• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I have been corrected many times for saying hitlag when supposedly I meant hitstop.

I was under the impression that hitstop is when you get hit by a move and its the time in which you do all your smash DIing.

where as hit lag was when you were flying and coudnt move such as fox getting hit from a stomp. On his way down I though that was hitlag, but not hitstop.

Thats why I used the phrase I believe instead of being more confident about teching during hitlag.

I was only saying its harder to tech moves with higher hitstop(if there is a diff in terms) by hitting the button b4 hand as if you were instateching because the window is smaller because you are paused from the hitstop in which you cant tech until it has ended and you have started the hitstun phase in which DI is limited to normal.

I may be confused so please correct me if Im wrong.

Magus420

Smash Master
It'd be until your hitlag would be over. But yeah, in the end you'd begin moving out of a SDI tech and an ASDI tech at the same time.

L and R share the same timer.

It's not 20 frames then 40 frames after those 20. These two windows begin at the same time. The number 40 simply comes from the time you need to wait between two L/R presses. You can press it, then 40 later press it again and it would look like this:

(L/R pressed)
20 Tech
20 No tech
(L/R pressed)
20 Tech
20 No Tech

If you press L/R again before 40 has passed from the last time you pressed it, you begin a new 40 window of not being able to press L/R again to tech, and if you were within the techable window of the previous press when you do this you'll instead flub them.

So if you were to press L/R, and then 15 later press L/R again it'd look like this:

(L/R pressed)
15 Tech
(L/R pressed)
40 No Tech

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
ahh, right that makes more sense in that case of it being press L/R and then 40 from when it was pressed. so you could actually twice in a second then.

and I wont be mashing L/R together lol.

So If I hit R and then 6frames later I get hit with a charge shot(full). I can still tech that as long as I can smash DI into the ground/wall within 14 frames because I will go into the tech animation, but I wont tech until the hitstop is over?

as opposed to

I dont tech because the 20 frame window ran out because of the 6+16 frames from the hitstop I cannot tech during and I still have to wait 18 to push L/R again.

Magus420

Smash Master
So If I hit R and then 6frames later I get hit with a charge shot(full). I can still tech that as long as I can smash DI into the ground/wall/ceiling within 14 frames because I will go into the tech animation, but I wont tech until the hitstop is over?
You can't SDI into floor surfaces to cause a collision. You can only ASDI into floors.

Yes, you can tech if you SDI within those 14 frames. You still tech during hitlag (hitstop as you call it), just that you don't begin moving from the tech until after hitlag is over. You just stick to the wall until then.

The hitlag on the attack is 10 frames. I SDI'd into the stage on the 6th and switch to the tech animation (notice how Marth still is not moving yet when I switch animations). I'm still frozen at the start of the tech animation though until the hitlag ends. I had pressed L/R within the previous 20 frames of performing that SDI.

as opposed to

I dont tech because the 20 frame window ran out because of the 6+16 frames from the hitstop I cannot tech during and I still have to wait 18 to push L/R again.
Only using ASDI to get the tech is what's limited by how long the hitlag (hitstop) is, since ASDI happens after hitlag is complete, while you can SDI at any point in hitlag to cause a tech.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
ahhh, ok. So that would be a problem in the first scenario because you must wait for ASDI to tech, but not the same **** on a wall/ceiling.

****ing magus-forum father.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
wowowowowowowow magus ****ing delivars again
that's so sick I didn't know you just sat there until hitlag is done

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
So... what computer level has the most unpredictable tech roll? (ie. after a tap reset from a throw, since they never tech the throw)

I ask because it's kind of hard to practice tech chasing if you have no one to play against.

Oh and is it possible to hit spacies with a rising upair? I've done it once or twice but I think it's because they JUST started to jump.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Try to make them do a certain thing and you will realize they all tech based on what you do.

half the time they miss techs, and they are always predictable at every level.

