• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using the term "Gay" - Please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
Hello all,

To start off, I've been a part of the community for a long time, hell I've been playing melee since 2001, and I've been to tournaments, smashfests, smash 'till dawn's, you name it, and over the years I've been thoroughly exposed to the community that surrounds the game...

More to the point, in my years as a kid, I didn't feel saying things like "that's gay" or "F*g" or anything like that was anything particularly bad or looked down upon, hell I said it as much as anyone else. However, as I developed into an adult I began to resent the terms I had once used casually.

So after playing smash for about 7 years, I joined SWF and became a competitive player, and being exposed to the community, I've heard the word "gay" used in excess, I mean I'm not talking like "oh it's kinda annoying", I mean it's like once every few sentences.

I just have to ask those of you whom I'm addressing... do you even know what you're saying? Do you know how offensive saying things like that are? Do you understand that using the term "gay" as a derogatory term implies that being "gay" is bad, wrong, or distasteful? I mean sure it's a gaming community and what not, but that does NOT give everyone an excuse to use it anyway. I've heard all of the excuses in the world, but when you break it down to the fundamentals, there is no explanation. I have a post here who's name I won't reveal (obviously) as an example of what I'm talking about.

Make that hungrybox(efficiency) is to the king( combo happy)

Mango is way more efficienct than HBOX (overall)

I think alot of people hate on Hungrybox and his jiggz because its so gay watching him beat players that you think/know that are better than him by playing gay.

Case in point: M2K was beating everyone save mango, all of a sudden he starts to play hungrybox more (whom he used to beat with regularity) and Juan starts playing gayer and gayer and beats m2k who absolutely hates jiggz-fox matchup.

I guess Juans playstyle brings on that love to hate attitude ....people will probably never truly accept him a really good player because they think Down B or a back throw gimp, or up tilt rest combo out the *** is what allows him to win.

Although I'd like to see just how far Juan would make it if he didnt use all of jiggz gayest moves/strategies/if he didnt use jiggz at all.
Saying things like "playing gayer and gayer," when you step back and say it out loud at least, it sounds pretty dumb. To me anyway. I mean, when you read between the lines, the quotee is saying "he's playing more and more defensively" and if you REALLY read between the lines, it's more along the lines of "he's being more and more of a wuss, or a b*tch." I mean look at that post and tell me there isn't something innately wrong with it :confused:

"if he didnt use all of jiggz gayest moves / strategies" I mean really?...

Look, I know most of the people who say it don't think of it as a bad thing, and I know it's not their faults... I understand, I've been there too, but to hear it so often after what, five years? It's downright sad to me. It says to me that the person saying it hasn't grown up and realized that the phrase is extremely offensive, distasteful, and even harmful. I mean imagine being gay and overhearing that...

Seems I got a little ahead of myself I guess, but I meant everything! Look I'm no white knight here to save the world from inequality and injustice, I'm just asking everyone to please stop and think about what using that word means to you and about you and who you are.

Thanks, and feel free to respond with your own thoughts / arguments / ideas / experiences

~P

Thatfatcat

Smash Apprentice
Hey man, I really appreciate this thread. It's pretty cool that somone's finally putting it out there instead of the GLSEN commercials. I totally agree with you, this is becoming a growing problem of prejiduce and hatred.

And for all of you who DO use the term "gay" or whatever, you sound homophobic.

Oh....and ahem, about half of homophobic poeple ARE closeted homosexuals, just sayin'.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
Thank's, I was pretty hesitant to put it out there, but then I realized it needed to be said, and I don't care what opposition I might face because it's something I believe in strongly, so I did.

Thank's a lot man.

~P

kbear

Smash Cadet
So... to sum it up:
No johns when it comes to using "Gay" as a derogatory comment.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
iight iight not gonna lie. im gay.

i dont say ”hes playing like a nîgger“.

whats the communites problem? its a habit. and just like a bad playing habit, it will be punished

so come out of the closet and on the way out grab a bat.

