• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Because you play scrub Marths apparently.

Granted I haven't fought a Marth at the highest level, but I do believe the difficulty is exaggerated.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Mario's weakness is anybody able to successfully be able to stop him from getting in. What a character needs for this is fast attack speed and a significant range over Mario. Marth falls in this category. I seriously think that this is his 2nd hardest MU. On the other hand, Marth is definitely beatable which gives my opinion that other characters aren't bad making this character mid tier (hint for anybody in charge of making the new tier list).

Matt07

Smash Master
I dunno Hero...

Ganon's been giving Mario some trouble on the Tournament Result's, he's been above him for quite some time, until recently.

Big-Omar

Smash Journeyman
We gotta step it up lmfao. Ima do my best at my tourney on Feb. 20 (if i manage to go). Ima get pissed if I get into the same pool as M2K tho (yes M2K is going too lol im ****ed).

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I dunno Hero...

Ganon's been giving Mario some trouble on the Tournament Result's, he's been above him for quite some time, until recently.
That's just because no one uses Mario, much like how no one uses Pit. Tournament results doesn't reflect the true potential of characters.

It's pretty much what Big-O says. We gotta get our rears in gear.

And also get better at match-ups. Mario's biggest weakness by far is that for any given match-up, there is at least one character that is a better choice to use when applying the same strategies.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
We gotta step it up lmfao. Ima do my best at my tourney on Feb. 20 (if i manage to go). Ima get pissed if I get into the same pool as M2K tho (yes M2K is going too lol im ****ed).
M2K was at my tourney. Fun time. Split with ADHD. Represent Mario though. I know I plan to step it up starting at my next tourney (whenever that is)

Matt07

Smash Master
That's just because no one uses Mario, much like how no one uses Pit. Tournament results doesn't reflect the true potential of characters.

It's pretty much what Big-O says. We gotta get our rears in gear.

And also get better at match-ups. Mario's biggest weakness by far is that for any given match-up, there is at least one character that is a better choice to use when applying the same strategies.
This is so true.

And I think I'm going to head to my first tournament on the 30th! I pretty pumped!

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Mario's biggest weakness by far is that for any given match-up, there is at least one character that is a better choice to use when applying the same strategies.
The basis of how I really get in some good damage is due to one thing that only Mario has in the game. Mario has a projectile that he can follow. Falco's lasers are really good, but they can only be used to keep you away and edgeguard. Mario's projectile moves slowly and that's actually an advantage. You can shoot a fireball and follow it. It's like Mario's giving a command to the fireball saying "make the opponent shield." Once he's shielded you have the time to apply shield pressure or grab him. He can't do anything because of shield stun and you're hitting his shield. What are they gonna do, get hit? This is what I believe to be the basis of Mario. He's like a boxer. Once there's an opening he just keeps hitting. I urge you all to look at Mario's frame data. It's amazing. Bair, Uair, Nair, Dair, Ftilt, Utilt, Dtilt, jab, Dsmash and SJP all come frame 7 or earlier. That's a lot of his moveset. The only attacks of his that comes out later than frame 7 is Usmash (frame 9) Fsmash (frame 15), and Fair (frame 19-22) excluding his special attacks that shouldn't be used in combat. I need a Mario ditto or two with Pierce on so I can show you what I mean.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
That's pretty fascinating stuff, Inferno. I definitely feel like Mario has a lot of untapped potential. I never really thought of him as a boxer, but the analogy makes sense. I still need to work on my combo-ing skills. They're improving, but I still feel like such a rookie...which I guess I am. Bleh. Gotta step it up.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Pikachu and characters with throwable projectiles can do it as well, although I understand what you mean and have thought about it before. It is interesting, especially the relation to a boxer, which I thought of before. He has a very large amount of options at close range, it's just tough to get there without the aid of fireballs.

Edit: Falco can also do the same projectile tricks if he's at close range.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
He's like a boxer. Once there's an opening he just keeps hitting.
I honestly never thought of Mario's moveset like that, but when you think about it, it makes a good amount of sense. Maybe I should start applying this mindset to my tournament play.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I noticed that doing a test jab1 right in front of someone gives Mario a lot of options.

For instance if they spot dodge, the jab goes through their spot dodge and Mario can simply act right after the jab and hit them anyway.

If they shield, I think they can grab Mario if they react fast enough...but really it's one jab, so I expect them to just wait in their shield. I generally am able to grab after the jab although I'm not sure how reliable it is.

If they roll dodge, who cares?

If they stand still they get hit, obviously.

The problem is getting into jab range while standing and the shielding thing working out as you want. Although test jabs work better when someone approaches Mario.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario's throw game is outdated. With this post, I will bring it to quality standards for our current metagame.

The two throws that you should be using most overall are F-throw and U-throw. These throws are your overall best options in terms of damage and positional benefit combined.

Before addressing how to use those throws, let's look at how to use D-throw and B-throw.

D-throw is a good combo starter at low percents, but at mid and high percents, it stops being practical since the knockback becomes too high to easily follow up consistently, and the low damage makes its reward unappetizing. Basically, this throw should only see use at low percents for attempting juggles, and if your opponent happens to be someone with high falling speed like Fox, Falco, Wolf, Snake, Link, D-throwing at 0% is a bad idea since you will be unable to properly initiate a U-air juggle since they won't get sent high enough for it to work.

B-throw in my honest opinion should really be saved for emergency kills. Getting a grab with Mario isn't necessarily hard, and one of the more reliable things he can do thanks to his good Jab cancel. A lot of us use this throw to get people offstage, and it's pretty bad at doing that due to the extent at which it can get DIed, so following up from this throw is difficult at best. Of course, 12% is good if you want to play conservatively, but there are options that offer potentially better reward.

F-throw is incredibly underrated. The advantage you get from this throw is deceptively amazing. There is almost no ending lag to this throw, so at 0%, this throw is in fact a viable combo starter (worth considering against Jigglypuff imo), compounded by the fact that this is Mario's only throw that does not induce a tumble at 0%. Against walls, F-throw from 0% has enough of a frame advantage for you to land WHATEVER YOU WANT (preferably Jab, since you have a Jab wall lock until 70-80% on most characters). Against Fox and Falco (as far as I know), F-throw at 0% legitimately sets up into a regrab (and against Fox, if you really want to, F-throw COMBOS into reverse F-smash), and this is critical to know because the extra 9% you do from F-throw makes your D-throw juggle work better. The other reason to F-throw is because it's a perfect opportunity to get out a fireball. Throwing a fireball at this point puts your opponent in a more disadvantaged position, especially offstage where they will be DIing towards you. If they get hit by the fireball, that alone outdamages B-throw. If they deliberately try to avoid it, you will be in a position to intercept them with a juggle or edgeguard tactic, which does even more damage. F-throw to Fireball in short is a very good tactic that increases your followup and space control options.

U-throw generally speaking is more practical than D-throw once your opponent is pushed past the low percents at which you normally do juggles. Mario is a pretty decent character at executing juggles successfully. Intelligent use of Mario's low lag tools such as D-air and U-air enable some clever ways of landing consecutive hits on an opponent who is above you, and of course, there is the potential to pull off an Up-smash for the kill from reading landings. Against Fox, Falco, Snake, Link, and DDD, you'll want to use this throw anyway for combos at 0%.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Mario's pitiful grab range gets on my nerves sometimes >_>
To restate what Hero said... At least it's not Ganon's...

As for the Marth MU, I'm not saying it's unplayable, but could someone please explain to me how to play it or something, because obviously, I have a radically different view of the MU, and considering who you guys are playing, I must be doing something wrong.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I'm hoping Mario can be mid tier @ least, I don't see any Ike, Bowser, Zelda, and PT players is not reppin' themselves out there. o_O
you'd be surprised, at least for here in nj/ny

and falco can pretty much do the same thing with his lasers, obv one of the best, if not the best projectile in the game, since he can do so much with his lasers too, and control his opponent how ever he feels too, just slightly better manner.

personally, i think mario's potential has already been tapped lol.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I think you're limiting Mario to be quite honest.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I am soooooooo ridiculously close to becoming the next godly Mario player. I just need to actually beat people that matter in tournament...

I'm going to be so amazing once I actually play correctly. I'll need help getting critiques once I actually get the replay hack on my wii...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
That's going to change very soon vato. I don't mean to be mean, but frankly I'm in a prime position to suddenly cause upsets. I'm getting progressively better at applying what I know.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
So here's my Pound 4 Pool.

Pool 17

D0N
God-Is-My-Rock
King Yoshi
KirinBlaze
Shadow_111
Smerfin

Anyone know who Smerfin is? Who does GIMR play, GnW/Peach? I know King Yoshi is Meta Knight, Shadow is Meta Knight. D0N is DK.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
So here's my Pound 4 Pool.

Pool 17

D0N
God-Is-My-Rock
King Yoshi
KirinBlaze
Shadow_111
Smerfin

Anyone know who Smerfin is? Who does GIMR play, GnW/Peach? I know King Yoshi is Meta Knight, Shadow is Meta Knight. D0N is DK.
Careful man I hear that KirinBlaze dude is pretty good.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I Rofl'd

Btw Kirin what's Pound like? Are you using Link & Mario for it?
Of course I am. I'm going to be using Pit as well, I've been working on him for the past month.

I can't say, I wasn't into the Smash Scene when Pound 3 was hosted but from the looks of this thread and the entrants It's going to be bigger then Genesis. The number of Melee entrants have already beaten the number of Genesis Entrants. Melee has 344 total entrants and Brawl has 199 entrants.

Javon89

Smash Ace
Of course I am. I'm going to be using Pit as well, I've been working on him for the past month.

I can't say, I wasn't into the Smash Scene when Pound 3 was hosted but from the looks of this thread and the entrants It's going to be bigger then Genesis. The number of Melee entrants have already beaten the number of Genesis Entrants. Melee has 344 total entrants and Brawl has 199 entrants.
Wow, Melee isn't dying after all. Once school is over I'm getting myself back in the tourney scene for Melee & Brawl events. I hear Melee helps improving your technical skill.

Top Bottom