Find somebody to help you practice or get good in game real fast.

you can hit anyone with a rising upair

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
From my experiences, typically you hit with rising uairs either by doing them extremely fast AKA the way I can't do it, or doing it a little ways away from the enemy. I do the latter, although I hardly do it as an approach in the first place and I should start doing it more.

Sliq

Smash Master
oh yeah i forgot they put sliq in, which was ******** because he doesnt post anything anywhere or care at all about the rules. he said the same thing when they asked for him

mow is foolish, whatever
Yeah, I used to care a lot more about this stuff, but I've recently had my time invested in other things, which may or may not be more worthwhile.

tubes

Smash Ace
I'm convinced rising uair is actually a much better approach than nair if you can make it auto-cancel consistently. It's insanely hard to get consistently without sacrificing control over your character (using the C-stick instead of up and A) that nair is more practical.

Anyone know if it's possible to hit fox, or a crouching marth, with a rising SH nair, and keep it spaced at the feet? lower shins?

Also, what attribute determines how good a character will be at crouch canceling? I ask because I get crouch cancel countered by spacies and sometimes even Marth and was wondering if I should respond in kind.

Edit to avoid double post: So I just found out you can do a gentleman by pressing A, Z, A. Well I've always known you could do it that way but I never tried it until now. It seems even easier than the hold-release method!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I only knew of two methods:

1. A, A, Z (hold Z for a bit + one of the first two jabs must connect)
2. A, A, A (equally spaced jabs + hold the last A for a bit)

with #2 being considerably more difficult

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I have never had a problem gentlemaning and I do it as regularly as any Falcon player I have ever seen, plus I can do them in place without hitting anyone every time. I have such a hard time with other techniques (nair from ledge) and I just wish everything was as easy as AAA gentleman =[

About SH Nair. The first hit of my Nair never seems to hit spacies...too high. Whats my issue.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
you might be hitting A too fast PEEF (after you jump)

either that or you're pressin it too slow. Also, get your *** over here scrub.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
A A A+Z also works.
a grounded fox is too short for the first hit of the nair hit at the tip of your foot

PEEF!

Smash Hero
HAPPY 21ST BDAY RENEBLADE!

See ya in 15 min.

Thanks for the info Tomacawk. That sucks.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
yeah youll usually be hitting them out of their jumping around, doing their own nair or something if you want to hit with both hits

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I dunno what you could do after 4 dairs. You could probably get a uair combo after it.

and I heard Gutemala is aight. I don't know it myself personally.

Scar

#HarveyDent
someone just PM'd me this

PM said:
Hi.

I'm that kid who played jigglypuff for Rutgers at that Princeton Smash event. You probably don't remember me, but do you think you can point out some of the stuff that I did that was really...bad? It's probably way too late but anything would help, especially since I have two falcons in my pool at pound 4.

Thanks in advance.
guess how i responded

Scar

#HarveyDent
hahaha close

p.s. quote of the day

(9:07:34 PM) g-reg: imagine a marth player
(9:07:39 PM) g-reg: that you grab at 0%
(9:07:45 PM) g-reg: and DIs completely in
(9:07:46 PM) g-reg: the entire time
(9:07:52 PM) g-reg: when you dthrow

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
hahaha close

p.s. quote of the day

(9:07:34 PM) g-reg: imagine a marth player
(9:07:39 PM) g-reg: that you grab at 0%
(9:07:45 PM) g-reg: and DIs completely in
(9:07:46 PM) g-reg: the entire time
(9:07:52 PM) g-reg: when you dthrow
lmao oh man

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
To help with watching youtube videos:
I do this and i suggest everyone else do it as well. If you are watching a youtube match and falcon is playing, I suggest you listen to "Broken Silence" while watching. (SS's "Silence" combo video music) Theres a link to download it in the comments on the video.

it is especially awesome if you're watching falcon dittoes, im watching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s2rLzdZvnU&feature=related

right now and listening.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
:D

Me and thumbs are gonna haveeeeeee soooo much fun. We already decided to do FD/Yoshis only in pools, and im sure we'll play tons of friendlies + the falcon only side tourney.

Top Bottom