his hands together for startup lag identical to it in Brawl before launching upwards at a blinding speed- even quicker than Sonic in his Final Smash! He travels a little further than in Brawl, and he can sweetspot ledges and go into a wall cling or wall jump out of this. The biggest difference from Brawl is that Lucario literally has perfect control over his trajectory. Tilting the Control Stick in any direction at all at any time will cause Lucario to direct his momentum that way, not suffering from any lag and not losing any of his momentum. This allows Lucario a very safe recovery, agily dodging edgeguarders.

While this deals neither damage nor knockback (or aura), it's quite valuable as a comboer. If Lucario ever hits an opponent, they automatically flinch. Lucario can weave back into the opponent for punishment if he's approaching the end of ExtremeSpeed's duration, but the flinching won't stack or renew or anything. This means you'll need to weave in at the very end of the flinch, rendering the opponent unable to escape and leading into a move! A tricky to use move, but it can start a combo and lead into a somewhat difficult-to-land move to a certain extent (the flinching is not long, as it goes) if you use it right.

Down Special - Dragon Pulse
A Dragon-Type move, but like the Side Special, one of Lucario's trademark aura-based attacks. Lucario crosses his legs and floats in midair in meditation as a light blue ball of aura appears in his hands for startup lag identical to Side Special, remaining out for nearly half a second before disappearing. Lucario has super armor to take advantage of as he enters this state. However, this serves a very different purpose than Side Special. Opponents within a Bowser around Lucario are suddenly pushed away from the orb with the force of Ness's PK Shove (the ending frames of his Down Special), with the same speed and knockback. By default this will knock opponents away from the orb, but by tilting the Control Stick the push can be aimed in any other direction. In any case, after the shove, the opponent suffers from stun equivalent to Falco's laser. This deals no damage, though it does latch on one unit of aura.

While casual players may find this move to be quite useless, it's actually one of Lucario's most useful moves. Why? It's an amazing combo move. Leading into loads of moves, this is one of the only ways Lucario can get his most difficult to land combo finishers like Forward Smash to land properly. Of course, this is quite difficult to land itself! Mix it up or use it after a move with significant hitstun- which isn't difficult to find with Lucario.

Standard ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Neutral Attack - Force Palm
Lucario performs a simple palm thrust, dealing 3% with flinching knockback and one unit of aura for each hit. When first used this is a little laggy for a jab (though it's still easy to land, as a jab), but after using it once Lucario can initiate it again out of the ending lag, allowing it to be landed multiple times in a row (though three is the max). This doesn't deal that much hitstun, but the duration of the move is a hair shorter than the hitstun, and by landing this multiple times in a row, the hitstun will stack. This doesn't add up into too much hitstun, but it's a safe way to lead into several moves, most notably Metal Claw (see below). This also has impressive priority, though as a jab it's nothing too special.

Forward Tilt - Metal Claw
Lucario thrusts his arm forward with his palm tilted back, attacking opponents with the metallic cone on the back of his hand. This is surprisingly laggy- the startup lag is comparable to an average Smash Attack- and there's a low payoff, 11% with okay knockback, but since Lucario has ways to put his opponents into hitstun he can land it easier than one might think. This causes a good bit of hitstun to the opponent, but this can only be followed up easily at low percentages, as otherwise the opponent is too far away for the hitstun to be capitalized upon. The claw is disjointed as well, with good priority, which may come in handy sometime. Overall, this is one of the main things you want to try and combo into, as it's a tad difficult to land otherwise... though the effect isn't that impressive.

Up Tilt - Karate Chop
Lucario holds an open palm beside his head, standing on one leg, then abruptly stomps forward with his palm outstretched to perform a karate chop. As it sounds, this has startup lag, though not quite as bad as Forward Tilt. There is nearly no ending lag, however. Similarly to the Up Tilts of Captain Falcon and Samus, this has a hitbox in front of rather than above Lucario. The move itself has two hitboxes: the stomp and the karate chop. Opponents hit by the "sourspot" stomp take a mere 5% and take knockback behind Lucario, with a bit of hitstun. Despite being a sourspot, this actually has its uses comboing. Still, it's generally preferable to land with the sweetspot, as it deals a nice 15% and set knockback which might lead into a Dash Attack landed just right, though nothing else. The sweetspot also deals hitlag comparable to Samus's Charge Shot... out of which you can use Aura Sphere...

Down Tilt - Cross Chop
Similarly to the charging animation of Sheik's Up Smash, Lucario raises his arms into an X above his head. Upon release, he chops his arms past each other, to form another X crossing each other- hence, Cross Chop. This move has a bit of startup lag comparable to the above Up Tilt. Each arm is a separate hitbox dealing 8% with low horizontal knockback which can't be followed up on and rather poor hitstun: it won't lead into combos, it will actually allow the opponent to combo you due to the ending lag!

However, landing both arms as they cross each other allows both hitboxes to merge! This deals 16% with no knockback but a good level of hitstun. This move has a surprising bit of ending lag so it can't be followed up on as efficiently as one might wish, but it can lead into a grab: which is fortunate, as it leaves Lucario in a disadvantageous situation otherwise.

Dash Attack - Close Combat
Lucario does a floaty leap forward the length of a Battlefield platform, peaking at half the height of Kirby before floating toward the ahead ground with speed identical to a Lucario in Brawl performing the motion. Lucario can jump (but not direct the preceding jump) to cancel this, being a nice way to combo into an aerial, but the attack doesn't come in unless Lucario lands. Once he does land, he lets out a stream of close-ranged punches and kicks. Each punch or kick is an individual hitbox dealing 2% with very low upwards set knockback and okay hitstun. There are eight attacks in total, the move lasting a lengthy second. This means a 16% payoff if every hit lands, which is often, as this is quite difficult to DI out of. The final hit does nice upwards knockback; in fact, it's Lucario's only reliable way to get into the air.

A very tricky move to land. A good opponent will usually be able to predict this despite the potential for cancelling it with a jump or performing an actual jump into an aerial, so it can't really be landed out of the blue. Still, by comboing into it with moves like Neutral Special, Up Tilt, and Forward Aerial this can be consistently landed despite the predictability. One would do well to learn so, as again, this is Lucario's only reliable way to get the opponent into the air.

Smash ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forward Smash - Brick Break
The animation for this Smash Attack is rather simple; Lucario opens the palm of his hand and holds it behind his head, performing a karate chop when the charge is released. This deals an excellent 18% to 32% with good to great knockback depending on charge, but there's a catch: this has very bad startup lag, about two-thirds that of Dedede's Forward Smash! Thankfully, an opponent is sure to die once hit by it, and the special property of instantly halving to breaking shields, going through reflectors and other defensive moves and ignoring super armor/invincibility frames may come in handy sometime. Also, like Lucario's Up Tilt, this has exceptional hitlag.

Up Smash - Bullet Punch
Lucario holds his arm to his side and hunches down like a spring as he charges, then lets out a straight-upwards spinning punch in an instant upon release, holding it up for a period before returning to his idle stance. This literally has no startup lag, and the ending lag is minimal, but the duration of almost a second may be punished, albeit not strongly. The punch itself deals rather low damage, 8% to 18%, but the knockback is always decent enough and can KO, though not very early at all. What makes this so useful is the exceptionally long hitlag, even longer than Zelda's Forward and Back Aerials or Samus's Charge Shot.

This could be followed up on in theory, but in practice the duration is too long to follow up on... but with more units of aura on the opponent, there's more hitlag. With seven units it's possible to even C-Stick (but not charge)a Forward Smash, and even with two or three a Neutral Attack is possible. A valuable combo tool, if you can set it up right.

Down Smash - Counter
Lucario crosses his legs and floats in the air in a meditative stance for 1-3 seconds, having a little extra ending lag if he lands without the effect coming into play. This doesn't have any startup lag, however. If Lucario is hit by an attack other than a projectile in this state, he will take full damage from it... but he lets out a simple arm thrust in the direction he was hit, having excellent range. It deals no knockback, but 1.5X the damage the attack dealt to Lucario, as well as hitstun and aura dependant on the damage taken by Lucario (specifically, it's one unit for every 10% dealt). Lucario's arm has good range, about as long as Marth's sword. Still, you don't want to try and use this against exceptionally well-ranged attacks as Lucario takes damage and does none back!

