• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mostly Critique Thread; COMPLETELY UPDATED 3/11/10; Just for Scabe! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Alrighty, have you already edited the first post yet? I'll try and critique them all. I like the new psuedo-rule by the way. :)

Oh by the way you can take away my vids from the critiquing. They're all old friendlies and I'm pretty sure some nice people already critiqued them plus I've improved alot from then. So just move them into the video archive or something.

I'll have some new tourney one's coming up soon, I'll post up ones where I get ***** for critiquing and I'll post up a whole bunch just for an enjoyment archive type thing. Doubles/Pools/Bracket/Friendly matches against tough opponents will be included! :bee:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I must have missed some of the critique for you. :p

I'll fix that later (along with a lot more stuff), have to go for now.

ndayday

BRoomer
To be honest with you, play better opponents and record the matches. That will help you. Otherwise, we're forced to critique situations that shouldn't be happening, and that IMO would be detrimental to you.

Maybe someone else will think differently then me, so don't take my advice too heavily I guess.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
yeah i was hoping to get critique without my opponents taken into consideration

theyre rather easy, i agree i need better ones

ndayday

BRoomer
Alright, then I'll critique the vids later tonight and write up a huge post. At least you understand that your opponents aren't very good though.

I'll edit it into this post.

Just_Jo

Smash Rookie

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I main Lucario with Link so I can help with this.

First off, your rolling too much. Peace was able to punish you for this multiple times and it made your camp game less effective. When camping Lucario you need to keep moving around by Short hopping and running backwards, it's just better for setting up camping since you want to limit how much time Lucario has to charge Aura Sphere.

Speaking of Aura Sphere, here's a trick to stop Aura Sphere, bombs will cancel them out at any percentage Lucario is at. Arrows if charged can cancel it out until 110%, Boomerang can work for a while but no where as long. Lucario isn't going to be camping you if you bomb Aura Sphere and keep your camp game going good enough to limit his charging.

Be less predictable with Stage get-ups, I'd Z-regrab the stage once to mix up my get up a bit to make Lucario think more before you get up from the stage.

You're blowing yourself up with bombs way too much, I sometimes do it on accident myself but you did it way more than necessary. Try and get some more control on that.

Try and abuse Link's range more, on the ground Link outranges Lucario, except for Fsmash but the move has notable start-up which can be taken advantage of it you predict it. Lucario typically likes to approach with Fair, mostly because the move at low % has a few follow-ups after the first Fair. Zair will answer this, as long ar you stay in a neutral position/retreating it should stop him, you could also advancing zair but thats harder to do with Lucario's range of disjoint. Link's Fair can outrange Lucario's, but it has more start-up.

Grab and Utilt do simular things for Lucario in terms of follow ups, but mostly Lucario is going to approach with spaced, Ftilt, Fsmash, Fair, and Aura Sphere.

I'd jab more, it helps keep spacing against some character who have less range than Link does. Lucario does have answers but they have more start-up for it and he has to space them correctly.

You did well with your DI, Link will love longer and kill earlier than vice versa. You lived til around 150% which is good for DI, you also sometimes momentum canceled to even help further your ability to survive, good job on this.

I like your Link, it's good, I just posted a wall of text that was more than necessary for this.

pulse131

Smash Ace
New Vids! ...ish
Finally got some vids converted, thanks to afro. (great guy btw icon_razz)
anyway, there from quite a while ago, not too long after arkive's DI vid was released, not my latest and greatest but its something. Oh, and afro's net was going slow or something, so the quality is...meh. it kinda makes it go slower, thus look a little different, but whatev. i was supposed to get a recording device for my bday, but i got the wrong thing, but soon, hopefully, ill get the write dazzle product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN5_LKE24Fo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMUaVph_lho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3lxn2IKNdw

turns out the sound is off, o well.

parade17

Smash Cadet
NNID
chuck2FP

Rizen

Smash Legend
Nice match. You should adjust the aspect ratio under options>screen to full screen. The tall characters threw me off at first.
Your game is well rounded and you know when to do what. You also don't over 'dazzel' with ATs and get owned as a result. Good use of platforms.

Work on spacing a little farther than you were for standard attacks and don't approach characters you don't need to. That C Falcon could have powershielded and countered several times. A few times you stood still or approached when you could have been short hop spamming. Zair/range spam from far away, save a bomb for mindgames or Ubomb it if C Falcon's far enough. CF must approach. Some CFs have better approaches and counters than that one.

Overall: good job.

Rizen

Smash Legend
(Double post, sue me.)
That was a good Snake. If snake's spamming, use boomerangs, Zair and arrows (quickdraw or SHed) to out spam him. Bombs won't work. Nair>fast fall Snake's Usmash missles, Link will push down through them and hit snake with good timing. The main thing to work on is using the right aerial attack at the right time. You miss some Fair/Zair oppertunities by Dair/Uairing. Zair more vs big characters. Fast fall missed Nair/Bair/Fair/Zairs and regroup sooner. Start Aerial attacks earler, you want the atttack to be starting slightly before snake's close enough to be hit.

Good bomb use besides trying to out spam snake. Space Ubombs and edge guarding better and you would have KOed him a few times. Invincibomb when he's too close. Boomerang and low arrows stop his DACUS: snake's main approach.

That snake was hard, you fought well. Refine your spacing and rely more on tactics snake can't match like Zair and faster spamming and you'll beat him.

parade17

Smash Cadet
NNID
chuck2FP
Thanks

(Double post, sue me.)
That was a good Snake. If snake's spamming, use boomerangs, Zair and arrows (quickdraw or SHed) to out spam him. Bombs won't work. Nair>fast fall Snake's Usmash missles, Link will push down through them and hit snake with good timing. The main thing to work on is using the right aerial attack at the right time. You miss some Fair/Zair oppertunities by Dair/Uairing. Zair more vs big characters. Fast fall missed Nair/Bair/Fair/Zairs and regroup sooner. Start Aerial attacks earler, you want the atttack to be starting slightly before snake's close enough to be hit.

Good bomb use besides trying to out spam snake. Space Ubombs and edge guarding better and you would have KOed him a few times. Invincibomb when he's too close. Boomerang and low arrows stop his DACUS: snake's main approach.

That snake was hard, you fought well. Refine your spacing and rely more on tactics snake can't match like Zair and faster spamming and you'll beat him.
Thanks for watching the video, I really appreciated. I'll keep in mind everything you said here, I hope you watch the new ones.

Thanks for your time and words. Bye

ndayday

BRoomer
Nice match. If you want, I could add it to the thread.

What'd you place?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Oh yeah add it to the thread. I came 5th out of 23 people using only Link. The Wario I played there, ended up winning the Tourney.

ndayday

BRoomer
Yeah, definitely adding that. Good job on the tourney btw.

[collapse=whoa]This is as good a time as any, so;
What do you guys think I should do to improve this thread? Things you'd like to see, whatever.[/collapse]

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I love you Red Ryu :love:

How did you do that cool forum code NDayday? I think this thread is fine, since there's not much going on in these forums. At least you update them and stuff. :)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I think I know what went wrong, you lost control of the center area under the platform and your spam game was less powerful after you took his first stock off. The lack of projectiles is probably why control of the center was lost, it really helped you force him to shield and punish his approaches easier.

Your get-ups from the ledge were getting predictable, you kept doing the same get up attack over and over. I think the Wario was picking up on this when he tried to Fsmash you when you did a get up attack.

When you fell into the laser it looks like near the end you SDI'd out but at the beginning you stayed in it until you realized you were stuck.

Scabe you momentum cancel like a champ. I'm pretty sure every time you got hit you did a FF bair to live longer, nice job.

Your Zair was spot on with usage. The Wario backed off or ate damage when you used it correctly.

I think what you did wrong was get more close up when mid range camping to force an opening was the way to play against him.

You got 5th though which is a great job, I even think your Link is more solid than mine is. Congrates hope you place better in the future.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Holy, you pretty much nailed alot of things. Thanks so much for taking the time for that. It's true that I have quite bad stage control, it's one of those things that I always forget to do.

The lack of projectiles is probably why control of the center was lost, it really helped you force him to shield and punish his approaches easier.
This really stuck out for me. Remembering the match, I think projectiles got less and less.

ndayday

BRoomer
Could definitely tell you were kinda scared of getting grabbed.
Really, when you got grabbed you just made dumb mistakes.

-Threw Gale's from an absurdly short distance from them. Got shielded > grab.
-Landed right in front of them right after getting rid of your bomb. (two times)
-Your jab got PS'd. (two times)

You only got consistently CG'd two times I think, but still.

Run moar I guess. They're hard to approach. Also, hold on to your bombs.

Rizen

Smash Legend
That ICs gave you a lot more freedom than some would have. Biggest mistake: too few indirect bombs. In an IC match Ubomb a ton and try to hold the other. Most of your Fbombs should have been Zair, boomerang or arrows. Bomb Fsmash and take advantage of the 2 ICs 8 frames shield start difference if you're going to attack close. SH>spam or powershield icebergs, don't approach.

Scabe

Successful Businessman

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Scabe

Successful Businessman
So far I've only watched the first vid. I have alot of Snake experience. Some say it's an even matchup but I think it's really hard.

Your Link reminds me of me with my spotdodging habit. :chuckle:

Anyways with Snake's Ftilt you can actually shield grab his second Ftilt despite how far it knocks you back, so don't like spot dodge after that. Also, spotdodging against snake's first jab is generally bad since he can get a free hit on you.

Generally with Snake you can outcamp him, you need to work on a better spamming game with Link and force Snake to approach you instead of the other way round.

Try and recover with Zair more. When Link uses his Up B like that and misses the sweet spot and is flying in the air, opponent gets a free hit not only that they can grab you and do an air release which makes it harder for Link to recover.

When your opponent's in the invincibility frames after a stock, a trick that I like to do is to throw a bomb up near the ledge and ledge camp until the invincibility frames are gone. To be honest I haven't really mastered it, but in theory it sounds great :p

In terms of spam you want to shoot arrows, like full hop arrows when the opponent is far. Use bombs for like shield pressure (bomb bouncing off shield) and combos, and usually boomerang to like to mix things up. So I usually use boomerang first so that the opponent has to deal with that then I throw a bomb when the opportunity arrives.

You'll find that alot of opponents will charge in to attack Link since they get sick of the spam. This Snake's no exception, when you see opponent's dashing in like that to use a dash attack or DACUS, predict it with a jab, grab, or fsmash, to their face.

Learn, the double arrow in the air. Your use of Dair is cool :cool: You picked up on his habit of sheilding alot so then you used your grab alot which is good.

Anyways, I couldn't be bothered double checking this, so at the moment it's just some thoughts I had. I'll try critique some more of your vids since you deserve it. :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ Red Ryu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLAUxCvXNwc

What Scabe said about Zair.
+ You're spacing way to close. Link shouldn't stay in the air but he should SH>fast fall a LOT. Spam by SHing arrows and save bombs for mindgames until snake approaches, then trade arrows for Zair. SH an arrow then quickdraw and charge it a little; quickdraw reduces the starting lag. SH Fair/Nair/Bair/Zair>fast fall instantly can land and attack. Try Bair>fast fall>Dsmash kind of things. Mix Utilts and Fsmashes in with your Dsmashes.
Bombs are fast and one of the highest priority, most versatile attacks in the game if you have one in hand. Don't just Fbomb them. Combine them with other attacks like Zair>bomb Fsmash or Zair>Fbomb>dash attack. Jump>Dbomb>Nair>Fast fall.
Generally reduce lag with SH to fast fall on landing canceling attacks, Zair more, make him approach, and tether recover.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Good **** Jo, you played real well against Zelda especially in the first match.

Listen to the commentary, they were pretty helpful with picking up some of the things you did. Some things I noticed neutral air's in front of your opponent which is a free grab from them. If your going to do that try to get behind them or out of shield grab range.

Try to remain calm, and not get greedy with Dair's and second hit of forward smash which is real laggy when missed and sometimes you used those moves at low percentages.

Against Snake, you did the jump from the ledge pretty much everytime you were the edge, and DarkM picked up on that and did punished you hard with Snake's N-air and back air. So vary what you do from the ledge.

I'm also proud of you with sticking with Link you pulled of some amazing things, your Link is ****. I'm not sure if you'll be back to read this, because it seems like you just come to put up your videos.

ndayday

BRoomer
...I really need to update this.

Somebody smack me or something.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Wow Triple post. I rule. :cool:

Anyways how do you guys think Link should be played in doubles? What do I do wrong in this match and some of the good things I do as a supporting team mate? (if there is any). I really would like critiquement on this one.

'This Is It!' 31/1/10, Doubles Tourney Match -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvAnvSgj7BM

Hyrule Kings of Swing

Scabe :link2: + Silfa :dk2:
vs
Elysium
Atyeo :snake: + Tedeth :wario:

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ Scabe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvAnvSgj7BM

I haven't partnered with DK, but based on other team matches:
Work out move combos that allow your partner to hit with a big attack and vise-versa. Link Link Zair's and DK Dsmash/Fsmashes. DK Up'B's near the ground and Link Dairs the opponent from above or grabs their shield. If DK's in trouble a SH arrow is fast and flies across the stage. Arrows can be important annoyances with your Zair. Space with DK from a little farther than Zair's reach in general and work to help eachother hit the opponents. DK's armor frames on his up'B' + Link's Zair>grab game might lead to wicked combos. Link can Jump arrows over DK while he guards the ground if one opponent's gone. DK's Fthrow carry + Link's Dair could be very effective. Plan spacing with your partner so an 'annoying distraction' move lets their power move hit. In teams Link's Double Fsmash has a better chance of hitting; use it if you're on the outside facing in or the other team is close together. DK has little to save Link so don't play by edges. Link can save DK with arrows and bombs. Boomerangs have little use in this match.

If snake's spamming SH arrow him then Zair his approach. Quickdraw or throw a boomerang forwards to stop his DAC. He'll out spam your bombs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom