• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Olimar Stage Discussion

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Pokemon Stadium

Since this stage has different sections, I'm going to separate it into five sections. The first one is going to cover the unchanged version of Pokemon Stadium and qualities about it that are the same for the other sections, such as how the ledges affect gameplay, etc.

Summary: Pokemon stadium is a really interesting stage, though often overlooked. Many players oftentimes don't know just how good it is for their character, as it has several different forms, some of which are good for them, some of which aren't. The first phase of the stage is a hybrid of Battlefield and Final Destination, being long and flat with two very small platforms that aren't very influential, while still making a difference if they are needed. The ledges will **** up a lot of recories if a character gets caught underneath it, such as Diddy colliding against it while trying to barrel up. Also, much of the time, players will find themself trying to roll away from the ledge only to find themself being stuck in place against the dividing line of the stage and the border of the stage. This is a problem against anyone who tries to roll away, however proves to be moreso of a problem for us, as being backed against a ledge for us is a much bigger problem, as we need every option in this situation as possible, and this just takes one away.

Pros:
-large size promotes our campiness and decreases the occurrences of us being backed against a ledge
-ledges **** up other recoveries while we're not bothered by it
-platforms are small making it extremely easy to punish opponents that are stuck on them

Cons:
-ledges mess us up more than other characters eliminating our ability to roll away when backed against a ledge
-small platforms mean we can't escape to them as easily as we normally would on bigger ones

Counterpick:
:falco: :popo:

Neutral: Meta Knight

Ban
No really anyone :/

Strike: Diddy, DDD, Pikachu, DK

Pluck Percentages
Main Stage: 23%, 23%, 23%, 15%, 15%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fire Transformation

Summary: The only transformation (other than the regular phase) that doesn't have any changes in pluck percentages :X This phase is actually pretty good for Olimar. A lot of opponents tend to try to camp the left sections, either the part under the tree or on top of the tree. If they camp under the tree, this gives you time to toss off pikmin and get your line to look like how you'd like it to. This'll either give you a ****** line or force them out of their camping. Usually the latter. If they're above the tree you can still do this, and they'll probably come to you more easily. You're also able to attack then with pikmin chain while they're in that area if the opponent doesn't know that it'll work. However, don't try to approach them when they're in these areas, or try to bait them by camping those sections if they're playing a character that's good at getting you out. Olimar doesn't do well in tight spaces and does best at keeping his opponents a certain distance away from him. The right section of the stage does limit him a bit, removing from the stage's huge size, but not too much. The platform from the house helps out a lot when getting back on stage, and the tree's wall produces comboes well when throwing/hitting the opponent against it, them oftentimes landing on top of the house making it easier to follow it up.

Pros:
-opponents trying to camp us out with the stage's awkward shape will allow you to sift through the pikmin you have if there are some you don't want or some that you want more of
-wall does well for wall combos
-platform is good for retreats and recoeries
-slant near the middle helps our grabs and fsmash

Cons:
-stage slightly limits our room to move and retreat

Pluck Percentages

Grass Transformation

Summary: Probably the blandest of the transformations. The grass phase provides lots of platforms that can help us in our juggling game, mostly the two on the center of the stage. The stage produces a few slight alterations in the stage height around the stream and right side of the stage which helps both grabs and fsmashes a lot. But other than that there isn't much to say about it :/

Pros:
-it's simple?
-platforms assist our juggle game
-two sections that give a boost to pluck percentages, one being the rare water terrain
-bumps in the stage boost our grabs and fsmash game

Cons:
-platforms make it a bit easier for opponents to avoid us when we try to pressure
-tree is bad for us if we're on it against an opponent

Pluck Percentages
Stream: 0%, 30%, 40%, 15%, 15%
Tree: 23%, 23%, 23%, 20%, 10%

Return to Stage Directory

Rock Transformation

Summary: A lot of the traits of the Fire Transformation can be said for this one as well. For one, being on the left side limits our ability to get away from our opponent, while being on the left or middle may force us into a position to where we're close up against our opponent and get punished severely for it. However, both are much more the case than they previously would be in the Fire Phase. The main difference though, is that the platforms extending from the right divider make things somewhat easier on us when having to get away, making it more of us using the stage's shape to our advantage to get away. When our opponent tries to use the campiness to trick us into approaching when we obviously shouldn't, we're able to use the amazing (and rarely see) metallic terrain to pluck more purple and yellow pikmin faster, throwing away the pikmin we wouldn't need as much. And when they figure out what you're doing, they'll come to the fray immediately! That or the stage will change back and they'll realize you now have four purples :p Camping the middle section isn't so bad as we're able to use uair to cover their approaches well when they try to get in. The same can't always be said if we try to camp the left section, as they have more room on the left to mix up their approach. The right wall isn't as good for combos when an opponent is thrown into it. The platforms are amazing for setups though.

Pros:
-sections can sometimes make it easier to get away from the opponent
-purple pikmin!!
-uair covers us well if we bait our opponent into approaching us when we're in the center section

Cons:
-it's difficult for us to approach an opponent that camps the left side (but who cares!)
-right wall sections off half of the stage
-approaching a character in the middle section can be difficult, but the same can be said if we're there instead

Pluck Percentages
Metal Bars: 20%, 30%, 20%, 10%, 20%

Water Transformation

Summary: Ahhh the windmill. Seeing as how Luigi's Mansion is banned in most areas (not mine! :p) many Olimars flock at the opportunity to replicate it's amazing combos on this stage. When under the windmill you're able to dthrow/uthrow/usmash the opponent into the windmill, and usmash/fsmash/dsmash them when they land back on the ground, creating combos that oftentimes lead to death. However, unlike on Luigi's Mansion, when you're not even under the windmill, but say, in the middle section of the stage, you're able to throw the opponent towards the windmill and they'll bounce back towards you in a downward angle. This oftentimes leads to an easy setup for another dsmash/usmash/fsmash/tech chase making this probably olimar's best phase on Pokemon Stadium. The left platform works like any other for traps and pressure. The right one not as much, as it's a bit too high. Be careful not to be trapped under the windmill against a character that can completely trump your options under it. Again, the slant on this phase works like any other, doing wonders for Olimar's grabs and fsmash. The left slant not as much, as it slants downwards not very long next to a ledge.

Pros:
-Windmill Combos!
-Shallow Water terrain which is rarely ever seen
-Slant near the middle of the stage near the opening of the windmill

Cons:
-Right platform doesn't work well for setups
-Opponents camping the top of the windmill are hard to approach
-Opponents that work really well under the windmill and trump olimar's up-close options will be a pain

Pluck Percentages
Metal Bars: 0%, 30%, 40%, 15%, 15%

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
I find i do well against peach on this stage. Maybe its because of the length and i dont think she cant float the dair that well with the platforms since it'd be easier to set up an uair after an upsmash. Since the stage is long u can camp on the platforms more of the time if u want.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
One of two (?) legal stages that has a 40% blue pluck rate on certain terrain, the other being Delfino. It also has a lot of fun and unique gimmicks for Oli to play with (windmill, burnt tree, on-stage tetherable cliff, etc.).
I used to hear that it's a good stage to bring Meta to (Note that I said "good", not "the best"). What is the general opinion on that nowadays?

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I think it's a pretty good stage for Metaknight. Abnormalities like the ones on this stage generally help characters that aren't MK more than they help MK. IMO

MJG

Smash Hero
As stated earlier, this stage is basically a moderately large stage with plat forms and transformations.

The only advantage I could see in this stage is the possibility of screwing your opponents character when they are trying to recover. I've played on this stage against an Luigi and instead of attempting to send them back at, I saw that they were charging their "Green Missle?" (Whatever Luigi's side B attack is) and I grabbed the ledge as they flung themselves towards the stage but they got stuck on the side of the ledge...

tl;dr PS1 isn't a bad stage at all. May help or hinder your opponents recovery options...

Oh...and, on the rock transformation, something that is pretty annoying is the fact that you can't roll away from the ledge completely when you are on the "right" side of the stage since their is a bump in the ground (Im sure a lot of you knew this).

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You may be surprised. I hear pro olimars never roll, but I think that's just some sort of crazy myth.

Do we have any sort of stage transition shenanigans or is that sort of thing difficult to abuse?

MJG

Smash Hero
You may be surprised. I hear pro olimars never roll, but I think that's just some sort of crazy myth.

Do we have any sort of stage transition shenanigans or is that sort of thing difficult to abuse?
You may be surprised. I hear that when rolling back on stage from the ledge, you can get screwed from the bump in the ground, but im lying surely.

<3 Olimars.

Noa.

Smash Master
Rolling of the ledge is an option not used to often, but all ledge options are important. The ledge is an extremely vulnerable place to be against a good opponent. Unless you're planking or something.

Llumys

Smash Champion
I know we're not nearly done discussing this stage, but I have a suggestion for the next!

Brinstar!

I have so many useful tricks it. I can't wait to share. :D

Japes would be interesting too.