While this is a very effective move at first, note that it is horrible to spam this. This loses effectiveness when stale, losing .1 of the multiplier for the arm thrust. That's half the damage of the initial attack fully staled! In addition, this can quickly become predictable: and once it does, Lucario is vulnerable to grabs, and the opponent can use the time to charge up a Smash Attack to land once Lucario ends the move. This has its uses but should still be used sparingly.

Aerial ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Neutral Aerial - Focus Punch
Lucario tightens his fist and holds his arm to his side, tingling with aura, for a brief period before letting out a simple, straight-ahead punch. This has a sourspot and sweetspot; hitting anywhere but the fully extended fist deals 7% and nearly no knockback and hitstun, but this has its uses; Lucario's fully extended fist deals a nice 15% with no knockback but solid hitstun with a single unit of aura. Still, the startup lag is about that of a Smash Attack, so this isn't nearly as useful as it could be.

But by holding the A button, Lucario can hold in the punch- he can negate the startup lag this way, immediately punching once the A button is released. Lucario can't move in this state, but he does retain all momentum: and as you should recall, Lucario is floaty with excellent aerial movement, making this double as an approach. Master the use of this, and as far as combo starters go, you'll find this quickly becoming your bread and butter.

Forward Aerial - Focus Kick
Lucario extends a leg before him angled upward, similarly to his Forward Aerial in Brawl. In fact, it looks almost exactly the same. Being hit by Lucario's outstretched leg will deal 8% and low upwards knockback that can't really be comboed off of, but the flash of aura when his leg is fully extended deals 14% with low knockback, but impressive hitstun and a single unit of aura. However, at first glance the long duration of this attack (almost two-thirds a second) makes it useless.

However, by holding the A button Lucario will hold out his leg, allowing him to keep the attack out until he hits the ground. It becomes a sex kick this way, decaying to 4% or 10% after held out for an addition two-thirds of a second. It loses some hitstun too, but not too much. Lucario retains all horizontal momentum, so this is a potential combo starter or approach if you can use it properly (holding it out to take advantage of the nonexistent ending lag).

Back Aerial - Pushoff
Lucario kicks backwards in what is at first glance a generic back kick in the vein of virtually every character in the game. However, this works a little differently; it deals damage and knockback (11% and set of around half a Battlefield platform), but Lucario uses the opponent's body to push off an equivalent half of a Battlefield platform, if he lands it, of course. In theory this is a quite excellent way of spacing for a Dash Attack, but in practice this can be teched out of with the proper timing (easier than usual) and it leaves Lucario's back to the foe, and he has to turn around and dash before starting that Dash Attack which may be dodged or miss altogether.

However, by pressing the jump button when Lucario hits the opponent, he'll instead footstool them and propel himself upward the distance of his (powerful) second jump. This is an excellent setup for a Down Aerial because, while it can be teched just as easily as the primary version, it's easy for the opponent to DI wrong (forward). Mix up these two attacks and you'll find this a valuable, albeit a tad unreliable, combo mechanism.

Up Aerial - Hammer Arm
This move looks quite similarly to Lucario's Up Tilt; he holds his hand at the side of his head before slamming it horizontally forward. However, Lucario's fist is clenched, making his arm look like a hammer as it swings down. It's a powerful hitbox, dealing 16% and a powerful meteor smash, and the opponent will take exceptional hitstun if they hit the ground: but this has bad startup lag, around 1.5X that of Lucario's Up Tilt, Karate Chop. However, by mashing buttons Lucario can delay his swing by up to a second, simply holding his clenched fist behind his head and occasionally twitching it forward, which could psych out the opponent. If you do manage to land this, this is an excellent way to lead into a Forward Smash finish. Of course, landing it is the hard part.

Down Aerial - Aura Bullet
Lucario slams down in a stall-then fall fall (no startup lag to speak of) at the speed and at the angle of a midair Falcon Kick, engulfed in aura to make his body (and hence this move's hitbox) slightly bigger. This is angled forward slightly in the direction Lucario was facing like Falcon Kick again, but Lucario can angle himself in either direction without lagging at all by tilting the analog stick. However, he can only go in two directions: angled to the left or right. Opponents caught in the move itself take rapid multiple hits- 1% eight times a second- and a unit of aura every second they're caught. This is very difficult to DI out of, but since Lucario is falling so fast it won't deal too much damage anyways.

Once Lucario and his opponent hit the ground, he takes no landing lag but the opponent takes a bit of hitstun for every eighth of a second they were caught in Lucario's rushing body. It's about a quarter that of Falco's laser for each hit, and by imputting it immediately after hitting the ground, this can lead into a C-Sticked Forward Smash if the opponent was caught for a second or more. This means starting it up high off the ground. It's far from a problem for Lucario to get there what with his powerful jumps, floatiness and amazing aerial DI, but getting the opponent there is more difficult seeing as he is limited in terms of upward-hitting attacks.

Grab ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grab - Aura Grasp
Lucario simply brushes his hands ahead of himself in a rather standard grab; this has very short range but is very quick (albeit the grab hitbox stays out very briefly). However, each unit of aura on an opponent will add range to the move; an aura-d opponent will be dragged towards Lucario if he grabs them from a distance, about .2 Stage Builder Blocks for each unit. This means that Lucario's grab has quite exceptional range on a fully aura-d opponent.

Pummel - Twist
Lucario simply twists his hand on his opponent's face. This isn't nearly as spammable as Lucario's pummel in Brawl, but it is still pretty quick. Deals no damage but latches on a single unit of aura (remember non-damaging attacks won't do some with aura, no damage with this at all).

Forward Throw - Rolling Kick
Lucario tosses the opponent forward with set knockback of around 2/3 a Battlefield platform and 1%, with a bit of hitstun. Immediately after them hitting the ground, Lucario curls up into a ball the size of Kirby, and becomes controllable to move in any direction with controls identical to that of Jigglypuff's fully charged Rollout. However, the roll ends if Lucario stays in this state for more than 1.5 seconds or turns around more than once. Slamming into the opponent merely does 3% with very low set knockback, but by pressing the A button Lucario immediately cancels the roll into a kick that looks similar to his Dash Attack in Brawl. It deals an impressive 14% and good set knockback of around a Battlefield platform with good range. This can't be followed up on at all combo-wise due to the lack of hitstun, but it can score cheap KOs on walk-off stages.

Backward Throw - Reversal
In a rather unremarkable throw, Lucario turns around and punches the opponent; the power is unremarkable as well, 6% with low knockback and hitstun. This is a half-decent combo starter, but Lucario has better ways of doing this; best used in FFAs for its speed, right? If Lucario is behind in the match (3rd or lower in an FFA), his fist is imbued with aura as he punches, making this do 12% and a unit of aura with lengthy hitstun, though the duration is a tad longer than it was before. This leaves the opponent downed, so it's tricky to follow up, but it's long hitstun and it's a safe start for a hopefully long combo.

Up Throw - Mach Punch
A very simplistic throw, but it has to be to be so utterly reliable. Lucario simply uppercuts the opponent for 6% and set upwards knockback. Used correctly, from here you can chain some Aura Spheres, or just Dragon Pulse the opponent upward, to start a midair combo: difficult, with Lucario, traditionally. A rather important move.

Down Throw - Metal Sound
Lucario lowers the opponent to the ground in their downed position, and clashes his metallic claws together above them about half a second later. From here they're technically released from the grab; they can roll away, get up, do nothing or use their Downed Attack (not their rising attack, which doesn't actually exist). If they rise up by getting up or using their Downed Attack, they are hit by the twin claws take 6% and little hitstun (but Lucario suffers from no ending lag), and if they roll away or do nothing, Lucario's claws make a horrific sound like nails on a chalkboard to stun every other player in the match with the strength of a Deku Nut (Lucario suffers from bad ending lag from this version, however). Win-win situation, right?

