• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ike Video Critique Thread

-RedX-

Smash Lord
One thing I noticed in your first match is that you shielded too much, particularly in the first stock. The attack would be over, and you would still be shielding. Which would lead to shield poking.

You should have DACIT'd with the gyro dang it!
Yea, I knew somebody would pick out that habit of mine, I'm used to shielding everything and I always lift it up for some reason.

And I'm ********, I couldn't even pick up the gyro lmao

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Brett, stop trying to run up and grab Snake. That's the worst approach you can do against Snake. The moment you whiff it, you are taking 21 damage.

And lol at Kimchi thinking that Snake was crazy.

Yea, I knew somebody would pick out that habit of mine, I'm used to shielding everything and I always lift it up for some reason.

And I'm ********, I couldn't even pick up the gyro lmao

It's too annoying to pick the gyro up by walking up to the thing and pressing "A". You are better off running towards it and short hopping + Air dodging to pick it up.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ya, once he throws the gyro, you gotta make him work to get it back. Don't just throw it at him, he'll be expecting that. >_>

And you got shield poke'd a lot. Ike has a good spotdodge, use it more.

As well, if ROB is recovering high, try aether on the stage edge. You hit him, it's a free spike. He AD's it, he can't get down fast enough to punish it.

Good job on the Counter. But why do you keep using Uair to momentum cancel? That's the worse choice besides Nair. >_> To stop vertically, use Dair/Bair, they have the same speed. To stop horizontally, use AD.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Ya, once he throws the gyro, you gotta make him work to get it back. Don't just throw it at him, he'll be expecting that. >_>

And you got shield poke'd a lot. Ike has a good spotdodge, use it more.

As well, if ROB is recovering high, try aether on the stage edge. You hit him, it's a free spike. He AD's it, he can't get down fast enough to punish it.

Good job on the Counter. But why do you keep using Uair to momentum cancel? That's the worse choice besides Nair. >_> To stop vertically, use Dair/Bair, they have the same speed. To stop horizontally, use AD.
About aethering ROB then spiking, guess what happened in the 2nd match lol

Well, I thought it didn't matter what aerial you used when sent vertically if you just fast fall it but I'll use Dair/Bair more.
Horizontally, I need to use airdodge more, I have poor reaction at times >_>

Thanks Niddo, stop being so smart but not applying that knowledge in matches D;

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
It would probably help if I could get to more tournaments. I have improved slightly since I first started last year. I'm working on figuring out how to edgeguard off stage instead of just charging Fsmash. >_>

If you want, we could attempt a wifi match so you could see how bad I am, lol

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Brett, stop trying to run up and grab Snake. That's the worst approach you can do against Snake. The moment you whiff it, you are taking 21 damage.

And lol at Kimchi thinking that Snake was crazy.

It's too annoying to pick the gyro up by walking up to the thing and pressing "A". You are better off running towards it and short hopping + Air dodging to pick it up.
Shenanigans, silly Bored.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Hey guys, rate and critique please.

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiRlHm_jkkM
Sorry, I would have critiqued it sooner but for some reason it didn't count this as a new post in the thread, so I wasn't notified.

You and Kodama seem to be pretty evenly matched for the most part so I would have preferred if you had found at least one match where he beat you. A match where you lose is better for getting critiqued properly. I'm going to critique the first one because it's the closest and it could have gone either way at the end.

0:14 - Just a minor thing, but try and make a habit of pummeling once as soon as you grab. Even just that one pummel each time you grab adds up.
0:17 - When you shield-cancel your dash, it's safer and more effective to jab rather than grab. A jab comes out faster and can be canceled earlier. Jab also has a higher reward than grab for Ike.
0:28 - Don't use QD to plank or to get back onto the stage. Never a good idea or your best option. Instead, drop and double-jump air dodge back onto the stage for an alternative to just ledge jumping.
0:32 - Should have followed up that Nair with jabs or another Nair. Try to avoid using dash grabs.
0:47 - Never use QD for approach/recovery. QD is for platform shenanigans only.
0:51 - You could have avoided taking a hit there if you'd spaced it a bit better. Don't jump straight into your opponent when you Fair, abuse it's range.
1:10 - When you're fighting Snake you have to be super-careful returning to the stage. He has a lot of tools for stage-control, so always pay attention to every movement he makes.
1:21 - Try not to Nair so high off the ground, the hitbox should be in front of you as you land (unless your opponent is behind you).
1:22 - Don't just run up and grab, that's not Ike's strong suit. Running up and holding jab instead is great for punishing spot-dodges if you were late inputting a slower attack.
1:37 - Not sure why the Fsmash was pulled out there, but it isn't exactly a damage-racking move. Only use Fsmash when your opponent is in the 50-80 percent range as a KO move. Any lower it won't KO, any higher it's a waste cause something safer can KO.
1:43 - You definitely need to jab out of shield more. Could have gotten 16+% but ended up just getting 5%.
2:05 - I don't know if I agree with that QD recovery. You could have made it back with an Aether from that height and distance and it would have been safer. He had plenty of time to try and gimp your QD but he didn't.
2:15 - Lolfsmash. He didn't even try to airdodge?
2:24 - Should have pratfalled and done a Dair instead of charging QD, you probably could have ended the match right there but instead you got punished.
2:40 - The dash grabs need to go; definitely not Ike's best approach option.
2:47 - Don't attempt anything fancy after Jab 2, it has more IASA frames than Jab 1. First cancel back to Jab 1 and then try for a grab... although finishing the jab combo is usually better.
2:59 - Always be prepared if you get knocked back in your shield; another reason jabs are better than grab: they have more range.
3:03 - When Snake is camping with grenades it's not a good idea to space traditionally with aerials, because you could hit one and take extra damage. Approach him quickly but cautiously with short-hopped air dodges.
3:11 - Don't approach with DA, it's not much better than QD as an approach.
3:29 - Fsmash is useless at that percent, try for an Usmash instead on a heavy chracter like Snake. Fsmash will just get you punished (if he had spot-dodged it there instead of just shielding he could have Utilted you for the KO).
3:49 - Nice tipped Fair; pretty bad DI by him, guess he only survived cause the move was worn down.
3:53 - You've gone for that Uair a lot and he's air-dodged every time, instead you should have faked an Uair attempt, landed and used Utilt to punish his air-dodge. Probably would have KOd him too because you're Utilt would be fresh.
4:16 - Perfectly executed Fair, you fast-fell and tippered it. Isn't it cool how the results of well-spaced moves always speak for themselves?

Overall your Ike is definitely pretty good. There are just some little habits you should try and work out of your system; things like using QD, dash-grabbing a lot, using DA as an approach. Try to Nair a bit more too, I don't remember seeing very many although I didn't exactly count. And remember to reserve that Fsmash, it's a valuable move for KOing but only if used correctly. You can't throw it out too early or too late.

~ Senior Critic Nysyarc (Lol)

:034:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
QDing onto the stage is fine Nys. If you hit them or their shield, you just drop back down to the ledge and grab it again.

Obviously, don't get predictable with it. But it's perfectly fine as an option.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
QDing onto the stage is fine Nys. If you hit them or their shield, you just drop back down to the ledge and grab it again.

Obviously, don't get predictable with it. But it's perfectly fine as an option.
Eeeeh I dunno. I think there's pretty much always a better option. I mean sure if you hit them when they're standing right there you'll re-grab the ledge, but if they see it coming all they have to do is take a step back, throw up a shield and use whatever move they desire to punish.

In other news, watch me fail as Mario:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHV3g8dewfo

Testing to see what kind of quality I get when recording directly from my laptop's camera, so I just uploaded the shortest clip I had.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I use QD to get on the stage all of the time from a ledgehog. I only get punished for it when I'm getting predictable. And sometimes it leads nicely to a jab. It's perfectly usable in moderation, and probably not at high %s.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Well, I guess it's just me then, I don't like to take my chances with QD. I only use it for quick mobility when it's 100% guaranteed to not hit anything.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I use QD to get on the stage all of the time from a ledgehog. I only get punished for it when I'm getting predictable. And sometimes it leads nicely to a jab. It's perfectly usable in moderation, and probably not at high %s.
In my opinion, edgehopping QD onto the stage is not a bad option; I used to use it a lot in conjunction with just edgehopping QD as a feint to grab the edge again.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Well anyways, when I'm critiquing a video I use extremes to get my point accross, like "Don't use QD, evar" or "DA as an approach = LOSE" or "Jab is 1,000x better than grab". Really it's up to each individual player to decide when to do certain things like that, but I just don't want inexperienced players to develop bad habits.

I find it just works better if I tell them to never do something, or to always do something rather than trying to explain every scenario where the bad things would work and the good things are no longer viable. That's something each player should learn on their own through experience.

/longexplanatoryrants

bladeboys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bladeboys
Eeeeh I dunno. I think there's pretty much always a better option. I mean sure if you hit them when they're standing right there you'll re-grab the ledge, but if they see it coming all they have to do is take a step back, throw up a shield and use whatever move they desire to punish.

In other news, watch me fail as Mario:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHV3g8dewfo

Testing to see what kind of quality I get when recording directly from my laptop's camera, so I just uploaded the shortest clip I had.

Has he learned anything ? Good stuff lol

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Thanks, Kodama and I have played together since Brawl came out, so we know each others style pretty well and try out some stupid things, I for example experiment with QD, I never use it THAT much. And that one F-smash was just a wrong input, I know pretty well how to use it and I would never use it to rack damage ;)...
But thanks for the critique, I'll try to implement some things you said, dash-grab DEFINITLY needs to go, it never really paid off.
And about pummeling while grabbing, I know it's more damage, but in my experience pummeling keeps me from flowing, as quick as F-throw is, it keeps the speed in the game and not pummeling gives opponents less time to think through their actions, but I guess I could mix it up a little.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Any chance someone can video this replay? If not, don't worry, but I'd like a little bit of crit :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?enzm5zj5ei5

Excuse the silly edgeguarding, I have a spiking addiction I need to get over o_O
I'd critique it but my Mac can't read the video file. If you or someone else can upload it to YouTube I'd be glad to help you out.

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
Ah, sorry, it's the .bin file for a Wii to read from an SD card lol. I haven't got any way of recording it at the moment, I might buy an adapter thing at some point though. Bored said he might be able to do it sometime, but was busy at the moment.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'd critique it but my Mac can't read the video file. If you or someone else can upload it to YouTube I'd be glad to help you out.

http://www.cultofmac.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Ah, sorry, it's the .bin file for a Wii to read from an SD card lol. I haven't got any way of recording it at the moment, I might buy an adapter thing at some point though. Bored said he might be able to do it sometime, but was busy at the moment.
I have it downloaded, I'll record it Tuesday night. Do you have a youtube account or do you want me to upload it to my own?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK_a7SBfTh0 - ElNoNombreHombre (Marth) vs. Sonic Storm (Ike) - match #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdhnoAgXw5I - ElNoNombreHombre (Marth) vs. Sonic Storm (Ike) - match #3

Two matches, part of an online tournament currently going on. Sadly, online is the only option I have to get matches recorded, and to further drive the nail in the coffin, these matches were pretty laggy (albeit much better than the first match). I'm primarily looking for basic things to do and not to do here, particularly against Marth.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdhnoAgXw5I - ElNoNombreHombre (Marth) vs. Sonic Storm (Ike) - match #3
I'm so psyched to do a critique. I'm weird, I know. Shutup.

0:04 - Right off the bat, badly spaced Fair. Make sure you're not jumping straight at your opponent when you use Fair; retreat in the air a bit after using it.
0:06 - In that situation, jabs are better than a grab. If you do grab, immediately tap A for a pummel every time.
0:13 - I know it was laggy but if your first and/or second jab miss, never use the third jab, too much ending lag.
0:16 - Ftilt isn't a good idea at such a low percent, save it for KOing and use aerials.
0:26 - When you can recover with Aether, recover with Aether. Only use QD if absolutely necessary. Through experience you learn to judge how far out you can survive with Aether.
0:28 - Again, the QD there was predictable and could have easily gotten you KOd very early. QD is a bad recovery move.
0:41 - Way too much grabbing and not enough jabbing. Also, Dthrow isn't very useful; at the % Marth was at, a Bthrow -> Dash Attack probably would have gotten him pretty far off-stage for you to try and gimp.
0:42 - Aether after a Dthrow will never work. It will just get you punished. Get it out of your system immediately.
0:45 - The Dtilt was probably a mistake but it's obviously a bad idea on the stage. Aerials and jabs are your damage rackers.
0:51 - Dash Attack isn't a good approach option, in that situation it would have been better to simply walk up and get a jab combo on him after he spot-dodged.
0:54 - No QD on the stage. There's always a better option.
1:04 - When fighting Marth, he has a lot of horizontal KO moves, so be ready to DI up unless you can clearly see an Usmash coming. With proper DI you could definitely have survived that Nair.
1:24 - When playing Ike you can't really act on impulses, you have to learn to bait your opponent into making mistakes and punish them. He was obviously going to dodge your Fair there, so you should have faked an Fair instead by jumping and then punished with jabs.
1:27 - Too much rolling. It will be hard at first but the rolling needs to be eliminated if you want to use Ike, his roll is terrible.
1:48 - This may not be relevant to Ike as a character but... too much standing around. When playing Ike you have to keep your opponent guessing as to what you'll do. Even after you knock him flying, jump and dash around a bit to rack his nerves.
1:52 - Ike's grab out of shield sucks because of it's range, so use jabs instead.
1:57 - Also, if you see an attack coming and you're shielding, use a spot-dodge. Ike has a very good spot-dodge in contrast to his roll.
2:18 - Retreat your Fairs. It has more range than Marth's Fair so if you move away from him as he moves towards you, he'll miss and you'll connect.
2:30 - Dair into the stage is predictable and punishable. Move away from your opponent and come down with an Nair instead.
2:35 - When you get an opportunity like that, jab. Look for every opportunity to get jabs in and take them, it's your best damage racking move.
2:57 - At that percent Fsmash is useless, because an off-stage aerial or a well-placed Ftilt can KO and is safer to use.
3:14 - I don't know what that move you used was because it doesn't exist. An Usmash would have KOd him.
3:17 - Move around and pressure his landing, don't just stand there and Ftilt, he's not that dumb.
3:27 - I saw that Fsmash animation start. Jabs would have connected there and got him off-stage. Fsmash is not a KO move. It's a wtflol move that can KO early and demoralize people, but it's not a standard KO move for casual use.
3:34 - Perfect DI by ENNH right there...
3:39 - There you go, that's the kind of move you use to KO.
3:53 - See what happened there? That will happen every time against someone who knows about Dthrow -> Aether. It is not a combo. At all.
4:26 - See that's when you pull out the Fsmash, at middling percents when you've got your opponent thinking it's a good idea to fall right at you. Bad decision by your opponent but nice job making good on it.

To summarize: Jab more. Grab less. Bthrow more. Dthrow less. Nair more. Fair less (it's not a bad move but Nair is usually better). Eliminate QD from your game. Eliminate on-stage Aethers from your game. Don't use tilts at low percents to rack damage, that's what jabs and aerials are for. Tilts and moves like Uair and Usmash are your KO moves. Dsmash? What's that? I've never heard of it.

Also, Fsmash is one of your most valuable tools, but it is a tool that must be used wisely. If used wisely, it can crush your opponent's spirit as well as their character's body. If used incorrectly it will just get you punished. What I always tell new Ike mains is to pretend you can only use Fsmash once per match. Don't think about it all the time, but keep it in the back of your mind so you're ready when that perfect opportunity to take an enormous lead presents itself. In the meantime, stick to Usmash.

Lolfsmash.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
OMG, horrible lag. Dude, you are better off recording the replays so there isn't any freezes and such.
Yah I found that frustrating during the critique, I kept thinking it was my computer. Although it wasn't him who uploaded, it was the Marth player.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
So, can anyone get my replay uploaded?

http://www.mediafire.com/?enzm5zj5ei5

Nys, it has a (pretty weird) lolfsmash there waiting for you :p
I would but my Mac can't read the video file :ohwell:

Loldejavu.

Jk, although I actually can't because I have no good way of recording. My camera broke several weeks ago and my laptop's built-in camera has really bad quality.

I think Bored already downloaded it and said he would record it. If you have a YouTube account Bored could send you the file and you could upload it yourself. Post it here when you get it figured out and I'll critique it for you.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Nys, if you can put that file on your sd card, you can watch the reply on your wii. But yea, that's only if you have an SD card.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Nys, if you can put that file on your sd card, you can watch the reply on your wii. But yea, that's only if you have an SD card.
True, but I wouldn't be able to give a point-by-point critique like I normally do. I don't feel like it would do enough to just give a sort of summary in a big paragraph; I need to be able to point out specific things. Besides, I wouldn't be able to rewind the clip to review things, I'd have to start the whole thing over each time I thought I missed something.

It's just way easier if it's on YouTube.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Thanks for the advice, Nysyarc (and sorry for not getting this out sooner). I had hoped there would be little lag for this match - me and ENNH had done a lag test on FD prior to the matches to make sure we were good. So much for that, lol.

0:04 - Right off the bat, badly spaced Fair. Make sure you're not jumping straight at your opponent when you use Fair; retreat in the air a bit after using it.
Should I be retreating f-airs all of the time, then? Or is it OK to approach with them from time to time?

0:16 - Ftilt isn't a good idea at such a low percent, save it for KOing and use aerials.
I typically use it as a gtfo move, something just for breathing room. I don't try to use it for KOs that much.

0:26 - When you can recover with Aether, recover with Aether. Only use QD if absolutely necessary. Through experience you learn to judge how far out you can survive with Aether.