Denti

Smash Master
My thoughts on olimar and ps1..

okay, I've been thinking hard about this stage too recently and I must say the MU really depends. If olimar is at a disadvantage i never want to go here because the stage transformation blocks our running from them. The stage element transformation and pikmin pluck percentage is a perk IMO because a couple of MUs Ive had trouble getting the killing blow, and it transforms into the windmill stage and i run straight to the water and pluck blues then grab once and finish them off. I need more practice on this stage to be able to tell if using the walls as a combo helper is more useful than in our way of running from bad situations. I would never take Marth, peach, MK, Luigi, Pikachu, ROB, and probably a few others I'm not fully thinking. I would though Take like IC, G dorf and probably a few others I'm not thinking about again LOL.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I second the suggestion that we discuss Brinstar next. I never hear anything about that place and rarely get to play there.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
****, I haven't even said anything about stadium yet >.< gonna do that in a bit and then we can shift to another stage (probably brinstar)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Pokemon Stadium

Main Stage. A nice size stage with two small platforms. The platforms don't make TOO big of an impact, but if an opponent happens to be on one, especially if they're knocked out on the platform, it's way easier to platform trap them on these, as these platforms are smaller when compared to the Battlefield ones. Other than that, pretty simple and self explanitory.

Grass Phase
An okay phase. Platforms kind of remind me of Pirate Ship's Crow's Nest. The Tree is at a perfect hight for usmash/uair. Again, simple and self explanitory. This section actually has two different pluck percentages, the tree which increases whites, and the stream near the middle of the stage which has the rare water terrain. The rest of the stage is normal of course.

Fire Phase
The wall in the center of the stage works great for wall combos. Learn what percents and distances work for a b/fthrow to usmash combo. Oftentimes the opponent will land on the house after being thrown into the tree, which is a free hit for us. Many opponents will try to lure you to the left side. Don't bother, it's far too risky and usually isn't worth it to be trapped with an opponent under the tree. Playing on top of the tree isn't too big of a risk though, but isn't anything worthwhile. When an opponent is approaching from the left side, and Olimar is already on the right, they'll have a hard time making it through if you take advantage of the house. They basically have two options. Land between the house and the tree, in which you're able to punish their landing, as you should know exactly where they're going to land, or they can land or fall through the building, which should be treated just like any other platform pressure. Again, the house is set at an amazing height as well.

Rock Phase
Probably my least favorite phase. It's basically a worse version of the Fire Phase. The left side is more dangerous for Olimar, although you can make it difficult for the opponent to get in if you've already claimed the ground. Unlike the fire phase, they're forced to come at you completely vertically, putting them at risk of being uair'd. They can't really avoid it other than air dodging, which sets them up for a nair or another uair. If they manage to completely avoid everything you do to stop their approach, you're actually able to use your other jump, or merely tether, to the rock, and run to safety. Do not play the left side if your opponent is there as well. Olimar is not a character that does well against opponents that are close up to him. The right side of the phase is okay, however you're pretty much completely cut off from the rest of the stage, forced to a small area. It's not as bad as it could be, but there isn't too much room to avoid the opponent. However, you are able to jump from section to section and "play" on the stage, in a sense, to make things difficult for your opponent to catch you without gettig uaird, which is the main good thing about this phase. The center of the stage, the inside, is basically like the left side without the ledge above you. There's more room for you, but be careful against opponents that do well against a wall or in closed spaces. One thing to know about this phase is that the metal plates give an increase to yellow and purple pikmin. Oftentimes when opponents are camping the left side of the stage, I'll start tossing away my pikmin and go for purples, pulling pikmin from the plate. This will either give me lots of purples (yay!) or cause my opponent to stop camping and fight me like a man.

Water Phase
:D
The reason I love PS1. First, the obvious. The windmill serves as a Pseudo-Ceiling. However, the difference between this and Mansion's Ceiling is that you don't have to just usmash or d/uthrow the opponent into it. Just about any smash or throw can set up the opponent for another. Which smash or throw you should use will be dependent on the angle of the windmill. If you're on the left side of the windmill, and you dsmash as the followup, it will send the opponent off stages or set them up for another dsmash, depending on which direction they go. Oftentimes people will try to DI or Tech the windmill. If they misstime it, a dsmash will take advantage of their messed up DI. While in the center of the stage, I've oftentimes gotten b/fthrow -> usmash kills with the windmill. Throwing the opponent into it will send them right back to you. Just follow their trajectory for the kill. Also, if you like blue/yellow pikmin (or hate reds!), against opponents that like to camp the windmill (because they think they're better in there than us), you can basically do the same thing you do on the rock phase, tossing away pikmin to take advantage of the shallow water terrain.

IMO this is a solid stage for Olimar, possibly one of his best, but not too much so. There's a lot of tricks and gimmicks for us here but no simple solid advantage such as we would get on halberd or FD.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I really don't know tbh. There aren't many characters that Olimar really does bad against on the stage. I wouldn't take characters there if the matchup is one that you have to focus on staying as far away as possible. Snake, Lucario, maybe falco, I wouldn't want to take luigi there tbh, Peach does really well there. I actually like it against Marth for the same reasons I like Delfino against him, it seems to make him have to come at you at unorthodox angles and marth really doesn't do well against us in those situations. The platforms aren't detrimental against us so we don't have to worry about them too much.

If there isn't too much to say from other players (it seems not many other people play the stage too much) we can move on to Brinstar.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I really don't know tbh. There aren't many characters that Olimar really does bad against on the stage. I wouldn't take characters there if the matchup is one that you have to focus on staying as far away as possible. Snake, Lucario, maybe falco, I wouldn't want to take luigi there tbh, Peach does really well there. I actually like it against Marth for the same reasons I like Delfino against him, it seems to make him have to come at you at unorthodox angles and marth really doesn't do well against us in those situations. The platforms aren't detrimental against us so we don't have to worry about them too much.

If there isn't too much to say from other players (it seems not many other people play the stage too much) we can move on to Brinstar.
time for me to defeat you on delfino =D

i forgot to ban fd for some reason, i would've actually preferred for you to go to delfino since i could've brought out the marth there x_x

also you're right about ps1, it's not a very good marth stage at all >__>;

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ummm...characters you bring to PS1: people without wall infinites and/ or have weak aerial approaches

everyone else isn't too bad to fight on here...still not a CP material stage unless you have a personal like for the stage

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Brinstar

Summary: Learn your stages. That's the biggest part about brinstar. This is one of the main stages that you have to play a lot before you feel comfortable on. You'll have to get use to changing your playstyle slightly for each section of the stage, as there are many things you can't do at certain positions. Certain areas mess up your fsmash or grabs, certain parts make them better. At certain times you're forced to rely on aerial combat and are at a disadvantage, at certain times you're able to use uair to keep pressure on your opponent. At certain times the acid will come up unexpectedly and **** you up, at certain times it will save you as you recover. There are both pros and cons to this stage but overall, it's not one of Olimar's best. Though it's definitely not his worst.

Pros:
-uair's usefulness increases tremendously
-acid can save you and help your recovery
-uneven terrain is oftentimes good for olimar at messing up our opponent's ground options.
-the yellow increase in the stage helps with the aerial influence in the stage
-up smash while on the top platform will kill ridiculously early
-close horizontal blast zones help us a lot

Cons:
-opponents are able to shark us from below the stage when the acid is low
-the acid can force us into an aerial situation in which we're at a huge disadvantage in most situations
-we're not able to fsmash at certain areas of the stage as the slants will stop it
-the breakable section can stop our grabs if our opponent is too far
-the stage being broken can force us into situations in which we don't have much room to escape from our opponent without having to jump to the other section or a platform

Counterpick:
:popo:

Ban:
:metaknight: :snake: :wario: :lucas: :gw: :dk2:

Pluck Percentages
Main Stage: 20%, 30%, 20%, 15%, 15%

Llumys

Smash Champion
Meta Knight sharks the hell out of you here.

For people who have trouble here, make sure you're aware of the slants for f-smashes, where grabs are forced to stop, etc. It's not too complicated, but it's important to know.

U-tilting the membrane-esque thing connecting the main platform to a smaller one can be pretty funny. It slows the move down, therefore sometimes tricking the opponent. Obviously this works with other multi-hit moves.

It's possible to whistle the lava to your death.

I'll add some practical stuff later.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I fixed up the first two pages a bit to see if I like the format. I may end up changing it around or editing it to look a bit prettier.

Anyways, Hilt's opinions on matchups:

Meta Knight - him sharking you here and the stage while it's split is troublesome, but overall I don't mind the stage that much against mk. It's not somewhere we'd want to take MK to, but there are better stage to ban against him. I'd rather face MK here than Norfair/Frigate/RC

Snake - Yeah watch out for snake here. The shape of the stage and the snot on the sides work wonders for grenades, and he gets ftilt kills so fast here. We kill him a little earlier though. Most snakes won't take us here though.

Wario - Ban?

Falco - I've considered taking falco here tbh. I haven't had the chance to test it though, I guess I'll try to soon.

Diddy Kong - eh, it's really not as bad for diddy a you'd think. Pretty average in this matchup

Marth - I could see the stage not being that bad against marth, but I'm not sure. The size of the stage may not do well for us, but the shape definitely would in this matchup.

GW - fuuuuuck

IC - Possible CP

Kirby - They'll take you here but don't worry about it too much

DK - Ban this unless norfair is legal. Even if norfair is legal you may still wanna ban this XD

Luigi - A really solid stage for luigi, be prepared for him to take you here

Lucas - Only stage worth banning against lucas

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I would imagine, but I have little wario experience so I wouldn't know, tbh. How do you all feel about how aerial based the stage becomes? Olimar usually doesn't do well in that situation but can uair cover over that?

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ummmm...no...upair (and nair for characters with longer spotdodges) does not cover everything...you need upsmash as well...but the stage formot makes getting any other smash but up smash hard...along with grabs...so kills will be extremely hard unless you are really good with using your fair

also...wario and MK will kill us here...MK is better on here then RC IMO...and we can destroy snake with time outs on this stage...no joke...in theory falco as well...but i only have experience with that against snake

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Nothing about this stage do I find typically useful against most matchups that I play.

There's most likely some gimmicks that we could do warranted the Olimar playing knows this stage fairly well, but I can't necessarily see us taking anyone here, except Ganondorf maybe(and only because it's a change of scenery.)

Ness, on this stage, is pretty darn gifted against us so be wary of it.
Reason being the (for lack of a better term) "sticky poles connected to the platform" extend his Fair, Dair, and Bair hit boxes long enough that if we stay close to them and with good timing there's a big chance that we may get hit. The walls are pretty small as well so his Back throw(also considering the fact that it's harder for us to grab on this stage), is better than ours and his Bair kills very early. He can kill much earlier because he's able to break the(yet again for lack of a better term...and for the lolz) "black balls(that's the lol) that hold the stage together" and use his throws to set up dairs. It warrants a Ban, but you don't necessarily have to use it if you feel they will go somewhere else.

Yo forget the essay. Ban this against Wario. I honestly don't feel like explaining it, but he could basically touch your tender places(**** you) on this stage without your permission, without considerably less effort than on neutrals, CONSIDERABLY!

I'm not too sure about Marth, I'm thinking Dolphin Slash could do you in earlier than it normally would, but I know that I could be wrong.

MK....

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
ummmm...no...upair (and nair for characters with longer spotdodges) does not cover everything...you need upsmash as well...but the stage formot makes getting any other smash but up smash hard...along with grabs...so kills will be extremely hard unless you are really good with using your fair
Maybe that's what it is. I've conditioned myself to use fair in place of usmash in most situations. Also I kind of feel like it does well for our grabs, other than the spots near the center where they stop, reaching just short of our opponent. Grabs over bumpy areas works well, especially if we have the low ground. But yeah, it does mess with our dsmash a bit too, which sadens me :/

Tin Man

Smash Hero
the un even stage doesn't help our f smash, ruins our grabs, mainly cause o the mess of cylinders on the right hand side, we can get sharked. However, the lava helps a lot, prevents gimps, and forces the players to the top of the stage, so it is easier to land kills.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It really helps to set all of the stages in question to random for smashfests, if you don't already. I've gotten pretty comfortable on Rainbow Cruise lately, though I'm still terrible there.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
It really helps to set all of the stages in question to random for smashfests, if you don't already. I've gotten pretty comfortable on Rainbow Cruise lately, though I'm still terrible there.
Friendlies are the only times I get to play Japes anymore :(

But anyways, I think people don't play on Brinstar as much because it's not a bad as other stages for us. Certain Olimars are good on Rainbow Cruise because people always take us there, so they decided that instead of banning it against everyone, they'd learn the stage, and ended up finding out they liked it and find the good things for Olimar about it. Same can be said about Japes, and to an extent, Frigate. Only reason Olimars don't pay attention to PS2 is because people haven't realized that it's a completely terrible and awful Olimar Stage >.>

Brinstar isn't really the case, but there are things you have to learn through experience to play well on it. Fair has to be used noticeably more. Our smashes aren't nearly as good on the stage. Grab is hindered on certain parts of the stage, but heightened on others, learn which is where. Also, learn how to yellow/purple spike opponents through the stage when they're sharking you. It's actually easier to do here than on Halberd/Delfino.

Top Bottom