• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I had a dream last night where I was getting married or something (I was in a church at least), and HugS was the priest. Just wanted to post that somewhere before I fall asleep tonight and forget.

Pi

Smash Hero
approach with missiles
mess up his spacing
ftilts
nair OoS if he fairs to early
melee is too fast to react to an approach vs a dash dance so you can pretty much play a guessing game with him

xbombr

Smash Ace
Well timed dash attack is my favorite.

You should also try firing a standing missile after a MC instead of approaching sometimes. You can work in some mindgames and make it less predictable when you approach. Also they'll have to shield the second missile if you do it right, which means they'll either eat a missile or be grounded for a bit.

Constantly WD back. Waveland -> Ftilt is useful too, I've found.

Pi

Smash Hero
i think they can jab both missiles, but a lot of marths don't like to jab them, which is the best option tbh, cause you can punish ftilted missiles

xbombr

Smash Ace
i think they can jab both missiles, but a lot of marths don't like to jab them, which is the best option tbh, cause you can punish ftilted missiles
If they're spamming FAir it works pretty well. You just have to know when they're going to jump and time it accordingly. You can force them to the ground for a while at least and it applies a little bit of pressure that they can't punish, so you might be able to get an approach out of it.

You're also safe from powershield since the missiles will destroy each other. :laugh:

Also if you mix it up and they start jabbing everytime you shoot a missile you can try to approach instead of shooting the second missile. Marth is all about mindgames and being the right distance away since everything he does outprioritizes you with proper spacing.

If he's really, really campy, start charging your charge shot lol.

But yeah, waveland -> ftilt is another good option since you can get up on them pretty quickly if they're expecting a MC or something. I dunno if you can outprioritize a jab with it though.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Got knocked out by members of my own crew XD.
OH... the worst is when the TO doesn't organize the seeding of the bracket or the members of pools based off location. Then, you go your first game or two against your friends. Seen that happen once or twice.

I had a dream... HugS was the priest.
The way that started, I thought it was going to be a post about Samus from the angle of Martin Luther King. So, for everyone else, go back and try reading that like you would hear him speak.

Also, would divorce be "Marriage Canceling?" I bet Fox would make it OP.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
umm something weird happened today. I was playing aginst marth with my (extremely ****ty) Samus and i upb-ed from just under or just above the ledge of FD and caught marth full in the face it took him up in the air as usual and then it moved him behind me and threw him straight down and killed him.... it was an instant dunk...is that supposed to happen?

xbombr

Smash Ace
That usually happens to me if they're trying to wiggle out of it. I've seen it spike and semi-spike before. There are tons of different angles they can come out of UpB at.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
That usually happens to me if they're trying to wiggle out of it. I've seen it spike and semi-spike before. There are tons of different angles they can come out of UpB at.
I've noticed that if I hit my enemy with the first hit on up b, it usually does a semi-spike. I've done it to people hanging on the edge, as well as when we're both recovering and he's under me.

xbombr

Smash Ace
I've noticed that if I hit my enemy with the first hit on up b, it usually does a semi-spike. I've done it to people hanging on the edge, as well as when we're both recovering and he's under me.
I've seen Phanna do this in one of his combo videos. I've done it while recovering a few times as well.

UpB sends them all sorts of different directions, so if they break out at the right time, then who knows exactly what angle they're going to go at. It only makes sense that some of the hits have a more downward trajectory otherwise they wouldn't get sucked into you when you hit them from below.

resTy

Smash Champion
Thanks, bruh.
That particular set is kinda whack because Smeesh played pretty trash.
He's actually really good and usually beats me.
This was the newest footage of me though so I thought I'd share.

Geist

Smash Master
Yeah I saw the other vids of you two playing too haha.
But your technique is pretty clean.

Makes me wish my cube didn't cack

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
I desperatly need to get some vids up. No one here records though...
I have a splitter, I just need to get a recording device. Looking into camcorders with vcr record, since I don't have a laptop, which means no dazzle for me. :psycho:

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
On second thought, I think I'll look into that easycap thing that xbombr was talking about :colorful:
My uncle owns a pawn shop, I could probably get a good laptop there cheap :p

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Tyser, something I noticed that made me go '???'

Often when you're landing, you have plenty of time to shoot a missle but don't. If you're not going to waveland closer, there's never really any reason to just fall after landing a Bair blankly.

Just a thought.

And you kept utilting/other attacks repeatedly even when someone was landing on a platform. Just nair if they go high (bair/uair/whatever?)

Little things like that all over the place.

You got skills, but you keep doing (not doing) little simple things that could fill in the gaps in your game.

Just my thoughts, don't take them too seriously. :\

resTy

Smash Champion
It's part of my mindgames XD j/k j/k.

I don't like shooting missiles every chance I get because missiles get me into more trouble than I like, mostly. I do aerials then wavedash away typically. It's just what I do. I'll take your advice though, see how it works out.

I do Utilt when people are landing because if I get the spacing correct, I can hit them from the ground when they land on a platform. Nair is probably a better option but there is a chance it'll send em the other direction which I don't like, not to mention Utilt sends them further than Nair does.

I'll definitely consider your input though; I'll try applying it next time I play games.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
If you land an aerial, there's no point in WDing AWAY. WD TOWARDS and ftilt/utilt/whatever. Keep your advantage. Or missile if you can't get there in time. ;)

Missed Utilt < Nairing the wrong way.

Just my thoughts on your johns. LOL ;)

You know what to do, you got this.

Mendoza

Smash Apprentice
Some moar, if anyone is interested:

Tyser vs. Dekline 1
Tyser vs. Dekline 2

Feel free to critique because I wanna get better.
Spacing dtilt is hot against heavy characters and spacies. They are combo-able at lower percents with more dtilts, fsmash or dsmash. Anytime I saw you read the tech, you should dtilt instead of fsmash, unless fsmash is going to get them off the stage or if it's guaranteed kill. Tech chase charge shots and grabs should also be implemented. Samus should have a charge shot at all times. Also, when you shoot missiles against a shielding enemy, I never saw you go for grab, you would try to jab or ftilt or something.
All and all, you're pretty good though.

On a side note, dair is the Samus metagame.

xbombr

Smash Ace
Spacing dtilt is hot against heavy characters and spacies. They are combo-able at lower percents with more dtilts, fsmash or dsmash. Anytime I saw you read the tech, you should dtilt instead of fsmash, unless fsmash is going to get them off the stage or if it's guaranteed kill. Tech chase charge shots and grabs should also be implemented. Samus should have a charge shot at all times. Also, when you shoot missiles against a shielding enemy, I never saw you go for grab, you would try to jab or ftilt or something.
All and all, you're pretty good though.

On a side note, dair is the Samus metagame.
DAir is not the Samus metagame. It's a gimmicky option that gets punished hard if it isn't set up for properly. It's good if you've got the reads, but it's high-risk, moderate-reward against anything other than misspaced/wiffed-attack-below-you. >_>

Fsmash has more range and can set up further tech chases as well as knock them off the stage at a very favorable angle more easily. Dtilt can combo, but you're only getting 1 more (maybe 2) hits at the most at low-mid %'s. It's situational based on stage positioning which should be used, imo.

Tech chase grab? You'd have to have mad prediction skills and timing for that, otherwise you're the one that ends up getting punished. You can pull it off every once in a while, but you have to know their tech patterns pretty well. Tech chase charge shots are alright, but generally you're only going to have 1 fully charged shot against them per stock, 2 at the most or they're doing it wrong.

Jab/Ftilt after missiling is called shield pressure. It's a hell of a lot safer because if they jump OoS over your missile then you aren't stuck in Samus's extremely laggy grapple animation. It takes away your ability to punish their jump with an aerial too. Jumping over a missile is a very common reaction. You'd have to know 100% they're going to sit in their shield and not move one bit.

Mendoza

Smash Apprentice
DAir is not the Samus metagame. It's a gimmicky option that gets punished hard if it isn't set up for properly. It's good if you've got the reads, but it's high-risk, moderate-reward against anything other than misspaced/wiffed-attack-below-you. >_>
I understand the 'risks' of the move. I'm not like a scrub or anything, and I'm 100% serious that dair is ****ing great. You seem so pessimistic when it comes to this discussion, like if it's gimmicky, or risky, don't use it. It's that kind of mentality that is keeping the Samus meta game down. Just disregarding the move because you don't use it... well, it's your loss. But i've been extensively playing around with it in tourney, and I feel that it's a move that should see more play. More than just a meteor as an attempt to edgeguard, it's on stage uses are amazing. I wish I had some video, but in essence, it has proved to work really well on specific matches. (Jiggs, Peach, Gannon...) I'm not saying use it all the time, but just try putting it in your game.

Fsmash has more range and can set up further tech chases as well as knock them off the stage at a very favorable angle more easily. Dtilt can combo, but you're only getting 1 more (maybe 2) hits at the most at low-mid %'s. It's situational based on stage positioning which should be used, imo.
Dtilt is so great as a tech chase, trust me. It's also good on spacies, because of which the angle it pops them up, you can always fsmash, always. If I read a techroll to the edge of the stage, am I going to dtilt instead of knocking them off with a fsmash? No. Im saying that situationally racking up damage is more important then going for fsmashes all the time. Dtilt is also much safer than dsmash in most situations, because if it is shielded, it pushes them away, as opposed to bringing them in, and its much faster. Fsmash is a great move, don't get me wrong, but dtilt is another move that I feel is underutilized.

Tech chase grab? You'd have to have mad prediction skills and timing for that, otherwise you're the one that ends up getting punished. You can pull it off every once in a while, but you have to know their tech patterns pretty well. Tech chase charge shots are alright, but generally you're only going to have 1 fully charged shot against them per stock, 2 at the most or they're doing it wrong.

Jab/Ftilt after missiling is called shield pressure. It's a hell of a lot safer because if they jump OoS over your missile then you aren't stuck in Samus's extremely laggy grapple animation. It takes away your ability to punish their jump with an aerial too. Jumping over a missile is a very common reaction. You'd have to know 100% they're going to sit in their shield and not move one bit.
I understand shield pressure. :ohwell:
Tech chase jump cancel grabs are so good, dude. Trust me.
But if your so certain that they are shielding missiles in the first place, grab their *** out of it. Most of the time when I find myself shield pressuring, I felt that if I could have just grabbed. More often then not, when opponents are going to jump, they'll do it before you get into grab range anyway. Shield pressure is good, but only if you do something with it. Just jab ccancel jab over and over isn't threatening. You have to mix that **** up. Mind games, son. You're too pessimistic to try new things, I assume.

resTy

Smash Champion
If you land an aerial, there's no point in WDing AWAY. WD TOWARDS and ftilt/utilt/whatever. Keep your advantage. Or missile if you can't get there in time. ;)

Missed Utilt < Nairing the wrong way.

Just my thoughts on your johns. LOL ;)

You know what to do, you got this.
I like running away. It's what I do, although sometimes I'll get a little overzealous and try to be aggressive. I do best when it comes to not approaching my opponents which is why I run even if I hit them, unless they're high %. Also, IMO, people aren't used to people straight up running to the other side of the stage. They usually get pissed off at me and think I'm insulting them, which will mess up their head and give me the advantage, hopefully XD.

I don't like doing aerials that often. I do them somewhat frequently, but I try to not do em. When I full hop aerials, it's an accident. I specialize in ground game which is why I stay grounded, or at least try to stay grounded more than in the air. Samus sucks balls in the air, so I try to avoid it at all costs.

XD I love to john. It's fun and sparks conversation, except usually in a bad way XD

Tech chase jump cancel grabs are so good, dude.
I do this somewhat frequently, or at least I think about doing them somewhat frequently. It's just to demoralize my opponent though. Who gets tech chased grabbed by Samus, honestly XD.

Also, thanks for the input and for watching my vids, Mendoza and Dyna.

Geist

Smash Master
I totally agree with Mendoza

Dair is amazing lol the hitbox is actually pretty massive. It covers about 90% of the platforms on Yoshi's. I much prefer to use Dair than Nair when chasing someone through platforms, Nair is good at killing %s but Dair sets them up for a Nair anyways (or a powerbeam utilt etc.)
I spam the **** out of Uair too. Landing with a Uair pretty much has no consequences if you Lcancel. You can throw out a jab if they shield before their shield lag goes away.

In most situations Dtilt is a better option than dsmash. They have almost identical frame rates in terms of start up, but Dtilt is faster. Also I find Dtilt's trajectory a little more reliable.

Tech chase jump cancel grabs are so good, dude. Trust me.
Tech chance with extendeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrr

xbombr

Smash Ace
All the dair hitbox frames fused together:

So good for platform tech chases.
Lol DAir ***** on platforms.

I just have a conservative style, Mendoza. I use DAir whenever I can without overusing it in situations that I can be punished easily for it in. NAir is often a better option even though DAir has a better payoff.

I don't overuse DAir, but I still use it quite a bit. I'm just saying that it's more punishable than other options.

I also use Dtilt a lot, but it replaces my dsmash, not my fsmash. I'll Dtilt centerstage, but Fsmash knocks them far enough in most instances that you can set them up for an edgeguard. It's just a stylistic difference, not something keeping the Samus metagame from advancing.

Samus play is about patience to me, not ****** them with 1 combo.

Alukard

Smash Hero
ummm ^^^^ ... have u not seen my matches LMFAO ...

or my matches with watty at ROM1 !!!

****ing Dair king and DairDEVIL LMFAO ...

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I do best when it comes to not approaching my opponents which is why I run even if I hit them

I specialize in ground game which is why I stay grounded, or at least try to stay grounded more than in the air. Samus sucks balls in the air, so I try to avoid it at all costs.
Johns XD

Seriously though, if you're going to run and not approach, you might as well shoot a missile to make THEM approach. :\

Yes stay on the ground LOL. Samus NEEDS to stay there, but if you're garaunteed a good hit from going in the air, do it. :p

I spam the **** out of Uair too. You can throw out a jab if they shield before their shield lag goes away.

In most situations Dtilt is a better option than dsmash. They have almost identical frame rates in terms of start up, but Dtilt is faster. Also I find Dtilt's trajectory a little more reliable.
Uair and Dair are both beast. Dair>plops up for Nair, Uair>dash away pivot fsmash. TOOOO good.

Dtilt sets up Bair nicely. :D
Can't reject the dsmash though, it's beast. Using both in the same series of events = sexy.

All the dair hitbox frames fused together:

So good for platform tech chases.
Beast
Samus play is about patience to me, not ****** them with 1 combo.
Patience, prediction and pacifism. LOL

Top Bottom