• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Olimar Stage Discussion

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
little note about this stage is getting stage control is impossible, with sharking, the hill area just being avoided, lava, the off stage platforms, we lose one of our biggest assets and then even though we kill earlier its hard to use that >_> even though being on that top platform+upsmash kills way to early...also, IIRC you get lots more yellows on this stage which if correct actually helps a lot for our aerial spam

Noa.

Smash Master
I don't find this stage bad at all, except against MK and Wario?. It doesn't make a good counterpick though.

It wouldn't be such a bad idea to take it against characters with bad airgames maybe. I find it difficult to really discuss this stage since it's so strange.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
No one generally enjoys playing here that's why it's not often counter picked, or used in general.
The only people who really try to take you here are Wario's and smart Ness'.

I've been away for a while how do we rap up with a summary and move on to a different stage.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Basically what I'm seeing is that it's not a bad stage because of what the stage does to us, but rather what it allows certain opponents to do to us. Characters that can take advantage of the sharking possibilities, the extended hitboxes, and/or the small size do well against us because we can't take advantage of said qualities as well. There are other qualities for the stage that we hare able to take advantage of, which have been stated earlier, but can oftentimes be overshadowed by how our opponent's character operates on the stage. We'll wrap up the discussion soon and move to another stage. Any suggestions? I'm thinking something simple and quick like Lylat. What do you all think?

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Im interested to see what people say about lylat. I have almost no experience on this stage. Is it good? And japes wud be cool afterwards.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Lylat's a good one.

Should we discuss PS2 soon or later? People don't seem to know what it does to us (so I assume it isn't that common), but it does seem like something that needs to be resolved at some point.
Most people also don't have much experience there, so there might not be much to say.
I'm confusing myself, sorry.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Pokemon Stadium 2 we won't be doing for a long while. It's not legal in most regions (it's barely even legal in MW!) and even when it is, it's rarely counterpicked against us.

I'll separate the stages into these sections:

Simple Stages
Halberd
Lylat Cruise

More Complicated Stages
Castle Seige
Delfino Plaza*
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise

Stages You'll Only See In The Midwest
Distant Planet
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Jungle Japes*
Pirate Ship

Stage You Probably Won't Even See In The Midwest (?)
Pokemon Stadium 2
Port Town Aero Dive
Yoshi's Island Pipes

Stages that I'm going to save for awhile. I have a lot to write up about the stages and a few things I want to research about them (mainly Delfino) before much discussion starts.

So right now I want to take care of the first two sections first, we'll be moving onto Lylat Cruise soon.

Noa.

Smash Master
Lylat is nice against Diddy.

Tilting doesn't really affect our recoverey, ironically.

It certainly changes camping matchups as whoever has the lower ground has the advantage.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Lylat Cruise

Summary: The bane of many recoveries, lylat has a reputation at being the fault of many accidental suicides. However this is not the case for Olimar! In fact, at times our recovery is even helped by the stage when it tilts certain ways! Due to this, Olimar avoids a problem while the character he's facing usually ends up getting messed up by the stage. The tilting of the stage also helps us in messing up opponent's approaches and ground options as well, and the platforms are great for pressure. Lylat is a solid stage for Olimar and there aren't many characters I wouldn't to face here.

Pros:
-Opponent will most likely be harmed when having to recover on against the ledges, while the same isn't said for Olimar
-Recovering is made a bit easier when the ledge is tilted downward
-Having the low ground increases olimar's grab effectiveness
-Having the high ground increases olimar's fsmash effectiveness
-Platforms work great for usmash/uair pressure
-Platforms make it easier to get back on stage when on the ledge and being pressured

Cons:
-?

Counterpick:
:diddy: :pikachu2: :popo: :wolf: :luigi2:

Neutral: Meta Knight, Game and Watch

Ban:
Nobody?

Strike Against: Snake, Pit

Pluck Percentages
Main Stage: 20%, 30%, 20%, 15%, 15%

Return to Stage Directory

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'm certain everyone already knows this, but Uairing through the wing areas is fun. ^^

Which characters have recoveries that are really affected by the tilting? The only ones I remember are Fox, Falco, Wolf, Marth, and Mario.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Falco isn't messed up by it as much, wolf is the main one. The mother kids get ****ed by it too, luigi a little bit, pikachu a lot.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Increased Yellow count, jacks with Pika's recovery, sounds like a great place to bring him.

Denti

Smash Master
I don't like Lylat too much, i should probably use it more. its 3 platforms are fantastic for olimars. our grab game isn't as useful as it is on most stages though. but our juggle game gets more helps. i like grabbing too much to use this stage loads.

Noa.

Smash Master
In all honesty I can't think of a character not to take here since it really helps our game a lot.

It's good against a variety of characters, and I think it's one of Oli's better stages.

4/5

~Amaterasu~

Smash Apprentice
the curving level seems to help when youre at the bottom~ the platforms are different than BF though. they still help but not as much it seems @_@
I wouldnt take a snake here denti - cant think of many chars ive played on this stage other than him that I dun like

Noa.

Smash Master
The platforms help a lot since they're angled and low, making it easy to land on them without getting punished.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Alrighty. This is a really basic stage for Olimar overall, but it's really weird for a lot of characters, which can be a good or bad thing for us. Characters I would definitely consider taking here are Pikachu, Diddy, and (of course) Wolf. The stage messes up pika's recovery and the increase in yellow pikmin make the matchup better for us, eliminating most of his ways to get the pikmin off without putting himself in danger. As for wolf, the slant of the stage makes it more difficult for him to outcamp us, while the edges obviously **** up his recovery (moreso his Side-B than his UpB.)

Do not fight snake here. Strike it first. I'm not a fan of MK on the stage either. The slant of the stage seems to make it easier for him to get in through our fsmashes (a valuable tool at keeping him out) although landing grabs are a bit easier.

It's an okay stage to take Falco, but don't be fooled into thinking the stage ****s him up. The edge doesn't mess up his recovery as much as it does wolf, or even fox. The slant actually helps his camp against us if he has the low ground so be careful. Basically, in this matchup, whoever has the low ground has the advantage. Also, the platforms seem to benefit him more than they do us in this matchup >.> I do like the lylat platforms overall though, especially the two on the sides. It seems it makes it more difficult for our opponents to get back on stage, while giving us an easier way to get back, if that makes any sense.

Which brings me to why I say this is the best stage to take diddy. Not because of how the platforms **** up bananas, but because of how they give us a better way of getting our feet back on the ground. A lot of Diddys ban Yoshi's Island because of how terrible it is for them, but I actually don't like it against Diddy. There's only one platform on the stage and it's so far from the edges (and slants up against us!) so getting back on the stage is a pain, since there's usually two bananas and a monkey waiting for us where we're wanting to land. Lylat is different, as the platform gives us more options and makes things easier on us. So yeah, take diddy here.

ummm... it's an alright stage to take ICs, again, platforms help for the same reason as diddy. Strike it against rob, the nature of the stage actually helps his camp, and these platforms assist him a lot in the matchup. As for the other characters, I really don't know :/

Guess it kinda ****s up luigi I suppose

Draco, opinion on it against peach?

Noa.

Smash Master
Lylat is definetly not bad against Peach.

The tilting stops your fsmash, bit that doesn't matter much since you shouldn't be using fsmash much anyway.

The platforms are good for recovering and Peach relies on gimps for early kills.

Yellows are by far the best pikmin in the Peach matchup, as they allow at least a chance to contend with her priority. Purples are good for knocking her out of the air.

Tilting and the terrain of the stage make it more difficult for Peach to ground float, making her approach almost solely through the air.

Tilting doesn't effect Peach's recovery.

This stage isn't ba for us against her at all probably good against her. It's
not too bad of a cp against Peach.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Well I guess we're done here >_>

Moving on? Frigate? Halberd? Castle Siege? What do you all want to move on to next?

Cook

Smash Master
Yeah, I beat Domo on Lylat, too. I like it against MK.

Also, the tilting can mess up Peach's floating and make her miss auto-cancels.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
depends really. If u wanna discuss a good oli stage and who to cp for it or frigate. Siege is supposed to be great according to dabuz aswell. Im intrested to here discussion on it.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Frigate

Summary: A simple stage in appearance, however, Frigate is considered to be one of Olimar's worst stages, if not his worst. The stage is composed of two sections that the game alternates between, with a siren alerting the players of the upcoming change.

Phase One - The first phase is a non symmetrical stage, in fact the two halves of the stage are completely different. The left half of the stage is similar to our neutrals. Flat stage with a platform. Platform is positioned well for our attacks, though a little high. The platform is large, so it's not as easy for our opponents to "trap" us on the platform, such as when we're recovering. We have more room to move around when trying to get back on the ground. The right half, however, moves vertically, being either at the same height of the left half, lower, or higher than it. To top it off, the right half doesn't have any ledges. The only ledge present in the stage is on the left side. So the ledgeless right side, combined with how it oftentimes spontaneously moves, creates recovery problems for Olimar. However, the right side, when lowered, is a safe haven for us, and gives our opponent a hard time trying to approach us. Granted, this only lasts until the right section rises again to mid level. The main problem with this stage is Olimar having a lack of safe room. If you travels too far in one direction, you'll find yourself against a ledge faster than you'd expect, oftentimes one without a ledge. Several characters work well abusing Olimar's unease near the right side, although some can't take advantage of it all too well. Also, don't be afraid to abuse this stage quality, as well. Olimar is amazing at punishing characters as they land, and can destroy characters that have problems recovering, when they have to go to drastic lengths to get back on stage. Don't chase them off stage, wait for them to get back on and then jump them.

Pros:
-Has, in most opinions, the best pluck ratio a stage can have.
-Olimar is able to take advantage of some characters' disadvantage when on the right side.

Cons:
-Ledgeless side on the right of the stage.
-Lack of room for mobility, which decreases when the right section moves up.

Phase Two - Considered by most to be the much better section for Olimar. Not only do both sides have ledges, unlike the first phase, but there are mercy platforms that come out from the right side, at times, and can assist our recovery, something that benefits Olimar greatly. There's a dip in the center of the stage that can be good or bad for Olimar, depending on what character we're facing. Most people consider this phase, even with the mercy platforms, to be bad for Olimar as well, and some have said that it is worse for him than the first section. One thing to note, is that the slants on the stage, in a way, separate the stage into sections. Olimar needs to focus on holding center ground when camping, and when the center ground is not only small, but surrounded by high ground, you'll oftentimes find the opponent getting his way in easily. While the mercy platforms do help, good Olimars are usually able to recover without them, and if you have to use them, then you're playing against a character that excels at edge guarding Olimar (Meta Knight, Marth, etc), and if that's the case, then the platforms usually won't help regardless. All in all, Frigate is considered by most to be our worst stage, although arguable.

Pros:
-Like the first phase, has the amazing pluck percentage
-Mercy platforms can help, although this isn't as major of a benefit as some think
-Spacing tools become a bit better (Grab, Fsmash) when on the sides, when the opponent is in the center, but if they break through your fortress, you've already positioned yourself near the ledge, so it's a gamble

Cons:
-Like the first phase, not much room to move around, and you'll find yourself having troubles keeping the opponent out
-Center can hurt our abilities to keep the opponent out

Counterpick:
:falco:

Ban:
:metaknight: :snake: :lucario: :rob:

Pluck Percentages
Main Stage: 20%, 30%, 20%, 10%, 20%

Return to Stage Directory

Top Bottom