• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AWYP 3 Winners and Comments!

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
All right everyone, apologies for the delay. I finally got around to formatting the post, during which some certain mods were being *******s (I'm looking at you, EE, Livvers, TMW, and Teran :mad:). Regardless, thanks to Livvers and Spire for taking the time to judge and comment. I'll talk with some of the admins about the smash artist memberships and other awards for the winners. So, with much less ado, here are the winners!

Winners!
1) Frown
2) Tiger Woods
3) Chronodiver Lokii

Chronodiver Lokii:

Adherence to Prompt -
Virg
- Adheres to prompt
Livvers
- Good
Spire
- You definitely depicted an “ideal world”. It’s a world based on the simple concept of sky and that’s exactly what I feel from this.

Skill -
Virg
- In terms of skill, there isn't much. There are very few gradients of color or intricate objects (that would be good with intricacy) that could show off your skill. In those terms, there isn't much skill shown.
Livvers
- Person looks good, but is perhaps a bit too flat. I think the coloring on the land in the distance is too uniform. It looks almost transparent. Should be some kind of shading on it. Also, you put stars “in front” of it(I think it’s because you didn’t have the opacity of the island high enough).

I really enjoy the clouds, and the sky’s gradient. Also, you’re use of fine lines on the person is executed well. While sketchy sketchy can be cool, be careful to clean up the proper areas and make sure it fits the overall picture. His left arm’s lines especially feel out of place.
Spire
- For the anime-inspired look your going for, your skill is adequate. I can see that you have a sense of somewhat proper lighting, what with the ambient source from below the scene. Though, there are some discrepancies due to your lightly drawn and solidly-colored shapes. Clouds are three-dimensional objects and should be treated as such -- these are far too solid. Also, as objects push further back into the distance, they tend to meld with the colors of the atmosphere, losing detail and fine edges. Your distant clouds are drawn as sharply as those in the foreground and with little [proper] representation of those seen behind the floating land (as they should be). I can see clouds curving around it in the front and sides of it, but none creep from behind it, and those that should be there, should also be colored light blue so as to show distance. The floating island itself is transparent, unlike the clouds, which creates a stark contrast and is undeniably odd and unnatural (and I’m assuming the nature of this world). On top of that, with the clouds revolving around this island, I assume that it has some sort of gravitational pull and as such, should be a completely solid form because it’s definitely not a star.

The character at first glance is the most three-dimensionally rendered part of the drawing, and while s/he’s somewhat flattened due to the airbrushed shading and lack thereof beneath the hair on the vest, they add some relief for the oblong depth perception created by the clouds and island. With further scrutinizing, it’s apparent that the atmosphere is truly the most well rendered element three-dimensionally, as the light blue easily shows what’s nearer and the darker blues, the distant skies and expansive space. Back to the character though, I won’t bark at the wings - I think they’re a very imaginative and interesting approach to the concept of an “angel”. This character does not have tangible feathered wings, rather those of the ethereal sort, showing that the physics of this world is based solely on the concept of sky as an equal to earth as our base. The only forms of earth in this world are above and beyond and must be reached through effort whereas the bountiful, endless sky is readily available.

Ingenuity/Style -
Virg
- The piece is very fluid. The color scheme is well down and sets the tone for a flight themed piece. I'm conflicted about the clouds though; they seem to go against the grain in the painting. The person (you, I'm assuming) is looking at the city thing and the moon, and the clouds just cut straight across that line, which wouldn't be a problem save for the clouds don't lead anywhere. My eyes follow them and they just go nowhere. Meanwhile, you wanted us to look at the moon and the stars around it, but you distract us before we get there.
Livvers
- Really like the cartoony, light feel of the whole drawing. Again, you executed your use of fine lines, and lack of lines well.
Spire
- I won’t lie and say I’m a fan of the obvious anime style, but you certainly pulled off what you seemed to be aiming for well. The style is uniform from the way that the character is composed to clouds and the celestial forms and beyond. It’s all lightly done with digital airbrushing, light sketch marks, and no apparent erasing. The whole of it feels like a sketch, rather than a fully rendered masterpiece, but I admire that. It seems - especially with the forms of the clouds - that you went at it with a “no regrets” approach and what you drew ended up in the piece. I’m particularly fond of the sense of atmosphere and how an endless sea of stars is revealed as your eyes climb upwards from the thicker sheets of gas to the lighter layers of the sky, just as a real sky should work.