Final ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Super Attack Final Smash - Aura Finish
Lucario enters a meditative stance, floating over the ground with his legs crossed. 2/3 of a second later, he flashes a deep blue color for one frame (a single frame, that's 1/60th of a second!). Opponents overlapping his body, similarly to Jigglypuff's Rest, will take 32% with obscene knockback and a full seven units of aura. For all intents and purposes, this is an OHKO.

However, despite being so powerful, this move has two things holding it back. First, the ridiculously specific hitbox mentioned above- but second, the meditative stance is not a cinematic. It's startup lag. That's right, Lucario can be hit out of this just like a standard attack. These two things make Aura Finish notoriously difficult to land...

...Unless you do what Lucario was meant to do to land it. If you somehow haven't picked up on it, that's comboing. While it's far from easy to combo into Aura Finish, Lucario can do it. It's usually comboable into in the same manner of one of Lucario's few finishers. If you do manage to learn the use of this Final Smash correctly, it could be quite useful. Note that, to compensate having to combo into this, it's three times as difficult to knock the Smash Ball out of Lucario as it would be with other characters, and he can switch between this and Aura Sphere with a spotdodge (though he remains glowing, and he can still lose the Smash Ball).

Playstyle ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The one word that can sum up Lucario is flow. With the Aura Pokémon you are not seeking to camp with projectiles, nor do you focus on blowing away the opponent in single, powerful hits. What Lucario is trying to do is trying to flow across the battlefield. All of his moves are near useless on their own, and must be used in conjunction with other attacks.

What this means is that Lucario is an utterly ferocious combo character. Simply put, Lucario's attacks do the hitstun and weak knockback one needs to follow up with. The most vital thing about Lucario's comboing is his aura, the blue fire certain attacks latch onto the opponent. Aura, while short-lived, will make comboing both easier and more potent. The problem is that it's rather rare. Lucario's moves that induce aura are rather thinly spread, and many of them require a sweetspot or need to be comboed into themselves. The one exception is Aura Sphere. It's a rather dodgable projectile on its own, but it's still possible to get some aura on the opponent before a combo to make it more powerful. That said, it's most valuable within a combo. The fact that Lucario can initiate Aura Sphere during literally any other attack can be scary. Still, it's rather hard to handle, as initiating and directing it may be too much to handle, given the complex button imputs a Lucario player must learn to combo. Still, it can add lots of damage and ease of use to a combo, once mastered.

The flipside of this is that Lucario has difficulty KOing, and unlike certain characters he isn't a master gimper to make up for it, though he certainly is capable of gimping (Dragon Pulse is capable, but has too much startup lag to be amazing). Lucario's KO moves are powerful, and if you land them they're assured to remove a stock from the opponent: but the problem is landing them. His main KO move, Forward Smash, is full of power, but it has lots of startup lag. Up Smash is certainly a possibility, but it isn't very powerful at all and is punishable. Down Smash is just too unreliable. Whenever you can you should try to find ways around it with gimping (works well on Ness and Lucas due to their slow Up Specials) and chaining off the stage (works well with large-hurtbox heaviweights), but most of the time he's forced to find a way to finish the opponent off.

What you should be trying to do to land that KO move is to combo into it. As stated before, Lucario is a combo beast; however, building up to a KO move may take a while and is escapable. Using Aura Sphere during it makes it easier, but this is difficult to do. Basically, you're flowing into a KO move: stack the hitstun of a Neutral Attack into a Side Tilt or Up Tilt to space properly for a Dash Attack which leaves the opponent in position for a Down Aerial... well, you get the idea. Then the opponent is helpless before even a laggy move.

Lucario has some powerful damage dealers to flow into, too. The most notable of these is his Side Special, Dark Pulse. It's virtually interchangeable with Forward Smash in how you use it: build up the hitstun on the foe to finish them off with a menacing move, except this time you aren't actually finishing them off. Another is Down Aerial, which can deal lots of damage when initiated high up and combo into something else itself.

This means Lucario always wants to have a goal in mind, something to build towards, as he combos. Lucario's combos are powerful on their own, but by building up to one final finisher they can border on ridiculous. What should be important is what you build towards, not how you do it.

Lucario is a character full of potential. Without practice he is a rather mediocre character, but anyone who puts in enough time (and that's a lot of time) into him, they can find him being a highly effective character. While there are few Lucario mains, those that exist will be practiced, making their Lucarios a truly menacing force.

The Great Sakurai

Smash Rookie
Vespiq uen

When the flower blooms, the bees come uninvited.

Vespiquen is one of 8 Pokemon in Pokemon developed by Dr. Rowan, whose expiration dates had expired. She was originally designed to manage a Flower Park, a trait which shows up rather heavily in her Playstyle. Her weapon is the Combee Chaser, which shoots out three Combees to chase Megaman. Well named.

Her weakness in Pokemon is Overheat. In Brawl, while she only takes an additional 1.2x damage from fire effects, any Hives and Combees will catch on fire if they're hit. This makes them take 5% a second until they collapse into a pile of ashes. Please note that if a Beehive is destroyed in this manner, it will not create any new Combees like it usually does.​

Height: 8

Weight: 6

Power: 7

Fall Speed: 7

Jump: 3

Air Jump: 5

Speed: 6

Traction: 5

In this moveset, I use the term "Honeyfied" a lot. What exactly IS this term? Well, several of Vespiquen's attacks will cover the foe (or herself, even) in Honey. This delicious, gooey substance sticks to the foe much like a Gooey Bomb would, except that they can't pass it off. When Honeyfied, their idle stance changes to them wiping the honey off their body, and licking their fingers. Animal-like Brawlers (such as Pikachu) will instead directly lick their bodies. If left alone, they'll be able to recover 2% every second by doing so.

However, they're not the only ones with an interest in the Honey... if they are in the range of any Hives (explained in the Neutral Special), idle Combees will flock to them, and "harvest" the Honey just like they would from a Flower Garden. (Down Special) They aren't exactly gentle about it, however... this harvesting is still treated like an attack from the Combees. Thus, even one Combee will be able to completely counteract the Honey's healing affect,and even throw an additional 1% into the mix. That said, however, the Combees are sitting ducks while they gather Honey from the foe, completely vulnerable to any form of counterattack. Lastly, Combees gathering Honey WILL drop what they're doing in response to a Neutral Air, so they're that much more controllable than Aggressive Combees.​

Neutral Special: Beehive

Vespiquen turns to face away from the screen, and some wet, slimy sounds are heard as he lowers her head. This is chargeable just like DK's Giant Punch, meaning that you can store it as you go. Once you reach full charge, press B again and Vespiquen will vomit out a large amount of wood pulp, which smushes onto the ground and reforms into a perfect beehive, just like the ones you see all over the country these days. (If you don’t fully charge the move, the pulp doesn’t take shape, becoming a useless sticky blob on the ground.) This beehive has 50 stamina, meaning foes can attack it... but it doesn't serve as an obstacle. Also, you can shoot more pulp from this move into hives. This replenishes stamina for half the amount of the charge. (So, if you charge it all the way, 25% will be restored, etc.)

Every second, the beehive will release a single Hornet, which will hover aimlessly around. Up to 10 Combees may be created from every hive. Each Combee has 15 stamina, and will only attack the foe if the foe first attacks it, sticking on like a Pikmin. They will attack 3x a second, dealing 1% per hit, and will not let go until they are destroyed. All the while, any Combee who comes out of the hive at this time will immediately chase after the opponent, until they escape the range of the nest. When they exit this area, all Combees revert to being passive, and will return to the nest to resume their duties, if they have any. Please note that there is no limit to the number of Combees the hive can produce, just the number of Combees in play from the same hive.

