• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
I'm not good, but i'm still going to tell you what i hate and what i think

1st match
-You come down with aerials a lot. Out of ~25 times that you came down with aerials (this includes jumping and doing an aerial as you come down), you only really benfitted TWICE that i could see. Most of the time you were punished for it.
-The one grab you did was OBVIOUS
-Shield dropping. I saw none. Baiting with shield dropping is too good
-One of your stocks, he came back and you ran to the edge. You lost that stock. I THINK it would have been better to run around the stage/platforms. It's safest not to cede center stage. I know samus ***** on the edge with the fair and the regrabs, but yeah.

2nd match
-The one grab you did was OBVIOUS

3rd match
-aerials again

You're doing pretty much the same stuff throughout the other matches so I'm just going to stop.
Also I would recommend that if you do work on any of them, ONLY work on one or two of them at a time so that you get them down perfect.

Remember I SUCK though lol. However, this is stuff that's been pointed out to me by people hella better than me haha and i've seen improvement.

that's about all i have
otherwise you **** and i envy your skill

Tyserification

Smash Lord
The only thing that really bothered me about your playstyle is that you throw way too many aerials without thinking about the consequences. Most of the time when Falco hit you upwards you came down with a fast fallen Dair or Nair. He could have Shined oos or Usmash oos you all day long.

In my opinion, Samus excels on the ground against Falco and in general against everyone. Work on that ground game. Power shielding will help a lot also. Dont be afraid of those lasers.

And I wanna suggest not messing around on that ledge too much. You make it pretty obvious what your intentions are when you're on there. You're probably better off getting back on the stage and then working from there.

LifeRuiner and I are in the same boat though, we suck so take our advice with a grain of salt :p

Rat

Smash Lord
thanks so much for the responses guys.

When falco hits me up I literally have no idea what to do. Bair beats everything. I'm just throwing it out there because I might as well have a hitbox out here before I get hit again. Though I can see how even mixing that up would minimize punishment.

Corigames

Smash Hero
ummm wowwwww
I know, there's a thousand things I want to say about it, but I don't want to look like I'm john-ing. So, I thought I would just put it up and test my own humility and humble-ness.

Roast me.

Do it.

(Also: Yes, I know he isn't a great Marth player. If I had awesome people to constantly play with, then my absence from Melee wouldn't have happened. He enjoys the game. He can do some good stuff some of the time. But, on average, no one in my circle of friends is nearly as good as me which leads to no one getting better. Not to mention all I become is the guy that's like, "Yeah, well I'm the best kid on my block." bull****.)

Corigames

Smash Hero
I like my spacing at the start of this match.
That first stock went down fast with some good application of tilts.
Maybe running past him was a bad idea the first time, but doing it twice was idiotic.
Horrible charge blast. I'm hoping that, at the time, I just accidently shot it isntead of a missile.
Full jump homing missile, it leaves you open for a long time. Be careful with that.
The grab at 0:26 ... :D
I shouldn't have tried to Utilt his get up attack. WD back into tilts would have been better.
Drop the bomb, force him to go in the air, and then punish him for doing it.
Missed my Ftilt because of his forward B move, should have adjusted.
Just in range of his dash attack; need to watch that as it leads to bad places (in the air)
Jumped the powershield missile and then landed right next to him... I should have been punished, but... whatever, I'll take it.
Let him push me off the edge and then jumped back on and tried to bait him into swinging at me. Kinda worked, but was really close.
NOTE TO EVERYONE: This is why you shouldn't get grab happy. That is all.
Also, 3 cheers for smash DI down.
I was happy with my continual sweet spotted grapples.
Solid recovery after the smash DI down.
I would like to point out that what I did (grabbing the ledge) would be really risky against any other player, but I've played this guy a lot and knew it would be safe. It was just a special case scenario that I called and turned out right.
Shouldn't have rolled up. I should have ledge jumped up into a Dair or something.
Tilts :D
Why did I jab? Because I think I just failed to tilt or something :/
Hit by Fsmash and then recover high. Don't do either. Don't get hit at all actually. Gotta work on that.
Then... he kills himself >_< WTF
Started to run by him again but then remembered that I got burned last time, so I rolled out. Think it was fine.
WD back to grab. Solid.
Waited too long to hit him and he got back.
Dodge and punish. Ahh... should have been doing that the whole game.
Why did I use the third jump in that highly unuseful situation? I dunno. Maybe I thought it would be cool, but it wasn't. I diededed.
Missile. Shield. WD back from the shield grab. Titls!
Walked too far forward, should have tilted back from the edge instead of trying to go to him.
Dair to Bair. Easy combo.
Tilt guard FTW.

This is how I would have critiqued the video if it were anyone else. I would also have put a note on the end along the lines of:
"Also, that Marth wasn't that great. He obviously doesn't understand his own spacing/timing as much as he should and let a lot of punishment opportunities. I suggest uploading a video of you playing against better players."

Radical Reactor

Smash Rookie
Though your ftilts are nicely spaced, this:

This is how I would have critiqued the video if it were anyone else. I would also have put a note on the end along the lines of:
"Also, that Marth wasn't that great. He obviously doesn't understand his own spacing/timing as much as he should and let a lot of punishment opportunities. I suggest uploading a video of you playing against better players."
Don't forget to wd out of shield dsmash marth when he fsmashes your shield!

resTy

Smash Champion
Totally forgot that this thread existed O.O

Here is a set of my cousin, Mushroomring.
If you can tell me what he has to work on so that I can relay it to him, that'd be legit.
I kinda already know what he's gotta work on but he'll listen to you guys over me any day.

Mushroomring vs. Smeesh 1
Mushroomring vs. Smeesh 2

He's a Melee main gone Brawl main, meaning he only plays Melee for fun now.
It's unfortunate.

Geist

Smash Master
BRAWL MAIN?!
my first peice of advice is to play melee instead.

- Second, he plays alot like I do, and alot like how I used to. I'd try to play all fast and furious and I'd SD all the time. Tell him to work on spacing first, and to work on getting technically consistant before getting technically complicated.

- I noticed when he shffls his nair sometimes his second hit doesn't have time to come out. I don't think thats a very good habit, especially if he's spacing it too close to you.
He also full hops by accident sometimes, and misses his Lcancells.

- He needs to work on his off stage game. He gets gimped easily.

- If he covered himself better he could be a potentially great player. As it is, his defense is lacking severely. Its not that he's too agressive, it's that he uses alot of time doing uneccesary things at times where he could be better off not actually doing anything.

- He has good and bad habits. Tell him to look at his opponent while he plays, not his character. A little refining and he could have a pretty legit falcon.

As for you, you need to work on your recovery a bit more. You were getting punished big time. Sweetspot the ledge, and mix up your recovery.
And cc dsmash/dtilt and space ftilt all day against falcon. Try not to take to the air. Most of his arials can out prioritize or out range yours. Samus is heavy and floaty, so you're combo food.

resTy

Smash Champion
The last bit confused me.
Were you directing it towards me, Mushroomring, or Smeesh?
You mentioned "having a pretty legit Falcon" when I thought you were talking to Mushroomring.
Then the "as for you" thing confused me hardcore.
Mindgames?

Anyways, thanks a lot.
I'll relay the info/post to him.

Geist

Smash Master
lmao
The part starting when it says "as for you" is directed at you.

This thread always screws with me with that extra page :[

Geist

Smash Master
Does Samus fall faster in PAL? Or am I being stupid

Okay, so yeah you were right about the dash attack thing haha.
It seems to me like you're really focused on your arial game. Don't limit yourself too much, Samus's ground moves are just as good, or better than her arials.
I also recommend using more followups from your moves (dthrow to powerbeam works wonders on sheik)
and using the appropriate moves at the appropriate times etc. (example at 2:43 an fsmash would have ko'd sheik but you dsmashed)

Pi

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_NSKZFByEM

A match from a recent small tournament. I know that I dash attack too much and sometimes do bad choices that are obvious. What else can I improve?

Note: It's PAL
well first thing i notice is that you double jump a lot
it's important to save your jump
especially in match vs shiek since she has a good time of gimping you

and although i hate to do it, it's good to CC in this matchup, very good, so stay grounded against her.

her needles are annoying yes, but also not great when she shoots them from standing still, shield them and wavedash out, you have a better ground game than sheik (assuming you CC her ****), so get up in her face when you can.