Aesthetics -
Virg
- It's a good piece, but a little too bland. The greyish-blue island thing stands out and makes an odd little pairing with your darker shirt that, when you look at it from a distance, adds some weird weight to it. I would work on not just planning out the sketch, but also the color scheme as well.
Livvers
- Love the sky’s gradient. And the viewers angle really makes you feel like your in the sky. I get the feeling like the main character is standing on a cliff looking up and out, though, and while I like that part, it makes me feel like the lowest clouds are out of place and a bit too much. I’ll remark once more about liking the fine lines on your character. It really helps make the whole thing feel light and flighty. The transparent wings were also a nice touch. Lastly, I think you should’ve tried some kind of detail with the island. It’s just -there-
Spire
- Again, the piece is well unified, so that’s an automatic bonus to the aesthetics. There’s no real “edginess” that hurts the eye and such due to the very soft style you’ve implemented. However, I would have liked the island and its swirling clouds to have been given more importance, aside from the character looking at them. That’s obviously the point of focus, but because it’s so flat, it looses a lot of potential character and consequently, the whole image settles on a common ground. That area is the anchor, yet it doesn’t reach the sea floor (so to speak).

aish:

Adherence to Prompt -
Virg
- I original thought your ideal world was an RPG then read your description and was even more confused. I just don't know how "Being together" translates to cosplay characters in fornt of an obelisk in a forest.
Livvers
- Good
Spire
- It’s ideal enough, but the drawing satirizes your friendship with a cartoon look, and since the bonds with your friends exist in the real world, depicting them in a very unrealistic fashion scrapes the credibility. I will not discount the fact that this is something you dream of, and hence does not have to be realistic, but the reduction in points may further be explained by some of my following comments.

Skill -
Virg
- The photoshop skills are good, however, the shading and coloring isn't very deep. To put in better words, the shades of a color don't go from very dark to very light. That's not a problem in itself, but it just makes things much easier to shade due to things being more plain and bland.
Livvers
- Good job on the people. I think what you should focus on most is shading. There are a lot of light colors in this, but no darks to really contrast or give shape and depth.
Spire
- Your skill in the field your working in is on par, though there’s no real movement in this whatsoever. The characters feel incredibly static and “flash-animated”; with unbalanced proportions and posture. Anime can look well done, but this is all far too shiny, clean, and I’ll be frank - bizarre. The composition is a mess. Unbalanced and unconventional colors are thrown everywhere, and if not for the subject matter which they compose, it would most likely work to your benefit. In this case, the super unrealism (trying to emulate a sense of realism) hurts the drawing more than anything.

Ingenuity/Style -
Virg
- The composition needs work. All of the people and faces blend together and just lump into this tan and beige blob that covers half the screen. The color schemes just all blend together and make it difficult to focus on. I also don't know why they are all titled; it doesn't add much of anything to the painting but just makes it feel off balanced.
Livvers
- I really enjoy how it’s a group photo, and that someone is holding the camera taking it.
Spire
- The style is like previously stated, this soapy clean, jagged edged anime feel. The unrealistic spiky hair contrasting with the otherwise roundness of the tops of heads, clouds, and the leaves of trees create a contrast that does not work in favor of the piece.

Aesthetics -
Virg
- This work just does nothing for me. All of them look the same. Yes, their clothes and hats and hair are different, but that's it. They all blend together in so many ways. If I lean back from my computer and look at this piece, I get confused and when i step in closer, that doesn't change. Work on drawing features, on balancing compositions, on color schemes.
Livvers
- I feel the composition is slightly jarring. A bit messy and I think the camera is turned too much. Also think it would have a better feel if the people were interacting with each other more, or just had a bit more going on with them other than gently smiling at the camera. I do love all the colors used in this.
Spire
- I would honestly never want to run into any of these people. Sure, that’s opinionated, but it deals precisely with the aesthetics of the drawing. The inhumanness that they give off (the green, purple, and silver hair does not help) creates a surrealistic and sickening atmosphere. These people look incredibly uncomfortable to be around, being of the pretentious, flamboyant, and scarily cheerful sort. Together, in this whatever Disneyland type of place they’re at, they evoke nausea. I can easily see them scantily clad, lying on a beach together wearing the same facial expressions. I cannot see true emotion in any of them, and hence, cannot find myself within this drawing whatsoever. I wouldn’t want to be sorting through my mail and see this. In a nutshell, this is pure cliché.

TigerWoods:

Adherence to Prompt -
Virg
- Adheres to prompt
Livvers
- Good
Spire
- This’ll be fleshed out below.