Combees will also chase the opponent down if they attack the nest itself. If it's destroyed, three additional Combees will pop out in addition to any that are already in play, and every Combee from the destroyed Hive becomes aggressive. They'll chase down anything that enters their range at 1.5x their usual speed, milling around awkwardly around the broken Hive when there is no target. Yes, that includes Vespiquen herself. If you create a new Beehive within their range, they will stop being aggressive, and treat the hive like their own. Of course, they’re added to the running total of this Hive, taking away from the maximum number of Combees.

Lastly, (yes, I promise you this is the last point), be careful about where you set these up, as Combees from opposing hives will fight with eachother if they get within the range of a battlefield platform, completely ignoring their duties until all the involved Combees are either dead or victorious.

Note: The hive looks like the one at the start of the move, not the one in the image. About the same size, though.
These Combees (and any other Combee Vespiquen makes) are affected by wind to an even greater extent than a grounded character, since, y'know, they don't have any friction. However, Combees called to you with your Dash Attack and Neutral Air are only affected as much as Vespiquen herself is.

Additional note for Plorf: This move can be used in midair.

[0%]

Side Special: Combee Chaser

Vespiquen's Honeycombs open up with little lag, and out of each comes a single Combee. These Combees will each seek a different foe (if possible), moving at the speed of Mario's run. They can't go through solid surfaces, but they have pretty good AI. Once they reach the foe, they will latch on and perform their basic, 3 hits per second attack. If there is no enemy onscreen, they will simply fly away at an upwards angle. Each of these Combees has a mere 8 stamina, and unlike the ones formed by the Beehives, have infinite range.

Note: These Combees can also be manipulated using your moves that require Combees, although they will once again fly away as soon as the move is over. They cannot be called back by your Neutral Air or Dash Attack, and they won't attack other Combees. Finally, you cannot use this move again until all the Combees spawned by the Combee Chaser are gone.

[3% per second x 3]

Up Special: Combee Lifter

Vespiquen gives a quick whistle, and then pops out a pair of gossamer wings from her back, flapping them furiously. Regrettably, they prove to be far too flimsy to support her weight, and she falls towards her doom (admittedly, a bit slower)... how sad. However, if there are any non-aggressive Combees in the area, they will swarm down to Vespiquen at double their usual speed; we're talking Falcon's dash, now. It takes the power of three Combees to stop Vespiquen's fall, and for every additional three, he'll fly upwards at his falling speed. Regardless of the speed, this recovery lasts two seconds, and all Combees will return to their hives at its end.

Note: Vespiquen's wings count as 1 Combee Power, meaning that it actually only takes two Combees to get her to stop his momentum.

[0%]

Down Special: Flower Garden

You know, Vespiquen was actually designed to manage a flower park... and those Combees of her are just dying for something to do. When you use this move, the flaps on his chest will open, and three seeds pop out, immediately embedding themselves in the ground. Over a period of time, they will sprout, grow, and blossom, reaching full bloom in a mere ten seconds. The flowers cannot be attacked, but they have 20 stamina.

Now, any Combees within range of these flowers will fly over to them if they aren't currently aggressive, and begin to gather nectar. Each Combee can carry 3% worth of nectar (this takes one second, just like they had been attacking an enemy), which is subtracted from the flowers' stamina. Once they get as much nectar as they can hold, they'll fly back to the hive at half their normal speed, and drop off their nectar. This process repeats until the flowers wither away at zero stamina.

Any nectar that is dropped off at the hive will turn into Honey. You can eat Honey in the same manner that you would food... just stand next to the hive and button-mash A. You'll recover 2-3% each press, meaning that it's possible to recover 20% worth of health from every patch of flowers. Nice.
Opponents can also steal the Honey, so be warned. However, if there are any idle bees around, they'll become aggressive and begin attacking the foe, hopefully making up for any damage they may have recovered.

Note: If a Combee is attacked while carrying nectar, it will not fight back. They also cannot be used for any other Hornet-based attacks until they drop off their load at the hive.

[0%]

Neutral A: Shears

Vespiquen pulls out a pair of garden shears from hammerspace, and will begin to clip with them as he slowly walks forwards. Each time the shears close, a hitbox causing 4% damage and small, set knockback occurs, just enough to get the opponent out of the way if they move. At all.

Yeah, it's a pretty pathetic attack. A bit of starting lag and ending lag, no KO OR damage-racking potential. You'll mainly be using this move to either remove an ill-placed Flower Garden, or to sever the rope from your FThrow.​

[4%]

Dash Attack: Relocate

Vespiquen makes a beckoning motion over his shoulder while looking backwards, calling any Combees within the general area behind her to fly along with her as she runs. While this deals no damage to opponents in front of Vespiquen, anyone caught behind her as he continues to run will suddenly find a swarm of Combees coming towards them, dealing 2% with flinching knockback as they pass through. Using this move when you already have Combees following you will disband them, and they will fly towards the nearest unfilled hive, now treated like they came from that hive in the first place. If this overfills the number of Combees per hive, they will fly back to their original Hive.​

[2% x (varies)]

Front Tilt: Honey Swab

Immediately after you input his FTilt, the honeycombs on Vespiquen's chest will begin to leak, causing Honey to spill all over his chest. No problem, however... with a bit of starting lag, Vespiquen wipes this goo off, and flicks his wrist forward, splattering it in front of her. His hand is the hitbox, here, dealing 10% with knockback that kills well into the 200%'s. There's an additional, disjointed hitbox from the honey splatter that deals 1%, and Honeyfies the opponent. This is a good spacing tool, and a quick way to cover the foe in Honey, if you're having a spot of difficulty.​

[10% + 1%]

Up Tilt: Prick

Better put that spike on his head to some use, huh? Inputting his UTilt will cause her to suddenly stand straight up, creating a hitbox the size of Marth's USmash. Foes caught in the path of the spike will stick to it, taking 6% as they do so. With a spot of lag afterwards, Vespiquen will bend down slightly, and then fling his foe forwards with set knockback the length of two Battlefield platforms.

The obvious use for this move is to throw opponents into an area where there are a lot of Combees, as if they hit any Combees on their way, they will turn aggressive.​

[6%]

Down Tilt: Pollinate

With very little starting lag, the flaps on Vespiquen's chest open, and release a yellowish powder, which covers an area about the size of Bowser, lingering in the air for about a second. This cloud deals 2% without any form of knockback, and also will apply a Lip's Stick effect to any foe who walks through it.
More importantly, however, this will restore stamina to any nearby Flower Gardens, even if they're withered. Use this well, and you may never have to watch another garden die.​

[2% + Lip’s Stick]

Front Smash: Stinger

Vespiquen bends over for this attack, and begins to tense up... his whole body language just screams "get out of the way". After releasing the charge, (and a bit of lag, as he steps back slightly), Vespiquen takes one step, and jabs his head forwards, the stinger extending slightly as it does so to increase the range. Fully extended, this reaches about the same distance as Marth's Neutral B, and deals 22-28% with diagonal knockback that kills somewhere around 130%. As it sounds, this is Vespiquen's ideal KO option. With its range and small starting lag (it does have some ending lag, though. Imagine Link's FSmash.) it'll be up to you to distract the opponent with some Combees while you ready their doom.​

[22-28%]

Up Smash: Nectar Spout

Vespiquen cranes his neck upwards to look at the sky, and some churning noises are heard as you charge this Smash. When you release the charge, he will shoot a fountain of nectar from his mouth, in a straight line 1-2 Stagebuilder blocks high, depending on charge. If this hits a foe, they will take up to 6 hits dealing 2-3% damage each, with no KO ability but very high hitstun. They will also be Honeyfied.
If there isn’t a foe in the way, the Honey will splatter back onto Vespiquen, Honeyfying her. This is Vespiquen’s only way of getting Honey on herself, and it can be used as an alternative to the Down Special.

While this move has too much ending lag (around a third of a second) to be chained into itself, you'll probably be able to follow this up with an UTilt. Honey 'em up and throw them into some hungry Combees.​

Note: ]Vespiquen herself does NOT get the same "Honey" effect as his foes. He cannot recover health from the honey he splatters on herself, but having a bunch of Combees on-hand can certainly help her out.