(also a little note, when you are going to wavedash off the edge, or moonwalk off the edge, or whatever, fast fall onto the ledge, the difference is slight to the eye but it is noticable, so practice it a bit. Wavedash off, tap down, then quickly release. not sure if you know this or not but it can shave a few frames off and get you on the ledge quicker to snake it from someone).

when you are recovering
go for the ledge, something DJN told me was a lot of samus always try to attack back onto the stage, but really her aerials are not that good, so just get onto the ledge, and work from there. Samus has probably the most versitile ledge game of any character to be honest.

yea, at end of first match i would say overall, stay grounded more, especially on FD.

watchin 2nd match:
vs marth when you have the option, i reccomend spacing your grapple maximum distance to sweetspot the ledge, then going from there, he simply covers too many options when coming in from above, and has such an easy time edge guarding UB's that i've found this to be the best option.

and just throwing this out there to all samus's
aerial interupting is viable, is easy to perform, and grants a very reliable way to getting back onto the stage. I highly reccomend practicing and implimenting this into your game, especially vs marth. Thank you rohins for showing me this technique, and thanks to phanna for discovering it.

if you're going to challenge marth in the air, you have got to wait for him to make the first move. if both of you attack at the same time, marth is gonna win. you have to wait for him to mess up because if he knows the spacing on his ****, you're going to lose.
overall i would just reccomend not challenging him in the air, unless you are below him.

idk if this applies to all chars, but definitely in the marth matchup, do not chase him into the air immediately, wait, you can get closer to him on platforms, but wait for him to use his double jump, then you can go in, you're juss waiting for him to eliminate some of his options when you do this, when he's in the air just assume a good position to attack him if he a) does a move that misses or b) uses his double jump.

aside from that, i mean, you won, so you're doing something right, it's important to realize every time you got hit, why you got hit, though, and if there may have been a better option.

also
if you have used your double jump, locate the nearest platform, ground, whatever, and go there (unless of course that option is being covered), i try to always have my DJ, and when i use it my main focus is to get it back.

also i just wanna mention, that marths shield sucks balls, and i take great pleasure in exploiting this.

nair his head, or his feet, when you can, it'll hit, haha marth, what a bad character.
ex. if he's on a platform, if his shield is diminished at all, jump up and nair, it'll hit his feet, like all the time.
and if you are coming in from above, don't fast fall, but come in slow and then try to nair his head.
this way he'll have been shielding for too long and it'll be diminished

of course there are ways around all of this but it's something to try out and see if ti works on your opponents

xbombr

Smash Ace
and just throwing this out there to all samus's
aerial interupting is viable, is easy to perform, and grants a very reliable way to getting back onto the stage. I highly reccomend practicing and implimenting this into your game, especially vs marth. Thank you rohins for showing me this technique, and thanks to phanna for discovering it.
I've seen it done in one of phanna's videos, but have no clue what you do or what the timing is for it.

Can you please explain this for me? I'd like to implement it since it looks pretty useful. As long as it isn't too technically demanding (I.E. I can do it consistently), then I'll start using it.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
jump, then almost as soon as you're near crossing the platform, you upair

at least that's how i do it

i couldn't do it from the ledge though so i dunno

resTy

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_NSKZFByEM

A match from a recent small tournament. I know that I dash attack too much and sometimes do bad choices that are obvious. What else can I improve?

Note: It's PAL
I only watched the Marth match and here's what I came up with:

- Stop attacking so much. I understand you wanna play 100% aggro, but you need to learn how to. Every time you got hit off stage, despite your bad position of being off stage, you insisted with an aerial. Sure, the Marth got caught a lot but it was because that Marth was quite terrible to be completely straight with you. And every time you jump you typically throw a move all the time as well as when you get hit really high up, you always fall with a Dair or Nair. These are all bad habits and things that you just shouldn't be trying to abuse because it's extremely inefficient. Samus' air game sucks. Remember that.

- Use your shield more. It's makes things not hurt you.

- Learn to use jabs. They're pretty handy once you know how to use em.

- In the Marth match-up, if you know for a fact that Marth will throw Fsmash, shield that sucker and then punish with wavedash oos -> anything. You got hit with so many Fsmashes that it boggled my mind. Don't challenge moves, especially Marth's.

- Might want to utilize wavedashing more also. You use it to get in but you never use it to get out it felt like. I could be wrong though, probably am actually.

- Overall, I'd say you gotta learn some patience since I saw none of it in the matches. Need to work on your decision making and execution also.

Just my two cents, bruh.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Hey guys,
I'm not gonna post any video of my Samus as she isn't my main and I never use her in tournaments. I prefer throwing needles at her bombs while she recovers :laugh:
But that's not my point. Here in France we never had many good Samus players. We had porc (who attended Genesis), but he use Fox and Falco more and more. But recently, we had a Samus main who improved a lot and became fairly good. His name's Cyr, and since he's a bit too lazy to post here instead of just lurking, I decided to post a set he played at our last regional tournament.

His opponent is Baxon, a Falco player

Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Game 4
Game 5

Any advices ? :)

resTy

Smash Champion
Only things I would have to say is:

- Use double jumps better. It's only here and there so tweaking it shouldn't be a problem. It didn't hinder his game very much but it's good to get rid of the habit.

- He should utilize Samus' grab more. It's really good if you connect. I don't think he got any grabs.

- Learning jab canceling would probably be good too. It's Samus' only pressure after all.

- There was one more thing, but I forgot it -_-

Overall, pretty good Samus. I enjoyed watching those videos.

Geist

Smash Master
He fought that matchup by the book, pretty much. He's got all the right ideas, he just needs to refine his technique up, smooth things out, and he'll improve exponentially.

So pretty much just space better, play smarter, etc. All it takes is practice.
Good Samus though.

Agreed he does look like hugs lol
V V V

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
looks a lot like hugo imo

i hope this guy is serious, because if he is, i look forward to more of him because i still think samus is a lot better in PAL with all the nerfs to characters and such

i think hugo would **** in europe

maybe

if he can make it out of pools!

hahahaha

Alukard

Smash Hero
looks a lot like hugo imo

i hope this guy is serious, because if he is, i look forward to more of him because i still think samus is a lot better in PAL with all the nerfs to characters and such

i think hugo would **** in europe

maybe

if he can make it out of pools!

hahahaha
hey hey hey ...

me, hugo, nor spacenutz made it out ... and imo we are probably the best sami lol

resTy

Smash Champion
Hugo is definitely #1 Samus then #2 is either DJ or IHSB.
#3 is hard to say because no other Samuses do very well in big tournies.
I'd prob give it to Watty even though he's been gone for a while.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Haven't watched too much of DJ but I did like what I saw.
My personal fave is IHSB but I realise Hugo is superior. I like him alot too, he's so **** smart

Alukard

Smash Hero
its really hard to stay on point with samus ... like especially keep up ur tricks and creating the openings consistantly

melt87

Smash Cadet
Talking about best Sami... Where the hell is Dark Mike??? He was my candidate for #2, but he disappeared from the scene and the forum.

Any info about him?

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
EDIT:

actually i just found this

Ownapalooza Vol. III, 2/28/2010
Singles
1: Lucien
2: Germ
3: Dr. Midnight (Shroomed)
4: Scar
5: keira knightley (Replicate)
5: Darrell
7: HMW
7: Sfat
9: Alan
9: Hyuga
9: Hostility
9: Ky
13: Dejuan (The___Cheese)
13: DarkMike
13: L
13: Moon
17: Foonz
17: GodFed
17: Noctunalist
17: Quak
17: GK Infiniti
17: Digitalism
17: Azuza
17: JPegImage
25: K
25: Rem
25: Isis
25: Bob$ (DQ'd because he needed to take care of personal business, you guys are seriously lucky)
25: BP

Alukard

Smash Hero
EDIT:

actually i just found this

Ownapalooza Vol. III, 2/28/2010
Singles
1: Lucien
2: Germ
3: Dr. Midnight (Shroomed)
4: Scar
5: keira knightley (Replicate)
5: Darrell
7: HMW
7: Sfat
9: Alan
9: Hyuga
9: Hostility
9: Ky
13: Dejuan (The___Cheese)
13: DarkMike
13: L
13: Moon
17: Foonz
17: GodFed
17: Noctunalist
17: Quak
17: GK Infiniti
17: Digitalism
17: Azuza
17: JPegImage
25: K
25: Rem
25: Isis
25: Bob$ (DQ'd because he needed to take care of personal business, you guys are seriously lucky)
25: BP

get emmmm scar LOL

Top Bottom