0:28 - Again, the QD there was predictable and could have easily gotten you KOd very early. QD is a bad recovery move.
I recently had a surge of luck with using QD, both offensively and offstage, so I guess that carried over to this match, lol.

0:41Also, Dthrow isn't very useful; at the % Marth was at, a Bthrow -> Dash Attack probably would have gotten him pretty far off-stage for you to try and gimp.
I can never seem to get the B-throw -> Dash Attack combo to work. Does the dash attack have to be inputted immediately after the throw? And does it have to be an Instant Dash Attack?

0:42 - Aether after a Dthrow will never work. It will just get you punished. Get it out of your system immediately.
Look back on my statement about QD, and replace QD with D-throw -> Aether, lol. It had worked for me before on opponents who didn't know how to DI.

But yeah, I know that's garbage. I'll get it out of there.

0:45 - The Dtilt was probably a mistake but it's obviously a bad idea on the stage. Aerials and jabs are your damage rackers.
Yeah, d-tilt was a mistake. I think I was going for either an f-tilt or D-smash at that moment.

I can't really find a good use for d-tilt at all. my accuracy for using it on offstage opponents is very low, and it's practically useless onstage. I guess it's a good thing I hardly, if not never, use it.

1:04 - When fighting Marth, he has a lot of horizontal KO moves, so be ready to DI up unless you can clearly see an Usmash coming. With proper DI you could definitely have survived that Nair.
I usually have difficulty DIing attacks, particularly horizontal ones, lol. And plus, I noticed it tippered, so I figured that was enough to KO me at that percentage >_<

1:27 - Too much rolling. It will be hard at first but the rolling needs to be eliminated if you want to use Ike, his roll is terrible.
I'm such an obvious roller, lol. I've been trying to eliminate that, though, and just trying to run away or use my speed.

1:48 - This may not be relevant to Ike as a character but... too much standing around. When playing Ike you have to keep your opponent guessing as to what you'll do. Even after you knock him flying, jump and dash around a bit to rack his nerves.
The standing around was mainly because of lag. I didn't want to get moving and lose positioning due to lag and input delay.

1:52 - Ike's grab out of shield sucks because of it's range, so use jabs instead.
Sad I input the Jab before the shield drops, and thus I shield grab, I guess, lol.

2:30 - Dair into the stage is predictable and punishable. Move away from your opponent and come down with an Nair instead.
Yeah, i have no idea what I was thinking that moment. I guess I expected him to have a moment of weakness at that moment.

3:14 - I don't know what that move you used was because it doesn't exist. An Usmash would have KOd him.
So I take it D-smash is a bad move, lol. I also figured D-smash would be faster to get behind Ike.

3:27 - I saw that Fsmash animation start. Jabs would have connected there and got him off-stage. Fsmash is not a KO move. It's a wtflol move that can KO early and demoralize people, but it's not a standard KO move for casual use.
I think I was going for an f-tilt or a f-air there. No idea why I F-smashed.

3:34 - Perfect DI by ENNH right there...
And he says he's bad at DI, lol.

4:26 - See that's when you pull out the Fsmash, at middling percents when you've got your opponent thinking it's a good idea to fall right at you. Bad decision by your opponent but nice job making good on it.
I think I was going for another f-air there as well. It didn't work in time, but atleast the accidental F-smash paid off.

To summarize: Jab more. Grab less. Bthrow more. Dthrow less. Nair more. Fair less (it's not a bad move but Nair is usually better). Eliminate QD from your game. Eliminate on-stage Aethers from your game. Don't use tilts at low percents to rack damage, that's what jabs and aerials are for. Tilts and moves like Uair and Usmash are your KO moves. Dsmash? What's that? I've never heard of it.
I'll work on implementing those, particularly the Bthrows and lack of Aether and QD.

Also, Fsmash is one of your most valuable tools, but it is a tool that must be used wisely. If used wisely, it can crush your opponent's spirit as well as their character's body. If used incorrectly it will just get you punished. What I always tell new Ike mains is to pretend you can only use Fsmash once per match. Don't think about it all the time, but keep it in the back of your mind so you're ready when that perfect opportunity to take an enormous lead presents itself. In the meantime, stick to Usmash.
Yeah, I guess I still have the "F-smash is so good!" mindset. I've been working on using F-smash less - I usually don't F-smash as much as in that match. I suppose I regressed for that one moment, hoping to KO Marth as soon as possible >_<

Thanks again!

Top Bottom