[12-18%]

Down Smash: Combee Cluster

Vespiquen gives a brief whistle, immediately calling any Combees within two Battlefield Platforms to his side, much like Olimar's DSpecial. These Combees align symmetrically, forming the points of a regular shape. (If you call 4, they'll make the points of a square, 2 will make a line, 7 makes a heptagon etc.) As you charge the move, they'll turn slowly to face Vespiquen, and begin to tense with energy. Releasing the charge will make them suddenly shoot outwards from the center, the length of Mario's head. Regardless of the amount of Combees you have, this move will deal 14-22%, with med-high knockback in the direction of the Combee that hit the opponent. Remember, the more Combees you summon, the more hitboxes you'll have.

If you don't have ANY Combees with you, Vespiquen will instead perform a maneuver similar to Sheik's USmash, but with more horizontal range. This deals a pitiful 8-12% with low knockback, but at least it'll nab those opponents rolling around you.​

[14-22% or 8-12%]

Neutral Air: Sweet Scent

The Honeycombs on Vespiquen's chest open up, and out of them comes a thick, pink fog, that will cause any non-aggressive Combees within Battlefield's length to come to her, and hover around her as she moves through the air. You're going to need them for a couple aerial moves, so it would be wise to use this move soon.

Note: You can only have a maximum of eight Combees following you through this move.

[0%]

Front Air: Impale

Turning herself horizontal in midair, Vespiquen will then proceed to deal a quick jab with the stinger on his head, dealing 8% and moderate horizontal knockback with good priority. Expected a fancy Hornet-based attack? Too bad.​

[8%]

Back Air: Chibees

This is a pretty laggy move at startup, so watch out... Vespiquen digs in one of the honeycombs in his chest, obviously trying to find something... and after about a half-second of lag, he finds it! A more conventional-looking Combee nest, sticky with Honey. With no thought, he discards it, dropping it behind herself with no further lag. When it lands, four tiny Combees (known as Chibees, according to Plorf) spawn. These little guys are purely aggressive, and will hunt down the nearest opponent wherever they are. These little guys only have 8 stamina each, and deal only 2% a second instead of 3%. They also will fly offscreen after 10 seconds, assuming they survive that long. Still, they're a good distraction to the real threats.​

[2% per second x 4]

Up Air: Cluster Missile

Vespiquen points upwards with his finger, a horrible, low priority hitbox that deals 6% with weak upwards knockback. If you have any Combees around you, up to five of them will follow your finger, flying to a point about half an SB block above Vespiquen. Once there, they will be "blasted" outwards at the speed of Sonic's dash, forming a perfect shape like in the DSmash. Each Combee deals 8% as it travels through a foe dealing flinching knockback, and keeps flying until it goes offscreen, never to be heard from again. Oh, and the first part of the UAir links into this. Have fun, but don't kill all your Combees racking up the foe's damage with this move. You have plenty of other options to do that.
Finally, don’t expect to hit with every Hornet, even if you pull this off perfectly. The absolute maximum number of Combees that’ll hit any given foe is 3.​

[6% + 8% x (0-3)]

Down Air: Suicide Bomber

Vespiquen waves his hand below her in an arc, a weak, low-priority hitbox like that of his UAir. This deals 7% damage with weak upwards knockback. However, (you saw this coming, didn't you?) any Combees following Vespiquen at the time will fly straight downwards, their stingers extended. These bees move steadily downwards at Mario's fall speed, and their stingers are hitboxes that will steadily drag the foe down while doing multiple hits of 2%. It's pretty easy to DI out of, though.​

[7% + 2% x (varies)]

Grab: Combee Pull

Vespiquen reaches out, and attempts to grab opponents with pitiful range, and a bit of lag. Good luck landing it.

However, if there are any Combees currently attacking the foe, they'll begin dragging them towards Vespiquen at the same rate as his Up Special. Opponents will be unable to resist their pull, but can charge up a smash as they slide towards you. Be wary.

If a foe breaks your grab, you have pretty hefty ending lag to deal with afterwards. Not enough to let them Smash you away, but just enough to prevent a Chaingrab from his UThrow.​

Pummel: Slather

Vespiquen reaches into one the Honeycombs on his chest, and grabs some honey out of it. He then slaps the opponent with it, covering them in Honey while dealing 3%. Needless to say, this is a slow Pummel, but as it leaves the foe Honeyfied afterwards, it's well worth taking some time to use, especially if you follow up with a Front or Down Throw.​

[3%]

Front Throw: Tether

Vespiquen sneaks in one more Pummel before throwing the opponent forwards, underhand. This pitiful gesture deals only 6% with low knockback, and it has no ability to KO... you know why? Vespiquen, with that last slap of Honey, just attached herself to the opponent. The length of this sticky, gooey rope is one Battlefield platform, plus an additional half platform for each Pummel you pulled off beforehand. Vespiquen serves as a perfect anchor, not budging an inch against their attempts to escape. He can also pull them around with ease, harshly limiting their territory. Pull them into a Hornet-infested area and watch their damage climb up, especially since they're covered in Honey. The rope can be destroyed after taking 20%, but it's still a good way to distract the opponent as they're swarmed by Combees.​

[6%]

Back Throw: Poison Sting

In one smooth motion, Vespiquen flips the opponent so that they're on their back... on top of the stinger on his head. This deals 4%. Then, just like his UTilt, Vespiquen flings them backwards for an additional 5%. Just as they're about to leave, his stinger flashes purple... and the opponent takes on a greenish tinge. They've been poisoned! Every second for 5 seconds, they'll take another 1%, bringing the total up to 14% damage from one throw.​

[9% + 1% x 5]

Up Throw: Combee Lifter

After giving a quick whistle to call any Combees within a radius of one Battlefield Platform, Vespiquen... releases the opponent? Yep, they just slide right out of his grasp. However, as you may have noticed, the title of this move is identical to his Up Special... any Combees that you just called or were already on the foe at the time will begin to fly straight upwards, pulling them up with the strength of his Up Special. This also takes their weight into consideration... Kirby's going to go up much faster than, say, Bowser. Foes can escape with Grab difficulty, taking 8% plus 1% for every Combee doing the lifting.
If you use this move without any Combees around... well, you just released them from a grab. While this could be used for Chaingrabbing, theoretically, keep in mind Vespiquen's less-than-ideal ending lag on releasing the opponent.​

[8% + 1% x (varies)]

Down Throw: Aggressor

Vespiquen releases a red fog from the Honeycombs on his chest, and drops the opponent to the ground, dealing a mere 5%. However, this fog isn't just for show... any Combee within range (two Battlefield Platforms in all directions) will immediately become Aggressive, and chase after the opponent, only stopping once they escape the same range. If they don't get up and roll away soon, their damage is really going to climb...​

[5%, angers Combees]

Final Smash: Harvest Time

When Vespiquen activates his Final Smash, the screen zooms in to her, and takes on an orangeish tint momentarily. A couple of leaves blow in from the side of the screen as an aesthetic effect. Now, when the screen zooms back out, you'll see that any Flower Gardens you may have made have doubled in width and will never run out of Honey (during the Final Smash), and Hives are going into overdrive! Instead of one Combee every second, THREE every second are being produced, and each hive can support up to 20! To top it all off, no Combees from opposing hives will fight eachother. Now's the time to deal some serious damage to your opponent... or maybe just to recover from some heavy losses.​

[varies]

Vespiquen is the epitome of a camper. With the smallest amount of setup, he has a fortress in which he can heal herself and deal damage from a distance. While he CAN fight this way, you're unlikely to get much respect... to make Vespiquen realize his true potential, you'll have to stray away from the nest.

When you first start the Brawl, set up a Hive as soon as you can. While you may not be defenseless without Combees, you can sure defend yourself easier with them. Keep the foes away from the Nest at all costs at this early stage, especially if they have ANY fire attacks. Use your UTilt and BThrow to manage this, or even give them some Honey to keep them occupied. Whatever you do, DON'T plant Flower Gardens at this time, or the opponent will be able to pick them off one by one.