Skill -
Virg
- The photoshopping is pretty good. It took a double take for me to notice (insert pun about asians all looking the same).
Livvers
- Really good job with the photoshop! I’m pretty impressed! Only thing I can say it that I think that shadows around the feet seem a bit weird? It’s really hard to tell, though. Good job.
Spire
- The ability to cut yourself three times into a picture already of yourself is incredible. I can’t say I’ve ever done better (or anything this close to what I’d deem perfect). Though, I’m going to dog on you about composition, which is definitely a matter of skill. Nearly half of the composed photograph is carpet, so that could have received a bit more attention in preparation, but I’ll come back to that under a different category. Again, bravo on the photoshopping.

Ingenuity/Style -
Virg
- I like the idea of it; a concert of you. The room and the situating of the yous needs a little work to be mor epleasing to the eyes, but still good.
Livvers
- Thought this was a very cool concept.
Spire
- I 100% did not expect anything like this when I created the prompt. You successfully surprised me. Your love for music is easily seen in the work, and what is commonly known as an impossibility is realized as borderline believable with your keen Photoshop work. I can see easily that you want the ability to hear yourself playing all four instruments at once; the ability to conduct a band all on your own where you are in complete control of everything. Such is an aspiration.

Aesthetics -
Virg
- The idea is great, but the execution is a little lacking. The carpet and walls are these very dull, earth tones and take up so much of the picture. It just feels monotonous: though you changed shirts for each version, they are all still very similar. What if each one were dressed like a certain aspect of you? Make it not just a picture but more of a visual biography? Just ideas that you could add onto it.
Livvers
- Not gonna lie, the room is a bit bland. I know you couldn’t move the piano and what not, but the room just detracts from the picture.
Spire
- Aside from having you in there four times, it aesthetically looks like an offhand photograph, snapped without any preparation or thought, as if someone walked into the room and took the photo immediately. Though in some ways, I think that helps to convey the realistic look you were going for. You’ve placed yourself in a room four times, doing four different things, and in four different outfits - completely works right there. You then take the pic with little thought about composition and the end product, and with the little “ghost bubble” above your third incarnation, it looks even less professional, which again, sort of works to your benefit. The closer to perfection we may aim, the more unrealistic a product we may create. There is humanity in the imperfections and mistakes in our work - such as chatter or accidental strums on a guitar in a recording.

Frown:

Adherence to Prompt -
Virg
- Adheres to Prompt
Livvers
- Good
Spire
- Good

Skill -
Virg
- The photoshopping skills are good. Being an astronautics major, I know that the view is a little skewed in terms of perspective, but that is knit picking to an extreme. The blue highlights ont eh face add a nice touch of realism. Good job.
Livvers
- I think the light from the window is brilliant. Really gives a feel of being in space. Good job with the photoshop, too. I feel like the window should’ve been the only light source, though. I feel it would’ve added to the mood.
Spire
- The lighting is superb, even the lamplight. The natural, blue glow cast from the Earth is nothing short of accurate, and with the warm light cast from the lamp, it adds to your situation. You live in a functioning house in space, not one dependent on the planet it orbits. I know you explained yourself about the google maps Earth, but there are stock photos that could have sufficed to give a much truer feel.

Ingenuity/Style -
Virg
- It is a very simple concept, but you executed it well. Actually, if you look at how much space (hur hur) you took up with effects/photoshopping, your entry arguably has the smallest amount, but you utilized it well. If the window were normal, it changes the picture so radically that one could argue that it is the picture more so than the rest of the room. Of course that's not true (they need each other to play off the appeal of space and life), but it is interesting to see how much one change affects the tone and feel of the picture.
Livvers
- Love it! I liked seeing how resourceful you were about getting light. I think the turned camera added a nice touch, btw
Spire
- You know that saying “there’s no such thing as an original idea”? Well I can sort of say that about this piece. I’ve never seen anything exactly like it, but it takes me back to various movies and such that I’ve seen over the years. It’s like a fairy tale; a childhood fantasy. Though by saying that, it recalls ideas and dreams of my own as a child. Though, you seem to be looking at the earth rather solemnly, as if to say goodbye, or “I wish I could be there”, and while those are simple assumptions, the photo sparks such questions. That, I feel, may be your largest success: truly evoking a curiosity in what this person (you) is thinking and feeling towards our planet.

Aesthetics -
Virg
- I like it, I do. I wish that you messed around with the room a little more, possible adding some things or arrangements that can add to the story behind the picture (a toy rocket, training manual, whatever) just to add a little supplement. It doesn't need it, but it would be whipped cream on a rather good dessert. Also, did you try taking the picture without the lighting coming from behind the camera? I would imagine it would add more to the space theme, but can understand if the lighting was just too poor without it. Regardless, good job.
Livvers
- Again, I think it may have looked better had there been light only coming from the window, but it’s hard to saw without seeing. Wish you would have organized your books up a bit more to make the overall image more appealing. Also I think you should’ve tried photoshopping out the lamp cords.

Still, overall very nice. Love the world outside. I think your pose is very good and contemplative.
Spire
- Again, the google maps image of earth is a big let down compared to what you were originally going for. Aside from that, the lighting, while not as dynamic as it could have been (not using lamps may have helped), is wonderfully used. The immediate contrast between blue and orange light is brilliant. It recalls The Empire Strikes Back, and I’m sorry that I can’t give bonus points for that.

Mewter:

Adherence to Prompt -
Virg
- Adheres to prompt
Livvers
- Good
Spire
- Good

Skill -
Virg
- There isn't much skill, but I don't blame you since you rushed everything through ;)
Livvers
- It’s hard for me to judge this properly since I can’t see details. I’d say try to use more colors and make it vibrant. Also, be a bit more thoughtful/careful with your line work. Also, there is no harm in using a compass or a cup etc to get a good circle. I do enjoy the shadows you put under the clouds and the clouds themselves. Also, you have some decent perspective on the various buildings.
Spire
- I’ll be frank - when it comes to drawing, your skill level is sub-par, but I will judge according to that skill level. It is not a lack of shading that gets to me, nor a lack of texture, but simply a lack of understanding of space, scale, and form. It is undeniably erroneous when you can see the curvature of the earth and people in the same image, and I only say that because your solid description justifies your concept and approach to the piece, but the drawing does not deliver. If not for your seriously thought out description, I would not judge the drawing in equal measure, but I am forced to. The moon is drawn too close to the earth and neither is a sphere like they should be. Whether that’s the earth or the moon in the foreground, the curvature is oblong in shape and does not depict a proper sphere. The earth/moon seen in space is even less a sphere, detracting from how serious I can take this drawing when given your description. There is a sheer lack of detail completely, and while that does not always hurt (detail can sometimes detract from a piece depending on the style that it’s done in), this drawing is definitely hampered by it. Also, the faint colors in the water, sand, forests, and sky don’t do what colors should do: render light, energy, form, and texture; the colors seem to be entirely extraneous and are imbalanced in their placement.

To improve, I would suggest working on shading - learn to render a shape in light so that it becomes a form. A circle is a shape, a sphere is a form. A circle can resemble a sphere, a cylinder, or a cone, but a sphere will always be a sphere. Set up a still life and practice drawing to understand composition, lighting, depth, and scale. These are all very important techniques to know when working with any form of art.

Ingenuity/Style -
Virg
- Akin to the Skill category, it looks like you didn't have much time to play this out. There are giant empty spaces on the canvas that just bore the eye. There is very little detail, which isn't always a problem, but there isn't color or contrast in there to replace it. Without any eye catching aspects, the viewer tends to just glance over once, is sure they caught everything, and continue on to the next painting. As an artist, you want to hold them for as long as possible, which this piece doesn't do. Check on the deadline for the contest before the last day in the future :)
Livvers
- Thought this was pretty cool. I think what you lack in drawing skill, you make up for with some style. Like how you made the view.
Spire
- You said, “words to make up for the lack of capture quality and loss of detail.” Well, I won’t bark up the capture quality tree, but words should never make up for a lack of detail. The piece should be able to speak for itself - a description should be entirely supplementary, but yours is dependent on it. Without the description, I would look at this planet and think, “okay, there’s a space ship, so this is in the future and there’s a lot of water...” but stop there. I really draw nothing more from it.

Aesthetics -
Virg
- Plan out what you are going to do. No one has the composition right the first time. Is this the best view to show off a greener earth? Can some one tell without a caption? Why should I like this painting? WHat's drawing me in and telling me not to leave just yet? Go to some art sites (deviantart is fine as long as you put on safe search *spoilers* furries *end spoilers*) and really think about why you like the paintings you do. What do they all have in common? Dwell n that and then try to emulate (with your own touch, of course) and just practice.
Livvers
- I enjoy the view. It definitely feels like I am up in the air viewing a world. I feel like you could’ve put some more colonies on here, though. And again, the colors aren’t strong enough. I still enjoyed looking at this.
Spire
- It’s not painful to look at, but that’s because there’s really not much to look at. It reminds me of The Little Prince stylistically, but the fact that your background information seems like it should accompany a fully rendered 3D world rather than the simple line drawing you’ve provided us with.

Congrats to all that entered. If you want to talk about your piece more in depth, you can talk to me on AIM (vergilijus) if you ever catch me on. That said, I'm proud of everyone that entered and actually finished; it's a lot more difficult to complete something than it is to convince yourself you can. So Frown, talk to me about what you want the next theme to be (or Livvers, either will do) and in the mean time, remember to ART WITH YOUR POWER!

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
CURSE YOU FROWN! :p

- The photoshopping is pretty good. It took a double take for me to notice (insert pun about asians all looking the same).
:mad: :mad: :mad:

The "ghost bubble" is actually an indelible part of the wall... xD I tried photoshoping it out but the wood-like texture to the wall made it impossible without looking odd. So I left it... ^_^

As for the bland carpet... I have a picture of me playing the bongos on the floor that I was planning to add... though it covers up the pretty guitar... so I decided against it.

Thanks for the comments/critiques!

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Congrats Frown! Really loved your piece x3 Very very awesome! Great job everyone!! There is so much talent here on SWF <3

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
The judges had really good critique, as always.

Congrats to everyone. Frown is really good at this, apparently. O_O

aish

Smash Journeyman
My bonds don't exist in the real world =[

and about the crits~ i know my coloring still needs lots of work 8D i just can't find the colors to use, still wows me how people know how to use purple to be a darker shade of green for digital coloring-still don't get how to do that- this is the first piece i tried using the semi realistic look, i wasn't aiming for realistic but semi realistic(for coloring), don't know if you guys know how that looks D: i wanted to see how it goes with my style as i'm still trying to find it, like i used thin lines in this too(from doing that i see thin lines doesn't really match) to see how it goes with my style, lots of experimenting here to find my own style :3. i can't really do anything about the blotch of colors that's the colors those chars have =/ though i chose lots of 'fake' colors so that could be why it looks too colorful. i also wouldn't say they look static, i think stiff is more of the right word-i see lots of my drawings have the stiff look, it's also another thing being worked on but really depends on improvement over time as i continue to draw-. and i'd be pretty freaked myself if i saw any of these chars irl xD of course it wasn't mean to be real people =/ i noticed a typo you made virg xD i think you mean 'tilted' not 'titled'. i was trying to get that angle look when you take a picture of yourself and people with..your own hand xD trying to work on angles and prospective still they always turn out wrong =/ even i the last thing i did my prospective failed again OTL it needs work~

I've recently been trying a different way to lineart to see if it fits better, people say cell shading fits my style the most but probably cause semi cg the colors need to be more real and i can't find real colors well D< i hope to do that meme everyone does that shows their progress over a span of 6+ years : D 5 more years to go

Mewter

Smash Master
Thanks for the critique! I was actually aiming for a Little Prince-type style drawing- sans deep shading (wanted it to look cartoonish, but that only works on the computer). :bee:
I agree with you guys. There's nothing to keep the attention, and the art itself is just plain lousy.

Anyways, next time I'll try to improve the overall fullness and feel of my entry and define it more clearly. Plus, I didn't think out the design that clearly. Even more reason to check the deadline!

Woot Frown! :laugh:

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Congrats to the winners. Good critiques by the judges too.

Can't wait for the next one, will definitely participate (when is it btw?)

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
The Frown was the interesting though the light from what I think is the moon does not correctly match that of where the sun is located (just to be THAT nit-picky). Not only that, should the sun be projecting blue light?

I personally have to disagree with what the comments said under the Skill category about TigerWoods' submission. I'm probably missing info, but unless the photos were chopped on, this is not as difficult as it sounds. No offence to the artist at all. This technique of having multiple selves in one photo is cool and all, but there is an easy trick to doing it without much difficulty, though I'm not sure if TigerWoods knows what I'm talking about.

I should really join the next AWYP, any estimate date?

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Heyo, I'm going to start talk on the next AWYP. New details soon(soon as in maybe a week. I'm sick and work 5 days now so I'm pert busy).

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Please announce the next AWYP soon.

I want to try my hand in ONE of these With Your Power contests.:embarrass

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yes, I love you Livvers! Lucky for me, I fancy drawing myself. Nude though, so you'll get that treat, Livvers.

She lies, it is me. I confirmed with Virg

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Awesome, never knew this existed, will give it go.

When is the next one haha.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
oh vania! You should be your submission before I think, when it was still in the earlier planing stages ^^ I liked how it turned out.

Frown! Your submission is intense. Really really really really cool I thought.

@Tiger: I remember you sharing the photo! Really good. The photoshopping is really clean.

Lokii, I really like your style. Its so...I dunno. Clean and cute.

lol mew2king.

Top Bottom