• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"common knowledge" that a lot of people don't know

Wuss

Smash Champion
I love this thread, so much cool stuff to learn.

Fox can do a perfect waveland really easily on Onnet, in the middle with the platform that falls down every once in a while. If you're on the ground, jump, and time the airdodge correctly while holding the control stick perfectly to one side, you'll do a perfect waveland.

Double shining is done by pressing down b exactly 5 frames (for falco, not sure what it is for fox) after jumping out of the first shine. It can't be done faster or slower (i'm pretty sure about this, could someone confirm?)

X1-12

Smash Champion
I love this thread, so much cool stuff to learn.

Fox can do a perfect waveland really easily on Onnet, in the middle with the platform that falls down every once in a while. If you're on the ground, jump, and time the airdodge correctly while holding the control stick perfectly to one side, you'll do a perfect waveland.

Double shining is done by pressing down b exactly 5 frames (for falco, not sure what it is for fox) after jumping out of the first shine. It can't be done faster or slower (i'm pretty sure about this, could someone confirm?)

this is the best ever guide for double/multi-shining, its for falco, and the timing is different for fox, there might be a similar one on the fox boards, so check there

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214549&page=7

Wuss

Smash Champion
^thanks. I guess the main point of that is that multishining can't be done faster. There's one speed (as in the next shine will always come out the same number of frames after the jump)

X1-12

Smash Champion
^thanks. I guess the main point of that is that multishining can't be done faster. There's one speed (as in the next shine will always come out the same number of frames after the jump)

not exactly

its true the shine will allways come out on the same frame there can be a difference in the time between each jump, for example if you do one nomral shine you have i think 16 frames in which you can press jump to JC it, and then must press shine again x frames later

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
People mistake FD for being Falco's best neutral. It's easily his worst neutral. Possibly his worst, or second worst legal stage with the current stageset (Going off P4's stageset)

This isn't always true, since there are certain matchups were other stages could potentially be better or worse, but against other high-tier characters, i.e. fox/peach/marth/ice climbers and mid tier characters like doc/mario/DK FD is easily his worst legal stage. It might be debatable on Fox on counterpick stages and Peach on brinstar but overall falco vs the mentioned characters is terrible on FD.

In fact, Falco's camping game is even better on certain platform stages. Dreamland has high platforms which allows his lasers, his priority, and his mobility to let him outcamp anyone not named Fox/Falco/Captain Falcon.

Battlefield has the "bass cave" where camping under the platforms becomes a winning strategy against alot of characters. It forces them to approach him. Falco NEVER has to approach on battlefield.

Pokemon Stadium is another stage that heavily favors him. Even against characters that can chaingrab him, the platforms and stage changes allow him to escape (Platforms don't help against Ice Climbers). Falco also gets to heavily camp the stage changes.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Some fun facts about Yoshi that's not really widely known:
-Yoshi can jump out of a powershield.
-Falco's shine breaks Yoshi's double jump from 0% onwards.
-You can eggroll immediately from the edge if you do it fast enough.
-You can change you trajectory of eggroll immediately if you come down from a platform.
-Double Jumping immediately on the ground gets you on the ground again and can be used for stopping dashes for example, you can even turn around with it.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
characters that fall from the shine (fox/falco for example) can tech shine spikes on the walls of the stage.

but characters who dont fall cant tech the shine spike.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
With Peach's second jump you can immediately land on platforms.

You can also immediately land on the ground with it, and even turn around, much like Yoshi can.

You can tech the underside of platforms.

Lovage

Smash Hero
falcon's waveland on yoshis:

falcon's backwards jump and forwards jump have different animations and slightly different heights.

falcon can barely not reach the top platform of yoshi's story with a forward full jump. but if you do a backwards full jump he will perfect land (landing with no lag, can instantly dash or drop thru the platform) on the platform. because backwards full jump goes slightly higher, this is the only way to waveland on the top platform in one jump.

this works exactly the same way on the top platform on FoD, because they're the same height.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
you can do full wavelands (meaning, with the control stick pointed DIRECTLY left or right without a downward angle) if you shorthop one way and waveland the other way; the timing's kinda hard though.

i also don't know anything intricate about it like whether or not it works with fullhops or neutral hops (i dunno if theres a difference between neutral and forward hops) or if it works if the hop and waveland go in the same direction.

summon: Magus420 Magus

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
shut up *****, ISAI IS TOO GOOD

I funny how Isai is STILL the most successful Falcon of all time and nobody has yet to recreate the way he plays. Please stfu.

isai isnt that great at melee, and relative to good players now, he never was. thats how its always going to be, he doesnt like the game lol..

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
He's not good at melee now. But there still hasn't been another Falcon(except maybe Darkrain) that consistently placed very high at National tournaments.

L__

Smash Master
-Sheik's leg on the first hit of her downsmash is invincible.
It's the first 5 frames, to be precise.

-Falco's legs are invincible during his downsmash.
To add onto the information, this occurs with Falcon and his down smash as well.

-The first frame of every dodge leaves you vulnerable (as well as a certain amount of ending ones).
Are you sure? I could have sworn I heard somewhere it was the first 3 frames and the last 3 frames leave you vulnerable. :ohwell:

edit:

falcon's waveland on yoshis:

falcon's backwards jump and forwards jump have different animations and slightly different heights.

falcon can barely not reach the top platform of yoshi's story with a forward full jump. but if you do a backwards full jump he will perfect land (landing with no lag, can instantly dash or drop thru the platform) on the platform. because backwards full jump goes slightly higher, this is the only way to waveland on the top platform in one jump.

this works exactly the same way on the top platform on FoD, because they're the same height.
Also, if you do a backwards jump from the little bump on Brinstar, you can waveland on the top platform with just one jump. ;)

I don't know if you mentioned this yet Lovage, [and I'm pretty sure you already know] but Falco's jump can reach the top of Battlefield without any lag.

These types of jumps are called No-Impact Landing from what I remember.

Lovage

Smash Hero
in doubles, if you're hit out of your ledge roll or ledge get-up attack you no longer "have the edge"
the timing of this depends on the character (some characters have more invincibility during their ledge animations) and if they're below or above 100.

this is very important for saving your partner

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
It's also worth mentioning that the moment you let go of the edge (hit back or down to ledge-hop, for instance) the ledge becomes free even if you're still invincible.

This means enemies can grab it while you're trying to edgeguard, but it also means that you can get the edge then ledge-hop through your partner's up+b and let them have it.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
If you Dtilt with Marth (maybe Roy), then hold forward and R, you can shield out of your Dtilt, which is usually impossible without waiting a few seconds.

I think it's because you're cancelling the Dtilt with an initial dash but the dash is canceled by the shield. Lol.

L__

Smash Master
If a character that normally falls from Fox's shine is charging a smash and the Fox shines that character, the character falls.

E.G.

Marth charges forward smash.

Fox shines Marth.

Marth falls.

Lovage

Smash Hero
If you Dtilt with Marth (maybe Roy), then hold forward and R, you can shield out of your Dtilt, which is usually impossible without waiting a few seconds.

I think it's because you're cancelling the Dtilt with an initial dash but the dash is canceled by the shield. Lol.
it's cuz you walk, not initial dash, but yeah

If a character that normally falls from Fox's shine is charging a smash and the Fox shines that character, the character falls.

E.G.

Marth charges forward smash.

Fox shines Marth.

Marth falls.

wow, cool info

L__

Smash Master
I forgot why it happens though, I never really asked Magus

edit:

Shields last 215 frames, Yoshi's lasts 216.

[3.6 seconds]

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Is it only when charging?

Would marth fall if he fsmashed and was hit on frame 2 by your shine (charging doesn't start til frame 3)?

Would marth fall if he was charging and was hit on frame 64 by your shine (charging is exactly 1 second/60 frame, so this is after the swing starts but before the hitbox)?

L__

Smash Master
Marth does not fall during the initial frames when you hit forward smash.

edit:

or any other smash.

Lovage

Smash Hero
the way you have to grab the edge backwards after recovery moves (fox's up+b, falcon's up+b, samus' up+b etc) is determined by TIME not by DISTANCE. this means that if you fastfall after recovering with your back to the ledge, you will have a better chance at living.

this is important so people stop assuming they're auto-dead if they get under battlefield. if you use the correct firefox angle and fastfall as soon as possible, you can live most of the time (not accounting edgehogs)

L__

Smash Master
Falco has the fastest falling speed

followed by Falcon

then Fox

Fox has the highest acceleration speed however

the way you have to grab the edge backwards after recovery moves (fox's up+b, falcon's up+b, samus' up+b etc) is determined by TIME not by DISTANCE. this means that if you fastfall after recovering with your back to the ledge, you will have a better chance at living.

this is important so people stop assuming they're auto-dead if they get under battlefield. if you use the correct firefox angle and fastfall as soon as possible, you can live most of the time (not accounting edgehogs)
It's still just as based on distance, just a different distance when a fast fall is incorporated. But yeah, it's very important to know.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
puff can grab the edge from behind with her up b. so she can be like brawl by running off stage and upbeing to instantly grab the edge.

Top Bottom