Once you have one or two nests readied, it's time to go on the offensive. Call some Combees to your side with your Dash Attack, and do your worst. UAirs will rack up damage nicely, even if they do knock off several of your Combees. Your best bet for damaging the foe is to anger the Combees yourself, and then knock them into their range. This, however, will weaken your own abilities to control the Combees, since they won't listen to you while aggressive... ah, well. Sometimes it's a risk you have to take.

While the foe is under attack by Combees, you may want to take the time to set up another hive, out of range, along with a Flower Garden. This will be your Honey Hive, and you can return to it at any time to reap the spoils of your Combees' labor.

All in all, Vespiquen is all about keeping the foes occupied with your Combees while you do the dirty work of giving them a space to live and something to do. It's an unrewarding job; your tenants won't even stick up for you if you're under attack; but they'll listen to your every command and even provide you with a sweet reward occasionally. Keep them alive, and they'll keep you alive.​

Vs. Raven: 20/80, Raven’s favor

Playing against Raven is like pitting two snipers against eachother…and Raven’s the better of the two. In order to fight back, Vespiquen is going to have to approach Raven… and she has plenty of tools to deal with approachers. The fact that you’re thinking about approaching probably means there’s something wrong with this matchup anyway. In addition, she can set up a DTilt directly in front of a hive, potentially destroying it if you forget about the patch of darkness on your way to nab some honey. Still, overreliance on this technique can be Raven’s downfall as well… eventually, the area will be full of aggressive Combees.​

Vs. Vaati: 80/20, Vespiquen’s favor

While Vaati may seem to be the ultimate counter to Vespiquen at first, since he can easily blow any number of Combees away, the fact of the matter is that no matter HOW many times he blows them away, they’ll just keep coming right back. Vespiquen can abuse his Combees’ aggressive nature in this matchup…if he attacks a couple Combees from each Beehive, (and you’re going to want a few hives to beat Vaati, unless you want this matchup to drag on forever), and then runs out of their range, the Combees will race after the nearest available target… Vaati himself. Once you get a couple on Vaati, the fight’s about over. Keep swarming him and you’ll have no trouble with this matchup.​

Vs. Baby Mario Bros: 30/70, Baby Mario Bros. favor

While Vespiquen has the range, power, and priority to devastate the babies, their saving grace is their Side Special. With Vespiquen’s poor grab, all it’s going to take is one Fire Bros. for them to charge right through Vespiquen’s defenses, destroying all the Combees they touch and setting the Hive on fire. Still, if Vespiquen can hold them off until there are enough Combees around, he should be able to keep them airborne long enough to get them to KO %’s, with their weak aerial game.​

Up Taunt

Vespiquen’s left and right Honeycombs pop open, and a single Combee flies from one into the other, while Vespiquen follows it with his eyes. When it reaches the other side, both Honeycombs close again, and Vespiquen is ready for battle. This has the slightest amount of mindgame potential, as the foe may momentarily think you have more Combees than you actually do.​

Side Taunt

Vespiquen pulls out a watering can from Hammerspace, and waters the ground in front of her for half a second.​

Down Taunt

The stinger on Vespiquen’s head suddenly glistens in the light, and a thin vein of poison runs down it. This poison evaporates nearly instantly, but will still leave a faint purple line.​

Bonus! A look inside Vespiquen's development...

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
LUCARIO REMIX

So, rather than go step-by-step like I usually do, I'll just start off with the thing that single-handedly killed the set in my eyes, his playstyle. The in-game Lucario is actually a pretty interesting character. Because of his aura mechanic he shifts around his offense/defense ratio as he takes more damage and in some cases actually becomes more aggresive at higher percents to finish off the opponent. So you took this playstyle and turned him into...a generic combo character.

I mean, wow! You gave him the most cliche, boring, non-defining playstyle possible. First off, comboing is not really a playstyle considering that in a game that allows comboing, even the slower guys can still combo a little. It's nothing more than a way to get a ton of damage off of a single move and may as well be replaced with that single move dealing 50%. Even my Vile set, who has "Projectile combos", is more based around space-control and trapping the opponent with his projectiles than the actual combos themselves which simply occur if Vile made really smart choices with his projectiles.

Even getting past the concept itself, you made the cardinal sin of combo-based playstyles, which is making most of his moves only worth using when in the middle of a combo. So I have 20+ moves, but only a few of them are used during actual gameplay since those are the combo starters, and the rest of them are just there for fancy animations during the combo. Seriously, Jab was his only ground move worth using and the rest were basically "this isn't anything special, only use it if you can combo into it." Then you have stuff like FTilt which doesn't even seem to be worth using in a combo since you can't really do any follow-ups with it. Even his Special Moves, the things which are supposed to be most defining to his playstyle, are just glorifed combo-enders or starters.

This of course leads into the main problem with characters so focused on combos, which is that there will always be one best combo that I should use in 99% of circumstances. Who cares if I have 9001 combo-enders if at the end of the day I'll always want to combo into Dark Pulse for damage-dealing, or FSmash or KOs? Who cares if I can go into nearly anything with Dragon Pulse when there will be one move it goes into that's objectivley better than all the others? Even taking your new aura system into account, that just means that first I'll do the best aura builder, then do the super-****-best-combos. And of course, once those best combos are found that means that his moveset shrinks even more since many of his moves that were only worth 2 ****s for combos aren't a part of this best combo, thereby making them completley worthless.

To top it all off, the playstyle contradicts itself throughout the set! You keep saying how difficult it is for him to do aerial stuff, yet he has combos into a grab which leads to an Uthrow, and Nair is stated to be his bread-and-butter combo starter. Oh, you say his aerials have slowness to them which makes them difficult for combos? Well in that case the Uthrow is lying since then he would suck at aerial combos even with it, and of course that only proves that combos don't define playstyle, since it's not that he's bad at aerial combos, it's that he has a worse air-game than ground-game, period. Not to mention that giving him aerials that are poor at comboing goes against the point of a character who's supposed to be great at comboing...

So his playstyle on its own makes me dislike the set, but then that playstyle, in turn, killed any chance of having interesting individual attacks. The in-game Lucario had a nice idea with the martial arts moves mixed with his aura abilites, even if the moves were pretty basic applications of the concept. Your Lucario throws a lot of that out of the window for outright vanilla physical attacks, with the freaking aerials being the moves to retain the most aura-based moves of all things. Does Lucario have an aerial focus or not? The actual bits of creativity in the set felt tacked-on much of the time or yet again go against his "playstyle". DTilt has a crappy sour-spot? I'll just ignore the move unless I combo into it then. Close Combat can be canceled into a jump? Too bad the move is only worth using when being comboed into and then it's just like any other "launch then jump after to chase!" type of move, and it's ANOTHER FREAKING AERIAL COMBOER HE ISN'T BAD AT COMBOING IN THE AIR IT'S A FREAKING FOCAL POINT OF HIS GAME AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

The aerials themselves all have "you can delay the attack!111!!!!one" effects attached, but a) why the heck would a comboer want to delay the attacks coming out, and b) in the ultimate forced-originality, the UAir arbitrarily has you mash the A button to delay it when the other moves have you simply hold the A button. Then we get to the throws, and the FThrow has a pointless rolling gimmick (I'll just immediatley cancel it into the kick every time since that's all it's built ofr), and the DThrow's effect is basically useless (There's no reason for the opponent not to roll away since they don't get stunned from the noise and therefore can punish Lucario during the end lag). The Dair was actually pretty cool, but considering the in-game Dair was actually one of his coolest moves, it doesn't really improve the set.

So, yeah. I hate to say this, but I honestly feel that the Brawl moveset is superior to this. You took one of the few Brawl movesets with an interesting premise and turned it into a generic typical fighting game character. If there's anything this set did better, it's the Special Moves, but those aren't exactly difficult to make semi-creative. The actual gameplay of the set is what matter most, and this is nothing more than "memorise button sequences character #48582905848".