Wuss

Smash Champion
Saying things like "playing gayer and gayer," when you step back and say it out loud at least, it sounds pretty dumb. To me anyway. I mean, when you read between the lines, the quotee is saying "he's playing more and more defensively" and if you REALLY read between the lines, it's more along the lines of "he's being more and more of a wuss, or a b*tch." I mean look at that post and tell me there isn't something innately wrong with it :confused:
What are you saying about being a wuss? got a problem with that?

I disagree, on a theoretical basis; however, I do think that instead of telling people on a forum where you have some amount of anonymity, you should be assertive (if you actually care) and tell people to stop saying it when they say, to their faces. That's the only way you're ever going to change what people say. this thread will most likely not change anyone's opinion or lingo.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
I just have to ask those of you whom I'm addressing... do you even know what you're saying? Do you know how offensive saying things like that are? Do you understand that using the term "dickweed" as a derogatory term implies that being a "dickweed" is bad, wrong, or distasteful? I mean sure it's a gaming community and what not, but that does NOT give everyone an excuse to use it anyway. I've heard all of the excuses in the world, but when you break it down to the fundamentals, there is no explanation. I have a post here who's name I won't reveal (obviously) as an example of what I'm talking about.

No sooner did I say it, than did 2 gleaming examples expose themselves. Anonymity is a great thing isn't it dickweeds? Get the hell out of my thread.

kbear

Smash Cadet
I just have to ask those of you whom I'm addressing... do you even know what you're saying? Do you know how offensive saying things like that are? Do you understand that using the term "dickweed" as a derogatory term implies that being a "dickweed" is bad, wrong, or distasteful? I mean sure it's a gaming community and what not, but that does NOT give everyone an excuse to use it anyway. I've heard all of the excuses in the world, but when you break it down to the fundamentals, there is no explanation. I have a post here who's name I won't reveal (obviously) as an example of what I'm talking about.
... oh wow.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
No sooner did I say it, than did 2 gleaming examples expose themselves. Anonymity is a great thing isn't it dickweeds? Get the hell out of my thread.
Honestly, what else did you expect to gain from posting a thread like this? On the interwebs?

And for the record, I don't care either way. Saying Jiggz' moves are gay is equally silly as getting upset over it. Just my two cents.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
What are you saying about being a wuss? got a problem with that?

I disagree, on a theoretical basis; however, I do think that instead of telling people on a forum where you have some amount of anonymity, you should be assertive (if you actually care) and tell people to stop saying it when they say, to their faces. That's the only way you're ever going to change what people say. this thread will most likely not change anyone's opinion or lingo.
You say that with confidence that I haven't already... First of all, I go to a liberal arts college in southern Vermont, I'm not part of an environment where things like that are said, so there's not many people to tell. But in the past whenever my friends would say it, I'd confront them about it and they eventually stopped.

And I don't get why you disagree on a "theoretical basis"

I can't help the level of anonymity I have here, if anyone wants to discuss it with me I'll give them my AIM address or hell, my phone number.

And I am NOT here to change people, don't give me an ulterior motive.

~P

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
i dont say ?hes playing like a nîgger?.
I think the main issue with that is that most people don't use that term in a derogatory sense. Unless it's used to directly insult someone, people throw around the term everyday. Personally, I can't stand that term, *****, or any other form of the word.

After reading the OP, I see where he's coming from . The word gay is almost always used negatively, save for the Flintstone's theme song, but I have no idea how it became a term used to describe something not going your way, which brings me to back to the "******" comment.

Iunno, just speaking my thoughts, is all.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm gay and I take no offence to the negative usage of the word at all.

The meaning of the word is entirely contextual. Even words like ***got aren't really a big deal, I mean I use it a lot myself so I should know.

When someone's using it as a direct attack at gay people, it doesn't bother me that much because that's just the way they feel about it, something I can't change. The bigger a deal people make of stuff like this, the stronger these negative ideas get cemented in their minds.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
First off:

Secondly:

This is the internet. No matter whether or not what you say is rational or makes sense in your eyes, people are going to do whatever the **** they want. Let's look at a prime example: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=235093.

Stuff like that happens when people try to tell others what to do on the internet, that's the way it works.

Thatfatcat

Smash Apprentice
Lthium: on the contrary, it's not an action through being upset, but more of an action through awareness. For people in this thread who are using this word, you sound extremley immature and unintelligent.

Why immature and unintelligent? Because what you are saying is self centered and foolish. To use the same word over and over agian really makes you know what you are talking about and definetley doesn't make you sound like a deadbeat, right guys? Go to school kids, grow a pair, and figure out the world isn't all about you.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
I figured I'd get a million people saying "its useless to come here and get mad about it, your wasting your time, youre not going to convert anyone, this is the internet ETC ETC ETC. I don't care, if you read the whole post, you'll see I said im not TRYING to change anyone, jesus christ it's just my account of the effect it's had on me, what's wrong with you people...

And to the guy who made the juxtaposition between gay and dickweed, I get you're trying to be funny, but that's unnecessary and the point you're making is wrong -.-

~P

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
who the hell really cares about your beliefs on the internet?
You think I don't know that? Listen to yourself... you're posting in a thread with practically 3 pages of replies in what, an hour? Obviously SOME people care. Even if they didn't, I wouldn't care, i did it mostly for myself.

and @ VRAEL

I get it, you're anon and you're legion and blah blah blah it's the internet who cares etc, ok? are you done?

~P

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
So I can't say gay(which isn't really offensive so comparing it to n*gger is ********, it wouldn't be if people we were saying f*g) but I can still say ****? That doesn't make any sense. **** is a MUCH harsher word than gay. Not that big of a deal imo.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Lthium: on the contrary, it's not an action through being upset, but more of an action through awareness. For people in this thread who are using this word, you sound extremley immature and unintelligent.
I get what the OP is trying to do, dude. I just think he's doing it... er, rather badly. Getting upset after the first immature (yet amusing) post isn't going to help his cause.

I think Sandtru summed it best already though.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
I get what the OP is trying to do, dude. I just think he's doing it... er, rather badly. Getting upset after the first immature (yet amusing) post isn't going to help his cause.

I think Sandtru summed it best already though.
While sounding upset I'm sure, I just knew i'd encounter the type, so I reacted accordingly. LISTEN, TO EVERYONE, I'm not trying to frigging CONVERT YOU. I'm not trying to DO anything lol, I just gave an account, and wanted to hear people's ideas / thoughts on it, good lord!

~P

Thatfatcat

Smash Apprentice
While sounding upset I'm sure, I just knew i'd encounter the type, so I reacted accordingly. LISTEN, TO EVERYONE, I'm not trying to frigging CONVERT YOU. I'm not trying to DO anything lol, I just gave an account, and wanted to hear people's ideas / thoughts on it, good lord!

~P
I wish there was a *like* button.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I love when people use the word upset. How am I getting upset?
Haha, I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the OP.

~P
I guess you got what you wished for then, eh? ;)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
OP said:
I just have to ask those of you whom I'm addressing... do you even know what you're saying? Do you know how offensive saying things like that are? Do you understand that using the term "gay" as a derogatory term implies that being "gay" is bad, wrong, or distasteful? I mean sure it's a gaming community and what not, but that does NOT give everyone an excuse to use it anyway. I've heard all of the excuses in the world, but when you break it down to the fundamentals, there is no explanation. I have a post here who's name I won't reveal (obviously) as an example of what I'm talking about.
You may not be trying to convert people, but you're telling people what's wrong or right. You're basically telling people what they should or should not do.

People on the internet DO NOT GIVE A **** about what you think they should do. It doesn't matter what you were or were not trying to do, but that's what you did.

Also, I responded like I normally do when someone tries to tell me what I should or should not do on this site. Nothing personal.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
Wat ch this.
A fantastic end to the thread no doubt?... what a life it had -.-

And if not... @ VRAEL - So you're saying that using gay as an epithet isn't "wrong"? Well ok, that's your belief, and if that's true well I think you're wrong. HOWEVER, I'm not TELLING you "you're wrong!" it's just my opinion that you are. Big difference. I never told you to do anything, but if telling people "HEY MAN SCREW YOU" whenever they do something like I did, hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Tom and Chaco you're such ***gots man get back to DGames or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom