• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"common knowledge" that a lot of people don't know

X1-12

Smash Champion
if you time it right or stall slightly you can go down the left side of the sudowoodo on pokefloats allthough you will take damage (loop damage?) for being off the screen

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I haven't read the last seven pages but I would just like to share a little fact on how weak Wizard Kick's priority actually is.

If you are a recovering Ganon coming from offstage and see a Falcon opponent jumping out to get you, you can press down+b and activate the incredibly-powerful-looking-magical-flaming-purple kick into his face.

However, if he happens to know his **** and presses dair at the right moment...you're insanely strong kick will get beaten by the top of his knuckles and send you plunging instantly into the depths as though you were but a flailing infant.

This game is very deceptive.

Zone

Smash Champion
That apparently on Peach's Castle,

when you have falcon on the edge the 2nd tier up on the middle steeple. you rapid punch the wall. All the falcons except one specific color'd falcon(Forgot which) will fall off during his rapid punches. One of them will keep rapid punching w/o falling. Funny how a color can make a difference.

keeper

Smash Champion
That apparently on Peach's Castle,

when you have falcon on the edge the 2nd tier up on the middle steeple. you rapid punch the wall. All the falcons except one specific color'd falcon(Forgot which) will fall off during his rapid punches. One of them will keep rapid punching w/o falling. Funny how a color can make a difference.
Green is largest Neutral is smallest. I forget which is the one that makes it so he doesn't fall, but it's one of those two.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
most momentum boosting moves (like Marth's side B, Peach's neutral B, ect) reset only when a character lands in their default landing animation or their "special land fall" animation (like after up Bs or airdodges). This means that if you land while doing an aerial or while tumbling it will not reset. No impact landings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMxgGtMLEfw 0:24) also do not reset your momentum giving move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0np82FnQIqg

The momentum boost is ALWAYS in the same direction that your character is currently traveling (not the direction that you input the move). If your character has no horizontal momentum then the boost will simply act as a stall (though Marth does gain a small amount of vertical height from it. Don't know about the others)

In order for Mario and Doctor Mario to reset their down Bs height boost, they must be "standing" on the stage for at least one frame. This also applies to Link's, Y.Link's, and Samus's grapples.

In order for Luigi to reset his down B, he must use his down B at least one time ON THE STAGE.

Marth can grab the ledge after a ledgehop'd neutral B.

Marth can double jump after a shorthop bair. Ledgehop bair also auto cancels on the stage if timed properly.

Many of Marth's attacks have him extend his hurtbox forward BEFORE his hitbox reaches. The easiest example of this is Marth's f-smash.

Powershielding a shieldbreaker resutls in no shield damage.

Marth's ledgeattack occupies the ledge for much longer than his ledgestand. This is true for many other characters as well.

LedgeJUMPING (pressing jump while holding the ledge) does NOT occupy the ledge.

Marth's dash grab grabs much lower than his standing grab.

When Marth uptilts his hurtbox moves forward. This means that Marth can "dodge" moves by doing a reverse uptilt (really effective against grabs for some reason <_<)

Marth's up B is invincible on frame 5 (which is the same frame that the hitbox comes out).

All itterations of Marth's side B have aerial move priority. This means that the hitboxes will not clank with other hitboxes. Both moves will continue until someone's hurtbox gets hit (just like an aerial!) This is important because it means Marth's side B will NOT stop priojectiles (with the exception of projectiles that have their own hurtboxes)

Roy's side B however, has normal ground move priority on the ground, and air move priority in the air.

Both Marth and Roy's neutral Bs and up Bs have aerial move priority both on the ground and in the air.

@Magus/Phanna/anyone else that has an AR and would be kind enough to test stuff for me. Do any of you know EXACTLY how the invisible ceiling glitch works? Also, Phanna recently showed me a similar glitch involving Marth's counter. He countered an attack to launch the opponent off stage. The next attack that hit him sent him at about a -60 degree angle (he hit him with f-smash). Any idea how this "counter jacket" works?

if you hit luigi out of his wavedash ftilt with usmash out of shield with fox he hits an invisible ceiling. happens with other moves too, just not sure which ones. thats just an example, the shield has no roll in the ceiling glitch, but thats just when it happens to me lol

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
if you hit luigi out of his wavedash ftilt with usmash out of shield with fox he hits an invisible ceiling. happens with other moves too, just not sure which ones. thats just an example, the shield has no roll in the ceiling glitch, but thats just when it happens to me lol
I actually just visitor messaged Dark Sonic this XD was gonna post it :(. I actually played a Luigi in pools at RoM2 and ended up doing it about 4 times in a row, before I realized what was happening and punished out of it.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i keep thinking of great things to add to this thread but by the time i get back on smashboards i forgot

Stevo

Smash Champion
Kirby's Up-throw can combo vs fast fallers if you fast fall to the ground then jump up again quickly. Requires high percent and ****ty DI of course.

I had nothing else to say, but I wanted to subscribe to this thread lol

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
If you get shined on uneven ground (the slants on the edges of Yoshi's / near the center of DK64 /etc) the hitstun is reduced by 2/3
same **** applies if it's done on a stage moving downwards, the reason why you can't drillshine on Corneria
I suppose this info overlaps with lovages' post but Idk the slant stuff is **** if peach does a suprise dsmash
Its not reduced by 2/3. The hitstun disappears completely. Waveshining an opponent down a slant sometimes causes them to bounce a tiny bit. When they land, all the hitstun is cancelled and they can do whatever they want. Lovage's first post describes the very same shine/ground property but in a different situation.

-You can buffer jumps with the cstick

-No matter how close to it they think they are, its impossible for Ganon and Falcon to sweetspot. Their hands ALWAYS go above the edge and they are ALWAYS vulnerable. I'm not sure if up+bing facing away from the ledge and grabbing it in reverse changes anything.

-If you hit an opponent with a dair as Marth/Falco really high on their body (at low percents), You are at a disadvantage, and your opponent recovers from the stun before you are finished lcancelling. This happens frequently with the taller characters. (i.e. Falco dair on Marth) People get grabbed alot because of this.

-When timed properly, Fox/Falco's tipped utilt can beat out Falco's dair clean if its coming from above.

-If you wavedash off of a platform facing either direction as Luigi and fireball , you maintain your momentum and fly across the stage. Usually, when you simply WD off of a platform, you drop and much of your horizontal momentum disappears.

-In many cases, d.i.ing chaingrabs makes them last longer. Fox on Fox with neutral d.i. stops at 55, with left/right d.i. it stops at about 80. Marth's on Fox/Falco stops at about 20%, with d.i. it lasts a bit past 50%.

keeper

Smash Champion
Doing Sheik's Vanish on stage and then holding down, no matter which way you were facing before, will end with you facing right.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
The hitstun disappears completely.
Most characters will receive 9-11 frames of lag compared to the 33-35 frames you would take while grounded.

I'm not sure if up+bing facing away from the ledge and grabbing it in reverse changes anything.
Nope, it just makes it easier to ledge-tech.

Aerials don't have priority.

Ceiling glitch comes from having your attacked blocked and being hit out of it.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You know, now that I think about it...

Marth's side B interacts with things even less than aerials Q_Q. Marth's side B DOES NOT interact with Samus's missles or charge shot (or Mewtwo's). Pretty gay <_<

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
When mewtwo confuses a projectile it is still considered property of the one who shot it.

In teams, anyone can get hit except the person who shot it. It will pass right tru him as if team attack was off.

Lovage

Smash Hero
with fox and falco's up+b, the reason people turn around sometimes for no reason is because they passed a wall. if you touch a wall (like the lip of FD) while up+b'ing straight up, you will end up turned around the other way, this can be fatal if you aren't paying attention and don't fastfall to grab the edge or float onto the stage in time.

lots of recovery moves have way less lag if you do them way up in the air and fall to the ground. sheik's vanish for instance has a lot of lag if you aim it towards the ground, but if you jump in the air and vanish straight up, you'll have almost no lag when you hit the ground.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
M2 pichu zelda and pikachu have the same up B rules as far as lag goes. amount of lag is different I believe.
pichu and pikachu have less lag if they upb and end in the air and more if they land on the ground

zelda is the opposite (more lag if she lands in the air, less on the ground)

mewtwo's upb animation ends 12 frames earlier if the upb ends in the air.

mew2king can count frames irl
first time i met him, he used doc and camped my marth a little bit. I was trying to make my way through the pills, but being the scrub i was i was fsmashing them all. After losing another stock (we were on infinite time) i asked which of marth's ground moves were fastest. He took my controller and did jab ftilt utilt and fsmash and told me how many frames they were each (4, 7, 7 and 10 respectively)

edit- LMAO M2K SUXXXXXX UTILT IS 6TH FRAME!!!!! WHAT A NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB!!!!!!

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
-Mario can walljump even after he uses his up+B.

-Mewtwo's Confusion attack scoops opponents through Battlefield's base platform.

-If Marth lands a tipper on an opponent's shield, he is almost completely safe from retaliation. The shield stun the tipper delivers keeps the opponent locked in place and unable to WD oos, unlike the sourspot tipper.

-If you CC Roy's aerials/tilts, you defeat him as a character. Fsmash is literally the ONLY move, besides possibly dsmash, that has enough knockback to crush CCing. Everything from all of his aerials, fowardB combos, and even usmash can be countered with it.

-Doc's cape is wider than Mario's and goes below the edge. This distinction allows Doc to land a cape edge-guard on a sweetspotting Marth. Mario is unable to do this.

when i said crouch cancel shielding stops more momentum, i was wrong. the shield only stops all momentum if done during the dash animation, the shield after ccing does make it a lot easier to grab though. sorry for the misinformation.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
You can grab in a crouching position if you jump cancel grab. Not sure about this one but i think sheik gains altitude if you charge a needle in the air and cancel it(hit l or r). I swear i saw that some where. Oh when sheik or zelda transform during mid game play she completely leaves the game making her unable to be hurt for a time. I don't know the exact frame though .

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
when i said crouch cancel shielding stops more momentum, i was wrong. the shield only stops all momentum if done during the dash animation, the shield after ccing does make it a lot easier to grab though. sorry for the misinformation.
you should call it dash cancelling since ccing is the act of crouching to reduce knockback [/semantics]
i'd rather jc a grab than shield grab after a dash cancel

also, a lot of this stuff is most definitely not common knowledge.... lol

you should call it dash cancelling since ccing is the act of crouching to reduce knockback [/semantics]
i'd rather jc a grab than shield grab after a dash cancel

also, a lot of this stuff is most definitely not common knowledge.... lol
Youre not canceling a dash though sotheres no reason to call it that, youre jjst crouch canceling and shieldingso its easier to grab faster. jc grab is slower and you can get hit again before you get one off. i dont know where you got dash canceling from, im not talking about that. i was just saying a shield cancels all momentum from dash, not full run.

also, theres already something called dash canceling, canceling your dash by pressing down enabling you to do smash, change direction, etc.

Top Bottom