• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

S

smash brawl player 99021

I wanna see the new thread D: Hurry TRG!

I'm having sooo much fun with my new Dual Magnums <3

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Hey guys,

I know this has nothing to do with MW2 but I thought I'd share this deal with you guys.

Amazon.com is offering the 12+1 xbox live gold membership cards for only $35! Those are savings of $15!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029LJIFG/?tag=slickdeals

Too bad I can't take advantage of this fantastic deal because it's not for amazon.ca

=(

EDIT: Better hurry and order yours because they are probably going to be sold out very soon!

S

smash brawl player 99021

I still have my Months from Christmas, plus the month I'll get from Microsoft. Thanks for the offer though :p

Honestly...I can't stand Demolition. It's probably the dumbest thought of game mode. Just my opinion though. I always love Search and Destroy. Much better imo. I remember when :mad: got a triple kill off a C4 once. And he crawled up behind someone (Unknowingly) and shanked him. Ohh too good <3 ;)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The final version of the revamped thread looks ready. Unfortunately I have a couple of things I want to tweak and it's getting late. Expect it to be up tomorrow at around 4:00 p.m. (eastern time).

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Can we like stop putting music in every thread in the world? It was cool at first but now its just annoying and repetitive.
Every thread in the world =/= three of them because the majority enjoys it. If you don't like it, feel free to say something.

I'm still finishing my guide; should be done by Thursday.

S

smash brawl player 99021

I'm already writing a guide for the Killstreaks/Deathstreaks. Should be done in 1-2 days.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Hey guys,

I know this has nothing to do with MW2 but I thought I'd share this deal with you guys.

Amazon.com is offering the 12+1 xbox live gold membership cards for only $35! Those are savings of $15!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029LJIFG/?tag=slickdeals

Too bad I can't take advantage of this fantastic deal because it's not for amazon.ca

=(

EDIT: Better hurry and order yours because they are probably going to be sold out very soon!
Done and done. Bye bye christmas money.

S

smash brawl player 99021

I wanna write something...
but all i do is use is the UMP.
perhaps how to ump on every map?
Maybe Perks...

Good job ODIN ;) My Exbaawks should be arriving at the Repair Center todayish.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I wanna write something...
but all i do is use is the UMP.
perhaps how to ump on every map?
Sure! A detailed guide on how to effectively use the UMP on every map sounds like a good idea to me! Type it out and send it to me and I'll take a look at it.

We already have :mad: writing his own guide and icy working on a few ones as well.
:)

I'm just going to send TRG some final edits and we should be set to unveil the revamped thread today @ 4 PM EST.

EDIT: @ O D I N : I'm sure you're fairly knowledgeable in something in MW2. Maybe grenade spots or where to plant claymores?

Also, the contact info section of the revamped thread is incomplete. I know that we're missing some member's GTs, PSNs etc. on it. If you could repost your stuff, that'd be great. (I know we're missing tranzworld's & green fox's GTs)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Maybe. I'll think of something. I know there's probably some starter tips I could provide.
That'd be great. We could use a "Beginners Guide to MW2's Multi-Player" guide.

It should contain basic strategies and which weapons/perks to use at the start.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I like it. Where should I post such a thing when it's ready?
You can PM it to me and I'll look over it. And if it's any good, (And I have no doubt that it wouldn't be) then I'll post a link to it in the thread and give you full credit for your work(s).

I'd recommend editing a previous post in this thread with your guide(s) and then writing on my visitor wall/PMing me the link to the post.

Can't wait to see your guide! :)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The revamped OP is up!!! Hope you guys enjoy it!

We officially have the most organized thread in the LH section on Smashboards. I only edited the OP, all credit goes to F8AL!

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
This is false. You're missing the commentator links.

F1ZZ

Smash Lord
Okay I still have not gotten a nuke. :( 5-8 times I have had hardline on and died at 23 which is really upsetting me. :mad: Not to be a noob and all but can someone please let me get a nuke off of them? IM DESPERATE!

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I find Domination to be the best game type to get a nuke.

And I'm in the same predicament - I have yet to get a nuke. All my friends have even gotten enough to get the title for gaining 5 nukes, but I can't do it. Makes me sad, man.

S

smash brawl player 99021

I've gotten 2. Thread looks amazing guys. Great job. My Killstreak guide should be up tonight/tommorow. And guess what else? My Console just made it to Texas! ;D Shouldn't be much longer now <3

S

smash brawl player 99021

Okay I still have not gotten a nuke. :( 5-8 times I have had hardline on and died at 23 which is really upsetting me. :mad: Not to be a noob and all but can someone please let me get a nuke off of them? IM DESPERATE!
Yeah bud...Why do you have Hardline on?
Give us your setup so we can Evaluate it ;)

S

smash brawl player 99021

lol i got 3 pages of stuff written up in word already...
that's just domination on Estate.
good god.
What sort of guide are you writing for? I'm nearly done with mine, so if I keep working, it'll be done by tonight.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
People have very big misconceptions about getting nukes. I've already gotten enough nukes for the nuke emblem, so I know what I'm talking about here. The best playlist to get nukes on is domination.

Anyone who is decent at MW2 knows the the ideal nuke setup is-

Harrier Strike
Chopper Gunner
and of course... the dreaded Tactical Nuke

The biggest advice I can give to you is that the key to getting a nuke is NOT by getting 25 kills. It's by getting 7 kills (or 6 if you use Hardline). Once you get your Harrier Strike, you have almost no excuses to not getting to your nuke. A Harrier Strike against a team that doesn't shoot down air support will get you to a Chopper Gunner 90% of the time. Afterwards, your CG will get you to a Nuke (Or very close. I once had a 23 killstreak once my CG was gone simply because the time was up). The ONLY things that will prevent you from getting a nuke once you get a Harrier out are...

1. Going up against a team that actually shoots down air support. If you go up against a team like this then you're pretty much screwed. Your Harrier will get a kill or two max and you Chopper Gunner will probably only get your killstreak to around 15-20.

2. Getting killed in some stupid way after you call in you Harrier (i.e. getting killed by a Predator Missile while you are camping or some random running around the map using cold blooded). When you get your Harrier you NEED to be in the most protective place that you can think of and camp like there's no tomorrow. Hide in the most obscure place where you think nobody will even think of looking, and let your Harrier do the work for you. If your Harrier doesn't get you to 11 kills, then it's time to play SUPER defensively and carefully let your last kill or two come to you. After you get your CG, go back to hiding in a place where nobody will even glance at, and then bring your CG out and let it get your nuke!

I hope this helped.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
HOW DARE YOU ASK RANDOM PEOPLE TO LET THEMSELVES BE KILLED FOR YOUR NUKE <c

Kidding. Try as hard as you can to find a lobby with bad players. I got my first nuke in a Ground War game on Scrapyard. Spawn kill them and you should be good.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I fully intend to make a newbie guide... but I had an idea for a different one... controversial, I know...

Big Boss O D I N's guide to the Shank and Gank.

So... you wanna bring a knife to a gun fight? Good for you. While this kind of remark may get you a lot of flak from your friends (and more your enemies), the 'Shank'n'ganker' is one of the more fun classes I enjoy running. A few things to keep in mind before attempting a 'knife' class.

1) You're gonna die. A LOT. This build is not for the K/D sensitive. More often than not, you will go 5-15 ish. Some games you'll go 12-7. But you need to understand, that YOU WILL DIE. Most people who play online now know how to counter a knife class. Shotguns and snipers will be your worst enemies.

2) Remember you have a gun... Seriously. While running up to a guy and stabbing them in the face can be satisfying, don't make the mistake of rushing a guy down a hallway if he sees you first. See #1. You'll die. Learn to fall back around corners, and either wait for your target, recover, or run away.

3) Get your tac knife! This is easily the most important part of a knife class. While you can still run'n'knife without a tac knife, the tac knife increases the speed of your melee attack by at least double the speed (the speed between your stab and retraction is reduced).

With those simple reminders out of the way, let's get started...

Section 1: Your setup is key.

Running a knife class is literally built around your setup. The best example is the default class "First Recon". This is a prime example for a knife setup. The gear/perks are setup as follows:

Main: UMP 45 (holo)
Secondary: Magnum w/Tac Knife
Perks:
Marathon
Lightweight
Ninja

The SMG is one of your best options (I'll discuss that more later) because it increases base run speed compared to other main weapons. The sight/attachments on the main don't matter so much. Your secondary is a handgun with a tac knife, which I also discussed earlier. I'll discuss your EQ options in another section, but keep your options open.

Now the perks are where your class will shine. Marathon is a MUST. With this, you will never have to worry about running out of 'sprint'. You just keep running. Combine this with the next best 'red perk' for a knife class, Lightweight, and you'll be zooming around the map like crazy. While a recent patch has lowered the run speed increase of Lightweight, it's still a useful perk to have on. Your 'green perk' on the default setup is Ninja. While not bad when combined with Cold-blooded (more on that later), this won't maximize your killing potential. The perk you REALLY want is Commando. Commando increases your knife/lunge distance, and the pro version allows you to fall from great heights without taking damage.

So now that you have an idea of what to run with, let's look at all of your options.

Section 2: The Armory. Knowing your gear.

We've discussed the default class, but now you're level 5. Let's make our own!

The best choice for your main weapons would be either a SMG or a Sniper rifle. Advantages of the SMG were discussed (increased run speed), but why the Sniper rifle?

The sniper rifles will do two things for you. One, when using a sniper rifle, your run speed isn't much different from carrying that of an SMG. Two, you can be wearing a ghillie suit (provided you've completed the challenges for the particular areas). My recommendation would be to only use a Sniper rifle setup if you intend to run a stealth knife class. But let's look at some other things first.

Here is a great set up you can run right away at level 5...

Main: UMP/MP5k (I prefer the Ump)
Secondary: USP .45 (It takes a while to get your knife, but this is the first handgun you get)
EQ: Frag/Semtex (Your preference. I prefer Semtex for lollystix and shorter fuse)
Spec grenade: Smoke/Flash/Stun (Again, your preference. Smoke is good for distractions, but not much else)
Perks:
Marathon
Lightweight
Commando

This can be made right when you unlock custom classes. You'll wanna get your pistol kills up though, so get to it. I recommend hardcore, as the increased bullet damage helps with pistol kills. The USP .45 has some of the best range amongst the pistols, so use it!

Once you get farther along in your CoD career, you'll get more perks. Here's a lovely stealth knife setup...

Main: Barret Silenced (As I said, this is built for stealth)
Secondary: handgun w/Tac Knife (the idea isn't to shoot with this unless you have to)
EQ: Claymore/Throwing Knife/Semtex (Semtex doesn't make for silent kills, but if you need boom...)
Spec grenade: Smoke (I've used smoke for diversions, but flash will help you flee provided you don't blind yourself...)

Perks:
Marathon (keep moving!)
Cold Blooded (You don't show up on radar, and pro version makes you invisible to crosshairs)
Ninja/Commando (Ninja makes you not show up on hearbeat, and pro gives you invisible foot steps)

The idea of this stealth build is to be quiet (duh), but your goal isn't to get a lot of kills. Your goal is to survive. You're a ghost. You wait for your prey to come to you, mpre than you seeking them out. We used the Barret for this build for the extra stopping power with a silencer, and the semi-auto capabilities. The best Steath rifle in my opinion is the M21. Little to no recoil, and nice semi-auto, BUT it's unlocked at level 56, and has less killing power than the other rifles. But if you play hardcore, that won't matter.

I've seen some people run a knife class with a Riot shield, but I can't recommend this. It slows you down more than it could be helpful.

I'll go through some other recommendations later.

Section 3: Knowing your workplace

The world is your arena. But also, when do you run a knife setup? When do you run a stealth setup? When should you say "eff this, I need to shoot more!"?

The urban environment (Skidrow, Invasion, Terminal, ... :shudder: Karachi..., and Highrise) are best for your run of the mill Shank and Gank (Marathon+Lightweight+Commando w/SMG). You're not gonna be able to stealth very well on these type of maps due to the lack of concealing cover (at least with the urban ghillie suit). You wanna be on the move more than camping here, as the arena is smaller, and isn't suited for your rifles. You'll see people sniping on these maps, but they're usually in easily accessible locations.

The Desert/Woodland/Outdoors (Estate, Rundown, Afghan, Underpass, and Wasteland) are all a little bigger, if not the biggest maps. You should either run stealth or no knife setup at all. Since these maps are larger, the general idea going through your enemies mind should be, "This map is huge. I don't wanna run out there and get shot by campers, so I'm gonna camp". While I'm not saying to camp, I'm saying to be careful. Maps like Afghan and Wasteland are dangerous for knifers because of the huge areas on the map, leaving you as a big target in a field with little to no cover.

Know your gametypes too. The stealth setup works great for games like Search and Destroy, where the standard knifer setup is great for demolition, capture the flag, and even domination.

Section 4: Get the bad out

I'll discuss what weapons and perks aren't good for your knife setup.

Weapons:

Assualt rifles: They'll slow you down in the long run. Not as much as a LMG, but you'll be slower than someone running with an SMG or Sniper rifle. The ARs have more kick to them than the SMGs, but I wouldn't recommend them.

Light Machine Guns: ... You'll be slower than slow. Just don't.

Secondary: Unless you're using a handgun with a tac knife, you shouldn't bother with any other secondary. While these guns are great, they're not optimizing your killing potential with the knife. Also, avoid the Desert Eagle. Horrible recoil, slow RoF. Just terrible...

EQ: Avoid the Blast Shield. That's it really. All the other EQ at least has a use for a knife setup, but the Blast shield is going to hinder your vision, and drop your radar.

Perks:

BLUES:

You should really stick with Marathon. Sleight of Hand can prove useful for a run and gunner, but not so much for a stabber. One Man Army cuts your secondary weapon. Scavenger is okay for a stealth setup if you run claymores (handy that is), but Marathon was built for the long haul.

REDS:

Stick with either Lightweight, Cold-Blooded, or maybe Hardline (depending on your killstreaks). The other reds aren't helpful to you. Danger Close? Unless your knife explodes on impact... Stopping Power? Well, maybe if you're building up pistol kills. But you have hardcore for that, and don't waste SP in there.

GREENS:

This is really your call. There are some here that make total sense as towards why to use and equally not. Commando is your best bet, followed by Ninja for stealth. Scrambler has it's benefits and problems (if you're on core, you scramble their radar and they'll know you're coming. But Scramble PRO delays claymores, your worst enemy). Sit rep is handy to see those pesky Claymores. Not much else. Last Stand is a waste, but Final Stand as a Deathstreak is good. Speaking of that...

DEATHSTREAK:

Copycat could be used if you're sniped and you wanna snipe back without backing up, or someone is running around killing you with those still annoying 1887s... >_> Painkiller is handy for small maps, as you'll usually spawn into battle. Not great for larger battles. Martyrdom is great if you get in close and die, but dangerous for Hardcore players. Final Stand is great for a couple of reasons. One, you still can use EQ and your main weapon in FS rather than Last Stand. Two, you'll stand back up if you survive. Handy if you spawned and was sniped from across the map, gives you a chance to get out of the way.

And finally...

KILLSTREAKS

This is where it gets tricky. ONLYUSEmeBLADE (http://www.youtube.com/user/onlyusemeblade?blend=1&ob=4) is a user of obviously, only his knife. His Setup is...

UAV
Counter-UAV
Emergency Airdrop

He doesn't use the Emergency Airdrop for himself, he tends to share. The UAVs are beneficial to him and his team, so that's what gets my vote. However, if you run, knife, and don't mind gunning, this is what I use (for preference)...

UAV
Care-Package
Any Streak under 9 (Harriers are pretty slick)

The thing to keep in mind is you're gonna die a lot. So your killstreaks should be beneficial to your lifespan. This class isn't built for Nukes.

This just about wraps up what you need to know about knifing. It can be a fun alternative to the usual campfest that is Modern Campfare... Warfare 2. In another guide, I'll talk about the different ways to counter a knifer.

Thanks for reading. Stay Frosty.

~Big Boss O D I N

Top Bottom