Frf

Smash Apprentice
I wanna be the Lucario: The Movie: The Game
-Eh, I would've preferred to see the remix use "more damage=more power", because the new Aura mechanic is a tad confusing. I guess I should judge once I read the whole set....
-HEY EVERYONE. THESE ARE STATS. THEY HAVE A LARGE TEXT SIZE AND THEY DON'T REALLY DO MUCH ELSE.
-Judging by the specials, is Luccy here a comboer? I was hoping for something more....Interesting. It fits in with his aura mechanic, I suppose.

-The organization is making me sleeeeepy.....Blue is a "meh" color.
-The standards aren't terribly fascinating, but Luccy isn't the flashiest 'mon so it fits decently. I wish you'd mention the aura a tad more.....

-So the forward smash can hit even people dodging? 0___________________0
-HE'S FREAKING CHOPPING FORWARD. THAT DOESN'T MEAN HE CAN HIT SOMEONE IN THE BACKGROUND!!! EDCNEIUFVIUHGEIUFCJWIVJIUVGEIRUTGHITUV
-Terribly sorry about that. I didn't mean to rage. At least there aren't any typos....
-An arm thrust with great range? I assume you mean deceptive range, unless if Luccy is a Gorilla with an aura fetish.

-Sour spot makes me think of green eggs and ham.
-"But wait, there's more!" counter: 3 in a row! w00t!
-The only attack that hits upward out of the ones that are usually supposed to hit upward is the up smash. Maybe Luccy has some sexy anti-air tool. Oh, yeeeeeaaaah. *saxaphone*
-Finally someone addresses the issue that stall-then-falls typically don't have ANY STALLING AT ALL.
-Lucario kicks down: Like a bullet!
-Why not aura kick? Or falcon kick? (olol)

-Long ago, a mechanic was mentioned for a moveset about Lucario, the aura pokemon. This "aura" mechanic was said to be of high importance, but the great planet of Kr'aal never heard of it again. But on one April day, the sun set and the mighty emperor told the children of Kr'aal about how Lucario's grab implemented the fascinating aura mechanic, and there was much rejoicing.
-Honestly, the forward throw is very random.
-Honestly, the backward throw is very random.
-Hmm, why it is rather important! *adjusts monocle*

-Why is the final smash so awesome, but so useless when compared to the mind-numbingly effective Final Smash's like the landmaster trio?
-So, the up smash can be a KO move but it's not very powerful at all?

I like some of the ideas you have in here, Wiz mah boi. The problem is a lot of the attacks are just dull and occasionally gimmicky. The playstyle is definitely there; but it really didn't piece together well until the end, and even then the playstyle merely hints at the majority of Lucario's moves. Stacking on hitstun isn't exactly the easiest concept to work around, so you do manage to keep that in line as well as sneak in a few gems. I just wish they were mentioned more.

*runs away from Hyper Ridley's rage*

Overlord Sugimori

Smash Rookie
Oh my... everyone seems to be doing such great work creating movesets (is that what you call them?) for my Pokemon! Keep up the good work, everyone!

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
I'm sure that many people saw how I deleted Lucario because of how much of a failure he was (and I 100% agree with HR's comment)... but thinking about it that was rather selfish and I shouldn't do that to people who wanted to still finish reading it from when I deleted it. I don't really want any more comments on it because I realize he's a failure and there's no more need to elaborate on how given that HR and Frf covered it perfectly. Sorry about being emo, and I hope we can just forget about this episode.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Lookario remicks: Yep, it's another remicks for me to faff about.

First off, Aura seems meaninglessly tampered with, not only removing one of the greatest mehanics of Brawl, but replacing it with something that seemingly contradicts the form and purpose of Aura. Aura gets lodged in the foe? So Lucario can tear off chunks of his own "soul" and stick them on his opponent like somekind of twisted stickybomb? You could have easily keep the same use of Aura, but with Lucario's aura flashing larger instead of the foe somehow getting all aura-ed up. But that's a moot suggestion anyway, as the original brawl mechanic was both suitable and ripe for expanding upon.

Lucario doesn't need a second projectile, nor is one suitable to his character. But Dark Pulse + Aura Sphere would be pretty neat though(the fact you didn't state this seems like an odd hiccup in writing style, since reading both attacks make them seem like a natural combo)

The change to Extreme Speed is reasonable enough, despite the perfect momentum control feeling unatural and being easy to abuse.

I agree with Rool's bemusement at the lack of multi-hit jabs in most sets.

The animation for Metal Claw sounds physically impossible. Have you tried this motion yourself? You can't put a lot of force behind it. Besides, "Metal Claw" implies a swiping motion.

The front focused up-tilt sounds awkward for Lucario.

I'm horribly horribly guilty of this myself, but counters don't sit right on regular attacks.

The front focused Neutral-Air is pretty inexcusable.
And the similarly focused Up-Air is also awkward, Lucario feels completely naked against attacks from above

Lookario manages to pay some attention to the subtle details that make the brawl characters so great (9_9 screw you whiners, the brawl characters are great) and that's very much appreciated. For the most part Lucario sounds like he would move and attack consistantly. Your tweaking over specialises him though, there's a horrible lack of him attacking with blasts of aura, and the change to combo focus sits rather awkwardly with the "magnificent comeback" character Lucario was originally intended to be.
Still, you could have done worse.

Edit: Wow, HR's comment was more negative than mine. I can sympathise with his point, "hitstun" comboing is rather trite as it makes the exact same combos work on all body builds and at all percents. But that's not to say that your application of the concept was in any way bad. In fact, it flows quite well. Once you get past how much you underestimate all the combo meat moves, I'd dare say it works better than the Sandman's.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Hyper Ridley's big negative comment (totally different seeming HR's comments are normally positive) actually educated me about combos, so thanks a lot! (Goes to show that reading comments on other sets can be very beneficial, but most people probably already knew that).

I'd comment on Lucario, but Wizzerd doesn't want any comments. If I read through the set without getting myself distracted with the comments made about it, I'd probably have a entirely different judgement about the set since Im a bit lost without the chat.

Im just posting to bring up a new page earlier.

The Great Sakurai

Smash Rookie
FIERCE DIETY LINK

he's pretty much like link but stronger and has different specials

up B = great spin
just like links

B = fierce diety swings his sword and a dark wave is sent

Side B = he jumps sideways and stabs

down B = fierce diety strikes his sword on the ground and a dark wave circles him

finale smash = majora's incarnation
fierce deity turns into majora's incarnation and runs around the stage attacking any one

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver

Frf

Smash Apprentice
Hey, a match up against predator! Khold, will you have some of my sex with me? Anyway.....

AXL ROSE
-The organization is simple and AWESOME.
-Aww you should've kept the neutral special just the first paragraph. It would've been brilliant, but now there's a status effect. D:
-The simple moves are refreshing. Axl rose seems like a combo character which is kind of boring these days, but you handle it well.
-It seems like a move titled "ring of fire" is essential for any fire-based set.
-I would so main Axl rose, even though I'm not a big KH fan.
-Up aerial is kinda random. WHY DID YOU LOLLIE?!?!?!?!
-Boo, back throw random status effect!
-Making a final smash isn't that hard, man. At the beginning you said you spent a lot of time on this set.
-The playstyle section is written rather oddly; I wouldn't recommend just recapping each move and what it does. It makes the section come off as robotic and boring. Talk more about Axel's style in general, rather than each and every move. Make it flow, like the set itself does.

Axel is a refreshing set; The neutral special is awesome and the organization is to die for. There are minor quips here and there as the majority of the moves are forgettable and your writing style comes off as a little odd in the playstyle section. But still the set has a very focused concept and would be loads of fun to play with. Well done.

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
Axel

Wow. My first comment on any moveset. Fortunately, it's a good one at that. Anyways, I feel like I sorta rushed you in the xat to post it, explaining the lack of an FS.

Okay. So Axel is a combo character, and a rather clear one at that. By clear, I mean that you just don't explain how the **** a cluster of seemingly unrelated moves is a combo in the ever-omnipotent playstyle, but I can clearly see the combos here. To me, I'd like to combo with this guy more.

Now for some nitpicking: I absolutely hate it when people say that "this is the only KO move" or something like that and then say that the lied later and put on another KO move. The "trap" does seem sorta... not really trap-like (Who the heck would walk into it?) Also, the Up Special...well, teleports are overused by now, and I know it fits in with Org. XIII, but....couldn't ya have thunk of something better?

Oh, and the organization and overall appearance is a work of art. Just would like to say that. His moves are also short, quick, and to the point, which heightens his readability.

But do these subtract Axel's quality? Of course not! (Well, except for the Up Special) You did him justice in this moveset, and I will be awaiting his extras.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
@Axel: Nice moveset here, Khold! The attacks are short, simple, and easy to understand, except for a few lacking details here and there. For example, it'd be nice to know exactly in what direction he throws his chakrams in for his Dash Attack. Another example is Down Smash: from what I understand he throws the chakram and it circles his body horizontally by going back and forth between the background and foreground, but I'm not exactly sure. In addition, you don't exactly state the range of the move, though I suspect it's two Battlefield platforms on both sides. The Neutral Special sounds like it should just be an innate special ability. When would you not want to keep your chakrams ignited? (Also, if Kirby copies this ability, what happens?) I'd also just like to note that Down Special sounds a lot like Ness's PK Fire. Most of his other moves did the trick, though, and I really liked the Up Tilt and Final Smash (once it appeared). Overall, great job! :bee:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Axel: I hadn't really heard too much about this one from you, Khold. Glad to see it's a massive step up from *shudder* Great Tiger. Anyways, the organization is rather reminiscent of MYM6 Ocon's, and for the most part, it's a good thing. A ways into the set, say around the aerials, the red can get a bit irritating to read, but just looking at how it blends into the text, I can be lenient on this matter.

Comboing? In my MYM? While even I find it dull as dishwater nowadays, I must say dicking with enemy shields is a humorous concept. *Kupa Seal of Approval here*. While I don't find it as bad as others, the stun time for using shields is a bit long...either change that or lessen the fire's duration. Looking over some other statistics, including Side Special, it is apparent that balance is not your focus in movesets now, which I can respect, but not agree with. Whatever. Fire movesets, while seemingly overdone, are actually rather unexplored in MYM. Axel is a prime example of the overall enjoyability they can be to read IMO.

In the end, Axel brings some pretty tight ideas to the massive table of combos (some range needs clarification here and there, though). I hope he won't be forgotten, as he is at least on par with Khold in my opinion. Bravo (clap)!

Neo Exdeath

Smash Ace
Frosty

Oh, yeah, a new moveset! Glad to see you're getting the Christmas spirit, Ku....

HEY WAIT A SEC, THIS IS BLEAK REPOSTED.
*puts Kupa on ignore list*

Katapultar

Smash Lord
[size=+3]Axel[/size]
The organisation looks funky, but I can't see the Specials. It's not your fault, though it kind of makes it hard for me to digest the whole set, so I can't really judge it (The white page in the Specials cuts out the white words). Axel stays true to the KH playstyle, so good job on that. With nothing much else to say, I'll end with a well done compliment and look forward to seeing your future sets.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
EDIT: read at your own peril.

Axel

sooo...this is my first fully fledged moveset critique. I've got the music playlist goin, and I must say it complements the mood of the set well.

A simple introduction and stats list are good. You say you plan on adding numerical stats, but in all honesty, I think quantifying stats on an arbitrary 1-10 scale is one of the dumbest things known to man. You could elaborate a bit, sure, but adding in numbers is definitely not needed.

I like how the text, pictures, and titles flow together. Do your actual moves show the same attention to detail, or did you spend too much time on the style and too little on the substance? Let's find out, shall we?

It seems like Ignite would work better if it was simply a gameplay element and not an actual attack. What happens when you press neutral-b while it's already active? Part of this seems underpowered (theoretically, you could lose your entire flame if your opponent does so little as hit you out of a combo), but it also seems somewhat overpowered (get a long enough combo and you have an automatic 10% damage extra no matter what). I suppose it balances itself out well in the end.

Now, I've never played KH, so I don't know much about whether Maverick Flare and Corridor of Darkness are ripped from the game verbatim or are modified to fit, but they seem to work fine for the set. Nothing special, but at least they're not a cookie-cutter projectile and recovery. Pillar of Fire seems like a good addition as a general-purpose bread-and-butter move.

So far, I don't see much in the way of a centralized playstyle. You do hint at a combo-oriented style, though. Let's see where that leads us.

The jab looks nice. I wasn't expecting the three-hit combo to end in a projectile, so bonus points there. As for the ftilt and dtilt, are you sure you don't have the two of them mixed up? They'd make more sense switched. By the way, your explanation of dtilt doesn't clarify whether Axel's hands are both extended in front of him or if he's got one hand outstretched in either direction. Utilt is nice as well. All the tilts seem quite underpowered, and I somewhat doubt Ignite will make up for the difference unless you make it easier to keep the chakrams lit once you've got them going. Dash attack seems cool too, but it took a couple reads for me to get it.

The fsmash is explained well, but seems somewhat out of place in what's turning out to be a combo-y set. Looks like it'd make a nice combo finisher...which brings us to usmash. If I'm reading this right, it's a...grab. Above your head. For the sake of balance, I'm not quite sure if that makes any sense. But it looks like it'd work, though. As far as the dsmash goes, it's unique, functional, and inherently pretty balanced. Not to mention kickass.

So far, my biggest qualm with your set is clarity. Not that I can't understand what you're writing - I just can't understand it the first time I read it. I wonder if the aerials will knot this playstyle together, or if I'll have to get it force-fed to me by the Playstyle paragraph...

Nair works well (then again, I'm starting to realize it's a bit difficult not to come up with unique moves when you've got such an interesting weapon to work with....); as for the fair, don't call a move 'meteor' if it doesn't actually meteor the opponent. Seems less intuitive than the rest, but can we really expect each and every one of your moves to be the greatest thing since sliced bread? Not to mention, I thought you said fsmash was your only KO move...

Bair is nice as well, but where is the opponent hit to after the final hit of the attack occurs? And I think I see another KO move here...and you're hanging a lampshade on it, too...ugh. Do the chakrams have a hitbox during this attack too? Dair is simple yet intuitive as well, another plus.

Pummel requires a bit of strategy, which is cool. Fthrow is smart and nicely done. I can see you either put a whole lot of thought into it or got inspiration from the game :p but it works. Bthrow has another status effect...no matter; it's fine, even if it isn't necessarily ingenious. The uthrow idea is a good one; I'm surprised you didn't use that 'combo finisher' idea elsewhere. Dthrow is intuitive as well.

Now that we've got the meat of the moveset past us, I can safely say the throws tie it all together nicely. I like that it's (on the majority) quite cohesive. I see you've added in the Final Smash, so...let's go!

Hmmm...generic 'trap and beat up' Final Smash. Permanent boost to 5 levels of fire is a nice touch, but hardly unexpected. Playstyle is...quite long. So much for a Playstyle paragraph. And...wait, Axel's fair actually is a meteor smash? What? All in all, Playstyle doesn’t have much I haven't already commented on. And from the matchups you posted, I don't really think having several really unbalanced matchups actually equates to balance in the end. But then again, that’s a fairly small pool of opponents, it might not be all bad.

Really, I think Axel could have worked better as a trap character. You did mention it in the Playstyle section, but the down-b and dsmash alone could easily trap much of the present Brawl cast, not to mention many of the sets here. His myriad number of projectiles doesn’t hurt either. Then again, that just may be a testament to the flexibility of Axel's playstyle - you aren't necessarily limited to a single one. However, you lose points because you weren't the one to point that out..and, hey, I could just be reading too deeply into this, too.

(no hard feelings, what happens in the chat stays in the chat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom