• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Ban completely or ban nothing"

Prawn

Smash Master
Wtf does this mean?

Seriously, every time someone has a suggestion to "nerf" mk even the slightest they claim that nerfing anything proves his broken-ness and that he should be flat out banned.

Which makes zero sense.

Allowing people to only CP neutrals if they are MK, and/or allowing the player to have no bans for CPs if they choose to play as MK are GOOD IDEAS.

What forces us to ban him outright?

In fact shouldn't we do everything in our power to not ban him outright?

Stop saying this, until you back it up with something other than "this is the truth cause I said it" it doesn't make any sense.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Limiting Metaknight is the same as complying that Metaknight is a broken (or cheap) character, and thus is a problem. You aren't changing anything except causing unfair disadvantages to the players that use Metaknight.

OS' Surgical vs Global changes tackles this nicely.

Flayl

Smash Hero
If you want to "surgically" change MK for him to be balanced, then you should do the same for every other character.

I'm surprised you didn't think of that before making the thread.

Prawn

Smash Master
its a Brawl forum, MK is a main topic in Brawl, thus threads.

Also, OS, I agree with a lot of what you said in the two posts you made, but "surgical" changes like limiting ledgegrabs/things in gameplay are different IMO.

maybe its just me though

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I know, I know, I have no way to prove this, but if MK is just flat-out banned, brawl will be majorly hurt.

More diversity? Less angered players? Less stalling? Maybe.

Less competitve respect, thus competitive following? Definitely. Banning a character that is in the same roster set as everyone else makes the game look too unbalanced. Don't "lawl Akuma" this, as we all know he doesn't fit with the above statement.

If MK must be limited, do it, but you must limit him before banning him. Banning should always be the last case scenario. OP knows what he is talking about.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I know, I know, I have no way to prove this, but if MK is just flat-out banned, brawl will be majorly hurt.

More diversity? Less angered players? Less stalling? Maybe.

Less competitve respect, thus competitive following? Definitely. Banning a character that is in the same roster set as everyone else makes the game look too unbalanced. Don't "lawl Akuma" this, as we all know he doesn't fit with the above statement.

If MK must be limited, do it, but you must limit him before banning him. Banning should always be the last case scenario. OP knows what he is talking about.
If you must limit a character it implies that he is hurting the metagame and thus should be banned anyway.
-.-
OP is wrong.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
if meta-knight gets banned the next thing ppl r going to say is ban snake
A lot of people say snake isn't the second best in the game (diddy and falco are both arguably better), along with the fact that characters like ddd and olimar soft counter snake. Very few say meta isn't the best, and he has no bad matchups.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I've always thought about nerfing him, but I'm not too big of a debater in the ban mk debate (but i am anti-ban) so every time I looked at the argument all I saw was tournament results, dumb points being brought in (we have to ban snake next, mk is the best planker, etc.) so I never saw if a "nerf mk" thing was ever brought in. I think not giving him those stage options are a bit too far, as I personally don't think he should be banned in the first place, but I always thought that maybe something like port choice always goes to the non mk, or the non mk gets to choose if he wishes to strike a stage first or the mk etc.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
if meta-knight gets banned the next thing ppl r going to say is ban snake
My My, look at all this metaknight ban drama
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
the domino theory has no support/proof it aint gunna happen theres a reason people wanted mk banned and i believe it was legitimate

Chaos is right, lets say MK does get banned.....people that don't play or don't like Diddy, Snake, Falco etc. (not me) will start saying that "Snake broken" or "Diddy's broken" blah blah blah.....and that "those characters will too many tournaments".
Just think about; and quit the ****ing whining about MK. Everyone that still wants MK banned believe me I was like "you guys" once. But certain people and their posts under the "Why MK should NOT be banned" thread CHANGED my mind. I main ROB, don't you think I want MK banned.
NO! Because, well because of multiple reasons. GO read the "Why MK should NOT be banned" thread.
MK stays!!!
MK stays!!!
I may not like it, but that's that.
:mad:

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
If you apply specific restrictions to MK , other than very narrow moveset-oriented changes then you are admitting he is broken. So if MK is broken, why isn't he banned?

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
If you apply specific restrictions to MK , other than very narrow moveset-oriented changes then you are admitting he is broken. So if MK is broken, why isn't he banned?
and quit the ****ing whining about MK.

:mad:
wow, you really want MK gone don't you?

I'm not saying he need restrictions. Personally, even though I hate MK with all my guts, I don't think he need to be banned. Also, I'm not sayin that because I play him or anyhitng. Because I don't play MK.

And stop doing that ^ (in red)

Black Marf

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't the last SBR poll supposed to be the "Final vote?"

MK isn't getting banned, and I doubt he'll be limited either.
This is the most hilarious part about this debate flame war. It is highly unlikely that anything is going to change. The Anti-banners "won" the last poll, so there isn't a strong feeling for a necessary change.

Basically, the Anti-banners are scrooging it up beneath Smashboardsville with their stock lead, while the Pro-banners are saying "what the **** is this ****, I should just go play SF4." Or whatever the real fighting gamer kool kids play now.

BSP

Smash Legend
I say we make a master MK thread or something...too many topics popping up :/

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Chaos is right, lets say MK does get banned.....people that don't play or don't like Diddy, Snake, Falco etc. (not me) will start saying that "Snake broken" or "Diddy's broken" blah blah blah.....and that "those characters will too many tournaments".

Just think about; and quit the ****ing whining about MK.
*thinks about* (it?)

Everyone that still wants MK banned believe me I was like "you guys" once. But certain people and their posts under the "Why MK should NOT be banned" thread CHANGED my mind. I main ROB, don't you think I want MK banned.
NO! Because, well because of multiple reasons. GO read the "Why MK should NOT be banned" thread.
Ah yes, I remember this.

Of course it's great for elite players. Elite players are the ones that matter. They have put their time and dedication into the game so they could become better. Probably one of the biggest chunks ADHD and Ally have put in, is their remarkable ability to beat MK. Obviously, that means that you have to put time and effort into beating him.

You're basically crying casual. Instead of learning how to beat wave dashing, l-canceling and the like, you cry and say it should be removed. Sakurai removed them from the game, dumbing it down. You cry about MK being too good, saying he should be removed.

He's an integral part of the game. You're not good enough to realize that.
NM changed my mind again. I believe that ^.
MK shouldn't be banned. As much as I don't like it it's true. :ohwell:
So the reason you're romping all over the boards posting this face melting jargon is that you were convinced by some random PT main who is barely involved in the tourney scene (as far as I can tell going to one tournament this year), sucks at this game (got last at said tournament), and likes to make ridiculous analogies.

COOL BEANS

Well, to be fair his post isn't completely atrocious like some of the ones in this debate... take yours for instance!!!

Anyways, let's take a looksie....
Elite players are the ones that matter.
This is simply incorrect. It is not reality. The elite are elite because, when compared to other smashers, they are set apart from the vast majority by their superior skill at the game. By definition the elite are very few in number. If you take away the elite players what happens? Well.... not much. People still play. New players rise above the chaff and are deemed "elite".
Now what happens when everyone BUT the elite are removed? Well.... this is problematic.... THERE'S NO ONE LEFT TO PLAY THE GAME. The Brawl tournament community dies right then and there.

To summarize: strictly speaking the elite really DON'T matter to the community. There will always BE elite due to most people's goal of "being the best"/"playing to win", but they aren't and never will be the cornerstone of this community.

....Maybe Maniclysane was trying to say something different with that statement.... but oh well! I'm not clairvoyant!

They have put their time and dedication into the game so they could become better. Probably one of the biggest chunks ADHD and Ally have put in, is their remarkable ability to beat MK. Obviously, that means that you have to put time and effort into beating him.
I'll break this down into three parts:
They [the elite] have put their time and dedication into the game so they could become better.
So only the elite have put time and dedication into the game in order to become better? Once again perhaps his wording is off... but this statement is not only a stupid, simple minded assumption; it is also a slap in the face to everyone who HAS put hard work into getting better and HAS NOT joined the ranks of the "elite". It sounds like he's saying that anyone can become "elite" if they put an equal amount of work as the current elite have into it, which in turn means that everyone who is not among the elite is simply lazy*. ....I'm sorry, but there isn't a universal linear relationship between "amount of work" and "ability to win a tournament".

*This statement is ADHD approved

Probably one of the biggest chunks ADHD and Ally have put in, is their remarkable ability to beat MK.
Hmmmmmm.... Let me re-phrase this so it's actually readable:
"Most likely ADHD and Ally have spent a large percentage of their time practicing the MK matchup, resulting in their ability to beat him."

my reaction: "no ****"

But really now, LISTEN UP EVERY SINGLE NON-MK MAIN WHO IS NOT ADHD OR ALLY. YOU AREN'T BEATING TOP MK PLAYERS BECAUSE YOU AREN'T PUTTING ENOUGH TIME INTO THE MATCHUP. MAN UP DAMMIT.

Obviously, that means that you have to put time and effort into beating him.
Once again, the "you aren't beating MK because you are a lazy ***** who isn't trying hard enough". I love me some assumptions!

This also skirts on another topic briefly discussed in the "Why MK should NOT be banned" thread: the one of human potentiality. Maniclysane here states that to be (one of the few) elite, and thus be able to beat MK by his reasoning, all that is required is hard work. Nothing more! Anyone can do it if they try hard enough!!!!!!

Look, if I try hard enough will I EVER beat Usain Bolt in the 100 meter sprint?

HEEEEEEELL NO

Uhg, look I'm really not going to get into this. If you ascribe to the idea that "you can be the best at anything with enough effort*" then be warned: life has a way of crushing the reality of your human limitations into you :p.

*(I will however point out how this falls apart when you realize there are many others aiming to be the best..... but there can be only one "best". Oops. [for a more modest example replace "best" with "elite" and "one" with "few"])
You're basically crying casual. Instead of learning how to beat wave dashing, l-canceling and the like, you cry and say it should be removed. Sakurai removed them from the game, dumbing it down. You cry about MK being too good, saying he should be removed.
Ok. I am REALLY TEMPTED to post that gif again. He's merely trying to sound good/convincing by hiding behind a fancy analogy..... which is bit of a pet-peeve of mine. Look, analogies are best used to supplement a point in order to promote a more thorough understanding. Using an analogy AS YOUR POINT is NOT A GOOD IDEA (unless you wish to say nothing and make it sound convincing at the same time. Then it's great!!!!)

Anyways, let's translate: "Instead of learning how to beat wave dashing, l-canceling and the like, you cry and say it should be removed. Sakurai removed them from the game, dumbing it down. You cry about MK being too good, saying he should be removed."

remove the completely unrelated statement:

"Instead of learning how to beat wave dashing, l-canceling and the like, you cry and say it should be removed. You cry about MK being too good, saying he should be removed."

to:

"To cry about the melee advanced techs and ask for their removal is to cry about metaknight and ask for his removal."

Whoa there! Crying about the melee advanced techs and wanting them banned is pretty ridiculous right?? I mean, sure you'll have some off nutter every now and again saying such things.... but everyone can agree that he's either reaaaally stupid or is incredibly ignorant (and furthermore arrogant) right?? Because of this fact it's never been a major community issue!

Now let's compare this to the whole ban MK debacle..... oh...... wait a second. I'm seeing some stark differences here. Unlike the imaginary issue of people wanting to ban melee AT's the ban MK issue IS A REAL ISSUE. There have been THREE separate major threads regarding the issue... with the last thread alone clocking in at 7549 posts.. Add in the other major threads and the innumerable minor threads regarding the issue and you can conclude that this is clearly a huge, pervasive, community-encompassing affair.

Whew... anyways so he's comparing the current controversy around metaknight to the non-existent controversy of wanting to ban melee ATs.... something which is undeniably silly.

ban melee ATs

undeniably silly

And there, we see the truth of this analogy. Look at it again:

"To cry about the melee advanced techs and ask for their removal is to cry about metaknight and ask for his removal."

This analogy doesn't say anything! Its only purpose is to make those who want MK banned look silly. That's it. "Well gee, banning Melee ATs would be completely ridiculous! Laughable even! And lookie here.... doing such such a thing is analogous to banning Metaknight!! Wow wanting to ban metaknight suuuuure is absurd! yerp derp".

tl;dr: all this analogy says is that wanting to ban MK is as laughably stupid as wanting to ban melee ATs. This is a mind-blowingly dense statement, as the two given situations are completely incomparable.

Ok! Done with that :p. To continue with my post:

He's an integral part of the game. You're not good enough to realize that.
The last tournament I went I got dead last in.
LOL

So yeah. His post sounds good and all, but once you get past the fluff (confusing sensationalist wording) its actual content is.... poorly thought out. At best it just doesn't say anything at all. I really get the impression that it's written by someone woefully inexperienced in the tournament scene (and whaddya know, I'm right!). In other words a classic case of "the less you know the less you realize you know nothing." Anyways the post is far and away nothing special enough to radically change your views on this huge community issue. Unless you're a bit of a dunce yourself.

Oh wow I'm so sorry

(In all truthfulness I attribute this to mere ignorance on your part :p. Of which there is nothing wrong with! Every human is ignorant in every subject to some degree... it's simply a result of us not being omniscient beings. Ignorance only becomes a problem when it is confronted and nothing is done about it.)

A few months ago I went to a tournament in San Diego while I was visiting my relatives (Everyone at Chula Vista were really awesome :D) and before the tournament started the only character I could use well at all was Metaknight. My spacing was off too, and I relied realllly heavily on dsmash, almost the whole time. Almost all of my kills were shuttle loop kills. Even while using MK I was hesitant to leave the stage.
A bit uncouth and off-topic, but I found this to be a bit ironic.

MK doesn't need to be banned. Stop whining like little *****es, I hate MK either more or just as much y'all, but I understand why he needs to stay un-banned.
You seem to be enjoying your newfound stance. ...You know I guess it makes sense that the reasons you give for not banning MK amount to "HE DOESN'T NEED TO BE BANNED WHINERS", when you consider the source of your view (the dissected post above).

...o wait did you really just say that ALL pro-ban individuals are whiny little *****e-OH GOD NOT AGAIN

6Mizu said:
and quit the ****ing whining about MK.
And stop doing that ^ (in red)
Or YOU could stop whining about people discussing whining about MK. please? I don't think my face can take much more :[[[[

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Dear lord I haven't seen such online ownage in years.

My translation of hotgarbage's post to you pretentious handful: GGs.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
hotgarbage is my new hero, sorry bobson. *steals that melting face* I'm still laffing. and crying. this is real emotional turmoil, who cares about MK I want more hotgarbage!

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I haven't even read it and I cosign with every single statement made in Hot's post. Regardless of ban stance.

lol again

theunabletable

Smash Lord
If you want to "surgically" change MK for him to be balanced, then you should do the same for every other character.
Imo a double standard is better than banning MK outright.
I don't think he is broken and should be banned.

But if the community/SBR decides he should be banned, why ban him if an easy to enforce restriction would make him balanced/not broken?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Imo a double standard is better than banning MK outright. I don't think he is broken and should be banned.
That's a personal preference that can't really be swayed.

But if the community/SBR decides he should be banned, why ban him if an easy to enforce restriction would make him balanced/not broken?
There are no easy to enforce restrictions that aren't surgical changes. All potential restrictions we've found have either affected other characters or been pointless because MK finds a way around them. When there was a ledge grab limit, that's when scrooging was invented.

With the mobility of MK, it is infinitely more likely that we'll have trouble trying to contain him than we would simply banning him.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Because there is no easy to enforce restriction.
MK can only CP neutrals is pretty easy to enforce. The MK says "I'm going to rainbow cruise" you say "that's against the rules" bam rule enforced
There are no easy to enforce restrictions that aren't surgical changes.
I don't see exactly what's automatically wrong with a surgical change.

If MK is to be banned but making him only able to CP neutrals would balance him then doing so wouldn't **** up the community so hard.

It's just unnecesary to outright ban MK if making him only able to CP neutrals would stop him from being bannable, along with being easy to enforce.

It's unfair for MK. Why can't he counterpick stages like everyone else can? Just because he does good in them?

C.J.

Smash Master
Not to mention he is good enough on any other character's CP against them that limiting him to neutrals doesn't really solve the problem at all. All of his "gay" tactics, planking, scrooging, air camping, and the such can easily be done on all neutrals as well as any CP the meta player might choose.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
It's unfair for MK. Why can't he counterpick stages like everyone else can? Just because he does good in them?
You know what's more unfair for MK? BEING UNABLE TO PLAY

I mean if it ever comes down to it, it's just ******** to completely ban MK because it's unfair for him to only be able to CP neutrals
Not to mention he is good enough on any other character's CP against them that limiting him to neutrals doesn't really solve the problem at all. All of his "gay" tactics, planking, scrooging, air camping, and the such can easily be done on all neutrals as well as any CP the meta player might choose.
Lots of characters can plank well. Most tourneys have ledge grab limits lately anyways.

Can't he really only do it well on Smashville? If-so just ban SV on his CP (since he can only do neutrals).

Wario can air camp really hard, too, you know.

etecoon

Smash Hero
You know what's more unfair for MK? BEING UNABLE TO PLAY
no it isn't. you start playing another character and move on. if MK gets banned so be it, but I don't want to be handicapped with silly superfluous rules like "you can only CP neutrals" because everyone thinks he's too good but doesn't want to just man up and ban him. allowing him to play but gimped like that doesn't really help anyone, people who hate playing him still have to deal with him

Top Bottom